Old 08-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/165/150

Height: 5`7`

Question What do you think about jicama ?

Hi, fisrt time I write here. I'm little shy because I'm not fluent in english, I speak french so sorry for the writing mistakes.

On OP since july 8th, 13 lbs lost.

I discover jicama last week. It taste good with cinnamon and stevia, it tastes apple !
I worry about the high level of glucides in it: 12g for 100g. It too much I think even it is on the list of veggies we can eat, I'm confused about it. Can I eat it without doubt of not losing ?

What do you think ?
zibelline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #2  
Started IP 2/13/13

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

I know exactly what you mean about jicama. I love it prepared the same way that you do. I have noticed in the past though, that if I have it more than once per week, it shows on the scale for me. I try to save it now for a treat every once in a while when I am needing something special.

Glad you have joined in!
SylviesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #3  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Don't forget you can subtract the fibre content of the jicama from the carbohydrates.
According to nutritiondata (see link below) 1 cup (120g) has 11 gms carbs, with 6 gms fibre. So that's 5g net carbs.
I agree that it reminds me of apple... and with only 2g of sugar/cup it's a good substitute when you get that apple craving.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2727/2
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #4  
Working to be an after!

S/C/G: 269/151.6/149

Height: 5'2''

I love jicama!!! One of my favorites! I've had it frequently since being on IP and haven't seen a difference in my losses. It's on the list of approved veggies. So it perfectly ok to have as part of your 4 cups a day. Enjoy it! I like to cut it thinly and use it as a taco shell with all the fixings. Delicious!
crazynette826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #5  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 162 / 151 / 135

Height: 5"6'

Welcome! I love jicama too. It's so light and refreshing. It tastes almost as if an apple and a glass of water had a baby. ...just light and delicious. I'll cut it up with some carrots and cucumbers and just snack on it all as I work in front of the computer.
PaleoPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/200/190(?)

Height: 5'10"

I love jicama. It is not carried by all grocery stores near me, but I can pick it up occasionally.

Here is my "recipe" though it is really dead simple.

Peel/pare the jicama and cut julienne style.
Add the zest and juice of one lime. Toss gently.
Refrigerate.

You can serve this jicama lime mixture on its own, or mix into your salad for some additional crunch. The lime goes really well with mexican spiced dishes. Try this....Chicken and peppers served on a big bed of romaine lettuce, with olive oil and cider vinegar dressing, topped with a generous portion of jicama lime salad. Enjoy!

Last edited by Shawsy; 08-06-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Shawsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #7  
Started IP 2/13/13

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

Maybe it's in the way that I prepare my jicama, because I like to make it up with Splenda and cinnamon. Maybe the Splenda is what slows down the scale.

I love the idea of using it as a taco shell/tortilla!
SylviesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 232/177/145

GRILLED PORK TENDERLOIN WITH JICAMA CUCUMBER SALSA

I modified one of my favorite recipes when I first started phase 1. My original recipe has diced avocado in the salsa which I will add back in phase 4.

FOR SALSA:

2 English cucumbers, sliced
1 small jicama, diced
2 T. fresh ginger, minced
4 scallions, sliced
2 T. fresh garlic, chopped
3 T. soy sauce
3 T. rice vinegar
Juice of two limes
1/2 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes

Mix & refrigerate a few hours before serving for best flavor. Even better the next day.

FOR PORK TENDERLOIN:

Make a spice rub -- enough for two 1 lb. pork tenderloins
1 T. cumin seeds
1 T. oregano
2 tsp basil
2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp ancho chili powder
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder

2 one-lb pork tenderloins

Toast cumin seeds in a small skillet for 1 - 2 minutes over low heat, just til fragrant. They burn easily, so watch carefully. Crush cumin seeds in a mortar or spice mill, if you have one. Mix with other dried spices. Brush each pork tenderloin with a bit of olive oil and rub with spice rub. Refrigerate for two hours or up to overnight. Let sit out for 30 minutes before roasting or grilling and the tenderloins will cook more evenly. Roast at 375 degrees or grill for 20 to 25 minutes until internal temperature is 155 degrees. Cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes. Internal temperature will go up to 165, and they will be perfectly juicy and tender.

Slice thinly and serve with Jicama & Cucumber Salsa. Very nice with roasted cauliflower or cauliflower rice.
petchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoPeanut View Post
Welcome! I love jicama too. It's so light and refreshing. It tastes almost as if an apple and a glass of water had a baby. ...just light and delicious. I'll cut it up with some carrots and cucumbers and just snack on it all as I work in front of the computer.
Carrots? If you are on Phase 1 at least (what I am on), they are not allowed.

I love jicama and pick it up when I can. I love it raw or even in the oven crisped up with sweetener and cinnamon.
goldilocksinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #10  

I LOVE it, but I can not have it in my house. It has been the only thing I have gone off plan for since I started IP. I eat it all!!! I think it's too much like fruit, I ate it all in one day (felt full and gross for 2 days)!!
trishthayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 272/224/205

Height: 5'11

Wow ok...I guess I need to get me some jicama!!!
tiggermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #12  
Started IP July 2013

S/C/G: 329/265/154

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawsy View Post
I love jicama. It is not carried by all grocery stores near me, but I can pick it up occasionally.

Here is my "recipe" though it is really dead simple.

Peel/pare the jicama and cut julienne style.
Add the zest and juice of one lime. Toss gently.
Refrigerate.

You can serve this jicama lime mixture on its own, or mix into your salad for some additional crunch. The lime goes really well with mexican spiced dishes. Try this....Chicken and peppers served on a big bed of romaine lettuce, with olive oil and cider vinegar dressing, topped with a generous portion of jicama lime salad. Enjoy!
I ate jicama for the first time in Texas and we always prepared it julienned with lime as well but with added chipotle chili powder, sweet, limey and zesty.
garnettac is offline   Reply With Quote