General chatter - Wedding question

View Full Version : Wedding question

ShyHeather
08-04-2013, 11:34 PM
So, I am getting married next June and am confused about what to do for the dance. I know tradition it is just the normal father-daughter dance. That being said, I am marrying into a wonderful family and absolutely love my new father-in-law and my mother-in-laws hubby.

Is it weird to split the dance up into 3?? A few minutes with my dad, a few with his dad, and a few with the step-dad or save it for just my dad and his dad??

Just looking for some input on the subject, and see what others think about it. Thanks!:idea:

CanadianCutie
08-05-2013, 12:35 AM
Do what you want, it's your wedding. I think it's sweet that you want to include the other Dads. Maybe have the DJ explain what you're doing, so there's no confusion, and pick a song that suits each man.

Buffinlovin
08-05-2013, 12:41 AM
I know I will be running into the same problem when I get married (I have my dad, my fiance's dad, and my fiance's mother's husband), and I've decided that my father-daughter dance is with my dad alone. I love my other two dads-in-law, but my dad is the one giving me away, and he is the one who deserves that special dance.

What I will do is make sure I dance with both my new in-laws at some point in the night, as they are deserving of that one-on-one time also. I'm not sure if I'll pick songs to dance with them specifically, but they will get a dance, even if it's not part of the "traditional" dances.

AwShucks
08-05-2013, 01:05 AM
In all the weddings I've been to, the bride dances with her father. I do remember one wedding where (after the Father/Daughter dance) the DJ announced that she would now dance with her new father-in-law, and the groom danced with his new mother-in-law. At some point, their significant others cut in, and the bride and groom then danced together again.

ShyHeather
08-05-2013, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the replies! Think I will let them all know before the wedding and arrange a dance lesson before the wedding (my dad is flying out from WV).

Wannabeskinny
08-05-2013, 10:28 AM
I didn't do any of those, I danced with everyone without spotlighting it. I feel it's contrived "here comes the father/daughter dance!" and it doesn't feel or look authentic to me. Why does it have to be a singled out event? Why can't you just dance with everyone and not make it a big deal? I don't know, that's just me I guess.

pnkrckpixikat
08-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Honestly it is your wedding so do whatever feels right to you and your DH-to-be. We cut out the father daughter dance and the Mother son dance because my father isn't in my life and his mother has passed, if his mother hadn't passed I likely would have danced with my grandfather and kept both as my grandfather is the closest thing to a father I have had.

I did end up dancing with both my grandfather and my uncle who has also been a sorta father substitute over the years, we just did not spotlight it in the same way as we would have if it was orchestrated.