Old 07-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #1  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Question Are There Different Kinds Of OA

I was wondering if there are different kinds of OA cause I just read a post about OA 90, I've never heard of that before, I've just always heard of OA so that got me wondering if there were different kinds of OA? Thanks for anyone who has an answer
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #2  

There is only one OA, where we use 12 steps & 12 tradition and OA tools to deal with our eating disorder. However there are minor details on execution. For example OA HOW and OA90 are more structured and we weight and measured our food, with no sugar & no refined flour & ???. Food plan is alway from working with our sponsor/doctor/.... So, if your sponsor is from OA90, then it's very likely that you have a very similar, may not be identical plan.

I would go to different meetings (~6), and look for group/people who have what you want, eg: physical, emotional, spiritual recovery. Some may find recovery via a more structure program, some may not. The key/similarity to all OA group is doing the 12 steps, 12 traditions and tools. OA is not a religious organization and does not promote any particular food plan.

Official wordings of OA Unity with Diversity Policy: www dot oa dot org/pdfs/Unity_Diversity_statements.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
OVEREATERS ANONYMOUS
POLICY STATEMENTS RELATED TO UNITY WITH DIVERSITY
1992a (Amended 2013)

The following policy statement was adopted:
“Unity with Diversity” Policy

THE FELLOWSHIP encourages and promotes acceptance and inclusivity. All are welcome to join OA and are not excluded because of race, creed, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other trait. We welcome all who share our compulsion. THE FELLOWSHIP of Overeaters Anonymous recognizes the existence of individual approaches and different structured concepts to working our Twelve-Step program of recovery; that the Fellowship is united by our disease and our common purpose; and that individual differences in approach to recovery within our Fellowship need not divide us.

THE FELLOWSHIP respects the rights of individuals, groups and service bodies to follow a particular concept of recovery within Overeaters Anonymous and encourages each member, group and service body to also respect those rights as they extend the embracing hand of Fellowship to those who still suffer.

THE FELLOWSHIP encourages each duly registered group and service body to affirm and maintain the Twelve Traditions of Overeaters Anonymous by allowing any member to share his or her experience, strength and hope in meetings regardless of the individual approach or specific concept that member may follow. Duly registered is defined as being in full compliance with Bylaws, Subpart B, Article V.

OA Business Conference Policy Manual
1994b (Amended 2008)
The following policy statement was adopted:
The Fellowship of Overeaters Anonymous recognizes that the existence of special focus meetings (i.e., gay and lesbian meetings, women’s meetings, men’s meetings, 100-pounders, maintainers, old timers, and people of various cultural backgrounds, etc.) which have been formed of persons who can more readily identify with fellow OAers with similar attributes. According to the Traditions, bylaws and policies of OA, the only requirement for membership is the desire to stop eating compulsively. We ask each
person attending a meeting to respect and consider the group conscience. All registered meetings shall welcome and give a voice to any person who has the desire to stop eating compulsively.

OA Business Conference Policy Manual

Last edited by netlander; 07-28-2013 at 04:50 PM.
netlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 296

Height: 5'8"

There are a couple different forms of OA. There were a couple of major splits, mostly due to different opinions on what makes a healthy diet plan, and also, who should get to speak and/or take leadership roles in a group.

If you ask me, these are BIG differences.

90 day OA advocates one kind of eating plan for everyone. Its fairly strict, outlawing a bunch of stuff, from white flour to chewing gum. Only people who follow this level of abstinence are allowed to speak during the meetings, and if you "slip," you are required to go back and start counting the 90 days again. They also require a strict plan of action, including calling people every day, ect...

OA HOW is also very strict, assumes that most people with thrive on a similar food plan. I think a lot of the action plan and leadership rules are pretty much the same as 90 day-ers, but I'm not sure.

Food Addicts anonymous is a group that split entirely from OA because they did not like that OA stopped using the "gray sheet," a super low-carb diet.

Regular, non-designated, OA meetings will tend to have a variety of different people with different food plans. Some of them will be low carb-ers and some will not. Different meetings will have different rules around who can take leadership roles. Usually its something like a week or a month of abstinence. The other "tools" are talked about, but not required. Abstinence is a personal matter, between you, your sponsor and maybe a doctor or dietician. Usually, groups do not allow talk of specific foods or plans. The idea is to keep your focus on the spiritual side of recovery, which any old-timer will tell you, is the key to recovery.

I think its really important for new comers to understand that there are different ways of working this program because different people need different programs to find recovery. What works for you might not work for me. For example, my vegetarianism is important to my maintaining my abstinence because its important for me to understand that how I eat affects others. Other members are horrified by this, having lived on meat and veggies alone for years. That's their problem, not mine. In a regular OA meeting, I can do what I need to do for recovery, and expect to not be put down for it.

Some things are always the same. The 12 steps are always the same. The need for community in order to recover is always the same. Those things are VERY important. But there are also significant differences.
blog is offline   Reply With Quote