Weight Loss Support - I Mess Everything Up At Night

View Full Version : I Mess Everything Up At Night

wordsthatrhyme
08-12-2013, 08:27 PM
I usually do fine with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I eat healthy foods and stay within all of my ranges, but then I find myself wanting something else.

I just had what is probably three servings of chocolate cake (my birthday was three days ago and it was purchased without my opinion, but I can't stop eating it anyway. Chocolate cake isn't even my favorite cake flavor), and I ate probably seven or eight peanut butter cookies that I made a couple of days ago because I felt like if I didn't eat them all now, I'd binge on them tomorrow.

I feel mentally sick, like if I thought about it too much I could feel nauseous enough to throw up.

I really want to throw away the cake because I think I'm going to end up eating the rest of it within the next two days, and I'd rather get rid of the temptation altogether, but my family doesn't like wasting food, and my mother and sister would probably like to eat some (they don't eat healthy).

Ugh. A year ago, I didn't have this problem. Now, I feel like I can't go a day straight eating healthy.

MauiKai
08-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Throw it out! Who cares about wasting food! Do you think your family wants to stand next to your hospital bed when you're sick from a weight related illness and say "Well, at least we never wasted cake!" NO, your health is #1, and that cake/cookies has got to go. Do it and dump vinegar over it in the trash.

Munchy
08-12-2013, 08:54 PM
You can try counting starting at night so if you go overboard, you can compensate by the following breakfast and lunch. For example your day count starts at 6pm and goes until 6pm the next day. It's a mindtrick but it could help.

anm17
08-12-2013, 09:35 PM
I have some of the same issues. Thanks for the laugh MauiKai (even thought it is 100% true >.<) I hate wasting food, but am finally getting a little better about it.

time2lose
08-12-2013, 09:41 PM
Remind yourself that you are not a human garbage disposal and put that cake down the real garbage disposal!

I also have trouble wanting to eat at night. Try asking your family to put the snack food up out of your sight. That helped me. They did not have to do without but they put the junk where I did not have to look at it.

GlamourGirl827
08-12-2013, 10:03 PM
I have always ad the exact same problem. I do fine during the day. I enjoy healthy meals during the day and have no urge to over eat. Then night time comes, right after I put my older kids to bed, and I cannot seem to relax without a snack. It doesn't help that with a newborn I spend the time now sitting on the couch breastfeeding him then holding him while he sleeps. So I basically watch tv and snack, but this has been a problem of mine long before kids so I can't blame the situation.

I really like munchy's idea. I've never thought tp do that.

I've tried to do some real exploring into this pattern, and for me I think the issue boils down to I see eating as a friend or something exciting to do. I've noticed my night time eating is worse after a less eventful day and if I'm alone at night because DH is working. Once or twice we've had family from out of town stay with us and eating doesnt even enter my mind ay night because I'm enjoying having company spending the night.

Not snacking at night means dealing with boredom and loneliness for me.

Does it have a deeper meaning for you? I know for many years I just thought I liked to snack at night. It took awhile to realize the issues behind it. I'm noy saying you definitely have other reasons for evening snacking, but if you do. knowing them wil hrlp you figure out how to beat it.

scood
08-12-2013, 10:28 PM
:rollpin::mad::?::mad:I just did the same, ate really well all day, feeling great. About 10.00pm the lollies were calling me. First of all I was fighting it then in the end ate 2 cups full of lollies, then I was annoyed at myself because when I weighed myself of course I weighed more.

Scood

wordsthatrhyme
08-12-2013, 10:34 PM
You're all amazing. Thank you so much for your support.
I've literally had a huge a** piece of this cake every night for the past three nights.

I decided that when Mom gets home, I'm going to ask her if she wants some cake. If she says yes, I'm laying the whole remaining half of a cake in front of her, and if she says no, I'm just tossing the whole thing.

I can't ask my family to hide their snacks and treats because we all share fridge, counter, and cabinet space.

Munchy, that sounds like a cool idea; I'll see if I can try it.

Chronostasis
08-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Like others have said, don't be afraid to throw things out! And the suggestion to start counting your daily calories at dinner is a good one.

All I'd add is that if you can't throw it out, try to keep it well out of sight if that will help you. I know that would never have worked for me a year ago, but going wheat-free/gluten-free (due to an allergy/sensitivity I have likely had for years but just now recognized) has given me newfound powers to eat only one serving of desserts and forget about tempting foods that are left in the freezer or on pantry shelves. Before that I was definitely the person who munched on ten cookies in half and hour and kept going back to the leftover cake for just one more little slice.

wordsthatrhyme
08-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Does it have a deeper meaning for you? I know for many years I just thought I liked to snack at night. It took awhile to realize the issues behind it. I'm not saying you definitely have other reasons for evening snacking, but if you do. knowing them will help you figure out how to beat it.

Aww. I'm sorry that you feel lonely at night. :(

I'm not really sure if there's a meaning for my late-night bad eating apart from maybe a food addiction? I'll see something and feel like I need to have it. But I'm not sure it's strong enough to call it an addiction. I don't want to mis-label it and end up offending someone.

Maybe the issues won't reveal themselves until later for me as well.

wordsthatrhyme
08-12-2013, 10:46 PM
:rollpin::mad::?::mad:I just did the same, ate really well all day, feeling great. About 10.00pm the lollies were calling me. First of all I was fighting it then in the end ate 2 cups full of lollies, then I was annoyed at myself because when I weighed myself of course I weighed more.

Scood
*hugs*
It's really hard. My mind yells at me to not eat the bad things. And yells. When I give in, it yells at me to stop eating it. To throw it in the trash. "You know you shouldn't be doing this!"

But I push it to the back of my mind and ignore it.

I've been telling myself not to weigh in until September 1st. I don't want to see a higher number on the scale than my last weigh in. I keep trying to lose, but the late-night eating thing probably isn't helping.

I went so far as to move the scale so that it takes a little effort to put it in a position for me to weigh myself. I'm trying to resist the urge to jump on it.

wordsthatrhyme
08-12-2013, 10:48 PM
Before that I was definitely the person who munched on ten cookies in half and hour and kept going back to the leftover cake for just one more little slice.

Oh, I definitely know how this feels right now.

EatMoreCelery
08-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Perhaps enlist your family's help in keeping junk food out of your sight? My husband has a bit of a sweet tooth and I had to ask him to keep his cookies in his truck. Seriously! :dizzy: :D

Like you, I also tend to want to snack at night but I've found a few things that deter me from doing so. After dinner I clean up the kitchen and close it down for the day (turning out the lights and all). Also, I brush and floss my teeth just after dinner to keep me from nibbling between dinner and bedtime. :p

scood
08-12-2013, 11:18 PM
:nono:My husband has lollies, drumsticks, big bags of chocolate, you name it he says they are for the grandchildren. Which live a long way away.

I've asked him not to bring them into the house, but he does and he eats them everyday. He isn't worried about health, and will offer me a drumstick when he knows I'm really trying. So I really have to not think about them

I don't understand why I would do this, Im happy have a good life so it's not emotional eating.

Scood

leecpieces91
08-13-2013, 12:07 AM
I understand where you are coming from. Is this an ongoing thing? How many times a week would you say this happens? And what was so different a year ago? But lets be REALISTIC, you're human so you're gonna make mistakes, you know. I usually crave sweets so Ill chew gum and brushing and flossing help with the cravings... Or truvia sweetened strawberries are good too lol. But tonight I just did the same thing.... I overate a bunch of junk! I am gonna go workout though... wont compensate for what I ate but it will help lol. Don't beat yourself up and get back on the track :hug:

Mori M
08-13-2013, 12:13 AM
i do a lot of night eating too. The reverse calorie counting seems like a good idea.

CanadianMomma
08-13-2013, 12:17 AM
I have the same problem, and like GlamourGirl I sat down and really thought about it and realized I used it as way to unwind/reward myself at the end of the day. So I try and use alternatives instead, like a nice bath, doing my nails, or reading a good book. Maybe when you feel the urge to snack do something else for yourself instead?

wordsthatrhyme
08-13-2013, 12:57 AM
I think maybe it's been happening at least once a week for the past month and a half. This week it's been three days in a row.

I think my willpower was stronger last year. It was a lot easier to say no when I was offered food - and actually mean it.

I mean, last year I actually brought my own healthy, homemade dinner in containers to pizza parties and get-togethers to prepare for a wedding that I was a bridesmaid in. I brought my own food or bought it when I stayed over at friends' houses.

This year, I'm not as strong. I start the day saying that I'll eat healthy even if I'm hanging out with friends. Then, I just throw that all out the window. And once I mess up - even a little - my mind starts to think that since I did that, I might as well have some of everything else.

Days like this make me wish I lived on my own because none of this stuff would even be in my own place. But if I moved out, Dad (who is also trying to lose weight *by having me do all the hard work, lol*) would have no one to make him healthy meals or go to the gym with.

Thank you so much for replying. I'll try to get back on track as soon as I can. Staying on track is the problem. ;P

leecpieces91
08-13-2013, 01:23 AM
I think maybe it's been happening at least once a week for the past month and a half. This week it's been three days in a row.

I think my willpower was stronger last year. It was a lot easier to say no when I was offered food - and actually mean it.

I mean, last year I actually brought my own healthy, homemade dinner in containers to pizza parties and get-togethers to prepare for a wedding that I was a bridesmaid in. I brought my own food or bought it when I stayed over at friends' houses.

This year, I'm not as strong. I start the day saying that I'll eat healthy even if I'm hanging out with friends. Then, I just throw that all out the window. And once I mess up - even a little - my mind starts to think that since I did that, I might as well have some of everything else.

Days like this make me wish I lived on my own because none of this stuff would even be in my own place. But if I moved out, Dad (who is also trying to lose weight *by having me do all the hard work, lol*) would have no one to make him healthy meals or go to the gym with.

Thank you so much for replying. I'll try to get back on track as soon as I can. Staying on track is the problem. ;P

OMG yes, I understand! As soon as I slip up a little, I completely let myself fall and break... I eat everything in sight! Haha. Like a damn Godzilla here. I have been binge eating once a week too for the past two months maybe? Ive also been doing some cardio/strength training. While I haven't lost any weight, Ive dropped down two jean sizes :carrot: Last year it was easier for me because I was in a relationship though so that gave me motivation.... sadly.

I wish I lived on my own too cause of the exact same reason! That and when I go run, everyone freaks out saying how ill get abducted *rolls eyes*

Like I said, I understand EXACTLY where youre coming from. But you've come along way too though, so don't underestimate yourself

We didn't put on this weight overnight and we're not gonna take it off in a day either. Together we will get there though! :D

wordsthatrhyme
08-13-2013, 01:47 AM
OMG yes, I understand! As soon as I slip up a little, I completely let myself fall and break... I eat everything in sight! Haha. Like a damn Godzilla here. I have been binge eating once a week too for the past two months maybe? Ive also been doing some cardio/strength training. While I haven't lost any weight, Ive dropped down two jean sizes :carrot: Last year it was easier for me because I was in a relationship though so that gave me motivation.... sadly.

I wish I lived on my own too cause of the exact same reason! That and when I go run, everyone freaks out saying how ill get abducted *rolls eyes*

Like I said, I understand EXACTLY where youre coming from. But you've come along way too though, so don't underestimate yourself

We didn't put on this weight overnight and we're not gonna take it off in a day either. Together we will get there though! :D

I have been exercising more now than I did last year, too. *twinsies, lol*
I do about half an hour walking on the treadmill (trying to convince myself to start C25K), and I play around on some of the machines at the gym - I guess that's strength training?

Well, the obvious solution to both of our problems is for us to just move in together. Lol. (I'm joking; don't freak out. :D)

I know it took me 20-ish years to put this weight on, but I'd rather it take me a lot less than that to get the weight off. :)

leecpieces91
08-13-2013, 02:18 AM
I have been exercising more now than I did last year, too. *twinsies, lol*
I do about half an hour walking on the treadmill (trying to convince myself to start C25K), and I play around on some of the machines at the gym - I guess that's strength training?

Well, the obvious solution to both of our problems is for us to just move in together. Lol. (I'm joking; don't freak out. :D)

I know it took me 20-ish years to put this weight on, but I'd rather it take me a lot less than that to get the weight off. :)

We are just alike! Hmmmm, favorite color on three. 1,2,3 GREEN! Jah, Jah, is yours green too? *wiggles eyebrows* lol.

Hey, im down for that solution! We both have the same goal, we're both awesome, and we both get along great.... Too bad we're THOUSDANDS OF MILES apart though, aghhhhh >_< lol If I knew how to work this site, I would add you as a buddy! Lol.

Gah, I need to join a gym. I just hate going by myself. Im definitely the person who needs the extra support and motivation.

It sounds like youre doing good though ^_^

FatSass
08-13-2013, 03:36 AM
Same here. My biggest dieting success (around 2008 to 2009) happened when I forced myself to go to bed by 9:30pm, because it eliminated all my late-night binges. I actually have to force myself to eat in the mornings and afternoons, because I have zero appetite before 3pm or so.

I'm slowly trying to push my bedtime forward, which is hard because I've been going to bed around 2:30am for going on 3 years now. And, of course, lack of sleep just makes you hungrier.

wordsthatrhyme
08-13-2013, 07:57 AM
We are just alike! Hmmmm, favorite color on three. 1,2,3 GREEN! Jah, Jah, is yours green too? *wiggles eyebrows* lol.

Hey, im down for that solution! We both have the same goal, we're both awesome, and we both get along great.... Too bad we're THOUSDANDS OF MILES apart though, aghhhhh >_< lol If I knew how to work this site, I would add you as a buddy! Lol.

Gah, I need to join a gym. I just hate going by myself. Im definitely the person who needs the extra support and motivation.

It sounds like youre doing good though ^_^

Purple--Oh, um, I mean green?

Let's meet in the middle of thousands of miles! :)

It's really hard having motivation to go by yourself. I tried while Dad was vacationing, and only managed to go once without him. It was a good experience, though. I just didn't want to leave the house the other days.

P.S. I just added you as a buddy.

Suzanne 3FC
08-13-2013, 09:57 AM
Night time snacking used to be a huge problem for me, so I understand how you feel :hug: You received a lot of great advice in this thread, I hope it helps! For me, I just had to quit bringing in in the house. If it was here then I would eat it. Period. I'm lucky that I live alone, and I don't have to face temptation. Hopefully your family members will understand if you ask them to help reduce your temptation. Maybe they can keep snacks in their bedrooms where you won't have to see them.

Have you had a family meeting to discuss this? Maybe they will go one step further than hiding their snacks and decide to join you!

I like to drink hot tea at night, and that helps me if I do feel the need to put something with flavor in my mouth. An orange is also a nice snack and it's refreshing. I mainly just stay busy so that I don't think about food. Maybe changing the types of snacks in the house will help you.

Munchy
08-13-2013, 10:22 AM
Sometimes if there is something particularly appetizing that I really want to avoid, I chew gum if I have to be in the kitchen. That way, I can't just grab a bite as I walk through.

LebenAlles
08-13-2013, 12:02 PM
I'm the same way. What I've decided to try out (starting today) is the 'habit replacement' idea. The theory is that you cant just stop a bad habit...you have to replace it with a good one. So tonight, if I feel like noshing, I'm going to work on the novel I'm writing instead. Which will kill two birds with one stone...taking the emphasis off of food, and putting it on something I wanted to devote more time to anyways. I'll let you know how it goes!

TripSwitch
08-14-2013, 12:57 PM
I solved my "messing up at night" thing by including Intermittent Fasting (IF) into my plan..... I eat between 12pm and 8pm.... And after that I just tell myself "THE KITCHEN IS CLOSED!!!" and yes I do get some hunger pangs... But they usually pass in 15 to 20 minutes or so, and I just deal with it.... Sometimes I have a cup of tea.... And yes I still have "treats" I just include them in my plan and fit them into my eating "window".... Might seem a bit "ridgid".... But so far these "rules" seem to be working for me.... And of course nothing is written in stone, so I can be flexible if I need to.... But I find if I really stick to it.... I maintain with a lot less effort.... And that really makes it worth it it the end...

wordsthatrhyme
08-14-2013, 03:53 PM
Thank you all so much for replying.

After asking my mom to finish the cake for the past couple of days, I talked her into letting me at least stick it in the deep freezer on the other side of our house. That way it's harder for me to get to and too much hassle to even open the container and cut a slice.

Hopefully I don't start eating other bad things to replace it.

I just bought some green tea bags, so I'll try to go straight to a mug of tea before I look for food.

Habit-replacing sounds like a good idea; I'll have to think of something to do.

I'm not sure I could handle IF. I'm glad it works for you, though.

PreciousMissy
08-14-2013, 06:27 PM
It looks like you've gotten some great information! It also looks like you've done a great job over the last year...well done!

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it, it didn't see it, but I may have missed it, is it just sugar you're eating at night? Maybe you need to do a sugar detox.

I use to be a huge sugar "junkie" until I cut myself off completely and detoxed. The other night we bought some sugary chex mix. I ate two pieces and decided it wasn't good enough to eat anymore. My boyfriend keeps sugary food in the house and I don't really have an interest. Now, the salty snacks...I'm in trouble with those and just can't keep them in the house.

kelijpa
08-14-2013, 08:37 PM
So, one of the things I used to do was a craft of some kind, especially something that you don't want to get food on and something that keeps your hands busy. You can get little counted cross stitch kits at Walmart, make Xmas presents for people, or crochet or knitting, they have really cute kits for making scarves with textured or sparkly yarns.

Now the tablet with the touch screen kind of has the same effect, can't be getting peanut butter all over the screen...lol

I play mind games with myself all the time, tell myself you can have this tomorrow, or even just later works sometimes. Also,I give myself tasks to do before I get my reward, like maybe do some type of exercise or something else constructive before I have that treat.

Keep working on trying to better and you will!

:sunny:

wordsthatrhyme
08-14-2013, 09:54 PM
It looks like you've gotten some great information! It also looks like you've done a great job over the last year...well done!

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it, it didn't see it, but I may have missed it, is it just sugar you're eating at night? Maybe you need to do a sugar detox.

I use to be a huge sugar "junkie" until I cut myself off completely and detoxed. The other night we bought some sugary chex mix. I ate two pieces and decided it wasn't good enough to eat anymore. My boyfriend keeps sugary food in the house and I don't really have an interest. Now, the salty snacks...I'm in trouble with those and just can't keep them in the house.

Yes, a lot of the time it is sugar related. I don't have a sweet tooth; I have sweet teeth. :)

I try not to have too much sugar, but it's in almost everything. Hiding. Ugh.
All the grams probably add up. Then, adding in cake; it doesn't paint a pretty picture. I'll try harder not to add any extra sugar and try to find no sugar added products.

wordsthatrhyme
08-14-2013, 09:58 PM
So, one of the things I used to do was a craft of some kind, especially something that you don't want to get food on and something that keeps your hands busy. You can get little counted cross stitch kits at Walmart, make Xmas presents for people, or crochet or knitting, they have really cute kits for making scarves with textured or sparkly yarns.

Now the tablet with the touch screen kind of has the same effect, can't be getting peanut butter all over the screen...lol

I play mind games with myself all the time, tell myself you can have this tomorrow, or even just later works sometimes. Also,I give myself tasks to do before I get my reward, like maybe do some type of exercise or something else constructive before I have that treat.

Keep working on trying to better and you will!

:sunny:

I do those mind games when I'm exercising!
"Okay, you can stop in two minutes." "You made it two minutes, you can make it five more." "Okay, I know you said that you were only going to walk on the treadmill for X amount of minutes, but look how close you are to the next mile! Keep going!!"

wordsmatter
08-28-2013, 08:09 PM
sitting in my car reading all these post I am in a battle with myself I don't know what to do or maybe I do know what to do I just don't do it I just went to the barbecue place an eighth uncontrollably it seems like I have been out of control for 2 to 3 weeks now maybe even longer I got on the scale and i gained six point eight pounds why am I doing this I don't know Im truly scared I'm scared that I'm going to stay out of control I'm not happy when I'm out of control like this lonely I'm trying to occupy myselfI need something back please help me!

wordsthatrhyme
08-28-2013, 11:15 PM
*Hugs*

I'm still struggling, too. I do great until dinner/after dinner.

:(

A part of me just wants to stop trying altogether, but I really, really don't want to get all the way to my starting weight and more. I haven't been 225+ in over a year, and I really don't want to get there.

What's funny is that in 2012, I found eating healthy and drinking water a lot easier than making myself work out.

Now, I've been going to the gym to walk on the treadmill for half an hour and play around on the machines most days of the week, but I've been screwing up the diet part.

Trudiha
08-29-2013, 06:22 PM
If you do feel tht things are uncontrolable for you currently, maybe Overeaters Annonymous might be helpful, they have telephone and online meetings.

http://www.oa.org/