Weight Loss Surgery - Week of 6-16.....WLS Chat!

View Full Version : Week of 6-16.....WLS Chat!

debkay
06-16-2003, 07:21 AM
It 's a new week, how is everyone doing?

Just wanted to get us started, I need to go run through the shower. My daughter has a doctor visit this AM, she is getting a physical.

Back a little later

jiffypop
06-16-2003, 12:12 PM
is she getting a physical for her trip to her grandparents????????

more later, i hope.... honest!!!! well, at least that's my goal.

clearancequeenie
06-16-2003, 01:35 PM
Im doing great. No weight loss this morning . I am 13 weeks today.. :( .. I plan on going to my water aerobics class at 5 for two classes and might stay for a half out of fit swim..

loranden
06-16-2003, 01:39 PM
I'M BACKKKKKK!!!!!! :wave:

After pigging out all weekend while Bri was here, I got right back on my program this morning--I can assess the damage when I do my weigh in Wednesday and also take that from there.

The weekend was great. Brian's flight came in on time Friday night, but it had taken nearly an hour and a half to get through all the security checks. Good thing we weren't in any hurry, but better safe then sorry in that matter :) Now mind you this guy is only 5'8 and 180 pounds, but the minute he spied me, he comes over, gives me this bear hug, then proceeds to PICK ME UP OFF THE FLOOR! :yikes: It's a wonder the guy didn't give himself a hernia.

We mostly stayed in Friday evening; I figured Bri was pretty tuckered out from the flight and going through security checks at airports, so my friends Siobhan and Marie came by with Marie's dh and we had an impromptu cookout. We were up yakking till 4 AM, before Bri sacked out; he looked so darn cute snoozing away on the couch, I didn't have the heart to wake him to go back to his hotel. :angel:

Saturday, we went to the Arts Festival, mostly to people watch and take in the exhibits, then Saturday night, we went out to eat and then to a karaoke place. Sweet and a cutie pie he may be, Brian cannot sing worth a hill of beans!:lol: BUT...it's the thought that counts.:D

Yesterday, Brian checked out of his hotel, then we stayed in at my place and watched the race; then went to the pizza joint up the street for a bite before heading back to the airport again. Once again, the security check thing before he could get on the plane.

And yes...for anyone that is curious, we did a lot of kissing too:D

debkay
06-16-2003, 02:28 PM
Lori, glad your weekend went well.

Jiff the check up is just cause she needs one. She will be fine at G'ma and G'pa's....she will be fine at G'ma and G'pa's......does it get better the more I say it :rolleyes:

Cathie hope your class went well. and where in GA are you?

daughter is making choc chip cookies....which I have no problem staying away from, it's the batter that gets me everytime. That's why I plan to stay right here, on the computer, until she is finished.

jiffypop
06-16-2003, 02:42 PM
hmmmm. i was hoping to see some news of a SISTERLY nature here... guess we'll all have to be patient....

peach pit
06-16-2003, 08:52 PM
Yes, you have to be patient, but YES Lori....I am glad you added that kissing part because I WAS curious!!!!

glad it went well!!!

Cathy, good to see you!

Debkay, I can not tell you how proud I am of you for staying out of that darn cookie batter!!!!

I'll have to keep this short 'cause nakey wild child just came down the stairs.

Well, it's like this: I got a letter today from the insurance company. I read the letter, then lost the letter and spent the day with my head bent over so as not to faint. When dh came home, I made him read the letter. He smiled. I fainted.

I've been approved for Aug 11th.

:yikes:

....and Debkay, those diamonds earings??????? I kerplunked right on the floor after reading that!!!!!

off to chase wild child

peach

justprazn2
06-16-2003, 11:59 PM
Hey all ... don't talk about kissing on this board ... remember ... some of us are in the midst of a DIVORCE. Just kidding ... talk away ... I'll just go broke buying CDs from the guy at the mall. Maybe that's his MO --- he flatters wealthy older women so that they come in and buy his CDs. Hmmmmm ... never thought about that one. But ... too bad for him ... I'm broke.

Well ... the big news ... I got on the scale today and I am only 9 lbs away from hitting the big 100!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it.
I will hit it within the next few weeks ... and I am almost 5 months out. . . how exciting is that? The girlfriends and I have decided to have a big smashing time on the town to celebrate the loss of an entire person from my body!

Leanna

debkay
06-17-2003, 06:49 AM
PEACHIES APPROVED!!!!!!! :bravo: :cp: :twirly: :cloud9: :dancer: :cb:

Okay, are you just a wee bit excited?? I'm excited for you.........and you weren't sure you would get approved! WOW, our next chick meet will be with a bunch of smokin' skinny chicks! :D:D Not smokin as in puff, puff, but smokin as in HOT BABES!!!!!!!

Leanne 100 pounds!!! :dance: :dance: You deserve to celebrate that one!!

It rained so hard here last night, in the middle of the night! I thought the house was going to wash away.

Walking today with Miss Hazel and the two cute guys we always take with us on late mornings! Don't worry, we aren't cheating on the hubbies.......Hazel's two babies come with us, she gets an extra workout pushing a double stroller. They eat breakfast in the stroller and we talk and walk! What could be better :D

Off for more coffee, have a good one all and peachie I'm so glad for you!!!!!!!

clearancequeenie
06-17-2003, 02:00 PM
Im in Kingsland Georgia. Its about 45 miles north of Jacksonville Fla...:smug:

Chickadee
06-17-2003, 03:50 PM
Wow Peach. That's very exciting (and scary!) news. Good for you. Now just remember to breathe and stop fainting all over the place!
Chickadee

peach pit
06-17-2003, 06:46 PM
Leanna! congrats on the weight loss!!!!! You are doing super! What kind of cds are you buying? Lately Bruce and beach music has been calling my name and making me feel better!

Boy, Debkay and Hazel, it seems like just yesterstay I was pushing that double stroller around BUT today my baby turns 10! How did that happen? He is off at baseball practice and mom and Jiff (who is not feeling too terrific) will be over later for coffee and cake.

did I say cake?
did I say icecream?

nope not me :0

Chickadee, I will admit that when I opened the letter and read it yesterday that I made such ghastly noises that my mom thought it was bad news. I really didn't think that I would be approved. Perhaps I didn't want to set myself up for the disappointment of another failed attempt at losing weight. So I shoved the letter aside with my ever favorite tara tara tara gone with the wind I'll never go hungry again thing....I am not a fiddle dee dee kind of gal.

BUT! today I feel pretty swell about the whole deal. I am not yipping and yahooing though. I just think it is the smart thing to do. Perhaps it had something to do with nakey wild child who, as I was typing last night was smashing a glass chess set to smithereens. I need to keep up with him, get in shape and quite honestly I need to become a kick butt self defense kind of gal.

gee....I guess I should change his meds too! That will come tomorrow.

fiddle dee dee

peach

Chickadee
06-18-2003, 04:57 PM
****NEWS FLASH****
Colorado is not in the middle of a drought like they keep telling us on the news!

I'm so freakin' tired of rain. I think I'm going to start growing mold! It's so wet here (remember, I'm in Colorado - a supposedly dry, arid state) I've started calling my DH and DS my mushrooms . . . you know, 'cause they're fungis (fun guys!) Sorry, I'm trying to cheer myself up. We got rained out, again, in our softball game last night. And we were beating a really good team too. It's all icky and humid out right now and the Rockies game we're going to tonight will probably be soggy too. Yes, I'd like cheese with my whine!

I just got off the phone with Kaiser. I'm really beginning to hate them. I think you were right Hazel. I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for information on the new, reorganized weight-loss surgery program. Well, they are still developing it and have no clue when they will be able to get me info. That's the same thing they told me six weeks ago. Noboy will give me any concrete info. I'm so frustrated with them. I'm looking at changing insurance companies, but can't do it until December.

I need to do something to cheer myself up. Quick, someone write me a limerick!

Your soggy, drippy, moldy
Chickadee

peach pit
06-18-2003, 05:09 PM
can it be about baseball, fungis and moldies?
who come down with the sniffles and coldies?
who can't play the game
because they are lame
but are just fine for all of the oldies?

cheer up chickadee...wishing you sunshine and cracker jacks and JUST for ONE night a big WIN.

peach

debkay
06-18-2003, 06:07 PM
:lol: peachie

Chickadee.......did ya notice how she said just for one night........she is so generous!!

jiffypop
06-18-2003, 08:12 PM
chickadee.... here's a question for kaiser ... what are they doing with all the people who were approved before the reorganization? have they been completely stopped/delayed??? under what conditions would they allow someone to be approved during this reorganization?

it's unconscionable that they'd hold up so many people for so many weeks while they had their internal debate. there MUST be a window in there somewhere!!!

NOW. could i babble about the french chef?????

mom and her 95 year old friend and i walked into his restaurant, and there was no one there! His lovely daughter waited on us, and he sat with us between visits to the kitchen. and one of the first things he said [and repeated several times during the evening] was that he'd been divorced for more than 20 years and was not involved with anyone.

since then, mom and i [with or without her friend] have been back there,. and i've even gone there alone a couple of times. i brought him some rhubarb, and he made mom a rhubarb pie.

when i've been there alone, he's sat and talked with me, with his entire body facing me [body language alert!!!!]. he has asked me questions, and listened to the answers. kisses on the cheek. hugs. even that hug that ran down my entire back!

now ladies. and lurkers. this is the first man in about 20 years that i've actually been interested in!!!! AND i'm too scared to do anything about it!!! in fact, i have NO CLUE what to do!!!!

so, next week, some friends are coming to dinner there, and others in july. to scope him out and to have a good dinner [is it significant that i haven't tossed a single meal that i've had there????]

he's taller than i am, even when i wear heels. he's been in this country for about 30 years. he owns the restaurant and the land, and a farm in an expensive community in western nj. two of his three children work with him, and he's planning to open another restaurant that his daughter will run.

he's recently had hernia surgery, so he's a bit under the weather at the moment. i made an extremely bold move and suggested that, when he feels up to it, we take his dog and my dog and go hiking and pick wild blueberries. his response: we'll have to be careful. if we fall and get a boo-boo, who will kiss it and make it better. my answer: we won't have to worry. the dogs will take care of it.

oh, there's more. but i don't want to bore you all... what'll i do??? WHAT SHOULD I DO???? maybe i should just walk away from this?? but he seems like such a warm, nurturing soul..

Ruthxxx
06-19-2003, 05:52 AM
Tell the "more", Jiff. This is very exciting. He sounds like a winner. Don't even think of just walking away.

When are the NJ blueberries ripe? I'll sneak down and scope him out. (He isn't named Raoul perchance, is he? He has been missing since Peachie had him last. Hmmmm.)

debkay
06-19-2003, 06:54 AM
I want the "more" too Jiff!! My heart was going a-flutter while I was reading about you and your Chef.

WALK AWAY...............NO!!!!!!

If he doesn't soon make a move........what have you got to lose by being bold and suggesting an evening out together.

Oh Jiff, I'm excited for you!

This morning I will spend the morning getting daughter ready for her Senior portraits. I need hairspray.......must plaster that hair in humid GA. :rolleyes:

Hazel and I checked out Curves yesterday. I think we are going to join in July, after I get back from VA. We do plenty of walking, but I think we need the resistance workout too. I wasn't totally impressed with the lady who runs it..........she spots two fat chicks (us) and starts talking about this wonderful 6-week diet class that is taught at another location.

I'm off to do a seperate whine post.

RobinW
06-19-2003, 09:27 AM
Wow, there is lots happening over here, I havent lurked in over a week....

Peachie Congratulations on your surgery date!!! Im so happy for you!

Jiff.......20yrs eh? Walk away? No I dont think so! :nono: Thats about all the advice I can give. Im one of those people when a man flirts with me, its usually 2 or 3 days later I realized "Hey that guy hit on me?!?!?!" Mind you hubby spots it immediately and promptly informs me that I was hit on :lol:

Enjoy it Jiff, and see what happens. This could be the beginning of something wonderful. Maybe one of your friends might suggest to "chef" that he take you out for coffee....or something. Or even your mother might mention it, you know mothers are known for meddling :D

Robin :wave:

GinaMarie
06-19-2003, 09:39 AM
I also want more Jiff! You got my heart beating in the morning which is NOT an easy thing to do!

I say stick with it! Keep going, keep suggesting, get him out for a walk and a talk!

This is all so very exciting!
Gina

peach pit
06-19-2003, 09:42 AM
Thanks Robin!!!! I think mom may be more interested in desert!!! BUT I would be MORE than happy to meddle!

Jiff, are you having URGES???????? Please let me know ASAP so I can go to the library and pick up that book about the bunnies and safe reproduction!!! The kidlets want to know if he can make pizza and put together a peanut butter (no jelly) sandwich. They don't want fancy french bread...wonder only. I personally am more interested in getting his credit card status, financial status and his health records.

Does he make freedom fries?
Does he freedom kiss?
Are you considering sharing a bathroom with this man?

Your brother will most likely be here in July. Bring him over to meet the family.

oh boy.
your eye is twitching.

The big kid is out of school and this is the little guy's last day (until his summer program). Mom, the big kid and I will pick him up early at his end of year barb b que. Then the REAL fun begins. Waiting for the psyche doc to call re the little kids meds and wacky behavior. Could someone tell me why he has to touch EVERY door with his elbow before he passes it?

Can't wait till the french chef meets the little kid.

have a good one!
peach

L144S
06-19-2003, 09:57 AM
:wave: Lurking again...

PP Congrats! it has been a long wait....I hope the Doc adjusts little kids meds

Jiff WOW how exciting!!!I think you should invite him homke for a meal YOU cook for him, what a nice trat that would be...send MOM to Peachies and see how it goes. An after dinner stroll with the doggies and who knows!

This has to be your choice, if you have too many people check him out you will never have made the choice yourself. Isn't amazing you can make choices all day long and feel confident about it, but for personal issues we fall apart?

You have lots of chicks in the hen house who have great advice and are so proud of you...Have fun!
-L

loranden
06-19-2003, 01:48 PM
CONGRATS ON YOUR APPROVAL PEACHIE!!!!! :cb: :cp: :bravo: :balloons:

Jiffy: 20 years? Ahh...my dear, life is too short; enjoy the admiration and what it has to offer. I think you not tossing the food at that particular restaurant and the handsome chef facing you the entire time seem like good omens to me! Go for it! :love:

Chickadee
06-19-2003, 03:17 PM
That was exactly what I needed Peach! And win they did - rain, wind and all. Can I have a few more wins please?

The Rockies played ball in the rain,
We sat through it - yes we're insane.
As we soaked to the bone,
I started to moan,
And spouted off words quite profane!

Yeah, that was a really bad one. No, I'm not sorry!

Jif - Walk away? I think not. This fella sounds interested. Just make sure that if you invite him over for a little bite (food, not you - or then again :D ) you don't feed him your favorite protein drink in a fancy glass! Keep sharing details with us. Also, good questions for Kaiser. I think I'll just find out the answers to those the next time I bug them.

Chickadee

dottiejon
06-19-2003, 09:41 PM
Jiff, I'd say, try the boullibaise.

jiffypop
06-19-2003, 09:51 PM
<SIGH> thank you all!!! even peachie... ok. i won't run, but i also won't cook.

and lorie... i've dated other men over the past 20 years, but they never actually interested me. this one is very very different. and that's probably a good thing.

and i'm glad things are going so well with brian. but i have to admit it's a little strange seeing his face as your avatar, instead of your own lovely one,. i'll get used to it. but he'd better not be mean to you!!!!!

debkay
06-20-2003, 05:17 AM
Good early, early Friday morning!

Jiff I'm looking forward to the next chapter in your romance.

I just feel the need to share.........since Hazel and I started walking, sometime during the first part of May. I have lost 20 pounds.......now mind you some of that was a little bit of a regain from letting bad eating habits creep slowly back into my life.

:dancer: I haven't been this "light" since I became pg with my first son, and he's 22!

Hazel and I are walking today and walking late with our two fellas. We are walking late cause we have been window shopping and want to be there when the stores open to browse.

have a great day.......off for more coffee. I think I will need gallons today.

jiffypop
06-20-2003, 07:59 AM
deb... you are my IDOL!!!! earrings and all!!!!

BUT if you and hazel turn your walking into more serious shopping, will that actually burn off the same number of calories? i guess if you walked REALLY FAST from one store to another that it would count as intervals...

still nursing this cold. just as well. since i don't want to go to work anyway and really really need a break from THEM.

today? hmmmmm. will be quiet. but i do want to go over to the hahnes outlet and pick up a t shirt for a friend. and maybe lunch at a french restaurant????

GinaMarie
06-20-2003, 09:42 AM
Personally, shopping gets my heart going! I love it! Finding that just right thing gives me a rush! It is fine excercise!

Do you think I have a problem???
Gina

debkay
06-20-2003, 11:53 AM
Jiff......lunch at a french restraunt.......we will be waiting for the update.

Gina......I don't see a problem.....shopping is a great exercise.

The only thing I purchased was a little angel/kittie key chain for my daughter. We were looking at the bathing suits in Dillards (a somewhat pricey store) VERY NICE!! A good sale, but still a little more than I want to pay. But it is so fun to look at something and think, that would fit me, and I like it. Instead of, it's my size, I don't like it, but it's the only thing that fits.

GinaMarie
06-20-2003, 02:31 PM
Bravo Deb! That is a GREAT feeling!
G

LindaBC
06-21-2003, 02:30 AM
I just came in here to search out Jiff's Frenchman...(would he now be called a Freedomman?) Anyhow, he sounds divine to me. Mind you, it's been at least a century since anybody hit on me...maybe two centuries. I'd probably pass out from shock.

Just a question...have all you gals had weight loss surgery? That is what this thread is about, isn't it? Just curious. I see a lot of familiar faces here but didn't realize you'd all had the old nip and tuck done.

debkay
06-21-2003, 05:32 AM
:wave: Hi Linda! We are all waiting for the update about the french chef.

And....about your second question. I think you know Jiff and I had the surgery in Jan 02. I think there are three faces you know, and they are in various stages of the process......from approved........to getting p'od at the insurance company........to just getting the ball rolling.

I'm up at o-dark-thirty again this morning. Maybe I can sleep in tomorrow morning. :rolleyes:

My hubby will leave to take our daughter to the airport at 7:30. We packed her luggage yesterday. In the middle of packing she decides, and with good reason, her undies are a little to old. Off to Target goes ole Mom to buy new undies. Oh, what we do for our children. But she's packed and ready to go.......now am I ready for her to go.......NO, but I'm a big girl I'll get over it.

Support group meeting today, looking forward to it.

Off for more coffee and to get the day rolling.

GinaMarie
06-21-2003, 09:08 AM
Hi Linda! Good to see you!
G

jiffypop
06-21-2003, 06:45 PM
oh my. such a responsibility! an update??? hmmm. well. lunch was had yesterday, but he was too busy to hang out. except for a few moments at the end, when he said something that i misunderstood and was upset about ALL NIGHT.

and i left a message for him this morning that i wanted to talk with him, and he called me back! this is the first contact that he's actually made, and we had a nice chat. i told him what i was upset about, he told me what i hadn't actually heard, and all is well.

i also told him that he was the first man i'd been actually interested in in many years, and he laughed very heartilY!!!! SO of course, i said that i could stop.. and he said NO NO NO. he was laughing because he was happy!

soooooo. i think this might actually be FUN!!!! something GOOD!!!!

oh and he also said that i looked so much better than i had looked when we first met [a month ago?]. he said my color was better, and it was probably all the hiking i'd been doing. wasn'[t that nice?

and he said that he wants to go out, but he's working so much. he's planning to fix that...

all in all... a great conversation! i'm actually relaxed and smiling!

and yes, linda... several of us have had the surgery.. and actually, i have an appt next month with the plastic surgeon to discuss the real 'nip and tuck.;' although, after losing more than 270 pounds, it's more like 'cut and fold.' with a major puppy hike as well.

deb: BREATHE. it'll be ok. i promise. it's not a long flight. go ahead. BREATHE!!!!

debkay
06-21-2003, 06:57 PM
Jiff it's sounding more and more like there could be romance in the air. :dancer: So glad for you.

I'm okay Jiff, she arrived safe and sound, Uncle Jimmy (hubby's brother) was at the gate on the other end waiting for her. Talked to her a little while ago, she was playing with her 1yo and 3yo cousins.........yea :rolleyes: or better yet :lol: Uncle Jimmy who is only 2 years younger than my husband has two very young children. Grandma and Grandpa will pick the daughter up tomorrow to spend the week with them.

peach pit
06-21-2003, 07:14 PM
:wave: Hey Linda! Always good to see you! i have an approved surgery date of August 11th.

Debkay, glad to hear that your daughter made it safe and sound. And congrats on the bathing suit hunting...hopefully next year I'll be in the market for one.

I'm thinking a thong.

.....Jiff....you forgot the part about stopping to see me and how I gave you a reality check.

Did you guys know that jiff turns the big 50 on Wednesday? I'll take her to the french restaurant and check out the chef and report back. I'll let you know if they get all droolie and googlie eyed.

what are sisters for?

Extrememly quiet here. Dh and the big kid are in Philly for the weekend at a wrestling camp, so it is just me and the little guy. I did up his meds and he has been pretty darn good. We will clean up a bit in a little while and then have a night of go fish, uno, guess who and other games.

Got the new Harry Potter Book!!!! yahoooooo

Lots and lots of rain...wondering about the river banks.

have a good one.

peach

ageoldie
06-21-2003, 09:56 PM
I have survived Day 3 ofthe two week road trip with ole Alvin AND my mom!!! I am in a mote room in Danbury CT as I write this.

DebKay & Hazel, I wved as we went through Atlanta Friday morning, did you see me?

Jiff & Peach !!! I spent halpthe day driving around and around New Jersey today! We had a nice lunch in a little town called Cherry Hill and then about two hours late, we were there again? And of cours, even though ole Alvn was driving, it ws my fault because I had all the maps!!!

Which brins me to the main topic of this post. WHY DOES EVERYTHING HAVE TO BE THEI IDEA??? After almost a year from his second surgery when he decided HE knows more than the dotors and the experts (like JIF) HE has decided to try a low carb diet!!! He has been stuck on -230 pounds for about 2 months now, and he's decidd after we get back home, he's going to go on a low carb plan!, !! Dudh!!!

I really think that it may be too late for him because I can see he has fallen into all of his old bad eating habits. Last night we were in Richmond VA and when I got up I say he had drank two cokes and eaten a whole package of cookies during the time I was asleep. I'll admit that the package of cookies was a small package, but it was the fat that he ate them during the nigh that upset me.

Anyway we'll see ow he does when we get back
home.

And Jiff: If you will tell me where to find this Frenchman I'll try to check him out while I up here roaming around the northeast!

jiffypop
06-22-2003, 07:47 AM
barb!!!!!! YOU WERE IN JOISY AND DIDN'T TELL US????? we could have headed you off somewhere between cherry hill and connecticut!!! in fact, we're just off route 287 about 10 miles south of the new york state line!!!!!!

and old alvin HAS to stop the soda... that's the single worst thing for us, i think. i've heard that it expands the pouch and destroys the lining. even diet soda. but when you add in the sugar, you're drinking your calories and that's also very very bad, since they tend to be the ones you don't think about.

and thank you for thinking i'm an expert.. i'm not. it's just that i was so well trained by some people who are the real experts.

barb... do you and old alvin have any plans on wednesday??? <batting eyelashes furiously>? we know a restaurant... with a french chef... great food.... hmmmmm????????

on other topics. yes. peachie did give me a reality check. her message: if he didn't call back he was a pig. but he DID call back!!!!

AND the sinus infection is clearing up, although not quickly enough for my disposition. laundry is in... in fact.. gotta go switch it out and do the next one!!!

glad your baby is safe and sound, deb...

loranden
06-22-2003, 03:14 PM
Hi, Linda, glad you joined us chit chatters! :wave:

I am considering having WLS surgery done; coming to this board was the best thing I did, because both this board and ObesityHelp.com answered a lot of questions. I have an initial consultation with a weight loss surgeon in Pittsburgh on August 25; meanwhile, I am doing 1500 calories/35 g of fat a day; I have dropped so far from my peak weight of 351 (as of March 1, 2003) to my present weight of 313 (as of June 18, 2003)--and got a nice young man in the process! Go figure!

Jiff--WooHoo!!!! Glad things with you and the Frenchman are progressing nicely!:love: