Exercise! - Do you work out because...

View Full Version : Do you work out because...

iixi
08-02-2013, 01:22 AM
You enjoy it or to change your body?

I enjoy lifting, sometimes of course I feel lazy and have to drag my *** to the gym or my resting between sets seem to drag out. But at least I went. I do like strength training.

I HATE cardio oh my god. So I don't do it. Though I'm going to add a 30 minute session on days I take a break from lifting to help me lose a bit of extra gloop. That or yoga which I thought I liked until I did it today and found out that my hinges are so rusty I can barely stretch!

amandie
08-02-2013, 01:46 AM
Definitely to change my body, although I first did it because I thought it'd help me lose more. The only exercise I enjoy is swimming. I'd love to find an aqua strength training class of some sort but not sure if that's even feasible or a good idea?

Daki
08-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Originally I was hoping to out exercise a terrible diet (LOL). Then I did it to change my body. Now I enjoy it.

Before and after my runs I'm pumped. During, I feel like I'm gunna die but that's okay because I know I'll feel pumped again soon. With lifting I love it all around.

TheLauren
08-02-2013, 03:51 PM
I exercise to keep me from getting depressed. Depression then leads to lots of bingeing and overeating. I exercise because I know it helps me lose weight. I exercise because I want to get in shape. So exercising fills a lot of places in my life.

I love going to the zumba classes, but weights and other cardio are not nearly as fun for me.

Shrinkmeplease
08-02-2013, 04:37 PM
I exercise to gain muscle. I personally love the look of sculpted arms and defined calves. I really enjoy weight training, and Having to increase the weights as I gain more strength. I HATE cardio. I'm hoping with IP and then weights I can get that chiseled look I want :)

Kscott
08-02-2013, 04:40 PM
I love to work-out because I feel so much better physically and mentally. There is such a thing as "runner's high"--(not that I am much of a runner)--I Jazzercise 4 to 5 times a week. And I work out as hard as I can and come out very sweaty-after the aerobic session along with my arms feeling like rubber bands because of the weight program in the class--and it all just makes me feel great. The ultimate endorphin rush.

memememe76
08-02-2013, 06:15 PM
To be perfectly honest, if I didn't have to exercise, I wouldn't. So, ultimately it is about weight control. However, I can only exercise consistently if I enjoy the activity. So, things like running, cardio kickbox, step are fun. I do not enjoy lifting. I really have to will myself to do that.

jigglefree
08-02-2013, 07:13 PM
I exercise because it makes me feel great. I have to alternate it frequently or my body will adjust to it and it will not have an impact. So starting this weekend I will be starting 30 Day Shred over again. After I've gone through all three levels, I'll switch to P90X, then a kettlebell workout and hopefully I will build back up to running two miles again... I fell off the wagon for a year so I'm starting over doing what I know works for my body.

lbsgobyebye
08-02-2013, 07:33 PM
I dislike weight training and only do it to change my body. That burning feeling I get after so many reps feels really uncomfortable to me.

However, I love cardio. The more tired I get, the better. I love the rush I get, and it always makes me feel much better emotionally.

I also love to stretch, particularly when I'm sore, because it feels great.

Zima
08-02-2013, 08:16 PM
OMG, Daki! I did/do the same thing! I would work out so vigorously for at least an hour a day and then proceed to eat about 5,000 calories per day. It was working for awhile, but it has caught up to me :(

Now, I work out to lose weight and shape my body. Also, like others have said, if I don't workout, I get depressed.

I LOVE rollerskating/rollerblading and I enjoy bike riding. I also enjoy this full body sculpt class that I attend once a week. I HATE my boot camp class that I also attend once a week. I hate it while I'm doing it, but I love it after. Like others have said, those endorphin's kick in and I just want to come back for more!

I cannot run for the life of me. I absolutely hate it, so I don't do it. Rollerskating/rollerblading are my preferred forms of cardio, followed by dancey DVDs like Hip Hop Abs, hah! I don't mind other DvDs like Jillian Michaels and Jackie Warner, but I don't LOVE them either.

IanG
08-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Both. I have kids and a pretty stressful job. So trips to the gym early in the morning or during my lunch break are "my time" and to be honest easier.

But the changes to the body and the occassional accelerated weight loss are very welcome too!

ILoveVegetables
08-03-2013, 07:58 AM
I started for two reasons, to change by body and to get more healthy, because I'm at a stage where I can barely climb a flight of stairs without my legs aching. I'm in such bad shape that my legs feel like they're going to give out long before I feel out of breath. I long to feel and look more healthy.

I don't mind exercising that much, but I certainly wouldn't say I started because I enjoy it :p

lin43
08-03-2013, 12:43 PM
I used to HATE exercise, and I never believed I would like it, but now I actually do. Mainly this change of attitude is due to the group fitness class I take; I would not enjoy working out nearly as much if I were on my own. The class is intense and challenging, so it has forced me to realize how much more I can do physically than I thought I could (this is from someone who was lousy at gym in h.s. & college). Also, of course, there is the vanity aspect of it. I enjoy the definition I'm seeing in my arms and legs. Also, I like to eat, and even though I realize one cannot out-exercise a bad diet, I do believe all the exercise I do has allowed me to eat many of the foods I love several times a week without regaining all my weight as I have in the past. To me, exercise has become a normal part of my daily routine, and I cannot imagine not doing it now.

saef
08-03-2013, 01:21 PM
My reasons changed. In the beginning, it was primarily to burn calories and lose weight, to improve my blood pressure and drop cholesterol. Also I wanted to be able to walk further without getting tired and climb stairs without being winded.

Now I'm conscious of using it to burn off stress, to regain a sense of mastery over something simple when I am feeling less than competent at getting through life, and yes, I like having some muscle, too.

pnkrckpixikat
08-03-2013, 02:56 PM
When I restart exercising, it is only to burn calories and because I know it is good for me. Once I get into a routine it is because I like how I feel before and after. During is a whole different question lol

When I am in the habit, I love cardio but strength training I have to make myself because, it feels ok doing it, but I HATE the sore feeling after and the next day. Although I take a BCAA with Glutamine supplement now and it has really cut out the day after soreness so maybe I will get into it more.

Kscott
08-03-2013, 03:28 PM
I think it's the endorphin's that keeps me exercising. It's that feel good sensation--which is that 2nd wind you get--in the middle of a hard work-out that just sends you flying over the top.

It's very difficult for someone who is just starting an exercise program to feel that way. Most didn't want to start exercising in the first place. (They were forced into it--either by self-awareness--they know that they should-but unfortunately they typically quit after a few sessions-and or-get burnt out because they're trying to do too much at the beginning.) And or their doctor's told them to start exercising or face the consequences.

Exercise is something you do for your entire life--regardless of your shape or weight. It's what keeps you healthy and happy.

An exercise endorphin rush comes from consistency--someone who exercises regularly and works out hard. It's also highly addictive and is what keeps you going back for more.

http://rlv.zcache.co.uk/denim_exercise_motivation_posters-r161d320a7d394ab787723d66bc7f04fc_wvo_8byvr_324.jp g

SunnySide99
08-04-2013, 08:18 AM
When I first got back into exercising it was mainly for burning some calories. As I continued I noticed my bingo wings were firming a little and my love handles were getting smaller so that gave me more motivation to continue.

Then I noticed I could walk faster and longer without getting tired and as my stamina grew I started to love the endorphins I would get. Before I knew it I started to enjoy and look forward to my workouts.

Now it's tough for me to go one day without doing something active whether it's sports, lifting or just walking around the neighborhood casually.

The physical changes are of course great, but I know I've made major changes by staying active such as lowering my blood pressure, building a stronger heart and getting rid of hard visceral fat which is very important to me.

lotte
08-08-2013, 08:40 AM
Well firstly I'll achieve my goal weight much faster by losing weight, but I want to continue doing it the rest of my life. I want to live to see 100 years.. And I have a goal to complete a marathon within a year, because I know it will keep me motivated and make me stronger.

I don't love running while I'm at it, but I feel awesome the rest of they day (hence I run in the morning), so the benefits outweigh the hard work. Swimming I enjoy while I'm at it so I do that many times a week :)

ShyHeather
08-08-2013, 07:45 PM
I have a love / hate relationship with exercise. I am doing it mainly to change my body, but at the same time I enjoy it (for the most part).

Some weight lifting machines are like long lost lovers, I have to use them! Others make me want to cry and throw in the towel, but I keep pushing.

I actually just started lifting again, and oh my gosh! My arms were ready to detach from my body, but I had to finish my second rep, I just cannot allow myself to half ar$e my workouts. Injuries are a different story though.

:jig:

Edit - Cardio ... my weakness. I am right now using just the stationary bike due to a knee injury, and the way I must be using the elliptical has caused intense pressure. So yeah, I have no love for cardio at the moment. But again, it is mostly to change my body.

Precious Little
08-08-2013, 09:51 PM
To burn stress and prevent depression.

It only takes three days without a workout and it all creeps back in.... so I have to keep on top of that.

I do exercise for vanity for sure... but I also love the high I get from an intense cardio workout... and the 'jelly legs/arms' (muscle failure) I get after a good strength training workout.

The more I do, the harder I can push, the harder I push the better the results... the easier it gets and so on... (of course within a sensible range).

Wannabeskinny
08-09-2013, 09:16 AM
I exercise because it makes me feel good. It makes me feel strong. It also makes me feel like I'm in the land of the living, I like the connection I feel to other people who are exercising in the park, like we're in a special club or something. I enjoy that social aspect of it. With a toddler at home it's also the only time I get to myself in the day. I also suffer from anxiety and stress and exercise is the only thing that helps.

I HATE cardio oh my god. So I don't do it. Though I'm going to add a 30 minute session on days I take a break from lifting to help me lose a bit of extra gloop. That or yoga which I thought I liked until I did it today and found out that my hinges are so rusty I can barely stretch!

When I hear the word "cardio" I immediately think of treadmills, eliptical machines, and other torture devices that are super boring to work out on. In fact I hate using the word cardio altogether. Instead I try to focus on activities I love to do like walking, running, tennis, volleyball, hiking, playing hide and seek with my son, dancing, etc. These are all activities that incorporate your cardiovascular system and increase oxygen circulation. It's not productive to say "I hate cardio" because that means you hate all movement. If you walk to your car in the morning, you're engaging in cardio. If you walk a little further than that then you're exercising.

Why not carry a pedometer and see if you can get up to 10,000 steps per day? Half of that can be actual exercise but the rest of it is just daily living.

Issaknits
08-09-2013, 12:18 PM
I'm with the people who use their workout times as "me" time. When I have something on my mind, I'll hop on the bike or treadmill so that I don't have to worry about bumping into other people out on the tracks and trails while I mull things over, but when I'm outside, I'm more interested in what's going on around me. I work in a window-minimal office, so any time I can spend out in the sun with a nice breeze is great!

I started lifting weights just to add muscle to help burn fat, but now I'm keeping up with lifting because I love the fact that I'm adding more weight onto the bar as the weeks progress and the fact that I'm beginning to see the start of muscle definition. I'm like this lump of clay that's slowly yet surely getting sculpted into a stronger version of me, one rep at a time. Feeling like Wonder Woman at the end of a lifting day is the best feeling ever.

lollerskates
08-09-2013, 02:48 PM
When I began exercising, it was almost all about speeding up my weight loss. However, after a couple weeks my boyfriend pointed out that I was much happier and positive when I stuck to a workout schedule. I also liked how my body felt stronger--like when I would find my backpack was getting easier to carry, etc. So positive life/body outlook is my new reason for going all out :)

FatSass
08-13-2013, 03:04 AM
I do it both because I enjoy it and I hope it gives me a better body.

It's also nice to do something that feels like an accomplishment. Even when I eat really healthy and within my calorie limits all day, I still think of my diet in terms of what I'm not doing; I didn't have soda, I didn't skip oatmeal for a bagel, I didn't stop at the drive-thru on my way home from work, etc. Exercise, on the other hand, feels like a more concrete thing I can point to and say, "I did something good for myself today."

Radiojane
08-13-2013, 11:35 AM
I started because I had to, and I hated it. But now, like another poster said, if I quit (and I just came off a month of not working out) - the depression and exhaustion come back. Yesterday was my first swim in a month, I usually do it daily, and I felt infinitely better mentally and physically pretty much the moment I got my heart rate up. I've missed yoga for three weeks too and I cannot wait until Thursday.

I didn't move much my whole life, and I really do wonder if that was a huge part of my issues with depression.

Kscott
08-13-2013, 02:20 PM
I started because I had to, and I hated it. But now, like another poster said, if I quit (and I just came off a month of not working out) - the depression and exhaustion come back. Yesterday was my first swim in a month, I usually do it daily, and I felt infinitely better mentally and physically pretty much the moment I got my heart rate up. I've missed yoga for three weeks too and I cannot wait until Thursday.

I didn't move much my whole life, and I really do wonder if that was a huge part of my issues with depression.

Agreed--and there is scientific evidence to back up what we regular exercisers are saying. Those endorphins that we send to our brain during a good work-out actually does eliminate depression in many individuals. It makes me feel great.

We know that exercise has positive effects on the brain. Researchers at Duke University demonstrated several years ago that exercise has antidepressant properties. Other research has shown that exercise can improve the brain functioning of the elderly and may even protect against dementia. How does exercise improve mental health?

One theory for some of the benefits of exercise include the fact that exercise triggers the production of endorphins. These natural opiates are chemically similar to morphine. They may be produced as natural pain relievers in response to the shock that the body receives during exercise. However, researchers are beginning to question whether endorphins improve mood. Studies are showing that the body's metabolism of endorphins is complex, and there are likely additional mechanisms involved in the mental health effects of exercise.

Some studies have found that exercise boosts activity in the brain's frontal lobes and the hippocampus. We don't really know how or why this occurs. Animal studies have found that exercise increases levels of serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine. These neurotransmitters have been associated with elevated mood, and it is thought that antidepressant medications also work by boosting these chemicals.

Exercise has also been found to increase levels of "brain-derived neurotrophic factor" (BDNF). This substance is thought to improve mood, and it may play a role in the beneficial effects of exercise. BDNF's primary role seems to be to help brain cells survive longer, so this may also explain some of the beneficial effects of exercise on dementia.

The bottom line is that most of us feel good after exercise. Physical exercise is good for our mental health and for our brains. Someday we will understand it all better.
http://mentalhealth.about.com/od/depression/a/howexercise.htm

http://carrotsncake.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/10-Motivational-Quotes-to_6219/2012-03-03_0712_thumb.png

newme55
10-29-2013, 07:46 PM
Both, plus I always feel great after a work out.

alexis7
10-30-2013, 12:06 PM
Hello world!
I work out because ... i want to change myself. I hate the old me. i want change. I work out to swim away all the anger, the self resentment, the fat ( imagine fat dissolving as i swim away in the pool :carrot: )

I want to be a healthier me!

Wannabeskinny
10-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Hello world!
I work out because ... i want to change myself. I hate the old me. i want change. I work out to swim away all the anger, the self resentment, the fat ( imagine fat dissolving as i swim away in the pool :carrot: )

I want to be a healthier me!

I hope that as you learn to live yourself that you will also learn to be more compassionate to your "old self."

Diamondonalandmine
11-14-2013, 06:38 AM
I absolutely LOVEfeeling sore the day after but the second day following an intense work out can be a bit of a b**ch! But I do still love it. Knowing that muscles are rebuilding getting bigger reshaping me.

Walking down an incline after leg day daaang lol or the first time my legs gave out walking down some steps and I caught myself and without realizing it at the time held up all my weigh on my arms alone. Springing up three flights of stairs while talk on the phone and not losing my breath. Walking around in a four inch boot without issue because my legs are so much stronger and little things like stairs and heels are not a big issue anymore. But most of all there shaping of my body is what I do it for.

FickleHearts
11-14-2013, 09:59 AM
I started to change my body. But now I'm enjoying the heck out of it!!!

I like cardio. It makes me feel better after I do it and I huff and puff during, but that high afterwards is awesome. I've always enjoyed weights and am happy I joined a gym so I can start doing those more often. The soreness is just part of the process and well, I kinda like it too. Makes me feel like everything I did was successful.

fitmom
11-14-2013, 03:40 PM
Love love love what lifting has done for my 42 year old body! But I realize cardio is a necessary component to keep my heart healthy. My cardio of choice is jump rope.

krampus
11-15-2013, 10:03 AM
I feel antsy and restless and cranky if I don't exercise, and I love the "rush" I get sometimes from a vigorous run or lifting session. The benefits are plenty - I can eat whatever I want and maintain a weight and body composition I am satisfied with, I can carry the groceries in on one trip, and I almost never have to worry about not being fit enough to do XYZ activity - for example, hiking the Adirondack High Peaks or going to an indoor climbing gym party or trying a new fitness class.

Diamondonalandmine
11-16-2013, 08:09 AM
I do love how my lungs feel after getting in a good run and a heck of a sweat. Back of my thighs my neck chest face pouring with sweat lol All the deep breathing. But i moved in the city I live in and the most convenient gym is a five minute walk and coed. I was at an all woman's but know I do not feel comfortable running at the coed. I double up with a sports bra over my reg bra but there is still a lot of movement in the chest area. Any other busty women with some advice on this? I am a 38i so regular sports bras do little nothing. This may seem like nothing but I really do not like being watched and running makes me self continuous so any tips on this would be greatly appreciated :)

domesticbliss
11-16-2013, 04:33 PM
To change my body! I wish I was one of those who loved to workout, but I am not there yet... especially with weights. It's like torture going to the gym, but after I workout I feel good about myself and I never regret going, I'm just hoping the longer I do it consistently the more I'll look forward to going... for now it's a means to an end.

Velvet bean
01-10-2014, 06:41 PM
I am the opposite to you, iixi. I dislike lifting weights, sit-ups and similar exercise and almost never do it. I can't think of a more boring activity!
Although I workout to change my body, I'm fond of parts of cardio exercise. For example, I love the shower afterwards, seeing myself progress and in the right company it can be fun! Also, I like a challenge sometimes. :)

EasySpirit
01-10-2014, 07:26 PM
I joined the Y to swim, do water aerobics, and "Loosen up" my stress. I now exercise 5-6 times a week to control my stress and depression. It makes me look better, both facially and body shape, which makes me feel even better. I also have great bp, cholesterol, all blood counts; and, I think due to the exercise.

Unfortunately, exercising has not helped with the weight loss in my case, as I eat and DRINK the extra calories. But, I do believe it helps others lose. It helps me stay well-balanced, even-keeled, etc.

thirti4thirty
01-10-2014, 11:29 PM
I exercise because it reduces my appetite. The more I exercise, the less I feel like snacking between meals or binging. My body kind of feels "full" in another way and I no more think of food to fill it.
So yes, eventually it's all for the weight loss process. I wouldn't do it if I didn't have to. But I always end up falling in love with it because of how it transforms my body.

noshoes
01-12-2014, 04:03 AM
Because I am stubborn!
Part of it is because I want to be healthier, stronger, leaner but also part of me is just into sticking it out once I start something.

Terra1984
02-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Both

Avezy44
02-02-2014, 09:47 PM
I do it to change my body. I'm not a huge fan of it but I am starting to like it now that I am doing it more.