Weight Loss Support - Eating out - caloric junk is EVERYWHERE

tricon7
08-07-2013, 08:49 AM
I'm constantly speechless as I drive around and see the restaurants/fast food joints that offer almost nothing but high, high fattening fares. It's like America is deliberately trying to make the population obese (sorry - more obese). Virtually all fast food stops are way off-limits to me, and dine-ins aren't much better. In fact, they all seem to glory in their mega-calorie offerings - like the Monster Thickburger at Hardee's, Wendy's "Quad Baconator" (four beef patties!), Burger King's "Triple Whopper," Ruby Tuesday's "Smokehouse Burger" (1,382 calories), Chili's "Smokehouse Bacon Triple-The-Cheese Big Mouth Burger" (without dressing - 1,840 calories), etc., and not including the dishes in the dine-in restaurants with all their cheese-covered pastas and sauce-flooded entrees.

Unless there's a Subway in the area, I usually have to stop off at a supermarket to find anything low-fat or low-cal for a decent meal, unless I just *want* to clog my arteries and add a quick pound or two. It's a pity we can't have offerings more like Japan, which seems to be relatively free of these insidious restaurants. I just don't understand why this country doesn't want to eat healthier. If no one bought this stuff, these restaurants wouldn't be selling it.

forkeeps
08-07-2013, 09:27 AM
I agree completely. And eating that fat-and-sugar-laden food turns into a vicious cycle, causing us to crave more and more of it. I, too, have to go to the grocery store if I want something "quick". Subway is okay but boring for me, ChickFilA has a really good low calorie salad (if you choose a decent dressing), but other than that I stay out of fast foods places. But heck, I'm saving money that way too, so it's a double win for me.

Unfortunately, too many people choose the easy route for everything, including eating, and don't want to put forth a little extra effort required to make sensible choices, nor do they want to make the effort to think for themselves. That's why the fast foods industry thrives.

Rana
08-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Yep. I am "safer" when I cook at home.

The other thing I try to do it avoid chain restaurants of all kinds because that food is probably made in a factory or by Sysco and it's definitely not healthy. Or, I stick to a salad and protein.

newleaf123
08-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Going out to eat has lost all its food joy for me :( the food is so unhealthy, it's generally $100 incl tip for our family of 4, and I can make better food for a lot less at home.

When I go out, I usually get a salad, ask them to hold all the high calorie stuff, with dressing on the side. So, a totally boring, expensive salad. Whoopee!

Tuscany
08-07-2013, 10:51 AM
I think part of the problem is that low-cal meals -- such as grilled chicken or a salad -- are pretty easy to make yourself. So, not too many people are willing to pay restaurant prices and/or travel for things they can just as easily make at home.

That said, I was fortunate enough to find a local restaurant chain that makes an absolutely fabulous Waldorf salad (made with a low-cal apple/balsamic dressing, rather than the usual mayo dressing)...and it's served with a small piece of grilled salmon on the side. The meal is to die for, and I now treat myself at least a couple of times a month. I would order that dish even if I weren't on a diet...it's so tasty and so filling. It's really a plus if you can find a restaurant that serves something that is healthy and tasty, because you then at least have a viable option for eating out.

Psychic
08-07-2013, 12:13 PM
One good thing is that next year, all major restaurants and fast food joints will need to post their calories. Personally, I see this helping me. Also, some restaurants are offering lower calories menus now. My new favorite is Applebees because they have multiple tasty meals under 550. I do agree that most food available outside of the home is pure junk though.

As far as eating out goes, these are things I order. Not the best, but not as bad as some other choices.

McDonalds
Grilled Sweet Chili McWrap is 360
Fruit & Yogurt Parfait is 150

Wendy's
JBC w/o Mayo is 340
Caesar Side Salad is 250
Sour Cream and Chives Potato is 370

Subway
6 in. Turkey Breast on Wheat w/ Cheese, Spinach, Cucumber, and Southwest Chipotle is 420
6 in. Chicken Breast on Wheat w/ Cheese, Cucumber, Jalepeno, Spinach, and Honey Mustard is 390

Applebees
Creamy Parmesan Chicken w/ Sides is 460
Roasted Garlic Sirloin w/ Sides is 450

sacha
08-07-2013, 12:15 PM
I cannot stomach fast food after spending years at home cooking. I don't know how I ate that every day once upon a time!

tricon7
08-07-2013, 12:17 PM
I forgot to add - with the eateries making us all fat, the tendency is now to look at those people who are trim as gods. I guess it's why they're constantly on the magazine covers in the supermarkets so much.

nelie
08-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Chipotle is my goto for a sensible meal when out and about. I usually split a bowl with my husband or save half the bowl for later.

I never ate fast food in general, maybe a Taco Bell bean burrito once in a great while but I wasn't a fast food type.

carter
08-07-2013, 12:41 PM
I love to eat out; I eat dinner out about once a week. But I rarely, if ever, go to a fast food or chain restaurant. I love fine dining and ethnic food, and I am lucky to live in a place where a diversity of such choices is available and to be able to afford them. I can't order indiscriminately, of course, if I want to eat on plan, but I have go-to items at my favorite restaurants and strategies for approaching meals at new restaurants.

Zima
08-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Yep. If I HAVE to eat out, it's Panera or Subway for me. Otherwise, I only go out to eat if I know that I'm going to purposefully go off my diet, which probably happens about once a week.

Buffinlovin
08-07-2013, 01:07 PM
I enjoy good food. Now the fast food "triple patty" type food, that is not good and I'm okay avoiding that, but good restaurant quality food...yea, that's hard for me to decline. I'm lucky enough to live around some high quality, chef-owned restaurants where the food is unique and delicious.

I try to go for something that appears on plan when I try new places like this, but once I get it I know it's not (usually just the splash of olive oil they use to finish the dish is enough to add a significant sum of calories)...and I'm okay with that. I don't go to these places often, and I refuse to never allow myself that fine tasting food that I enjoy.

geoblewis
08-07-2013, 01:44 PM
I love to eat out too. I used to go out several times a week. Totally did NOTHING for my figure other than blow me out to an eggplant shape...and not the Japanese kind either!

I am very, VERY concerned with how ridiculous the fast-food landscape has become in this country. Yes, we are all responsible for what we put into our own mouths. But apparently, many in our nation don't understand that AT ALL.

These days, going out is a very special treat, and I will only go to a few select restaurants that I know very well and will give me exactly what I want. And I will calorically splurge at that meal. I only go out once a month now.

Whatever we used to get when going out, I can make a much tastier and healthier version at home. I do like Chipotle, but I've got a sensitivity to their meat marinades. All I can eat there is a salad with no dressing, and I can make that at home. I marinate and grill meat and bag it into portions, pop it in the freezer for future use. This morning I roasted a free-range turkey. It's already cut up and bagged and in the freezer. There's also a sliced tri-tip in there. I keep the fridge loaded with salad fixings from the supermarket and vine-ripened tomatoes from the farmer's market. I make a big tub of my own salsa every few days, as well as guacamole, so we have Chipotle at home fairly often. We'll grill our own burgers. I even make really great fish n chips and French fries, but not that often. (Alton Brown knows how to do it best, on Food Network.)

I keep the TV off most of the time, and the rest of the time we watch things on Netflix or On Demand and ff through the commercials. I need to not see the commercials. I'm highly suggestible!

PreciousMissy
08-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Just the other night I was craving Chili's ribs. The rib dinner comes with two sides so I ordered corn on the cob, and salad...sounds healthy, right?

I added up the calories for the entire meal and it was 2,040!

That meal is intended for one person, for one meal! My boyfriend and I split the meal and I was able to control the calories for the salad by using minimal dressing. Even my boyfriend was shocked when I told him the calorie content. He said he's eaten the entire meal more than once, and he never ordered salad, lol.

tricon7
08-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Just the other night I was craving Chili's ribs. The rib dinner comes with two sides so I ordered corn on the cob, and salad...sounds healthy, right?

I added up the calories for the entire meal and it was 2,040!

That meal is intended for one person, for one meal! My boyfriend and I split the meal and I was able to control the calories for the salad by using minimal dressing. Even my boyfriend was shocked when I told him the calorie content. He said he's eaten the entire meal more than once, and he never ordered salad, lol.

Oh yeah, been there, done that - I've occasionally ordered a full rack of ribs instead of a half rack on those times when I was particularly hungry. I knew that they weren't exactly low-fat, but I'm afraid to look at the calorie count on those. And these were barbequed. :^:

Elladorine
08-07-2013, 02:24 PM
I just got a Sam's Club membership for the first time in years, and I started thinking about this as the hubby and I got in line at the snack bar up front. They offered a caesar salad (I can't have the dressing because of my seafood allergy), and a yogurt parfait made of a substitute "yogurt" with a lot of added sugar. Then of course the usual hot dogs, soft pretzels, a fried chicken sandwich, pizza . . . not that you can expect much from a snack bar like that, but how difficult would it be for them to offer fresh fruit like apples or bananas, or to have a salad that offers more than iceberg lettuce and fatty dressing? Then again those items probably wouldn't sell . . .

I'm a lazy cook, and I love eating out. :lol: But I've done my research and plan ahead. I know what works for my plan and if I have to adjust elsewhere for it. I have go-to meals at places like Applebee's, Chili's, and Denny's. I love the sweet chili grilled chicken wrap from McDonald's and the turkey burgers from Arby's. I also love the bowls from Chipotle. If I'm craving a burger, I have it! I just indulge in one from someplace like Red Robin, make sure I know what I'm getting into, and adjust everything else for the rest of the day.

This past weekend I indulged at California Pizza Kitchen with the hubby. I usually order something off the "new adventures" section of the menu, but instead splurged on a 900-something calorie pasta dish. And I ate it all. :D Hubby later complained that his meal was heavy, but still left him hungry. I did a quick calorie count in my head and let him know about what he had for the day, and it was much higher than he expected. He had guessed his pizza was about 900 calories, but I immediately told him it was over 1300 and that it did not even include the bread and butter we had for the appetizer!

I'm glad that places like McDonald's and Chipotle post their calorie counts and I hope more businesses follow suit. People really have no idea what goes into some of those menu items.

newleaf123
08-07-2013, 02:40 PM
I don't know how much posting the calorie counts affects behavior of the average person. We occasionally go to a noodle restaurant that posts their counts. I get a tiny Asian thing for maybe 320 calories. I absolutely cringe and bite my tongue as my DS orders the spaghetti and meatballs. It's the highest calorie thing on the menu. It says right there, 900+ calories! Who would choose such a thing?? But he is 6'1" and weighs 139. So I say nothing. But I'm screaming in my head!!

I'm sure there are a lot of men, young and old, who just never look at the number or weigh it in their decision making. Probably women, too, although its hard for me to imagine....

PreciousMissy
08-07-2013, 02:42 PM
a yogurt parfait made of a substitute "yogurt" with a lot of added sugar.

I've heard of yogurt being a substitute for things like sour cream...but I've never heard of a substitute for yogurt! :dizzy:

Do you know what it was?

Elladorine
08-07-2013, 02:52 PM
I've heard of yogurt being a substitute for things like sour cream...but I've never heard of a substitute for yogurt! :dizzy:

Do you know what it was?
I think it had to have been some kind of milk product? If I remember right it actually said "yogurt substitute" right on the ingredients list! It made me crack up because the cup itself had the Yoplait Yogurt logo printed all over it. I should take a photo of the label the next time I'm there.

Krazy
08-07-2013, 03:06 PM
I never eat fast food, but I go out to eat 1-2x a week. Usually I order steak or seafood and two servings of vegetables. Sadly I have a bad habit of eating a relatively healthy entree and then finishing it off with a 1500 calorie dessert, arg.

crispin
08-07-2013, 03:10 PM
I just don't understand why this country doesn't want to eat healthier. If no one bought this stuff, these restaurants wouldn't be selling it.

It's always seemed to me like the collective American consciousness regarding food is like that of a 16 year old -- just got a license, some independence, and some cash from a part-time job, so is now free to indulge in whatever food they want. Being 16, the taste buds haven't matured much and are hooked on sugar and fat.

Many, many Americans aren't like that. That's just the vibe I get about the general attitude towards food.

crispin
08-07-2013, 03:22 PM
. I keep the fridge loaded with salad fixings from the supermarket and vine-ripened tomatoes from the farmer's market. I make a big tub of my own salsa every few days, as well as guacamole, so we have Chipotle at home fairly often.

I bow to you.

Elladorine
08-07-2013, 03:42 PM
I don't know how much posting the calorie counts affects behavior of the average person. We occasionally go to a noodle restaurant that posts their counts. I get a tiny Asian thing for maybe 320 calories. I absolutely cringe and bite my tongue as my DS orders the spaghetti and meatballs. It's the highest calorie thing on the menu. It says right there, 900+ calories! Who would choose such a thing?? But he is 6'1" and weighs 139. So I say nothing. But I'm screaming in my head!!

I'm sure there are a lot of men, young and old, who just never look at the number or weigh it in their decision making. Probably women, too, although its hard for me to imagine....
Honestly, I don't think some have the slightest idea of what those numbers mean, and most of those same people probably don't even care to know. And then there are others that think little beyond the concept of high calorie food just tastes good; in fact, the higher, the better! Oh, that dish is 1500 calories? It must be yummy and filling! :dizzy:

nelie
08-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Whatever we used to get when going out, I can make a much tastier and healthier version at home. I do like Chipotle, but I've got a sensitivity to their meat marinades. All I can eat there is a salad with no dressing, and I can make that at home. I marinate and grill meat and bag it into portions, pop it in the freezer for future use. This morning I roasted a free-range turkey. It's already cut up and bagged and in the freezer. There's also a sliced tri-tip in there. I keep the fridge loaded with salad fixings from the supermarket and vine-ripened tomatoes from the farmer's market. I make a big tub of my own salsa every few days, as well as guacamole, so we have Chipotle at home fairly often. We'll grill our own burgers. I even make really great fish n chips and French fries, but not that often. (Alton Brown knows how to do it best, on Food Network.)

I keep the TV off most of the time, and the rest of the time we watch things on Netflix or On Demand and ff through the commercials. I need to not see the commercials. I'm highly suggestible!

We don't have cable so no commercials here.

The times we do eat Chipotle are at airports or if somehow we are out of town. I think it is nice to know what you can eat when you are kind of stuck. We also research restaurants and look for healthier choices as well but I'm definitely glad for Chipotle at the airport.

lollerskates
08-07-2013, 04:33 PM
I love when restaurants list calorie counts, but I agree that people usually don't give them a second thought. Truth be told, before I started counting my calories, I thought that a 400 calorie drink at Starbucks was bad, but not toooo bad. Now I realize that I can eat an entire MEAL for that :o
I think most people know that they need 2000 calories or so a day, but they don't realize how fast they use them up.

shcirerf
08-07-2013, 10:53 PM
We rarely eat out. Like maybe once a month, if that. The DH and I both pack our breakfast and lunch and cook the evening meal at home. We also garden and have our the bulk of our meat home raised and processed.

Given that, while I do have thing about looking up restaurant menus, on the rare occasion we do go out, I order what I'm in the mood for.

But even that depends. Sometimes I just order what I want. Sometimes I pick apart the menu. Fast food is, well, fast food. Stick with the plain hamburger, toss half the bun, get the small fry, tea or water and move on.

Amazingly, a BLT, if you specify how you want it prepared, is not a bad choice. You get 2 pitiful slices of bacon, ask for mayo on the side, don't butter the bread, ask for whole wheat, ask for extra lettuce and tomato, ask for a dinner salad, dressing on the side!

I am attending a meal out this weekend, at a local steak house, a family thing, once a year. I'm having the 6 oz sirloin, baked potato, sour cream only, salad with dressing on the side. This I can figure out, and it will be tasty! And someone else is buying!:carrot:

alaskanlaughter
08-07-2013, 11:12 PM
I know this isn't the most popular plan of action but.....we go out to eat so VERY rarely....like the last time I can remember was over 2 months ago and that's about average (eating out every couple months)....and I ordered exactly what I wanted, ate it all, enjoyed it, and continued on with my usual exercise and calorie-counting....I didn't bother to figure out the calories and I didn't care....with going out to eat so rarely, I want to enjoy myself and not order the most boring/sensible meal on the menu....however our meals don't include appetizers and dessert, we've just never really cared for those

also around here there are really no fast food places.....mcdonalds and subway and I don't eat at either of those ever

shcirerf
08-07-2013, 11:34 PM
I know this isn't the most popular plan of action but.....we go out to eat so VERY rarely....like the last time I can remember was over 2 months ago and that's about average (eating out every couple months)....and I ordered exactly what I wanted, ate it all, enjoyed it, and continued on with my usual exercise and calorie-counting....I didn't bother to figure out the calories and I didn't care....with going out to eat so rarely, I want to enjoy myself and not order the most boring/sensible meal on the menu....however our meals don't include appetizers and dessert, we've just never really cared for those

also around here there are really no fast food places.....mcdonalds and subway and I don't eat at either of those ever

LIKE!

nelie
08-08-2013, 07:32 AM
Yeah, we aren't an appetizer or dessert type people eith but most of our restaurants really don't have those? We mostly go to Chinese (non tailored for Americans) or Ethiopian. When I go out to eat with coworkers, they always seem to want appetizers. I don't care since I'm not paying but have no interest in eating it either.

sacha
08-08-2013, 08:01 AM

That's what we do too. Between the kids and the lack of fast food (people here hate fast food), we go to a luxury restaurant once every month or two without the kids and make sure to get a table d'hôte (not sure how to translate this but it would be an appetizer, meal, dessert and drink with various options on special).

Why eat garbage every day when I can have a luxury meal once in a while instead? This is how things are done moreso in French culture which is why they eat such heavy foods but seem to be slimmer (obviously it's more complicated than that) but going out to eat on a daily basis is just not done except for seniors at a breakfast joint.

Going out to eat is supposed to be expensive. The idea of getting a massive amount of food for $9.99 is what is contributing. I remember going to dinner in London and portions are tiny and the price is huge. That's normal. Most restaurants in North America seem to make money off cheap/poor quality foods and VOLUME. Not to mention, is it true your servers make $2-3/hour? Yikes, volume on tips is how they must survive. Good luck finding anything more than a soup and salad special in most places outside North America for that price (when you take into account different incomes).

When I was in Egypt, you could get a beachside luxury meal for 30 Egyptian pounds which is about $6 American. Sounds good but then you take into account the average wage is 600-800 Egyptian pounds. A bag of American chips was 20 Egyptian pounds. Can you imagine paying something like $80US for a bag of Lays??? LOL
We do get appy and dessert but those come in tiny portions with a table d'hôte. It is more of a tasting of sweetness/cream to go with your after-dinner coffee.

Suzanne 3FC
08-08-2013, 09:17 AM
I can't even remember the last time I ate out because I live in a town that thrives on unhealthy chain restaurants, and I think their popularity is reflected in the local obesity rate. You wouldn't believe the excitement last week when another fried chicken restaurant opened. There was so much traffic that a few accidents occurred in front of it.

I'm going out of town at the end of the month and am lucky that the city has a high focus on healthy living, so there will be quite a few wonderful independently owned restaurants that use locally grown ingredients. I wish my own hometown was like that.

freelancemomma
08-08-2013, 09:21 AM
I want to enjoy myself and not order the most boring/sensible meal on the menu....however our meals don't include appetizers and dessert, we've just never really cared for those

My own guiding principle when eating out is to get something I couldn't or wouldn't prepare at home. So no boring grilled chicken breasts for me. Appetizers tend to be the most interesting to me, so I'll often order two appetizers instead of a main course and call it a day. Give me a plateful of calamari and some goat cheese thingie and I'm a happy clam.

F.

memememe76
08-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Aside from my daily trip to the coffeeshop (just a drink, no pastries), I eat out about 1-2 times per week. I love eating out--it will take my entire lifetime to try out every Vietnamese and sushi restaurant in my city, but I'm working on it!

I live in a large city, so options for healthier fare are broader. Even at a diner type place, I can always order a veggie or chicken burger, substitute fries for a salad, dressing on the side. Order a diet pop, water or tea.

And I can easily find a menu for every restaurant. If there is one type of cuisine that I find difficult to order, it's Italian and Greek. But I almost never go to an Italian or Greek restaurant, so not a big deal.

I would rather go to a restaurant with my friends than go to my friend's house and eat whatever they make. Eating at other people's homes is something I'm still trying to figure out.

nelie
08-08-2013, 10:41 AM
That's what we do too. Between the kids and the lack of fast food (people here hate fast food), we go to a luxury restaurant once every month or two without the kids and make sure to get a table d'hôte (not sure how to translate this but it would be an appetizer, meal, dessert and drink with various options on special).

Why eat garbage every day when I can have a luxury meal once in a while instead? This is how things are done moreso in French culture which is why they eat such heavy foods but seem to be slimmer (obviously it's more complicated than that) but going out to eat on a daily basis is just not done except for seniors at a breakfast joint.

Going out to eat is supposed to be expensive. The idea of getting a massive amount of food for $9.99 is what is contributing. I remember going to dinner in London and portions are tiny and the price is huge. That's normal. Most restaurants in North America seem to make money off cheap/poor quality foods and VOLUME. Not to mention, is it true your servers make $2-3/hour? Yikes, volume on tips is how they must survive. Good luck finding anything more than a soup and salad special in most places outside North America for that price (when you take into account different incomes).

When I was in Egypt, you could get a beachside luxury meal for 30 Egyptian pounds which is about $6 American. Sounds good but then you take into account the average wage is 600-800 Egyptian pounds. A bag of American chips was 20 Egyptian pounds. Can you imagine paying something like $80US for a bag of Lays??? LOL
We do get appy and dessert but those come in tiny portions with a table d'hôte. It is more of a tasting of sweetness/cream to go with your after-dinner coffee.

Funny, table d'hote is what we call prix fixe here or possibly chef's menu. Since we are vegetarian (well vegan but even vegetarian is difficult), there aren't a lot of prix fixe options, there used to be a fancy vegan restaurant that offered that but that closed up. Most prix fixe/chef's menu options in my city are around $50-$60/person. We did it once or twice prior to being vegan.

My husband and I don't spend a lot when we go out to eat, usually $40-$60 (including tip) and our frequency varies, when I was going to school it was more often (once per week) because I didn't have a lot to time to cook so what I did cook was pretty simple and eating out would give us some variety.

In terms of tipping, in the US it is a complicated issue but yes servers can make $2-$3 (or less in some states?) per hour and they are expected to be tipped to minimum wage at least. The problem is that most restaurants require that part of the tips go to others including the bussers and the restaurant host. So it is possible that if someone has a bad night tipping that they can get no tip money and actually have to dip into their hourly wage to pay other people. Also, most restaurants employ people for 39.5 hours or less since they don't have to provide benefits unless someone works over 40 hours.

TooWicky
08-08-2013, 11:34 AM
I'd like to echo how much I love it when places list the calories of meals offered. Before 5 months ago, I'll be honest, I didn't even know what a normal days calorie consumption should be. Those numbers on the menu would likely have meant nothing to me. I credit joining these forums as the sole reason for the light bulb coming on over my head and realizing I needed to educate myself on calories. We seldom go out to eat now (expensive for a family of four, plus we are focusing on healthier food choices and dining at home.) The portion sizes are the most shocking to me now. I really cringe when I think about my erm former self feeling like eating a lot of food for a great price was not wasting anything :o When we do go out to eat, we plan on coming straight home afterward, so we can bring leftovers home and put them in the fridge before continuing our family plans.

Sometimes we do go through fast food drive-thrus. I have a few go-to favorite choices at various fast food places, and I have to say I, too, love the Sweet Chili Grilled Chicken Premium McWrap from McDonald's at 360 cal. It's a really large wrap and honestly almost hard to finish it's so big. One of my other favorites is the Jr. Turkey and Cheese from Arby's at 220 calories. It's off of the Kid's menu there and comes with no condiments on it. Very filling as well, even though it's a small sandwich. I love Panera's but I don't know what are some good options from there - if anyone has some suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

PreciousMissy
08-08-2013, 12:25 PM
The idea of getting a massive amount of food for $9.99 is what is contributing.

My ex thought of it as a game. How much food could he get for $1.99. He wouldn't eat anywhere if the portions were "small", it was all about quantity over quality.

His 350+ weight was proof that he was "winning" the game. :dizzy:

geoblewis
08-08-2013, 12:30 PM
I work at a fitness studio. Every year, after the winter holiday season, we run a diet/fitness lifestyle clean-up for our clients. It goes about three months. We start with measuring everyone to determine their BMR, then we give them a calorie range and walk them through making small changes every week to get away from eating sugary foods and to increase their vegetable servings and make sure they eat adequate quantities of protein to help them build muscle. We don't make them cut calories drastically. We want them to shed fat, gain muscle and build bone density. Everyone who participates achieves that.

I am always so surprised at how little people know about portions and calories. It makes me ANGRY that the American food industry plays with that ignorance to make money off people. The calorie counts on menus, while I'm happy that they are there, really don't mean a thing to most people. It's really shocking at how calorie dense a lot of restaurant foods are. I point it out to my sons all the time and I'm really sure they are totally sick of hearing me talk about it! My youngest loves to order an appetizer, and a dinner plate, AND a dessert. Plus, they bring those bottomless sodas. He can easily put away 3000 calories at one meal. He loves to overeat because he's got this idea that he wants to be a big heavy man. He's nearly 16 and is a defensive lineman on the football team plus does taekwondo. He works out three to four hours a day, five days a week. And when he eats like that, even with that fitness schedule, he doesn't lose fat! So at home, I feed him a lot of veggies with every meal, a healthy portion of protein, and I keep tight control over the grains. No sodas either. And he doesn't complain about not getting enough food. I feed him well. But when we go out (he loves to go to Romano's Macaroni Grill), he goes WAY off the deep end. So, we don't go out very often.