Old 08-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 390/390/199

Height: 5'8

Default I hate clothes!

Fall is coming soon, and I have nothing and I mean nothing that I can wear for fall. All summer I've been wearing the same six outfits, and I have two dresses. I don't see a point in spending a ton of money on clothes when hopefully, I will go down a size before long. But, with fall coming I need new t-shirts, and jeans. I also need some slacks, and maybe a new dress just in case someone gets married or something. I'm wearing a size 26/28 but I think they might be starting to get a little big on me. I think I have one pair of size 24 shorts stuck somewhere in my closet so I guess I need to get those out and try them on. It would be nice to be able to buy 22/24 for fall. Last fall winter I was in a 30/32.

What do you buy when you change sizes?
workinghardatlosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #2  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I actually wait to buy anything until I go down so far that my clothes look horrible LOL.

It took five sizes for me to finally get new stuff. My friend had to do an "intervention". I love smaller sizes, and I LOVE shopping....but it is hard for me to get used to being smaller...

Anyway, if I were you, I would wait until you cannot handle being in your summer clothes anymore..and then get a few pairs of jeans and maybe some yoga pants etc in the size you are when you go shopping. The reality is unless you plan on dropping 5+ sizes in the few months of fall/winter, belts can go a long way!
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #3  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Thrift stores! Inexpensive and great for when you are "transitioning".
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I started at size 34W and now wear a size 2. I have a very professional job where I have to very much dress up every day. Needless to say, I went through AT LEAST 4 full wardrobes on the way down.

Fortunately I have skinny relatives and friends who donated to my cause and also my 2 favorite places to score nice clothes on the cheap was the clearance racks of Target and Kohl's!!

It was still expensive, but totally worth it.

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #5  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I like shopping final clearance sales online. Sometimes I see something ridiculously marked down but a size or two too small. If I like it, I buy it. Half my closet is filling up with things that don't fit...yet. A quarter of my closet is filled with things I wear now, mostly stretchy fitness gear because I work at a fitness studio. That'll last me for a couple sizes down. And the other quarter of my closet is filled with stuff that is really nice and I can size it down, should I need something nicer to wear. I guess it helps that I know how to sew. When I get really sick of something, I get rid of it.

I just bought a few pieces of fabric for new tops. I really needed something nicer to wear outside of work. I'm making some kaftan-style tops that are good at any size, in a variety of colors/patterns, to wear with jeans/pants. Very easy to make. I'm terribly tired of my t-shirt and pants uniform. I used to make myself a lot of really stylish clothes, but stopped when I got so dissatisfied with how I looked.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Goodwill, Salvation Army, consignment shops.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #7  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Much of the time I would have 2 pairs of black dress slacks and 5 tops that would do for work. Then I would wear all my too big clothes at home.

I have not had many clothes while losing weight but when I was at my highest weigh I did not have many clothes. I hated shopping but now it is much better.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 353/340/299 (for now)

Height: 5'5"

I am in this boat now as nothing I have fits properly anymore and I work in a corporate environment every day so I can't look sloppy by wear clothing too big that doesn't fit.

I took my nicer, staple pieces and had them altered which was really cheap (less than $20). Anything else I needed I just bought from Target.
Dreamgyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #9  

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Most of my clothes are 5x's from when I started this journey. I had some size 26 shorts that I bought a few years ago and never wore because I gained weight and couldn't fit into them. So, I've been wearing those all summer. Now, my 5X shirts will fly over my head on a windy day, or when I bend over you can see straight through them, so it's time I retire them!

I think though, I will wait until mid Sept or so before I go buy anything. I appreciate your suggestions! I actually never thought of checking Goodwill or thrift stores.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 353/340/299 (for now)

Height: 5'5"

If you are 305 like your ticker says, you are literally swimming in 5Xs!!!!

Walmart.com has a great selection of cheap plus size clothing so check there as well. Since so many places are having clearance sales now, you should be able to snag some good deals too.
Dreamgyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #11  
Golden Goose

S/C/G: 333/tracker/150

Height: 5'10

Lol, funny thing is, goodwills and thrift shops where I live don't really have plus sized clothing. I do know though, that once I have to buy some new clothes, my bigger clothing will be going to the thrift shop! :P
Slush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 325/326/160

Height: 6'2"

I hate trying things on but love the thrift stores, because when I get rid of my clothes they can go back to the store that they came from and help others out. Since most of the thrift store around here are charity stores.
musicalchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 208/152/132

Height: 5'3"

I have had great luck at Kohl's. A friend of mine who had gastric bypass also told me to buy a few staples, like a nice pair of black slacks and a black cardigan and then buy clearance stuff for everything else. The best way I found to do this was to buy out of season stuff and modify it. For example, this time of year pick up colorful tank tops to wear underneath a sweater or blazer. I did that last year and most of them were in the $2 to $3 range at Kohl's after clearance and a % off coupon.

Now is the time to focus on accessories. No one will notice that you wear the same white blouse and black slacks over and over if you dress it up with cute scarves, chunky necklaces, and other fun, bold accessories that you can wear through many sizes.

Also, some people (thankfully I get to be one of them!) don't change shoe size as they gain/lose weight. If you are like that, enjoy some shoe shopping!

It is also a good time to start looking for fun handbags if that is something that you like. These things will make you feel better about how you look without breaking the bank for things you will just grow out of.

I would definitely recommend that you start shopping for accessories and learn to have fun doing it! This will motivate you to lose more and look forward to clothes shopping as well, because if you are anything like me, right now clothes shopping is a chore that you aren't thrilled about, so accessory shopping is the first step in learning to like shopping for yourself!
20lbtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #14  
Moving one day at a time

S/C/G: 450/399/160

Height: 5'2"

I'm horrible but I pretty much buy clothes all the time and will keep up with each size. right now I'm pretty in between (at least when it comes to shirts) and my pants are starting to get saggy in what used to be my much fatter a*s, but jeans are and have always been a problem for me. I'll pretty much keep wearing my same clothes until they literally look too huge, because I've spent a great deal of money on them and most of them are too new to part with. yeah I have a problem >_> lol
wheezypi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #15  

Dreamgyrl- I'm 304 ( I lost a lb this week, lol), I'm really hoping I can wear a 3x when I get my fall clothes.

20lbtogo- I've never been a girly girl. So, I've never wore the jewelry, and cared about handbags and shoes. I am interested in adding those, but I just have no sense of style. I'm trying to learn to care for myself more as I get smaller. I don't think I can fit into anything from Kohls yet. I would love to though. I'm so ready to not need a 4x or 5x any more.