Old 07-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 177.8/155/150

Height: 5"10

Default No more veggie stir fry!!!

I am on day two of IP and very quickly becoming tired of stir frying my "two cups of vegetables". Tonight I decided to purre cauliflower with subpar results. Are there any other ways to consume these vegetables without a salad or stir fry??
Shrinkmeplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:24 AM   #2  

There are bunches of recipe threads in the first post of the daily thread.
Many of them are there exclusively for this purpose.

Plan on taking some time to read thru them.

My favorites in the summer are slaw w/WF dressing,
Marinated cucumber/onion salad,
Mock potato salad (use cauliflower instead).

Caulimash is an acquired taste. Mine works best if I cook the cauli till super soft, cooking it in chicken broth & garlic pepper & mashing with my stick blender.
Spend a bunch of time in the Fun with Veggie Purées
There are also tons of packet hack recipes for sneaking veggies into packet recipes.

Try roasting your veggies too
Also get a basket for the grill. I had broccoli this way the first time a couple weeks ago and it was FANTASTIC
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/179/150

Height: 5'3"

I roast mine everyday. I'm not tired of it yet (4 months in) but yesterday I started trying my hand at dehydrated veggies. We'll see.....
drivebynotthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Hi Shrinkmeplease! Here's a list of how I survive veggies. (I now enjoy them and it does get easier!)

Roast: broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage. 1 - 2 tsp evoo, seasonings (usually salt and pepper). place on cooking sheet at 350 - 400 degrees (each oven is different). I do for 20 minutes and shake them and put back in for another 20. If they start to brown (burn) adjust time and / or temp.

Chips: Kale, zucchini: google recipes..very good!

Cauliflower "bread sticks": Google recipe

Spinach: Add 2 cups to a protein drink. I combine mine is a magic bullet. You will need a good blender to blend it to a liquid. It works and you won't taste it at all.

Then red peppers ,celery or cukes I'll just eat raw...(I began doing this only after really growing a love for all the veggies...it took time but did happen).

I remember when I first began my veggie choices made me so sick!!! Gross salads with raw cauliflower, broccoli etc with seasoned evoo! Eek!!! I was so discouraged and didn't know who I was going to survive IP! BUT I DID!!! AND so will YOU!!!

Last edited by New Englander; 07-31-2013 at 09:09 AM.
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:54 AM   #5  
On plan since June 23/13

S/C/G: 197/153/150

My favourite is to mix baby spinach in with my shake in the morning. Its an easy way to get in 1-2 cups of veggies. I use the chocolate shake and even add a little WF blueberry sauce...yummy! You really can't taste the spinach. My magic bullet is getting a workout. Plus this shake is VERYfilling.

My other favourite is the rhubarb crisp. I could literally live on that dish! Doesn't feel like veggies and almost feels like a cheap but its NOT!

I also like to make garlic roasted asparagus.

Good luck. I am into week 5 and I am down 17 lbs as of this morning. I have found many many tips on this site. Keep asking for ideas, and good luck with your journey!

"Eat to live, don't live to eat!" (I got that quote from 3FC and it's my new mantra)
Maxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #6  
On plan since June 23/13

S/C/G: 197/153/150

Just remembered a couple more veggie likes of mine:

- I add cauliflower and broccoli to the soup mix. It thickens up the soup a bit and the cheese flavour is pretty good.
- I make the omelet mix and add mushrooms, onions (green) and peppers to it.
- I make a dish of cabbage, ground beef and tomato paste and spices. It's like a lazy cabbage roll dish without the rice.
Maxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #7  
IP Start Date 5/13/13

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 5'7"

Grilled zucchini & summer squash. Cut lengthwise, about 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick, toss in olive oil, sprinkle some spices and throw them on the grill. Delicious hot off the grill, or refrigerate and have them cold with a salad.

I could eat this every day!
hangdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 327/310/160

Height: 5'6

I have a green shake 4xs a week. The flavor possibilties are endless. Also do you have oatmeal or pancakes? Try dycing a cup of jicama with apple spice and top it on the oatmeal or pancakes. Its a great apple substitute.
julianna912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:16 PM   #9  
IP Start: 05/16/13

S/C/G: 215.8/140.3/145

Height: 5'5"

I add spinach to both my chocolate and my wild berry shakes. It's great. As well, I will saute spinach with mushrooms, zucchini, etc. and garlic and add it to soups such as the chicken soup mix or pottage. Adds some "umph" to them which I like.

I second/third or whatever we are on about roasting veggies in the oven or grill. And I have grown to love chicken chopped salads with mustard or bbq (walden farms), or a mustard/evoo/vinegar dressing I make. yum! I am hungry now!
sarita75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Oh yeah...eggplant is a good thickener too...I make a chicken curry dish that is to die for!

8 ounces ground chicken (can use any protein) season to taste (I use salt, pepper, onion powder and parsley)
1 - 2 cups small eggplant (diced...I dice mine so it's just smaller than a di) it actually helps cook down easier and thicken the water (which gets added later)
Depending how much eggplant you want to use you offset that amount with red pepper, and tomato.
1 to 1 1/2 tbsp. curry powder.

To make: add 1 - 2 tsp evoo to pan. add meat (I make little meatballs)
cook until brown. add curry powder. mix around. it will stick to bottom of pan. I add my veggies and stir up some more..then I add water to cover. i've played with the amount of H2O needed and came up with 1 1/2 cups. stir up and remove all the stuck curry from bottom of pan...bring to boil, reduce heat (cover) and simmer...I remove the meat (if it's cooked) because it can dry out if cooked to long. I've had varying results due to cooking on inside electric stove and then moving outside to gas (because hubby disdains the smell of curry!) It was my "go to" for a few weeks and saved me!! Oh and it usually thickens within 20 minutes...if it's close to thickening and hasn't you can crank the heat and stir constantly...it will thicken! Amazingly good!!! (If you like curry!)
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 177.8/155/150

Height: 5"10

Thanks everyone!! These are great suggestions and I am looking forward to trying a few today!
Shrinkmeplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:43 PM   #12  
Started IP: 1/16/13

S/C/G: 228.6/see ticker/128

Height: 5' 5"

I love grilled veggies! So easy and yummy. I also like oven roasted veggies. Luckily, I also enjoy salads and stir fry veggies
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:20 AM   #13  

Back on May 1st when I began IP, I was really concerned about getting enough vegetables in because, up to that point, the only veggies I even liked were all restricted ones. Now I actually enjoy the veggies!

For example, I thought everyone was either crazy or lying when I read so many recipes that substitute cauliflower for a main ingredients I was used to. Silly me! So far all the cauli/rice recipes I've tried have been really good - I tried "Dirty Rice" just last night and it was great! I also tried rutabaga fries, cutting up one whole rutabaga into skinny fries then cooking them spread out on a jelly roll pan in some olive oil. I sprinkled Splenda & cinnamon on half and garlic powder & sea salt on the other half. Both were tasty-> the sweet ones tasted like sweet potato fries! AND I can't believe that I actually ate a rutabaga (and loved it).

I guess my point is to let (or make) yourself step outside of your comfort zone and just try some things.

On a different but kind of related note, I found out yesterday that I am seriously allergic to soy, so am now scrambling to find substitutes for some of what it took me the past three months to figure out that I liked in the packets! Sigh!!

Any input y'all care to share would be greatly appreciated.
smoothysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 225/180/160

Height: 5'7

Cauliflower and Asparagus are both great roasted in the over. I sauté Zucchini and mushrooms and add to the soups too.
vanishingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 225/180/160

Height: 5'7

Cauliflower and Asparagus are both great roasted in the over. I sauté Zucchini and mushrooms and add to the soups too.
vanishingchick is offline   Reply With Quote