Old 08-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #56

Good morning girls. I hope your morning is going well. Mine is partly good, partly not so good.

I got my swimsuits which fit perfectly, but the pants were humongous so had to send them back for a smaller size. I had Jack measure my hips so I ordered closer to them this time so . On the other side of the coin, I may not be able to finish my sweater and I am at the armholes so it is close to being done. I may run out of yarn and I spent nearly 2 hours trying to find another skein. No one in town has either the brand, or the style, or the color or all three and I went through at least 10 pages of google looking for an online store. I just need one more skein. I am not positive I don't have enough, but it is going to be mighty close. So, if I run out I did all the work for nothing. The company I bought it from doesn't even had the style anymore let alone the color. I bought what the pattern called for with some to spare on the last skein but it is going to be squeaky. I usually buy way too much so followed their yardage and this is what I get. We shall see.

Jean: Hope the picnic is not too boring! I hate using Jack's laptop. Upstairs he has a keyboard attached, but when we travel I have to use the durn one on the laptop and I hate it.

Maggie: Enjoy your stove! Happy cooking!

Everyone have a nice day today. Hello to you Susan! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Tuesday and raining

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

It is raining and coming down nice and easy so it will soak in and do some good to our area. We are putting the new flooring down where the stove will be placed so it won’t have to be moved out to do that later. The new one is to be delivered later this afternoon and they will take this old one and dispose of it. I am going to love having that flooring in the kitchen. It has done so well in the dining room and the living room down the hallway and into my office. After we finish the kitchen we will do Will’s office. Then the only carpet upstairs will be in our bedroom.

JEAN I don’t use the oven much but do use the stove top. Just cooking for the two of us I love having my counter top convection toaster oven. I do use the large oven when I am baking a large loaf of sour dough bread on a baking stone though for it does get too large while baking for the small counter top oven. Those glass top type stoves are easy to keep clean if you take care of any spills, etc. after it cools the very day you use it. They do make scrapers you can use on them if there is any build up. I had to do a lot of scraping and cleaning the stove that was in here when we moved in for the previous dweller evidently not know how to properly keep it clean. I used a lot of elbow grease and got it “new” looking after awhile.

DONNA FAYE Too bad you didn’t order the proper size and have to return the items. Hopefully they still have your proper size and you can get all the clothing you will need for your cruise all rounded up. I don’t order things by “their size charts” but by my measurements and rarely ever have gotten anything that didn’t fit. The size charts are so general and arbitrarily change. It is always to get out that ole tape measure.

Have a great day Magnolias.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #3  

Good morning to you ladies. It is so lovely and cool this morning, right around 70 degrees. I even turned off the ac and am opening the door to let the cool air in. I sat one of the big fans in front of the door up on Jack's portable laptop table and you can just feel the nice cool air coming in. It is only supposed to get to a high of 80 degrees today which will be a nice change. I have my gate locked so unless someone wants to be ambitious and climb over it, and it is 8 ft tall, I doubt I am in any danger with the door open. It is super quiet outside this morning. We have been having cicadas singing and boy do they make a racket. Last night around 6 it was so loud you could hardly hear yourself think. They are some ugly bugs for sure. Every once in awhile one will die and fall out of the trees and the things are pretty big for bugs. They always reminds me of John the Baptist out in the wilderness eating locusts and honey though locusts are actually a species of grasshopper. I would think it would take a lot of honey!

Well I had success. I was upset last night after receiving back an email from a yarn store in Southaven MS. It was my last place in town and he said he no longer carries Cascade in that style. I knew I did not have enough to finish, but thought maybe there was the same color in another yarn similar so I went to the Cascade website and they did have a yarn in that color but it was one gauge smaller. I was desperate and one thing led to another and I googled "Cascade yarn #1198" which was the color and a company called Jimmy Beans Wool popped up with not only the color but the whole shebang. I had gone into this site before and it didn't list it as one of their colors, but last night there it was and they had 35 hanks so I bought three just to make sure I had plenty. They are fast shippers from Reno so I imagine it will be shipped out today and I may have it by the weekend if I am lucky. I have only the decreasing for the neckline, the shoulders then sewing it together and knitting the neckline and the armholes.

I went up to take a shower yesterday and decided to go into my closet and pull out some summer pants and capris that haven't fit just to see if I had lost enough weight to wear them. Well hot dog, I found 3 pair of light weight cotton and krinkle cotton pants and 4 pair of capris that all fit and fit comfortably with room not snug. None of these are knit fabric so they have no give either. I am now concerned the slacks I am exchanging may still be too big but will have to wait and see. The hip sizes put me too large for one size and too small for the other. Hopefully they will be ok. It is nice to have things be too big for sure.

Maggie: I have this terrific ceramic stove cleaner I use for my stovetop and can keep mine in tip top shape. I think the biggest thing is keeping it clean and not let spills build on top of each other. I clean my stove everyday after every use so just in case I spilled something or something overflowed a bit it doesn't sit and get something spilled on top of that. Best way for your stove to stay in great shape. My stove is 12 years old and the top looks practically brand new.

You all have a great middle of the week. I need to go and put clothes in the dryer. Faye
Old 08-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #4  

Good Morning, Flowers! I am up early for a 7:30 lab appointment and then see the doctor at 9:30. It's still dark outside but think it is supposed to be a nice day. The picnic last night was "ok" and same as every other year. The guys grilled pork burgers, and bought deli salads and fruit, no dessert bars nor cookies. There were kids there and I would have thought they would at least have chips and carrot sticks for them.

My computer is home again and the guy couldn't find anything wrong with it. He dumped some spyware and things that have gotten downloaded that I didn't need. He thought maybe part of the problem is the router is downstairs while the computer is upstairs meaning well constructed house materials and insulation between the two could cause interference with connecting to the wireless and speed when searching for something.

"Gma" -- I'm so glad you were able to find the yarn you need to finish your sweater! What a nice surprise to be able to find "new" clothes that fit while shopping in your closet! Congrats on another loss this week! I'm sorry about the too big pants but glad the swimsuits fit. I haven't heard any locusts yet. Doesn't that mean 6 weeks until frost?

Maggie -- Please send some rain our way! We are so dry. I, too, have special cleaner and scrubby "thing" for my stove. I clean it after every use if necessary.

I'm off to figure out what I'm wearing. Just remembered I have lunch bunch at noon today. Hope you all enjoy a wonderful Wednesday!

Last edited by Jean; 08-14-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #5  

Good morning, ladies! 67 degrees ... and rain. Only supposed to be in the high 70s today so a nice respite from the heat.

Last night was quilt guild and we had a very good speaker from Charlottesville. She is very artistic in her work and they are beautiful. Her husband is career Army (still in it in intelligence) and she had incorporated some of his old uniforms into some of her quilts.

Just work and housework until Friday night and then it will be lock-in. Well, I do have the Y as well. They put out list of school supplies needed to fill backpacks for kids so I went and got enough for 3. It wasn't that expensive at Walmart. I also volunteered to take a child shopping next week. We go in groups of 10, each child having a volunteer, to Kohl's. The budget is $125 for each child and we help them choose and try on. There will be a total of 150 children in this and it's all contributions from Y members.

Yesterday there were 2 little kids not more than 10 years old who had set up a lemonade stand on the corner. I stopped and they said the lemonade was 25 cents and they also had cotton candy for 75 cents. I didn't really want either but told them I'd take lemonade and gave them $1 because they said they were collecting the money for the Animal Shelter. Hopefully they don't have to pay for the ingredients because they gave me a 16 ounce cup full to the brim - no ice available. So lukewarm lemonade. They were just so cute I couldn't say no.

I thought I was going to finally get a truck. I've always wanted a Dodge Ram with extended cab so I've been looking. Trouble is, I'm just too old and short for that big thing, even with a running board. I can't see me getting into it when I'm in my 80s. So I'll look for something smaller. I don't plan on buying one right now unless I can get a really good deal. Every time I take my Neon to be serviced, Rick tells me to drive it until the wheels fall off because its still in excellent condition. Only had that one round of repairs last year and it's 10 years old. I still get 33 mpg, too.

Faye, congratulations on the weight loss. I hope all your new clothes aren't too big by the time you go on your cruise...but that would also be a nice thing. You are doing so well. I'm glad you found your yarn. We had those darn locusts earlier in the summer. They sure are annoying and nasty looking.

Jean, tea is a meal. In England they have afternoon tea and high tea. High tea is not what most people think - it's equivalent to our light supper. Afternoon tea is what we have and at that you have finger sandwiches and sweets and scones. They are only 2 bites so not real big. We had chicken salad, Smithfield ham salad, pimento cheese (a staple of the south), cucumber and cream cheese, smoked salmon, and egg salad for the savory. The sweets were meringes filled with real unsweetened whipped cream and topped with blueberries and raspberries, lemon tarts, maids-of-honors (tiny tarts - pastry shell, then a layer of jam, and then a very thin layer of cake batter and then they are baked), swiss cake roll filled with unsweetened whipped cream and apricot jam. The scones were lemon-poppy seed and current for the sweets and cheese for the savory. They are served with clotted cream, butter, and jam. This sounds like a lot of food but as I said they are danity bites. It is served with tea of choice. I like Earl Grey or Scottish Blend. This is my carb overload for the month and when I started the research study I told the dietician I would follow everything else to a T but I would not give up having tea with my friends once a month and she said it was fine.

Maggie, the only thing my friend uses on her glass top stove is a Mr. Clean magic eraser and it is always spotless. It's from 1995 so pretty old, too.

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Wednesday

It is a cloudy day with sprinkles here and there with high humidity settings. UGH I don’t like the humidity. The buffalo were grazing in the new grass and the babies were frolicking about being frisky. They have once again put Ferdinand the big bull in his own pen to keep him away from the male calf for he might harm him. It is a dominance thing with them.

I am putting back what I can in the kitchen that was rearranged to lay the bit of flooring we did so the new stove could sit on it. We have the rest of the flooring ordered and it will be here next week and we can finish up the kitchen area. The oven is a bit larger than the last one so it made the bottom drawer for storing my pot lids shallower. I have to find new homes for some of the other items I had stored in that old oven’s drawer. Ah but this new stove is so beautiful in its blackness. Next month I will be ordering the new counter top Combo Steam & Convection Oven by Cuisinart which cooks food up to 40% faster. That new steam feature intrigues me for my bread baking. It can also steam veggies and other foods. There are 9 baking settings and combinations including broiling.

DONNA FAYE I am so happy for you for finding a place to buy your yarn to finish up your project. That must have certainly put a nice smile on your face. Please be sure a and post a picture when you get if finished. You can please keep your cicadas there. All we are having trouble with right at the present are flies. We put up stips and they don't go near them so we went and bought enough swatters for each room.

SUSAN What a wonderful thing to do to help school kids out. We had a box at church for "back packs for kids" and got a good response. Will turned them in today to the center that was collecting them and will do the delivering. You could always get one of those collapsible step stools and tie a leash on it and use it to step up into a truck and pull the stool in after you. I have seen gals do that a lot.

JEAN Sounds like that dinner wasn't very kid friendly without the crunchey things. Maybe it is what is making your computer slow being so far away from the source. Sorry but you can't have any of our rain because we need it so badly. We need every drop that we can get. The grass that turned brown by this time last year is still screaming green though so maybe we can spare you some rain. We should share shouldn't we.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #7  

Talking

It's sprinkling tonight! There is a 90% chance for rain tonight so we are hoping for more than a sprinkle. My lab work numbers were good so I don't have to do anything different for another 6 months. This time I got a copy of the itemized lab tests and how much they would cost if Medicare and my BCBS doesn't cover all of it. I had to sign it saying I would pay the difference. This is the first time I've seen this one and asked the lab tech about it. She just rolled her eyes and said, "thank Obama and get ready for 2014!"

Susan -- Our church does school bags and supplies as a mission project. That is always a good cause. I was in Walgreens and looking for tape in the school aisle. A gentleman came up and stood pretty close saying everything was cheaper at the Dollar Store. We checked out about the same time and he had a cart full of groceries so am assuming he had to walk to wherever he lived. It was nice of you to buy lemonade from the kids. I only saw one stand this summer and they were on the main street going into town; there is no parking on either side of the street so have a feeling they might not have had much business. I was surprised you are interested in a truck. Bob has a big 150 and I feel like I fall in and fall out of it even with the running board and using the inside handle. Thanks for the tea explanation. We had dinner with a couple who are big tea drinkers. The server brought out a box and it had a variety of tea flavors to choose from. I was surprised as I had never seen that before; usually they just bring one tea bag and a small pot of hot water.

Maggie -- Will your new oven use water/steam to clean itself? I haven't tried mine yet as I just wipe any spills asap. Our yards are pretty sad looking. People on the lake side water from the lake so their yards are pretty green. We could really use a couple days of just gentle showers. Enjoy your new floor!

I'm going to read and see if I can get this book finished before Friday. Have a terrific Thursday tomorrow.

Last edited by Jean; 08-14-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #8  

Good morning to you gals. I hope your day is starting out right. It is beautiful here so lovely and cool that I turned the ac off yesterday and haven't had it on since. It was 62 at 4 AM this morning.

My yarn should be here on Monday, which is great. I just hope the dye lots are close so the sweater doesn't look weird up around the front shoulders, "'cause I ain't a takin' it back out again to mix the two color differences." I only have the neckline decreases and the shoulder pieces to finish then I can block it and sew it up and do the neckline and armholes and it will be done.

Man, I had a mosquito get me in about 6 places and it has been driving me nuts. I put aloe vera on the spots several times and that helped, but I have a spot on the back of my leg that it is itching like crazy this morning.

Busy day tomorrow as I have to go to the vets and pay the bill and give them his left over dog meds to give to someone else, then I have an eye dr appt, then to the library to renew my card, then onto peddlers bike shop to get my sil a gift certificate for his birthday, which is tomorrow. We are getting together on the 31st so I will just hold onto it until then and Kelly said she has her dad's father's day present to take on the cruise. I am hoping she bought him the cufflinks he wanted. I bought him USS Kennedy ones, but he wanted a pair of his squadron or USS Ranger which was the other ship he served on. I sent her the suggestion so I think maybe that is what she got him. He will be thrilled.

I think I have decided to go back to straight single vision contacts. I have to use reading glasses even with the bifocal contacts so why pay the extra money for them if they aren't working? They are twice the price as single vision and I am at the top level of bifocal power they offer so she can't give me any more power. I have single vision glasses and put a pair of my readers over the top to see if I could see with my current reading glasses power and they were great so I don't need to go up on power. One of the things is I have terrible astigmatism in my left eye so I don't get great vision out of that eye with these contacts. I can only correct it with toric lenses and they are not only really expensive, from what I have read and talking to the dr they have to sit perfectly on the eye and not move for them to work. Why pay $50 a box and have to be messing with them all the time to keep them on the eye perfectly? We have vision insurance so I pay a $25 copay then have $150 to use for contacts, but they now take the $35 fitting fee out of that so I have the remainder, which gets me about 3-4 boxes. Walmart uses 1-800-contacts which is much more expensive so I just get as many boxes as my allowance then I go and buy the rest online at vision direct. I have the same vision in both eyes so I usually buy an extra couple of boxes for tearing or whatever and can always get more as long as it hasn't been a year since I bought them.

Susan: What a nice thing to do. Hope you get a child that isn't a pain to deal with. Boy, you aren't going to get a lot of clothing for that amount at Kohl's. They should have used Walmart, but maybe Kohl's gave them a deal or something. Thomas is doing a couple lemonade stands this fall to earn more money for St Jude's. He has made his $1000 donation cap from sponsors for his half marathon, but he wanted to do the lemonade and cookie stand. He is doing one on college opening day at U of Memphis and one of Kelly's friends who lives by the university offered their yard to use.

Jean: I am nervous about Jack starting medicare I think it is next year. We will be ok as long as he is working, but when he retires our income reduces drastically of course so don't know. I know Gloria told me way back not to worry as what medicare doesn't pick up, Tricare for Life will, but congress and the president have messed it up so much who knows now. I know one of the reasons my sister got in the predicament she got in was he gave her a prescription for antibiotics and when she went to pick it up it was $300!!! She couldn't afford that as her insurance refused to pay for it. So all she got were breathing treatments which didn't do anything about the infection. I don't have labs and such until spring of next year, though my mammogram is due in November.

Maggie: We are doing ok on rain this year. I noticed the crops looked good when we drive out to the commissary, which is all rural. I did get some gorgeous Ripley tomatoes and ate every one since Jack doesn't like tomatoes. Have fun with your oven when you get it. Maybe when we get the kitchen done I can get one.

Well girls, I need to go. I have bathrooms upstairs to clean and should get to them right away before it warms up too much. Have a great day today. Faye

Maggie:
Old 08-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #9  

Good afternoon, ladies! 73 degrees right now. It was in the low 60s overnight. AC has been off for 2 days so I'm happy Dominion Power won't get as much from me.

Faye, I pay my medicare premium and have Human Advantage PPO. Medicare sends part of my premium to them and all my bills go directly to Humana, Medicare is not involved. Human gives me better coverage than Medicare, covers my prescription, gives me extras Medicare doesn't like basic dental, vision, hearing aid, and my membership to the Y. I pay $31 a month for all that. I know plans vary by region but I'm very happy with it. I just hope Obama care doesn't screw it up. When I had an Anthem Blue Cross supplement I was paying $135 a month plus another $47 for prescription drug. I just can't go back to having to pay for that. Didn't your sister tell the doctor she couldn't afford the prescription so he could give her something else?

Maggie, we're 11 inches of rain ahead of normal. It rains every day for weeks now. Everything is lush and green. Usually by now grass is brown and things are dying. The foliage in the wetlands has grown so high I can't see the water unless I go upstairs to look out. If the hurricanes stay away, I'll be one happy woman.

Jean, Kohl's is giving a large discount. These are poor kids so I doubt they'll be very picky.

Have a wonderful day!
Old 08-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Thursday

It is a beautiful day in the 70°s here in the ♥-Land and all is well. Will is at the museum and the dogs are outside enjoying a romp in the grass and the cat is ~ who knows where. He goes where he wants ~ in the yard, of course. Wouldn’t you just know it ~ yesterday we bought a bunch of fly swatters and after we got them home we have not seen one fly. But we have swatters in every room now. Those sticky strips didn’t work for the flies didn’t get close to the ceiling they hovered down close to us.

We went out to look at push mowers since the one here will cost to much to fix it than it is worth. We found them in a wide difference in price but at the farm store they have the best one for the least money (even lower then Wal*Mart’s price). So that is where we will pick one up later this day when Will gets home. We have a nice riding mower but needed a push type to do some of the edges that the rider misses.

I have some pork chops out to thaw which will be put on the Barbie this evening. I lavish them with lemon pepper and they turn out so succulent. I’ll serve some rice, green beans and a tossed salad with them with fruit for dessert.

The last few days I have had the blahs but I blame the humidity for that. This is the first day in several that I woke up feeling great. I haven’t felt real bad but just not my usual self.

I found a couple nice racks behind a little cupboard that stands free in the kitchen and for the life of me I at first couldn’t figure out what they went to but then a light bulb hovered above my head and I remembered that they go to the smoker that is in the patio. We had brought them in last time we smoked some meat to put them in the dish washer and they got stored behind that cupboard. Mystery solved. I have had to find new homes for some of the items that I used to keep in the stove drawer. This new stove’s drawer is not as deep so the only thing stored in it are the pot and pan lids. The oven is bigger so the drawer had to be made smaller. Oh there is a fly buzzing around here but won’t land anywhere so I can swat it. Little pest dive bombs me. I picked up a swatter and he disappeared.

DONNA FAYE Sounds like you have your eye glasses all figured out quite nicely. We don't have lots of counter space in the kitchen either so I have a bakers rack right around the corner in the dining room which houses my smoker and rotisserie and some other items that are not used on a regular basis. We just try to make do with the space we have and get what we want for we both feel a convection toaster oven is a "necessity."

JEAN I e-mailed you the site where the information is on that combo "steam and convection toaster oven" is located. It will explain what the steam is for. The new flooring is the cats meow. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. So easy to keep clean and practically indestructible. The dogs are so funny on it for they run and then can't come to an abrupt stop like they could on the carpet. My kitchen is half way done for we used what we had left from doing the front room so we could at least get some under where the stove would set. The order for the rest of the flooring to finish the room will be here next week. I don't know why we didn't do this years ago. This house was built when wall to wall carpeting was so popular. I don't sneeze as much as I used to with all that carpeting in this house. Things lurk in carpets that aren't healthy. In that last motor home we had we yanked up the carpeting and put this type of flooring in it.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a cool 63 degrees, with a breeze, and clouds today. The street was wet when I got up but the rain gauge said only .01. I made a grocery run; yesterday was $.40 off a gallon of gas, for a $40 order but I didn't feel like going and didn't need to buy stuff I didn't need right now.

"Gma" -- I wear my bifocal glasses with my contacts. I could still pass the drivers eye test without the glasses but I usually wear them so I can "read" the small print on the radio or dash. I really think Congressmen should be under the same healthcare program that everyone else is. They get way too many perks imo. I would think there would have been somewhere your sister could have gotten help with the expensive prescription, or the doctor could have tried something else first. I know sometimes insurance will pay for something if other things are tried first and don't work.

Susan -- It sounds like you have a good insurance plan. I, too, hope Obama doesn't screw it up for you. I just don't see how people who can't afford insurance will be able to pay the so called fines for not having any. I wasn't the one who mentioned shopping at WM with the child. Years ago I took a little boy to buy a hat, mittens, and snowpants. At the time we had a Penneys store, but across the street was a children's clothing store which was more expensive. Guess which one he wanted to go to.

Maggie -- I will have to take a look at the toaster oven. I'm just not sure I want to give up counter space for something I have no experience with. Sonny goes slip-sliding on my floor. He likes to chase the little plastic balls around and sometimes over/under plans how far he goes. They really fly on the bare floor.

I need to head to the library and return my books. Hope you all enjoy the rest of the day and evening!

Last edited by Jean; 08-15-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #12  

Good morning ladies. Another beautiful cool morning so I hope it stays that way and doesn't get too hot today. Lots of running around today and seems my list just gets longer and longer. Part of the problem is a couple places don't open until 10 AM, my eye dr appt is 10:30 and don't know how much back up there will be. I want to get all this stuff done so I don't have to keep the car next week. Jack laughingly told me to be sure and put "pick up Jack at 2 PM" on my list!

I just got a fabulous deal on another pandora style bracelet. I got an email they were having a sale with their beads and spacers being $1.29 each and I found a buy 2 get 1 free coupon online for this website. I thought maybe they would be picked over as I wanted to make myself a red bracelet for the cruise, but they had tons of stuff. Wow did I do well. I got 19 beads and spacers combo and a bracelet to put them on all for less than $20. Regular retail this would have cost me over $100. I should get it by next weekend sometime. I also called California about my clothing order and she said it will ship out next week. I don't know when I will get the slacks from JMS though. My yarn should be here on Monday, which is great too. So I guess we will unlock the gate everyday.

Jean: Do you have single vision contacts or bifocal contacts? I can't see paying nearly $50 a box when I still have to wear reading glasses now. If I buy single vision, they are $28 a box, but $20 a box at the online place I go. Our gas at the Walmart Neighborhood Market just down the street is $3.27, but most places it is closer to $3.50. Wonder what it will be like to drive to Florida? My sister is a pretty impatient person so I doubt she even ask them if there was a way around it. She just plain lets her health go to pot then ends up in the hospital and complains about it.

Susan: The doctor gave her a prescription for some type of breathing treatments instead. I don't know what supplement she carries for prescription, but obviously it stinks. I also don't know if that could have been brand name instead of generic. Like I said to Jean, she doesn't take care of herself properly. Oh I am so glad and hope the kids can get a lot of clothing for their money. I really like Kohl's stuff.

Maggie: Isn't it awful that you have to just rebuy something instead of having it fixed because fixing it is equal too or more expensive than buying something new? They wanted about $50 less than it would have cost to replace our dryer awhile back so we said forget it. Unfortunately, they charge you an arm and a leg for a service call just so you can say forget it and go out and buy another one new.

I see it is 7 so I better get bouncing. I have lots and lots to do today. Have a great weekend. Faye
Old 08-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #13  

Good morning, ladies! 72 degrees and sunshine. I'm so enjoying this cooler weather.

Tonight is dinner at VA BBQ with my friends and then lock-in at Bella. I'll be having my usual pork bbq (no bun), cole slaw and collard greens.

Faye, I hope you get all your glasses/contacts straightened out. I use readers for reading in bed. My eye doctor told me not to spend for an optician to make them but to get them at some cheap place so I get them at the $ store. It sounds like your sister's prescription was for a drug not covered under her formulary. I don't even try to get things fix anymore. I just get new one. July 1 VA gas tax was repealed - it was 17.5 centers per gallon but gas sure has come down. I paid $3.13 this morning.

Jean, its easy to use a toaster oven. It not only doesn't heat the kitchen, but you save electric over heating up a big oven.

Maggie, I'm not supposed to have carpet or drapes in my house because of my allergies and breathing problems. They do harbor dust mites and other allergens. I have to wash all my bedding every week, too. I really need to get rid of the carpet.

Have a wonderful day!
Old 08-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friday

Ignore negativity & live above the fray & your day will be a lot better. Determine to put a smile on your face when you wake up to meet a new day.

This day is in the low 80°s and we are fixin’ to get a thunderstorm. Will is out mowing which will certainly encourage the grass to grow but look good with a new hair cut. Cecil just came into the house meowing all the way down the hallway announcing his arrival into my office to get some petting. I scratched his ears and petted his head down his back and that was plenty for him for he is now on his stand eating. I don’t think he likes it when Will cuts the tall grass near the fence that he likes to hide in.

Don’t you just hate it when your boiled eggs don’t peal right and chunks of the whites come off with the shell? Here is a good way to make them come out perfect every time. Poke the large end of each egg with a pin and place them in a single layer in cold water to cover 1 inch. Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove the pot from heat and cover. Let the eggs stand for 15 minutes then drain (for extra large eggs ~ let stand 18 minutes.) Run cold water over eggs then place the eggs in ice water. Peel off egg shell starting at the big end.

Not much out of the ordinary happening around here this day. All is well.

SUSAN Cooler weather is great isn't it. As long as the humidity stays down. They make some great looking window coverings now days. We have some dark color bamboo like ones in our bedroom that have a lining which cuts out the light and you can raise just the lining and leave the curtain down if you want the light to come in during the day. We like them much better than traditional drapes in there. The only room in the house now is the front room with drapes that we plan on changing to something of the non fabric type. I quit sneezing so much now that the front room doesn't have that carpet in it anymore.

DONNA FAYE What a great deal you got on your beads since you like that sort of thing so much. That is a sad thing to have to shell out money to a repair man just to have him tell you it isn't worth fixing. I guess that when something now days takes a dump it is time to replace it anyway. I certainly got my moneys worth out of that convection toaster oven that no longer has the convection fan working. I like the fact that it decided to take a dump just when the brand new much improved model has come to the market. If it had taken a dump last month I would have purchased a lesser model that doesn't have that misting feature in it.

JEAN 40 cents off a gallon of gas is a nice savings for sure! A toaster oven ~ I can't remember when the time was when I didn't own one and each replacement has been a new and improved model. It is a great appliance for cooking for one or two people. Sure saves us on the electric bill. I cringe when I turn on the stoves oven thinking of how much electricity it is sucking to keep it at the correct temperature. No matter what amount of counter space I have had in kitchens, including in a motor home, my favorite appliance was a toaster oven.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #15  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another cool cloudy day in my corner of the world. I spent the morning getting a perm. While I was gone Bob exchanged our DVR box and remote; we've had issues with it for a couple of weeks. The tech has rebooted it a couple of times and it will work for a day or two, then either no sound or the audio doesn't match the video. I had to run a couple errands this afternoon and have been lazy ever since. When I'm gone in the morning it's hard to get going on a project in the afternoon.

"Gma" -- I hope you were able to get all of your errand running done and didn't forget Jack! Be sure and share a picture of your new bracelet when you get it finished. My contacts are single vision. My correction is very strong and I have one eye weaker than the other so couldn't do the split vision. I wear the gas permable lenses and have had the same ones for several years since my prescription hasn't changed for distance. I hope your yarn and clothes arrive asap.

Susan -- Our gas is $3.29 and has held steady for a week or so. With our grocery savings Bob has reaped the benefits because he can put 20 gallons in his truck. Have fun at the BBQ and lock-in tonight!

Maggie -- I remember reading about how boiled eggs shells come off -- something to do with really fresh eggs or older eggs. I usually just muddle through whichever happens. We had deviled eggs at the picnic the other night and Bob asked why I never make them. I like them too, so really have no excuse except I never think about it. Maybe I will surprise him this weekend, and make some.

I do need to wash towels so guess I will go do that. Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day and evening.