Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss - Figuring Out Body Shape

View Full Version : Figuring Out Body Shape

Buffinlovin
07-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Hello folks! So I'm having some trouble trying to identify my body type. I look at myself in pictures, and in the mirror, and I just can't seem to figure it out!

When you look at me from the back, and even sometimes from the front, I don't appear as big/heavy as I really am. I'm very thick, if that makes sense, so when you see me from the side, that's where you can really see the weight. I'm leaning towards pear-shape because I do carry a lot of weight in my hips and thighs, but I also have a large stomach/belly, which is more a trait of an apple shape.

I'm just trying to get a visual of what I'm going to look like at goal weight...right now all I can see is this large frame, and I'm slightly worried that my goal weight won't look good on me, that my frame is too big. Can your frame change? When I suck my stomach in, my ribs seem so big, and I can't visualize myself being thinner than maybe a size 10.

luckymommy
07-27-2013, 01:07 AM
I think when you lose weight, you'll be an hourglass...but it's really hard to tell because you never know where you'll lose first. I don't think you're a pear...what are your thighs like? My lower body is definitely super heavy and disproportionate to my upper body. Don't worry about how you'll feel at goal weight because you can always reassess at that time. I wish I had better answers...maybe someone with a similar body type has posted before but right now, my guess is that you're....actually, I think you're a rectangle because check this out: http://howtolosebellyfatsoon.com/banana-apple-pear-or-hourglass-which-body-type-do-you-have.html

shutterbugmama84
07-27-2013, 07:32 AM
You look pretty similar to my body type and I'm an hourglass when I'm thin! I lose and gain pretty evenly all over my body. Which is nice when gaining but hen losing it can take a bit to notice because its so even everywhere it's not as drastic.

Buffinlovin
07-27-2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks ladies!! I looked at that picture you linked, Luckymomma, and I agree I could be a rectangle or an hourglass. I spent about 30 minutes in front of a full length mirror and did find that most of my weight was evenly distributed, and I wasn't "bottom-heavy" like a pear shape. I'm starting to see my waist tuck in a bit, so I'm pretty excited to see what I'm going to look like!

You're right, Shutterbugmama, that it doesn't look very noticeable when you lose with this kind of body shape...I don't see it, most of my friends don't see it, my dad sees it a little in my face and neck (if I push my shoulders forward a little I can see collarbones OMG!!!)...I haven't seen my soon-to-be father-in-law since I was at 215lbs, so when I see him next maybe he will let me know if he sees it.

ty so much for your help!! :hug:

TriciaV
07-28-2013, 01:18 PM
I always assumed I was a mesomorph but now that I'm in the "Normal BMI" range I can wrap my fingers past each other on my wrists. My husband says it's weird.

My waist was very resistant to dropping weight for a long time. I think it took 10 months for my waist to lose 3 inches and then in 4 months I lost 5 inches even though my rate of weight loss was unchanged. So there may be periods of greater responsiveness. You just never know till you try.

I have been trying to look at my shoulders instead of my lower body, because even at goal I still feel like I have too much padding around there, but a lot of it is the angle I'm looking from.

Garnet2727
07-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Here's a Body Type Calculator (http://www.calculator.net/body-type-calculator.html)that I've found helpful. According to it, I'm a banana. That actually makes sense to me as I've never really had a clearly defined waist. My hip and bust measurements right now are exactly the same, my waist is 3 inches smaller.

Mozzy
07-28-2013, 02:02 PM
My opinion is you're a brick.

Hope that helps :)

dstalksalot
07-28-2013, 07:57 PM
I think you are a rectangle/ brick/ banana ( hate those terms) with Apple tendencies. You will notice as you lose the apple will turn more into a straight up and down rectangle then more hourglassy but generally you will keep your same general shape.

I am a rectangle with a larger bust and can oscillate between dressing hourglass or rectangle.

MauiKai
08-05-2013, 04:54 PM
I think you look like a pear-to-be. It's a great shape!

LovelyLeah
08-07-2013, 11:30 PM
I'm struggling with this too because as I'm losing weight my body shape is changing. I'm transition from an hourglass into a pear shape as it seems my hips are the last place to be losing fat. I'm hoping to get my hourglass figure back because I liked having curves...not curve.

pnkrckpixikat
08-08-2013, 01:16 PM
I'm struggling with this too because as I'm losing weight my body shape is changing. I'm transition from an hourglass into a pear shape as it seems my hips are the last place to be losing fat. I'm hoping to get my hourglass figure back because I liked having curves...not curve.

I seem to be the opposite, I don't lose my chest (well haven't yet from 320-202) so as everything else shrinks I get closer to hourglass