Old 07-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: See tracker!

Height: 5'4''

Default Stalled out! I hate plateaus...

I've been struggling a LOT to get through the 170s and back on my downward trend. I started out a couple years ago at 190 and finally brought it down into the 170s, which is great! But now I'm at a plateau and I'm stuck around 171/172....just above the breakthrough into 160s.

My question to throw out there...what can I do to switch it up and get off this plateau? Here's what I do during the week:

I work out 6 days a week and balance it with rest time so my body can recover properly. I run every other day for a 5k training program I'm doing...I combine interval training with distance training and steady runs. My energy levels have gone up SO much since I began my running plan so something must be going right with exercise at least! I also do some leg training on my run days so I don't overwork them during the week. My non-run days consist of upper body workouts and sometimes abs. I also work out mid-morning.

For my diet, I don't count calories because it causes me to be super obsessed about food and then it creates a major downward spiral for me. Instead, I focus on portion control. I balance everything I eat to create a low-carb, moderate protein diet for myself. I allow myself to eat the things I want, but in a healthy way. I eat plenty of veggies - I get them in at every meal. I include fruits with some meals, but try to keep it in the morning/midday so my blood sugar doesn't spike at night. I use a protein powder (chocolate flavored to keep cravings in check) for post-workout and it tides me over until my next meal. I eat 4 times a day, spaced out to properly interact with my metabolism.

I just don't know what to do anymore!! Everything seems so great to me and I feel really healthy. I'm just not going anywhere on the scale or the measuring tape. HELPPP!!
cdavidowsky37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

I think I have just broken through my plateau, which occurred at the same place as you- low 170s. I had been bouncing between 171-173 for two months now. At first I blamed it on the exercise that I had just incorporated into my routine, knowing that when you first start out it could push you up a bit or stall a weight loss but usually it doesn't take 2 months for your body to adjust.

Anyway after two months of nothing changing and me being good diet and exercise wise I decided I needed a mini-break. My fiance and I were going up to Seoul for the weekend so I had the opportunity to eat a bunch of food I normally can't in the tiny Korean town I live in. So that's exactly what I did. I splurged on Indian, Russian and "American" cuisine, to the point that after the Indian and American I felt super sick and full, even though it was nowhere near the portion sizes I used to consume. The Monday after that weekend (07/01) I hit 174 pounds and since then it's been all downhill. In fact I even saw the 160s briefly but TOM has me back up to 170.5. I usually lose weight once TOM finishes so I'm hoping for the same and if it occurs I think I'll have officially broken through my plateau and will be safely into the 160s.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #3  

Changergirl Thanks for the insight! I had honestly considered taking a break and just eating whatever for a couple days as well, but I just don't think it's for me.

Yesterday after my rant on here I took a look (once again) at my calorie intake and created a sharper plan for what I eat - how to split them up between my meals, etc. I'm going to spend the next few days counting calories temporarily to get myself into the amount I need for my weight. I love trackers and food logs, so I'll be creating one of those today so I can focus more. This morning's weigh-in put a little light at the end of the tunnel...I'm down 6 lbs in a month, and I'm down to 171.2 after my re-focus efforts yesterday. Fingers crossed it's really working!
Old 07-11-2013, 02:46 AM   #4  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Yeah, I would go with calorie counting for a while. And remember, you should be eating for what you're doing - which is working out a LOT. Look into nutrition for sports, it might be completely different from what you'd expect. I stalled when I began running then I realised I should have been eating a lot differently and MORE. Sounds insane but it works, athletes eat so much food but it's all catered to their needs. 1200 calorie limits for someone who is working out so much just won't cut it for your body!
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #5  

Thanks Riestrella! I actually hooked myself up with MyFitnessPal the other day and I've gotten serious about my calories. I'm already seeing results! And you're right, it's surprising how many calories I need for my body to function properly. I always knew in the back of my head that I needed to eat plenty and I've tried it before, but for some reason it didn't work. I think the combo of increased exercise and now focusing on calories too finally started working. Woohoo!
Old 07-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/146

Height: 5'7''

Man, I've been stuck at the low 170s too! It must be some kind of conspiracy haha.

I just started calorie counting again, and I've been seeing some movement on the scale, so hopefully that will be what I needed! I also cut out a lot of snacking and replaced it with things like apples and pickles (the sodium isn't great, but they're so low-calorie I don't mind) You do work out a lot so maybe the problem is you're not getting enough of the right stuff to be losing weight--so calorie counting should help there.

I'm a liiiiittle worried because I have a birthday next week and a vacation the week after, but fingers crossed, and good luck!
Melonlefey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:39 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/149/125

Height: 5'6"

I feel you. My plateau was lower; 162lbs. I didn't really bounce at all. I just sat there at 162. Then, I broke through. I got stuck again. Now I bounce from 157-159.
ArtThistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #8  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

I vote for what Riestrella said. Look into the amount of calories you should be eating for the amount of exercise you're doing. Being restrictive portion-wise MIGHT be encouraging your body to retain energy as fat to keep up with your active lifestyle. The body is designed for survival, and if you're taking in small portions and burning a lot of calories, your body will do its damnedest to make sure you've got enough fat to sustain you in case those small portions get smaller.

I understand how eating portions and types of food you wouldn't normally eat might not be for you... but whenever my plateaus have occurred in the past, what's really helped to move the scale is shaking things up VERY temporarily. Whether it be with diet (having a single day where I ate 2,000 calories instead of 1,200) or changing up the kind of workout I was doing, it always helped to get the scale moving.

Even one single day of eating drastically different resulted in a next-day up-tick of half a pound, and then the next day, the scale moved back down... and down, and down again.

Whatever you decide to do... change... something. Confuse your body into getting it moving. Our bodies are meant to sustain our weight when possible, so don't let it.

Last edited by Jelbb; 07-23-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 168/168/135ish

Height: 5'4"

i think it is a conspiracy!! lol i was stuck at 173 for 2 weeks at one point and i finally said to **** with it and had a cheat day and wouldn't you know 170 the next day, i wanted to pull my hair out lol. and now here i am stuck between 159-158 for about 4 days so guess who's having a cheat day!! i love my exercise so i don't want to change that so I'm just gonna add some calories, it might be what i need I've been going to bed semi-full but waking up starving lately.
jackiedavis87 is offline   Reply With Quote