Mini-Goals - NSV: blood pressure 118/70

View Full Version : NSV: blood pressure 118/70

diamondgeog
08-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Started my latest weight loss journey on May 1. This time feels better and different than ever before. I had reached my breaking point. Long story short the biggest reason is my daughter. My wife and I went on a journey, couldn't have kids, got certified to adopt in the foster system, did foster to adopt, our first placement went back, finally adopted in November of 2011. She is awesome. She will be 3 in September. I will be 60 when she turns 15. I HAD to get healthy.

So on May 1 I started to exercise literally every-day. I then started to eat better. Not consistently not every day not every meal of every day at first. I FINALLY found the key for me: it was too many carbs. Not saying this is the case for everyone. But I had classic big belly, borderline ok blood pressure, high triglycerides, ok levels of bad cholesterol, low levels of good cholesterol.

CLASSIC eating too many carbs then still feeling hungry and then eating too many carbs and not exercising enough.

Well a little over 3 months later WOW. Down to 257 this morning but beyond that number. I feel AWESOME. 2 huge NSV. Took my blood pressure yesterday and it was 118/70 which I found is the normal level of a healthy adult. It hasn't been that good in who knows how long.

Second I have finally gotten off the carb bandwagaon. It was hard the first month or two but I truly reached a point somewhere the last few weeks where my carb cravings went away. I can literally have one potato chip now and pizza and ice cream don't think about, don't miss. Had one French fries in June, don't miss them. My energy levels are fantastic now. I can't not exercise now. If I haven't by evening I do it right before bed. I am starting a C25K program which would be huge for me. I have never run in my life.

Anyhow I urge people, I am not going to say beg, but I urge people to research low carb and insulin and the history of obesity in America. Obesity SURGED once we had the recommendation that fat was the problem not carbs. It CANNOT be a coincidence. It simply cannot.

Here are some helpful things I have found.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/the-1-cause-of-obesity-insulin

http://www.dietdoctor.com/yes-a-low-carb-diet-greatly-lowers-your-insulin

The second link has some more great links near the bottom under the previously section.

Getting under 250 will be huge for me. I haven't been there for awhile. Then downward and downward.

Kaitie9399
08-08-2013, 02:34 PM
:bravo:

You're on a roll!!!

fairandfree
08-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Woo! Good job so far, you are definitely on your way! :D And you have such a great reason to want to get in shape!

And I know how you feel about getting under 250... for me that's going to just be the accomplishment of getting back to 218. The last time I was at my heaviest, THAT was it... and I've gained so much since then! So it is going to really fell massive getting back to it.

Good luck in all you do! :D

EagleRiverDee
08-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Great job! And I agree with you about low(er) carb. I do paleo, and try to keep my carbs between 100-150g a day. The average American is consuming over 400g of carbs a day. And yes, there is a direct correlation between the obesity epidemic and when the "war on fat" began and everyone started eating carbs like crazy and HFCS got stuffed into everything.

Creativian
08-11-2013, 08:25 PM
That's great, diamondgeog. I find it's the carbs for me too. I'm not eliminating grains and potatoes but I don't eat much of them. I also eat breakfast early and have 2 snacks a day. I read that people who eat 5 small meals lose more weight than people who eat 3 bigger meals. It seems to be working.

Mozzy
08-12-2013, 01:31 AM
Congrats!!!!