Weight Watchers - Weight loss and loose skin!

View Full Version : Weight loss and loose skin!

Krissypants29
08-11-2013, 02:19 AM
Has anyone lost their desired amount of weight and seen stretch marks and loose skin? I have lost 48 pounds- still need to lose more, and I am noticing this :( I plan to tone up later...but will that get rid of it?? Or does there have to be surgery involved or something?

Thanks guys

Buffinlovin
08-11-2013, 03:14 AM
I don't know if it really helps, or it's just my perception, but I use a firming lotion on my skin every day (I think it's Jergen's?) and it seems to help. skin takes a while to firm up, so you may not need surgery, but it may take several months for the loose skin to start tightening. The stretch marks minimize, but don't disappear :(

Krissypants29
08-11-2013, 06:21 AM
I don't know if it really helps, or it's just my perception, but I use a firming lotion on my skin every day (I think it's Jergen's?) and it seems to help. skin takes a while to firm up, so you may not need surgery, but it may take several months for the loose skin to start tightening. The stretch marks minimize, but don't disappear :(

Will exercise and toning help?

PUPMOM5
08-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Toning will help muscle definition, but it can't help loose skin. I found this thread very helpful: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/body-image-issues-after-weight-loss/277894-i-have-idea-involving-loose-skin-calling-maintainers.html

kidjng
08-11-2013, 11:16 AM
While I can't say for sure, I think that if you take a slow, gradual pace to weight loss (e.g. 1-3 lbs/week) you shouldn't have much loose skin. If you look through the pictures posted in the Goals folder you might see examples of people who have lost lots of weight but don't appear to have much loose skin. You might even ask questions of those users' journeys.

I think the most extreme examples of loose skin are when someone undergoes weight loss surgery and the smaller amount of flesh isn't given enough time to "settle."

In looking at your size and height you probably won't have much of a problem in this area. What you may be experiencing now may just be less flesh trying to settle itself onto your muscles and bones. This process could take several weeks to normalize. I didn't have too much weight to lose and I went through something similar.

QuilterInVA
08-11-2013, 11:44 AM
The time to tone up is while you are losing weight. If you don't you lose muscle along with fat and will be a thin person with too much BF. Loose skin and stretch marks are the price we have to pay for getting overweight. You can't undo all the damage but the stretch marks will fade and muscle can help with some loose skin. Dress to cover it is my solution.

lazylioness
08-11-2013, 12:35 PM
I have the exact same concerns. I have a lot of weight to lose, I have lost 50lbs so far but still have over 100+ to go. I notice that now that I have lost weight, everything seems less "firm" if that makes sense lol, especially in my upper arms. I also notice that I have more stretch marks than I previously thought!

I have read that if you do weight training while you are actively losing weight, do not loose weight too fast and stay hydrated and moisturized that the problem may be less extreme. I am hoping that this is the case for me, otherwise it is under the knife I go....Tummy tuck, boob job (that happens anyway), arms legs, neck the whole shebang. But if you are going the surgery route, I have also heard from surgeons that you need to be at goal for at least a year, because I guess your skin and body has to "normalize"? I dunno.

Good Luck you are doing great

Krissypants29
08-11-2013, 06:32 PM
While I can't say for sure, I think that if you take a slow, gradual pace to weight loss (e.g. 1-3 lbs/week) you shouldn't have much loose skin. If you look through the pictures posted in the Goals folder you might see examples of people who have lost lots of weight but don't appear to have much loose skin. You might even ask questions of those users' journeys.

I think the most extreme examples of loose skin are when someone undergoes weight loss surgery and the smaller amount of flesh isn't given enough time to "settle."

In looking at your size and height you probably won't have much of a problem in this area. What you may be experiencing now may just be less flesh trying to settle itself onto your muscles and bones. This process could take several weeks to normalize. I didn't have too much weight to lose and I went through something similar.

Thank you for your input :) I really hope you are right! And good luck too :)

Krissypants29
08-11-2013, 08:38 PM
I have the exact same concerns. I have a lot of weight to lose, I have lost 50lbs so far but still have over 100+ to go. I notice that now that I have lost weight, everything seems less "firm" if that makes sense lol, especially in my upper arms. I also notice that I have more stretch marks than I previously thought!

I have read that if you do weight training while you are actively losing weight, do not lose weight too fast and stay hydrated and moisturized that the problem may be less extreme. I am hoping that this is the case for me, otherwise it is under the knife I go....Tummy tuck, boob job (that happens anyway), arms legs, neck the whole shebang. But if you are going the surgery route, I have also heard from surgeons that you need to be at goal for at least a year, because I guess your skin and body has to "normalize"? I dunno.

Good Luck you are doing great

Thank you for your input :) I was planning on toning later, but I can see why its beneficial to do so now and during weight loss. I guess we will have to wait and see..Ive been losing without exercise *knock on wood* and once I plateau or close to goal I will start exercising just for the health benefit of it and toning also for the health benefit :)

IanG
08-11-2013, 08:49 PM
I'm in good shape 100lbs down.

I think it depends on your genes/skin (mine is pretty elastic), age (I'm 38), diet (I eat a ton of oily fish which is great for my skin) and exercise (I do masses but only really started 60lbs down with weights and later running).

If I had to put money on the most important factor, I would say age.

NYFLAgirl
08-12-2013, 08:48 PM
Just wanted to add that starting strength training now and not later will definitely help with firming up. I'm pretty far from my goal but I've been lifting weights for almost a year now and I love it-even more than cardio! Plus, I just feel stronger. Congrats on your weight loss!

Aclai4067
08-12-2013, 09:12 PM
This FAQ is very comprehensive http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/body-image-issues-after-weight-loss/36040-weight-loss-skin-faqs.html

Krissypants29
08-13-2013, 09:39 AM
Well thats ridiculous, I get the point to lose weight is to become healthy and all but whats the point when most ppl dont like their image still!! Sure I would chose to be healthier than to have tight skin, but there has to be some way.

I lost weight once when I was 19- the unhealthy way, but at that time I was 150 and only went down to 105. I never had saggy skin or bad stretch marks with that, but then again I was younger. I than gradually gained it back all the way up to 200 pounds- never thought I would weigh that much!

I am now 29 and my total weight loss when I am finished will be 85 pounds! Technically I am still young, but that is more weight that Ive ever lost in my time, not sure if that will make a difference.

I hope I get lucky...right now I lost 50 pounds and I dont see that much lose skin- only when I bend down, if you really pay attention you can see gravity take its toll. I will start to swim soon because I love swimming- even though I dont know how to professionally swim, dont think it makes a difference, I will still tone up a little

Thanks for all the input guys!

Dixiemom
08-13-2013, 09:50 PM
Swimming was great for my arms, really toned them while I lost my 40lbs.

Krissypants29
08-14-2013, 01:47 AM
This FAQ is very comprehensive http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/body-image-issues-after-weight-loss/36040-weight-loss-skin-faqs.html

Thanks I read all of this. Was helpful but discouraging at the same time :P

Lolo70
08-14-2013, 01:58 AM
I have been exercising now for almost two years and started real dieting 16 months ago. I am a slow looser and maybe that combined with mostly strength training helped, but I am not seeing that much loose skin and no stretch marks and I am going towards 49. I just have some flabby skin on my upper arms, which I hope will disappear along with the fat. I will have to see how that will look once the last 20-25 lbs are gone. In the end it may just be genetics, but I think it does not hurt to exercise. At least what is there looks better toned than not.

amandie
08-14-2013, 04:31 PM
It is what it is, Krissy. I have a little bit right now but I feel a lot more confident and sexier now than I did at 226. Don't let it get you down!

Aclai4067
08-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Thanks I read all of this. Was helpful but discouraging at the same time :P

I agree. Just keep in mind that you don't know what end of the spectrum you'll fall on, so there's no need worrying about it before it happens (IF it happens).

The idea of having a lot of loose skin after weight loss is definitely disheartening. I just want to feel like I look good naked once in my life! Maybe I will. I hope I will. Or maybe I'll have loose skin and have to dress to cover it. Or maybe I'll be able to afford to surgically remove it, but feel self-conscious about the scars. But when I really think about it, I'd rather have scars or loose skin than stay big. When I was younger, my vanity was my #1 weight loss motivator. Over the last 5 or so years, it's really started taking a physical toll on me (particularly my knees). My #1 reason now, is not feeling so old and out of shape. I'm 27. I want to FEEL 27... whether I look good naked or not.

sontaikle
08-14-2013, 09:29 PM
I'm someone who did everything that is always suggested. I drank lots of water, I lifted weights before, during, and after weight loss, lost at a healthy pace, in my early 20s...and I still have loose skin. And stretch marks. Lots of those.

It sucks, but I don't have all that much loose skin. It's tightened up in that it no longer hangs down off my abdomen unless I'm bending over, but I just think my skin is shredded from when I rapidly gained weight as a teenager. I can't really do much about it, but I think that lifting weights helped me avoid having more loose skin on my arms and legs at the very least.

I think it's partly genetics though. My teenage brother lost a lot of weight recently (I don't know how much, but he lost less than I did) and while he doesn't have stretch marks, he has loose skin on his stomach in the same way I do.

Honestly, just as most maintainers say, I would much rather be at this weight with loose skin than where I was before. It's a wonderful trade-off and while it means I can't have a career as a bikini model, it at least means I can feel wonderful in a fit body.

Krissypants29
08-15-2013, 04:32 AM
I'm someone who did everything that is always suggested. I drank lots of water, I lifted weights before, during, and after weight loss, lost at a healthy pace, in my early 20s...and I still have loose skin. And stretch marks. Lots of those.

It sucks, but I don't have all that much loose skin. It's tightened up in that it no longer hangs down off my abdomen unless I'm bending over, but I just think my skin is shredded from when I rapidly gained weight as a teenager. I can't really do much about it, but I think that lifting weights helped me avoid having more loose skin on my arms and legs at the very least.

I think it's partly genetics though. My teenage brother lost a lot of weight recently (I don't know how much, but he lost less than I did) and while he doesn't have stretch marks, he has loose skin on his stomach in the same way I do.

Honestly, just as most maintainers say, I would much rather be at this weight with loose skin than where I was before. It's a wonderful trade-off and while it means I can't have a career as a bikini model, it at least means I can feel wonderful in a fit body.

Wow! You have the same goal weight and start weight as me :) So you have lose skin huh, I always wanted to know if someone who lost 85 pounds- the same that I will, had it :( But I guess it depends on other factors...you did say that it lessened though right? My worst fear is that it will hang downwards :(

Krissypants29
08-15-2013, 04:33 AM
I agree. Just keep in mind that you don't know what end of the spectrum you'll fall on, so there's no need worrying about it before it happens (IF it happens).

The idea of having a lot of loose skin after weight loss is definitely disheartening. I just want to feel like I look good naked once in my life! Maybe I will. I hope I will. Or maybe I'll have loose skin and have to dress to cover it. Or maybe I'll be able to afford to surgically remove it, but feel self-conscious about the scars. But when I really think about it, I'd rather have scars or loose skin than stay big. When I was younger, my vanity was my #1 weight loss motivator. Over the last 5 or so years, it's really started taking a physical toll on me (particularly my knees). My #1 reason now, is not feeling so old and out of shape. I'm 27. I want to FEEL 27... whether I look good naked or not.

You are right, I should be grateful to have lost this amount and my upcoming amount..and surgery .. I dont think I can deal with that..so I would probably just tough it up or try and tone more..who knows..I guess we will see!

JessLess
08-15-2013, 04:49 AM
Well thats ridiculous, I get the point to lose weight is to become healthy and all but whats the point when most ppl dont like their image still!! Sure I would chose to be healthier than to have tight skin, but there has to be some way.

As a Health At Every Size Advocate, I ave never disliked my body. In fact, if I hadn't been able to love my body at its heaviest, I never would have been able to lose weight.

I worked out, cardio and lifting weights, the entire time I was losing and have no loose skin. I do have stretch marks, but I don't care.

Of course everyone is different, but I think health is as important as weight loss for other reasons, and exercise (for those who can do it) is extremely important for health, mood, etc.

sontaikle
08-15-2013, 06:21 AM
Wow! You have the same goal weight and start weight as me :) So you have lose skin huh, I always wanted to know if someone who lost 85 pounds- the same that I will, had it :( But I guess it depends on other factors...you did say that it lessened though right? My worst fear is that it will hang downwards :(

I've actually lost somewhere north of 100lbs--I just don't know my starting weight. That's something to consider ;)

I have loose skin, but I don't have anything that requires surgery (in that it's a health issue). It doesn't hang down when I stand up, but bending over it can hang off my abdomen. Doing planks is physically uncomfortable for me, but that's the only exercise I have trouble with. I need to make sure I wear compression pants if I'm doing high impact cardio to hold it all in.

I USED to have a little bit that hung down, but the skin has tightened up in the 1.5+ years since I hit goal. Other maintainers say the same--time helps the skin. I actually can wear low rise jeans now when I could not just a year ago at a slightly lower weight (my skin would hang over).

My body reminds me of a woman's who has had a very large child (or multiple children) in that the skin seems stretched out and unable to snap back fully. If I pinch it I can pull it outwards much more than someone else at my size normally would.

It really depends on so much. I have a good friend who lost around the same amount of weight and she has no loose skin on her abdomen but has more on her arms and legs than I do. She's a personal trainer right now, so she was no stranger to exercise!

I've also seen people who have lost 100lbs and look as if they never gained in the first place, so you don't really know until you get there.

As I said before: I'd much rather be where I am now with loose skin. It doesn't bother me all that much because of how much better I feel. I've considered surgery, but I decided that the $$ would be better spent buying my own place right now ;)

As a Health At Every Size Advocate, I ave never disliked my body. In fact, if I hadn't been able to love my body at its heaviest, I never would have been able to lose weight.

I worked out, cardio and lifting weights, the entire time I was losing and have no loose skin. I do have stretch marks, but I don't care.

Of course everyone is different, but I think health is as important as weight loss for other reasons, and exercise (for those who can do it) is extremely important for health, mood, etc.

I'm a HAES follower and it's also because of the movement that I was able to lose weight. I love most of the philosophies and have used it to encourage others to adopt healthier lifestyles. :)

SoMuchFattitude
08-15-2013, 12:31 PM
I've lost 125lbs and definitely have lose skin. The elasticity of skin starts to decline after 30. I'll be 30 in 2 months. I suspect mine has probably bounced back as much as it will, unfortunately. I will probably have surgery post having children.

Tudor Rose
08-21-2013, 01:41 PM
I've lost 100+ and definitely have loose skin (I've always had stretch marks, so I don't know if I have more now). Worst is under my arms. You can see muscle definition in the upper part but I have some serious bat wings hanging underneath when I raise my arms. It is what it is. Took me awhile to see the loose skin as badges of honor for how far I've come but I at least feel comfortable wearing sleeveless shirts and dresses now :)

lazylioness
08-21-2013, 03:52 PM
I've lost 100+ and definitely have loose skin (I've always had stretch marks, so I don't know if I have more now). Worst is under my arms. You can see muscle definition in the upper part but I have some serious bat wings hanging underneath when I raise my arms. It is what it is. Took me awhile to see the loose skin as badges of honor for how far I've come but I at least feel comfortable wearing sleeveless shirts and dresses now :)

Ugh bat wings! My son tells me I look like a flying squirrel!

I have only lost 50 lbs and have 130+ more to go....I suspect that it will get much worse...I never felt uncomfortable wearing sleeveless..now I do :(

Oh well. It is what it is, and hopefully the awesome insurance plan we have will pay for all of whatever surgery I will end up having.

DrivenByAmbition
09-19-2013, 08:09 PM
With weight loss comes loose skin. I'd rather be healthy with the loose skin then unhealthy on the verge of heart disease.