Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

Default afraid to call my doc

I can't believe my anxiety is this bad, but I don't know what to do about it. I've been taking lexapro for a couple of years now for my depression and anxiety. Awhile back my doc talked about switching to celexa to save some money... basically the same active ingredient, blah blah blah. I ended up getting health insurance (finally, yey!) and decided to stick with the lexapro since it was working for me.

So the last time I went in for a checkup and refill on the lexapro everything as ok but I went to pick it up at the pharmacy and it was celexa. I was about to head out of town so I figured, whatever, I'll just take it. I think my doc just looked back at our chart convo and wrote the wrong drug but they're basically the same. Now I'm back from vacay and let me tell you the celexa is NOT working like lexapro did. I know I need to call my doc about it but I'm frozen and debilitated at the thought of having to pick up the phone and talk to someone about this. It's totally ridiculous but I just can't do it... think I'm losing it!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

This is not in your head. They are two different drugs, and it's not uncommon for one drug to work better than another. If you have a routine to calm down- try that. If you have something you take for acute anxiety, such as valium or xanax, try that. Then call your doc. There's nothing to be ashamed or afraid of- this drug isn't working for you.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #3  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

If you're having the trouble making the call, have a friend make it for you, while you're there. If you're on speaker phone, they'll be able to talk to your friend (HIPPA) and your friend can read out loud what you've written.

Alternatively, you (or your friend) could call the pharmacy and they'll call the doctor. It depends on which call you think will be harder.

Good luck.
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the support! Called!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #5  

Great job Iris! Don't be afraid and be positive. Do a daily relaxation practice, (i.e, may in in the form of yoga) in the morning to help relieve symptoms of depression, stress, and boost feelings of joy and well-being within yourself.
micheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

lexapro [escitalopram] and celexa [citalopram] are essentially the same drug, but the manufacturer played with the celexa to change the way it's metabolised in the body. A LOT of people do better with one form than with the other.

so, no, you're not nuts. really glad you made the call.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Glad you called! to you!
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote