Exercise! - Shoes for running and other stuff?

Wannabeskinny
07-28-2013, 10:20 AM
I received a gift certificate to Bloomingdales (???) which is a store normally out of my price range but it is what it is. I really want to spend the money on a good work out shoe. I like to run, but I also like to play tennis and walk. I'm getting a bike soon so I'd like a workout shoe that can accommodate all activities. What kind of shoe should I look into buying?

niru78
07-28-2013, 01:55 PM
Sorry I have no idea but thank you for posting this coz I am very interested in learning about good quality shoes as well. I am planning to treat myself to best walking/jogging/elliptical workout shoes that will last a while.

Thanks

Wannabeskinny
07-28-2013, 02:00 PM
Yes, I know it's important to have the right shoes but I don't know what's best.

MariaMaria
07-28-2013, 02:27 PM
You won't want to hear this and I suspect you know already what I'm about to say, but Bloomingdales, nice as it is, is not the place to get running shoes. Running shoes for running come from a proper running store where someone who knows what s/he's doing looks at how you walk and how you run, and bases recommendations on that. For general gym stuff including walking and beginner biking, go with something that feels good and you like what they look like.

TripSwitch
07-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Unfortunately, Nike is the only brand that you're going to find at Bloomies... Everything else is going to be high end "fashion" type sneakers.... And don't get me wrong I love my Prada, Gucci, and Ferragamo's sneakers... But I don't workout in them... Although Prada makes some really comfortable and supportive sneakers that would be find for walking and basic gym workouts... But you're talking around $400 a pair.... So unless Nike works for you... I would use that gift certificate for maybe a cute workout outfit or just splurge on some cosmetics or perfume that you wouldn't normally buy yourself.... Have fun...

StrangeJourney
07-28-2013, 09:47 PM
I think you're looking for ultimately a cross-training shoe but if you're really wanting to invest in a good quality shoe, I'd recommend going to a specialty store where, as someone stated before, someone can really examine your personal stride and the way your foot is built.

Wannabeskinny
07-29-2013, 07:22 AM
Oh shucks, I know it's hard to find a running shoe at Bloomies but that's where the gift certificate is for. Now I'm bummed.

Kscott
07-29-2013, 01:13 PM
I received a gift certificate to Bloomingdales (???) which is a store normally out of my price range but it is what it is. I really want to spend the money on a good work out shoe. I like to run, but I also like to play tennis and walk. I'm getting a bike soon so I'd like a workout shoe that can accommodate all activities. What kind of shoe should I look into buying?

A running shoe would be good for running or walking--but not tennis. In tennis there is a lot of lateral movement and you need shoes designed for that. Running/Walking shoes are built for strictly moving forward.

Furthermore--I would go to a running store for advice on a shoe before I would buy anything.

Wannabeskinny
07-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the input. Going to a running store sounds expensive. But I guess I have no choice.

Kscott
07-30-2013, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the input. Going to a running store sounds expensive. But I guess I have no choice.

It depends on what type of shoe they recommend--but once you find the shoe you want--(brand and type) you may be able to pick them up via the internet cheaper--or they may have a good sale going on. A good running shoe--can cost anywhere from $80.00 to $160.00 and they last a long time--if you're only wearing them for walking/running.

Since you're playing tennis also--you may be able to pick up cross-training shoes that will fit your needs--(depending on how much walking/running) you plan on doing.

But--all in all--anyone who exercises frequently--runs--aerobics--whatever will tell you that the most important investment you make into your exercise program are the shoes you are wearing. No one wants to stop exercising because of shin splints-foot/hip/knee/ankle/pain and other injuries associated with wearing the wrong shoes. And exercising without those kind of problems popping up is "priceless."

MariaMaria
07-30-2013, 01:23 AM
It depends on what type of shoe they recommend--but once you find the shoe you want--(brand and type) you may be able to pick them up via the internet cheaper

Your local running shop is a business, not a library. If you want to buy online cheaper, get your fitting online.

Generally, independent stores sell at list, just like Zappos.

Wannabeskinny
07-30-2013, 07:28 AM
Your local running shop is a business, not a library. If you want to buy online cheaper, get your fitting online.

Well, I understand that but how can you get your fitting online? I do understand the importance of this, right now my shoes hurt me just by putting them on, that can't be good! I was just hoping the gift certificate would work. Bloomies only has Nike shoes.

MariaMaria
07-30-2013, 02:10 PM
Well, I understand that but how can you get your fitting online? <snip> I was just hoping the gift certificate would work. Bloomies only has Nike shoes.

IMO you can't.

So don't get your fitting at an indie store and spend your money somewhere else.

I don't quite understand what you're looking for here. No one posting in this thread is going to hire a running shoe fitter at Bloomingdale's shoe department. Bloomingdale's sells fashion. You need function.

IMO either sell the GC and take yourself to a running store, or spend it (at Bloomie's) on workout gear and/or a good running bra, both of which they might sell.

Wannabeskinny
07-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the help. I was originally asking for suggestions on what type of shoe should I get. Like shouldn't get Nikes or Reebok? It is there a different brand I should look into. I do not expect anyone to "hire a shoe expert at Bllomingdaldes", whatever that means. I understand now that his store probably does not have a lot of selection but like I said, I don't really go there so how would I know that?? I'm sorry my idiotic question disturbed anyone. Thank you very much for your help.

nelie
07-30-2013, 03:34 PM
Also, running stores aren't more expensive than most other places but once you find a shoe that works for you, you can buy future shoes online.

When I went and got fitted at a running store, I had 3 choices that I really liked, priced from $60 to $100. It turned out that I really loved Brooks and they have been the best shoes for me.

Now that I have a Brooks style that works for me, I generally buy replacements online.

Maybe since buying shoes at Bloomingdale's isn't in your best interest, how about buying some workout clothes there?

Wannabeskinny
07-30-2013, 03:50 PM
I will buy boots at B's and make an appointment at the running shoe store. Thanks Nelie!

curvynotlumpy
07-30-2013, 04:12 PM
Also, running stores aren't more expensive than most other places but once you find a shoe that works for you, you can buy future shoes online.

When I went and got fitted at a running store, I had 3 choices that I really liked, priced from $60 to $100. It turned out that I really loved Brooks and they have been the best shoes for me.

Now that I have a Brooks style that works for me, I generally buy replacements online.

Maybe since buying shoes at Bloomingdale's isn't in your best interest, how about buying some workout clothes there?

I will buy boots at B's and make an appointment at the running shoe store. Thanks Nelie!

I second what Nelie wrote, WBS! I've been wearing a New Balance running shoe going on 3 years. They are expensive but worth it since I have a compromised right ankle and need proper support. I just recently bought a new pair and since I had previously been fitted at my local Fleet Feet and knew what I needed and worked best for me, I bought my shoes from Amazon. They were $10 less than what I would have paid at Fleet Feet and shipping was free. I've experienced no problems. Again, going to a specialized running store for the initial fitting is a good idea. They'll ask you all sorts of questions and assess your gait while you walk or run and these are all good things. And don't be afraid to ask them questions as well. Yep, the output of $$$ on that first pair can be quite a shock, but having the correct shoe can mean the difference between sticking with your walking and running and giving up due to pain or injury.

Get something nice for yourself at Bloomies! I like the idea of a good sports bra if you don't have one already!

EatMoreCelery
07-30-2013, 05:35 PM
Why not go to Bloomingdales and try on their cross-trainers? You might at least find some shoes that are better than what you're currently wearing. :)

jackiedavis87
07-31-2013, 08:47 AM
ok i totally got this! finally a question i can answer woohoo!! the first question you should ask is how high is the arch in your foot, based off that answer a couple of choices are

high arch- Nike free run around $100
(i have an extremely high arch in my foot and this is what i wear love them)

high to mid arch- underarmour micro G (a cross trainer that you can run in) or spine both around $80-$90

low arch- Reebok realflex (completely lightweight and offers extra heel cushion)i have a pair and can't wear them because they kill my feet due to my arch, but if you have no arch their perfect, also you can find these on sale everywhere anywhere from $45-80

other good running shoes include
asics- several different styles(also styles for tennis), but good running ones cost around $140
brooks- really all they do is running shoes and this is what the hard core 5 mile a day runners come in my store looking for but their around $140- $160
New Balance- in my store i only have one pair of new balance but i hear really good things about them, namely what was said on here, that they last a long time. i know they make really good walking shoes, but since i haven't tried any on i can't say about what the arch is like.

i totally feel like I'm trying to sell something here, but if you can find a Hibbett sports near you most of them are fantastic when i comes to sizing your foot and doing an arch test and then offering recommendations. at least my staff is :)
hope this helps!

Wannabeskinny
07-31-2013, 09:11 AM
ok i totally got this! finally a question i can answer woohoo!! the first question you should ask is how high is the arch in your foot, based off that answer a couple of choices are

high to mid arch- underarmour micro G (a cross trainer that you can run in) or spine both around $80-$90

low arch- Reebok realflex (completely lightweight and offers extra heel cushion)i have a pair and can't wear them because they kill my feet due to my arch, but if you have no arch their perfect, also you can find these on sale everywhere anywhere from $45-80

asics- several different styles(also styles for tennis), but good running ones cost around $140
brooks- really all they do is running shoes and this is what the hard core 5 mile a day runners come in my store looking for but their around $140- $160
New Balance- in my store i only have one pair of new balance but i hear really good things about them, namely what was said on here, that they last a long time. i know they make really good walking shoes, but since i haven't tried any on i can't say about what the arch is like.

i totally feel like I'm trying to sell something here, but if you can find a Hibbett sports near you most of them are fantastic when i comes to sizing your foot and doing an arch test and then offering recommendations. at least my staff is :)
hope this helps!

Ha thanks! I totally appreciate your enthusiasm. I can't afford the Brooks it seems but I'll take a look. I have a pair of NB right now and they kill my feet. Like they seriously hurt as soon as I put them on. I don't know about my arch but I guess that's what they'll figure out once I go to the store.

I've never tried Nike but considering they sell them at Bloomies they might work eventually.

Seashell84
07-31-2013, 11:10 AM

hope this helps!

Sorry for hijacking your thread Wannabeskinny!:o lol You got really good advice and I have nothing to add.

Jackiedavis, is the Nike freerun good for underpronation too? The guy at the shoe store said I had a neutral gait, but I know I underpronate. I catch myself doing it and the wear pattern on my shoe is consistent with underpronation. I also have really high arches. My current shoes have good arch support but my ankles and knees often hurts and I'm pretty sure it is the underpronation. Any advice about this would be great!:D

Wannabeskinny
07-31-2013, 12:31 PM
No worries I want to know too!

jackiedavis87
07-31-2013, 02:01 PM
Hmm i'm not sure what you mean by underpronate i think what you mean is over suppinate because overpronate means to roll your foot inward and to over suppinate means to roll your foot outward. If thats the case the nike free runs are great for somebody who over suppinates. The nike free runs have a curved last which means that the shoe itslef curves inward to counter the excessive outward rolling of the foot. Also someone who over suppinates tends to have a high arch like me! Free runs are also great for that to. Trust me with the free runs you'll know instantly if they're for you. Hope this helps

Wannabeskinny
07-31-2013, 04:42 PM
Oh and look http://m.bloomingdales.com/shop/product/nike-free-run-3-sneakers?ID=617044

jackiedavis87
08-01-2013, 07:37 AM
yup that's them, the free run+3 are the ones that i have but mine are grey and flaming orange lol you'll always see me comeing

Seashell84
08-01-2013, 08:42 AM
This is what I mean: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/pronation-explained?page=3

So it's actually called over suppinate? Thanks so much! I will definitely be checking those out!

Seashell84
08-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Wannabeskinny, have you considered going to new balance, nike or another shoe store and having your arch and gait analyzed? It should be free. I felt guilty and bought a pair at the store, but I don't think they are commissioned, so it wouldn't matter to them. This is also helpful:
http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/take-wet-test-learn-your-foot-type

Seashell84
08-01-2013, 08:50 AM
I also found this somewhat helpful: http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor

Wannabeskinny
08-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Great info thanks!

Wannabeskinny
08-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Ok so I did it. I went to the runners store and got fitted for a proper shoe. Thy checked my gait and it turns out I roll to the inside of my foot and have little arch. I ended up with a Brooks Ravenna as it felt the best. I spent $120 which was $40 over my budget but it is what it is and it's worth it. Thanks for the advice all!

curvynotlumpy
08-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Ok so I did it. I went to the runners store and got fitted for a proper shoe. Thy checked my gait and it turns out I roll to the inside of my foot and have little arch. I ended up with a Brooks Ravenna as it felt the best. I spent $120 which was $40 over my budget but it is what it is and it's worth it. Thanks for the advice all!

Congrats, Wannabeskinny! You know-if they fit you well and you feel comfortable running and walking in them and they cause no problems, that $120 will be money well spent. You'll thank yourself later!

Wannabeskinny
08-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Happy dance!

Kscott
08-01-2013, 06:56 PM

The problem with buying on-line is you can't try them on before you buy them.

Been there done that before. Shoes I thought would work out great--didn't work out so great after I got them. I ended up going right back to a running store to try on several different brands to see which one was for me.

julesp313
08-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Without question, going to a speciality running store is the place to start - most towns have local ones and also some chains, such as Fleet Feet or similar. I live in Vegas and there's a couple of local stores that I go to periodically to get refitted and checked.

When I started running a few years ago, I got my gait analyzed on a treadmill (they video you from the knees down and show you in slow mo what you're doing) and I ended up in a stability show as I over-pronated. Couple years later, I had knee surgery (unrelated to running) and my surgeon told me to go back and get another analysis once I was cleared to run. Sound advice as my gait had changed and now I'm in a neutral shoe.

The best shoe for me in the last 2-3 years has been the Brooks Ghost - I started with the 3, currently have three pairs of the 5, and they just released the 6. I buy the first pair at the local store and subsequent pairs online, but really the only time I get a great deal online is when the next model comes out and I'm stockpiling the older model! I think the Ghost 6 retails for $120 and I just got some 5's for $60 online. When I'm ready to try the 6's, I'll go back to the running store and check them out - every model is slightly different as the company usually makes small changes to try and improve the shoe, so I like to make sure the new model continues to work for me.

I would recommend that you only run in your running shoes - get cross trainers for other sports (or if you play a lot of tennis, get tennis shoes - as previously mentioned, you want a lot of lateral support for tennis). I only wear my running shoes for other things once I've put over 450 miles on them and they're officially retired from running!