30-Somethings - Soda Addiction

View Full Version : Soda Addiction

katy929
08-03-2013, 02:10 AM
I know this sounds really dumb but, I have a really bad Pepsi addiction. Last year I lost around 40 pounds by working out and not drinking soda. I met my boyfriend and lost my job and I somehow reverted back to soda lol. My boyfriend and I are both heavy.

I do not know if anyone else has had a soda addiction. To me it sounds so silly to say that. I feel like I need a soda support group lol. I have tried to stop again and I end up getting horrible migranes to the point that I can not do anything.

I just wanted to know if anyone out there has been through this or has any suggestions that might help with the migranes and suggestions on quitting. I feel like I dont have as much will to quit this time but, I know I need to quit. Especially for overall health reasons.

Thanks for listening! :)

Candeka
08-03-2013, 02:14 AM
Do you work a normal monday-friday job, or any job where you have 2 days off in a row? If so, I would suggest you NOT buy any come Thursday evening or friday morning, and then not buy anymore. This way you two days to deal with the cravings/migraines and just lay in bed with a bottle of advil and water. If it is not in your house, you can't drink it.

katy929
08-03-2013, 02:46 AM
Currently, I am still laid off from my job. However, I do not have any in the house now. So, I think what I am going to do is just not buy any more lol and maybe just fill a big jug up with ice cold water in the fridge or something. I think laying in bed with asprin is probably going to be my best bet for the next couple of day lol

thanks for the advice

ataraxia3
08-03-2013, 03:04 AM
i'm having the same issue with Pepsi!!!! I did sooo well a few months back around march/april I was drinking strictly water and now I've slipped back into my Pepsi addiction. im always craving it and wanting it and I know I need to stop because it's really getting in the way of my weight loss :( UGH!why does it have to exist!!!

kaplods
08-03-2013, 03:23 AM
Caffeine withdrawal symptoms can be quite unpleasant for a week or more, so you may want to taper off rather than go cold turkey.

Sugar withdrawal (in my opinion) is even worse.

I spent a year without caffeine and several months without artificial sweeteners. When fatigue from my fibromyalgia became bothersome, my doctor suggested resuming caffeine in small doses. Since I hate coffee and am not too fond of tea, I asked about diet soda and artificial sweetener. He said since I'd been off them for a while, I would probably notice any ill effects immediately.

I didn't so I started using diet soda and crystal light again.

I was drinking way too much though, and have decided to give them up again (or at least drastically reduce consumption) and have been gradually tapering off both caffeine and artificial sweeteners.

Last time, I quit cold-turkey and it was miserable.

If you're not worried about artificial sweeteners or caffeine (or the expense) you could substitute Diet Pepsi. If you don't like the taste, you can buy both regular Pepsi and diet and add a splash of diet Pepsi. Next time, mix more diet and less regular. You can wean off caffeine at the same time by using caffeine free diet cola.

Personally, I miss the bite of carbonation most, and may never be willing to go completely without it. I've even considered buying one of those sodastream carbonation machines.

As to whether you want or need to get off caffeine, you may want to discuss that with your doctor. Coffee and tea have more caffeine than soda, but the caffeine comes with antioxidants that may even have health benefits in moderate doses (soda not so much).

Caffeine can be a beneficial medication for pain and even asthma. I was formerly on three prescription asthma medications and (long story) I've been able to get off all three after learning my asthma was being triggered by nsaids for arthritis.

I was able to get off four prescription meds and now, when I do have an asthma flare, the attacks are mild enough to treat with caffeine, which is much safer than the prescription meds.

One of the main reasons I'm trying to taper off caffeine is because like many drugs, it loses effectiveness over time, and you need higher and higher doses to get the same effects. By tapering off of daily, non-medicinal use of caffeine, the medicinal use of caffeine will be more effective (and I won't have to use as much).

It's hard to give up caffeine, carbonation, sugar, and artificial sweeteners all at once, even with tapering, so I know what you mean about feeling like you need a support group.

ILoveVegetables
08-03-2013, 07:45 AM
You're certainly not alone when it comes to soda addiction. Throughout the past two years, hardly a day passed by that I didn't have at least a bottle (600ml) of soda, sometimes two.

About a month ago I finally (after several attempts) decided to seriously cut soda from my life. At first I tried to cut it out completely, but failed miserably because of cravings, but now I've just imposed a limit of maximum 3 sodas per month. It's working so far, and whenever I feel like I really need it, I force half a liter of water down my throat until I feel full and it finally passes.

I think it's going well so far. It's difficult to give up the habit, but not impossible at all. Good luck :)

Pyrrhic
08-03-2013, 08:01 AM
I have a bad soda addiction too, as does my hubby. I've decided to give it up but the problem is that hubby won't. So there are a couple of cases of Pepsi in the fridge so I just have to have willpower every time I open the fridge and not have some!

I'm used to having about 6 cans of Pepsi a day. For a couple of days I had 1 can, then yesterday I had half a can. Now I'm going cold turkey. I'm getting cravings and headaches from not having any, which scares me as it shows me how addicted I am and also how unhealthy it is! I gave up cigarettes earlier this year and kicking this caffeine addiction so far is harder for me.

Right now I'm swapping Pepsi for iced green tea or hot black tea (both unsweetened) so I'm getting some caffeine but not as much and at least it's healthier.

kaplods
08-03-2013, 08:21 AM
Ounce for ounce tea generally has more caffeine than soda, which is one of the reasons, when my doctor suggested using caffeine medicinally, that I chose to return to diet soda rather than pick up a new habit that would only increase my caffeine dose.

Thousandsunny
08-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Caffeine withdrawal symptoms can be quite unpleasant for a week or more, so you may want to taper off rather than go cold turkey.

I agree 100% with tapering off. I drank so much regular Coke I was certain it was part of my blood chemistry. When I finally cut it out I switched to Diet coke (and choked down the stuff until I could stand the taste (now I kinda like it...) by putting lemons and limes in it, sometimes oranges) and then starting weening off diet soda. I would have 4 a day, then 3 a day, then 2, and so on, same with coffee. I am still a caffeine addict, sadly, but I am working on it. I have 2 coffees a day, trying to cut to none but as people have said, the withdrawal is terrible at times.

Best of luck, though, you can do it! I wish they made a soda that really tastes like regular though. Coke Zero, Pepsi Max... all lies! hehe

kaplods
08-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Best of luck, though, you can do it! I wish they made a soda that really tastes like regular though. Coke Zero, Pepsi Max... all lies! hehe

If you drink diet only sodas long enough, regular tastes kind of gross - thick and oversweet like cough syrup, and it leaves you thirstier than before you took a drink.

Diet Mountain Dew Code Red was my kryptonite. I can't drink the stuff in moderation, so if I buy it, I only buy one 16-20 ounce bottle.

I believe that caffeine and artificial sweeteners can be beneficial in moderation (if only for sanity preservation) while dieting.

Moderation is a very difficult skill to master though. It's often easier to binge or ban (or alternate bingeing and banning) than to moderate.

That's been my problem with caffeine, and artificial sweeteners in general and diet soda specifically. I have an even bigger problem with sugar (but that's a different story).

I don't think withdrawal symptoms prove how unhealthy or even necessarily how addictive a substance is. I studied addiction in getting my master's degree in psychological and physical AND dependency is complicated. You can experience unpleasant physical withdrawal symptoms when giving up healthy and even necessary substances (and behaviors).

I remember professors even arguing that romantic separation (breakups, deaths...) caused unpleasant psychological, emotional, and physiological withdrawal symptoms due to loss of love-provoked chemicals in the body including hormones, neurotransmitters like seratonin and dopamine, and endorphins.

Depression likewise can be essentially be viewed as a system of withdrawal symptoms.

There are quite healthy foods that can cause unpleasant withdrawal symptoms if eaten to excess for a long period of time. It doesn't make the food unhealthy in itself.

"The dose makes the poison," as toxicologists say. Even water is poison in high enough consumption.

Chocolate, sugar, carbohydrates, alcohol, and perhaps even caffeine can be benign or even beneficial in small doses ... all can cause damage in excess and withdrawal when stopped cold turkey.

Determining the benign or beneficial dose is the challenge.

katy929
08-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Thanks so much for responding...I thought maybe I was the only one with a soda problem lol. I did manage to do pretty good yesterday. I had half a can of Pepsi at dinner. I was very proud of myself lol. I have not had any yet today though. I have not needed any asprin yet but, I have it on stand by hahah.

I have a tendency to drink soda all day and eat when I am not hungry. I am also a sweet adddict late at night. So, I am trying to change that. I am hoping by cutting out soda, late night chocolate and reducing the amount that I eat that I will start losing again.

I think what happened was I had gotten some pizza and I got a 2 liter and in 3 hours the 2 liter of Pepsi was gone and I just stared at the empty bottle like oh my gosh I can not believe I just drank that whole thing lol. At that point, I think I was saying to myself "' Ok you have an issue here" haha

Missys Mom
08-05-2013, 11:28 PM
Lucky for me I have never really had an addiction to soda/pop and I have found that you don't have to give it up completely.....I have always loved club soda or sparkling water and I find that it is a great substitute and you can always add in a splash of fruit juice or a slice of lemon, lime, orange or grapefruit and its yummy.

ataraxia3
08-06-2013, 06:23 PM
I just came across this today and its a good reminder for me to look at whenever i'm having a soda craving..
http://bitsandpieces.us/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/imagesa-sip-of-soda_thumb.jpg

Radiojane
08-06-2013, 06:53 PM
I had to cut out the pop before I cut out anything else, because I knew that the combined withdrawal would be ridiculous. Pop was a huge problem for me. But when the withdrawal clears, you feel amazing. I've been a year now with maybe one can of coke every six weeks if that.

Good luck!

katy929
08-09-2013, 12:42 AM
Well, it has been 4 days since I have had soda. The migranes have not been too bad. They seem to be going away now. It has been tough. But, I decided Saturdays will be my day to have 1 can of soda to spoil myself.

It has been really hard but, I think it is worth it.

katy929
08-09-2013, 12:43 AM
I just came across this today and its a good reminder for me to look at whenever i'm having a soda craving..
http://bitsandpieces.us/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/imagesa-sip-of-soda_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much for that! I never knew some of those things that it has listed about soda and it is really good to know!!

Radiojane
08-09-2013, 02:56 AM
4 days is a great start! Congrats!

amfay11
08-10-2013, 08:35 PM
I've been off soda for awhile, i did have a can last night for me and hubs date night, but now i've got a headache and want one! Instead of caving in i pulled out my kettlebell and did some intervals

it helped a lot!

Good luck OP, it will get easier as time passes

jaimie1980
08-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Mountain dew is my vice. I have stopped drinking it, and started again, and now I have one every once in a while. I get massive headaches for a day or two and then they subside. I don't know why I put myself through it over and over! Wish water tasted better, lol.

GermanShepherdGirl
08-11-2013, 04:39 AM
Definitely not alone in your soft drink/ soda addiction!. If I couldn't get my hands on soft drink I'd drink juice, flavoured milk or coffee/ hot chocolate. Water would be the last (boring) choice.

Coke was my soft drink of choice. I went off all cola based soft drinks last October (though I did allow coke to be used as a mixer on the rare times I have alcohol). However, I went from coke and cola drinks to other soft drinks like Lemonade or Passiona/ Fruita. When I started my weight loss this year I gave up soft drinks however 2 months ago I started buying the Diet brand lemonade drinks and have drunk far too much of them. I am going to attempt to give them up again, and allow maybe 1 in a while ie on my birthday. I will have a diet soft drink as a special treat if I go out with a friend rather then a syrup laden coffee. I think I will mostly try and not buy the drinks when I'm at grocery store or I'll not take money with me so I am not tempted to stop and buy one when making my way home from the gym.

MauiKai
08-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Excerpt:

Diet Soda and Diet Drinks Make You Fat and Cause Type 2 Diabetes

Diet soda makes people fat? Really? How does that happen?

If losing weight were all about the calories, then consuming diet drinks would seem like a good idea. That's certainly what Coca-Cola wants us to believe in their new ad highlighting their efforts to fight obesity. They proudly promote the fact that they have 180 low- or no-calorie drinks and that they cut sugared drinks in schools by 90 percent.

Is that a good thing? In fact, it may be worse than having us all drink regular Coke (and the other food giants making diet drinks also push the same propaganda).

A new 14-year study of 66,118 women (supported by many other previous studies) found that the opposite seems to be true. Diet drinks may be worse than sugar-sweetened drinks, which are worse than fruit juices (but only fresh-squeezed fruit juices).

The study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, discovered some frightening facts that should make us all swear off diet drinks and products.

Diet sodas raised the risk of diabetes more than sugar-sweetened sodas!
Women who drank one 12-ounce diet soda had a 33 percent increased risk of Type 2 diabetes, and women who drank one 20-ounce soda had a 66 percent increased risk.
Women who drank diet sodas drank twice as much as those who drank sugar-sweetened sodas because artificial sweeteners are more addictive and are hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar.
The average diet soda drinker consumes three diet drinks a day.

You might say that people who are overweight and just about to get diabetes drink more diet soda, but they scientifically controlled for body weight. And they found the artificial sweeteners increased diabetes independent of body weight!

This and other research shows how diet sodas make people fat and sick.

And that diet drinks may be even worse than regular sugar-sweetened sodas! How does that happen?

Artificial sweeteners are hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar, activating our genetically-programmed preference for sweet taste more than any other substance.
They trick your metabolism into thinking sugar is on its way. This causes your body to pump out insulin, the fat storage hormone, which lays down more belly fat.
It also confuses and slows your metabolism down, so you burn fewer calories every day.
It makes you hungrier and crave even more sugar and starchy carbs like bread and pasta.
In animal studies, the rats that consumed artificial sweeteners ate more, their metabolism slowed, and they put on 14 percent more body fat in just two weeks -- even eating fewer calories.
In population studies, there was a 200 percent increased risk of obesity in diet soda drinkers.

I love Taylor Swift. I met her last summer. She is a wonderful person with great integrity. I don't think she knows about this research, and I hope someone shares it with her so she can save millions of children and fans from drinking Diet Coke because she endorses it.

Bottom line: There is no free ride. Diet drinks are not good substitutes for sugar-sweetened drinks. They increase cravings, weight gain, and Type 2 diabetes. And they are addictive.

Sassy_Chick
08-14-2013, 03:50 PM
I gave up soda months ago. I used to drink Mt. Dew, one of the worst. I now occasionally drink a new find that my FIL found: A & W Ten. Only 10 Calories. I still limit myself with that, I mostly try to drink water. I have lost 20 lbs, not sure if that is just giving up the soda, but I'm sure it has something to do with it. GL everybody! :hug:

Monkeysmom
08-27-2013, 11:54 AM
It doesn't sound silly at all to have a soda addiction (at least you don't have a cheese enchilada addiction, try finding a support group geared specifically for that:)) It has caffeine after all which can really grab a hold of some folks. I was hooked on Diet Coke for the longest time, and then I switched my energies to Coke Zero (because that is so much better for me, not!). I have really bad insomnia so I ditched the soda and coffee for black tea in the morning and chamomile in the evening. It has NOT been the smoothest of transitions always, but I do let myself have 1 soda per day if I'm really craving it. Most of the time I will opt for a sprinkle of crystal light in my 1.5L water bottle. I'm glad the migraines seem to be easing up.

stilettolife
09-30-2013, 06:06 PM
You're definitely not alone in the soda addiction. That was always my main problem, especially with pepsi. It was so good, but my mom kept giving me the think about the inside of your body lecture and she's right. I started sleeping better and had more energy when I stopped drinking sodas. I'll still drink a ginger ale, but only if my stomach is acting up.

Annik
09-30-2013, 07:32 PM
I drink sparkling water (ie, carbonated spring water). I add either some lemon juice or ginger juice + stevia and it's like a fancy drink.

Brands I've used:

Safeway Refreshe ( 5 - 2 litre bottles for $4.00)
San Pellegrino - $1.89 for a one litre bottle
Gerolsteiner - $2.59 for a bottle that is a little bigger than 1 litre

The latter two are nice to have in restaurants when others are drinking wine.

Yummy.

The San Pellegrino and the Gerolsteiner are noted for their health benefits: bonus = mineral content.

staja
10-01-2013, 11:14 AM
I've actually just started trying to phase out sodas -- I've had a pretty mean Diet Dr. P addiction for the past few years...I have never been able to drink regular soda with sugar/HFCS due to some sensitivity.

I've started by switching from full test to caffeine-free sodas, Diet Coke, Sprite Zero, and lots of diet root beer. Then I've slowed down actual consumption. Yesterday, I got a 32oz with lunch -- even with the cup mostly full of ice, it was almost too much soda for me! I try not to have more than 20 oz a day, with most days coming in significantly under.

I've also switched from going through 2-3 Crystal Light packets a day to using 1 packet to take the edge off my 3 x 32 oz bottles of water I drink (at least M-F).

Not completely weaned off soft drinks, but way better (and spending way less money) than it used to be!

destiny3
10-05-2013, 11:50 AM
I totally understand about the pop addiction! One thing I have found to help a lot is drinking Perrier (or any other sparkling water - no sugar/artificial sweeteners). Maybe it's the carbonation, but it seems to fill in where I would used to crave pop. I buy it in bulk at Costco and so far it seems to be working.

Another thing that I have less often is club soda with orange juice (pure 100% no added sugar). You get the sweetness of the juice, but none of the sugar from the pop.

Jacqui_D
10-13-2013, 09:26 PM
I am addicted to Diet Dr. Pepper, but I refused to admit it until the last time I tried to lose weight. Always when I've tried to quit, I've gotten 4 days of bad migraines. Still, that wasn't enough to convince me. It was when I finally realized that 6 months is the longest I can go without it. Every single time, I have never lasted past 6 months. This time, I didn't even try. I wasn't mentally prepared to face the migraines, and as long as it doesn't affect my weight loss, I'm not giving it up this time. I don't smoke, drink, do drugs, or even drink coffee, but I do have an addiction to Diet Dr. Pepper.

Edited to add: Oops! I didn't mean to crash the 30-Somethings Forum. I just saw this under new posts.

Mama Whitty
10-13-2013, 10:30 PM
I had a serious diet coke addiction for many years. Then something finally clicked for me in Feb of 2013, I think I just was tired of feeling like yucky. So it's been about 9 months and I could never go back to it. The artificial sweetners really just scared the crap out of me. I still have one to two regular cokes a day. I need to cut that out next. Luckily for me I love ice tea.

Elisette
10-18-2013, 07:50 AM
I have drastically reduced my soda intake - I keep none of it the house and have probably a soda a day at work. At first, I really craved FLAVOR in what I was drinkning (I do drink coffee, so caffeine wasn't my issue) so I got those mio flavored additives for water. Helped make water more attractive. Now I'm not using those either, water tastes fine again. Water really really helps with weight loss, too!

VioletDolphin83
10-23-2013, 04:50 AM
I've been on and off addicted to diet soda for years. Since find out how unhealthy it is I've quit again and this time hopefully for good. I quit cold turkey, which is unpleasant but I've never had any luck quitting it any other way. I find the taste and the fizz more addictive than the caffeine!