General chatter - When I grow up I want to be: _____!

Missy Krissy
07-08-2013, 09:19 PM
My little family and I are sort of at a standstill at the moment... Hubby is about to begin his final year of school and I've been off work to stay at home with our son for a year now. Lately I've been reflecting a lot about our situation and trying to determine what our next step should be (career-wise, family-wise, school-wise, you get the picture). I got to thinking about when I was a child, about 4 years old, and what I wanted to be when I grew up. At that time I wanted to be a country music singer/actress! How funny. I rarely listen to country music now, but I do still enjoy singing. As it turns out, I'm currently a stay at home mom, so I'm definitely not making a living in the entertainment business!

So I put it to you: When you were little what did you want to be when you grew up? What ended up actually happening?

SuperHeroTeacher
07-08-2013, 10:02 PM
When I was little I always wanted to be a teacher. I worked in preschools in high school and kind of burned myself out. After high school I landed a job as a secretary at a large healthcare corporation. Over the course of 10 years I worked my way up to an analytical position (without a degree). Right around my 30th bday (and my kids were both starting school) I had an early mid-life crisis and realized I wasn't happy in my career. I went back to school and 10 years later I've been teaching 8th grade English for 5 years at my dream job! It's never too late to pursue your dream career!

newleaf123
07-08-2013, 10:21 PM
First I wanted to be a marine biologist (around age 8), but finally realized that not liking swimming was going to hold me back LOL. I really loved studying sharks and whales, though. Then I wanted to do something related to Japan (this was around age 9) but I didn't know what that would be.

My first job out of college was as a software engineer, working closely with a Japanese company to get our US software running on their Japanese machines. The job required me to read/translate Japanese technical manuals and interface electronically with Japanese personnel in Tokyo. I had the pleasure of getting to go on 2 business trips to Japan.

I guess it makes sense to add that I studied Japanese in college and lived there for 6 months during my junior year, so my Japanese skills were pretty good.

ETA: and now I'm a SAHM to 12- and 14-year-old boys.

Jilu
07-08-2013, 10:24 PM
My mom said that when I was like 5 or 6, I really wanted to be a librarian when I grew up so my house would always have new books for me to read.

I thought libraries were the librarians houses. I think it's because my grandmother would always say we were going to "visit the librarian" whenever we went.

Instead with a late 20's career change, I'm a chemist (chemistry) turned chemist (pharmacist) as my half-Brit husband likes to say.

Miggy
07-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Used to want to be a dolphin trainer because everyone else wanted to be one too... :D I'm still in school, so I'm thinking more along the lines of a pediatritian.

sontaikle
07-08-2013, 11:27 PM
I wanted to be a Paleontologist when I was six!

In college I realized I wanted to be a teacher. I sort of had a quarter life crisis recently where I thought about leaving the profession, but I found my way. I'm going to be teaching first grade in the fall (new experience entirely! I've mainly taught older kids) and I feel like it's my first year teaching all over again :)

alaskanlaughter
07-08-2013, 11:35 PM
from the time I was very little I wanted to be a writer....one summer I wrote a poem every single day...I wrote "research papers" based on what I could find in the encyclopedias (wayyy before internet)...I made my dad drive me two hours to a bigger library so I could research ghosts....once I wrote a whole paper about red squirrels LOL just because I could...I wrote stories...I spied on mom and dad and took copious notes :P

when I finally grew up and went off to college I got a part time job at one of the two local newspapers and excelled at it....after college I worked there full time, eventually getting into the managing editor position...I did a lot of reporting, photography, staff management, layout design, some ad sales, a lot of misc details...and I was doing this before I was even 25

when I was 26 I moved to another city and didn't like the newspapers here (where I live now) and moved on to my next career....working with children...I studied and earned national child education credentials and have been managing a large childcare program for almost 10 years now

i'd still like to have a career in driving heavy equipment :) and i'd like to be a pilot also...and a nurse...and a meteorologist

Skittlez
07-08-2013, 11:42 PM
I used to want to be a veterinarian for most of my childhood. I loved animals (still do!). But as I got old I knew that physically I would never be able to perform surgery (I have limited mobility in my right arm). So I considered going into law/politics and that was my major for the first year of college. But I decided I didn't like the idea of representing people who could potentially be guilty, or lying about stuff just to get votes (not that all politicians do but). Then I considered vet tech or something similar, but after working in a few vet's offices I realized that sometimes you can love something but not want to be around it all the time. Working with animals all day made me not want to spend as much time with my own pets! So now, 9 years later after that first year of college I'm going to finally go back in the fall for computer science. I'm very good with computers, and I think I'll be able to find a good job with it. Not where I ever thought I'd end up, but I think it's something that fits me and something that I can see myself doing.

anm17
07-09-2013, 12:09 AM
When I was young, probably 5 to 7, I wanted to open my own animal shelter. My cousin and I had grand plans and all the steps we thought we needed to open one (of course very few at that age.) Then as I got older, I decided I would just volunteer at the shelters. During middle school I wanted to be a music producer. Music was my life and got me through middle/high school. After I did a job shadow, I realized I had no hope. Then I switched to event planning/concert manager.

I just finished my BA in communication studies and still plan on going into event planning or advertising. Currently I am a signing coordinator, but I want something more fulfilling. I am still looking and if anyone knows of places needing planners of any sort in CNY, let me know :P

LucreziaBorgia
07-09-2013, 12:35 AM
I wanted to be a "spacegirl", as in an astronaut, or an ambassador of Czech Republic (I am not from there, but I still wanted to become that).

Now, I am an interpreter, so I missed by a long shot. :D

NorthernChick13
07-09-2013, 01:13 AM
LOL I am the third wannabe dolphin trainer/marine biologist on here! Great minds think alike ;) I blame years of watching Free Willy!

Decided in Grade 11 I wanted to be a high school English teacher...and 8 years later, here I am! ...In my head, I just pretend my students are dolphins.

SeeMyFeet
07-09-2013, 01:15 AM
What ambitious ladies! And it's never too late!

As an 8ish year old, whenever I was asked that question, I answered: "A piano teacher". This answer was met with oohs and ahhhs...Don't exactly know why I answered that way....I didn't really want to be a piano teacher...I admired my piano teacher, but my guardian was a nurse...Why didn't I say "nurse?"

Today.....I would answer "Rock Star"!....You guys would LOVE me!!!
(I would need 2 other "Fat Chicks"! Ha)

Arctic Mama
07-09-2013, 05:09 AM
I wanted to be a neurosurgeon.

Or a writer.

Then a fiber artist.

And a midwife.

Life choices and happenings prevented the first, and thank goodness! Wisdom and a desire for a roof over my head (and not monetizing a hobby and making it something I hated) stopped any English degree aims. I switched to Business.

I actually did become a fiber artist and am still considering certification down the road. But I got married and had babies, so spinning and dyeing professionally has been put on hiatus until I'm no longer raising and educating children.

I wanted to be a midwife as a secret dream when I was a teen. I still think it would be great, especially having run the gamut of births myself! So down the road, if I decide against being a fiber artist or only doing it part time, I may very well apprentice for midwifery. We'll see. Right now I'm a homemaker and home educator - that is satisfying and plenty!

thewalrus0
07-09-2013, 06:14 AM
I want to be a professor.

When I was young I wanted to be a writer and an artist. It seems as a professor I can do that and not have to sit around through the 'starving artist' phase. :p

Plus I love teaching people things I've learned because I love that light-bulb feeling when something finally makes sense. I'd love to help people achieve that.

vixxi
07-09-2013, 10:40 AM
I always wanted to work with animals since I was a child. First I wanted to be a vet, then a jockey (I think I would have missed the weight cutoff, even as a kid!), then a dog breeder, and it goes on and on. I still have a great love for animals and I'm sure I would have been happy had I ended up working with them in the long run but, my dog an two cats, (and fiancé) will have to fill that void!

Instead I decided to pursue a career as a Nurse, currently shooting for a job in Corrections (cross your fingers that I get the job!) but I think I would really love to do Hospice someday.

Missy Krissy
07-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Wow, lots of great responses on here!

SuperHeroTeacher – What an inspiration! I love that you went back to school and did what you wanted. Few of us possess that kind of determination!

NewLeaf – While certainly no marine biologist, I think it’s too cool that you were able to go to Japan.

Jilu – “Visit the librarian” – I love it! I can see how a young mind would conclude that the library is the librarian’s house. I’d love to have as many books in my house as a library.

Miggy – I’m finding a hard time drawing a connection between dolphin trainer and pediatrician… but pediatricians are awesome people.

Sontaikle – Congrats on your new teaching job! After college I did a little substitute teaching, and younger kids were my favorite to teach.

Alaskanlaughter – Your story made me chuckle, especially the part about taking notes on your parents. Do you have any of your childhood writings still?

Skittlez – Veterinarian vs computer science, those are pretty different!

Anm17 – Funny how easy things seem when you’re little isn’t it? To open your own animal shelter all you have to do is 1-2-3 and ta-da! You’re in business!

LucreziaBorgia – Eeeh, interpreter, ambassador, they’re not so different! What language(s) do you interpret?

NorthernChick - :rofl: Your students as dolphins!

SeeMyFeet – Want to start a band? LOL!

ArcticMoma – If you do go down the midwife road, you’ve got plenty of first-hand experience with the whole childbirth process! I’m sure that would be an asset when helping new mothers.

Thewalrus – What subject do you want to teach?

Vixxi – A jockey, that’s an interesting choice! I come from a family full of nurses – one of my uncles used to work as a nurse in corrections and I have a friend doing that right now too. Good luck, it sounds like it will be an interesting place to work!

I think it's really interesting to see the connections between what people wanted to be when they were children and what ended up actually happening. Some people ended up doing similar things and others took completely different paths!

alaskanlaughter
07-09-2013, 04:14 PM
most of my childhood stuff is just as I left it in my childhood bedroom...my parents still live on the homestead where I grew up, in the house that they built, and my bedroom has been pretty much untouched since I left home for college...its used for storage now but if I went back and dug through my dresser drawers I know right where everything would still be

helwa588
07-09-2013, 04:53 PM
I wanted to be a surgeon. I was dead set on it. Then I got to high school and just lost interest in it.

Dottington
07-09-2013, 04:58 PM
I wanted to be an oceanographer for a really long time starting when I was 3. I was obsessed with Jacques Cousteau, read all his books, watched all his documentaries, became obsessed with france because of it, tried to teach my cat to scuba dive....haha I also had always secretly harbored a desire to be an artist or performer of some kind. But my parents said artists/performers were idiots. Funnily enough I did go into the arts and am pursuing a degree in classical piano performance and I also do a lot of teaching. I actually have to go practice right now :D

GlamourGirl827
07-09-2013, 06:34 PM
I wanted to be a Paleontologist when I was six!

Oh me too! I wanted to do that from as early as I can remember. I used to "read" (look though) this TIme Life book about Darwin and evolution with dinosaur pics in it. I actually still have the book. It had stuff in it about genes and embryonic developement. I have loved science my whole life.

When I got a little older I wanted to be a vet. Then as I got into highschool, a teacher. I went to college for one year for elementary education, and having some real time in the classroom as part of the college program I went to...I changed my mind...and give A LOT of credit to teachers!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to be photographer briefly but that became more of a hobby.

Then I decided to be a nurse, which I love doing.

Although my ideal job would be if I could get the education to run a weightloss clinic OR possibly work in an eating disorders clinic. I'm lucky I'm an RN so I actually could work in those areas now, but I'd prefer to do more of the psychological healing with patients rather than the just the physical healing.

josie4
07-09-2013, 07:59 PM

LucreziaBorgia
07-10-2013, 11:31 AM
LucreziaBorgia – Eeeh, interpreter, ambassador, they’re not so different! What language(s) do you interpret?

Turkish-English-Turkish and French-English at the moment. I have plans to add Spanish, but that needs some serious improvement.

sontaikle
07-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Oh me too! I wanted to do that from as early as I can remember. I used to "read" (look though) this TIme Life book about Darwin and evolution with dinosaur pics in it. I actually still have the book. It had stuff in it about genes and embryonic developement. I have loved science my whole life.

Omg I was obsessed with dinosaurs when I was little! I used to read books all the time :)

I'm a 90s girl so I also had Jurassic Park. That didn't help me get rid of that dinosaur obsession!!

I love science too. I LOVE teaching it and I totally try to be over the top enthusiastic and get kids interested. Another reason I'm excited to be teaching first grade is all the fun science stuff I can do with them!! :dizzy:

Psychic
07-10-2013, 02:22 PM
I wanted to be a paleotologist. I still think it would be a great career, but I couldn't handle the traveling.

My current career is a computer technician for a school district.

If I were to go back to college, I would consider biotech, zoology, or psychology.

dehtripper
07-10-2013, 11:22 PM
This is a fun thread!

I've always been in love with animals (though not really the cute endearing ones like dolphins). I used to wake up early saturday to watch jank hanna and national geographic. I wanted to be a herpetologist, general zoologist or maaaaybe dig up dinos. I had a shor period of wanting to be a corner cause there's so much pressure for those who are strong in science to go into medicine but I didn't want to deal with people haha

Currently I am on the track to be a research zoologist (probably professor or perhaps consultant). I'm finishing my Masters on fish physiology and will soon move to my phd. I just friggen love figuring out how animals work and teaching so its a perfect fit. I have literally been paid to chase fish in buckets - I mean really what else can a girl ask for?

So I guess I grew up to be what I always wanted :)

SunnyMathChick
07-11-2013, 02:40 PM
I love this thread! What fun, Krissy!

As a kid I changed my mind a lot... I said I wanted to be an elementary teacher, then I said that I wanted to be a Stay at home mom, then I wanted to be an engineer. I have been down a sort of meandering career path.

Right now I'm doing the SAHM gig, so I guess I got my dream! Eventually I will go back to the classroom. As I've gained more experiences I've realized how fortunate I have been to try out a lot of different things.

A few times I have considered careers in medical-related areas. I still think it would be fascinating to do some doula training or lactation consulting. But the more I've studied, the more I've felt kind of limited. SO many fascinating things in this world, but I can only study so much!

Jesserz
07-11-2013, 06:49 PM
I've wanted to be everything. I wanted to be an NASA Engineer; an animal trainer; a vet (until I learned that that job consists mostly of putting animals to sleep); a flight nurse; a psychologist (went to school for that one).

But what I've always wanted to be is an artist. But I was always told that that was a hobby, not a job. Well, it may have taken me nearly a quarter of a century, but I finally decided that it's the only thing that will make me truly happy. So I'm an artist now. Studying to become an art teacher. It's not fun hiding who you are from the world.