40-Somethings - Forty Something Labor Day Challenge

Zumbachica
08-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Okay Chicks..it is time for another challenge. Lets make the most out of the rest of summer!!!! State your goals..this is a short challenge but sometimes that is the fire under our feet that we need!!!! Lets do this!!!

Zumbachica
08-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Arrighty....my goal is to get to the weight of 135 and STAY there by the end of this challenge..How do I intend on getting there?

MORE WATER
LOWER CARB
FIVE DAYS OF ZUMBA and walking, DVDs, biking....

Get a healthier attitude about food, no more binging..no more turning to food for comfort......

guacamole
08-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Hello, Slacker here! :)

I will join the challenge. My goal is to get my blood pressure to stabilize at a healthy number. Also, to cut down on sugar and caffeine. That's it for now!

I know I won't be able to fully commit until probably, October, to vigorous and regular exercise. Yep. Not until kids are in school and holidays are over. However, I can control my eating. That's major. I need to do this!

newleaf123
08-02-2013, 04:04 PM
I'm in! My goals are to maintain my loss and strive to lose more. So, I will be:

a) satisfied at 154
b) happy at 151 (today's weight)
c) thrilled at 148 (new low)
d) ecstatic at 147 or below

I will do this through healthy food, watching portions, and exercise (cardio & weights). We do have a vacation in there for 5 days, but we've rented a townhouse and will be doing a lot of walking so hopefully that's a break-even.

So... Labor Day is one month from today. Time to get cracking!

Off to a good start. Made a spread today out of greek yogurt, fennel, cucumber, garlic, jalapeno, lemon juice, and olive oil. It will go great on some vegan whole grain (somewhat tasteless) crackers DS and I made earlier this week in our pizzelle iron. Will have that and lentil sloppy joes over brown rice for dinner. Maybe a glass of white wine. Lifted weights this morning; hoping to do a 5+ mile walk with DH tonight. Ugh, I guess the glass of wine will have to wait.

TooWicky
08-02-2013, 04:20 PM
I'd like to join!

My biggest fail area is exercise. I've actually only formally exercised ONCE since I started dieting ><

I'd like to use this challenge to establish a much needed exercise routine. My goal is to get on the recumbent bike at least 3 times a week, for 4 weeks straight, even if it's just for a few minutes.

Hope to see more of us participate :) Good luck everyone :cheer2:

Zumbachica
08-02-2013, 04:35 PM
Thrilled to see you all here....especially YOU Guac!

jigglefree
08-02-2013, 06:57 PM
I'm in!! Just what I need on my first day back!!!

My Goals:

1 - Stay away from the scale!:D:D
2 - Loose 2 inches in my waist. :):)
3 - Drink at least 1.5 liters of water a day.
4 - Stay in my calorie range of 1800-2000/day
5 - Workout at least 20 minutes a day.

Magicsusan
08-03-2013, 02:02 AM
Heidi! Lentil sloppy joes? Does that recipe need any special stuff to make it yummy? Can I have it :D

My goal is to keep doing what I'm doing:

-Eating sensibly, both what and how much; lots of fruit and veg, whole grains, etc.
-Weight lifting/workout at least 4 days a week in the morning
-Walkies at least 4 evenings a week

The idea here is to keep everything sustainable. I still eat the occaisional piece of chocolate, reasonably healthy pizza every Friday- in other words, I don't feel deprived. Additional goals that are new to this challenge:

-eat more protein. I haven't had meat for twentysomeodd years, but with all the exerciseing, I have been doing, I'm looking for some ways to increase my protein.
-Now, the fun part. I've bought a piggy bank* that is covered with a finish like a blackboard so you can write on it. I'm planning to somehow use it to motivate/save money for a shopping spree when I hit goal. Just trying to figure out exactly how... I could put in 10 franks per kilo or something...

Our summers may be short, but otoh, my kids go back to school after next week :D

*I've named him Hogblack Desiato, if that means anything to anyone.

Sum38
08-03-2013, 08:43 AM
WooHoo a new challenge. Thanks Zumba!

I am recouping a bit and only setting exercise and eating healthy goals. If I get those two under control, scale usually follows. I am very disappointed with the number scale shows now. I am thinking about ditching my scale, and only doing a weigh in on Fridays. I am such a slave of that scale.

So goals as follows
-- Walk 5 x week
-- Lift 3 x week
-- Swim 1-2 x week
-- Eat 1200-1500 cal per day
-- Make healthy meal plans for each day and stick to it
-- IE, eat only when hungry
-- One splurge day per week

Good luck everyone and here is some :dust: to all.

newleaf123
08-03-2013, 09:10 AM
magicSusan, here is the recipe. No, nothing special in it, or at least, nothing that you couldn't work around.

http://www.forksoverknives.com/sloppy-lentil-joes/

You mentioned protein; do you eat fish? Because these were leftovers in the freezer from when I made them in June. When it looked like there wasn't enough, I stir fried up some shrimp, then added the sloppy joe, and mixed in brown rice. It was great that way!

jigglefree
08-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Just getting up to get my day started. I've decided to get breakfast in and then my workout before we start our Saturday ritual of running errands of all sorts.

love2b150
08-03-2013, 11:34 AM
jiggle oh my goodness, I haven't seen you in a long while. I like seeing the people that I started with (met when I started) on here. How are you? Do you still keep in touch with Lori? Good to see you :) I just quoted you in my signature again :)

I'd like to join again if I may ... I dropped out of the last challenge because I kept going back and forth then something clicked and I'm finally in the 180's but it's only been 4 days so this weekend will prove to me that I can actually do what I am supposed to do.

for this challenge I would like to ...
~~ continue to eat OP
~~ drink more water ) I've been slacking off
~~ continue low carb to help with my blood sugar
~~ get my weight under 185
~~ get into the 170's if possible (which will require movement)

best of luck to everyone :)

Zumbachica
08-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Hi everybody....went to visits friend convalescing from surgery.....I was hungry...big mistake! I wound up eating two chocolate chip cookies she had out...bigger mistake.....having protein shake for dinner..going out tonight and just having one glass of wine...

jigglefree
08-03-2013, 10:49 PM
Had a pretty awesome day. I ended the day with all my goals accomplished. Makes me happy To have a full day on plan under my belt.

Zumbachica
08-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Had way too many calories thanks to me needing Wendy's in the middle of the night....was out with friends but was starving for something while driving home at midnight.....I'm mad at myself. Manhattan today, out to brunch wupith a friend..atleast I'll be walking a lot...

soon2beskinnyCarma
08-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Hey Guys jumping in on this challenge too. Realistically should be able to see 205 by labor day. Dreaming about seeing 199.9.

Going to go with my LOSE formula and tweak it a little.

L: Lose 1.5lbs a week. Liquid water intake 100oz a day.
O: Ohm, going to try to get meditation down 15 minutes a day. But will plan on Yoga daily at least 15 minutes/day.
S: Lift 3days a week for 30minutes a day. Strength train every day with Plank/squats/Lunges. Not committing to any number;)
E: Eat 1700 calories or less. Not eat any of my exercise calories. Only one splurge day a week because lets face it we all need a splurge day. Exercise will be the above strength and yoga training plus walk 75 minutes a day. Divided up. On good days I hope to do 90 minutes.

Good luck everybody. :dust:

Zumbachica
08-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Eeeeeekkk! Just got on the scale! Sad what just one day can do! Can't drink too much water today since I'll be on the train and then in the city......NEED TO GET RID OF YESTERDAY'S GLUTTONY !!!!!!!!!

Sum38
08-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Have fun in the city, Zumba!! Yes, one of these days, we will be skinny and shop till we drop in NYC! BTW, what did you get from WHBM? I stopped there yesterday but I did not get anything :eek: I have started shopping their stuff on line, and I hit the sales pretty hard. They just had an online extra 30% off on their sales items and I went nuts :) All size 6 tho, so I can not wear them yet (if ever at this rate :crazy:)

Well, I have lost 1 pound since August 1st; it is a start. I can not believe that I keep gaining and losing these same 5 pounds (Wonder if they go and leave from the same spots :D).

Nice to see everyone here, and welcome our new friends!!!

LindaWW
08-04-2013, 11:11 AM
I'm joining this challenge too! All my summer guests are finally gone, and I'm getting back on track, starting today. I was as low as 146 at the beginning of the stream of guests that came to visit, making my loss an official 50 pounds. Sadly, after weeks of company and eating out and not getting my exercise in, I am back up to 152 :( My goal is to get back to 146 and stay there! I'll try to be around more, and post more instead of just lurking too!

jigglefree
08-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Good Morning Ladies!!
I am so very thankful for this challenge. I found myself feeling accountable to you all while choosing my foods yesterday. It was great to have a feeling of accountability. I actually tracked everything that passed my lips...even the 5 calories for the green tea with no sweetener!!

I have a NSV even for the first day!! Usually I think I want chips and cookies I get them and eat them...ALL!! Well yesterday I was at the grocery store and that very strong urge to get some junk food arose I didn't respond to it. Which was HUGE for me. Because it would get to a place that I couldn't function unless I responded to it. That made me feel really good when I woke up and realized that I didn't and don't have to fall victim to it just because it came up.

newleaf123
08-04-2013, 02:04 PM
Jiggle, there have been trips to the store where I have literally repeated the mantra in my head, "I will not be buying cookies today, I will not be buying cookies today, etc". Congratulations on your NSV!

We went to the ballpark yesterday and watched the Pirates win, so that was fun. But, a trip to the ballpark is never good on the calories, at least for me. So, not a great eating day, and I was 156 this AM! I haven't seen that number in FOREVER. So, back to work today. On my way to the basement now to lift weights. Planning a 5+ mile walk with DH later today. We do a pretty good clip of 15-minute miles in our very hilly neighborhood, so that's a good workout.

Have a great day, everyone!

newleaf123
08-04-2013, 03:15 PM
jiggleFree, glad you had such a great day yesterday!

Sum38
08-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Heidi Isn't it sad how fast that scale goes up, but how slowly it comes down? -- Glad you had fun at the ballpark.

Jiggle I used to have mantra for wine like Heidi. -- Now it is not an issue anymore. You can go cookie free!!

TooWicky Exercise feels sooo good! I like your goal.

LindaWW Nice to see you again!! Those pounds are just bloat...you will see the 140's in no time.

Carma I will be rooting for ya. Onderland here we come!

Love So glad to have you as part of this challenge!!

Susan I like your approach: "keep everything sustainable".... you will rock this!

Guac Nice to see you again. Getting BP under control sounds like a fab plan! Mine was sky high and it only took a few pounds and some dietary adjustments to bring back to normal.

:wave: to everyone else I missed!

Zumbachica
08-05-2013, 12:35 AM
Oh my GOSH....today was such a bad day food wise....I'm afraid to get on scale tmrw....I have PMS also....bloated and icky!

Sum I bought a tunic top online....from the store I bought a black cross over tunic, a regular plain black top, a cream colored skirt that has gold beading, jeans and a pair of black cargo capris...size 8....jeans were ten....most all of it was on sale..had coupon...

newleaf123
08-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Working towards getting back to my "satisfied" weight. 155 this AM. Did 40 min of weights yesterday and went for 5-mile walk. Today I'm planning careful eating, a 10-minute "blast" workout (2 cycles through 5 strength stations, 40 seconds work followed by 20 seconds rest at each station), and possibly 30 min of cardio later in the day if I can swing it.

newleaf123
08-05-2013, 11:33 AM
My 10-min blast was good -- more strenuous than I thought! I learned that I can't do regular pushups for 40 seconds solid; I had to move to girlie. And I learned that I can't do 2 40-second sets of burpees; I had to move to jumping jacks towards the end of the 2nd set. So... that's good. There's room for improvement.

What I've found is that the only way I'm successful with anything other than cardio is if I have a routine planned out in advance, which I can then continue improving against. Otherwise I'm spending time figuring out what to do and not maintaining any consistency. So this was good! I can try to work up to 45 seconds on, 15 seconds off for the month of August.

Zumbachica
08-05-2013, 02:27 PM
It is the most beautiful day I've ever seen..not a cloud in the sky and a beautiful breeze. Now THIS is summer! Way too nice to go back to the gym, I refuse to go. Plan on spending time at home with my boys and maybe we will have dinner at the beach......I was in a toning class this morning, gave it my all....

Sum38
08-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Doing well what comes to my eating, and scale is heading down. Yay! I have an hour break between tasks I have to do, otherwise I have a jammed packed day and no time for formal exercise. Therefore I am having a lower calorie day; 1200 cal.

Zumba Wearing a taupe cargo skirt with a red top from WHBM :)

soon2beskinnyCarma
08-05-2013, 05:46 PM
:carrot:on the scale Sum!

Zumba: I need to check out this white horse black market you guys keep speaking of. Hoping to buy 1 nice pair of 16's to inspire me. Do their clothes run true to size or do they run large? Or do they even come in size 16? The weather on the east coast was gorgeous today. Hoping to get another walk in which will bring the total up to 70 minutes today. :)

Heidi: Good for you on the weights. :carrot:

Jiggle: Glad we are inspiring you. And good job avoiding the cookies. I thought of you when I saw some delish looking Pepperidge farm cookies at Target. I just rolled on by. :hug:

Love & Guac: welcome back. :hug:

Too Wicky: :welcome2:

Magic: Let me know how those lentils are. I might try it as my first forks over knives recipe. I really did find that video incredible. :)

I bought lower 8lb weights finally. I need those for bicep & tricep. I use 10lbs for everything else. I did not meditate or do yoga yesterday or any strength moves. :( Must do some today. Need to get dinner ready. Think I will chop up the stuff for taco's and then lift some weights. I think we won't be eating until 6:30 realistically.
My daughter just got some books in from Ebay and is actually voluntarily reorganizing the bookcase. Will wonders never cease?

jigglefree
08-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Hey ladies I'm back with another successful day under my belt!!! I went to dinner last night and ate light but it was delish. Stayed in my calories and drank my water. I got a little walking in for my workout but not much.

Today has been really busy. I homeschool my daughter and we are done by noon. Had to hit the streets getting ready for a trip Thursday and my bday is tomorrow. I don't do much in the way of labor on my birthday...It's my personal national holiday. I plan to be on point all week even on my birthday. I've had enough slacking to last lots of birthdays. Being that it's early in my journey I may as well stick to the plan and not fall so quickly.

Have an awesome evening lovelies!!

kelijpa
08-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Hi all, I'm back not sure of a challenge goal yet, but wanted to check in, getting ready to do my exercises, so more later after I catch up!

Best to all :sunny:

Magicsusan
08-06-2013, 01:18 AM
Hey, happy birthday, Jiggle! I think it's wise to stick to plan; you can treat yourself in other ways than food, plus, one of the best treats is to do something kind for your body that will make you feel good inside and out for days, instead of calorically ecstatic for half an hour and then regretful for the next 48.

Sum, I'm certainly trying. I tell myself, it's a life, not a diet. I'm at the age where many start to have problems with joints, blood pressure etc., and I don't want that!

Carma, I'm not sure I can make the chili; I may try anyway, but alas, a lot of ingredients (grilled tomatoes in a jar!) that are commonplace in the US are not readily available around here!

Heidi, no I don't eat fish. I saw some really nice recipes on that site, but many of them call for things I can't get here. I'm used to adapting, though :)

Someone was asking about my chalkboard piggy bank, but I can't find it now! Whoever it was, I bought it here in Switzerland, but I'm sure if you google it, you'll find one. I've decided to put in 10 bucks for every pound I lose. When I hit goal, I will go clothes shopping! ETA: I just googled them; they seem to be available at Target? and probably loads of other places...

Hang in there, everyone. Our heat wave is about to break. It will be nice not to have to restrict outdoor activities to before 9am and after 8pm :D

soon2beskinnyCarma
08-06-2013, 06:16 AM
Thamks for the chalkboard tip susan.
Feeling empowered this morning. Down to 209.0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Meditated 11 minutes. Weightlifted 30 minutes last night and did a total of 80 minutes walking. :)

Sum38
08-06-2013, 08:36 AM
Morning :sunny:

Yesterday was an insanely busy day for me, and I did not have time to sit down and overeat therefore my scale was kind to me, even tho I had a HUGE Mexican dinner with all the trimmings. So I feel renewed with my weightloss. -- I guess we go in cycles what comes to weightloss...sometimes we are on and then off. July was definitely an off month for me. I felt blah about the whole thing and I did not have the stamina for it. Those overly hot days really did a number on me and my motivation. Now that it is cool (feels like fall), I feel renewed and energized. -- I am sad though that August is turning out to be so cold. It felt like we barely had any summer. I don't miss the 100F+ days but nice 82F day would feel heavenly.

Plan for today
Meals
Bfast - Fruit smoothie
Snack - Apple w/pb
Lunch - Salad with grilled chicken
Snack - Carrots w/ranch
Dinner - Salmon, potatoes, corn and avocado/tomato/onion/cucumber salad

Exercise
120 minutes minimum
Walk 4.8 miles (75 min)
Weights (45 min)
Evening walk? (60 min)

kelijpa
08-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Happy birthday Jiggle!!

I'm thankful for the cool weather, although I am a bit concerned about the affects of cool nights on my tomatoes...

Had some cucumbers from the garden and crunchy granola bar for lunch, oatfit oatmeal with almond milk for breakfast.

My goal for this challenge is to stick with my 12 week program, I'm on week 4 (repeating 4 because of music festival we went to last week/weekend!)

I need to have structure to keep me exercising, too, I made a little checklist for the week so I can just check boxes and make sure I get in what I'm supposed to.

Sum38
08-06-2013, 01:35 PM
:hb::bday2you: Jiggle :bday2you::hb:

Zumbachica
08-06-2013, 07:24 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIGGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zumbachica
08-06-2013, 07:30 PM
Hi all! Wow, my scale is up again...PMS bloat is not helping! I kept calories on the down low today......hope that helps, I'd be apply to see a little drop tmrw....one week until Zumba convention, the heat is on!

soon2beskinnyCarma
08-06-2013, 09:11 PM
:bday2you: jiggle.

Well got meditation and yoga done today but off on walking. Only 30 minutes. Hopefully tomorrow I get all 4 done. Have been having 500 plus calorie deficit with exercise/ remaining food. Water has been good. I bought an infuser water bottle at 5 below. Plan on doing coconut lime tomorrow.

Night all

Zumbachica
08-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Hey chickies...well one week from today I'll be off and running to Florida and sized up by my peers so the heat is on! There is no more room for error! Going to really practice intuitive eating coupled with low carb.....I have to stay focused.......:).

Not sure when af is arriving but hopefully soon to relieve this bloat! I have to get ready for class...then I'm taking a friend to lunch for her bday..I already looked at the menu and I know what I'm ordering.....have to stick to that plan!

newleaf123
08-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Happy birthday, jiggleFree! I hope you had a great day!

So, I've got the "healthy food" down. I've got the "exercise" down, but I still struggle with portion control! I bought a fabulous cantaloupe at the farm yesterday, cut it in half, and ate one "side". I left the other side wrapped up on the counter and told DH that the cantaloupe was delicious and he should have some. What did he do? Took a sliver off the half and ate it. What did I do? Ate the remainder of that half after he left, and quickly so I wouldn't have to share it with DS :o

Later, I skipped dinner and did a 4-mile strenuous walk. At 8:30 I was hungry so I had 3 bowls :o of homemade fennel dip, which was AWESOME! Totally healthy, made with 0% Greek yogurt, fennel, garlic, and cucumber. Sure, my weight was still down today, but imagine if I stopped at 1 bowl??

Can anyone relate?

kelijpa
08-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Absolutely, Heidi, can't begin to count how many times I've said to myself, imagine if you didn't eat that much. Sometimes I feel like I have a tapeworm or something, there's no feeling full...

I could easily eat the same portions as DH, of course if I eat what he eats I'm going to gain, I try to look at serving sizes on food labels. And when that doesn't work I just accept and move on and resolve to keep trying.

I think this is what's behind my stall lately, can't call it a plateau because I'm not totally on program. I try not to look to long at the fact that I'd be at my goal by now if I stayed OP.

Anyway, you're not alone :sunny:

soon2beskinnyCarma
08-07-2013, 05:01 PM
I hear you Heidi :yes:. Today at the end of work I was really hungry. We eat at 11 so 2pm I had some granola. Then debated on a Luna bar. Said no to that. Went shopping. Some cheddar bacon goldfish got thrown into the cart. I bought some pluots. Driving home. Ate two pluots and then started in on the bacon goldfish. Which were amazing. I ate 3/4 of a serving which is 105 calories. If I had had the Luna bar it would have carried me further and had more fiber and protein. I know will be changing my half burger into a half a turkey burger with supper so I can still have corn and broccoli and squash. Hopefully I am still under calories. I should have time for a 45 minute walk then weightlifting and some yoga. Just hope the sodium doesn't do me in. Ugh.
Zumba: your going to do great at the conference.

jigglefree
08-08-2013, 06:10 AM
Good morning everyone. Thanks for the birthday wishes. I've been busy, busy, busy. I homeschool my daughter as well as I've been preparing for a Women's Conference I'm speaking at in Oklahoma this weekend. I'm excited and in expectation. I have been getting my workouts in with my daughter when we do "freestyle ballet" dancing. No we are not trained in ballet we are just winging it. It's fun and it's really a good workout. Been eating pretty good. It was my plan to take measurements on Saturdays but this week will not happen until next week. I should be happy when I measure myself.

newleaf123
08-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Feeling heavy and bloated today. Rounded up more clothes for Goodwill last night. Found out that I fit into some shorts that the last time I tried on were too tight. I guess it's the weight lifting since the number on the scale is pretty stable.

Have great days, everyone!

Zumbachica
08-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Hey all......I'm so determined to get as much weight off as possible before my trip! Not sure why I'm feeling so bloated since its a week or more before period Is due.........my boobs are killing me! Keeping low on the carbs today and getting as much water down as I can without busting like a dam......Zumba today and housework to burn calories....

jigglefree
08-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Having a good day so far. I'm getting my daily water in and it's helping me and I don't feel the need to snack as much. I gotta get a workout in today because I'm feeling sluggish. Guess I can do a kettlebell workout so I can start working on these upper arms!!!

beth4365
08-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Hello all,

I'm late, hope it's okay to join?

I am always afraid to set goals.

But, I'm going to try anyway.

I have been losing, but a couple of times I've just about given up.

So... goal number 1.... is just to still be trying to lose on Labor Day.
Goal number 2 - to work to add water my life. I truly struggle getting water down but I know it helps with weightloss. I don't like Crystal Light, but will get some Mio.
Goal number 3 - to really try to take care of myself "spiritually"....

Okay. I'm timidly posting this. I hope I don't let myself down.

Best wishes to everyone.

newleaf123
08-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Beth - welcome to the group!! Of course you can join!!

I think that the goal of just still being at it come Labor Day is an awesome one. All we can do is keep chipping away, even when things don't feel like they are going right. We can always start anew with the next choice. I hope you're still chipping away it come Labor Day. Post here. The accountability really helps. Don't be timid :)

kelijpa
08-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Welcome Beth

Not sure what's going on with me, but working through it. Seems like as soon as I made sticking to my program my goal all I wanted to do was anything other than my program.

Last night I was exercising 'til 9:30 but got it in, yesterday was my long day, strength and functional exercises, if I didn't do it I wouldn't have been able to fit in what I needed for the week. Took off Tuesday for DH's birthday, no regrets, I get a day off, just don't usually take it during the week.

Hope I don't sound whiny, I really don't mean to be and don't want to sound that way. I'm thrilled I got back on track and actually feel changes in my abs, it's wild and wonderful. They're not really abs yet, but I feel progress. I just can't understand that little self destructive part of me, I feel so much better, why wouldn't I want to keep feeling better?!

Anyway, I've often said this is the epic battle between Fit Girl and Fat Girl, I'm rooting for Fit Girl, I don't know if I have it in me to start all over if I backslide again.

Well, thanks for listening and best to all :sunny:

kelijpa
08-08-2013, 08:22 PM
By the way Newleaf your photo is lovely!

newleaf123
08-08-2013, 09:39 PM
kelijpa, I understand completely. I'm the same way. I'm not hungry. I'm not emotional. And yet I cruise the cabinets?? What's wrong with me? Thank you for the compliment on my picture. I hope it's not too self-aggrandizing that I change it so often. It's a reminder to me of how far I've come, every time I see it and every time I change it. I feel like when I stop taking pictures, it's because I've started putting on weight. So when I take and change the picture, it's a reminder to me. As in,

<------ SEE?? SEE?? You want to stay this way!! You didn't look like this a year ago!! You don't want to go back!!

I took that photo this morning. It's like it's proof to me, that I'm still where I want to be, and don't go wrecking it!! I guess I'm a visual person. LOL It's all such a head game, isn't it?

Zumbachica
08-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Total low carb today.....had a lovely day...spent time with friend at her cancer treatment...then we went shopping...more incentive to lose weight! Looking forward to the scale tomorrow...

newleaf123
08-08-2013, 09:56 PM
So glad you had a good day, zumba :hug:

kelijpa
08-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Glad you had a good day Z!

Newleaf-I have the same kind of thing with the scale, I'm afraid not to weigh in because every time I didn't weigh every day I started to gain, we have to find and keep doing what works for us, right?!

Doing my exercises now, determined today hopefully got past the latest hump and will continue on down...hanging around 165 instead of 169 so taking that as progress in the right direction!

newleaf123
08-09-2013, 10:43 AM
kelijpa I'm the same way with the scale. Every significant regain has started, in retrospect, with that feeling of disgust and decision not to weigh myself. No matter what, I weigh every single day.

Sum38
08-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Hi Ladies,

Nothing "good" to report. Have been eating like a pig; can not get myself back on track :(

I just can not get my mojo back. It surfaces for a day or two and then it goes away. Any tips?

Zumbachica
08-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Sum I'm going to write to you and others later..I need to run out and do some grocery shopping......I'm one more lb down today..thought it would be more but who knowsvwhat was in the salad dressing I had yesterday at TGIF

Magicsusan
08-09-2013, 12:43 PM
I'm so sorry, Sum, and I know what you mean about the determination coming and going. I wish I could tell you what's different this time. I think it's a bit of what someone once said about the difference between motivation and commitment. I've had lapses- like the entire month of May...
But-
What's working I think, is that for me this isn't a diet. This time, it's not something I'm going to do for a month, 6 months or a year and then declare finish! It's a more active, healthier life, because I really, really, really hated my life and I'm not getting any younger. I think I mentioned somewhere else that I took several years off from even attempting a diet and spent that time reading about eating, compulsive eating, the anti-diet movement and also taking a loooooong hard look at what makes me eat in an unhealthy manner and why. I don't think I would be as successful as I am at this now if I hadn't done that.

beth4365
08-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Hello all,

Thank you for welcoming me.

Heidi, I just went to your profile and saw your photos for the very first time. Thank you so much for sharing them and your enthusiasm here. I feel inspired by your words and re-committed after seeing your photos.

Sometimes I feel weight loss is simply impossible. I have achieved so many things in my life, but I have never succeeded with making to my ideal weight. Seeing your photos is a reminder that "impossible" is a lie.

Anyway, didn't mean to ramble... I just wanted to thank you...

To everyone else here, thanks to you for sharing your encouraging stories, struggles and successes.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Beth

Zumbachica
08-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Hello everyone, i'm finally on a regular puter and not my ipad so I can type a lengthy post.....

SUM I feel your pain, I truly do. Many might say we aren't big girls and we shouldn't sit there and act all depressed, but we know we aren't where we want to be. Maybe it is a mental thing, I don't know..I don't have the answers. all I know is that i'm going through some of the hardest years of my life, and not being able to control my weight and my health on top of it is just so depressing. It has been a year since I gained the weight and have gotten out of shape..a whole year I've been trying....that's pretty sad and pathetic..i'm tired of feeling tired and pathetic..yet here we are ..trying. Sum you have accomplished so much, so you're having a little set back..get back on track......

BETH, its easy to feel something is impossible, isn't it? but it truly isn't...there are others here that have done it....I dont' have the answers as to why it does or doesn't work with some people.....its a struggle....but you can fall into that percentage does loses weight and keeps it off.....I've seen it done....

Well as for me I leave for convention in a few days and Lo and behold I haven'[ reached my goal of going down there slimmer...I took out three Bebe dresses with tags still attached and don't want to pack them, because I know I won't look good in them or feel comfortable in them. My goal is to rock out those dresses...maybe Christmas time....???

cleaned all day today...praying that I don't have a big gain on the scale tomorrow because I ate salty food today......

soon2beskinnyCarma
08-11-2013, 08:33 AM
Sum: Sorry your feeling bad. It's not pre TOM is it? I know I am out of control then. Just get back on the horse. That's what makes losing weight a success. You realize you screw up and then get back on the horse again and pray you don't screw up again. You have come so far. What are you down like 6 clothing sizes? More? Quote of the day for you. Unknown Author
You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.:hug:

Zumba: Enjoy your conference. Some days salt is harder than others for me. I get that. :hug:

Keli: "They're not really abs yet, but I feel progress. I just can't understand that little self destructive part of me, I feel so much better, why wouldn't I want to keep feeling better?!" I totally get this. Just when I think I have the exercise thing down life gets in the way and I miss a day or 2. Then I think we psych ourselves out. I think we as a culture tries to hard to do most things and leads us to thinking about all the things we should be doing. I blame the Enjoli ads in the 80's myself. ;)

Susan: I hear you on the life change thing. You do want to improve yourself as you get older. I need to break this cycle before I go into menopause. I can never really remember ever dieting. I used to calorie count for a while after having kids but I just got big and comfortable. Now I am committed because I work with the diseases that are quickly approaching me as I am getting older. My dad had his first heart attack at 48. Fatal one at 52. I don't want that to happen to me. I want to be around to see my grand kids. :)

Heidi: :wave:

Beth: Hang in their. It's possible to lose it. I can't attest to keeping it off but I am almost 45lbs down and I feel so much better. 68 more to go. Unless I go Heidi's route and once I am at goal I keep going for the bonus pounds then it might be more like 75lbs. :hug:

As for me:
208.4 this morning on the scale. TOM is looming. Hopefully I don't get back up over 210.
I am hit or miss on my Meditation days. If I am the first one up I get it done.
Liquid I am right on target.
I have managed to get at least a half an hour of exercise daily. Weight lifting is not as strong. I got 2days in this week. Yoga only one. This is another week though. Off for my walk now. 2nd party to got to tonight. However this woman cooks a ton of food, she however is not a very good cook so I should be pretty comfortable sticking on target. Maybe I will be below 208 tomorrow on the scale. Have a good day all.
Carma

Sum38
08-11-2013, 08:59 AM
Hello :sunny:

Thank you everyone for your kind words. This ain't over yet. I am going to drag myself for the walks and keep weight lifting dates like appointments. No more excuses. I have made enough of them during the past 6 weeks.

So :cheers: to a brand new day, let's make it successful.

Today; I am going to fast until dinner, it usually helps me to cut my mindless eating cycle. I also will walk my 4.8 miles and I will lift weights for 45 min. Maybe I will even drag my hubby for an evening walk.
I will wear my fitbit, to remind me how many/little steps I am taking and I will drink my water/tea.
Those are my goals for today. Baby steps. One day at a time, right?

Tomorrow will be a good day; hopefully I will get my broken teeth fixed or atleast new veneers ordered. These things are pretty, but I keep breaking them. I look so awful right now :D -- I skipped a party because I did not want to be seen with these horrid teeth. They are so bad that they are comical :D

Sending :dust: to all!

Sum38
08-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Zumba How long is the conference? Sounds like it will be a blast.

Carma You are doing really well! Onderland will be knocking on your door before you'll know it. -- I have lost 4-6 sizes (14--->8/10), thanks for the nice reminder. It is so easy to focus on negative and not the positive. :hug:

beth Welcome! And your comment about weight loss being impossible hit really close to home. We can rock this!!

susan My hubby just said the same thing. This is my new life now. I realize that eating out will be a treat, not a norm. That chocolate in the drawer will be saved for PMS days, because we gotta admit, a girl needs a little chocolate during those horrid days :D But in all seriousness, yes this is a lifestyle, not a diet.

Heidi and Keli I have to weigh in everyday (twice :o) as well, otherwise I am on denial. This time around I have forced myself write down that horrid number on my spreadsheet, each and every day and I think it is helping me to realize how fast I could slip "oh let's ignore these pounds and have some pie" mode. Honesty with myself is hard. Heidi I love your picture!

Need to run (well off to my walk). Sorry if I missed anyone :wave:

kelijpa
08-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Carma-thanks for the encouraging words, sounds like you are doing well, I am just plugging away, slow but sure, this is what's working for me t this time, if I can kick it up at another time I will, if not I will keep doing this.

Made it through week 4, it's really working for me to have a checklist for the week, easy to see where I'm at and what I need to do to catch up if need be.

Reading some of these posts, especially per-TOM cravings and feelings, got me wondering if anyone else is taking vitamins or multivitamin. They really make a difference for me with mood swings and it seems some cravings. I've done different things over the years, such as additional calcium and magnesium prior to TOM, can be done if you're regular, for awhile I took b vitamins and extra C for allergies, for quite awhile I took a women's "ultra" from those vitamin stores, now I'm taking one called Alive women's formula, it's supposed to have fruit and veggie extracts, it seems to keep me on an even keel. i try to eat clean, but not always sure I'm getting everything my body needs. I used to take lysine for cold sore prevention as well, but the multi seems to have eliminated the need for that.

Just thought I'd share that. Not promoting vitamins, just sharing what has helped me.

kelijpa
08-11-2013, 09:44 AM
Sum- I have a calendar on my dresser, everyday I write my weight, whatever it may be, how many ounces of water, what activity I did, and what I had for supper, simplified, it has big blocks for writing in, but it's not humongous. As much as I hate writing down that number, I have been doing this off and on for about 5 years and can easily see looking back where the blanks on the calendars resulted in big gains in poundage.

Carma- I forgot to post thanks for the smile, I liked how you said the woman makes alot of food but isn't a very good cook so that should help you stay on track :rofl:

:sunny:

soon2beskinnyCarma
08-12-2013, 04:23 AM
Quick reply as going 4 my walk then work. Up 1.6 lbs. Apparently her summer cooking better than her winter cooking. Grrr. My fault. It will be off by the end of the week i know.
Keli i take a magnesium, mvi., d.,c.&zinc combo, cinnamon daily.

Zumbachica
08-12-2013, 09:11 AM
Hi all....I'm down two lbs..the same two lbs I keep gaining and losing......I'm nervous about going away I don't know why..,,anxiety?

I finally pick up my new car today.....

Sum38
08-12-2013, 12:22 PM
:woohoo: on your new wheels Zumba. -- Don't fret; you'll have a blast once you get there. Are you nervous about your weight?

-----

I met all my goals for yesterday, woot! Except I ate wayyyy too much at dinner. I was cooking for the week and I kept sampling all the goodies I was making. Scale was down measly .4 pounds, but better than a gain. Right?

Today I was able to get one of my broken veneers fixed and I don't look that bad with only one funny shaped, mini tooth :D -- The second one is being made and I will get it in two weeks.

Today's plan
Meals
bfast - none
lunch - salad with veggies, steak, sunflower seeds and feta (low cal dressing)
dinner - Salmon, rice and asparagus

Exercise
Walk 4.7 miles/13500 steps

kelijpa
08-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Got my exercises in, it was really tough to get going but i did it and feel better for it. Wish it came easier...

Zumbachica
08-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Yes sum....I know people are going to talk aboutbmynweight gain behind my back....instructors can be mean girls....but we are all about our bodies..it's understandable. I am going to hold my head up high and do what I need to do...

Zumbachica
08-13-2013, 09:00 AM
Down a little more today and I got my period, so maybe I'll lose even more bloat before tomorrow. I didn't reach my goal to get to goal by my trip tomorrow, but it is what it is. Icould beat myself up over it but know all too well that will do me no good.

SUM how did you break off your veneers to begin with? u silly girl.

KELIJ: so nice to see you girl. That is so cool how you log everything in, it truly does make a difference when you look back and see what was working when you were successful.

CARMA: I laughed when you said this woman was not a good cook but cooked a lot. Reminded me of one of my husbands aunts...she was a lovely woman, cooked up a storm...but you always left her house hungry...or we would eat before we got there....LOL

BETH welcome

Well hello to everyone else..I am off to teach class..plan my son's meals for tomorrow and then start packing........I am hoping that four days of zumba will really help me lose weight but we shall see. I usually get very bloated when I travel from the plane..I know it sounds silly but its true. :p

kelijpa
08-13-2013, 10:37 AM
Zumba- have a great trip, sounds like you have a good attitude about it. Not silly at all your comment about air travel, air travel is very dehydrating which in turn causes your body to hold onto whatever water it has, hence the bloat, drink as much water as you can and moisturize!!

newleaf123
08-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Awwwww, beth, thank you so much for your kind words! They mean a lot to me!

Sorry I've been MIA. enjoying a fun distraction, more on that in a few days. Eating is off, but walking a ton. Plan to hit the ground running again on Friday.

Thanks for the compliments on my photo. No time for personals, but sum sorry you are struggling, and zumba, I like your attitude going into the conference. Just be the best you can be. If people are catty, then so be it. There is a Japanese saying, shikata ga nai, which means there is nothing you can do, it's out of your hands. I'm sorry it's been such a rough year for you :hug:

kelijpa
08-13-2013, 08:32 PM
Got the the I mean my exercises in, still avoiding them like a little kid trying not to eat their spinach...

Happy now that I did them and managed to take my dog for a little walk, weeded a bit in my garden, called my mom, so at least I did some constructive things avoiding my exercises...yeesh

Also trying to quit playing games on the computer, not completely, but less

Watching Extreme Weight Loss, like to watch once in awhile.

jigglefree
08-14-2013, 09:45 AM
Back from the conference and back on track. I have been sleeping for two days. I had a ball. I would like to report that I stayed within my calorie limit but don't think I had my water intake each day. I also didn't get in any workouts. So today it's back to my regular scheduled programming. So far today I'm on track!!!

2FatCats
08-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Morning All,

I miss you guys! Just a quick hello and hope everyone is well!
I'm still lifting weights and maintaining. It is easier this time, and like Susan said, it's a lifestyle choice. It's what I do - now and forever more. I'm securely in a size 4, occasionally a 2. Now I only get on the scale each Monday am and at last check it was 138.2 with bf% hovering around 17-18%. Finally I truly believe what I have been saying all along - the scale doesn't matter and has no control over my emotional well-being. By staying off it I took back the last bits of power that it had over me. Freedom!!!
I finally started stripping the paint off my side porch (had to resort to chemicals to get it ALL) and it's almost done and ready for sanding, repairs and THEN painting! Unfortunately summer is almost done here - yesterday I noticed the tops on the maples are turning orange already. Yikes! Must. scrape/sand/paint. faster.
Hugs to all!

Magicsusan
08-15-2013, 01:34 AM
Hello everyone- just a query, here.

Labor day isn't really a thing, here, plus I just looked up labor day and found it's Sept. 2(!). I was thinking it was more like mid-September. I wanted to try to get my BMI out of obese category III (so I'm only really, really obese, and not really, really, really obese) by the Autumnal equinox. That's another 2.5k or so, I think. Anyway, I didn't want to start a competing thread, so I thought I'd just post here for now, and maybe this thread can mutate into an Autumnal equinox thread after labor day.

What think ye all?

beth4365
08-15-2013, 11:01 PM
Hi everyone!

Jigglefree I LOVE it! Your own personal holiday!!! Why didn't I think of that?!

Welp. Labor Day is still ahead but so far I'm still on plan.

One day at a time.

whirlybird68
08-15-2013, 11:39 PM
Hello All!
Robin here. I used to be on fat chicks every day when I attempted Ideal Protein. I couldn't stay on it due to severe migraines from low calorie intake, artificial preservatives and coloring adding to the migraine issue as well.
I have been at 170 for a few months now and am ready to get down more.
I am so tired of being stagnant and definitely am sick of the belly bulge, ugh.
I need to beef up my water drinking and start doing some type of exercise, and of course increase the fruits and veggies.
Any encouragement would be great.
Thanks
Robin

Zumbachica
08-16-2013, 12:48 AM
Hi all...I'm at conference...eating a lot..it's almost impossible to make good choices....I'm doing a ton of walking....and of course dancing. I'm not expecting a weight loss, but I hope to break even....

soon2beskinnyCarma
08-16-2013, 06:42 AM
Robin: :welcome2: I have a doctor friend who claims a 5-15-30 plan works. 5 colors of fruits and vegetables, 15 minutes of meditation and 30 minutes of exercise a day. When I follow that the ponds come off although meditation is hard for me. I also calorie count. For me, I don't want to try some fad and gain back the weight when I am at goal.

Jiggle: Glad you did well at the conference. Water is hard when your out of your element isn't it?

Susan: I am ok with autumn equinox. I will use that for my onderland goal.

Zumba, keep on dancing

2FC::hug: glad to hear your maintaining is easy and the painting is almost ready.

:wave: to everyone else.

I am almost to niagra falls. Will hopefully get lots of walking in and stay on target calorie wise. Back Sunday afternoon. Pissed I forgot some of my mom's & dad's ashes. Will have to come back for another trip

newleaf123
08-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Hi, everyone. Check-in from me. But first, so nice to see your post 2fatcats! I'm so glad to see all is well for you and that you are loving your new lifestyle! Come back and update us from time to time; its great to hear from you :)

So, the reason I was absent a few days was we went on vacation to DC. We had a great and relaxing time, with TONS of walking. According to my fitbit, we walked 45 miles in 5 days, which is pretty good with 2 kids in tow. However, the food was fabulous, I totally ate the way my boys wanted to eat, and the scale of course, is up.

But here's the thing. Is anyone familiar with inflection points in mathematics? It's where a curve takes a corner and changes direction, from a downwards slope to upwards, or vice versa. So, here's the thing -- All those years of yo-yoing have to have been good for something, right? They have taught me my inflection points. Those invisible yet tangible marks where, in retrospect, I changed course. The point at which I have said, "I can't keep doing this anymore" and have given up, have gone the wrong direction. And one of those inflection points is coming back from vacation and seeing a gain on the scale. So I know: enjoy vacation but come back home PREPARED TO HIT THE GROUND RUNNING!!

My steps to be prepared: immediately before vacation I made a run to Goodwill and dropped off any remaining piece of clothing that was too big, even slightly too big. No room for expansion. AND I came up with a plan for re-hitting the gym. I had been doing a great upper body weight routine at home. I plan to devise a similar one for lower body, which I can only do at the gym.

So... despite the weight gain (159 this AM :mad: ) I am back!

whirlybird68
08-17-2013, 01:50 AM
Hi soon2beskinnyCarma,
Thanks for the warm welcome. Niagara Falls, Wow!!!!
I love the idea of the 5-15-30 plan. It's very unique. I will ponder that for a little while, great advice.
I am focusing on drinking enough water right now. I waitress nights and if I drink too much water, I will have to use the bathroom too much. So, it's a balancing act. I can't have my tables waiting.

Sum38
08-17-2013, 08:20 AM
Hi Ladies,

Sorry that I have been MIA. Nothing really good to report, hence the silence :) More weight is creeping in, I just can not seem to be able get OP. :cry:

A friend of mine, , just had a tummy tuck done and it has make me want one. It will be interesting to see how it looks once she heels. She is bigger than I am, at least by 50 pounds more. Dr. had said she will be 20 pounds lighter once everything settles. -- I hate my tummy. All these regained pounds have gone to my tummy and boobs and nothing fits me. -- I know tummy tuck is a drastic surgery, but I am getting desperate. Am I crazy for wanting one?

Sum38
08-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Ok, I am done whining about my lack of motivation and it is time to do something.

I will have a lower calorie day(/s) today and for the next few days to work away some of this bloat. I have gained 7 pounds in 2 weeks. I know lots of it is just bloat because it is impossible, even with my eating, to have gained that much fat.

My plan for the day, and I will stick to it.

Meals
Bfast - green tea
Lunch - Avocado/tomato cucumber salad w/ Italian dressing
Dinner - Grilled chicken, potatoes, zucchini/broccoli/asparagus medley
Snacks - none

Exercise
Walk 4.7 miles
Weight Lifting for 45 min

Weight 160

So there ladies, I am done whining about it and ready to do something about it. I would be way too ashamed to come back tomorrow and tell you that I failed :D

newleaf123
08-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Back to my pre-vacation weight, thank goodness!! Seeing 162.2 on the scale Thursday afternoon was heart-breaking. Three days later, I'm back to 153. Holy smokes! Sum I'm sure it will be the same for you. :hug:

Welcome, whirlyBird!

SoonToBeSkinny welcome home today! I hope you had a great trip!

Zumba how is (was?) the conference?

Beth I hope you are still on plan and things are going well. One day at a time, indeed.

MagicSusan autumnal equinox, here we come!! I'll join you!!

jiggleFree I hope all is well :)

:wave: to everone else!

patchworkpenguin
08-18-2013, 09:44 PM
I was active here for a few years, then I dropped out, but I remember some of you from before.

I haven't watched what I eat or exercised much since then but have managed to maintain, mostly. Hubby and I have fallen into a routine of a lot of TV watching, but we have decided we need to change our ways, watch our eating and get more exercise. We bought a small RV from one of Hubby's friends who was up-grading, and are planning our first trip soon; just a short drive to a local state park for a few days. We are taking our dog, April, so we hope to be able to hike around with her for motivation.

Unfortunately, Hubby's work keeps sending him on cross country trips for a week at a time which leaves me home alone {well, with April :D}. And then I'm alone so I tend to eat to cheer myself up. {bad penguin} But I'm trying to get a grip on this habit and change my ways. I'm hoping that having a group to relate to will keep me motivated, not so focused on myself, and on track.

So late to the party but here's my list:

watch my eating {starting with portion control and better choices}
exercise
no sulking or feeling sorry for myself! :dizzy:

newleaf123
08-18-2013, 10:14 PM
Hi, pengin -- I remember you! I'm really happy that you have maintained your weight during your absence! I went absent for a couple of years and put on 50 pounds :( But it's gone now, never to return. This time is different. I'm different. Welcome back!

patchworkpenguin
08-18-2013, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the welcome back, Heidi. Congratulations on meeting your goal! I like your bonus pounds terms. I still haven't quite caught on that the end of summer is almost here. I know schools have started again, but I'm still stuck in 'summer mode'. My church has a knitting ministry and we've started 'hat and scarves' for the fall. My first clue!

As part of my return to health I just did 20 min of cardio followed by 5 or so min of lower body. I don't think I've exercised since June, so I'm sure my body will protest tomorrow!

Sum38
08-19-2013, 08:29 AM
I remember you penguin; I was a brand new chickie back then. Welcome back!

2FC :hug:!!!

--------

I stayed OP :woohoo: Well for the most part, ate a bit more than I had planned but within my calorie limit. I was not going to come back until I did it :D -- I am a bit sore from weight lifting. I hadn't done it for so long.

It is a mammogram day for me. Are you ladies remembering to get yours done yearly? -- Not looking forward to it, tho, but glad to get it out of the way.

Plan for today
Meals
bfast - green tea
lunch - Salad with grilled chicken and homegrown lettuce/tomatoes/peppers :drool:
dinner - salmon, rice, veggie
snacks - TBD

Exercise
4.7 mile walk

Weight
Down 0.4 pounds

newleaf123
08-19-2013, 08:41 AM
sum, glad to see you back! I'm sure it is a relief to feel in control again. Here's to a great day! Good luck with your mammogram.

patchworkpenguin
08-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Sum, I have to go to the OBGYN at the end of the month. I'd rather have a mammogram but that's a few months down the line. Hope its over quickly and that you get a good report.

soon2beskinnyCarma
08-19-2013, 05:53 PM
I'm back and it isn't pretty. 213.0 this morning. I think at least 2 of that is water gain as too much sodium not enough flushing. Puts me to 8lbs away from goal in 2 weeks. Next week end going to my brothers but food will be better there.

Welcome Penguin:hug:

Sum: sorry your having an issue being on point. :hug:

Heidi: great job getting back to pre vacation weight. You give me hope. :carrot:

whirlybird: Your welcome for the advice. Any bit of info helps. I hear you on the water with waitressing. :)

everyone else :wave:

Sum38
08-19-2013, 06:11 PM
Carma, you are doing great!!! I know the few pound gain just plain sucks, but overall you are doing fab! -- Life is also too short not to enjoy it a bit every now and then...like Heidi did and she is back OP and pre vaca weight :high:

Which reminds me, your vacation sounded lovely Heidi!!!

whirlybird68 :welcome3:

patchworkpenguin
08-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Tuesday ~ pretty good eating day, plus I did 30min of weights.

I'm trying to keep busy so I don't panic about the up-coming vacation {our first in years plus camping is new to us}. Today I did the household laundry, plus I agreed to knit several hats for a foster home so I managed to finish 3 over the past couple days. Hats are fun, quick and 2 of them were for 6 yr olds so they didn't take long. I need to work on the lists of things we need to find and pack. Ack!

Carma, I'm sure you can meet your goal!

Tammy147
08-19-2013, 10:29 PM
I'm also in! My goal is to loose 18 lbs by my 47th birthday 11/20!
How:
1. Stick to my protein diet plan.
2. Walk at least 30 min. a day.
3. Drink lots of water.
4. Add weight training in phase 2.

whirlybird68
08-20-2013, 01:11 AM
Hello all,
Today I ate a chicken schwarma plate with greek salad, grilled chicken and wheat pita with hummus.
For dinner I had a homeade soup with stew meat (grass fed beef) and onions and potatoes and broth, it was delicious.
I have done great adding water back to my diet, now just need to get my bladder used to it LOL!
I waitressed today, so I am burning calories, but I believe I need some weight training added.
I am thinking of visiting the YMCA this week. A new one just opened in my town and they are offering passes to visit for a few days.
Sum, how have you lost 23 pounds? What do you do?
Carma, what is your best weight loss advice? I see you have lost tons!!!

newleaf123
08-20-2013, 07:10 AM
Sum thanks for the :high: ! You will bounce back, too; I know it! You are off to a great start! Hope all went well with the mammo.

Soon2beSkinny You will bounce back, too. Just do the best you can :)

Penguin nice that you knit for others; what a gift from the heart!

Tammy nice to meet you; best of luck to you as you approach your 47th!

WhirlyBird chicken schwarma -- yum!!

Here, nothing too new. I slept TERRIBLY last night. So, it will be a dragging day, with early to bed. Which I guess is a good thing because I need to get myself on my son's highschool schedule; school starts on Monday. He will be a freshman so this is new to us; the bus comes at 6:35, so I need to be up by 5:30. :eek: :coffee: :eek:

Sum38
08-20-2013, 08:25 AM
Yikes that is early Heidi!! Our school starts at 7:30 and I thought I had it rough :D -- I used to drive the kids, because the bus came so darn early, but now they drive themselves. I still get up each morning to see them off (well DD is in college).

whirlybird68 Your soup sounds yummy. Nice daily plan! I did lose 23 pounds but I have gained some back. -- No secrets here but I ate less and moved more. Intuitive eating (with calorie counting and IF) seems to work for me. I am trying to get back OP but struggling because I eat when stressed out and boy do I seem to have a lot of stress in my life. I think it would be easier and less calories if I drank my sorrows away :D But I don't drink.

Tammy147 Welcome!! My birthday is 11/14, we could do a friendly competition who gets to her goal by her bday? :)

patchworkpenguin Congrats on having a good day! And getting all those caps done; nice!

Looking forward to hearing from Zumba about her trip!

newleaf123
08-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Sum yeah, I'm thinking about driving my son. Plus, 2 mornings a week he has a "period 0" class before school, which I think he needs to be there at 6:40 for -- yikes!! Those days I have no choice but to drive...

Moondance
08-20-2013, 11:24 AM
Happy Tuesday! :D
It's also "Happiness Happens" Month! :goodvibes

I've been gone for a few weeks, finishing up Sweeney Todd. During the run, I actually got down to 179, which thrilled me. As soon as the show was over, I became a glutton. Yesterday I was up to 184. I don't know how much is water and how much is actual fat, but I'm hoping it comes off fast. But I know things have really changed for me. Yesterday, I was tired and run down, just wanting to go home after work. And since we leave Thursday for a 2 day car ride to get DD#1 back to college, I thought, why start now, only to have to take 4 days off later this week. But I dragged myself to the gym and did 30 min on the treadmill. Before, I would have blown it off and gone home. I saw it as 3 days to work out before I have to take 4 days off. This is a real mind-shift, for which I'm happy!

Reading back a few pages, it seems like there are a few of us struggling to get back on plan, maybe looking for that motivation/incentive/inspiration to re-commit. I'm using two things...start of the school year, which is a forced schedule change anyway, and seeing fall on the horizon. I see this time of year as a hill and I'm standing at the top, looking at the track heading down. It starts with Labor Day (already have two BBQ invitations), then an anniversary celebration, a family birthday, then my birthday, Halloween, another family birthday, Thanksgiving and then the holidays. Lots of school functions thrown in, a multi-college campus tour for DD#2 in Oct., and a possible work trip. It will take dedication and a commitment to staying on-plan to get me through...especially with how slow I tend to lose.
Come on...we can do it!!! :carrot::cheer::cheer2::broc::dance:

Heidi: I can totally relate! If DD#2 were to ride the bus, it leaves at 6:35. But she has a "Zero Hour" class every day, starting at 6:45. She has to leave the house no later than 6:10 am. It's crazy! I'm proud of her for doing it every day (and this is her second year of it!). Fortunately, she drives now, so I don't have to leave at 6:10 am too.

whirlybird68: Nice to meet you. Your menu sounds yummy! Definitely try the YMCA. Find an activity/exercise you'll stick with.

Tammy147: Nice to meet you also. Great goals!

penguin: I remember you too. Welcome back! I hope your first camping experience is fun. I love camping, been doing it since I was a toddler. I have lots of meal ideas, but the biggest suggestion I have is to prepare whatever you can at home (i.e., tacos is one of our favorites. Cook the meat and cut up lettuce, tomato, etc. ahead of time. Baggies are great for storing/transporting/packing...and then you can throw away when empty.) Have fun!!

Sum38: Hey girl! Looks like you were successful staying on plan yesterday. After all, it's always "one day at a time". Build on the previous day's success. You can do it! About the tummy-tuck: (IMHO) it's not the quick-fix we want it to be. Seems drastic while you're still losing weight. Wait until you're at goal, then evaluate if a little nip and tuck would create the sculpted look you may be trying for. Now THAT's a reward!! Of course, it that's what you need to keep going, then do it. Everyone is different. Either way, we'll support you! :hug:

Carma: I know you can get right back on track. The important part is that you keep at it!

Zumba, Susan, Beth: Hi! :wave:

patchworkpenguin
08-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Moondance, thanks for the tips. That fridge is tiny, so prepare ahead is a good idea. Our stovetop is gas, which I don't know how to cook on, and the oven doesn't work well, so Hubby will be cooking the first few trips, until he teaches me the gas stove part. Since its still hot I don't think we will do much beyond heating soup for the first few trips; I think we'll stick to cereal and sandwiches.

Newleaf, I'm not a morning person either and that is too early for me. Yuck!

Tammy, welcome, glad to have you join us.

Hubby's flight lands soon, so I wanted to get a workout in before he comes home.

ETA: I did 35min of cardio.

soon2beskinnyCarma
08-20-2013, 09:58 PM
Well atleast 4 lbs of that weight was bloat. I think a little more 209.4 this morning. Ate close to my calories the last couple of days. Little bit over but totally on target with my water. Exercise is eh. Atleast a half an hour each day but I really want my 60-90 minutes back again. DD bday party tomorrow. Pizza and Cake. I am going to have to be so clean during the day.

Whirlybird: I calorie count with my fitness pal. I find it works for me because that way I can still eat whatever and don't feel cheated. I just stick within my calories. It's almost 45lbs lost again. I went up after my trip. Was 46lbs down. I also try to get the 5-15-30 plan which we discussed earlier. I mostly get the 5 and 30 and struggle with the 15. I am trying to weight train but not consistently and like to go for 2 walks a day. One half an hour for my heart and one hour long for my A@*. I also want to mix in some yoga but haven't quite gotten there yet. I also reward myself with every time I lose 10% off my weight I get a Alex and Ani bracelet. My next one is waiting for me in my desk drawer at work. When I get to no longer obese which will be 185lbs I am going to the spa for a full day of pampering.

Penguin: thank you for your faith in me. I hope you enjoy your camping trip.

Sum & Tammy: My birthday is November 30th. I am hoping to be down around 185. We can make it a 3 way contest.

Tammy: Welcome

Sum: good job being on target.

Moon: Sweeny todd must have been great. I am all for jumping on board your enthusiasm train. We can do this.

Heidi: what is this Zero hour class you speak of? Thanks for the vote of confidence the bloat is almost gone.

Zumba: where are you???????

:wave:to anyone I missed.

newleaf123
08-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Soon2bSkinny Remember how high school had class periods, like Period 1 was history, Period 2 was gym? Well... our high school has a "Period 0" which is basically a class before school even starts! It's not mandatory, but my son has to take a class he wasn't planning to, and his choices were during "Period 0", during school time (in place of an elective) or on Saturday. He chose the Period 0. I had never heard of this before this summer. Total ugggggh. I am just not a morning person. :coffee:

patchworkpenguin
08-21-2013, 12:06 AM
Carma, I hear you on the exercise. I was a confirmed couch potato until 2006 when I started to exercise, after a while my normal was 45-60 min a day. Then last year I just suddenly stopped. I'm just now trying to struggle my way back into it. I prefer weights to cardio, I just can't do more than 45min of cardio at a time without wanting to quit. I really enjoy the challenge of weights, once I get started! Its the getting started these days. Glad you are on your way back down again.

Newleaf, I've never heard of a period 0 either.

whirlybird68
08-21-2013, 12:28 AM
newleaf I totally understand how not getting enough sleep can really mess one up. I am fixing to start school in the mornings 8-11, and work nights 3-11. I will have to be up at 6 am. I really don't know how I am going to do it, I am an 8 hour sleep girl. One question though, why are you getting up for a high schooler? My 2 high schoolers (boy and girl) get themselves up and going. None of us are morning people so it's just a quick toothbrushing and out the door anyway. The last thing they want to see is mom first thing in the am.
Moondance Thanks for the pep talk, I think we all need it! Good job on going to the gym:)
Sum What is IF and OP (on point?) mean? My soup is my 17 year old daughter's favorite. Eat less and move more makes total sense. We should all get to it!
Patchwork Oh, please please trade my electric stove for your gas one! I am seriously considering spending money to get a gas line run from the road to my stove, because I prefer gas so much more.
Carma Great advice, keep up the good work!

soon2beskinnyCarma
08-21-2013, 06:00 AM
207.0 Now to see if I can keep the pounds down at my daughters bday party.

Heidi: Thanks for the period zero update. Only a few more years 'til my two are high-school age and I have a feeling the time will fly by.

Penguin: I would take cardio over weights any day as long as cardio is walking;)

newleaf123
08-21-2013, 06:23 AM
whirlyBird I can't imagine not getting up for my kids on a school day. I'm a stay-at-home Mom, and it just sort of goes with the territory. My boys (12 & 14) have functioned autonomously all summer, but on school days I like to be there for them. My boys set their alarms and get out the door by themselves, but I can't imagine sleeping in when they aren't. I just like being a presence, even if its a silent, coffee-drinking, newspaper-reading presence LOL.

Up at 6:00am today, before the alarm. Going to drink my coffee, then go for a walk at 7:00.

patchworkpenguin
08-21-2013, 09:47 AM
WhirlyBird, I keep hearing that gas stoves are much easier to control the heat and cook more evenly, so I am rather looking forward to learning. I'm just afraid I'll set something on fire. My mother is terrified of fire, which has made me very cautious. I tried to start a fire in our firepit once and gained new respect for campers and Boy Scouts. I couldn't start a fire even with a lighter, I had to go get something flammable to jumpstart the dry leaves so I could roast some marshmallows!

Carma, I have a treadmill and some of Leslie Sansone's walking DVDs as well as other cardio DVD's but regardless of what I'm doing I just get bored. I think it has to do with if the cardio has to be easy enough for me follow its not going to keep my mind occupied. I'm a bit of a klutz so my feet get tangled up a lot.

My parents are taking my to Bible study at their church and then to lunch and some shopping today. Because of my vision I can't drive so they pick me up to get me out of the house on Wed. This is the first day of Bible study which runs with the school year so I'm not sure what we will study. When I walk in the door the average age drops about 20 years. but they are very nice.

Moondance
08-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Happy Wednesday! :D
Since I won't be here, I thought I'd let you all know tomorrow is "Southern Hemisphere Hoodie Hoo Day". (that one made me giggle).

Didn't make it to the gym yesterday...just not enough time. Trying to get ready for our road trip to Michigan. We leave 6am tomorrow (which is why I won't be here for a few days...not taking the computer with me!). Making sure we have all our supplies, plus buying things for DD#1. Last year we made the mistake of waiting until we were there and then shopping for things like shampoo and toothpaste...along with the hundreds of others. Shelves were literally empty. So we bought it all here and are carting it with us. I've decided that even if I have to take personal time from work today, I'm getting to the gym!

Penguin: I think you'll like cooking on the gas. I can appreciate your fears...I have them too, since I've had electric everywhere except one college apartment. I have the same problem with cardio. I take my kindle, bump up the text size and read. It really helps pass the time. Sorry to hear about your driving restrictions. I think I'm headed down that same path, though still have a few years left. Each year my eyes get worse and worse.

NewLeaf: I'm with you...I always get up...even if its just to wish them a good day and give a kiss. These years are gone far too quickly, so every morning is precious. But Zero hour sucks! Our school has been doing it for years. It's a variety of classes they offer, including Jazz Choir (what my DD#2 is doing), AP level classes and other academics. This year, marching band starts during Zero hour and goes through Period 1. The jury's still out on that one.

Carma: You're right...the years DO fly by! Stay strong during today's birthday party. Maybe you can take a few bites, savor the flavor, then pitch it! What's an Alex and Ani bracelet?

whirlybird: Did you check out the YMCA yet?

Hi to those I've missed! :wave:

Sum38
08-21-2013, 11:21 AM
Moondance Do your kids do MB? -- I am a HUGE fan of band programs. Both of my kids did MB, DD for 4 years and DS only for one year...sniff! DD did the symphonic and cadet band as well.... aaah how I love music. We used to get all the band kids and they practiced in the basement, my house is quiet now...I miss it so much.

Moondance
08-21-2013, 11:54 AM
Sum--DD#1 was in MB (saxophone). DH was a big marcher and helped with drills at her high school. Unfortunately the band director had his head buried and wasn't successfully building the program. DD#1 dropped out her senior year. Last year there wasn't a marching band at all so the director could "regroup" and save money for new uniforms. He finally saw the light and has made some new rules and has the biggest band yet.

DD#2 is strictly vocal music. She tried percussion, but didn't stick with it. It feels like an even split with us DH and DD#1 = marching band; me and DD#2 = singers (though DD#1 has a beautiful voice too).

I can't imagine the band practicing in my basement! Kudos to you! I miss the sax in our house too.

whirlybird68
08-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Heidi You are a good mom for getting up with them. My teens prefer to just get up and jet. We have never ate breakfast even. I sometimes wish I could be a morning person, but we are all night owls here.

Patchwork Growing up in the South, gas ovens are coveted what with hurricanes and all. When the power goes out you can still cook and have some light. Also, with all the yard work that goes with living in Louisiana, we frequently have to burn leaves and branches. So dealing with fire is quite a common thing here. My good friend has a gas stove and I love cooking there.

Moondance I finally found the YMCA today, it's quite nice and gorgeous. Noone was answering the number listed for their business, so I actually had to drive over. The receptionist was clueless. Not a good start for their business seems like, but I will be visiting tomorrow to swim and work out. I am getting a one week pass.

Sum My sophomore son is in band and marching band and has played trumpet for the last 4 years. This year he switched to trombone. Band is his life! It's the only thing that really motivates him.

Today I got my parking pass and student id. I am returning to school for a 2 year RN program at the age of 45. I should have listened to my mother and went into that field in my younger days. I decided to get my first degree in computer programming and found out i pretty much dislike that field after working in telecommunications for the past 7 years. I start school on Monday so the balancing act begins soon!

soon2beskinnyCarma
08-21-2013, 10:57 PM
Whirlybird: I have been an rn for 16 yrs now. Not a day of regret. I would highly recommend getting in a 4 yr program after your @ yr. I have my associates and regret not sticking with my bachelors study. Congrats on your nee adventure.

Moondance: alex and anni are silver and bronz made in america bracelets. I was given 2 when i left my old job in stressful critical care. They gave me the ohm symbol and the lotus flower.my first reward one was path of life. My husband also gave me one for our anniversary. My next reward one is lifewater.

Totally overate. Kept my water up.

patchworkpenguin
08-22-2013, 01:03 AM
Did well with my eating until about an hour ago, when I ate a small bowl of cereal followed by another. BUT I haven't had any chocolate today. No exercise but I had fun with my parents and Then loaded more stuff into the camper. I feel like we've moved half our house in there already. Our first trip is only a few days away!

Sum38
08-22-2013, 08:27 AM
I went out to dinner last night; steak and lobster and my meal was super salty. Surprisingly my scale stayed the same, I thought I would have a huge jump. I felt like I was eating salt out of a shaker. We use a very little salt at home and it was a shock to my taste buds.

I have a possible TMI question...anyone going though menopause? -- I think mine started. I am sweating like a pig all night long and it is becoming embarrassing. I wake up all "smelly"; yuck! Any advise? I am showering right before bed and first thing in the morning and my skin is getting too dry to deal with all these showers.

newleaf123
08-22-2013, 09:19 AM
OK - pity party here. How is it that I feel fat?? I saw a friend of mine yesterday, first time all summer. We are about the same height, and I just feel so huge next to her. Still. How can this be?? How much weight do I need to lose to look and feel slim? My guess is another 20 pounds?? Uggh. Yesterday turned into a total binge day and as I analyzed and analyzed why, all I could come up with was seeing her tiny butt and thighs. This is so silly. I'm almost 50 years old! I changed my avatar to a photo from Monday. Self serving. No need to comment. And certainly no offense meant to those of us still trying to get down to a healthy weight; I realize this is more of a "feather-weights" or "maintainers" complaint, and I apologize. I just feel closest on this board, though. Those "feather-weights" all seem so young, and those "maintainers" largely intimidate me; I can't put my finger on why. I'm sure it's not them, but me.

Sum the only thing that I found helped with the night sweats was keeping a bottle of water by my bed. So when I woke up with them, I drank, and was able to fall right back to sleep. Doesn't really help the problem, though... As for salt, I use hardly any at home, too, and don't eat much packaged food. So I hear you about dinner out feeling like you've been licking the salt shaker... Chug water. That seems to be my magic cure all.

Here, we don't have marching band kids, but both of my boys are in orchestra, playing the cello. I love the music they create!

patchworkpenguin
08-22-2013, 09:53 AM
newleaf, don't be too hard on yourself. do you think you might have a distorted view of yourself? I didn't realize how bad mine was until I lined myself up in a mirror with a close friend {1 wore and 18 she wore a 8 or less} side by side I felt huge {I'm taller, too} but when I had her stand in front of me and I lined my shoulders up with hers, my silhouette didn't stick out a lot from her's {so basically I was hidden behind her}. It really opened my eyes to my true size not how huge I thought I was.

Sum, I'm having a lot of other symptoms but not night sweats yet, something to look forward too!

I forgot to mention yesterday was weighing day. I'm maintaining the 5 lbs I gained since April. :p now if they would just get lost!

I go to My church's Knitting Ministry this morning, cleaning house and other yucky stuff this afternoon, then this evening I go to Knit Night, where we meet at Panera's, have dinner and then we all knit and chat.

Zumbachica
08-22-2013, 01:26 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm back...(sorta!) I went to the convention, it was non stop dancing, partying..a lot of walking!!! I tried to make good choices but it wasn't easy...I pretty much was at the mercy of whatever they had out at the club lounge which was mostly carbs....bleh.....only went out a few nights for dinner. I'm happy to say that I didn't gain while away, stayed the same despite all that dancing.....Then lo and behold I caught this horrible flu/virus that was going around there and came home very sick. I haven't been really thinking about what I've been eating the past few days. Ordered out because the kids needed to eat but I didn't have the strength to cook, but still, I haven't been snacking. Making a big pot of chicken soup for myself right now......

Being at convention really opened my eyes to things. For one thing, instructors are really starting to look like crap. I think we are becoming more and more comfortable with being overweight or out of shape. Maybe this made me subconsciously think it was okay also. Maybe that's okay for some, but not for me. I want to look like I walk the walk. Even if I were not an instructor I would want to look better than I do now......

I have so much going on right now that isn't good...so I am not going to fool myself into thinking that I am going to make these great strides and accomplish a lot....I most probably won't...right now im focusing on keeping my head above water, taking the best care of myself that I can.....

right now i'm happy to get over this awful virus!!!

soon2beskinnyCarma
08-22-2013, 09:49 PM
So I was 207.8 this morning. Up a little from the 700 calories over. Stuck below my calories today and drank all my water. Got all my colors in but white. Walked a total of 85 minutes today. Very little weight lifting. Need to get back on the stick with that. 8lbs are getting heavy. :(
I had to have my 9yr old start journaling her food today. Her PA said that it was fine to have her do that and she wanted to see a exercise log too. She has put on 15lbs over the summer. Officially making her Obese on the BMI scale. I also forced her to do 60minutes of exercise. I feel like some sort of control mother but I don't want her to have high blood pressure and diabetes before she turns 20. I am also going to have her thyroid checked at her physical time. My son and I both have hypothyroidism. She said it was really hard remembering to journal everything. I told my husband he needed to start doing it too. He however did not to my knowledge. I need him to get on board with this. He is 6'2" and 290lbs he says. I haven't actually looked at the scale when he is on but think there may be a chance he is :nose:.

Penguin: All that knitting is awesome. Panera is great too. I love how the calories are listed on the board. Very good.

Sum: Drink lots of water. Maybe go to your health food store and see if they know of anything for menopause sweats.

Zumba: Sorry you got stomach flu. That sucks. Glad you didn't gain on your conference.

Heidi: Your photo looks great. Love the dress. I am pretty lucky with feeling okay about my body whatever size. I am doing this more for my heath. Remember that and it should help.

:wave:to anyone I missed.

newleaf123
08-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Okay, I'm over it; I've moved on. I've come to the realization that having slimmer hips really isn't going to change anything in my life other than my pant size so big woop!

Now, on the topic of the dress. It's a contender for this dinner I have to go to, where I am attending as the boss's boss's wife (ie, the big boss's wife). I'm aiming for something fun, not sober. I've never met any of these people before. The color is actually more of a navy than the black it looks in the picture. It's pretty tight by design; we'll see if I have the guts to wear it. I have a few other dresses coming on Tuesday that I ordered from Title 9, so we'll see.

Zumbachica
08-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Hi Carma, it wasn't the stomach flu..its this awful virus that includes, fatigue, sore throat, coughing and sinus headache..I'm a wreck.....feeling a bit better than I did yesterday....sorry to hear your daughter has gained weight, but the sooner she learns good habits the better? Its so hard with kids because you want them to be happy and you don't want to feel like a drill sergeant but you are really looking out for her best interest. Its so hard with thyroid issues, my whole mom's side of the family has thyroid issues so I always ask to have it checked when I go to the doc. another girl I know has had to have hers removed! How scary is that!

HEIDI..you look amazing in that dress. You know at convention I was hanging out with two skinny minnies and I felt huge compared to them...but I know that I look good in my own way...you can always compare yourself to someone that is thinner, younger, prettier, more successful..what good does it do?

Penguin, learning how to knit is on my bucket list, I bought a starter kit and everything. I tried crocheting but had no patience for it....

soon2beskinnyCarma
08-23-2013, 08:07 AM
Thanks Zumba :) glad your on the mend.
Heidi: I agree that dress looks great and sounds like what your aiming for.

Sum38
08-23-2013, 08:27 AM
Heidi Your dress is very pretty and it looks great on you.

Zumba Feel better!

newleaf123
08-23-2013, 10:36 AM
soonToBeSkinny I'm sure it's difficult to see your daughter struggling with her weight :hug: Are there any outdoor activities the 2 of you can take up together? With summer drawing to a close, I'm sure it's hard to find time... My sons and I have gone kayaking together this summer a few times, which is a little different and a lot of fun. A hike and a picnic afterwards is something I enjoyed with my boys when they were your daughter's age. Or bike riding?

patchworkpenguin
08-23-2013, 10:38 AM
Today is the first day of our long weekend! Hubby and I are taking the camper {and April} out to a local state park where we hope to had a great time doing pretty much nothing for the next few days! I am bringing a full bag of knitting however! Frankly, neither one of us can remember the last date of our last vacation, which was pretty much fine until the drive home where our car died on the side of the road.

Hopefully that won't happen this time!

Zumbachica
08-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Heidi love the dress but I think it looks rather casual for a dinner but you can definitely dress it up depending on what kind of shoes you are wearing and accessories....I respect anyone that can rock the stripes!!!

newleaf123
08-23-2013, 10:42 AM
I'm in! My goals are to maintain my loss and strive to lose more. So, I will be:

a) satisfied at 154
b) happy at 151 (today's weight)
c) thrilled at 148 (new low)
d) ecstatic at 147 or below

I will do this through healthy food, watching portions, and exercise (cardio & weights). We do have a vacation in there for 5 days, but we've rented a townhouse and will be doing a lot of walking so hopefully that's a break-even.

So... Labor Day is one month from today. Time to get cracking!

Labor Day is 10 days away, including today, so time for a quick check-in. Right now I am between satisfied and happy. I would love to be between happy and thrilled, but I think it's too tall an order. Vacation set me back more than I would have liked. I've dropped the vacation weight and was 153.1 this morning. Other than my setback the day before yesterday, food, exercise, and portions have all been good since returning from vacation, and I plan for them to stay that way for the rest of the month.

TooWicky
08-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Legit posting in this thread solely to comment on newleaf123's kickazz dress in profile pic!! That's a home run! You look fantastic.

Zumbachica
08-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Well I seem to be on the mend today with this cold/virus...thank goodness..that was so awful.....anyway I notice that my appetite decreased due to this illness and I am not complaining about that..food was the last thing on my mind. I am at the weight I was prior to going to convention. I know we only have a week and change until labor day, i'm just going to try and keep my eating on the low until then. Im still recovering so I won't be doing anything new and strenuous as far as exercise goes. Im really just looking forward to the beginning of school and divorce to be over before I can stop and regroup, and get a regular workout routine going.

Matisse
08-23-2013, 07:05 PM
My greatest hurdle is the lack of time. Buying healthy things, preparing healthy lunches and dinners, weighing ingredients and logging calories in MyFitnessPal, working out... I realize I do not have to do all this, but I am usually rushed for time and I am a gourmet.

I have health issues related to my diet (interstitial cystitis, IBS and anemia) and I have not discovered all my triggers, so it is important that I journal.

I do not know how I will ever get enough iron through diet alone, BTW. Even when I try I get around 40 % of my daily allowance.

newleaf123
08-23-2013, 09:06 PM
Matisse, I can't get enough iron through diet alone, either. When I have tracked in MFP, I come up woefully low. I take an iron supplement daily. I hear you on the lack of time. I have a lot of time available to me, to think about recipes, shop at lots of different markets, cook, and (boo) clean up after. When I sometimes muse about going back into the professional world I left 13 years ago, I get a panicky feeling of, "but how would we eat???". I envy your career; I have an advance degree from top university that I don't use; I guess everything has its trade-offs. :hug:

whirlybird68
08-24-2013, 01:30 AM
Zumba I have the same thing you had, sore throat and dry hacking cough, along with fatigue and sinus congestion. I am working every night for the next 6 days so I can't afford to lose my voice. I drank ginger green tea, gargled with warm salt water, drank Emerg-N-C, sprayed Chloraseptic and drank lots of water today. I also got prayer from my pastor!

I am very disappointed with my weight today. I weigh 170 and about 20 pounds of that is my stomach. I have this big pouch in front. I am disgusted with myself. When I get to feeling this way it only causes me to keep weight on, not take it off.
Any encouragement or suggestions would be helpful. I am moving plenty I believe, but my diet is lacking in enough fruits and veggies. I am eating once before I go to work (I waitress nights, getting home around 11 or 12) and once again when I get home, right before bed.

soon2beskinnyCarma
08-24-2013, 08:27 AM
Whirly: so you eat twice a day only? Is the before bed meal huge? If I had that schedule I would try large before work meal. Fruit and Luna bar while at work. Light low sodium bed time snack. Cereal or soup.

kelijpa
08-24-2013, 09:02 AM
Hello all, quick check in, I read everything yesterday, great posts.

Took the week off from exercises, ate pretty well, so stayed the same, not doing well with these challenges, probably won't do the next one, I seem to have some kind of self destructive thing with them. As soon as I signed on to this one I struggled with my program, psychological I know, but it's what I have to work with.

love this group so I will continue to check in from time to time, just not doing the challenges.

Zumba-sorry to hear you got sick that stinks!

I had a rough week with TOM, I think it's the beginning of "changing" it was about a week and a half later than it has been, I've always been really regular, it had started to come earlier, I was just thinking maybe this was my first not having one, then the blue moon came and so did TOM, I actually took the day off work, it knocked me down hard. Feeling human again... :)

Penguin-love your siggy, especially "An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!!"

best to all :sunny:

kelijpa
08-24-2013, 09:27 AM
holy cow, I finally managed to upload a pic of myself...what a computer non-geek I am...

whirlybird68
08-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Carma A meal that late would look like, for example last night, 2 pieces of wheat peanut butter toast. I don't have an opportunity to eat or drink while at work. Maybe I will try a Luna bar and a piece of fruit before bed instead of a meal.

newleaf123
08-24-2013, 11:37 AM
kelijpa I love your photo; you look awesome!! I'm sorry that the challenge derailed you :hug: I understand completely. But do keep checking in. I'm not sure I'll roll right into another challenge, since my challenges are pretty boring. But I do want to stick around and be in touch kwim?

Zumba, feeling better today?

whirlyBird sounds like a tough eating situation but you are doing great on your weightloss so you seem to have found a way to make it work.

Zumbachica
08-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Newleaf I'm with you..college educated but would rather be home taking care of my family.....Zumba pays very little.....I think we could still cook healthy, we would just have to spend less time on Facebook or here and get to the stres on odd hours...prepareas much as possible in advance....?

Zumbachica
08-24-2013, 12:55 PM
I am 3 lbs away from my 140 goal!!!!!

beth4365
08-24-2013, 02:15 PM
You all are so wonderful... such an inspiration to me...

Zumbachica, Congratulations! You're almost there.... newleaf.. I love that dress...

kelijpa - I know what you mean about the challenges... I often read them but rarely have joined... this time.. though.... this time... so far..... I'm still in it... and... I'm a teacher... went back to a very, very, very stressful job this week and I've lost weight.... and... I'm still in...

I'm. Still. In.

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAY AY!!!!!!!!!!

Zumbachica
08-24-2013, 04:02 PM
Yayyyyyy Beth..yeah you're still in!! It seems like most are not keen on another challenge, so I won't start another one But there is no reason why we can't still come here and chat. Unless there is still another monthly thread to chat on......

I feel like if I get to 140 the rest is cake so to speak....because I'll be in the 130s and I haven't been there since last year.......

I know it won't really be cake, but it will feel that way when I look at the numbers....

Sum38
08-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Aww no more challenges :( Well we could start a monthly accountability thread. People could challenge themselves or just post about their daily activities and chat of course :)

I definitely need some accountability in to my life. Today I have been OP and even did some swimming as exercise. I have been super lazy and things are slipping....

Zumbachica
08-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Sum it's called summer..it throws us all off....cut yourself a break...

kelijpa
08-24-2013, 10:41 PM
Thanks Heidi, that was in Wv at the Gauley river, we went to a music festival and hit a couple National Rivers while we were there. Great to be able to do hikes and such when we go somewhere!

Beth-congrats on still being in!! Stay strong!!

Did 4 miles in the woods with the little dog today, going to start back with the exercises tomorrow, we are having blts tomorrow, garden is producing red tomatoes, it's our yearly treat! Did good this weekend with some veggie meals.

Zumba- saw a Zumba infomercial today, they were talking about and showing scenes from a convention, thought of you. Looked like a great time, saw a place nearby that has classes, I remember awhile ago you suggesting going to a class rather than starting out with the DVDs, I think it would be a fun thing to do during the winter rather than the treadmill all the time.

I do like to read on my Kindle on the treadmill, also sometimes watch Hulu on the tablet, catching up on Arrested Development...

Anywho, hope eveyone's doing well, best to all :sunny:

beth4365
08-25-2013, 10:09 AM
Zumbachica, PLEASE do another challenge if you're up to it! I might make it this time soooo..... I might try another if there is one....

I do occasionally look at some of the other categories in the forum... but...THIS forum is the one I consider to be "home"... I check here every time I come to the site... even if I don't have anything valuable to share. (You ladies are ALWAYS interesting!!!)

I was so excited to come here today to change my signature AND add a cloud! WOOT!!!

I'm. Still. In.

Sum... stay with it/us chiquita.... One decision at a time...

guacamole
08-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Hello lovely ladies!

I really haven't been a part of this challenge, but I have done decently with some of my goals -

I have cut my caffeine intake down to almost nothing - woo hoo! Decaf coffee is my friend!

I have cut down on sugar - not down to nothing - but I haven't binged on candy or baked goods this month and that's major!

I went on vacation and came back 2 lbs heavier, to 162. Not happy with the number, but happy that I only gained 2 lbs while on vacation.

I have stuck to drinking water as my main beverage, with decaf coffee and tea being the exceptions.

I haven't had time to exercise at all and I have barely logged my calories. Both of these things have to change.

In other news...I am in the third round of interviews for a job with a major consulting firm. I don't know if I want the job. It is what I went to school for, but it is not where my passion lies. I want to write, but haven't been disciplined enough to make much headway on any of my projects. I want to continue to lose weight and I know that it will be harder to plan, exercise, and focus while working. I don't really know what to do, and while I haven't been offered the job yet, if I am offered the position it will be within the next few weeks.

Nice to check back in here with all of you!

soon2beskinnyCarma
08-25-2013, 09:03 PM
Hi Ladies,
Quick check in before bed. 6am shift tomorrow then working an 11-7 pm shift because they are so short I felt bad. Plus the money is always nice. Now that the kids are back in school I will probably try a weekly or bi-weekly extra shift. Ate pretty well at my brothers although there was birthday cake involved. I actually had a 1/18th slice of the birthday cake and only a 1/4 cup of gelato. My daughter actually did the same but chose to get a 1/2 cup of lower calorie ice cream. Yay she's learning to make choices that work for her. I went for a great hike this morning, walked for 50 minutes yesterday plus did some wii bowling. My daughter refused to go on the hike but is doing wii country dancing. She walked 10 minutes with me then said your walking too fast mom so, opted to do wii instead.

Zumba: Yay for being only 3lbs away from goal. :carrot:

Beth: glad your doing well. It's nice to see the clouds being added. :hug:

Sum: You will probably get back into your routine when summer ends. I would be okay with an accountability thread and check in when any issues are there. I agree with Beth this is a great group to see. I like other groups but feel closest with this one. So I would be okay with both a challenge and an accountability thread. :D

Guac: Way to go on backing off the caffeine and sugar. Must be nice to have one monkey off your back. I find myself drinking so much water not enough room for coffee except on days I am really tired. 2lbs is nothing after vacation. If I had managed to do that I would be a lot further along. My 2 mini vacations in July both came back with 5-7lbs gains. :rolleyes:

Kelli: Great job on the veggie meals. :carrot:Jealous of the BLT's. I am the only one in my family that likes tomatoes. I am going to go to see my sister in Tennessee over Columbus day weekend. Plan on spending the night in West Virginia on the way there or back. Is there a better are to go for a shorter hike under 2 miles? Anything more and my daughter will have a fit. Maybe we will hike and picnic before getting on the road. We are trying to see all 48 lower states before my son turns 18. Our rules are must spend the night in the state and buy a magnet in the shape of the state and a Christmas ornament. I might add hike in each state. We need to go back to NY for that unless I count walking around Niagara state park. Also will probably go back to NY as it is only 4hr drive to the lake area.

Heidi: Did you settle on the dress yet??:shrug:

Whirly: I think that meal time plan sounds fine and agree with Heidi, if your losing weight don't question the meal. If you want to mix it up with a Luna bar then that works. I would say I can't imagine going 8 hrs. without food but have done that before nursing. Usually ended up leaving work so hungry that I stopped and inhaled McDonalds or something else. So if you can work a long shift and not eat a big meal, more props to you and your already ahead at the nursing game;).

Hi to anyone I missed.

whirlybird68
08-26-2013, 12:35 AM
HI Carma I have actually plateaued in my weight loss. I was 194 when I started 3fatchicks. That was a few years ago when I made some major changes with the food I buy. I changed to celtic salt and raw sugar, starting buying whole grain, changed to rice milk and stopped buying most processed foods. I also have been buying grass fed beef (1/4 or 1/2 cow several times a year) and organic, free-range chicken.
I have been consistently 170 for about a year now. I am considering trying paleo for a while. Several people in my church have lost alot of weight doing it. My only problem is that I am not that big of a meat eater.
I am going to Tennnessee in December, Gatlinburg, cabin in the mountains. My daughter has wanted a mountain cabin vacation for a long time, so it's her senior family trip. I wish I could go when the leaves change colors.

Sum38
08-26-2013, 07:42 AM
I am happy to report that I have managed to stay OP now for 3 whole days :D It is a start. Unfortunately my scale still is creeping upwards. I was at the baseball fields all day and drank a ton of water; maybe my body is hanging onto it, because I have not been a very good girl what comes to my water intake.
Instead of making my daily plan promises here, I am going to start reporting how I did a day before. Anyone wants to join me?

Yesterday looked like this.

Meals
Bfast - green tea
Lunch - Subway salad (yeah...the sodium) with honey mustard dressing (1 squirt)
Dinner - Grilled ginger/honey marinated salmon (:drool:), grilled squash/black peppers/onions/tomatoes and watermelon for dessert
Snacks - 2 Swedish meatballs with marinara sauce, a few pieces of cheese
Water - 90oz

Exercise
40 minutes of swimming

Weight this AM
Up 1 lbs

Sum38
08-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Quiet Day here today.

whirlybird68 May I ask you something? How much do you pay for 1/4 or 1/2 cow. We have been talking about doing it. I keep buying all meats from Whole Foods and hamburger (grass fed) alone is $7.99 per pound.

Carma So nice to hear about your DD. -- Mine has put on a few pounds as well, and she starting to watch her diet and she actually hit the gym with me today and we made "a date" to go again on Wednesday. -- I hope you are not too tired after all your shifts! Impressive and you have a really demanding (mentally and physically) job as well.

guacamole Hi! Nice to see you here. Congrats on your goals met. I went coffee free in April and I don't even miss it any more. -- What a dilemma you have about the job. I don't envy you. -- Returning back to work has been a fear of mine and I keep postponing it and just adding more volunteer work to my life. How would the kids take it if you went back to work?

beth4365 Ya, this feels like home, doesn't it! Congrats on your new cloud!

kelijpa You vacation sounded wonderful!! -- My garden is producing millions of tomatoes as well. I am an overload. I made some pasta sauce and kids really liked it, so I will make some more and can it. Do you can/freeze any of your produce? -- Squash is starting to produce and looks like that harvest is going to be abundant as well, plus all the 50 varieties of peppers from mild to smoking hot... Feeling dizzy with all my goodies :dizzy:

Zumba I hope you saw 142 on your scale this morning!!

Okay need to go, kiddies are hungry...sorry if I missed anyone...later....

guacamole
08-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Sum - Great to see you!!! I managed to log my calories today - so far at 1420. I am done with my meals for the day, and had a few mini hershey bars that pushed my calories over the edge. Aargh!

As far as the job, I don't know how my kids would take it. As long as I was still involved and there for them, they would be ok. If the job could take place when they were in school, that would be the best. If the hours spill way over, not so good.

We shall see. Haven't heard anything back yet today.

I am in the middle of trying to gather all the supplies my kids need for school. It is a daunting task, even with my husband pitching in. They start on Wednesday, so I need to have everything completed by then. Even after school begins, there are always teachers requesting extra supplies. Ugh!

Take care, everyone!

patchworkpenguin
08-26-2013, 06:31 PM
We got back from a 4 day RV trip to Wall Doxey state park, MS. This was our first trip and we had a wonderful time. It was hot and humid, so I ate less and I can report at least 3 walks a day ranging from 20-40min. We are already planning our next trip.

Guac, great to see you here.

kelijpa, I'm glad you like my 'exercise in futility" quote. Its actually original, and is a reminder to try new things, even if I think they won't work.

Sum, I like the idea of an Accountability thread if we don't keep up the challenges. There used to be one here in the 40's but I guess it fizzled.

Magicsusan
08-27-2013, 02:12 AM
Hi everyone.
Looks like I might make my goal after all. I too (as some of you have posted) have times when I've been so good and lose nothing or even gain and times when I feel I've eaten a lot of higher fat foods but lose anyway, so I wonder if it's water. My menstrual cycle is a joke because I have a spiral, but when my girls (house full of women, here :D) get their periods I often have sympathy symptoms. Maybe it's water.

Anyhooos, hugs to everyone. I'm trying to keep in motion; off to jiggle my thighs in a constructive manner.

Sum38
08-27-2013, 08:24 AM
Morning :rain:

I had a huge whoosh of bloat yesterday. I guess staying OP works well.:dizzy: Now I just need to keep at it and work my way back down to my July weight.

My day was;

Meals
bfast - green tea
lunch - avocado/corn/tomato salad with lentil crackers and watermelon
dinner - grilled chicken with bbq sauce, grilled veggie medley
snacks - fruit shake (pear, apple, banana, beach with flax seed), handful of peanuts
water - 85 oz

Exercise
4.7 mile brisk walk
40 minutes of weight lifting

Weight this a.m.
Down 4.4 lbs

Sum38
08-27-2013, 08:40 AM
Susan :dance: congrats :dance: It is nice to have a goal met, it gives renewed energy! About period. Now that my DD was put on pill, both of our periods are regular. She was so irregular and my body was trying to mimic her cycle. I bet yours is as well.

penguin Any idea how soon you can do another trip? Did you drop any weight during your trip?

guacamole Thanks for reminding me. I need to get all supplies for my DS's last year of HS. We did the registration which was a ton of paperwork. He is so old that he may just run to Staples and get his own stuff :( One in college one finishing HS...so sad! I wish I had more kids!!!

patchworkpenguin
08-27-2013, 09:52 AM
Sum, Hubby's Bday is Sept 11 so we are planning a trip after that, to North TN this time {hopefully cooler}. Work is sending him out of town again before that but haven't finalized the days yet, sigh. We did a lot of walking, and despite drinking water almost constantly I got dehydrated Sunday night. I weighed today and lost 1 whole lb. My traditional weighing day is Wed so hopefully that day will be better. I feel like I barely ate anything and was always on the move so I expected more! so frustrating!

Susan, our bodies are so strange sometimes.

I get to go see the OBGYN today and then to the dentist tomorrow. My parents are taking me today and get to hear all about my trip. Captive audience! My Dr is the one who encouraged me to lose 70lbs a few years ago, and now I've gained most of it back I'm embarrassed to go see her. She hasn't given me a hard time about it but does mention it each time.

guacamole
08-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Gave in to the chocolate monster! Dealing with some major emotional issues today. I really need to get back on track and am starting to get motivated by the disgust I feel with my tightening waist bands! I really don't like how I look or feel right now.

Sum - I have a senior in high school this year too! My oldest little chick. The time sure flies.

patchwork - So great to see you!

It's nice to know that there is this support network here. My kids go back to school tomorrow, so I will finally have some time to unwind and post more. I have a feeling there might be some tearful posts coming. I know that my emotional eating has been edging the scale upward lately. Maybe I can nip it in the bud reading and posting here.

Take care, everyone. Dinner is bubbling on the stove!

kelijpa
08-27-2013, 09:40 PM
Hello all, finally got back to my exercises, went up a teeny bit in weight and back down on reps, I feel at this point like one set is better than none, for me twice as many of everything seemed to be taking too long, then it was very easy to take the week off.

Got some kind of bug yesterday, left work early and spent the day in bed, i slept and slept and slept. On the plus side, it was pretty much a fast day, not my usual way of fasting, I usually opt for fruit/veggies, luckily it was short term and I felt normal by the time I got up this morning.

Anyway, back to normal today and back on program, didn't do the cardio today, but a day off is allowed.

Carma-there were some nice hikes of different lengths and difficulty at New River Gorge National River if you're near that area. Years ago my mom, brother and I stopped along the Blue Ridge Parkway and just took a walk in the woods, I'll look up where we were, I think one place we stopped was an old railroad.

kelijpa
08-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Guac- good to see you, I often think of you when i think, keep plugging...

whirlybird68
08-28-2013, 12:52 AM
Sum and Guacamole, I have a senior in high school this year too!! How weird is that?
Sum- I have been paying about $600 dollars twice a year for half a cow (including the slaughter fee) very tender, wonderful beef. The ground meat doesn't give off any fat to drain! I have found a new place recently that charges $200 for 1/4 and $400 for a half. I think I will try them this time and see how their beef compares.
Sum, you are rocking this weight loss thing. Wow, your diet is amazing. I need to tighten up to be anywhere near your dedication level. Thanks for the inspiration.
I did go get some fruits and veggies today, so I will have more choices now.
Off to study and get up early for school. Gnite:)

Sum38
08-28-2013, 04:45 AM
Morning! :wave:

It is e-a-r-l-y, but I am done with sleep; it'll be a long day.

I had a fab day yesterday;
I got my other broken front tooth fixed. I felt horrible walking around looking like a pirate. But I have my smile back
<--------- :D

Today I'll have a full day at the Finnish Center where I volunteer. I hope I will have some time for lunch. I'll bring some protein bars and fruit with me as a back up...or I may end up doing a 24h fast; have not decided yet. I have not fasted this week, so it may be a good day to do it.

Scale was down a nice amount, therefore I am doing the happy dance :dance: If this downward movement continues I may end up where I started at for August. -- Think positive, stay positive!!

Have a fab day everyone!!! :grouphug:

Yesterday:
Meals
Bfast ~ Green Tea
Lunch ~ Tomato/avocado/corn salsa, plentil crackers
Dinner ~ Grilled Thai chicken, lettuce, veggies, avocado and dressing
Sancks ~ Cheese
Water 65 oz
Calories In 1380
Calories Burned 2208

Exercise
4.7 mile brisk walk

Weight this AM
Down 1.4 lbs

Sum38
08-28-2013, 06:01 AM
whirlybird68 Wow that is all? I definitely need to look in to that. I would have to buy a freezer...hmmm...thank for the info! Much appreciated.

Keli I hope that you are feeling better! :hug: -- Great job about your exercise!! It is always hard to start again. -- I am on a same boat; slipped and now I am trying to get back. Luckily for me my DD wants to work out so we make dates to go together, and I have to be a good role model and not bail out :D

Guacamole Good luck today, and tears are okay!!! I will shed some come next Tuesday (or this Thursday when DD starts college).

Penguin Good luck at your dr visits. Smart to have them both on the same day...those are prolly the two most hated appointments :D

Zumbachica
08-28-2013, 08:48 AM
Hi everyone..sorry I have been MIA. Lots of ugly divorce stuff going on...basically my husband is trying to get away with not paying me child support or maintenance..its just a big mess and I'm really afraid and losing confidence with the system.

Since I had the flu or whatever that virus is that I picked up in florida I have not had much of an appetite. I'm not paying attention so much to what I eat, I just know that im not eating much. Not a good way to be but with the divorce problems I just don't care. I'm losing weight from stress....141.6 today...so close to my goal for labor day which was 140. One of my students said that she can see I lost weight, I think it is her imagination. I certainly don't see it.....maybe i'm a bit less bloated.....

that's my story kids, I have to go to work i'll check in on your chickies later.

xoxoxoxoxo

patchworkpenguin
08-28-2013, 10:01 AM
My Dr appointment went well, other than taking forever, we got there early then they called me late. Dr didn't mention my returned weight but did take a cholesterol screening. My BP was fine, but it usually is.

I desperately want to buy new cushions for the RV, we think these are the original ones. They have new covers but still. I thought I'd found the perfect ones at a local store plus they were half off, but the 'standard' sizes they have are way off. There's one more brick and mortar store we can try before trying online. I'm rather looking forward to picking out new fabric and making new covers/curtains myself.

Chica, sorry to hear about your stress. But glad you are getting over your flu.

kelijpa
08-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Penguin-glad the dr.'s went well, waiting can be frustrating.

Sounds like fun with the rv, we had an old camper, it was fun getting new curtains and such for it, making it your own, enjoy!

Zumba-sorry to hear about all that stress, a guy just came back to work after being off for two months with manic/depressive probs. brought on by family issues, now he's moving to Buffalo in 10 months he said because his ex-wife is moving to Buffalo to be with her boyfriend and threatened to sue for full custody (they share), I feel so bad for him. Hope things are better for you and continue to get better :hug:

Sum38
08-29-2013, 05:55 AM
Happy First Day of college to my DD! :sunny:

Well my last week on this challenge, I have been executing my challenge items; better late than never, right?

I knew that my day would be off because of my volunteer work, and it ended up being a sodium feast. Calories were fine, even tho I ate handfuls of assorted junky food, but sodium from premade foods just killed me. And barely no veggies and fruits. I feel bloated and yucky. I kept drinking all night long and my scale is up a bit because of extra water and salt. This was a real good reminder that home cooked meals (from scratch) are a must whilst dieting.
I was too tired to go to the gym when I finally got the change ( I ended up napping instead... I was up so early), so it will be a gym day today.

Meals
Bfast ~ Green Tea
Lunch ~ Jambalaya
Dinner ~ Polish Kiebalska w/ cheese/tomatoes/pickles
Snacks ~ Assorted junk :no:
Water 120 oz

Calories In 1457
Calories Burned 2108

Exercise
Brisk 4.6 mile walk

Weight this a.m.
Up 0.6

patchworkpenguin
08-29-2013, 09:55 AM
Today is my fun day. This morning I go to my church for our Knitting Ministry meeting. Basically, we sit around and knit. I'm doing our devotional, then our fearless leader tells us what's going on, our current needs, and anything that's happened in the church. Did I mention all the knitting? We are currently making hats/scarves for a local foster home, we have a list of names, ages, and preferred colors we got to pick from. I think we are finished with the hats. {I prefer hats to scarves}.

Later, this evening I go to Knit Night {yes, I know both in the same day, not my idea!}, we are a small online group that meets at a local Panera to chat, eat and knit!

Dentist gave us both good reports. And we think we found a store that will cut cushions to order 'for a reasonable price' {says the store clerk driving a Porche} I'm not sure what she thinks is reasonable? Hubby is going to call the store today and ask about new cushions for the RV.

newleaf123
08-29-2013, 11:18 AM
Hi, everyone. I'm trying to focus on the challenge and just get myself back to "satisfied". 156.2 today, and I can feel my clothes fitting differently, so it's real, I think. I want to get back to 149... Much happier there...

Got a new haircut yesterday. Well, I've had it before, but have gone back to it. Maybe I'll take a phot later today. I'm feeling really tired, and am embarrassed to admit, I locked the door and went back to bed for 2 hours after my you ger son left this morning. I still don't feel wide awake, over an hour later. I ope it's just adjusting to the new hours, and I hope my poor boys are adjusting ok!

Sum38
08-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Heidi!! I wondered where you went. I love your pictures, so please take a pic of your new cut. -- I think I am starting to prepare myself, mentally, getting up early; for the past two mornings I have been up at the crack of dawn (but I did take an afternoon nap yesterday...shhh :sssh:)

Penguin Glad to hear that your Dr. appointments went well. Have fun decorating the RV.

:wave: to Keli

Zumba Just sending millions of hugs to you. This too shall pass. :hug: -- Congrats on getting your weight down, a little victory there!

----------

I decided to fast till dinner; I feel so bloated from that salt... I am sipping green tea and water all day long to curb the hunger and hoping to flush out some of this sodium.

newleaf123
08-29-2013, 11:54 AM
Okay, new avatar with new haircut. Got the cut yesterday, not today; corrected my previous post!

I wish I could get more light on my face for the photo, but I like how the light from behind looks, so I'm sticking with it. The photos are always brighter on my iPad... if only I knew how to photoshop LOL But that would take too much time...

kelijpa
08-29-2013, 01:12 PM
Heidi- that cut is flattering, you look great.
I got mine cut, too, lots off the back, really needed it.

Hi Sum! Like you I'm back at it this last week, feeling it, but it's good!more later, best to all :sunny:

patchworkpenguin
08-29-2013, 10:13 PM
Heidi, I like the background of your avatar. Is it leaded glass? I like how it makes a frame for your face.

I let my hair grow down to past my shoulder blades and it started driving me nuts so I've been cutting two inches off at a time until it gets to a point I like, I think two more inches and I'll be happy, but I'm going to wait til next week to 'live' with it like this for a while.

newleaf123
08-30-2013, 06:15 AM
Yes, leaded glass for the background. It's the front door. Thanks for the compliments, everyone!

Back to 153 today. This "maintenance" mode sure doesn't feel any different from "weight loss" mode. It's no wonder I have always ended up yo-yo-ing! Working so hard for a different outcome this time...

Sum38
08-30-2013, 07:21 AM
Great haircut Heidi. -- Lat time I lost weight, I could not do the maintenance (obviously, duh...lol). I "like" dieting because it has structure and maintenance does not feel as structured, at least not for me...maintenance scares me, so I totally understand where you are coming from and how hard it is.

Sum38
08-30-2013, 07:33 AM
I did fast all day, and it felt great. But I got myself in trouble at night. I had bought a (big) packet of smoked salmon and I ate the whole darn thing with cream cheese and crackers as an evening snack. Needless to say I went over my allotted calories and all that sodium, ugh! Today I will drink a ton of water and flush this junk away.

Meals for yesterday
Bfast - Green Tea
Lunch - Green Tea
Dinner - 1/2 lb hamburger, lettuce, tomatoes, GF bun, homefries and assorted veggie medley
Sancks - Nuts, fruit shake with Greek yogurt and flax, smoked salmon with cream cheese and crackers, a few glasses of apple juice (empty calories :nono:)
Water 120 oz
Calories in 1750
Calories Burned 1947

Exercise
45 minutes of weight lifting

Weight this AM
Up 0.4 pounds

patchworkpenguin
08-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Today is my official 'sleep late' day, but now that I'm up I have to give April her 'Spa Day" {a good brushing, clip claws, brush teeth or whatever} in preparation for cleaning house. Not the fun part of today, but its Friday!

love2b150
08-30-2013, 12:25 PM
Hello Everyone :wave:

I have managed to get back into the 180's after a tummy ache yesterday. This morning weighing in at 188.4 after being in the low 190's or at 190 for awhile. Labor day is Monday and I don't think I will see 185 by then but I sure will give it a try. We don't have any plans for the weekend so I should be able to eat on point for the next two days.

Heidi love the new avatar :)

Penguin it's been awhile good to see you :)

Have a great weekend Everyone :hug:

kelijpa
08-30-2013, 10:12 PM
Hi Love!

Had a good day today, except the ice cream...but overall a good day, lots of yard work and working in the garden. Nice to be able to do all that and not feel wiped out and sore.

So, my latest thing, started c25k yesterday, loved it, haven't really jogged in awhile, didn't realize I missed it. Should be able to stick with it, as long as I have my phone and sneakers no excuse!

Hope all are doing well and enjoying the holiday weekend!!

patchworkpenguin
08-31-2013, 10:25 AM
Hubby and I are meeting my parents at a local BBQ place, then driving out to their house where Mom and I will catch up, and Dad and Hubby will work on Dad's 66 Mustang rebuild. Which depending on how things go, he may get to drive for the first time today!

Hey, Rennie, Yes, I'm back! :dizzy:

Kelijpa, I'm glad to hear you found something you enjoy.

kelijpa
08-31-2013, 09:12 PM
Sounds like a nice time Penguin!

patchworkpenguin
08-31-2013, 10:59 PM
I got the results of my blood work back. Everything is working normally. My cholesterol is excellent {especially since it wasn't fasting and I'd had fried shrimp for lunch.} While my iron was good my red blood cells were low. Prescription? Eat more red meat. I'm not kidding. I haven't had red meat in a long time, I always opt for chicken so I enjoyed a burger tonight, with sweet potato fries.

Sum38
09-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Who ever invented Holiday weekends.... yikes...too much food and I can not say "no". I haven't even bothered of logging.

So what's the plan after today? Should we just start a chat thread?

I failed this challenge, quite miserably. I did get ahold of myself towards the end of the challenge (minus Labor day weekend), but overall I did get a failing grade.

I feel like that I can focus better now that kids are back to school. DH is home for the week, so I will have a gym buddy/motivator.

newleaf123
09-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Awesome news on the blood work, patchworkPenguin!

Sum, I largely failed, too. 154.4 this AM, which puts me at the top of my satisfied range. I was 151.x when the challenge started. I think I'm going to do my own little mini 2-week challenge in my ticker, again with a range of pounds. Other than that, I'm all up for chat. It seems like many of us have lost steam this challenge. I do look forward to check-ins from people that have rocked it! TooWicky by any chance?? You've been doing great!

love2b150
09-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Hi keli :wave: I tried C25K on the treadmill it was really hard to do that way. I hope to give it a shot again in the near future :)

Penguin did your Dad get to drive the Mustang? Glad things are well with your blood work. :)

Sum and Heidi I think you do great ... I know it's easy for me to say because I would so love to be where you are and I do believe I would be satisfied. However I know that in order to get where you are I must truly work hard and that I haven't begun to do.

I got up to a weigh in of 187.8 this morning which shocked me since TOM arrived after not showing up last month at all and I was quite snacky yesterday. I hope tomorrow shows a lower number as the lowest I was last month was on 8/4 at 187.4 so I hope to see a new low this month :) and then keep it going. How about a Halloween Challenge or a blank blank pound challenge? I know I don't check in here with you all that often but I do like to read your post when I can catch up :)

Hope Everyone has a great remainder of the day :hug:

kelijpa
09-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Managed to get day two in on c25k.

Played around with my lumen trails app and managed to make a checklist, so am going to put my exercises in there and track that way.

soon2beskinnyCarma
09-01-2013, 10:24 PM
Was 205.6 then had lake compounce day. Ate pretty well but up on the scale because drinking wasn't the best. 206.4 was today's weight. Went to a party. My water intake awesome. Home made French fries not so good. Think I will be a maintain for tomorrow but may be okay. Not going anywhere tomorrow so I think I should see 205 one or 2 days late.
Keli: Love your quote.

Sum38
09-02-2013, 06:51 AM
Happy Labor Day!

I had the perfect OP day yesterday, I wish every day was like it, but need to celebrate the success. One day at a time.

Any plans for you ladies for today? We have no official plans. I definitely want to get my walk and weight lifting session in (ya...such a party animal I am :D) and then maybe go on the lake and just chill out. I am grateful that we are not going anywhere with food. I have eaten enough this weekend already.

I gained apprx 4-5 pounds in August. I am hoping that September will be a better (and healthier month) for me. -- I am challenging myself to exercise and eat well and drop 6 pounds; 4 that I gained and 2 extra. I know it is a hefty goal, but I can do it. I started the month off with bloat, so the first few pounds should just drop off. 1.6 pounds lost; 4.4 to go. What are your goals for the month of September?

Yesterday

Meals
Bfast - Green Tea
Lunch - Apple with peanut butter, cheese
Dinner - Marinated grilled chicken breast, rice, grilled veggie medley
Snacks - Nuts and strawberries

Exercise
4.7 mile walk
60 minutes of swimming

Weight this a.m.
Down 1.6 pounds

newleaf123
09-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Ugh, we went to Rib Fest yesterday, and while I enjoyed the food, it did not agree with me AT ALL. So the good news, I suppose, is that I was at 154.0 this AM - meaning I met my goal of being "satisfied" with my weight for this challenge. But I have been up for a couple of hours and just don't feel good.

My goal for September is to maintain my weight loss and maybe tack on a couple of extra pounds lost. I would love to end the month at 150 or even 149, but I'm not stressing about it. Just trying to eat well and exercise.

For Friday the 13th, I want to be 153 at the most. So I guess, following that philosophy, for the end of the month I want to be 152 at the most.

patchworkpenguin
09-02-2013, 10:19 AM
For once we have plans. Hubby only has to work a half day today, so I'll get to spend more time with him before he leaves tomorrow. We've been invited to a friend's BBQ this evening so that will be fun!

I'm excited that I'm down another .5lb. I haven't seen Mr Scale do anything but go up for a long time so down is exciting!

Are we going to start a new challenge or new chat thread for September?

Sum38
09-02-2013, 12:40 PM
I'll start a new chat thread for us.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings/287077-40-somethings-september-chat.html#post4830647

Zumbachica
09-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Hi all....sorry I haven't been around....I did ok on this challenge...got close to my 140 goal. Will check out the new thread....

beth4365
09-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry that it's so late and past Labor Day.... but... I am still working hard at losing. I can't say that the scale has moved down much, but it is going in the right direction instead of the wrong way. And, so, officially... I completed this challenge. I think it's the first time I've ever committed to one and actually been able to finish it.

I'll check out the other challenges/talks, but it's the busiest and most stressful time of year for me. I am determined to keep moving down... even if I only lose one ounce per week.

Thank you ladies for keeping me motivated and accountable!

Best wishes for all of us.