Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/214/145

Height: 5'6"

Default **Need Encouragement**

Hi Everyone,

I don't even know where to start...I have been struggling with my weight pretty much my whole life. I've been successful with weight loss in the past but only to a small degree.

I want to lose about 70lbs which seems impossible since even 1lb has been a struggle.

Last month I decided to give up my gym membership since I wasn't really using it and was tired of feeling guilty about it. It's not that I wanted to give up, but I either wanted to really do it, or get rid of it and try another way. I was having a little bit of success with some videos at home so I vowed to keep going with that. Long story short...a trainer at the gym has offered to train me once a week for free for a year....and I am going at least 2 other times in a week, doing the same workout each time.

I have been doing this for 3 weeks. I have gained 2lbs. I am so frustrated. I know that I have lost a few inches, as we have done the measurements, but for some reason I still feel discouraged and upset. He has asked me to change a few things about my eating - protein shake, almonds and grapefruit for breakfast, and no grains at dinner...lunch and snacks we will work on later. He wants me to make changes very slowly...which I know will help in the long run in terms of keeping up with it and not giving up...but if I don't see results, I will fall off the wagon. It's the way I've always been.

I am just feeling so depressed and awful about myself and I want to know how to keep going when I don't see the results I want to see but I'm doing everything I'm told? I know, in time, my good behaviour will catch up with me...but I don't know how to keep going when I get to this point. This is the point when I always think "it's not working, it's not worth it"...

...everyone at work is asking me what's wrong today...I just feel so discouraged and hopeless. I know that sounds dramatic...but I have been going through this for like 20 years and I am so sick of it....
lynncharlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #2  
Level 5 Vegan

S/C/G: 289/171/140

Height: 5'4"

Like you, I've been struggling with my weight my whole life. In fact, I have been obese my whole life. I have tried diets in the past, succeeded for a few months, then swiftly got bored with it and went back to my old habits.

But this time is different. I've made a commitment to myself and have changed my life. I used WW to teach me how to eat, control my portions, without feeling deprived and then moved on to more fitness goals. I run, very slowly, but I run. I switched to calorie counting and FitBit Flex to keep track of my caloric intake/burn.

Not everything works for everyone. It's okay to stumble and fall, but always get up. You're doing this for you! And you CAN do it!! Don't get discouraged.
PUPMOM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/202.2/150

Height: 5'5"

Have you considered calorie counting? I used to feel like you, but as soon as I started counting my calories the weight has come off pretty easily so far. I stopped for a couple weeks and my weight loss stalled. I started again, and the weight started coming off again. I swear by it!

Exercising is great but I used to exercise a lot and then get frustrated that I wasn't losing weight. I have finally realized that exercise alone won't help me lose weight. You need to eat to lose weight and exercise for fitness.

Best of luck to you!
shutterbugmama84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 222/214/145

Height: 5'6"

Hi again,

Thank you for your responses.

Yeah, I have tried calorie counting...and weight watchers...and putting pics on my fridge...and writing a food journal...and writing lists of why I want to get to my goal...and hanging a "goal outfit" on my bedroom wall...and starting a bank account for a new wardrobe...and cleanses...and low carb...etc.

*sigh*

I do well for the first week or two and as soon as I don't see a change on the scale by the time I'm hoping to, I head right for carbtown and don't look back for a couple of days...and then the weight goes up and then the cycle begins again...

I stand in my own way and I don't know why. My trainer tells me I know what I'm doing and that I'm really strong and a "trainer's dream" because of my knowledge and strength...but there is a mental block here and I don't know how to get passed it...I think he's onto something with changing things slowly...just focusing on a few changes but then not expecting too much (which is what I'm not doing well)...
lynncharlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 276/182/160

Height: 5'8

I know how frustrating it can be when you aren't seeing the results you are working for and should be seeing! For me, stress is a definite factor. If I'm obsessing so much about it, I don't lose as well as when I simply focus on the healthy changes I'm making and steps I'm taking for a new, positive me.

The only other advice I can offer you is the same thing I tell myself: nothing worth having is ever easy. Also the old cliche, the weight didn't come on quickly so it won't come off quickly.

Hang in there! You can and will see the results you want! Persevere, you're worth it!
StrangeJourney is offline   Reply With Quote