100 lb. Club - Are you as tall as you say?

View Full Version : Are you as tall as you say?

Only Believe
07-19-2013, 12:02 PM
I thought I was 5'9 and when I checked my BMI a little bit ago, I was soooo thrilled to see at my current weight I was obese and no longer morbidly obese.
Then I started wondering if I really am as tall as I think I am. I got hubby to help me check, and I'm an inch shorter!! I had to correct it on my profile and the cold hard reality hit me that I'm still considered morbidly obese!
Are you really as tall as you think?

zoesmom
07-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Yep. :) I've been 5'6 since fifth grade. I check often because it is hard to believe I stopped growing at that tender of an age. If anything, I am a wee bit taller, but not enough to really count. Last time I measured was roughly 8 months ago and I was 5'6 and 1/8

Psychic
07-19-2013, 12:17 PM
I got obsessed with measuring my height and getting it accurate not too long ago. I had my dad measure me with a measuring tape and he said I was between 5'4" and 5'5". I work at a school, so I went in the nurses office and used the height bar on the scale to get it accurate. I am about 1/16 of an inch shorter than 5'5", so I'm just going to say that I'm 5'5".

bethFromDayton
07-19-2013, 12:27 PM
My profile says 5'2". I've already previously said I was 5'1", but I upped it because I couldn't stand the BMI numbers for 5'1". However, I'm actually 5'1.5", so I guess I could round either way.

Doomkitty
07-19-2013, 12:42 PM
I have no clue how tall I am. My doctor told me I was 5'3.5" when I was about 17. Then, somewhere along the line, that number started creeping down towards 5'2"...before getting a bump up to 5'3". So that's what I say, it makes the most sense. I think a former roommate is 5'0" and I've got enough inches on her that I really don't think I'm 5'2"...

pnkrckpixikat
07-19-2013, 12:51 PM
I've recently been obsessing over this very subject lol when I got to get my depo shot every 3 months they do height and weight, at lower weights it ranges from 5'9.5 to 5'9.75 at higher weights it ranges from 5'9 to 5'9.25. But this last visit (to a new location since I was on vacation) listed me at 5'8.75. so i freaked out for a few days before dismissing it as a mistake. I still haven't measured myself yet tho.

HeidiNicole
07-19-2013, 12:59 PM
I'm 5'8 1/4 and I just say 5'8

kaplods
07-19-2013, 01:36 PM
I round to the nearest inch. I was rounding up to 5'7" as I was only a quarter inch shy. When I lost a quarter inch a couple years ago, I still felt ok rounding up. When I lost another quarter inch, I had to start rounding down.

I don't mind getting shorter, so long as I can keep a nice, straight spine.

NeeneeKhaleesi
07-19-2013, 01:54 PM
God, yes! When you're as tall as I am, you know for sure. I was a full head taller than my kindergarden class. I was taller than my 3rd grade teacher. I was 5'11" in the 8th grade. I finally topped off at 6'2" when I was 17.

WannaB2cute
07-19-2013, 03:09 PM
My measuring tape says 5ft 1/2 inch. I stand firm on the fack that "it's broken"
I'm 5ft 2in!!

Underwater
07-19-2013, 04:09 PM
I'm always wishing they'll say 5'7 when they check my height at the dr's office. But I've always been 5'6 :(

newleaf123
07-19-2013, 04:23 PM
You know, I've been pondering this question as it relates to BMI ever since I saw my parents last week for the first time in 12 months. My father used to be 6'4" but now my 6'0.5" son is taller than him. So... clearly my father has shrunk quite a bit due to a number of things but mainly aging and accidents that have compressed or otherwise messed up his ankles and vertebrae.

But he is still the same person with still the same body. So what does this mean for his BMI? At 6'4" his BMI was 27.4. Now at 6', his BMI is 30.5. He has gone from being overweight to obese, despite not having gained weight and despite not looking any different. Another example of imperfect BMI -- it seems like there should be an age variable that goes along with it for elderly people, just like there is an age variable for children.

KatMarie
07-19-2013, 04:41 PM
I used to be 5'8 but had hysterectomy young and degenerative back disease and shrunk to 5'6. But after losing over 200 pounds I gained 1/2 an inch! Hmmm, I need to measure again, maybe I've gained some more height... It's been a year.
Dang it's 5'6. But my back is killing me right now so that could be why. :-(

Only Believe
07-19-2013, 05:09 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies.
I have back problems and sometimes don't stand all the way straight but I stood as straight as I could while hubby measured me. I sure thought I was taller. At least I was the last time I was measured.
It's funny that I suddenly wish I were taller, because when I was younger I always wished to be shorter.:lol:

pnkrckpixikat
07-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies.
I have back problems and sometimes don't stand all the way straight but I stood as straight as I could while hubby measured me. I sure thought I was taller. At least I was the last time I was measured.
It's funny that I suddenly wish I were taller, because when I was younger I always wished to be shorter.:lol:

as you lose you may gain some height :)

Tuscany
07-19-2013, 05:39 PM
I was 5'7" when I was younger (35 or so years ago), but I'm only 5'5" now (well, actually 5'5.5", but I don't count the half inch)...no back problems...just aging I guess.

Mozzy
07-19-2013, 08:42 PM
I'm a hair over 5"5' so I just say 5"5'

Stars
07-19-2013, 09:03 PM
I was told 5'5", 5'4" and 5'3 1/2 so I always go with 5'3. I am pretty sure that's accurate.

olehcat
07-19-2013, 09:28 PM
hmm...I've been measured anything from 5'1 3/4" to 5'2 3/4" at the doctor's office, so I just usually say 5'2 1/2"!!

Matisse
07-19-2013, 11:07 PM
I remember being between 5'3" and 5'4" when I was a teenager. Yesterday, I looked on my driver's license and it's 160 cm which is 5'3".

I hate the difference it makes on the BMI. In the past months, I have disillusioned myself into thinking that I was a crash diet away from an healthy BMI. Yesterday, it was fifteen pounds away which will take some consistency and effort.

CherryChan
07-19-2013, 11:15 PM
i shrunk by 1 cm recently... *depressed*
apparently we really shrunk when we get older...

punkrocksong
07-20-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm 5'8 and 3/4 so I say I'm 5'9 - my doctor measured me at my first visit several months ago and said I was 5'7 1/2, but then when I went in yesterday I was 5'8 and almost 3/4. I've been saying I'm 5'9 for 15 years, I think I'll just stick with that for now.

Aclai4067
07-20-2013, 12:49 PM
My measuring tape says 5ft 1/2 inch. I stand firm on the fack that "it's broken"
I'm 5ft 2in!!

Mine's "broken" too! I'd measured at 5'8 throughout my late teens and early 20s. About 2 years ago, I measured myself at 5'7.5". It's not a huge difference, but I refuse to accept it. I'm certainly not old enough to be shrinking.

ninae
07-20-2013, 02:22 PM
For a long time I thought I was 5'10" - then I got measured at the gym and found out I was 5'9". Bit of a bummer, but what can you do?

alyssarof2012
07-21-2013, 04:44 AM
With my shoes on I'm like 5'2 and a 1/2. Without shoes I just hit the 5'2 mark. :) Have been this height since, like, 10th grade (16).

AwShucks
07-21-2013, 12:44 PM
i shrunk by 1 cm recently... *depressed*
apparently we really shrunk when we get older...

My 79 yr old mom has back problems, and she's always saying how she just "shrunk." She was always a taller woman - 5'8, and she's about eye to eye with me right now, and I'm 5'5. I know she doesn't/can't stand up straight, but like the other poster that mentioned her elderly father -- it's not like she chopped off 3 inches of leg! ha! All of the internal structure is there, so I wouldn't think her BMI has changed any, just based on her eventual change in height.

I've had barre exercise classes led by a former all-american diver, and he insists that you can "stretch" yourself to gain height -- that your flexibility has a lot to do with it. (not gaining several inches, but perhaps fractions) Of course, he's pretty tall, and he's super flexible. I'm working on my own flexibility, because it seems like a good thing to have as one gets older, along with good balance and cardiovascular condition. Plus, it just feels good!

Oh, and don't forget about gravity. I found out a while back that gravity is not only affecting my chin and my chest, but also my eyeballs! Doctor says my astigmatism will never get any better as I age, unlike some folks, who have it disappear. Seems that gravity is squishing my eyeballs, too!:dizzy:

GlamourGirl827
07-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Haha! That's why my profile says 5'6" on a good day!! I always come in like a 1/4 inch under, although it tends to get rounded up. I measured myself about a year ago and I was 5'5" and a 1/2 inch (lost a 1/4 inch?) ...but it was on carpeting and done sloppily, so idk...lol

sontaikle
07-21-2013, 01:46 PM
I'm slightly under 5'3" and I just measured myself again because of this thread and I still clock in at that height.

I was just under 5'2" for the longest time (or I thought I was) but after lifting for a while (but before I started really losing a lot of weight) I had a physical and was measured at 5'2.5." I measured myself to make sure and I hit the same height.

After I was close to the weight I am now, I measured myself again and wound up being just under 5'3!" I've heard lifting helps you stand up straighter and thus adds height. I didn't really believe it until I saw these photos of me though:

I'm a little lighter than my highest here (I'm guessing 220ish? More? I don't know):
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-oYEgEgQ0y9E/UNe42yqgEII/AAAAAAAAAEw/pXpZMQLiJMI/s1600/before.jpg

And last year:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-N9zlPofVJLA/UNe5K8cCnOI/AAAAAAAAAE8/IbdivCl756w/s1600/after.jpg

I totally see the difference in my posture that losing weight + lifting made! That's another one of those things you don't notice until you look at photos, I guess :)

Garnet2727
07-21-2013, 02:08 PM
I just had my husband measure me. It's been a few years and I will be turning 50 this year. I'm still 5'7" right on the nose.

merilung
07-22-2013, 02:13 AM
I'm 5'10.5" in reality, but I round down to 5'10" :)

CherryChan
07-22-2013, 03:57 AM
My 79 yr old mom has back problems, and she's always saying how she just "shrunk." She was always a taller woman - 5'8, and she's about eye to eye with me right now, and I'm 5'5. I know she doesn't/can't stand up straight, but like the other poster that mentioned her elderly father -- it's not like she chopped off 3 inches of leg! ha! All of the internal structure is there, so I wouldn't think her BMI has changed any, just based on her eventual change in height.

I've had barre exercise classes led by a former all-american diver, and he insists that you can "stretch" yourself to gain height -- that your flexibility has a lot to do with it. (not gaining several inches, but perhaps fractions) Of course, he's pretty tall, and he's super flexible. I'm working on my own flexibility, because it seems like a good thing to have as one gets older, along with good balance and cardiovascular condition. Plus, it just feels good!

Oh, and don't forget about gravity. I found out a while back that gravity is not only affecting my chin and my chest, but also my eyeballs! Doctor says my astigmatism will never get any better as I age, unlike some folks, who have it disappear. Seems that gravity is squishing my eyeballs, too!:dizzy:
'
I am 32!!! *CRY BLOOD*

indigal
07-22-2013, 06:19 AM
For years I thought myself as 5'8" ... Well I had a physical last year & at the Dr.s office The said I was 5'6" :-(

AlligatorSky
07-22-2013, 07:03 AM
Yeah, well...for the longest time I swore I was 5'2", but turns out I'm not quite that tall, but only by half an inch! haha, I'm very vertically challenged, and very truthfully 5'1.5" :)

KittyKatFan
07-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Yep. I'm exactly 5'8".

Hopegrowsagain
07-23-2013, 05:25 PM
After reading all the replies I guess I will ask to be measured next time I am at Dr. Office-hope I haven't shrunk!!

Nori71
07-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Yep, it's correct. I used to be a tad over 5'7, but now I'm 5'6.5...

shadowclaw
07-24-2013, 02:10 AM
I stopped growing in 7th grade and I was 5' 7 3/4" according to our school nurse. Over the years I've had people measure me to be 5'6", 5'8", 5'9", and one nurse even wrote 5' on my chart (I assume she simply forgot to write in the rest... which I did for her when no one was looking). I go with 5'8" which is what I was most consistently measured at, and is only 1/4 inch more than the 7th grade measurement.

JessLess
07-24-2013, 07:35 AM
I guess you shrink a little when you age. I WAS 5'8", then measured at 5'7" which I now use. Recently I was measured at 5'6". My heels are getting higher and I do not approve. :)

seize the day
07-25-2013, 03:43 PM
I always say I'm 5'4 but I'm actually 5'3 and 3/4s inch... I round up. When I was younger I REALLY wanted to be taller. I'm the shortest of my sisters, and for whatever reason, in my friend group I was shorter than everyone except one girl who was about the same height as I am.

Now, I'm happy I'm a shorty (and in my current friend group I'm not even considered short, more average). After hearing stories about jeans shopping and trying to dance with guys that are your same height/shorter, dresses being dangerously short, etc. from my tall female friends, I think being short/average makes life a little easier, even if I will never have that lean model-esque look.

ainslie
07-26-2013, 11:46 AM
This thread made me decide to measure myself. To my surprise I was actually an inch taller!