Weight Loss Surgery - two week pre-op diet

View Full Version : two week pre-op diet

SnowAngel72
07-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Started the pre-op diet today. Tried breakfast with cream of wheat. Not happening. I gagged big time and I used to love cream of wheat. Had to give it to the dogs and get a small bowl of cereal. So far thats my only hiccup on the pre-op diet.

breakfast is cereal hot or cold with 8 oz of milk
snack-protein drink
Lunch is cottage cheese, crackers of my choice(wheat thins) and a small fruit
snack-protein drink
Dinner is grilled chicken, 1 serving of hot vegetable, 1 serving pasta or rice or potato.

The vegetable is a either or with salad(don't really care for them) or two servings of cold vegetables. The chicken can be swapped out for a lean meat. The cottage cheese for half a sandwich.

Then 5 days before surgery I am to switch to the liquid diet.

Does anyone know why the chicken has to be grilled? I love mine baked.

Zeitgeist
07-24-2013, 05:59 AM
You could double check with your surgeon/nutritionist, but I bet baked would be fine. I think the point is that the chicken shouldn't be fried or otherwise cooked in a way that would add extra calories. Or at least that is my immediate thought.

Good luck with your preop diet! I remember how interminable it seemed when I was on it.

SnowAngel72
07-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Thank you, I checked and baked was fine. I am able to substitute yogurt for cottage cheese as well.

Surgery is next tuesday but my insurance still has not approved it so I really haven't done a countdown yet. I just hope I know before I start the full liquid diet on thursday.

jiffypop
07-29-2013, 03:20 PM
good luck! to tell the truth, my surgery wasn't approved until AFTER i had it. but that was 10+ years ago, and i'm sure everyone is stricter about things these days...

SnowAngel72
07-30-2013, 11:58 AM
Thank you jiffypop. I have been watching my authorizations and referrals on my insurances website for the past week. I got online and checked this morning, I saw approved for two new authorizations that were not there yesterday and clicked on them and they were the requests for the rny and the hospital stay. :carrot::dancer::woohoo::cheer2::cheer::yay: My nervousness went up slightly now that its really going to happen.

jiffypop
07-30-2013, 02:38 PM
wooo HOOOOO!!! things are moving! yes - it IS time to be a bit nervous. this is a HUGE life change, but it sounds like you're pretty much ready to do it and you have a good idea of what you're getting into.

akrosey49
07-30-2013, 09:32 PM
Good luck Snow angel, it is indeed an amazing journey:) :hug: rosey :wave:

SnowAngel72
08-03-2013, 08:16 PM
ty

I don't like the liquid diet today because its my anniversary. I am trying not to think about the surgery two more pre op days.