Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #1  

Default Any Zoloft Takers??

Wondering if anyone is on Zoloft. I just started about 2 weeks ago and I'm scared to death of it causing weight gain. My depression packed on about 20 lbs through emotional eating, and I'm just hoping that if I stay on track with my eating that it will not make me gain or keep me from losing. I have 39 lbs to lost to reach my Christmas goal! Can anyone relate?
ThisGirlIsOnFire1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #2  

Height: 5'8

Good morning thisgirlisonfire1983
Yeah when Im depressed I can consume a pizza pie and a gallon of ice cream in an hour
I started on zoloft about a month and a half ago and so far I've lost 11lbs.
I guess since everyone's different it affects people differently,but It has definitely cut out my binges and severe moodiness.
I have been exercising too because my brain is in a good place now.

Since you've only been on it for 2 weeks,I'll say continue taking it and continue to exercise. Seeing that you emotionally eat,this probably will work for you

Last edited by Tohisha77; 07-18-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Tohisha77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 175/143/130

Height: 5'4"

I tried zoloft and found it to be very effective and also weight-neutral. Ultimately I stopped due to sexual side effects, but I did not gain and may have lost 1 or 2 lbs on it. I'm like you in that I constantly eat when I'm depressed/anxious.. wish it were the other way around
citygirl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #4  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

^ I had the same side effects My dose was reduced and I now take a welbutrin in the morning instead.

I've been on zoloft for years and I managed to lose a substantial amount of weight on it. I can't say if it would have been easier were I not on it but I managed to make it work.

I'm another emotional eater...
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #5  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I also had those same side effects, that continue to this day even though I'm off of it...or maybe it's because I'm just old now.

Regarding weight though, you can definitely lose weight while on zoloft. It has been known to be a contributor to weight gain though. Since you're aware of that possibility though, you can take steps to keep an eye on yourself and should be fine.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #6  

I'm sure I would have lost weight on it. I took one pill and threw up for 9 times lol...Never again.
mymagicnumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

I used to take zoloft and managed to lose weight while taking it. As Aunty Jam said, maybe the loss would have been easier if I hadn't been on it, but it definitely didn't stop me or make me gain.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #8  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 361/351/300

Height: 5'2"

I just started the generic form of Zoloft 3 days ago. I haven't taken it enough to really notice any side effects, but my doctor reassured me that it's one of the "lower possibility" of side effect antidepressants out there. Hopefully that stands true!
MamaApril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 300/see ticker/165

Height: 5ft 8in

I have been taking it now for 7 months and it has not stopped me from losing 50lbs. My depression was leading to me overeating. And the zoloft helped the depression loads.
CrazyCatWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

Having tried to lose weight both on and off Zoloft, I can say with certainty that for me the Zoloft helps me lose weight. My appetite is significantly reduced on it and it also really, really helps with binge eating. It also changes the way I feel hunger. My stomach stops growling and I don't get hunger pains, if I wait too long in between meals/snacks then I get nauseous.

Just for reference, I've been on it for almost a year and my dose is 100mg.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote