Weight Loss Support - Lightheadedness

View Full Version : Lightheadedness

Matisse
07-22-2013, 06:21 PM
Hello all,

I do not think this problem is serious enough to put it in the "dieting with obstacles" thread, so here it is.

I started a diet four days ago, and since I wanted quick results at the beginning, it is a calorie deprived diet. Last night, I felt dizzy for a moment.

This morning I did thirty minutes of a spinning class, which made me push harder than I have in a long time, and since then I have been feeling dizzy.

I have a history of anemia, a problem that may have been aggravated by poor food choices in the last month. It's also my TOM which does not help.

I will up my calorie intake to 1 200 cal because the trade-off of going lower is not worth it, and it seems that I should discuss those issues with a doctor, but in the meantime, I wonder if many dieters go through these symptoms. Is it a necessary discomfort or are there ways to avoid it?

Furthermore, can we differentiate between these problems?

- Low blood sugar
- Not enough calories
- Iron deficiency

Thank you.

tehshort1
07-22-2013, 06:46 PM
I would highly recommend talking with your doctor as this could be many different issues.

That being said, I have had this happen to me a few times and its usually because I haven't eaten enough. I found that breaking my meals into 4-5 small meals made the world of a difference. Never underestimate the power of a snack!

PUPMOM5
07-22-2013, 07:44 PM
If you were under 1200, that could be the culprit. I find that if I don't eat at least 1200-1400 (depends on level of activity) then I get dizzy myself.

But yes, you should see a doctor.

dstalksalot
07-22-2013, 09:19 PM
After weight loss, I get dizzy if I stand to quickly. Especially if I am working out. I make a natural gatoraid with a bit of salt, lemon, baking soda and honey that helps, I also be sure to eat a bit of protean after my workouts. My blood pressure is on the low normal side so I need to keep an eye on it.

StrangeJourney
07-24-2013, 01:21 AM
I agree with those that said see a doctor, especially if it continues. The restricted calorie plan you're on might not be enough for your activity level ( a spinning class can be pretty intense).

If you're comfortable with your calorie intake, maybe reduce your workouts to some walking and see how that goes?

Matisse
07-24-2013, 01:37 AM
Thanks for all the replies. You guys are so helpful. This is the first time I have diet buddies and it so much appreciated.

This morning, I did the same spinning class and felt lightheaded too but it did not last all day. Only a few hours.

My breakfast had no fruit and tomorrow I will add it so I can have quick energy fuel for my body. We will if this does the trick.

The more I think about it, the more I do not believe that it's a low blood pressure issue. I have never been diagnosed with that problem, thankfully. Taking iron supplements cannot do me wrong. That, I am certain.

_______

dstalksalot -

Could I have your recipe for natural gatorade, please? I had no idea baking soda was needed. Thank you.

_______

StrangeJourney -

You are right. My lightheadedness comes from the intensity of the workout. If I go at a slower and steady pace, I feel fine. I still want to push myself a little, but not too much, out of my comfort zone, though.