Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat July 8 - July 14

BillBlueEyes
07-08-2013, 06:14 AM
Let saef's quote start the week:some abstemiousness and health back to this thread

Walking in the heat gives a false sense of accomplishment as the sweat streams off. We're in our hot spell that happens about twice a summer before it returns to New England's milder weather. Spent extra time watering our community garden that suffers under the heat.

New Jersey blueberries are now selling for $2 a pint. It's such a delight to indulge pretending that each berry carries enough antioxidants to make me live a day longer. When I'm indulging in blueberries, it's easy to ignore the repeated, consistent studies that show this not to be true. Belief can rise about science, LOL.

Mudpie
07-08-2013, 06:27 AM
Salad! there, did that take everyone's minds back to a healthier place? :p

It is 3H here - hazy, hot, humid - for the 4th day in a row. DH and I were going to kayak yesterday but thunderstorms held us back. Ditto for the biking we decided to do instead. Just got the tires pumped up and everything checked out and it started POURING rain. SIGH.

But we did find something to do indoors. :devil: No, it did not involve anything with a Dutch name. :p

DH is really having problems with his knees now, due to what I think is arthritis. He won't go to a doctor. We are regularly having the discussion about weight loss, exercise, and increased health. And less stress, therefore probably less pain, for his knees.

He actually asked me what the point of it all was - what was the end goal? :(

That's so sad. It's been so long since he's felt healthy that he's forgotten what a major satisfaction it can be for us to know that we are strong, ready to face each day, and that we will be able to do something other than sit and stare as we age.

Speaking of which I am going to go strength train now. I can squeeze in 3 sets this morning as my work start is going to be at 11 a.m.

I'm having the joyous experience of both a mammogram and an ultrasound right before work so it will be a relief to take the dogs out afterwards. I think I'll be eating lunch in my car today but that's OK.

Good week all!

Dagmar :strong: :yoga:

WardHog
07-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Good morning! I don't want to say anything about our weather for fear that I will jinx it, but there seems to be a strange bright thing in the sky ...

ICUwishing
07-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Thanks all, for the kind words about my grandma. She was a force to be reckoned with - a steady presence of practicality. In my last conversation with her, I told her that I never needed to consult "WWJD", because I had a living mentor for civilized behavior. All I needed to consider was "WWGD" (What would Grandma do?) and when I aligned with that, I never regretted it. I got a big smile for that one. Saef, she would have been a great tough-love consultant around here, kind of like Lori Bell. I think Nike decided on their "Just Do It" logo after somebody who worked for them met my Grandma. I will miss her ... but she has left an indelible legacy of strong values, independence and critical thinking.

I am still recovering from DS14's birthday party on July 5th. I had 8 12-14 year old boys for 24 hours. I made major "mom points" on that one, although I suspect I shortened my lifespan. :D I requested two of my close friends, whose sons represented 50% of the attendance, to sit on me and pummel me into unconsciousness if I ever suggest doing such a thing again. No one got (seriously) hurt or arrested, which apparently means a successful party.

Hoping for a quiet, normal, predictable week.

ChrisMohr
07-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Hi all,

Yes, the very word "salad" helps me think healthy! I may be a chocoholic, but I also REALLY enjoy fresh salad and consider the day incomplete without lots and lots of it.

Since my business is going under, this is a time of very low confidence. I can't seem to stop my mind from telling me that I can't succeed in my efforts at maintenance, just like in the past. That stress and my low emotional state guarantee my utter fasilure in this as in business.

The only answer I have to that voice is to eat well and lose my "winter weight," now. It's a "just do it" time where psychology and affirmations etc don't seem to help. The only other thing that seems to help is my maintenance allies right here, receiving support from you all.

Last week I switched from weight gain to maintenance gear, and in the last three days I am switching from maintenance to weight loss. The self-confidence will have to come later, I guess.

bargoo
07-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Chris, I am sure there is a great new future ahead for you. It may be different to what you have done in the past but with your creative mind I know you are going to find success.

saef
07-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Chris, I've never owned my own business, only worked for huge corporations, but I suspect that the issue is how closely you identify your job with yourself, and that you identify more closely than a lot of us. But the job & the way you make a living is only a part of you. You remain yourself at your essential core, unchanged, with all your good qualities. Still, I suspect what you are doing is mourning a loss of a kind, while also preparing to undergo some big change. But your weight loss must've taught you that you are able to initiate change and benefit from it, and respond well to it, that it takes patience, but that it can bring a new & better life. So I am hoping that helps you, and that you know you can continue to take good care of yourself despite what you are dealing with.

I was just thinking this morning that, this time last year, I finally stepped into my newly renovated apartment right after July Fourth holiday. All I managed to do with my mother's help on that first trip downstate was get the kitchen stuff put away, hang curtains and set up a bed. Thus began July 2012, when I alternated driving downstate to bring some things in my mother's minivan & camp out for a few nights, then returned upstate to live in a fully furnished, air-conditioned & comfortable house. I didn't really move in fully till the end of August. I am in a better place now ... if the tropical storms & hurricanes of this season will hold off. The kind of rain you all are having down in Georgia would be freaking me out. I don't like heat waves much but like snowstorms, I can sit them out. I have my own resources. But rain & flooding is another story.

alinnell
07-08-2013, 01:11 PM
I'm back at work after a 4-day weekend. The paperwork really piled up and I'm busy, busy, busy! It was really nice having the extra long weekend. We relaxed a lot and went to see FOUR movies (as a way of staying out of the heat).

I sure wish some of your rain would head our way.

Just two more weeks until we leave for our vacation. I'm getting a little antsy.

Shannon in ATL
07-08-2013, 02:11 PM
I'm at one of our outlyling locations (Dawsonville, for those in the know of the geography around these parts) today, about 1:15 away from my office, working on the time clock. The father of one of my coworkers (one I work with in my offices every day) passed away Friday and they are having the service today. I wanted to go, but it is 3 hours away from my office in the opposite direction from where I am now. Our Controller was able to go, but I'm sad that I couldn't be there, too.

I made my planned exercise every day last week, finishing the week with 5.25 miles at the park. The scale says the same as last week, but the pants I have on today are loose and they weren't the last time I wore them. I'm going to go with Dagmar's suggestion and take that as a reason to cheer. :carrot:

Ward - I'm trying not to jink the weather myself, too. I was thinking this morning I need to buy a sunlamp.

Saef - the rain down here is freaking me out. I'm not in a flood zone, but friends and family are. I looked today and it seems as if we are currently at 125%+ of our average rainfall.

Chris - the confidence will come back. I agree with Bargoo, you are too gifted and creative to not settle on something fantastic soon.

Becky - brave woman with the birthday party. I have a hard time with two boys in the house, much less 8.

Dagmar - hope the tests go well today.

Bill - I love blueberries. I'm going to go with faith in their effectiveness, too. :)

Good day everyone. :wave:

Mudpie
07-08-2013, 05:59 PM
but I'd like some feedback from people I trust. And I trust you guys and I think most of you are homeowners.

I am going to have to buy a furnace. For me that's kinda like selecting a yacht - no clue as to how much it should cost or what brand I should get. It's going to be a high efficiency gas one. I'm looking at Bryant, Trane, American Standard, and Carrier.

Anyone got any of these? And what do you think of them? Model # and some specs - variable speed blower, dual heat exchanger, and AFUE rating are all factors.

thanks!
Dagmar

alinnell
07-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Homeowner here! We have combo furnace/AC units (gas). Three of them are made by Lennox and the fourth (AC only for the garage) is a York. We didn't choose them. When we built our house the guy we felt was fairest in installing them said that Lennox was the best and we trusted his input. When DH decided he needed AC in the garage (we keep it at 85 year around) the previous guy was too busy to help us so we went with a different contractor that suggested York. I can't tell you that it works any different.

You've obviously done your homework. Have you interviewed contractors/installers to get their input? Granted they usually have ties to certain brands but if you get an "old guy" who has been around and has seen the good, the bad and the ugly and is willing to share with you, I'd trust his input.

Also keep in mind warranties--how long and what all is covered.

iriswhispers
07-08-2013, 08:19 PM
My grocery store has blueberries on sale and I bought a bunch as well... love them fresh or frozen (or in a pie...)! Even if they're not total superfood miracles, I'm sure they're pretty good for me.

As for salad - and veggies in general - I need to eat more. I've been doing some travelling (to the beach and then to NY to visit my boyfriend for the 4th of July) and I'm pretty sure the arugula on my sandwich was the only real veggie I had in almost a week...

bargoo
07-08-2013, 08:54 PM
I eat blueberries year around. If a store has them I buy them, no matter the price. I like blueberries.

Shannon in ATL
07-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Dagmar - I have a Trane, and have had to replace two condenser coils in five years. Everyone says that is abmormal, and both have been warrantied. We've 'only' paid labor to the tune of $600 per time. The unit itself is good. Don't go zoned, I can say that clearly. :) like Allison said, pay attention to warranty. Lots of attention. LOL

traveling michele
07-08-2013, 09:28 PM
I currently have an excess of blueberries and cherries in my fridge! I have tons of other fruit as well. My fridge is full of healthy food!

I don't know anything about my furnace except we bought a furnace/AC unit when we bought our house 7 years ago. Our house was built in 1980 and had no AC when we bought it! That wouldn't have been fun last week when it was 105 degrees multiple days in a row.

I don't remember if I mentioned the issues my dh had trying to fly to China? He usually leaves on Saturday and his flight would have been taking off around the same time that the flight crashed there. He planned to leave Sunday instead and I dropped him off at SFO at 9 am (news crews EVERYWHERE!). His flight was due to leave at noon. First it was delayed till 12:30, then 2:30, then cancelled! They put him on a China Air flight that was supposed to leave at 2:30. It kept getting delayed and finally took off at 8 pm!! He arrived safely but his bags apparently are still here at SFO in lost baggage. We'll see when they make it to China!

Older dd and I have a flight to Houston on Saturday. Not sure how that will go as the one runway is shut down indefinitely.

I had a lovely lunch today with three wonderful parents from my school-- they have been my volunteers and we've all become friends-- I had a healthy salmon salad with the dressing on the side. Ignored the bread basket. Success.

Not so successful was my trip to the dentist. I have an old crown that needs replacing. I hate the dentist. I'd rather go to the gyno and have 5 mammograms (which by the way I have a mammo this week to) than go to the dentist. Plus it's $$$$. Sigh.

My afternoon gym session also got nixed. I was at the gym. I had gotten my pass for body pump. Then dd (younger) texted me that she has a migraine and was throwing up. So, I left the gym and went to take care of the doggie that she is pet sitting for. She just got home from work and went to bed.

alinnell
07-08-2013, 09:56 PM
I've been buying huge clamshells of fresh blueberries at either Trader Joe's or Costco. I think the grocery store is usually $4.99 for about a cup and TJ's was $5.99 for twice that and Costco was $6.99 for four times that! Eating it with Greek yogurt for breakfasts during the work week I was unable to finish the Costco clamshell in 5 days! I wish they were that cheap all the time. I also bought a dozen nectarines (my favorite fruit) at TJ's for $4.99 or $5.99 (can't remember). I bought 2 dozen--one dozen per week, but that is a fruit that is only good for a short time, so I'll probably not buy more lest I be disappointed.

Amazing that the airport was still having delays a whole day later, Michele. As soon as I heard about the crash (as we were on our way into a movie) I had to text both my brother and niece to see if my SIL was back from Japan. She did get back on Thursday but my brother also said that the flight that crashed was one that they've been on twice before. Yikes!

WardHog
07-08-2013, 10:08 PM
I buy blueberries year round, too. But I only share them in the summer. ;-)

Did I ever tell you guys about the sleepover we had for my son's 8th birthday? The boys were on the main floor and making lots of noise, so I kept getting up and going downstairs to tell them to be quiet and go to sleep. Well, when I went down at 1 am, one boy was dancing around buck naked! I still don't quite know why, but I can tell you that he has not been invited back. That's something you'd never see at a girl's sleepover!

neurodoc
07-08-2013, 11:31 PM
I'm another maintainer enjoying the blueberries of the season (they are plentiful in MI). I could care less whether their antioxidants add any days to my life, they add deliciousness to my oatmeal, and that's enough.

Michele, what is the reason your siggie counts your workouts and your Bikram yoga classes separately? Do you have different goals for each (as in, strength vs. flexibility)? I'm asking because I have several different workout types (strength training, cardio, HIIT/metabolic training) and pretty much just alternate them, but sometimes wonder whether I should formally track each to see what ratio gives me the best results.

Wardhog, as the mother of 3 boys, the youngest of whom just turned 8 last week, my heart goes out to the little boy you caught dancing naked at 1 am. That could so totally have been my DS, who gets overexcited and overtired simultaneously, and does silly things like that to keep the attention (and limelight) on himself. Please don't count him out as a friend for your son on that basis alone; he may have many lovely qualities when he's better rested :>)

bargoo
07-08-2013, 11:58 PM
This seems to be the week for medical tests. I am scheduled for an MRI on Friday.

traveling michele
07-09-2013, 02:45 AM
Michele, what is the reason your siggie counts your workouts and your Bikram yoga classes separately? Do you have different goals for each (as in, strength vs. flexibility)? I'm asking because I have several different workout types (strength training, cardio, HIIT/metabolic training) and pretty much just alternate them, but sometimes wonder whether I should formally track each to see what ratio gives me the best results.

Andrea-- no real reason, but I've been tracking my workouts for three years now. This is the first year I'm separating my workouts. Last year, I tried to workout 310 days and I got close but didn't make it. This year, I decided to focus on workouts and not days as sometimes I do two workouts in one day. I truly believe my yoga improves my strength and flexibility so I'm tracking that separately. My yoga studio recognizes students that take 100, 200 or more classes per year so I'm hoping to be recognized for 200 this year. There was a woman last year that was recognized for 400 classes-- she takes multiple classes daily-- I'm not that crazy!

ICUwishing
07-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Blueberry fan here, as well! Nature's candy, and so good on everything they touch. :)

Ward, I agree with Andrea re the bizarre things that take place when kids are overtired. I think I saw enough last weekend to scare me off hosting sleepovers for, well, EVER. :lol:

Chris, please don't let one business crash derail your headspace. Don't forget that opera - how huge is that? No one has a 100% success rate, and the most successful people are the ones who've made big mistakes and learned big lessons. Steve Jobs, anyone? ;)

My focus for this week and next is getting my portions back under control. The long weekend and vacation brought back the my habit of wanting to be full as opposed to satisfied. It's summer and the eating is good ... but I don't need to eat it all at once.

alinnell
07-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Bargoo~best of luck to you on Friday. Hope all the scans are clean!

The countdown to vacation has begun. The anxiousness has also begun (which means hours of sleeplessness in the wee hours of the morning).

Shannon in ATL
07-09-2013, 11:20 AM
I get blueberries in the big clamshell from Costco, too. Unfortunately, the last ones I got were really terrible. So bad I had to return them. I've been a little afraid to get any more and I miss them. :(

Ward - don't write off the little guy, he really could be better when hes's not worn out and over stimulated. I know little boys I could see doing that for various reasons.

Michele - I'm so impressed with your Bikram yoga.

I got my whoosh today. I'm three pounds down from last week. Woo.

bargoo
07-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Shannon, congratulations on the whoosh !

traveling michele
07-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Whoosh Shannon! Thanks for the kudos. I love it!

My weight was down a pound. Still three over my redline. So close and yet so far.

ChrisMohr
07-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Saef and others,
Thanks for your support! I am realizing that I'm kind of in the male thing of idedntifying my worth with my work and can't pull the confidence back up. But one good thing about us guys I guess: being simpleminded in some ways we can sometimes just plow forward and fake it till we make it. So I am doing the right things at least, which is the one thing I can do.
The way this applies to my weight: I consider 195 a maximum acceptable "winter weight" now, and 185 a good "summer weight." Today I finally broke through at 194.2 so I feel I am en route to my summer weight at last. So I am feeling low, but at least I'm doing the weight thing better again. Saying I feel a lack of confidence is true, but I don't want to use how I feel as an excuse to gain back all the weight I lost last year!

saef
07-09-2013, 02:00 PM
I'm paying 99 cents for a pint of blueberries from a local produce market and eating them every morning with cinnamon, Splenda and plain Fage on top.

Chris, good on you. Sometimes doing well at something, anything, just when you're starved for success, can be enough for a turnaround. Actually, I think that's part of my life story regarding my view of my weight and body. When I have the upper hand on my weight, then I feel like my life in general is a little more under control.

Shannon, I'm so glad that your scale has spoken, science is reaffirmed and hard work is rewarded: You got your whoosh. I want one, too. I may very well get one, but mine will have something to do with abstention from sugarfree gum & not drinking too much Diet Pepsi when I'm feeling dehydrated from the heat.

BillBlueEyes
07-10-2013, 06:29 AM
Ooops ... My apologies to British women when I restated the line that the British just won their first Wimbledon in 77 years. That story is being corrected all over the press, e.g. If a British woman won 77 Wimbledon, why is Murray first winner since 36? (http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/07/andy-murray-virginia-wade-first-brit-wimbledon/)

I like the tweet by Chloe Angyal, "Murray is indeed the first Brit to win Wimbledon in 77 years unless you think women are people."

I was called on it when I congratulated my neighbor from London. She reminded me of Virginia Wade's victory in 1977. She also let on the subtlety: if Andy Murray had lost, it would be, "Too bad the Scot lost." When he won it was, "Yay for the Brit who won."

ChrisMohr
07-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Saef you are so right. It IS feeling good to keep diet under control when other parts of my life are out of control. Just lost another half pound today. Now I'm off for a long hike to over 12,000' to sniff some wildflowers. Life can be hard but I can be kind!

silverbirch
07-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Quite right about Virginia Wade whose smile also lit up the country, back in 1977. Bill, your neighbour passes on a comment which is in circulation. It has some degree of truth in it (as stereotypes sometimes do) but is also being pushed hard for a political purpose. There will be a referendum in Scotland in 2014 concerning independence. A lot of detail has to come out in the next months and we're also likely to see more of this kind of comment. I think I'll leave it there.

A lovely day here in the countryside. I've decided to get rid of most of the spare rough bits of slate. I'll keep pieces for edging and for paths. So, out with the barrow, down to the car and off to the tip. If it's cooler than this morning when it felt inhuman.

Shannon in ATL
07-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Bill - I have a friend whose parents are Scottish, was born in England and lived most of his life in Canada before moving back to London a few years ago. He made a point of putting on his FB that the victory was a great one for the Brits and the Scots. He didn't catch Virginia Wade though, nor did I. Oops.

silverbirch
07-10-2013, 11:35 AM
Shannon, you may be a bit young to remember her? :)

I've sorted some slate and am now a puddle.

Shannon in ATL
07-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Shannon, you may be a bit young to remember her? :)

I've sorted some slate and am now a puddle.

Hehe. Maybe so. I don't feel young right now, so anything I can say I'm too young for I'm good with. :)

What is the weather like where you are, Birchie? I know earlier this year some places were seeming to go straight back to fall and skipping summer.

traveling michele
07-10-2013, 05:14 PM
And I'm back up two pounds today. Sigh. Never ending battle.

silverbirch
07-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Shannon, we had a very long winter which held all the blossom back. Then spring came altogether in a rush - it was quite glorious. Now we're having an over-typical British summer - almost completely unpredictable. I wore leather gloves and a fleece hat to school sports day about 10 days ago as the rain drove in almost horizontally. At that point, I was certain I wouldn't see the sun for weeks. But London on Monday & Tuesday was scorching. Today, at home, it's been about 27C (81F) with the wind swinging about. All my garden plans disintegrated. Now the wind's in the NE, our coldest quarter. I'm finding all the changes very wearing and I still haven't unearthed all my summer clothes.

It's bedtime here and I'm a little hungry. I'm just going to clean my teeth and go to bed. That's the best thing to do, I think.

Mudpie
07-11-2013, 06:40 AM
Good Morning!

Got my first good night's sleep this month last night. The new house CAN be fixed. I didn't buy a "lemon" and it will eventually be a really nice, functional house. After our visit yesterday and the pronouncement by the HVAC guy that the furnace and ductwork could be moved I came home and literally jumped up and down in our front hall. :dance:

Now all I have to do is keep DH's alternating enthusiasm/aversion to spending my money in check. That's what really separates us - I can and do make decisions and stick to them. DH formulates 7 plans and then spins around trying to decide between them all. :dizzy: His approach makes me :crazy: sometimes.

I have been quite overwhelmed by it all and have to keep repeating "everything doesn't need to be changed at once, every thing etc. etc.". I'm hoping, once the quotes are in and a kind of reno "plan" has been set up for August. I can then seriously address my :o "eating slippage". I'm not too far down the slope yet, but I have been gaining momentum lately.

I figure I have August-October to diet things down a bit and get set for moving. I'm thinking I'll take my "vacation" the last week of October and move then. November will be chaotic and then December should be easier.

Dagmar :cool:

Mudpie
07-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Weird - we are 11 days from closing and my dad has started his harrassing phone calls again. No way he could know what's happening. Probably coincidence. But my stomach still lurched when I heard his voice - kinda like one of Pavlov's mutts. :lol:

Dagmar :eek:

ICUwishing
07-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Memorial service for my grandma is over. It was short, sweet and to the point - live simply, with dignity and curiosity, and teach when you have something to offer. A simple formula, really. I will be "brainificating and thinkifying" on this for a bit.

Mudpie
07-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Memorial service for my grandma is over. It was short, sweet and to the point - live simply, with dignity and curiosity, and teach when you have something to offer. A simple formula, really. I will be "brainificating and thinkifying" on this for a bit.

Good words to live by. :hug: to you Becky.

Dagmar

neurodoc
07-11-2013, 10:39 PM
And I'm back up two pounds today. Sigh. Never ending battle.

Michele, my heart goes out to you in empathy. I feel like you are living the same nightmare I had for the 4 months leading up to my swearing off further attempts to get down to my goal weight. And I'm betting that, like me, no one not on this board will understand why you are so driven to lose weight when, to them, you look "just fine." I have no advice, just sympathy.

traveling michele
07-11-2013, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the empathy Andrea. I truly appreciate it. I'm up another pound today. I went to Target today and I was just MAD. I was so temped to buy CRAP to eat. Might as well, right?! Luckily I walked away. Praying the scale gods hear me and help me out a little.

ChrisMohr
07-12-2013, 10:34 AM
I got down to 194.2, then last night friends took us out to dinner. No dessert, plus Karen and I shared one glass of white wine, no appetizers, but still.. a salty chicken dish so now I weight 195 again. Dang! But I think I'm still on track. One reason I set as goal for a low summer weight is so I don't get to an even higher weight than this in the winter.

Michele I can relate to being MAD and eating crap to express my anger. I'm angry these days as everything seems to be going so out of control. Losing my business, and just yesterday finding out a good friend has aggressive cancer and an aunt is suddenly going into hospice. Yeah I'm mad, and I've just decided that to show how mad I am, I'm going to keep control of my eating. So there!

Mudpie
07-12-2013, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the empathy Andrea. I truly appreciate it. I'm up another pound today. I went to Target today and I was just MAD. I was so temped to buy CRAP to eat. Might as well, right?! Luckily I walked away. Praying the scale gods hear me and help me out a little.

Would you, and anyone else who is tormented by this, consider a range of numbers to be your "weight"? I know I am fine if I weigh somewhere in between 133-137. That is my maintenance weight, rather than one specific number.

Dagmar :dizzy:

saef
07-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Shannon, I get it, too. I'm down a little over a pound from last Friday but I spent much of this week feeling really hungry and wondering what's happening to me. At this point I wonder if I'll ever see 145 again. Then I hear friends who are working with personal trainers & who feel badly if they eat a carrot, a tomato or a handful of grapes, because these are carb-y, and worrying about anything made with flour, I mean, whole wheat flour, even though they don't have any digestive issues with gluten -- and I don't want to be in that position, either.

alinnell
07-12-2013, 11:39 AM
Shannon, I get it, too. I'm down a little over a pound from last Friday but I spent much of this week feeling really hungry and wondering what's happening to me. At this point I wonder if I'll ever see 145 again. Then I hear friends who are working with personal trainers & who feel badly if they eat a carrot, a tomato or a handful of grapes, because these are carb-y, and worrying about anything made with flour, I mean, whole wheat flour, even though they don't have any digestive issues with gluten -- and I don't want to be in that position, either.

I'm wondering what's happening to me as well.

I'm about to go on vacation and I'm not going to worry about anything until after I return, but right now even my "fat shorts" feel tight. I've gained back everything I lost last year, plus a few. It stinks.

I added some fruit to my diet in the past month because, hey, it's healthy, gosh darn it! And a 3 pound gain is what I got from that. Granted I think I've cut back on veggies a little, so I will concentrate on getting more of those for a while and see if that helps.

DD is taking a course to become a personal trainer. She hopes to find a part time job doing this when she starts grad school. She completed her CPR training this week and in enjoying learning what it takes to be a personal trainer. I don't know if I mentioned this or not, but she's pretty sure she messed up her metabolism by eating too few calories when she was losing the 50 pounds she's lost in the past year and a half. So for the past 6 weeks or so she's upped her calories and exercising. Seriously, if I ate what she eats, I'd be obese in a month! Goes to show that all these years of dieting probably have messed with my metabolism. At least she caught it early and is doing something to fix it. Me. Probably broken for life.

traveling michele
07-12-2013, 11:50 AM
I know.... What's wrong with us? Quite a few of us seem to be battling similar situations. Dagmar- I had a weight range. It was 118-120 with a redline of 125. I maintained that for a couple of years. Now I'd just be thrilled to get back to 125. I was 128 earlier this week and it seemed possible, but then my weight started going up again. Yesterday I was 131. Today 130.4 so slightly down but barely. Like Allison, I leave tomorrow to go out of town. Dd and I are flying her to Houston for her move. We are bringing her service dog and her cat on the plane! Plus tons of suitcases. Should be very stressful! We are flying out of SFO and so are likely to be delayed. When we get to Houston, we have to stop to buy a litter box and litter and then drive to my friends house to borrow keys for the place we will stay at until we get the apartment. Not sure how much exercise I will get but we are planning on trying juicing! I'm trying not to worry about my weight but it is hard. I haven't packed yet and I know that will frustrate me when my clothes don't fit.

Peace and serenity to all of us.

Shannon in ATL
07-12-2013, 11:54 AM
I have found in the last year that just about everything I eat that isn't all protein makes me feel bloated, crampy and icky with stomach symptoms raging from serious upset to reflux and heartburn that almost kills me. I was tested for everything and have no allergies to gluten or wheat, no hpylori, no crohn's or celiac. It is making me crazy. I've also wondered about the metabolism thing, Allison. Did I mess myself up with my weird diet and exercise? I read an article by Krista Scott Dixon (I think Seaf shared it here a few weeks ago, too) that talked about some of the damages we could have done to our systems.

Michele - you and I were in the same range for a while. Today I was 145, and thrilled that I was at that weight three days in a row. I kept the lower range for a long time, and I hadn't changed my food when weight started to creep back up. After a while I decided to chuck it all and I know I increased my calories and then stopped exercising. Trying to get back into the groove.

bargoo
07-12-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm wondering what's happening to me as well.

Goes to show that all these years of dieting probably have messed with my metabolism. At least she caught it early and is doing something to fix it. Me. Probably broken for life.

Allison, I don't believe you are broken for life. It may take a little longer to get to your goal but with grit and determination you will make it. I was a yoyo dieter . I can't tell you how many diets I went on. I lost but regained plus more, many times. I did get discouraged and frustrated, but eventually found success and am not bragging because I know maintenance is a fragile thing. It takes just as much grit and determination to keep it off as it is to lose it,. I don't mean to get preachy , just trying to say I know what you are going through and also know it can be done.
You can do it .

ICUwishing
07-12-2013, 02:50 PM
:grouphug: I've tried for an hour to come up with something meaningful and motivational. All I can say is that I wish I could trade a part of my responsive metabolism for a tiny fraction of the determination, discipline, and persistence you display day in and day out. I'd say "good luck", but there's no luck involved. :shrug:

Shannon in ATL
07-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Wow, crunchy cereal is like crack isn't it? I just ate two pieces of dry quaker oatmeal squares cereal and I am literally having to sit on my hands when they aren't typing to keep from opening the bag and eating all the rest in there.

alinnell
07-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Wow, crunchy cereal is like crack isn't it? I just ate two pieces of dry quaker oatmeal squares cereal and I am literally having to sit on my hands when they aren't typing to keep from opening the bag and eating all the rest in there.

This is probably the only reason that the only cereal at our house is Lucky Charms (which I won't eat but DS loves), the only problem being that there are those times when a bowl of rice crispies with a banana on top sounds so wonderful for breakfast.

Oh, goodness, did we just start another food porn?

BillBlueEyes
07-12-2013, 06:12 PM
Quaker Oatmeal Squares slide down without milk and berries.

It's crack.

saef
07-12-2013, 06:42 PM
Here's your mantra for today, Shannon: Cereal is for children and those with a teenage boy's metabolism.

Also, I think Quaker Oatmeal Squares look like they were extruded. I can picture vats in a factory containing a kind of wood pulp in sugar water, which is the very processed "oats" in this cereal, then forced through tiny metal pipettes into the shape they now have. At least with Shredded Wheat, it looks like something in nature. The Quaker Oatmeal Squares look like dog kibble.

ICUwishing
07-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Cereal is for children and those with a teenage boy's metabolism.

Like, like, like. Especially now that I'm living with a teenage boy, who told me recently to quit buying Cheerios because "they only buy me an hour" of non-hungry time. He wants to learn how to hardboil eggs properly. :D

Mudpie
07-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Like, like, like. Especially now that I'm living with a teenage boy, who told me recently to quit buying Cheerios because "they only buy me an hour" of non-hungry time. He wants to learn how to hardboil eggs properly. :D

It seems that sometimes the young and old have a lot more wisdom than we do.

I returned a bag of "health food" cereal two weeks ago because it contained 3 types of sugar. They were disguised as other things in the ingredients list but they were sugar. The 2 cereals in our house have one ingredient - wheat. When the store is out of them I will not buy anything else, no matter how healthy it claims to be.

Dagmar :cool:

bargoo
07-13-2013, 10:58 AM
I love shredded wheat and have been eating it for many years. Have any of you read the list of ingredients for shredded wheat ? It is pretty short, one ingredient, whole grain wheat. I prefer the original big biscuit.

alinnell
07-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Becky~that's cool that your son wants to learn those kinds of things. I remember when my son went to YMCA cooking camp. I think it was just two weeks long and culminated in all the parents coming for a kid-cooked lunch. They compiled their own cookbook and everyone got a copy to bring home. It was fun and some days when I ask DS to either cook dinner or help and he's always more than happy to do so. A couple years ago I downloaded an app called Paprika and merged all my favorite recipes into it, then had both kids download it as well and sign onto my "cloud" to get all the recipes. It's neat and I add to it constantly. I guess I'm kind of a closet foodie.

Bargoo~I like shredded wheat as well, but prefer the mini ones--frosted. Not as good a choice.

I found a home for a toy my dog won't play with. Because Chico is a fetching fool, a few years back I bought a GoDogGo automatic ball launcher. He refused to run after "those" balls and preferred the one that he just dropped at my feet. Anyway, our local weatherman posted on Facebook that video of the dog using a machine to launch a ball and said "I want that!" So I told him I have something and my dog refuses to use it and he can have it for his three dogs. I'm going to clean it up today and he'll pick it up next week. I'm glad to get rid of it so we have more space under the sink in our BBQ area.

Shannon in ATL
07-13-2013, 08:34 PM
Allison - I've seen you mention the paprika app. I need to try it, my recipes are in no way organized.

Yes, cereal for kids and teenagers is a good mantra. And the extruded image is one I'm going to remember. I love shredded wheat, but haven't bought it in a while. Probably better off that way. :)

alinnell
07-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Oh, Shannon, I love Paprika. If you find a recipe online, it's really easy to cut and paste it into the app, and you can add a photo to make it more enticing. There is a tab for nutrition info, although most of mine are without that info. You can categorize into many different categories (you can build your own categories), so if you're looking for poultry, just choose that. You can rate your own recipes (five star method) and you can add it to more than one category (Italian, poultry, etc.). You have the option of adding prep time, cook time and number of servings (which can be changed if you need more or less).

I also like ziplist.com so if I see a recipe while at work, I can add it to zip list and then when I'm at home I pull up ziplist and then can add it to Paprika.

Of course, you can also type the recipe as well--something I had to do with a lot of mine.

neurodoc
07-14-2013, 09:09 PM
Well, courtesy of a stomach virus (and it was nasty), I am currently at my lowest weight of the last few months. Sadly, it's STILL nearly 4 pounds over my goal weight, though below "red line" for the first time. And I've been eating 1500 cal/day instead of 1200 and maintaining. Funny, this is the second stomach bug I've had in a month - the first one hit me just as I was flying to Greece (and made the first day and a half of my vaca absolutely miserable).

dstalksalot
07-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Another thumbs up for shreaded wheat. My go to before I changed my breakfast habits was grape nuts topped with sugar. I wonder if I will ever have that again ? These days fresh fruit, almonds and oats are my go to.

This week was tough TOM mixed with minimal activity and more food than usual. Down .2 pounds ( point two) but I some how feel like I was off plan.....I think I am feeling guilty because I am not losing and moving into maintainance. Is this normal? This was the plan after all but I feel guilty because I am not trying for a lower weight. Or maybe I am secretly wanting to lose more? I can't figure it out.

alinnell
07-14-2013, 09:36 PM
I'm hoping I don't get sick before or during my vacation. I'm starting on an eggwhite breakfast for the next week, keeping lunch the same (Smart Ones with a yogurt) and a light dinner in hopes of losing a pound or two before I leave. If all else fails, I've ordered some new Spanx.