Depression and Weight Issues - buspar/buspirone

View Full Version : buspar/buspirone

citygirl89
07-15-2013, 01:36 PM
Hi all,

After trying MANY of the SSRIs/SNRIs and failing miserably, my doctor has given me buspar to try (since my problem is 99% anxiety and 1% depression, it makes sense I guess). He said it is weight-neutral but we all know docs will say that even if it's not true. I was lucky in that I never had weight gain from any of the psych meds I tried, but was curious: have any of you been on buspar and what were your experiences, weight-wise and otherwise?

Thanks!

geoblewis
07-15-2013, 02:12 PM
I was on buspar and Prozac at the same time and I did gain weight. But I was also on some steroids for allergies and recurring bronchitis during that time as well. So I probably gained weight from the steroids mostly. And I gained a lot of weight!

I have not ever been on buspar alone. Not sure if this is any help to you at all.

citygirl89
07-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Thank you so much for your response! I do know that steroids can make people gain weight like crazy, I'm sorry you went through that.

mymagicnumber
07-15-2013, 03:06 PM
I'm on it right now. No weight gain. I do get dizzy for a good 20-30 minutes after I take it about 50% of the time and it gives me weird nightmares. That's about it. I do feel it helps with my anxiety though.

citygirl89
07-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Thanks! Glad you find it helpful except for the dizziness and sleep nightmares.

SuperHeroTeacher
07-15-2013, 10:50 PM
I've been on buspar along with Zoloft for over 15 years. I've gained a significant amount of weight since beginning them both, but I don't believe there is a correlation. I've lst nearly 50 pounds in less than 4-months while taking them too!

PalmBeach
07-19-2013, 05:16 PM
I was on Wellbutrin for 5 months & lost 40lbs, I was also undergoing a major break up in my life that caused me severe stress. After 5 months I was prescribed buspirone & that was about 2 months ago & I've gained 30lbs back. I've very dissapointed & upset with myself. I don't know if it solely due to buspirone or do to another change in my life situation right now. I actually logged on today to try to get some motivation to get back to losing weight.