100 lb. Club - Getting out of the 220s and 230s (2013)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Goddess Jessica
07-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Starting a new thread due to the length of the old thread!

zoesmom
07-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Thanks!

Lizzyg
07-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Mainly just posting so I can subscribe to this thread :)

So far a decent day - I did 15 modified push ups and a 3.77 mile run. I hope I'll kick these 220s butt soon!

cincorn
07-08-2013, 08:19 AM
Good morning lovely ladies!

I'm back from 4 days camping at the Lake. I had a blast but I did gain 1 lb., weighing in this morning at 225.6.:( Actually, I'm pretty happy it wasn't worse! I did drink 12 beers over the course of the 4 days and I over-ate one day too. :devil:

I'm back on track today! I'm going to the gym this morning and start hitting it again!!! I have my cousin's weekend this coming weekend so I probably will be off plan again, but this time only 2 days...It's alcohol that's my downfall during camping, vacations, celebrations...man, am I an alcoholic or something???? :?:

See my feet - I LOVE reading your posts. :hug: Hang in there friend...we WILL get out of this thread.

Lost a filling at the lake so got to call the dentist this morning and see if I can get in for some emergency dental. UGH! I have horrible teeth and most have multiple fillings. I'm afraid this one won't be able to be saved and I have no dental insurance. :cry:

purplekitten7
07-08-2013, 08:38 AM
Hello Chickies,

I was very naughty over the weekend, Mr Potter and I are big F1 nuts - watched the German Grand Prix and made German food to go with it; we made pretzels and ate bratwurst and made some chocolate cake (healthy versions of some of the ingredients but still not really healthy) and we drank German beer...basically a very naughty weekend! Up 1lb from last week so I'm now 3lbs above my ticker weight - oops!

On the upside, I did a 5.72k run on Saturday and I'm off to the gym tonight so damage management time!

Hope you're all having a good day!

zoesmom
07-08-2013, 08:40 AM
I pinged back to 236 after a 4 day long weekend. But, it was only a 2 pound gain..I KNOW I can knock these two pounds off...and I suspect most of it is water weight considering I never ate over 1500 calories. Now to just get back on track...hope everyone has a slam bam day!

SeeMyFeet
07-08-2013, 09:27 AM
My my! You ladies have been naughty! Even so, the scales have been kind to you all. You will all have that # or 2 knocked off in no time! Especially with all that running you're all doing. You go girls!

Are we going to have to sit MrP down and have a little chat? We can't let him corrupt our Purplekitten, can we? Perhaps I'll introduce him to DH--lock them both in a room with German food and beer. Their version of heaven/my version of...well...(bleh!).

Haven't been so angelic myself. Had good intentions of keeping calories ultra low. Did fine until evenings. But staying busy and getting lots of stuff done. Gardening. Cleaning. Prolly lost 1lb by feeding the mosquitoes, then gained back another 5# from the itchy bumps. Majorly bad last night....Hubs grilled steak, and I made mashed potatoes for DS. I had the steak and potatos and skipped the salad. And for some stoopid reason, I had ice cream before bed. Why...oh why??? But "healthy" ice cream....with cherries..ha..

But...drumroll...since I've returned home, the scales have been moving down. Go figure? 1# from ticker weight, and 5# closer to the next thread.

5 day work week. Time to get busy. Let's do this, ladies!!

purplekitten7
07-08-2013, 09:49 AM
SeeMyFeet - I know! I feel very naughty! Far too much meat and potatoes...well that and too much Beer! Mr P is generally very good for keeping me on plan, although we do tend to share a bottle of wine every now and then ;) but he comes along to the gym and is completely on board with trying out healthy recipes and eating lots of veg!

Mmmm, homemade broccoli soup for lunch (see, I'm good really!) - although we're having a heatwave so it's not the most weather appropriate food choice! Still, it was out of my healthy stash in the freezer rather than the alternative of me buying something during the day!

Issaknits
07-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Good morning everyone! After hopping around the 240's for weeks, I can finally join you. :D Weighed in at 238.6 this morning, which is just 3.6 pounds away from my next mini-goal!

Hope everyone has a great day!

nitrus29
07-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Hiii all.. hope you all had a fabulous weekend. Mine was full of ups and downs.. Ups: 4 days off from work, spent an amazing time off with the bf.. drove down to Myrtle beach :sunny: and then further south till Savannah and back! :D
Downs: TOM and 5 days of NO exercise AND a lot of ice cream!!! :o
All in All I weigh a pound less today (224) so I guess I didn't totally fall off the wagon! Waiting to hit the gym tonight!!!

zoesmom
07-08-2013, 11:44 AM
:wave: Glad to see you again issaknits!!

cincorn
07-08-2013, 04:18 PM
YaY! Issaknits is back!:)

Spent $150 getting my tooth "patched" with bonding---it wasn't just that the filling came out after all, my tooth broke off! It was mostly filling and very little tooth left my dentist said. Also, I have to have a crown...that's $1,000. :eek:YIKES! I sure hated to tell my husband that news!!! He doesn't understand because he's only had 1 cavity in all in 54 years!

cincorn
07-09-2013, 09:55 AM
224.0 this morning! :goodscale Lost the holiday weight, PLUS! I'm only 1 lb. away from my first mini-goal (25 lb. lost) and 4 lb.s from saying bye-bye to this thread!!! I noticed this thread has slowed down so I think a lot of us have already moved on down.

nitrus29
07-09-2013, 11:11 AM
cincorn - a lot of us want to move on down but these 2 decades have been the longest ever, I guess that's why not much noise around. Woke up to 224 again this morning. 2 short of my next mini goal of 40 lbs loss and 4 short of getting out of here too!

SeeMyFeet
07-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Dang! Cincorn passed me up! Nitrus too!! Aiiieee!! (road rage! road rage!)

225 again the morning. It's really weird how my scale has stopped bouncing around. Glad it's not going up. Wish it would go down faster.

:hug: for the tooth Cincorn. Nitrus and purplekitten and their BFs! Too much fun, ladies!

Yay! Zoesmom and Issaknits are here! They're at our heels....breathing down our collars.....trying to pass us up....Did Lizzyg leave us behind?

Why IS it that when you scratch one mosquito bite, ALL of them simultaneously itch like crazy?? And how did that one skeeter find my bum anyhow?

cincorn
07-09-2013, 01:01 PM
ohhh! Seemyfeet, Nitrus and I are all basically at the same weight! We are dieting/weight loss triplets. Zoesmom, issaknits and purplekitten are coming up on us fast!! Way to go ladies! The 220's have just been soooooo slow to move down!!

PreciousMissy
07-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Hola ladies!

It took me a while to catch up on this, and the last thread, but I'm thrilled to see everyone is doing well!

I had 5 days off from work, and was busy during all 5, but I managed to get so many things done that I've been putting off.

I also went to a BBQ for the 4th. Oh the food. There were probably 40 people there and each person averaged 1-2 homemade dishes. The worst part, it was all stuff that I had never had before, and probably never would see again (<-- excuse) so I took a bite of everything that looked appealing. I was so stuffed by the end...one of those "why did I have that last bite" kind of stuffeds. Thankfully I managed to eat light the next day.

224 today. I think the long weekend managed to turn my 4lb of water weight into real weight. I've managed to lose these same 4 lb 2 times before, maybe the 3rd time is the charm ;).

Have a fantabulous day everyone!

Issaknits
07-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the welcome, ladies. :D I'm ready to show those 230's I mean business!

Seemyfeet: I think all mosquito bites are connected. You brush against one and the others are all "Hey! We're here too! Itch-o-rama device ACTIVATE!" Kinda runs with the same idea of someone mentioning poison ivy: even when you don't have it, you itch like crazy for a split second just thinking about it.

Up a pound, but I can tell that's water weight. My mom had hand surgery yesterday and the waiting room was too packed to stand up and walk around in. Everything went well and she's on the mend, but my legs and ankles were swollen afterwards! Probably won't lose anything tomorrow, I'm finding out that I either stay the same or gain a tiny bit on my lifting days.

purplekitten7
07-10-2013, 04:13 AM
My ticker is back to being true! Whoosh fairy visited me last night! I have been holding on to some serious water weight! Two days of being back on track and drinking LOADS of water (rather than german beer) had popped me back down to where I belong...now to get my ticker moving downwards!

I've got to catch you three (cincorn, nitrus29, SeeMyFeet) - you're making me look bad for loitering in the 230's for so long! :(

cincorn
07-10-2013, 09:18 AM
I met my first mini-goal today!:D 223.0 on the scales = 25 lbs. gone forever! The race is on now ladies! I stayed around 227-228 for SO LONG and now the weight is finally started moving much better! 2-teens here I come!:dancer:

Precious Missy I was sure you had moved on down to the 2-teens thread! Good to see you! You'll get that 4 lb.s off!

My next "challenge" is this weekend (so soon after the holiday!) I am going on my yearly cousin's weekend with my 2 cousins...we are going to the beach. I'll miss my workouts for 4 days AND the cocktails will flow. I'm sure I'll have to have some gulf coast shrimp too! You've got to live a little right?:beach:

nitrus29
07-10-2013, 10:58 AM
cincorn ~ Woo Hoo for hitting mini goal!! :carrot:

I hit mine this morning too! Weighed In at 222.2 !!! :dance: That's a 40 lbs loss so far!! Oh the joys those horrendous 'planks' are bringing me these days :D:D:D

purplekitten, issa, precious, seemyfeet - come on, come on catch up already!! ;)

SeeMyFeet
07-10-2013, 11:20 AM
You too, PreciousMissy!!! And Cincorn down a # !!!! And now Nitrus moving down!!! It's a Ninja Warrior battle to be the first out of this thread! Don't look back, ladies, I'm on your heels!! (What's the prize for getting out first?)

Another 225 today! Nothing short of a miracle. Same number 3 days in a row!! Never happened before. (think I'll purchase a lottery ticket today, Ha) Weird weird weird. Me did good yesterday...kept calories under 1000....until midnite, when I had me some edamame and a glass of wine (or two) with Hubs....why, oh why?...obviously, a trouble spot I need to remove. This weight loss "effort" has been slow and painful....like surgery with a butter knife....and I need to get out the power saw! That being said, while drying my hair this morn, I checked myself out in the mirror. Without my glasses, I don't look too bad!!

ooooooh Issaknits, I hear ya on the legs. Don't know what's going on with mine these past few weeks. I had an out of towner where I walked on hot pavement in the same pair of shoes (bad, quick packing job) followed by lots of sitting for a week. My feet and legs have not been the same since. I've been taking aspirin every day, and I've stopped doing squats. Yet another reason to get this weight off!!!

Happy hump day, all! I'll be scratching mosquito bites like a monkey all day. (I think one must be in my bedroom.)

PreciousMissy
07-10-2013, 02:02 PM
issaknits, your "Itch-o-rama device ACTIVATE!" made me think of "Wonder Twins! Activate!!!" (boy, did I just date myself there, lol.)

purplekitten, yay on the woosh fairy! I drank tons of water yesterday, I was wondering why she didn't visit me...she was already busy with you!

cinicorn, I'm starting to think I'll be here forever! I'm thrilled for your 25lb! What an accomplishment!!!!!

nitrus, 40lb!!!! I'm in awe! You've done so well!!!!

seemyfeet, the prize for getting out first is that person gets to welcome everyone else into the new thread upon their arrival!

224 today. I sure do miss the days when I was lamenting over being 220 again ;). I just had a high sodium soup for lunch so I'm sure my scale will read 224 tomorrow, too.

Two good things that happened today:

1) I walked into an office where two co-workers were there and they both commented on how they liked the top I was wearing. Then went on to say that they discuss my clothes a lot and have joked about convincing my boyfriend to let them raid my closet when I'm not home (I didn't find it inappropriate for them to say all of this, we're pretty close co-workers). It was nice to get such an off the cuff compliment!

2) Went to the restroom just a bit ago and it looks like my spare chin (that I've kept around for chin emergencies) is shrinking! It's the first time that I've actually noticed anything in my face.

So, to go along with my (from what I was told) pretty top and slimmer looking chin is a great big smile today!

I hope everyone has a spectacular afternoon!

Issaknits
07-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Haha! "I'm a tiger!" "I'm a...bucket of water?" Can't remember if that came on before or after Thundercats (how about dating myself there too?) but I loved that show! Way to go with the compliments, that's fantastic.

Ooooh boy. I might just be signing up for my first 5k pretty soon. There's a color run in Austin in November that looks like loads of fun. 4 months out is plenty of time to get into some sort of walking/jogging shape, right? *excited*

nitrus29
07-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Rest your feet up SeeMyFeet, maybe that will help the soreness?

Compliments always feel SO good PreciousMissy - I have gone down pant sizes and I haven't really bothered to update my wardrobe so my clothes look baggy on me. Coworkers can't seem to figure it out, the other day one of them asked me if I did something to my hair :dizzy: I took it as a compliment towards the weight loss ;):D

Good luck with the 5K Issaknits I forgot I had signed up for one this month end. It's a "Glow-in-the-Dark 5K dance party" in NY where everyone wears black and has those glow sticks jewelry and they dance/walk/run the 5K followed by a dance party. Oh, and it's at night (like duh) I am nervous since it's my first but the fact that it isn't a serious marathon with people cheering on the sidelines and that I can wiggle my big behind to the music the whole distance is calming my nerves :D

STorres43
07-10-2013, 05:00 PM
I am new here. Was working out tirelessly and endless for three years straight.
Total loss was 40 pounds. Now I have gained back around 24 pounds. Have totally burnt out on working out. Need to somehow get myself back on that horse! I have been YoYoing 3 pounds for the last 3 weeks.
This week I am trying to eat better and drink more water.
Just need to be motivated to work out. I check out dvds from the library but do not ever use them. Maybe if I actually buy one?

purplekitten7
07-11-2013, 05:42 AM
SeeMyFeet - hope your legs feel better soon!

PreciousMissy - sorry, I was totally hogging the whoosh fairy but she's all yours now! I sent her your way with a big old kick up the rear ;)

Issaknits - 4 months is plenty of time! I'm doing a colour run in September - so excited!

nitrus29 - that glow in the dark 5k sounds fun!

STorres43 - welcome! It can be too easy to burn yourself out with constant working out! Make sure you give yourself rest days in between! Start small and you'll be back on that horse in no time!

I'm going to a christening Saturday - eek! Nervous because:
a) I'll be meeting some of Mr P's friends for the first time
b) I'm wearing a dress
c) There's a buffet afterwards

Oh lord what have I let myself in for!

zoesmom
07-11-2013, 07:54 AM
I....i...moved!!!! 233! :d

cincorn
07-11-2013, 08:25 AM
:cp: Yay! Zoesmom! Love those scales moving down!!!
:welcome2:STorres I don't like working out either but I try to think of it as something like brushing my teeth...don't enjoy doing it but like the results LOL! Maybe you were doing too much or working too strenuously? Do something you enjoy. My daughter likes running 5K's. She and her friends have a lot of fun doing that! I have arthritis and neuropathy in my feet and legs so I have to battle through pain in my feet on the treadmill...about 15 minutes in they are numb and I can make it through!
Purplekitten and Issaknits - awesome on doing the 5k's! Fun and Fitness at the same time. Purplekitten, get a big salad and eat it first off of that buffet! Maybe you will be too full for richer foods after that.
PreciousMissy - you crack me up! Losing a chin is a MAJOR accomplishment IMO...I carry weight in my face and I HATE IT! Here's a hug for hanging in there! :hug: Seemyfeet- I LOVE reading your posts here! I love your wit and attitude! :lol:

I am down to 222.2 this morning! I am chasing you Nitrus!

I am going to get my hair colored and a pedicure this morning. Then my cousin is coming this afternoon from Oklahoma and we are meeting her sister in Houston tomorrow morning for a trip to Galveston! :beach:It will be difficult to avoid the adult beverages that I so love! What's lying on the beach without a margarita in your hand? Can it even be done?:devil:

SeeMyFeet
07-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Yay Zoesmom ! (but...it's the number that must not be spoken! shudder!)

Cincorn! I'm trying to figure out how you're working that disappearing act. :mad:

Ugh! Ugh! Ugh! Back up to 227 :( . How? Why? 1300 calories yesterday. No complex carbs. Maybe it was the cantaloupe? I could just cry.

I don't know what this pain/stiffness/swelling is all about. Started before the mosquito bites. In weird places. Bottom of one foot. Outside the other ankle. Back of legs. One arm. As if I overdid the weightlifting, but I've backed off exercise. Stretching and a few squats, gingerly done. Aspirin helps.

Well, I'm going to take time right now to plan my day and reflect on what I can do to get my life & weight loss to go better. And try to get into a better mood! Ugh!

zoesmom
07-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Yay Zoesmom ! (but...it's the number that must not be spoken! shudder!)

:lol: I am suddenly very, very scared....

Issaknits
07-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Hello, STorres! Just start back with small things. When I started working out, I didn't really have a plan. During my lunch break, I went up and down the stairs. A week or so later when I could to a lot of "laps" on the stairs, I started walking around the building. Eventually I worked up to the exercise bike and most recently, weightlifting and walking the track. I think if I would have done all of this at one time, it would have been too much, too soon and I would have quickly burnt out.

Ooh, the glow in the dark run sounds like it'll be lots of fun! I'm getting excited for the color run - all the pictures from past runs make it look like it's awesome. Unfortunately, I went all gung-ho on the track last night before lifting weights to see if I could even *do* 5K and my weak ankle gave me heck after the one mile mark. Just to be safe, I've made an appointment with a local foot doctor to have everything checked out. Walking is pain-free, but jogging might need to be put on hold until I get the green light.

Well, I found out that my weight pattern is pretty constant. The day after a heavy weight session is when I jump up at least half a pound. I know it's just water weight so my muscles can repair themselves, but still. Urgh. And I had a lightbulb moment this morning: I've been feeling pretty blah and out of sorts...turns out I've been missing my vitamins! I've been so focused on taking care of my mom this week that I've been letting myself slide. She's feeling loads better, so time to get back on track!

purplekitten7
07-11-2013, 10:56 AM
zoesmom - Woot! Well done for moving! 233 is my nemesis but I'm sure you'll crack it ;)

cincorn - Good advice on the salad, I'm hoping my will power will stick to it! More worried about nervous eating tbh! And drinking...Oh well, I'm hoping to not have much damage to report on Sunday morning!

SeeMyFeet - you poor thing! I'm planning my attack on you-know-who...gonna co ordinate an attack withzoesmom!!! Watch this space! But I agree, you're posts always make me smile :)

Issaknits - take it easy on your ankle! walking is just as good ;)

nitrus29
07-11-2013, 12:51 PM
welcome STorres43 - use this thread for daily accountability, you are sure to feel motivated to stick to your plan! Good Luck !!!

Yaay zoesmom :carrot: 230s were sticky but not as bad as the 240s, you'll be out of here in no time!!

purplekitten7 - Woooooo I'm excited for youuu :D like cincorn said, stick to eating salads first, you will be full faster!

and cincorn - NOOOOO, lying on the beach without a margarita CANNOT be done ;) :devil:!! Enjoy the sun and the drinks, :beach: you can count them within your daily calorie intake and you'll be surprised how you won't put on any during your time off! Happened to me over Independence Day weekend! I am still at 222.2 today, you are making me want to run out of here faster!! :running:

SeeMyFeet and Issaknits - take it easy with the workouts! If your body is aching post workouts, that's okay but if it's hurting when you put pressure on joints, listen to your body, you don't want to injure yourself!! :no:

Issaknits
07-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Completely agree with taking it easy. I was going to just walk around the track tonight, but I think I'm going to play it safe and hang out on the recumbent bike at the gym instead. Very little to no impact on the ankle + air conditioning = win/win situation! :yes:

One of my friends just mentioned that Republic of Tea is having their no shipping fee on orders over a certain amount. She wanted to know if I wanted to combine orders to get in on it. Silly question. They have this really tasty hibiscus tea that really doesn't need extra sweeteners and an orange/cranberry one that I've been trying to ration until I could make another order. Now all I have to do is try to be patient until it comes in the mail!

PreciousMissy
07-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Good morning all...oh wait, it's afternoon. It's been one of those busy kind of days!

I just wanted to drop in for my daily post. Sorry, no time for personals, but it sounds like you all are keeping focused!

224 today. I thought for sure I'd see some kind of scale movement today, but oh well :shrug:. Maybe tomorrow, tomorrow is a good day for scale movement. If not then the day after that works, too.

purplekitten7
07-12-2013, 06:50 AM
Good Morning Chickies,

I was very good last night, we went out for dinner and I ordered a nice salad and it was actually so yummy! So much better looking than all the pizza's and pasta's I could see being brought out to other tables! I was absolutely stuffed and all for under 340 calories (so claimed the menu). Now i just need to do the same thing at the buffet tomorrow!

At work now and it's coming up to lunch time, I was running late this morning so no packed lunch...uh oh, I see a recipe for disaster when I pop out to grab something! Let's hope I can stick with being strong!

Thank god it's Friday! Although disaster, my face has exploded into spot city...just in time for meeting all of Mr P's friends...awesome!

SeeMyFeet
07-12-2013, 08:51 AM
:hug: Purplekitten. Just show them your big, beautiful smile and they won't notice any spots. Try witch hazel.

Haha! Spare chin "for parts" ! :D PreciousMissy! Maybe I should advertise my spare ar$e...donate my extra parts to someone in need! Win/win?

The only "whooshing" I'm hearing these days is from Auntie Flo's broom as she circles over my house. I wish that cackling ole hag would decide whether she wants to come in or just go away and bother someone else. Hormones. Ugh. Down only 0.5 lb--was hoping yesterday's increase would disappear today. I have the prickly feeling that Valdemort is plotting a return. Lots of defensive spells.

Issaknits
07-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Hanging on by my toes to the 230's. The heat is making me swell like crazy! I have a very nice salad packed for lunch and I'm already on my second big glass of water for the day, so we'll see how that goes.

It won't help in the short term, Purplekitten, but I've been washing my face with oil for the past month and I've noticed my skin is getting clearer. I'll run a washcloth under the hottest water I can stand, wring it out, and let it set on my face to steam for a bit. Then I'll rub a nickel or quarter sized squeeze of oil (the only one I had on hand in the pantry was peanut oil, but you can use olive, avocado, almond, etc.) onto my face and let that sit while I'm doing something else. This works well in the shower; while I'm shampooing my hair, I'll let the oil do its thing. Then I'll run the same washcloth under more hot water, do the steam thing again, and then gently rub the cloth over my face to get rid of surface dirt and excess oil. Rinse with cool water and you're done!

Instead of keeping a huge bottle of peanut oil on the rim of the tub, I found one of those little travel squeeze bottles to use. I had run out and hadn't refilled, so I went back to using what was left of my old face wash the other day. My face got red, broke out, and the patches of dry skin on the tops of my cheeks showed up again. I went back to the oil treatment and everything calmed down today. I've heard if you add a few drops of tea tree oil to your base oil that it's supposed to help with acne, but I haven't tried that yet.

zoesmom
07-12-2013, 09:59 AM
It won't help in the short term, Purplekitten, but I've been washing my face with oil for the past month and I've noticed my skin is getting clearer. I'll run a washcloth under the hottest water I can stand, wring it out, and let it set on my face to steam for a bit. Then I'll rub a nickel or quarter sized squeeze of oil (the only one I had on hand in the pantry was peanut oil, but you can use olive, avocado, almond, etc.) onto my face and let that sit while I'm doing something else. This works well in the shower; while I'm shampooing my hair, I'll let the oil do its thing. Then I'll run the same washcloth under more hot water, do the steam thing again, and then gently rub the cloth over my face to get rid of surface dirt and excess oil. Rinse with cool water and you're done!

ME TOO!!! Remington recommended it on a thread about 3 months ago and I am one who will do ANYTHING to rid myself of my acne, so...I tried it. And holy hades it works! I will NEVER buy that expensive junk again!

purplekitten7
07-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Ooh, I had seen that on some articles but I wasn't sure I believed it! I bought some tea tree oil today - I'll skip the oil before the Christening but I'll try it out next week and see what happens! Thanks for the advice!

I'm pleased to say I bought a nice salad for lunch, although I was weak and used some of the dressing that came with it - only a quarter of the sachet though...and I still had plenty left at the bottom...what do they think people do with the dressing? Drink it?! Crazy world.

SeeMyFeet - thanks :D

Issaknits
07-12-2013, 10:52 AM
It took a week or two before I saw results, and one of the common things I saw on a lot of the sites (oh Pinterest, how I love thee!) was to not go oil hopping. Off the top of my head, I think it was something like if olive oil doesn't do anything for you, wait a bit before trying sunflower oil or something like that. There was also an article about mixing castor oil with your base oils too, but I'm not too sure on what the ratio was.

I've heard 50/50 on coconut oil. Some people say it's the most awesome thing that's ever awesomed in the history of awesome, others say that while it works as a face wash/moisturizer in the short-term, it tends to clog pores and cause breakouts in the long run. Personally, besides using it as my main cooking oil, I keep it off my face and only use it cosmetically as a deep conditioning hair treatment every so often.

purplekitten7
07-12-2013, 11:14 AM
I think I'll give olive oil a try and see how it goes, I keep meaning to get some coconut oil for my hair but I keep forgetting!

I'll have to try very hard to be patient if my face breaks out though! But if it works in the long run it'll be worth it! I'm 23 now...far too old for teenage spots!

PreciousMissy
07-12-2013, 04:10 PM
issaknits and zoesmom, I heard the same thing about oil working for acne, which goes against what the anti acne companies have promoted for years. They spout that getting rid of the oil will clear your complexion, who knew it was the opposite, lol.

Well, the scale moved...in the wrong freaking direction! :tantrum:

225 today. It's completely my fault. I had pizza last night for dinner. I thought I would be fine since I had a salad for lunch, but no dice. I had a good healthy lunch again today, so maybe things will even back out.

Have a glorious Friday everyone!

Kristeebee
07-13-2013, 08:44 AM
ME TOO!!! Remington recommended it on a thread about 3 months ago and I am one who will do ANYTHING to rid myself of my acne, so...I tried it. And holy hades it works! I will NEVER buy that expensive junk again!

This really works?? How long until you noticed a difference?
Hi gals, I'm in the same boat with ya. I just weighed in this mornin' at 238 :wave:

zoesmom
07-13-2013, 09:44 AM
This really works?? How long until you noticed a difference?
Hi gals, I'm in the same boat with ya. I just weighed in this mornin' at 238 :wave:

I actually noticed a difference the very first day....my face didn't look as greasy come evening. Day three, I started having breakouts and I freaked out...but NONE of them got past the pin head stage and quickly went away. That was impressive to me. By week two, my face was clear as clear. I now occasionally get a break out, but it is never bad and quickly goes away. I LOVE using oil on my face...except for the oil smell. I am a super sniffer and oil makes me blech. but, a tad of lavender extract and all is well :)

Welcome to 238...I found 232.5 this morning...WOOHOO!

SeeMyFeet
07-13-2013, 01:41 PM
Whellll! I went to the cupboard to get more toidy paper this morn' and I found where Hubs hid the potato chips! What is RONG with him? Oh!...I told him to hide that stuff if he is going to buy it....well....he's a very bad hider! Don't worry...I didn't have any...I don't really like chips....especially at breakfasttime. Ha.

But last night he bought pizza for himself and the kids. What is RONG with him? I was good..I only picked at the olives and cheese on one slice, and counted that as 100 cals. Hubs hid the leftovers....very well I must say...in his and the kid's gullet, I expect.

So back down to 225 today. Which is where I was on Monday..and T and W...Sigh...Don't know why I went up on Thu...I have been very consistent with calories...very little in the way of processed carbs and very low fat...And I feel like crap and not really exercising, so that doesn't help...Now, I'm thinking I contracted something from a bug bite...must've happened a few weeks ago...

Hey, I use olive oil, too. Great eye makeup remover. On the advice of an Indian friend years ago, I started using an olive oil/egg yolk mix, which is more of a mask. It works better to soften my skin than oil alone, but I don't use it very often because of the messiness. Other than softening, I can't say oil really makes much of a difference, but then again, I don't have problems with "breakouts". My skin problem is the occasional single mountain that is sooo embarrassing, painful, and difficult to conceal. For that, I swear by witch hazel--it keeps them from developing and helps with redness.

Great! :( Zoesmom is about to pass me up! Grrrr Don't get too comfortable around here Kristeebee, or you'll be left behind!

evolving
07-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Hello :) I am new here but after almost two months spent bouncing between 231.6 and 232.4 I'm ready to be done and over {well under, actually} the 230's!

I started using my total gym again this past week for the first time in almost a year. We moved last august and it's been in our garage ever since. Last weekend we cleaned, purged and re-arranged our living room so we could bring it in and leave it in one place. So far I've worked out 5/6 days and am happy with that. Tuesday and Sunday are the rest days I picked since those are my super-busy family days.

This week's challenge is to purchase, prepare and remember to take my lunch and snacks to work. We have also decided to suck up and deal with the extra cost involved in not using carb-only meals such as pasta as a dinner option. Pasta as half a meal or a side is one thing but the huge bowls of pasta with ragu meat sauce as the only dish are off the menu.

anyways, that's me in a nutshell.

purplekitten7
07-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Happy weekend chickies,

I survived the Christening! It was boiling but had a really good day! I wore my pretty new dress (and totally rocked it by the way). The buffet wasn't too much of a challenge, turned out to be a few plates of sandwiches and snacky things, I picked at one or two but mostly avoided it all. Unfortunately, it did lead to me being STARVING by the time we were driving home and I ended up giving in to a Chinese takeaway! This morning the scale was holding steady so looks like no harm done!

Having a clear out today, very therapeutic! Have thrown out some old clothes and packed away the winter coats!

Issaknits
07-15-2013, 09:14 AM
Good morning all! Hope you had a wonderful weekend. Mine was like a Clint Eastwood movie.

The Good: Week 2 of lifting weights has seen an itty bitty change. I've gone down 1/2 an inch in both arms and I've been improving my strength. I also went down an inch in both my thighs since the last time I measured them and I've been consistant in doing 7 miles on the bike at the gym, so yay for building endurance!

The Bad and Downright UGLY: Well, we're experiencing some technical difficulties over here. I went to weigh myself yesterday morning and was shocked when the scale said 231 after reading 239 for almost a solid week. I thought "wait a minute, something looks weird..." and went to grab a 5 lb. bag of flour (I weighed it on my kitchen scale just to make sure beforehand) and the bathroom scale said it only weighed 2 lbs. I stepped back on the bathroom scale and *this* time it told me I was 247, then 258, then 224.

Long story short, I replaced the batteries. The flour read 5 lbs, my 10 lb dumbbell read 10 lbs, and I weighed 242. :mad: The only upside to this is that now I know my scale is accurate. I did manage to lose the last 2 pounds of weightlifting-induced water retention, so I'm actually at 240.0 this morning. I'm looking to actually be in the 230's for real this time sometime this week, so here's hoping. Not changing my ticker because I will get to that number. *determined*

SeeMyFeet
07-15-2013, 11:27 AM
:hug: Issaknits! At least you're losing inches...I'm just losing my mind. My joint pain thingy is better, but I'm not exercising. Was feeling a tad flu-ish and exhausted this weekend. I have a long list of things to do, yet I have that "I don't know what to with myself", brain-dead feeling. And I've got Dr Phil's voice in my head "Ah wownt ewe to get eggcited a bowt yuur liiiffe!" Ugh. Did get a few things done tho...and picked up a few more mosquito bites. (I've found that the itching can be staved off by rubbing a bar of soap over the bites.)

Yesterday Up 4.5 ## Super Ugh! Lost 1# of it today. I swear I'm counting every last calorie and not underestimating. I made a pasta dish by special request from DS and ate some Sat nite--all fresh ingredients. I only had 400 cals before dinner and ONLY had the pasta for dinner on a small plate. With water. Really!?! One portion of pasta and 4.5 # gain?

PreciousMissy
07-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Good morning all!

issaknits, I never thought about testing my scale with something that has a predefined weight on it! Thanks for the great tip! Too bad I've already opened my flour and sugar.

Well, 226 today *sigh*. I've become too lax, that's all there is to it. I'm eating regular portions, but it's of calorie dense food, not veggies and chicken. Time to buckle down and get serious again!

When I was at the store yesterday I picked up a couple of packed green salads from the deli. I figured if all I had to do was grab it and go I'd be inclined to eat it. Silly me, I didn't look at the calorie content until I got home. One of them is 650 calories! And it's not a big salad!!!! I'm thinking if I remove some of the bacon bits and use my own low calorie dressing I should be able to knock that down a bit...but seriusly a 650 calorie salad?!?!?!

nitrus29
07-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Is it even possible to stay On Plan over the weekends?? :?: After being good the whole week, I ended up not exercising either Saturday or Sunday and I also ate stuff that I normally would not eat during the week BUT I didn't binge !! (pats back) and I didn't weigh myself the whole weekend either !! :p
Scale showed 222.0 this morning and I am pleased :D
0.2 down from Friday, 2.0 more to go !!

Issaknits
07-16-2013, 08:59 AM
:hug: SeeMyFeet! I'm glad that you're feeling better. And I had no idea soap would stop bug bite itches, very neat. Was it a certain type of soap or just a regular bar like Dove or Ivory?

My Super Duper Incredibly Accurate(tm) scale reports that I'm 239.8, even with yesterday's heavy lifting day and Aunt Flo threatening to show up a week early. Third time's the charm: I'm officially in here! Now just to survive this afternoon's lunch meeting. We're going to a steak house where everything is either smothered in gravy, battered and fried, or covered in cheese. I scoped out the menu last night and I've decided on a 6 oz. steak with steamed veggies, which was pretty much the safest thing to order there. Even their side salads are mini-calorie bombs.

zoesmom
07-16-2013, 09:15 AM
:hug: SeeMyFeet! I'm glad that you're feeling better. And I had no idea soap would stop bug bite itches, very neat. Was it a certain type of soap or just a regular bar like Dove or Ivory?

My Super Duper Incredibly Accurate(tm) scale reports that I'm 239.8, even with yesterday's heavy lifting day and Aunt Flo threatening to show up a week early. Third time's the charm: I'm officially in here! Now just to survive this afternoon's lunch meeting. We're going to a steak house where everything is either smothered in gravy, battered and fried, or covered in cheese. I scoped out the menu last night and I've decided on a 6 oz. steak with steamed veggies, which was pretty much the safest thing to order there. Even their side salads are mini-calorie bombs.

I actually just posted on eating out yesterday in another thread! I am an eating out pro...I eat out anywhere from 1-3 times a week due to working two jobs, taking kiddo to swim, ballet, and baseball practice (oh jeez...soccer starts soon! ARGH!) I ALWAYS stay on plan when eating out...just took FOREVER to learn how. Here were the tips I had posted:

First...if possible ALWAYS scope out the online menu in advance. Usually the nutritional value is listed, so you can base off that. Plan what you want, and STICK TO IT! (This is the hardest step!)

Second...if you are prone to last minute cavings, such as an appetizer or desert, bring cash only with you. Leave all other types of payment at home. And only bring enough for your entree, drink, and tip. Harder to get the extras is you simply do not have the money for them.

Third...always ask what the fresh/steamed veggies are. The menu doesn't always list them, but they are there. You can ask for graveys and sauces to be omitted. Ask for butter (and sugar, yes, they DO add sugar) not to be added to the veggies or fish. Ask that the your chicken or beef be cooked without the marinade. Remember, YOU pay their bills, they WILL accomidate you...and if they won't, time to find a place that will.

Fourth...ALWAYS ask for a to-go box to arrive to your table BEFORE your meal arrives. As soon as the food is delivered, half your meal and put it in the box. Use the "out of sight, out of mind" philospophy.

Fifth...Remember that salads ARE NOT the healthiest choice most of the time. Now that your head has just whipped back and you are surprised by this, consider this...they add cheese, eggs, fried meats, GOBS of dressings, croutons, bacon, and on and on and on. Many times, salads have MORE calories than the 6 ounce steak with a side of brocolli...and isn't nearly as filling. If you have a salad, either bring your own dressings that are diet approved, or order it on the side and DIP your fork in it each time you take a bite. Order it without the cheese, without the croutons, without the bacon, and only grilled meats, never fried.

Sixth...bring your own dipping sauces. Heintz makes a sugar free ketchup that easily slips in your purse. With 1 net carb and 10 calories per serving...it is a LOT better than what they have there...and tastes the same. WF makes a decent enough BBQ sauce. Ask for honey and mustard and make your OWN honey mustard instead of the one prepared in the back that has added sugars.

But most importantly....do NOT dread a slip up. You are human. Slips happen. That is not failure. Failure is accepting the slip up as fact and refusing to get back up and starting over. If you do cave and eat bad on one meal, just start over at the very next meal. It is better to not slip...but if you do, it is much better to slip up one meal, than one day, than one week. If you remember that, you will be just fine. :)

nitrus29
07-16-2013, 09:39 AM
220.8 today!! WOOOOOOT!!

PreciousMissy
07-16-2013, 11:02 AM
zoesmom, thanks for posting that! Those are all great tips.

225 today, so we're back on a downward trend. I'm not changing my signature yet...I want to make sure it sticks around first.

High stress this week, I'm putting on two functions in one day, yikes! And, they're both food related. One is a sandwich luncheon and the other is an ice cream social...wish me luck, lol.

Issaknits
07-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Zoesmom, thank you very much for the timely tips and reminders! I wound up ordering the 6 oz. sirloin with dry steamed veggies (zucchini, carrots, cauliflower) and dry steamed broccoli. I did break down and have a single dinner roll, but I'm treating that as an indulgence since I've given up breads :cry: for Paleo. It was buttery and warm and oh so worth it, so I don't feel guilty for breaking my almost three month cavegirl streak at all.

Woo, go Nitrus! Good luck, PreciousMissy, hope your events turn out well.

zoesmom
07-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Zoesmom, thank you very much for the timely tips and reminders! I wound up ordering the 6 oz. sirloin with dry steamed veggies (zucchini, carrots, cauliflower) and dry steamed broccoli. I did break down and have a single dinner roll, but I'm treating that as an indulgence since I've given up breads :cry: for Paleo. It was buttery and warm and oh so worth it, so I don't feel guilty for breaking my almost three month cavegirl streak at all.

Woo, go Nitrus! Good luck, PreciousMissy, hope your events turn out well.

:carrot: YEAH! I am so glad it was perfectly timed! It seriously took me forever to figure all of it, and that was despite my doctor telling me over and over and over again every two weeks! I guess you can say I am thick skulled :D KUDOS to you for mission accomplished!

2muchbelly
07-16-2013, 11:52 PM
ready to move on out of these 220's.

225 is kicking my butt, but If i can make it from 292 (HW), I can make it past this.

hope every1 is having a good night.

zoesmom
07-17-2013, 07:43 AM
GAH! SO...CLOSE...

230.1 as of this morning...

onagain1
07-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Finally, finally, FINALLY....I saw 239.5 this morning. I flew through the 240's until the final two pounds, and then I was stuck for two and a half weeks - ugh! Hoping that this will stick and ready to fly through the 230's.

cincorn
07-17-2013, 09:23 AM
Good morning chickadees (and welcome newbies to this thread)
I'm back from my vacation at the beach. I stepped on the scales yesterday and almost cried. :cry:I weighed 225.4 (up from 222.2 before vacation). This morning is better, 224.0 but still, I'm kicking myself for undoing all my hard work in just 3 days! :rollpin:
I haven't been to the gym in a whole week so I'm headed there shortly. Maybe I'll feel better after a workout.
Mad at myself! I'm not going to change my ticker unless I am still over 222 by friday! :mad:

Issaknits
07-17-2013, 09:56 AM
Morning all! 239.4 today, which is down from 239.8. Every little bit counts.

You know you're focused on fitness when a co-worker asks you what day it is and instead of saying 'Wednesday' you automatically go 'lifting day for back and shoulders.' I'm in the middle of Week 3 and I'm starting to see a few results! So excited!

And the tea I ordered arrived! :coffee: Can this day get any better?

nitrus29
07-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Welcome back cincorn.. Hope u had a drama free vacation ;)
Good job on the losses issaknits.. zoesmom
I weighed in at 219.6 today.. not going to move out of here till i see the 2teens tomorrow as well :D

PreciousMissy
07-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Good morning all!

cincorn, the next time you go to the beach take me with you....PLEEEAAASEE?

224, I think I'll give my signature back it's flower today!

I have a new motivation to help keep me on track. Vanity! We just booked our Christmas trip and I want to look svelte (well, at least as svelte as I can get, lol) when we go!

So, let's see how far 5 months of staying focused will get me!

PreciousMissy
07-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Nitrus....yayayayayayay!!!!!!

zoesmom
07-17-2013, 11:37 AM
WELL done Nitrus!!!!!

Issaknits
07-17-2013, 12:37 PM
That's fantastic, Nitrus!

purplekitten7
07-18-2013, 06:38 AM
Issaknits - sorry to hear about your fibbing scale, I hate it when it does that! Well done on losing inches though!

SeeMyFeet - glad you're feeling a bit better, sucks about the bites though! That would drive me mad!

PreciousMissy - It's so annoying that packaged salads have all that rubbish in them as well, sneaky!

nitrus29 - Well done! I'm so happy for you!

zoesmom - awesome eating out advice! I'm surprisingly good when it comes to eating in restaurants - I've always been incredibly insecure and paranoid about eating in front of people I don't know because of my weight so I tend to pick healthier choices so I don't get paranoid they are judging me! Sounds daft I know but it works for keeping on track ;) My weakness is when I'm home alone and there is no one there to judge me...except myself, 10 minutes later!

cincorn - welcome back from the beach, I'm so jealous!

I have become incredibly lazy in this heat! I haven't been to the gym in...a week and a half...omg...I'm a bad person! Think I'm gonna hit the pool tonight as it might be cooler! I have also been drinking far too much, a nice glass of cider just slips down to easy in this weather (we have a heatwave over here in the UK and we just aren't made for this weather!) and we have been making use of the BBQ a bit too much maybe :( I'm bouncing around between 233-236 on a practically daily basis which is annoying, but I know why and only have myself to blame! I will get my head back in the game!

In other news, I passed my driving test on Tuesday so yay me, I'm now a legal driver :D

zoesmom
07-18-2013, 07:44 AM
AND today...229 on the nose :dancer: Oh yeah, I am rocking it this week :D

wannaskipandlaugh
07-18-2013, 07:57 AM
AND today...229 on the nose :dancer: Oh yeah, I am rocking it this week :D

Just have to sneak in and say :woohoo: ZOESMOM! :) BIG GRIN for you!

zoesmom
07-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Just have to sneak in and say :woohoo: ZOESMOM! :) BIG GRIN for you!

Thank you! :D I am stoked! I haven't been in the 220's since 2002!

Issaknits
07-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Way to go, zoesmom! :high:

The power went out at the gym last night, which was okay for me since I was using the bike (either they're on aux. power or they generate their own, IDK) but the poor guy at the treadmill next to me nearly did a faceplant before he caught himself on the handrails.

And I managed to do 7.5 miles in 32 minutes! Instead of doing interval hills, I kept it at a high resistance and focused on keeping my speed in the 13 MPH range with minute sprints in the 15 MPH.

nitrus29
07-18-2013, 10:29 AM
thanks everyone and way to go zoesmom

I DID weigh in at 219.6 again today which means I am officially out of this thread!!!!!! :dance: :carrot: :dance:
..and to think this was the only thread I was subscribed to!! :dizzy:

I'm gonna look forward to seeing all of you in the 2teens thread.. so hurry up already!!! :D

PreciousMissy
07-18-2013, 12:29 PM
Yay zoesmom!!!!! Well done!

nitrus, it's bitter sweet to say good bye, I'm glad to see you moving on, but will miss your posts. Congratulations on moving into the 2-teens!

purplekitten, I think the majority of the calorie content is from the salad dressing. I had one earlier this week and there was enough dressing in the packet for 3 salads!

226 today. I'm not the least bit surprised. I had salty food yesterday and was so busy at work I drank half as much water as I usually do. Today is a little slower so I can rehydrate and flush out the sodium.

Have a wonderful day all!

zoesmom
07-19-2013, 07:40 AM
228.5 as of this morning. I am LOVING this whoosh! Going to hate when it halts...but loving it while I can! :D

Issaknits
07-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Got a "pleasant" surprise this morning. TOM showed up for the monthly party 1. waaaaaaay early and 2. invited his buddies Bloaty and Miss Over Emotional. At least this explains the sudden jump in weight and why I started bawling at a Hallmark commercial the other day.

Urgh. Go home, TOM, you're drunk.

In other news, I think I'm starting to really like this whole running business. I made it a goal this week to walk the long sides of the track and run the short sides, but then yesterday I decided to run the short sides and half of the long sides.

zoesmom
07-19-2013, 09:28 AM
YEAH! I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE running! Never before in my life did I think I would say that! I started back in Feb (mostly walking) and hated it at first and just KNEW I would give it up. Three weeks in, I was addicted to the high I get afterwards. I now run three miles a day and can max out at 7.5 mph for at least a mile, but usually for two. LOVE it....I think because I never could do it in the past and now I can. :D CONGRATS issaknits!!!! (and tell TOM to move on!)

Lizzyg
07-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Sorry I was kind of MIA. Anyway, I'm back down to 221.5. I gained some weight back - mostly bloating and I've been on plan all week :)

Issaknits
07-19-2013, 09:49 AM
I'm working on getting my endurance up. Two weeks ago, I could only do .5 of a mile before my tank ran out of gas. Last week, I made a mile. Yesterday was a mile and a half and I probably could have made it to two miles, but some gnarly shin splints hit on my right leg and I thought I'd better stop before I hurt myself. I'm hoping to keep increasing my distance and decreasing my time (it took me 21 minutes to finish a mile at first, yesterday's mile was done in 19 minutes) so that once the 5k in November rolls in, I'll be in better condition. I'm going to be doing that one with a friend who'll probably won't run much, if at all, because of her knees, but it'll be good to know that I'll be able to keep up with her much longer walking stride and not be completely dead at the end of it. She's only a couple of inches taller than I am, but all those inches seem to be in her legs! :lol: We'll start out walking at the same pace and then all of a sudden she's several feet in front of me.

PreciousMissy
07-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Urgh. Go home, TOM, you're drunk.

:lol3:

Thank you for my first (of hopefully many) laugh of the day!

224 today.

It's going to be a busy day for me...who am I kidding, the whole week has been busy at work. I'm fighting to get my water in, and I failed miserably yesterday. I'm going to be out of the office the majority of the day and my plan is to carry my water cup with me all day. Now, if I can get my horrible memory to remember the plan then I'll be all set :lol:.

Happy Friday all!

Issaknits
07-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Way to go on your whoosh streak, zoesmom!

Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for a post you did in another forum about calorie count and adjusting your BMR and RMR. I've been kinda-sorta using everydayhealth.com's calculator (meaning I haven't adjusted it since I started this whole process last October, eep!)

According to the new info, instead of needing 1700-1800 calories, I need to have 2,102 calories per day in order to lose a pound a week. WHUT. I did change my activity level to reflect my new exercise routine, but I'm not quite sure. Can anyone give me some input?

Weekly activity:
6:30 AM - 8 AM: wake up/get ready for work.
8 AM - 5 PM: desk job. Most activity is walking from my desk every so often to another office just to stretch my legs.
5:15 PM - 6:00 PM: cardio (heart rate normally stays in the 145-160 range, can pass the "conversation test", but just barely once heart rate hits 160+)
6:00 PM - 10:30 PM (on Tues, Thurs, Sat): at home, mostly reading, TV, no real "oomph" activities
7:00 PM - 8:00 PM (on Mon, Wed, Fri): weight lifting. Mostly 3 sets of 10 with 20-30 pound weights while working for lower reps and heavier weights. Can definitely pass the "conversation test".
10:30 PM - 6:30 AM: sleep

Is this enough to qualify for moderate activity (site describes as moderate activity 3-5 days a week) or should I knock it down to light activity (light activity 1-3 times a week)? Even at lightly active, my daily calories need to be at 1,916, which means that I've been eating under calories for quite some time.

Thanks in advance!

zoesmom
07-19-2013, 04:21 PM
LOL! It can be confusing. I am thinking of creating a walk through to show how it is done. 2102 sounds more like maintenance than weight loss. The numbers that calculator provide are maintenance numbers. You have to manually adjust from there.

Looks like your activity is borderline light to moderate. but note, you CAN alter how many calories you eat per day. For example, days you don't exercise, use the sedentary calories. For the days you work out, use the light or moderate. Your BMR and RMR change as you lose/gain weight, age, and increase/decrease activity.

I'll break mine down for you for an example.

Just what is BMR? BMR stands for Basal Metabolic Rate, and is synonymous with Basal Energy Expenditure or BEE. BMR measurements are typically taken in a darkened room upon waking after 8 hours of sleep; 12 hours of fasting to ensure that the digestive system is inactive; and with the subject resting in a reclining position.

And what is RMR? RMR stands for Resting Metabolic Rate, and is synonymous with Resting Energy Expenditure or REE. RMR measurements are typically taken under less restricted conditions than BMR, and do not require that the subject spend the night sleeping in the test facility prior to testing.

Pretty much, it is darn near impossible to get an accurate number of how many calories we burn in a day. Sure, we log our exercise...but how accurate is it? and did we count that gardening? Or cleaning the bathroom? Or any of that other stuff we did? This takes the "guess work" out of logging our calories...more or less.

So...moving forward.

My BMR is 1816 and my RMR is 1773. These are my base numbers and they mean just about nothing as my activity is not factored in. However, the following numbers mean a lot more.

Sedentary--Little or no exercise: 2,179 and 2,128

Lightly Active--exercise or sports 1-3days/week: 2,497 and 2,438

Moderately Active--exercise or sports 3-5days/week: 2,815 and 2,748

Very Active Hard--exercise or sports 6-7days/week: 3,133 and 3,058

Extremely Active--daily exercise or sports or job: 3,450 and 3,369

These are maintenance number only.

If I want to lose weight, I need to make adjustments to these numbers, anywhere from 500 to 1000. If you are getting less than 1200, you should see a doctor (I am seeing one, FWIW.) Normally, you would want to deduct 500 on the lower end of the spectrum and closer to 1000 on the higher end. Since I am doctor supervised, I deduct 1000 and 1500. Make of that what you will.

On the days I do not exercise, my maintenance is 2179 and 2128. I get between 1128 and 1179 calories a day on the days I do not work out.

On the days I bust arse, I go for moderate activity. My maintenance would be 2815 or 2748. But, I get between 1248 and 1315 in calories.

Disclaimer...my doctor recently, as of this week, wants me to up my calories to 1715 - 1815 on work out days.

I lose, on average, 2.22 pounds a week. I have stalls. I have gains. I have weeks like this week where I drop like mad, but, I lose on average 2.22 pounds a week.

There you have it :) Clear as mud, huh? :)

Issaknits
07-19-2013, 05:09 PM
There you have it Clear as mud, huh?

Actually, that was really informative, thank you. :hug: When I was counting calories (from the 267-246 weight range) I was mostly doing Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones, things that I could easily read, control portions, and log in. I haven't been counting calories at all when I went paleo, just portion sizes. I've lost weight that way, but I'm betting that doing size and calorie count would have a bigger impact. Tonight's my Make Grocery List Night and I'm going to look up everything I want to cook up for the week over on http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php to see just where my week stands, minus any unforseen additions that might pop up here and there.

According to the site that you linked to in your earlier post, my BMR is 1,856 and my RMR is 1,804.

Going with light activity for my workout days (I thought moderate was a bit too much) my rates are 2,552 and 2,481 which means I should be getting anywhere between 1,552 and 1,981 calories (cutting 1000 from the high number and 500 from the lower number)

My non-workout days: rate is 2,227 and 2,165 so it should be 1,227 to 1,665 calories. From my personal experience, getting around the 1,200 calories per day mark makes me Crabby McCrankypants, so I'll probably aim for 1,300 to 1,665 calories instead.

Thanks again and sorry for hijacking the thread! :)

zoesmom
07-19-2013, 05:28 PM
If you find it too high on your workout days, you may need to adjust a slight bit more. Rule of thumb is 500 to 1000, but some people, just don't do well with higher calories (years of dieting wrecks your metabolism.) If you happen to be one of those, I know from experience, that deducting 1500 is safe...but then again, I AM under doctor supervison. And no biggie on hijacking..we all do it on occasion :D

fadedbluejeans
07-20-2013, 08:14 AM
Holy cow! I finally made it! 239.2 this morning!

2muchbelly
07-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Almost Out Of Here

nitrus29
07-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Hii all, just popping in 'cause I miss this thread. The 2teens thread is too slow.. no one talks :( so hurry up and get there soon so we can make some noise !!

Issaknits
07-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Good afternoon! Hope everyone had a great weekend. 239.8 still, which is huge since I tend to gain anywhere from 5-10 pounds during TOM. I kicked Bloaty to the curb, but Miss Over Emotional is digging in for the long term visit. Crying over a Cheerios commercial, really? Sheesh.

Fadedbluejeans, hi! Your 21 day challenge sounds like it's going along great, I'm so happy for you!

zoesmom
07-22-2013, 03:29 PM
LOL! Nice, Nitrus Just as long as we are not welcoming you back to this thread :)

PreciousMissy
07-22-2013, 04:38 PM
Hii all, just popping in 'cause I miss this thread. The 2teens thread is too slow.. no one talks :( so hurry up and get there soon so we can make some noise !!

And the mods keep closing our threads because we talk too much, lol.

Good afternoon all! 226 today. I'm not surprised in the least considering all the junk I ate this weekend.

Yesterday I grilled a boat load of chicken breasts and zucchini, which I then froze into individual meal portions, creating my own frozen lunches (eat your heart out Lean Cuisine!!! haha). I used to do that all the time, but got out of the habit. I also bought some prepackaged salads for lunch while grocery shopping. So, between the homemade frozen lunches, and salads, I shouldn't have any excuse to not eat well...but who knows, I may still come up with one.

PreciousMissy
07-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Hello, hello, hello!!!

226 today.

I ate well yesterday, so yay me! I've also eaten well today! I had one of my homemade frozen lunches. I think freezing it then microwaving it dried it out considerably. Luckily the marinade I used is salad dressing, so I have plenty extra to give the next one a little moisture. Of course, now that explains why all the frozen meals are drowning in some kind of sauce!

Have a lovely day everyone!

cincorn
07-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Good morning Chicks! The reason I have been absent this thread is because I have been in the hospital for acute pancreatitis from July 18th through the 23rd (yesterday). Now I've had some serious pain (I thought) with health conditions previously----but I did not know such excruciating pain existed! :(

Anyway, I had nothing but iv fluids, morphine, ice chips for 4 days, then a day of liquid diet and one of low fat before coming home yesterday, so it's no wonder I weigh 220.4 today. Actually, I still have some swelling in my upper abdomen so when it all subsides I suspect I'll be out of this thread. I have to go back next friday for more CT scan to see if the inflammation has gone and make sure there is isn't a lot of necrotic tissue. My doctor has no idea why I had this.

Here is where I need advise. My doctor wants me to be on a low fat diet and I have been doing low carb so I am really going to have to switch gears here. I think I'm going to re-read Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live. I know that is low fat and very nutrient based. Anyone have any low fat tips?

I could also use your prayers chicks. The doctor is also checking my pancreas again because they "saw something" in it from tests in hospital but with all the inflammation cannot tell what it is. Of course my mind has raced ahead to pancreatic cancer.

zoesmom
07-24-2013, 09:41 AM
EWWWW!!!! get better dear circorn! And you are in my thoughts. Hopefully it is something benign!

fadedbluejeans
07-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Cincorn - it's possible that what they saw is just due to the inflammation.
Pancreatitis is awful enough! I'm sending good vibes that it's nothing even more serious.
My sort of brother in law had pancreatitis and was hospitalized last year. He know follows a very strict diet, low fat but most importantly no alcohol, and he is doing well. I don't know why the alcohol is so important, but he cannot even use mouthwash that contains alcohol (he didn't/doesn't have a drinking problem).
Best of luck to you!

Issaknits
07-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Hope you get to feeling better soon, Cincorn! Sending healing thoughts your way.

cincorn
07-24-2013, 10:51 AM
Oh yes fadedbluejeans, NO ALCOHOL. The funny thing is I never drank hardly AT ALL until just a few years ago. Now mostly it's 1-2 drinks per week UNLESS I'm on vacation, camping (in social situations) and never to the point of getting drunk! My dad and my brother were both alcoholics and yet I'm the one who gets pancreatits? Life is not fair is it? But anyway, I never thought about the mouthwash! And thanks for reminding me that it could just be the inflammation. The doctor said that they can't be sure of anything because of the inflammation right now.

PreciousMissy
07-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Cincorn, I'm wishing for the best results for you!! Sorry, no advice on low fat diets, though.

224 today.

Today my department is going out for lunch to celebrate a birthday. I've been to this restaurant before so I know exactly what I'm having...the chopped salad. This salad is ah-maaaa-zing...and that's why it's 1,100 calories :eek:...but, I have a plan! They offer the same salad as a side, which is 550 calories. I'm also going to ask them to go light on the dressing, which is oil based, and add chicken. I also had a shake for breakfast to make sure that I can still eat dinner, but be reasonable about my intake for the day.

I'm not really counting calories (which probably explains why I bounced up to 226 when I was close to leaving this thread, lol), but I am trying to teach myself to be calorie aware, and to know that if I eat cake and ice cream at lunch, lasagna isn't a good choice for dinner. Counting calories caused me way too much anxiety before.

I hope everyone has a wonderful afternoon!

Issaknits
07-24-2013, 04:07 PM
I think I jinxed myself when I said I was amazed about not gaining much during TOM. Woke up this morning and I've zoomed up and over the 238's and smack dab into 241 territory. :mad: It's mostly water weight and at least it's only a few pounds instead of ten or more, but still. Grr. I have recently bumped up my strength training and I'm still having the Day 2 soreness that I usually get after moving up on my lifting weight, so that could be a factor as well.

The good news is that while I might not like what the scale is telling me, I really like what my clothes and tape measure have to say. The majority of my work clothes are getting big almost to the point where I'm going to have to look for new things. I can slide on my slacks since they have adjustable buttons on the waistband that I've been moving over (dusting off my rusty beginner sewing skills!), but my shirts are another story. Going to have to hit the sales racks soon, yay!

PreciousMissy
07-25-2013, 11:18 AM
issaknits, that's the best reason to go shopping!

224 today. It seems that I have the maintaining part down for 224, lol.

Yesterday's lunch went a little differently than I had planned. I did order the salad, but instead of adding chicken I ended up ordering soup. After two bites I decided I didn't like the soup, so I just happily ate my salad :).

Later in the afternoon I really wanted a cupcake from the vending machine, so I went and got a package. I'm very proud of myself...I ate one and gave the other away...and I kept hunting until I found someone who would take it because I knew I would eat it if I kept it, haha!

Have a wonderful day everyone!

fadedbluejeans
07-25-2013, 04:04 PM
Good for you Precious Missy! I am SOOO glad we don't have a vending machine at work!

Issaknits
07-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Ok, so I might have to add a pair of pants in that shopping list. My slacks almost fell off when I stood up to get something from the copier! :o I am so glad no one was in the office just then.

I wasn't really feeling like going to work out tonight, but that completely made my mind up to head to the gym! Progress, no matter what my scale is saying right now! ::feeling optimistic::

purplekitten7
07-26-2013, 06:52 AM
Hello Girls,

Sorry I've been MIA for a while, I'm in a similar situation to PreciousMissy in that I stressed myself out too much counting calories and basically needed a break before I killed everyone! I get so stuck into my own head that I obsess and obsess and probably do myself more harm than good. I think that's why I was stuck.

So I had a week break where I pretty much ate whatever the **** I wanted and generally moped around feeling sorry for myself stuffing my face! Well that was a good idea right! I also completely skipped the gym so will be punished for that when I return!

I am in a better head space now, had some closure conversations with my ex and generally feel like I'm past all the issues we had together, meeting up for brunch tomorrow which may or may not be a good idea, but I feel like it's needed just to close the book on it. Things with Mr P are going great, we realised he spent 1 night at home in the last 6 weeks....so he's moving in officially...which is really quite terrifying but also kind of nice all wrapped up in one! I'll let you know how that develops. On the up side with the rent and bills being split now I am MUCH less stressed about money which will hopefully help keep my crazy levels down.

Anyway, thats enough rambling from me, hope you all have a lovely weekend - I'll probably check in again on Sunday night.

Oh, and 237 just to punch me in the face for being a pig all week :(

Lizzyg
07-26-2013, 07:30 AM
Back down to 220.8 :)

becksdog
07-26-2013, 09:33 AM
Good Morning ALL !! Can I jump in on this thread ? Recently entered the 230's. Been a long time since I have seen them, so happy to be here. Not really sure how these type of threads work, so just a little bit of info about me. I am in week 6 of Medifast and down 17 lbs. Started back on treadmill again this week, hoping to continue with good losses. Hope everyone has a great weekend(they are the hardest times for me when I want to eat junk ! ).

PreciousMissy
07-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Thanks fadedbluejeans!

purplekitten, wow! You have a lot going on right now! Congratulations on you and Mr. Potter going so well!

Sometimes we need those breaks. This is for the rest of our lives and eating lean protein and veggies for every single meal, every single day just isn't going to happen.

I'm trying to be more realistic this time around. I can eat healthy homemade food and salads for 90% of my meals, but there are times where I just need a slice of pizza. Personally, I think it's better to give into the slice of pizza once every 3-4 weeks than to eat a whole pizza in 6 weeks because I've been denying myself.

Of course, the pizza may be why I am stuck at 224 ;).

My win for today: I was going to stop and get donuts for the office (yeah, great excuse...they're for the office!) but knew that I would want one...or three. I drove right past the donut shop and decided to stick to my egg white and turkey sausage sandwich for breakfast.

Issaknits
07-26-2013, 10:40 AM
:welcome2: becksdog! Purplekitten, so happy that things are going well for you and Mr. P! Woo hoo, PreciousMissy on your Win for the Day!

Back down to 239.6 this morning. Today's my track day after work, and I'm trying to get my time on a single mile down under the 23 minute mark I initially timed it for. Wednesday's time was 19:30, so we're working on it. :) Today's also the last day to sign-up for the early bird prices on the 5K in November. My friends and I are stuck on a name: we're going for either something generically geeky or Doctor Who related, but we can't make up our mind.

cincorn
07-27-2013, 08:23 AM
Well chickadees, I guess it's so long for now. I'm 219.6 this morning. :D Hurry up and get into the 2-teen's with me! I think it will stick because I still don't have much of an appetite, so it's not hard to stay on track! My doctor put me on a low fat diet, and me being me and not one for moderation, have decided to go back to the dieting style that I felt best on and got down to 197 on 3 years ago. I managed to keep it off until I went to Italy 2 summers ago. So after getting out of the hospital tuesday, and being told very low fats (I had been doing low carb---maybe too low?) I am going back to Fit For Life and shooting for 30-40- percent RAW, 90 percent total diet of vegetables, fruit, nuts, beans and only 10 percent for dairy/meat/grains. That's my goal anyway. I am drinking green smoothies every day. See you guys down in the next thread. HURRY!:wave:

SeeMyFeet
07-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Hello Ladies,

Cincorn !!! Pancreatitis !!!! :yikes: and :hug: AND you're leaving us ???? :cry:

Well....I must say....these past few weeks have not been good. Remember those mosquito bites I was complaining about? Turns out, they were chiggermite bites. Duh! I saw the mosquitoes biting me while I was gardening, but not the little spiders. Haven't been bitten by those nasty things since I was a kid. And I keep getting them, even though I am carefully avoiding the grass!! ??? But anyway, somehow I also developed viral arthritis. That's the hypothesis anyway. Feeling better now and hoping hoping hoping it doesn't come back. I got a bit down in the dumps--couldn't move or think very well and it just made me feel so old and useless. Fortunately, I was too busy to sit around and mope, but I also did not do proper grocery shopping and was left to forage on Food That Other People Can Eat.

Anyway.....new day....chance for a new start....Coincidentally, I have a major shift in work duties for the rest of the year, and I should be able to focus better on weight loss and myself! My job has been stressful, and I am so happy about this. However, I still work around a sociopathic AH (perdon) and his golfing buddies, so there will always be drama. And I am one of their favorite targets.

OK.....so....time to get moving! Plotting out some resolutions that include finding a new physician, getting thorough checkups, getting on a new schedule that includes regular exercise, etc. Pulling myself out of this funk!

terichelle
07-28-2013, 08:29 AM
I figure I better start checking in on this thread again. I mentioned elsewhere that I had a good few weeks well off track. Luckily, I didn't gain and my weight was still around the 235/236 mark afterwards. I've been back on plan for almost the last two weeks now, so I decided to start my weekly weigh ins again. I weighed in at 228.75 today. I'm seriously very happy with that, it's a relief to remember I can do this :D

EDIT: Just updated my ticker as well, and realised this has put me over the halfway point to my (very rough, but still!) goal. :)

SeeMyFeet
07-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Hey!!! Where is everyone?!?!? Did everyone pack up and move to the next thread??

Back. On. Track. Big Time!!!

Went weight lifting with Spouse on Saturday, played tennis with DS on Sunday, and weight-lifted again early this AM with DH!! Go Me!! Plus, I've done well with my New Year's resolutions this year, so I made a few more. That I Will Also Keep!!

NSV--Ahead of me on the circuit in the gym on Sat was a toned, tanned, muscular young thing who was all business-like and knew what she was doing. When I lifted after her, I did not have to reduce the weights! Go me!

I am so excited about what the rest of the year will bring! And this GORGEOUS weather doesn't hurt!

Chug along, everyone!! We still have work to do!!!

zoesmom
07-29-2013, 10:19 AM
I'm in hiding.

I had an ARDS flair up and it netted me predisone...and a seven pound gain. I am back up in the mid 230's again. :(

fadedbluejeans
07-29-2013, 10:58 AM
I'm here SeeMyFeet! bouncing around the upper 230's, but the good news is my highs haven't been in the 240's for more than a week...
Holding steady with my 21-day challenge, great on calories and steps, not so great on sleep!
Lots of sore muscles today and almost 2 pounds over yesterday - I know its water though. Just made plans for lunch today - wish me luck!

Hope you feel better soon Zoesmom!

Issaknits
07-29-2013, 11:01 AM
I'm glad you're out of the hospital, Cincorn! Eeep, re: the chiggermite bites, seemyfeet. Those little buggies are a pain! And congrats on killing it at the gym and with the great weather.

237.4 this morning. I'm this close to the thirty pound gone mark, I can smell it! And as of Friday, I am now signed up for the November color run as part of the Bad Wolf Runners. Now I have to start getting to the point where I can actually do three miles. The best I've done so far is only a mile and a half! :)

This weekend was a mess of tech problems. My poor computer finally kicked the bucket and the one I had wanted to replace it with was sold out. They're shipping one from another store, but I have no idea when it'll be here. I feel so disconnected, which is telling me that I stay online waaaay too much to feel this twitchy after only two days away.

purplekitten7
07-29-2013, 11:02 AM
Hello everyone,

Sorry no time for personals but I still love you all! Congrats to everyone that's on the move, and hugs to everyone that is stuck!

I'm still here, and needing to check in even if I'm not saying anything interesting otherwise I'll get out of the habit again! Spent the weekend redecorating! Which was fun AND a good workout! We now have a brand new chest of drawers in the bedroom and the bathroom has been stripped down, sanded and is in between coats of paint at the moment! I also went for my first solo drive (only down to the shops but still) which was pretty cool, and I'm still alive - always a bonus! Today I have sorted out the insurance and tax on my very own car which has been sitting on a colleagues drive for the last month or so and I will be picking it up straight from work!

I'm totally feeling the happy vibe from seemyfeet - this year is on the up and things just keep getting better. I feel like I'm made so much progress in terms of where I am in life and what I'm doing, as well as becoming more emotionally stable etc which can only be a good thing :D

Muchos love xxx

purplekitten7
07-30-2013, 05:13 AM
Oh dear, no wonder I was stuck - I've been trying to eat healthy without counting calories...just by instinct you know?!?! Just entered my food for today on mfp as a check up to make sure I'm on the right track...I majorly under estimate how many calories I'm eating in a day...and I thought todays menu was a GOOD one in comparison to some other days I've had, maybe I'm gonna have to count calories for a while again :(

Issaknits
07-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Morning everyone! I stepped on the scale and lost that pesky .4 of a pound, so now I'm at 237 even. I have two words to say for meeting the 30 pound gone mark: "Heck" and "Yeah". :carrot:

SeeMyFeet
07-30-2013, 09:51 AM
:hug: Zoesmom!!! I remember your post from some other thread. Hon, you make me so ashamed at how much I can gripe about the littlest things and how little I've accomplished. Don't you fret and don't you hide. Just get better. We need you here.

Woohoo Issaknits! Progress!!!

Purplekitten---are you "nesting" with Mr Potter? Is he helping with this renovation? Handsome and HANdee!! OooooLaLaaaaa! Ooooooh! You're so sweet to comment on my good mood. I have been working on that. One of the people at my work is a bone fide sociopath (no kidding). Dealing with the daily crap that gets shoveled my way can take a toll on my mood and life perspective (but I am NOT letting that happen!!!)

Hang on Fadedbluejeans! You'll be wearing a 22_ before you know it!

HaddaWhoosh today! AND kept it to 1200 calories yesterday!! My downfall: canteloupe!! They're really tasty right now! Nice and low in calories, too! Bad news: ate over 2 cups worth before I went to bed. Good news: got exercise trotting to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Ha! Day One of keeping my New "New Year's Resolutions"!

Chin up, everyone! Let's do some good out there!

fadedbluejeans
07-30-2013, 11:39 AM
Good progress everyone! Hope you're feeling better Zoesmom!

I did just fine at lunch out yesterday - green salad with grilled chicken. Haven't been feeling so great (not sure if my symptoms are illness or anxiety) so did my exercise on the bike a little slower than normal and made it to bed on time.

Including today, 6 days of my challenge left. I'll be eating dinner out tomorrow, but otherwise I think I can prepare all my own meals and avoid the extra sodium and "unavoidable" starches til then.

PreciousMissy
07-30-2013, 12:43 PM
Good morning all! Just popped in for a quick moment, it's been super busy at work. I wish I had time to do personals, but I'm thrilled to see everyone doing so well!

224 today, I was 225 yesterday. I think I'm having the same problem purplekitten was/is. I'm trying to eat healthy, but I must be under estimating the amount of calories that I'm actually eating. So, now I'm trying to eat more prepackaged salads since they are already portioned and have the calorie content listed right on them.

It's time to shake things up! *wiggles butt*

Mama Tash
07-30-2013, 01:41 PM
I'm new here and I'm am loving this site. You guys are all so insiring! I lost 45 lbs 2 years ago with the intention of losing a lot more but instead I've regained and lost 10 lbs probably a dozen times keeping me in the 235-225 range. I'm so sick of it. I finally feel like I have the motivation to get out of the 220s and eventually into onederland forever! I'm just 2 lbs away from my lowest weight since I was a teenager at this point. I can do this, no stopping now.

becksdog
07-30-2013, 03:37 PM
HI ALL !!
Weighed in this morning with a 1.8 loss, was hoping for more but I am pre TOM which is when I always gain ! A loss is a loss, so i'll take it ! Hope everyone is having a good week so far !

Issaknits
07-31-2013, 09:20 AM
Morning! :hug: zoesmom! I hope you begin to feel better soon.

I don't know if I told you before, fadedbluejeans, but I really like the idea of doing a mini-challenge over a set number of days to get over plateaus. And it looks like you're having great progress!

You got this, Mama Tash! Yay PreciousMissy and Becksdog on your losses!

I went out on a walk yesterday evening with my two friends that are going to do the 5K with me in November. They're definitely more athletic than I am, but not only did I keep up with them, I actually outran them on parts of the trail!

The trail we were on has light poles evenly spaced out, so I decided to alternate walking from one pole to another, then running from that pole to the next pole. It took us a little under an hour to finish two miles, but this was just our baseline practice run. I think we're going to walk every Tuesday and Thursday, so we're hoping to improve our speed and distance. The trail is actually 4 miles both ways, so if we can do that, we can definitely do the race!

becksdog
07-31-2013, 11:36 AM
Thanks Issaknits ! GO YOU on your walk/run last night ! I started exercise last week and am so worried about it slowing my losses (I am on Medifast), but always feel so much better when I am working out. Have a great day !

SeeMyFeet
07-31-2013, 12:59 PM
Joyous news! I am the happy recipient of a token of commitment, devotion, and love! You guessed it! I purchased new workout shoes!!! Gift to myself.

Doing good with my new resolutions, but boy howdy did I have to resist snacking yesterday. Practically knawing my fist. Hopefully I'm finally doing something right. Got in a weight lifting session at 7am again. Pats back. Kept under 1300cals yesterday. Pats back.

After the session, I weighed in at my ticker wt again. Not my usual weigh routine, but I'll take it.

Shout outs to all from my cellular. Keep working and we'll meet again in the great beyond. ....2 teens, that is...

PreciousMissy
08-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Good morning all! It has been so busy that I missed posting yesterday, but I am here today to restart my "post every day to keep myself accountable" streak!

It looks like everyone is doing wonderful! And welcome to the newbies!

225 today.

It has been sooooooo stressful at work. I did a bad thing yesterday. I ate my emotions. I started off well with healthy low calorie breakfast and lunch...but then came the frozen yogurt...and way too much of it. Then when I got home I realized I still had feelings, so I ate them, too...in the form of Chinese delivery.

I'm back on track today with my low calorie and healthy breakfast, I have a lunch meeting and I'll order salad with the dressing on the side, and I have fish defrosting in the fridge for tonight's dinner!

Have a splendid day everyone. When things slow down I'll try to get back to personals :).

SeeMyFeet
08-01-2013, 11:44 AM
"..then when I got home, I realized I still had feelings..." :rofl:

Sooo sorry you're having such a tough time at work, PreciousMissy. :hug: Don't let it get ya down!!! All things considered, your weight really didn't move up much! How'd you do that??

Hun, we've both been in this thread a while. Let's hold hands and jump off the cliff together. I'm ready!! You?? I have a feeling that you could skip one meal and be in the 2 teens!!

I'm really really bummed. Kept to a very healthy 1300 calories yesterday, including my "cheat" of 4 strawberries, 1 melon slice and a taste of the coleslaw I made for DS. But that 200 calories was eaten after 9pm, soooo naturally I experienced a 2lb gain this am. crap crap crap

How's everyone else doin'???? Ladies????

Issaknits
08-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Well, I started the month off on a fantastic foot. Work has been crazy busy today and I looked at my sensible, yummy lunch and went "Eff it. We're going to Wendy's." I was sitting down to eat and had the beginnings of my old beating myself up for slipping off plan, but I nipped it. Instead of feeling awful about it, I told myself the following:

1. This is only one meal. I already have a lean, healthy dinner waiting in the fridge for me at home and the makings for a filling breakfast for the next day to get right back on track.

2. My friends and I are going out to walk the trail tonight. Myfitnesspal has me burning about half of the calories I ate for lunch; I'll just have to add a few more jogging intervals in than I originally planned.

3. I still have calories left over for dinner AND a pre-workout banana, so no worries.

4. When was the last time I got fast food? I honestly can't remember. And Wendy's used to be my go-to place too.

So, yeah. Long story short, I ate a non-planned lunch slowly to enjoy it free of guilt and I'm going to work off at least half of it tonight. Anyway, how is everyone today?

Shyleia
08-01-2013, 05:21 PM
I'm back ladies and gents. Was away for about a month because of work an computer problems. All is good in THAT area now. Weight wise, well, I honestly have no clue. I think I gained back all the weight I lost. I've realized that I NEED this group right now, I NEED myfitness pal, and most of all I NEED to look at my mind set... Today however is a new day I may be back at the beginning again, but at least I'm back. So now it's time to get my fat *** in gear!

PreciousMissy
08-01-2013, 05:30 PM
Thanks seemyfeet! I can see an end in site for the stress at work, and this %&#%(* thread :D. Your fruit sounds delish!

issaknits, that's what I'm trying to learn, too! Life isn't about eating "perfectly" for every meal. I think it's about finding balance, and accepting it. Well done!

I came back to report on my lunch, I was very proud of myself! I stuck to a salad...granted, it had blue cheese, bacon bits, and was HUGE...but, I had the dressing on the side and drizzled very little on the salad. In all honesty, the salad had so many flavors going on with the mushrooms, tomatoes, chesse, blah-blah-blah, that drowning it in dressing would have been a crime. Plus, I left more than a few bites on the plate.

I was rather proud of myself! And of course, this is the first place I wanted to come and talk about it haha!

SeeMyFeet
08-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Happy Friday all! What happened to the week? Yikes!

Plan-wise, I've had an excellent week. Weightlifting 3X (including this AM!!), kept my new resolutions, stuck to my pre-portioned salads and fruit. 1161 Cals yesterday. Weekly average 1296 cals/day. Lost 0.5lb from yesterday's 2.5 Lb GainForNoReason.

Other-wise, I've been violently grumpy since Wednesday. (poor DS!) Major brain fog. Wobbly muscles. Not enough sleep. And upset about not getting enough done at work and home. Weight loss could be a full-time job for me. Perhaps it should be. Some days I wish I could just walk away from everything and focus on myself. Sigh.

"Welcome" to those who just joined or re-joined this thread. Shyleia, Becksdog, MamaTash, Terichelle. Let us know how you're doing and what is going on with you.

I have been stuck for so long. I am sooo frustrated, I could just cry all day. That hopeless feeling is trying to sink in. I'm fighting it.....and the fat.....I really am....

Issaknits
08-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Big, supportive hugs to you, seemyfeet. How long have you lifted weights? Have you gone up on the amount that you lift/sets/reps that you do recently? I noticed that when I went from my beginning weight to a heavier amount and upped my reps as I grew stronger that my scale either went up or it fluctuated between a higher weight and a not-so-high weight before settling down to where it had started in the first place, which made me feel like I wasn't making any sort of progress at all. It took almost a month of 3x per week to finally see the scale budge in the right direction.

We're all here for you! I'd help kick your stall to the curb, but I've got a painful blister on my foot. I'll help push it instead! (btw, socks that promise a blister-free run lie!)

Lots of people out on the trail yesterday, including a bunch of really cute 20-something guys, this one bike rider who was using his bike as a unicycle, and an older, scruffy-handsome runner wearing a geeky shirt (more incentive to go back, score!). We made it to the 5K mark in an hour and ten minutes - going the whole 4 mile way means crossing a pretty dangerous intersection, so we've decided to play it safe and just use that as our turning around point - and everyone lived! My left arch did this really weird cramping spasm as soon as I sat down in my car and I have a quarter sized blister underneath my right big toe, but I was pretty proud of our little group. Instead of running/walking between one light pole to the next, I ran to two poles, then walked to one almost the entire way.

SeeMyFeet
08-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Hey Issaknits! Sounds like you're doing well. ....cept for the blisters.

I've "returned" to weight lifting after a loooooong hiatus--if I you don't count lifting dumbbells at home. I just completed my 1st week of every other day sessions--since Sat . I haven't upped the amount of wts or reps yet, but am pretty pleased with what I can lift. --for now.

Oh....I realized AF is knocking at the door. ....explains so much. ...

PreciousMissy
08-02-2013, 03:51 PM
:hug: I hope things hit an upswing for you seemyfeet!

issaknits, well done on the the running! Awesome job!

224 today. I guess I should be happy with that considering TOM. I'm starting to wonder if I should get a new scale. This one was given to me 4 years ago, and it was used then. Plus it only does even numbers, and I'd like one that does 10ths. I must admit, I'm a little afraid to buy a new one. I've heard "horror" stories of people finding out they're 6-10lb higher than what their old scale weighed them. I guess I need to face the truth at some point, right?

Have a beautiful day everyone!

terichelle
08-03-2013, 05:32 AM
Weighed in at 225.5 today, down from 228.8 last week. To be fair, I've been so busy, I've definitely eaten less than usual, no snacks etc and stayed easily below my calorie limit every day, so I'm not surprised. Happy though!

I tend to weigh in stones, and seeing the scale at only 1.5 pounds above 16 stone is pretty amazing. Getting under 16 stone is a pretty big thing for me, and I'm so close now. I've honestly been overweight almost all my life, and I'm sure by my early teens I was already over 16 stone, so I literally can't remember the last time I weighed this little.

SeeMyFeet
08-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Morning all!

Congratulations Terichelle!!! :carrot: What a great week for you! Here's to smashing the 16 Stone!!

1.5 lb loss for me this AM. Only 0.5 above my ticker weight and recovery from Thursday's GainForNoReason (no resentment here...ha)

881 calories yesterday. One of my New Resolutions was to stop any snacking past 7pm. So there you have it.

Beware. TOM was drunk when he visited PreciousMissy...he showed up at my house on crack.

Have a great weekend, everyone! I'm planning on a dinner out with family. Not sure where yet. Hope I can find something low cal on the menu.

.....Smash that stone......Smash that stone.....

Shyleia
08-03-2013, 02:58 PM
*yawn* good afternoon all. It's 3pm, and I just hauled my butt outta bed. Worked the graveyard shift last night. My pedometer says I walked over 2 miles on my shift. Not bad considering I had an easy night. My scale finally decided to give me a straight answer on my weight today as well. 231lbs. So, today's goalis to stay in my calorie range and walk the same, if not more tonight at work... So far whatever I'm doing seems to be working. Have a great day all, lets all stay on track!

AlligatorSky
08-04-2013, 06:05 AM
I did it, everyone! I hit 218 pounds, this morning! finally out of the 220's. I'm so happy! :)

SeeMyFeet
08-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Quick pop-in.

Yesterday's restaurant choice was not so good....we were all starving while shopping and popped into someplace close-by. One of those chains with lots of TVs and bad food. I checked their online menu later and estimated 1100 cals from that one meal (!) Daily total 1784. Weekly calorie ave = 1306. TOMoncrack is giving me bad nightmares.

.....but down 2.5!!! Yay! :carrot: I get to move my ticker!.....tears falling...

Hope everyone is having a GREAT weekend!!!

Teagan
08-04-2013, 09:49 PM
229.2 this morning... I walked on the treadmill for 45 min and then 15 min on the evil elliptical. I have great admiration for anyone who can stay on that machine for more than 30 min. I stayed on track with my points today...so over all it's been a good day. I hope the scale is kind to me in the morning :)

Issaknits
08-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Good morning! I decided to take a break from paleo AND the gym this weekend. Mentally, I feel tons better, but physically I'm a mess. Just two days with dairy and grains after so long without made me sluggish and bleargh-feeling. I also gained four pounds, which is more than likely half sodium bloat. Back on the paleo wagon this morning with scrambled eggs and steamed broccoli! I have my gym bag packed and underneath my desk so I can change as soon as I get out of work too.

Have a great day everyone!

SeeMyFeet
08-05-2013, 10:56 AM
Awww, Issaknits! :( Those nasty little carbs know how to make their presence known, huh? Well...the way you work out, you'll sweat it all off in one session!

Way to go Teagan! Lookin' good in your 22_!!... "evil elliptical" :rofl:

898cals for me yesterday. Too lazy to eat.....I don't have Shyleia's excuse of working too late either! Made it difficult to keep my no eating after 7pm resolution, but I did it. Walked 1.5mi on the track at dusk while DS was kicking the football. The little varmint was kicking 45 yard field goals....he's thinking of being kicker on his middle school team....I hate football....

Did my AM wt lifting today. Down 0.5# to 222 today.

Well ladies....I'm packing my bags. I'm hoping hoping hoping I don't get hit hard by another big GainForNoReason this week so I can get outta this thread. Sigh....I guess I should brace for it. I give myself 2 weeks, at most, in this thread. Hoping hoping hoping.

PreciousMissy
08-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Good morning all!!

223 this morning! I doubt it will stick though. I'm possibly eating out tonight, and have lunch plans tomorrow, but that doesn't mean I can't make wise choices!

Shyleia
08-05-2013, 07:41 PM
230.2 today... WOOT! Lowest I've been in a while. Only down .2 from yesterday.. Hopeing tomorrow when I wake up, the scale will say 22*...... I haven't seen that in about a year. Working overnights tonight, so planning on walking 2 or more miles at work. (I work as a psw in a long-term-care facility) I plan on having my pedometer going tonight. :)

CrazyCatWoman
08-06-2013, 12:55 AM
Hi there

I hit 239 when I weighed myself yesterday, so want to join this thread.

I've managed my weightloss through portion control and beginning more exercise. I'm currently having knee problems having done too much on the C25K. Stupidly I tried running on asphalt too soon, so now it's just low impact stuff until the pain stops! I should have learnt to walk before I could run.

Cheers!

purplekitten7
08-06-2013, 04:41 AM
Hello chickies,

I got whisked away to Paris for the weekend - wow am I a lucky girl! The downside, lots of delicious pastries and food (and wine) but there was also lots of walking and exploring, and lots of fresh fruit and water so I'm hoping I did damage control! I'll be stepping on the scale when I get home from work (because I totally forgot this morning) and will let you all know!

Hope everyone is well, I will catch up on the...2-3 pages of this thread I've missed when I get a chance...wow are you chatty chickies! :) xxx

becksdog
08-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Scale barely moved all week and then on official Tuesday weigh day, down 3.2 lbs !!!!!

fadedbluejeans
08-06-2013, 09:42 AM
Well, my 21-day challenge is over and I am a little bit disappointed. I was under my calories for 20 out of 21 days. I got my 10,000 steps in on 19 out of 21 days, but I only managed to get to bed by 10 pm on 10 out of 21 days. I ended up at 239.4, (-5) but I had been as low as 237.2 a week ago. Not quite sure what to do next.

SeeMyFeet
08-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Wow! Fadedbluejeans! Your 20 days sounds fantastic to me! I'm pushing for an earlier bedtime as well. Last week, I was successful in "shutting down the kitchen" at 7pm. Being hungry and unable to eat is good incentive to go to bed. Yesterday I tried shutting down the kitchen at 5pm--unrealistic.

Everyone else is doing so well: Shyleia, Crazycatwoman (welcome!) and becksdog! And our Purplekitten is back...with a french accent! Way to go PK! Gettin' out there and livin' life!!! :carrot:

Up 1lb today. Ugh. 1100 cals yesterday. Weekly average 1200 cals! No exercise yesterday. I wanted to go walking on the track again, but had lots of errands after work. (I'm not pushing the running CrazyCatWoman, too much weight for my joints.) Some work stress/drama, but nothing that affects me (thank goodness!).

PreciousMissy...sounds like we're "dieting twins". Got your bags packed for the next thread? I do. One foot out the door. Can't wait!

Issaknits
08-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Paris, Purplekitten? That sounds marvelous! Glad you had such a great time. Does Mr. Potter happen to have a brother, or a cousin, or a single uncle, or even a spare BFF?

If anyone has the chance to try Republic of Tea's "Get Restored" do it. I don't know if it's helped ease muscle soreness like it says it does, but it has a smooth coconut-caramel flavor that's to die for. I drink a cup of it before bedtime on my lifting days and at least two cups the day after. This week is when I increase both my weight load and reps for the majority of my lifts, but I think the L-Glutamine daily suppliment I've been taking is helping more with the little to no muscle soreness (DOMS was a big issue before taking them, ouch!) instead of the actual tea. It's still tasty though!

PreciousMissy
08-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Welcome to the newbies!!!

Seemyfeet, I've been trying to get out of this thread for months. I've unpacked and redecorated my room *sigh*.

But, I shall not be discouraged!! *bum-bum-bum* <-- imagine fanfare playing

One of the keys, as I've heard from others, is to keep plugging along and doing something you can live with, right?

Last night we did end up going out for dinner, so the boyfriend and I decided to split a plate and I ordered a salad for my side instead of the customary starch that it came with.

Today for lunch I placed half my order in a to go box and will be having salad for dinner.

I just can't bring myself to count calories again, however, I can bring myself to eat smaller portions and make smarter choices on a daily basis! *bum-bum-bum* <-- more fanfare

I may be stuck here for a while, but it's all good...you chickies are kinda nice :)

Shyleia
08-06-2013, 06:27 PM
well, I was a bad girl AT work as well as AFTER. At work I had an ice cream sandwich and a strawberry shortcake popsicle. The this morning one of the nurses came in with tim hortons. So yeah, the smell got to me and on the way home I stopped there but the drive thru line was ridiculous. Our tims is beside a McDonalds so I went there and got a bacon egg bagel meal. This afternoon when I got up, I had gained a pound. 231.2.... Sigh. Having rice and shrimp for dinner tonight, while the rest of the family has pizza. TOM is creeping up on me so I'm gonna be wanting to do nothing but eat and eat and eat. Anyone else get like that?

Issaknits
08-07-2013, 09:15 AM
I actually want to unpack and decorate my room here! Right now I'm like the kid that runs in and out of the house and drives everyone crazy: my weight has been bouncing around all over the place and unfortunately it jumped up to 240.0 this morning. I'll even sleep on a couch in the living room if it'll keep me in this thread long enough to make more downward progress! I don't get it: my daily calories have been in the 1650-1700 range constantly, I work out daily, and I get 7 hours of sleep every night. Hopefully this is just leftover bloating from this weekend's "what the hey, let's eat bread!" splurge.

I don't know if it's the heat, allergens flying around, my body, or a combination of all of the above, but I'm having an awful week for outdoor runs. Monday night I only did a half-mile before calling it quits, then yesterday I was thrilled when one of my friends decided to cut the run short at the two-mile mark. I'd be completely discouraged if my lifting day had stank too, but thankfully I'm improving there. I think I'm going to hop on a treadmill tonight at the gym to see if working out inside helps me any.

SeeMyFeet
08-07-2013, 10:25 AM
:hug: Issaknits--You do such an impressive amount of exercise! You must be building lots of muscle or retaining lots of fluid, especially if you're still experiencing DOMS. I predict a mighty Whoosh or rapid loss in your future.

Well....if I don't get out of this thread soon, you'll all kick me out. Ha. I'm the kid spending my vacation whining "I don't want to go...I don't want to go!".... "I don't want to be here! I wanna go to the next thread!" :kickbutt: Well...in my defense, Valdemort/233 had a grasp on me from Jan--July, so I need to move just to keep my sanity.

Good news: 221 today! Bad news: no wt lifting this AM. Too few calories and not enough sleep. I could really splurge today, but I'm deathly afraid of the GainForNoReason. Don't want to give him a reason!

Keep plugging everyone! And enjoy the scenery along the way!

PreciousMissy
08-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Shyleia, I so have that problem! My stomach is like a bottomless pit! I did read an article that said our bodies burn more calories during TOM. It didn't say how many more, but I couldn't imagine it would be too much. I don't go overboard and eat an entire cake, haha, but I don't fight it to the point of insanity. I'll just eat a few more veggies.

seemyfeet, you're almost out of here!!!! Tell all the chickies in the 2-teens thread I said hey!

222 today! I can't believe the scale moved. I'm sure it's because I didn't have dinner last night. I just wasn't hungry. So I'm having my salad for lunch today...the lettuce is getting to the point of no return.

Have a splendid day everyone!

becksdog
08-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Thanks SeeMyFeet ! Hope everyone is having a great week !!!

SeeMyFeet
08-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Hey Issaknits: what is your Avatar picture anyway? (Everyone else probably recognizes it--I live under a rock!)

Well 220.5 today....sooo close...the great news is... I am actually losing!! woohoo!! :carrot:

Hoping the Kerplonk fairy stays away and doesn't drop some pounds on me. Hump day's over....sliding into the weekend....(not that that makes much difference!)

Issaknits
08-08-2013, 11:09 AM
It's from the anime Cowboy Bebop. One of the characters uses it when she hacks into computers - she's one of the wackier people on the show, and it's too darn cheerful.

I've come the the conclusion that this week is going to be the week of Cardio Stink for me. The treadmill was even worse than the run outside had been (and I got a nasty blister too!) Instead of powering through something that's obviously not working, I'm going to change it up and hop back on the bike tonight to see if that'll help turn this car around.

But! I'm getting callouses on my hands! I know, weird thing to get excited about, but it's like I'm getting inducted into a secret club or something. "Why yes, you can tell by my hands that I do indeed pick heavy things up and put them back down." :lol: I told my dad that all I wanted for Christmas was a squat rack and instead of looking at me like I was completely crazy, he looked around the garage and went "Well, your apartment is too small to store it in, even if you do have high ceilings for overhead lifts. I dunno if we have room here, but maybe we need to move some things around to fit it in." I :val1: my dad.

PreciousMissy
08-08-2013, 11:58 AM
seemyfeet, you're about to leave us! Get the heck out woman ;).

224 today. I ate dinner last night, lol. At least I'm bouncing around between 222/224 instead of 224/226, so I'll take it.

Today for lunch I brought one of my homemade frozen meals, half a chicken breast and grilled zucchini! Yumm-o!

A friend gave me a bunch of zucchini from her garden as a bribe to make her some zucchini bread this weekend. I just have to make sure that I give her both loaves...I don't need that stuff hanging around the house!

SeeMyFeet
08-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Oh! Oh! Oh! I forgot to tell you! I purchased a spiral vegetable slicer from amazon! I've been using it to make zucchini noodles and cool cucumber salads. Sooo much fun...and now i can trick DS into eating more vegetables! ! AND cuts down the calories TONS on pasta dishes. No zucchini is safe in my kitchen!

Tryin' to get outta here, PreciousMissy!!!!

Issaknits
08-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Well, I'm back in the actual 230's today! 239.4! It means that I still have 2.4 pounds to lose before I'm back to last week's weigh-in, but at least I have my foot in the door. Lesson learned: no matter how much you want that bread or how tasty grilled cheese sammies (and Captain Crunch with whole milk, and yogurt covered pretzels, and...) are, a weekend that wildly off-plan just isn't worth it right now. This weekend we're going to walk the straight and narrow on the food front and I'm going to experiment with adding an extra day of weight lifting in just to see how 4 days instead of 3 feels.

I couldn't make it to the walking trail last night with my friends because of a work meeting, but I did manage to walk 2 miles in the mall. I was already at one end running an errand when I went "what the hey" and walked the whole thing four times. It also meant that I got to pass the adorably handsome brothers who run the pizza store (my goodness, they NEVER AGE. They look just as cute as they did ten years ago!) four times and try not to giggle like a high school girl when one of them winked at me while he was hand-tossing dough (his arms! His arrrrrrrrrmmmms!) He wasn't expecting me to wink back at him as I walked by either, which made him grin (and show off a dimple on the side of his cheek! *swoon*)

Ahem. Why no, I do not have a crush on the hot pizza dude. Why would you think that? :lol: And since we had the meeting last night, I get an extra hour and fifteen minutes tacked onto my lunch hour to comp it out! I'm going to use the extra time to do tonight's workout so I can go home right after work and relax.

SeeMyFeet
08-09-2013, 10:34 AM
:hug: Issaknits! You know the formula...you'll be back on track in no time!! My My! A man in the kitchen! Nothing more handsome than that! (Unless he washes dishes, too!....ok I've been married too long...) I must say...I do get a chuckle from the Kraft Zesty salad dressing commercials. "Zesssstee!"

Up 1lb today. Ugh. For no good reason. (except that the low-cal food I ate yesterday was dense.....brussel sprouts...)

Will I EVER get out of this thread?

Llilith
08-09-2013, 10:42 AM
Hi Everyone! I'm finally sure I belong in this thread, since my venture into the 230's seems to be sticking ;-) I was 235 this morning. I think that's an all time low for the past 10 years or so - so excited!!

SeeMyFeet - Love your name - so cute. I can see mine too haha. Did you see the zucchini noodle recipe on Skinnytaste? I did and it inspired me to buy a mandolin. But the mandolin doesn't do the noodles that well. Maybe I need to get the spiral veggie slicer. We have so much zucchini, happy garden this year!

PreciousMissy
08-09-2013, 10:56 AM
issaknits, I am totally an arm and back girl :drool:

seemyfeet, I have a confession...your one pound gain is my fault. I wasn't ready to lose you yet. Please forgive me? ;)

222 today, and I ate dinner last night, lol. I tried out a new zucchini recipe and it was amazing! It originally called for spinach (Crustless Spinach Quiche (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spinach-Quiche-2/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe)), but with a lot of modifications I made shredded zucchini work. My "I don't eat vegetables" boyfriend even loved it and ate two slices.

If anyone decides to make it, a couple words of warning. If you use zucchini, use a cheese cloth to squeeze as much moisture out as you can. I used paper towels and still had moisture at the bottom of the dish. Also, the recipe doesn't mention anything about seasonings, but I think it would be bland without them. I used dried onion instead of green, garlic powder, basil, seasoning salt, and pepper.

Have a wonderful day all!

PreciousMissy
08-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Welcome Llilith!

Issaknits
08-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Hi, Llilith! The mandolin does make for some thin-sliced zucchini "lasagna noodles" though. I need to dig through my cookbooks at home to see if I can find that one again. It was pretty tasty.

I agree: there's just something "hummina hummina hummina" about a guy's shoulder/arm/back combo! *dreamy sigh*

Yum, that quiche sounds like the Egg Monster I make on Sundays to last all week. I'll usually shred up two or three carrots and two zucchinis in the food processor (the shred blade is a timesaver! I love my processor!) to add in, and yes, definitely squeeze the extra water out of the squash. It makes for a runny quiche otherwise. When I add the veggies and eggs into the casserole dish, I swirl them around with a fork to make artsy designs once it bakes up. It's like eating a Van Gogh for breakfast. :)

Super easy (and probably calorie dense due to the amount of eggs, but it does make enough for 6 to 8 servings, depending on how you cut it)
1 doz. eggs
2 carrots, shredded
2 zucchini squash, shredded and drained
seasonings to taste

Preheat oven to 350. Combine ingredients, pour into a greased 9x13 casserole dish. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown. It'll puff up a bit in the oven, but deflate once you get it out to cool.

I'll change up the ingredients/spices every once and a while. I've added browned and drained breakfast sausage for added protien and sautee'd diced onions. I cut the eggs down to 6 and it made a pretty decent 8x8 or 9x9 (I can never remember which one I have) dish as well.

Llilith
08-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Issaknits - Thanks for the recipe, it sounds great! Oh, I knit too. I'm excited for short winter days to sit cozy and knit. I don't knit a whole lot in summer - you?

Issaknits
08-09-2013, 04:25 PM
I'm a beginner-beginner knitter (hee, that rhymed!) I haven't picked up a set of needles since the start of spring, so I really can't wait for cooler temperatures to arrive. I'm more of an intermediate crochet person, but I've always wanted to learn how to knit. I'm still at that point where I can't do complicated patterns in public without losing my place (my main goal is to complete an Irish hiking scarf because the cable pattern is so pretty!) but I can do simple dishcloths, hats and scarves while talking okay. My friends are used to me drifting off out of a conversation for a row or two before drifting back in. :)

Llilith
08-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Issaknits - I'm a dishcloth knitter myself. Haven't graduated to complicated patterns yet. :)

SeeMyFeet
08-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Up 0.5 lb. :tantrum: *%&#@>?#*&?!$&#
But what did I expect? Was in a baaad mood last night and had me some liq donuts and CHEESE....after 11pm....1900 calories for the day. Ouch. I have been frustrated with lack of progress in many areas of my life. And I kept calories under 1000 all week (until fri) but still did not lose anything this week. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. I blame Presh-us-Missee! Let me go, PM, let me GO!!

You ladies were getting a bit drooly yesterday! teehee

I've been thinking of getting out the knitting needles again, too! Good way to keep the hands busy and divert the mind away from the misery of wt loss. I found a couple of nice patterns for infinity scarves. Or maybe I'll knit this:

http://www.twinklebywenlan.com/twinkletime/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/all-about-knit.jpg

Issaknits
08-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Good morning! Oooh, that bus looks neat!

I think my body wants to hang out at 239 for a while, just to get used to the new weight. I stayed at 256 for-ev-er before whooshing on down into the 240's and then stayed at 240-241 for a while too, so I'm betting that my loss is going to do that every ten pounds. Instead of getting frustrated with it, I'm kind of okay: I might not be going down right now, but at least I'm not going up either. My clothes are fitting better, which tells me that I'm still losing inches.

Two months of lifting is starting to show results! I can see outlines of muscles in my arms and back trying to peek out, which feels awesome. I'm going to the foot doctor this Friday to get my ankle checked out, and once he gives me the green light (fingers crossed) to go, I can start doing whole body circuits instead of just focusing on my upper body.

Llilith
08-12-2013, 11:14 AM
SeeMyFeet - Oh wow that bus is cool! Imagine the calories we'd burn knitting that? LOL

Issaknits - That happens to me too, the fluctuations then finally settling back down. I am always excited to see a new number but I've come to expect that it will change a bit before it settles down there.

So this weekend hubby and I went to an outdoor concert (Michael Franti). It was my first outdoor concert ever and I had so much fun! I must have danced for an hour straight. I was DRENCHED in sweat - so much that my hair was wet like I just had a shower LOL. But it was exhilarating and I felt so great. Losing this 25 pounds has made me feel so much better - like I can move and look sexy again. It helps that my hubby is the best at making me feel beautiful no matter what my weight is, but inside I felt different you know? Someone can tell you over and over that you are pretty or sexy or whatever, but until you feel it inside it doesn't really hit home - at least for me. I felt beautiful and alive. What a great night.

purplekitten7
08-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Hey Girls,

I've been missing in action for a few days, work is ridiculously busy. I'm keeping on top of my food (mostly) and am hanging out around the 233 mark but I haven't hit the gym for a shamefully long time :( I'm making the excuse that I'm too busy but that's all it is really, an excuse. I could and SHOULD make time to go. But that is the reason I'm stuck anyway. Met Mr Potters family this weekend, it went well and they're all nice and gave me the thumbs up apparently :)

Off to Scotland for a week with my friends on Saturday so I'm thinking lots of walking and hiking (and crawling?) will help me out and give me that whoosh I've been craving! We're climbing Ben Nevis on what would have been my mums birthday to celebrate her! I'll get Little-Miss-Active-Kitten back, I promise you!

PreciousMissy
08-12-2013, 12:59 PM
seemyfeet, I love the bus cozy, lol.

issaknits, I've stopped counting how long I've been at 224.

llilth, I know what you mean about the feeling! For me it's more of a "look what I've accomplished...will power and strength!!!"

225 today. I'm not the least bit surprised, I ate a lot of sodium filled foods today, and I have soup for lunch. I wasn't as good on my water as I should have been this weekend either.

I finally watched Free Willy this weekend. I think I was the last hold out who hadn't watched it. I liked it...now I see why it got as much publicity as it did, lol. I'm one of those weirdos that purposely avoids what's popular and hip. It makes me feel like I have more control over whether or not I actually like something as opposed to someone telling me I like something.

Issaknits
08-12-2013, 02:11 PM
llilth, that concert sounds like it was a lot of fun! Yay for dancing!

purplekitten, have fun in Scotland!

I'm trying out a new tea from Republic of Tea today. Get Clean has a subtle almond-y flavor that's pretty tasty. Reviews online are saying that it helps get rid of the bloated, puffy feeling, but we'll see after a few cups to see if it has any effect. Even if it doesn't, it tastes good enough to put it on my "buy refills" list the next time a tea purchasing splurge is done.

PreciousMissy
08-12-2013, 04:40 PM
purplekitten, your post must have come up as I was typing mine out...I don't know how I could have missed it!

I'm glad to hear things are going so well with you and Mr. Potter! :D

zoesmom
08-12-2013, 05:17 PM
I'm back from my vacation. Refuse to step on the scale, but know that my pants fit the same, so I will take that! I was on predisone for nearly two weeks then in the land of mochas and cherries, so I am scared of the scale. :D But surely, surely I am still in this thread! And I am not about to find out otherwise! :lol:

Issaknits
08-13-2013, 09:04 AM
zoesmom, hi! I was just thinking about you the other day and hoping that all was well.

239.2, so it looks like we're slowly inching downwards. I'm in week 5 of my self-perscribed 6-week fitness challenge and I'm hoping the next two weeks gets me over this hump. I've bombed on two of the five goals I've set for myself, but I'm happy that it looks like I'm going to ace the other three by next Sunday. Sort of excited about the next 6-week challenge I've already have planned to start on the 26th.

TooWicky
08-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Hello everyone :)

I'm new to the thread and thrilled to be here!

I have been dieting for about 5 months total. I finally broke the 240s barrier and am currently at 237 lbs. as of this morning. I am calorie counting to lose weight and so it's basically math, which I loathe. I am having a terrible time getting motivated to exercise. I have a recumbent bike and also a treadmill in my home; they are currently being used to store folded laundry and I also hang my purse on them ><

I recognize a couple of names from the 240s thread /waves @ CrazyCatWoman and Llilith :) hi guys!

Llilith
08-13-2013, 10:55 AM
YAY Too Wicky! Nice to see you. :D Kick those 240's to the curb, woman!!! You go girl!

I can relate to the treadmill/laundry thing. I have an exercise bike in my bedroom that is currently used to hang clothes. Once when I had a cable installer come, he was a really big guy and he looked at the bike and said (very seriously) "Ah, the bike of shame" LOL

I had a hard time yesterday. I really wanted to eat a lot of bad stuff. It's the first time since I've been dieting that I've had any sort of crisis in my life and it's clear that my mind isn't done looking to food for comfort. I'm worried about some things at work - plus hubby and I are having a disagreement about money. I thought it was weird how fast my mind went to "oh, you can have that it will make you feel better". It's like food fills the empty, scared feeling in my tummy when I'm sad or afraid about something. Overall I did well, ended the day about 140 calories over. I was still down a few 10ths of a pound today though.

PreciousMissy
08-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Welcome toowicky!

llilith, I still have the same issues of comforting myself with food, and I honestly don't know how to break the habit. I don't know if I ever will. I'm trying to figure out healthier ways to do it though. Instead of filling the void with random sweets after an average dinner, I'll try to treat myself to my favorite healthy home cooked dinner. It's all about learning to dance in the rain, right ;).

225 today. I ate a low calorie lunch and breakfast, but not dinner...yikes. Back on track today!

We're going grocery shopping tonight since we didn't this last weekend, and I realized this morning that I am out of healthier snack options. We have plenty of chips, chex mix, and pretzles, but nothing that is filling for very few calories. I think I need to change that!

CrazyCatWoman
08-13-2013, 11:23 PM
Welcome Toowicky!

You can do this - maths does work! I am firmly in the upper 230's right now and just resuming going to the gym after quite a lot of knee pain .

I have a crosstrainer (a big one as at my old weight I would have broken an ordinary one) and an exercise bike gathering dust upstairs. I just cannot motivate myself to workout at home and find it a lot easier to get going at the local gym.

We can get through the 230s! Let's do it.

Issaknits
08-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Hi, Toowicky!

Yesterday we had pizza and cake at work for the summer interns' last week. I tried to do damage control by piling on heaps of salad and only limiting myself to a slice of pizza, but...

Who ordered the bacon pizza? :love: The siren call of sweet, sweet meat candy snagged me in its clutches and I downed three slices of deliciousness. Fortunately I didn't go over my calories, my friends and I walked the trail last night, and this morning's weigh-in showed no change. Today is right on track with a salad and some turkey tenderloins for lunch and back/shoulders day after work.

PreciousMissy
08-14-2013, 10:03 AM
226 today...seriously?????? :tantrum:

I ate grilled meat, and a small portion of rice for lunch. For breakfast I had my usual protein shake...and only 2/3 because I was so busy in the morning. For dinner I had hummus and pita...maybe a bit more of that than I should have...but *grumble grumble grumble*!

Llilith
08-14-2013, 10:14 AM
PreciousMissy - dancing in the rain, that's it!! It is tough to change years and years of habits. (45 for me!) I was taught that food was comfort from the time I was a baby - bless my mom, she meant well but yeah, it's hard to unlearn that. Grocery shopping here too - I have run out of my favorite yogurt and fruit and veggies. Don't sweat the 226 - I bet you'll see a good drop soon. My weight does that, moves up and down a bit til it settles back into the good number.

CrazyCat - Yay for math. Isn't it great when it works? Its cool that you are going to the gym. My bad is still exercise - I just don't do enough. Just luge :D and walks with hubby.

Issaknits - You made that pizza sound GOOD! It's great that you stayed in your calorie budget and walked too. Back/shoulders day?! Is that time at the gym where you can gaze upon the hotties with ripped backs/shoulders? You go girl!

233 today!!! I'm happy to see that number, it means I've lost 29 pounds since 6/11. My calorie budget is going down though - Loseit lowers it a bit every time I log a lower weight (cause you burn less calories just existing when you are bigger). I started at about 1550, now it's just over 1400. A bit harder for sure! I am SO EXCITED about seeing the 220's. I will finally tell hubby what I weigh then LOL.

My 18yo daughter noticed that I'm smaller! She was joking that soon we can trade clothes (she's about a size 8, so I doubt that will ever happen) but it was cool she noticed!

Issaknits
08-14-2013, 10:53 AM
It might be water retention, PreciousMissy. Did the hummus have a lot of salt added? How do you like protein shakes? I'm hemming and hawing about adding them just to get enough protein in, but looking at the tubs of whey and whey-less, made from soy, made from hemp, with added stuff/with no added stuff and whatnot is confusing. Need to do more research on that.

Llilth, I wish! Nope, tonight is when I drive out to my parents' house and lift weights with Dad. He can't see justifying the $$ for a gym membership for himself and travel time when he has a weight bench, a barbell, dumbbells and 100+ pounds of weight plates in the garage. It started out with him helping me with form (because I didn't want to look like a clueless newbie in front of all the regular lifters at the gym!) and now he's lifting with me, which he hasn't done in years. His last doctor visit had all his numbers down and if he loses about ten more pounds, he might be able to get off a lot of his medications, so it's a win all around.

Besides, father-daughter time (even if it's spent in a boiling hot garage sweating buckets) trumps covert hot-bearded-powerlifter-ogling time. (That's what Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays are for! :lol:)

And woot on noticable weight loss!

PreciousMissy
08-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the words of encouragement llilith! I'll keep plugging away...never give up, never surrender.

Anyone know what movie that is from? 5 bonus points if you can name the lead actor!

issaknits, after much research (google and 3FC) I started drinking the EAS Advantage premade shakes in dark chocolate. It seems that they're an alternative to the IP shakes (I'm not doing IP, for what it's worth, lol), low in carbs, and 110 calories. I like to mix about 1/3 of a shake with 8oz of coffee. It tastes like a mocha and I no longer need artificial sweeteners in my coffee.

I tried substituting dinner with them, but found that I was famished in the morning...which didn't go well. In the afternoon I have to eat a real lunch or I snack until dinner, so breakfast it was.

Llilith
08-14-2013, 04:01 PM
Issaknits - Father time is priceless, that is so awesome for you both! Probably the sweetest thing I've heard all day.

Issaknits
08-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the words of encouragement llilith! I'll keep plugging away...never give up, never surrender.

Anyone know what movie that is from? 5 bonus points if you can name the lead actor!

Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest! Another one for when the going gets tough: Goonies never say die!

Thanks for the shake rec. I'm going to have to hit up my local Health Food House or GNC to see if they carry it. All Wal-Mart and HEB seem to have are the ginormous tubs of powder. Right now I'm using 8 oz. of chocolate milk as my post-workout recovery drink of choice, even if it isn't Paleo. I had to rearrange my calories for the day to fit it in, but that just meant taking out an afternoon snack, so no real biggie.

wishfuiiy
08-15-2013, 02:07 AM
Ugh, I wanna book it out of the 220s and land safely in the teens on my way to Onderland. I wanted to do it a very unhealthy way because I had a Onderland b-day goal, but I'm going to finish this race right and true.

On a side note, I noticed the Memorial Day to Labor Day challenge is almost up and I only have 11 lbs to go for that so I should just be happy with losing a heap in that challenge than try to be in Onderland by the 4th of Sept.

TooWicky
08-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Thank you for the welcomes!

I appear to be holding steady at 237 lbs. I've had some disrupted sleep, but have stayed within calories. I have been drinking more diet soda and zero calorie sports drinks, however, instead of my usual water, and it's been making me crave salty snacks. I must admit I have been eating half servings of baked Cheetos™ instead of healthier fare, ugh.

Back when I was about 20+ lbs lost, I was frustrated that no one was commenting on or noticing my weight loss. Well, something just happened that opened my eyes a bit on that issue. The shoe was on the other foot!

I was at work at my counter (I work part-time in retail, customer service,) and a former teacher of one of my children walked up. I had not seen her in a few years. In fact, I didn't recognize her at first and had to do a double take. She looked so much thinner! At least I was pretty sure she did. As I began making small talk and getting caught up with her, in my head I was checking her out and assessing if I was really sure she had lost weight which I was almost definitely sure she had. Then I became concerned; what if she has had a serious health issue and this was why she was so thin? I am middle aged, and she is significantly older. I began to worry if perhaps her husband had passed away and I hadn't heard, and maybe she had been grieving. It was amazing how much went through my head in a few short seconds that made me unsure if I should mention how she looked thinner to me. I wasn't even sure I should even comment on her weight at all even if she had simply dieted. I decided to blurt it out, "You look like you have lost weight!" She was ecstatic I said something. She said she had gotten sick of carrying around all the extra weight and had finally decided to do something about it.

That brief experience illuminated for me just some of the reasons why I haven't gotten feedback about my changing figure. Back when I was frustrated about no one noticing, some 3FC members gave me explanations why people just don't comment. And they were right! Experiencing being the acquaintance who should be "noticing" someone had lost weight, was a major eye-opener.

Llilith
08-15-2013, 03:57 PM
TooWicky - That's a really good point about reasons people might not comment! I never considered that, thanks for sharing.

I was 232 this morning. I really feel like I am melting - this time seems so different than my other attempts. I really feel like the overeating and bad food doesn't sound as good feeling heathly and looking better. Maybe cause this time I'm doing it for my health instead of vanity - but boy do I feel sexy and pretty lately. Amazing what 30 pounds gone can do for you mentally!! :carrot::carrot:

PreciousMissy
08-15-2013, 05:01 PM
TooWicky, what a lovely story! I'm extra glad it had a happy ending, lol.

224 today. I guess you were right issaknits, it must have been water weight. Now I just need to get back down to my ticker weight *snicker*.

I have a proud moment I would like to brag about :^:...we ordered pizza Monday night (or was it Tuesday....no, it was certainly Monday), and the boyfriend and I like different toppings, so we usually half the pizza. Well, we ended up ordering the Big box deal that comes with pasta and two medium pizzas. I ate two pieces and didn't touch it again. Last night I ended up individually bagging and freezing slices (he really hates my pizza, lol) so I wouldn't have to toss out (almost) an entire pizza. I figure the next time he wants to order pizza he can get a whole one with his toppings and I can just heat up a piece or two. AAAANNNDDD, I never touched the pasta, I told him to eat it all, that I didn't want any.

wishfuiiy
08-15-2013, 07:03 PM
TooWicky, You hit the nail on the head. I had wondered why people who I had not seen in ages, didn't say anything to me when I saw them looking me up and down. One of my regulars, as I'm a waitress, leaned in and whispered one day, "Girl, I didn't want to say anything but you have lost so much weight. You look great."

They really just don't want to be rude after all. Now, it's hard for people NOT to notice.

PreciousMissy, you did good. I know I could've killed half a pizza with no sweat.

suzukigurl
08-15-2013, 11:01 PM
Hi everyone :wave: I am so excited that as of this morning I can officially say I made it into the 230's! I don't know if it's because I feel like I am so much closer to onederland being out of the 240's or what it is but I MADE IT!!! LOL even if it was just by a hair, officially 239.5 yeah me. I have a feeling I will be hanging out here for awhile since I can't see dropping into the teens to quickly but that's ok as long as the scale keeps moving on the right direction it's all good.

CrazyCatWoman
08-15-2013, 11:49 PM
Hi all

Brilliant comments here. I have just returned to work after the 10 week summer break and the comments and shocked faces have been gratifying! I'm hoping I'll set a good example to the kids I teach, although obesity is not so common here.

I seem to be stuck at about 237 too for a few days, but have had a big change of routine so am not too surprised.

Have a good weekend all of you!

SeeMyFeet
08-16-2013, 12:23 AM
Welllll....the weekend was so quiet around here....now all you kittykats have come back...with new friends....chirpin' all cheerful n chipper....like those birds outside my window at 5am!! busy busy busy

I've been stayin' away on purpose on accounta I have been feeling down....like a failure at everything in my life. Back in Nov, I was determined to change my internal dialogue, be happy/productive/fulfilled/live life/etc. Not just a diet, mind you. Well, i haven't felt like chirping along with you this week. I've mentioned already that I work with "difficult" people. I admit, I let their rude, unprofessional, sexist, AH attacking remarks get to me. I suffered in (somewhat) silence (poor husband), but I'm on the other side now. Stronger. Finding opportunities in a bad situation. Not letting people drive me into a closet and hiding the gifts I INTEND to give back to the world. I actually found a level of confidence and joy i did not have before. I hope I can maintain it.

So, I'm stuck in the low 20s. Still. I was up to 224, but am back down to 222. I don't think the emotional roller coaster is entirely to blame. I guess I'm not such a big loser after all!

Keep on truckin' ladies! We're on our way to better health/better life/better everything. I'm sure of it!

Llilith
08-16-2013, 10:27 AM
PreciousMissy - You did great with the pizza. That food is my nemesis. I am pizza fiend. Lately I've been getting the delite crust veggie from papa murphy's - I checked around and that is the best calorie pizza I can find. One piece of a large is about 170 calories. And you dissed the pasta too? right on!!

wishfuiiy - Wow, you are inspiring to me! You have lost so much, that is really great.

suzukigurl - Yay for being in the 230s! I like the fact that this thread is for both 220's and 230's - I can stay longer and get to know people a bit. I love this forum - the support is awesome!

CrazyCatWomen - They have crazy cat women in Finland too? LOL :D It must be so great to see people's reactions to your pounds lost.

SeeMyFeet - Your posts make me smile! But I'm sorry you've been feeling down. It's hard not to let the difficult people get to you! I'm sorry they suck. Perhaps you need to step on their neck? :o I love that you are turning it into something positive though. And your confidence and joy - right on!! Please keep chirping with us. :)

Today I was 230.6. I'm starting to worry, again, that its going to fast, but I really am so excited. We'll see what Dr. says at my next appointment in September. I'm worried I won't be able to keep it off. BUT - I have motivation to do that. My daughter's wedding is next June, and I don't want to be the fat mamma! (there's some vanity dammit - maybe this isn't just about health?) She asked me to walk her down the aisle. I am stunned and honored and I'd love to look svelte while I am proudly walking my beautiful daughter to join her new husband. :)

Issaknits
08-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Hey, more new people! Hi everyone! :wave:

:hug: seemyfeet. Toxic people, especially at the workplace (I swear we spend more time with our co-workers than we do with our own families!) are the pits. I'm glad that you're able to turn their negatives into something positive though.

Fantastic news today: I hit 237.9 before it went to 238.2, so I'm taking the lowest number and running with it. :lol: Yaaaaaay, no more 239s! Second and most important bit of news: I went to the foot doctor about my sore ankle and nothing serious is wrong with it. I have a bit of achillies tendonitis and loose ligaments around the ankle, but that's it! I need to check out some mobility stretches to help that out and I'll see him back in a month to see how things are doing. He gave me a brace that looks like the inside of a hi-top to help stabilize my foot and he gave me the green light to not only continue running, but (as long as I have the brace on) to start deadlifting and squatting! No more upper body-only workouts! *cue Kermit the Frog's excited dance*

PreciousMissy
08-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Thanks for all the virtual pats on the back!

Welcome suzukigurl!

seemyfeet, :hug: you are not a failure...you're a loser, of 28 lb to be exact ;). I think everyone has emotional roller coasters from time to time *blush*. Just know, if you want to cry/vent/rant in this thread we've all done it from time to time. As for the people at work, I can't stand people who are constantly negative. There have been times I've said "wow, so much anger..." Some times it puts them in check, other times it gets them to avoid me because they were called out. Either way, things improve for me...I just have to be cautious who I say it to...never the owner...although, it might do him some good, lol.

224 today. No change in weight, but there is a change in inches. I don't measure, but, I put on a shirt that I haven't worn in a while. I've worn tank tops under it because I couldn't get it buttoned around the bust. This morning, with a tank top on, I was able to get it buttoned AND it didn't pull. Ya'll know the button-bust pull, where it looks like the button could pop any minute and put out an eye. :lol:

wishfuiiy
08-16-2013, 02:02 PM
Down to the solid 222.0! Ugh, so close I can taste it. I went for a good hike yesterday, and I ate two solid meals so I think it helped. I noticed that after a solid binge, I lose more weight. I even had a little ice cream as my carb count was extremely low and I could afford it as a little cheat. Well, it helped bust me out of the 223 cycle that I was on so, weee.

reallytrying
08-17-2013, 12:20 PM
This is me. Last time I weighed, last week, I was 237lbs. I've upped my gym routine and started on low carb as well as counting calories. The only thing is, I've been having severe health problems that have gotten in the way of me giving 100%. :( I'm 26 and they found an ovarian cyst on my right ovary in April. Also, the doctors think I may have endometriosis. My mom had that when she was my age and I have all the symptoms. It is terrifying for me as I do want children one day (like in the next couple of years) and very painful. This past period was horrible, lasting 2 weeks! So on Friday I had lost so much blood, I had to go to the ER. They thought they would have to do a transfusion. I even had to miss work. Luckily they didn't need to give me a transfusion as it wasn't low enough but it was low. I've had to stop my exercise routine to take a break but I did go to the gym today for an hour. It was a big mistake. I felt dizzy and like I had no strength. Anyway, I hope I am okay enough to make a come back on Monday. I'm moving to Spain in late September and would love, love to be in the 2 teens by then. Sorry to vent but I've not been able to tell anyone except my mom how poorly and frustrated I've felt. :/

zoesmom
08-17-2013, 01:40 PM
This is me. Last time I weighed, last week, I was 237lbs. I've upped my gym routine and started on low carb as well as counting calories. The only thing is, I've been having severe health problems that have gotten in the way of me giving 100%. :( I'm 26 and they found an ovarian cyst on my right ovary in April. Also, the doctors think I may have endometriosis. My mom had that when she was my age and I have all the symptoms. It is terrifying for me as I do want children one day (like in the next couple of years) and very painful. This past period was horrible, lasting 2 weeks! So on Friday I had lost so much blood, I had to go to the ER. They thought they would have to do a transfusion. I even had to miss work. Luckily they didn't need to give me a transfusion as it wasn't low enough but it was low. I've had to stop my exercise routine to take a break but I did go to the gym today for an hour. It was a big mistake. I felt dizzy and like I had no strength. Anyway, I hope I am okay enough to make a come back on Monday. I'm moving to Spain in late September and would love, love to be in the 2 teens by then. Sorry to vent but I've not been able to tell anyone except my mom how poorly and frustrated I've felt. :/

First, endometriosis isn't the end game to pregnancy. My four year old is proof of that. On July 13, 2008 I was told I needed to have all my lady bits removed. I scheduled surgery for the end of September. September....crap...15th?...I found out I was pregnant. DAYS before I would no longer be able to ever be. I was 25.

Second, it is hard...the blood loss, the dizzy spells, the fatigue, all of it. But...it is manageable. High doses of birth control can help. Believe it or not, exercise can help. Even if you are in that worse ever cramp, it really can help. I learned, for me, water sports were the WORST to do, but walking or bicycling helped a lot.

Third, watch WHAT you eat. It differs from person to person. For me, carbs eased the pain, so I binged on them. For some people, carbs makes it worse. Learn your triggers.

Fourth, only a small percentage are ACTUALLY sterile. They can do things through surgery for most people. Very rarely are there people who can not be helped by a "clean up" and have to have their bits removed...and then you have people like me...it didn't help the problem, but it cleaned enough out of the way for me to conceive.

But mostly, don't give up. There are far worse things to have than endrometriosis. Trust me. And many MANY people have found ways to cope with it and still manage to have kids...and get to feeling better.

:hug: to you. I remember being where you are. I remember the fear, the pain, the disbelief, and the heartache, but it isn't so bad once you learn how to cope.

TooWicky
08-17-2013, 08:40 PM
Hi guys!

I shed another ½ lbs. and I'm down to 236½ lbs. This week has been a wild ride as far as my dieting is concerned. The previous months had been so boring, having a wacky week is majorly disconcerting! I was losing about 3 lbs. per week, which I felt was more than sufficient, so I upped my calories slightly to try and target 2 lbs. per week. I almost wish I hadn't upset the apple cart of my routine. I sort of ran out of healthy snacks to rotate thru each day. I had crappy sleep patterns. I also had a couple of margaritas one night this week which I belatedly realized is not the most low calorie of drinks -.- In addition there were a couple of homemade meals that I consumed where I really WAG'd how many calories it had. I drank less water this week as well, instead having one diet soda per day and a fair amount of sports drinks - the sweet tasting drinks prompted some salty snack cravings. My official weigh-in day is Tuesday. At this point I'm just hoping to have lost one pound! We shall see.

I so very much hope to be in the 220s at some point. 223 will be an important milestone. I will no longer be "Obese level II," but "Obese level I." 223 will also be my pre-pregnancy weight (my daughter is 11 years old, so it's been a loooong time since I have seen that weight.)

reallytrying, you are in my thoughts :hug: You come here and vent anytime! I am glad there are some other ladies on here that can speak to your health challenges.

wishfuiiy, congratz on busting thru 223 :) You are so very close to the teens!!

PreciousMissy, I had to lol at the button-bust pull :D That is the main reason I haven't even bothered with trying to wear buttoned shirts in years. Yay for stylin' in your tank/buttoned shirt combo.

Suzukigirl, :welcome:

CrazyCatWoman
08-18-2013, 01:25 PM
Hi all and thanks for yet more motivating posts. Knowing I am not alone in this helps.

Yes, there are Crazy Cat Women in Finland - but maybe not that many! I'm a Brit so consider myself an import :)

I am feeling stuck, but need to be patient. My routine has changed with going back to work so my weight has leveled for a bit. I am back to starting the C25K program though on the treadmill after a knee problem, and also want to do some HIIT on the stationary bike. I am really enjoying sweating buckets after a work out.

Have a good week everyone :)

HelloNurse
08-18-2013, 06:00 PM
CrazyCatWoman, I am obsessed with Finland and hope to visit someday.

I took another longish break from weight loss. It seems to be my rhythym that I lose for a while, then take maintenance breaks. I guess I'm OK with that.

I did lose 2 pounds this week. Go me! With that, I now have less than 100 pounds to lose. For some reason 96 pounds just sounds less daunting than 100. *shrug*

punkrocksong
08-19-2013, 08:04 AM
Hello everyone! I'm officially in the 230's now! I wasn't sure if I was going to make it this month or not as my weight loss has pretty significantly slowed down - which I am totally OK with. I was starting to freak out a little because of some medical stuff I'm going through, but it's nothing serious and hopefully things will be going to a more "normal" pace from here on out.

Llilith
08-19-2013, 12:58 PM
reallytrying - wow, that's a lot to be going through. I'm sending positive thoughts and healing energy your way.

TooWicky - Yay for being down another half pound! For the margarita's, there is a company called Baja Bobs that makes sugar free drink mixes - they make for a less guilty margarita, since the mixer part is zero calories. It's pretty good too! I am also looking forward to seeing my BMI level come down. I was laughing the other day about being excited to be Obese level II instead of Obese level III. That will be a huge deal for me, I'm not sure how many pounds it will take, but I need to shed about 3 more BMI points to get there. So far I've lost 6 I think.

CrazyCatWomen - Good for you sticking through the stuck! You've lost so much already, I'm sure you'll unstick soon enough :-) Keep on keepin' on is the key, I think.

HelloNurse - I like idea of maintenance breaks - that's cool if you can take a break and not gain back some. I'm most scared about being able to keep off what I've lost. 96 is less daunting than 100! :)

punkrocksong - YAY good to see you in this thread! Sending positive thoughts for your getting through the medical stuff. Glad it isn't serious. It's good that you aren't letting it derail you.

Good news - I am 229 today!! I haven't seen a number in the 220's for many many years. And - 229 is the magic number where I told myself it would be ok to tell my hubby how much I weight. Until last night, I kept the number secret, just cause I was embarrassed. I almost didn't say anything and set another "tell him when" goal, but I sucked it up and just did it. Guess what? He didn't run screaming from the room haha. He's a wonderful, supportive man - I let my own shame color what I thought would be his response. Anyway, I feel so great, so happy to be under 230! At a birthday party this weekend, I was introduced to a woman there and she recognized me from high school!!! I'm 45, so I am very flattered that she recognized me from when I was 16. I didn't remember her at all, so it was weird. She knew my maiden name and everything. I think that if I hadn't lost these 32 pounds, that my face would have been less recognizable. So yay!

fairandfree
08-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Hi! Just dropping in to say hello... I am very newly in my 230s (Weighed in at 238.6 this morning, which is just 3.6 pounds away from my first sub-goal! I am super excited!), and not really sure what to do with myself really! I should go have some lunch though... so I shall :3

Hope you're all having a good day so far!

Issaknits
08-19-2013, 03:21 PM
I have a feeling that I'm going to be darting in and out of this thread again. Stupid TOM is next week and my weight always jumps up the week before and the week of. In order to keep positive, I'm staying off the scale and just continuing doing what I've been doing.

Tonight is my very first dedicated Leg Day. The brace is working like a charm and I even managed to squat 40 lbs. on Friday as a test run for tonight's workout. I'm ridiculously excited about finally getting the okay to do full-body stuff.

I'm also ridiculously thrilled about how my crock pot braised short ribs came out. Super easy, super tasty and according to myfitnesspal's recipe builder, less than 300 calories per serving. Definitely going on my "try this again" list.

PreciousMissy
08-19-2013, 04:26 PM
It sounds like everyone is making progress, be it on the scale or in the gym!

toowicky, what is "WAG's"?

224 today :shrug: I'll take it I guess :).

This weekend was very nice and relaxing. I bought a food processor Saturday. I've wanted one for a while now, so boyfriend and I spent Saturday slicing and dicing. I made homemade salsa that I proceeded to put on everything I ate this weekend *giggle*.

We also went to the farmer's market Sunday and bought a cantaloupe and a honeydew melon. I made sure to cube both of them up right away (with out the food processor's help, darn it). I know me...if a hot dog is easier to grab than a cup of fruit, guess what I'm gonna do. Now I have two huge tupperware containers full of melon. Honeydew with a little salt on it :drool:...who needs dinner?

TooWicky
08-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Good morning!

I was so excited. Yesterday morning I weighed in at 235.. which was a total of 40 lbs lost :) It was fleeting though; I worked til midnight last night and ate the last 500 of my daily allotted calories after I got home >< So my weekly official weigh-in, which is this morning, is 236. Hey, it's still a 1 1/2 lbs. loss over last week and after the wacky dieting week I had, I'm relieved I lost anything!

It seems like everyone at my work is fussing over my weight loss as I think I've lost just enough for it to finally be generally noticeable. I only work one or two days per week, and we are mostly part-time employees, so it can take a few weeks of working before you overlap with everybody if you know what I mean. One person I worked with last night hadn't seen me in almost 6 weeks, for example. The word they are using most is that they are "proud" of me. I can't express how that word touches me and motivates me. These co-workers are also my friends, and it means so much to me that they sincerely wish me good health and good luck in my endeavor. I am lucky to work with such awesome ladies (and a few gentleman, too.)

I have one friend that seems to be having some difficulty with the situation of my weight loss. This is a friend that I care about that has been unsuccessful at losing weight. There is some weird awkwardness at times when we run into each other. It appears to be painful sometimes for her to remark on my weight loss, but she looks like she feels obligated to say something :( which of course isn't necessary. Any advice appreciated.

PreciousMissy, I meant "wild azz guess" lol as in I had no idea how many calories were in the food so I just guessed. Also, I eat salsa nearly every single day, I don't know why, but I have always loved it and it's a go-to snack for me with baked tortilla chips :)

fairandfree and punkrocksong so happy to see familiar faces and welcome :) !!

gratz, Llilith on 229 whoo hoo!!!!

zoesmom
08-20-2013, 09:34 AM
:hug: ISSAKNITS!!! I feel ya there!

Llilith
08-20-2013, 10:29 AM
It seems like everyone at my work is fussing over my weight loss as I think I've lost just enough for it to finally be generally noticeable. I only work one or two days per week, and we are mostly part-time employees, so it can take a few weeks of working before you overlap with everybody if you know what I mean. One person I worked with last night hadn't seen me in almost 6 weeks, for example. The word they are using most is that they are "proud" of me. I can't express how that word touches me and motivates me. These co-workers are also my friends, and it means so much to me that they sincerely wish me good health and good luck in my endeavor. I am lucky to work with such awesome ladies (and a few gentleman, too.)

I have one friend that seems to be having some difficulty with the situation of my weight loss. This is a friend that I care about that has been unsuccessful at losing weight. There is some weird awkwardness at times when we run into each other. It appears to be painful sometimes for her to remark on my weight loss, but she looks like she feels obligated to say something :( which of course isn't necessary. Any advice appreciated.

That is so awesome that people are noticing and commenting. I work at home and so I go days without seeing anyone but hubby and the kids. It would be cool to have people who regularly see me notice. Hubby has though, LOL. I was in the kitchen bending down to get a pan and he's behind me - He says "hello my svelte wife" :P perv - but it made me smile!

I have a good friend, probably my best friend, and she is quite overweight - she never seems to comment when I made FB posts to talk about my weight loss successes. It's like those comments or "likes" are very conspicuously absent - cause she comments on my other status updates. And now she posts recipes all the time! Maybe that last part is in my head, but it sure seems like more recipes since I started counting calories. I wish she'd say something nice about it, but I think she just can't... I'm trying to understand and not be too offended by it. I really don't want this to ruin our friendship. So yeah, I'll be watching for any advice you get on this too.

All the people who notice, do you ever feel like "gosh what did they think of me before?" like I'm somehow more worthy since I weigh less? Sometimes that crosses my mind and it feels weird.

Issaknits
08-20-2013, 11:27 AM
Morning! How is everyone today?

:hug: right back at'cha, zoesmom. I was kinda bummed, but then realized that I was looking at my calendar wrong and the bump in weight last week was because TOM is scheduled to show up sometime this week.

Ooof, jelly legs yesterday! Instead of squatting a combined 40 lbs with two dumbbells, I did 30 lbs with the barbell. After doing the inital "let's see just how much I can lift" session, the 30 was just enough to make me wobbly at the end. LOVE IT. Tonight's run might be moved indoors because there just may be a chance of rain! Completely don't mind the change in venue if we get something to help with the drought issues.

Balsamic Braised Beef Short Ribs
(serves 4 [2 short ribs per serving], 283 calories per serving)

4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
6 cloves garlic, smashed
16 oz. tomato sauce
6 whole dried dates (I didn't have any on hand, so I used about 1/4 to 1/2 cup light brown sugar instead and used that as my calorie count measure)
salt and pepper

Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Brown in a skillet. Transfer short ribs to a crockpot and add in remaining ingredients. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Shred and serve.

I wound up forgetting about them and they cooked for more like 10 hours. When I looked at it, I figured they were done when I saw bones floating up in the cooking liquid. These are really good and when I was getting today's lunch portion out of the crock pot, the cooking liquid had thickened to something like a barbeque sauce. There is a pretty sizeable amount of fat if you don't trim the ribs beforehand, but after leaving the dish in the fridge overnight, it's easy to skim off and discard.

This also calls for 1 tbs of coconut oil to brown the ribs in, but I wasn't reading the recipe as I cooked and forgot about it, so I omitted it from the recipe and the calorie count for future use. I just used my usual spritz of cooking spray to keep the meat from sticking.

HelloNurse
08-20-2013, 11:46 AM
One of my friends brought me in a birthday cake to work today. my favorite flavor from my favorite bakery. Of course, it was a surprise so I hadn't figured it into my calorie and carb totals when I meal planned for the day.

So....I was able to make myself happy with a *small* little sliver, and thanked her profusely for thinking of me. Then I discreetely went into My Fitness Pal in the bathroom and subbed it in for another snack I had been planning for the day. yay! I had my cake and ate it too.

For lunch today I had a small salad packed in a tupperware container and I topped it with a 3 oz pack of salad shrimps. I actually had to force myself to finish it, because I was so full but I knew that if I quit before I finished then I would be starving soon. I think my stomach capacity is shrinking; is that even possible? I hope so, it would be so nice to be able to just naturally be full on less food.

grneyedmustang
08-20-2013, 12:02 PM
----> Peeks in thread...hi everyone!

Struggling in the latter 230's. I'd like to be at 235 before the end of the month but I don't know because I'm not as consistent as I need to be!

cleancowgirl
08-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Hi everyone! I just made it here to the 230's and I might know some of you already from the previous threads that have made it here. Currently at 239.2 .

evolving
08-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Hello all! Just got my computer back after almost 2 months. Looks like a lot of people met goals during that time. I did, or had. Weighed in at 227.8 Saturday, but back up to 230.4 today. We ate all the carbs over the weekend though, which is almost always a huge problem. So I was kind of expecting it.

Anyways, posting to say hi and to post my success. I say success because Saturdays are my official weigh in day for this month so technically I was/am out of the 230's and I will be out of them again on and after my weigh in this coming Saturday. Now to conquer the 220's and not slide backwards

CrazyCatWoman
08-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Hi all

I love the idea of having your cake and eating it! But I dare not.....

When I started out on this weightloss journey I was really shocked by the responses of some people - 'what do you want to do that for?' and 'but you'll just end up looking dried up and old'. I was really shocked. Now the same people are telling me how great I look.

When colleagues say 'wow, what have you done ?' I just turn round quite simply and say I eat better food, and less of it, and exercise, and wanted to do it because I was so fat. The shock on faces when you own up to the 'elephant in the room' (literally) is amazing. Maybe I am just too fond of stating the obvious and telling it like it is.

I also tell them I have a long way to go, and then wish I could take a photo of their faces! Gotta have some fun, afterall.

PreciousMissy
08-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Way to go hellonurse! And Happy Birthday!!!!!! Let me sing you the song of my people...:bday2you:...did I mention that my people have bright yellow skin, perfectly round heads, and black dots for eyes? hahaha!

224 today.

Not much to report...same ol', same ol' here.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week!

PreciousMissy
08-21-2013, 01:52 PM
Hello all!

222 today...not too shabby. I'll take it, hopefully I'll get to keep it!

I'm certainly going to have to fight to keep it this weekend. Friday afternoon I have lunch with a friend, Friday evening I have happy hour planned, then Saturday afternoon lunch again with another friend. With all that eating out I just have to remember to stay away from anything battered and deep fried...it really is my achilles heel.

Oh, and today is cake day at work *hangs head*. Does anyone have any spare will power I can borrow?

Issaknits
08-21-2013, 03:21 PM
I'd offer you some of mine, but it's currenly in a carb-overload from a business lunch that consisted of a 6 oz. steak, steamed broccoli, a baked sweet potato and two dinner rolls.

My thinking was "*flip table over* Efff the no bread rule! We're lifting tonight!" I wan't hungry yesterday, so I skipped dinner and then I wasn't hungry this morning, so I skipped breafast as well. Kinda wondering if my body isn't doing an impromptu foray into IF with a noon-7 PM window?

Happy belated birthday, hellonurse! Hope you had a wonderful day!

HelloNurse
08-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the birthday wishes, everyone.

Issknits, I would have paid good money to watch you flip the table at a dinner.

I have been coming it at around 800-1000 calories daily. I have 1200 calorie budget, but I haven't been hungry enough to eat that many. I figure that eating when I'm not hungry would be a reinforcement of bad habits that got me here, so coming in at a low count is the lesser evil.

Sweetie is working a weird schedule this week, which is interrupting my sleep in the middle of the night. So I'm not sleeping well and I'm napping in the afternoons. Again, I figure forcing myself to stay awake when I'm exhausted is more harmful than taking a nap if I need it that badly.

On top of all that I think TOM might be coming. I always get super tired right before it, and I'm definitely still feeling some water bloat on my fingers and feet.

All of that means that this week I feel too tired to work out. I'll definitely get back into it next week, maybe even this weekend. But I am afraid that if I lift while I'm this tired I will just get hurt. Despite doing it all "wrong" this week, I'm still posting losses so :?: I am just trying to listen to what my body is telling me.

One thing I'm learning is that people who seem "naturally skinny" often pay more attention to diet than we think. I might see my friend eat a giant dinner at The Cheesecake Factory, but I don't necessarily notice her eating less the next day to make up for it. Because she doesn't make a big deal about it, she's just not very hungry because she just had a 2000 calorie dinner at The Cheesecake Factory.

I'm also realizing that every week is not going to be the same. Some weeks I will be less hungry. Some weeks I will have a ton of energy for the gym. Some weeks I will have to take a small maintenance break because I'm too crabby to continue dieting. All of these are OK, I just have to have a plan to keep good habits *mostly* in place and keep the bad habits *mostly* at bay.

wishfuiiy
08-21-2013, 07:42 PM
Man, oh man! I hate water weight. I knew it was coming with my salty diet as of late, but I didn't think I'd see it in the form of 3 pounds up from 220. Oh well, I know with lots of water and patience it'll shed back off. I'm glad you ladies are well.

Issaknits
08-22-2013, 09:44 AM
Still at 237 this morning, so the sweet potato and rolls didn't do any damage, yay!

I'm seriously thinking about not renewing my gym membership when the end of October rolls around. I was originally using it for the weight room and the bike machines, but now I'm lifting with Dad and I've moved on to the gym's outside track to get my cardio in. They mailed everyone a notice saying that the membership dues are going to be going up as well, so that's another strike against renewal. I was thinking about looking into buying a rowing machine with the money I would have spent on the gym, but then again, Mom and Dad have a treadmill that's gathering dust that they've said I can use whenever I'm over there and I already go out running with my co-workers every other day.

I'm going to miss the flock of bearded lifters/crossfit dudes, but sadly, they aren't worth spending the $$$ to watch.

And I found out some semi-bad news. The brace that my doctor gave me is supposed to be okay to run in, but I get to the quarter mile mark and it gets pretty painful. I'm going to have to give running a rest until I see him again, and normally I'd be upset and stressed out about it. Instead, I'm looking for creative ways to get around this stumbling block. It just so happened that I found a bellydancing DVD the other day while I was cleaning. I tried out the tape and none of the moves hurt my ankle, so instead of lacing up my running shoes, I'm going to start shimmying in the living room. :)

Llilith
08-22-2013, 10:45 AM
Hi everyone. Happy Thursday. I'm a pretty discouraged today, as it looks like my great streak is over. I had been losing a bit steadily each day lately and got down to 227. But, people have been saying I'm not eating enough (my budget is just over 1300 calories but I'd been coming in at about 1000). Last night I made tempura zuchinni. Boy was it hard to find calorie information for that, but I thought I'd figured it high. I am so bummed cause I gained two pounds over night. There is no way I'm going to keep this weight off if I can't even eat 1300 calories and enjoy some of my favorite dinners now and then. It's like the only way I lose is if I really deprive myself - that sucks.

PreciousMissy
08-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Oh llilith! Don't get discouraged! You're doing awesome! Please try to remember, we're eating at such a calorie deficit to lose weight. Once you reach your goal I can only assume that you'll up your calories to maintenance level. My weight loss has been very slow. I figured my two choices were to either dump my calories and deprive myself on a regular basis, or accept that I am going to lose weight very very slowly. There are going to be times in your life where you go out to dinner and eat a fried something. I think it's important to remember that, that is not going to happen every meal of every day. Tempura zucchini is a rare treat :)

224 today. I guess the 222 was just a fleeting thing :).

HelloNurse
08-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Lilith There is no possible way you ate 7000 calories worth of tempura zucchini, so there is no way you *really* gained 2 lbs overnight. It's probably water from something or other, and it'll go away. So don't beat yourself up, we all NEED our indulgences from time to time. Otherwise life would be a drag.
I've been skinny before, and I can tell you from experience that maintenance is so much easier than loss! It'll be fine, just keep plugging away.

My scale read 224.6 today. Which not only puts me at my next mini-goal, but it also represents a 4.4 lb loss for the past 7 days. Yay! I will have to wait and see if it sticks for 3 days in a row to make sure it's not just water fluctuations, but the graph in MyFitnessPal looks like it plots to that point quite smoothly. So for today, I'm ticking this one in the SV column. In the NSV column, I got into a smaller size of scrubs at work.

Issaknits
08-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Seconding what everyone else is saying, Llilith. The extra weight gain is more than likely water retention/sodium bloat and it'll work its way out of your system in several days.

:hug: it's so darn discouraging to step on the scale and see a number higher than what we'd like it to be. You're doing fantastic (seriously, you're flying through decades!) and this is just a bit of a hiccough. An indulgence is just that, an indulgence. If we didn't have one every once and a while, we'd go nuts. I'm sure that after a couple of days, everything will be right back on track for you.

Llilith
08-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Thank you all for the words of encouragement! I was feeling so whiny this morning after I stepped on the scale. You are all right about it being temporary, I bet. And yeah, no way did I eat 7000 calories of tempura zucchini! I had about 15 small disks, and logged it as 700 calories since I could find no consistent information anywhere. I'm going to make it again and this time measure the oil I put in the pan to fry, and then measure the leftover oil to see exactly how much the zucchinis soak up - that way I'll have a real calorie count on it.

I recently learned about coconut oil, and I'm going to start using that. I guess there are amazing benefits to using it, so it makes something fried a little less bad.

I am so grateful for this board - thank you again for being the voice of reason. :)

And so, I am not going to let this derail me. The old me would have said %$#$ it and ordered a large pizza for lunch today. Instead, yogurt is on the menu. I'm reminded about something I read in WW magazine recently about going off track on your diet. Often people use that as an excuse to go totally off plan after, but they put it like this: If you have a flat tire, do you go out and pop the other three or do you just fix the broken one? I'm gonna keep that in mind.

:hug:

Issaknits
08-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Coconut oil is amaaaaazing. Get two jars, one for the kitchen and another for the bathroom. I'll do a weekly hair mask that leaves my hair super soft and shiny. You just have to make sure you shampoo/rinse a couple of times to get it all out. A word of caution, it is pretty calorie-dense for a tablespoon. I can't remember how much off the top of my head, but read the label and adjust accordingly. I've used a half-tablespoon to grease the bottom of my casserole dish when I make my Egg Monster and it winds up almost frying the bottom of the eggs to make a crunchy crust and I'll put a bit in my pans to sautee veggies or pan sear steaks.

Baked tempura (with calorie counts): http://www.everydayhealth.com/health-recipe/baked-vegetable-tempura.aspx

Why you shouldn't 100% trust the scale: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/07/3-reasons-to-reconsider-stepping-on-the-scale-this-morning/

Llilith
08-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Coconut oil is amaaaaazing. Get two jars, one for the kitchen and another for the bathroom. I'll do a weekly hair mask that leaves my hair super soft and shiny. You just have to make sure you shampoo/rinse a couple of times to get it all out. A word of caution, it is pretty calorie-dense for a tablespoon. I can't remember how much off the top of my head, but read the label and adjust accordingly. I've used a half-tablespoon to grease the bottom of my casserole dish when I make my Egg Monster and it winds up almost frying the bottom of the eggs to make a crunchy crust and I'll put a bit in my pans to sautee veggies or pan sear steaks.

Baked tempura (with calorie counts): http://www.everydayhealth.com/health-recipe/baked-vegetable-tempura.aspx

Why you shouldn't 100% trust the scale: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/07/3-reasons-to-reconsider-stepping-on-the-scale-this-morning/

I read that the coconut oil is 130 calories a tbsp, which IS pretty steep, but gosh I read about people eating it as supplement. I can't imagine ever just eating a tablespoon of oil haha - but I can imagine using a little to cook with and being happy about reaping some health benefits at the same time!

THANK YOU for the baked tempura recipe. We have so much zucchini from the garden and tempura is my favorite way to eat it. And thanks for the scale article too - good stuff there! I will remember this part today "the scale does not define me" :)

HelloNurse
08-22-2013, 02:49 PM
Still at 237 this morning, so the sweet potato and rolls didn't do any damage, yay!

I'm seriously thinking about not renewing my gym membership when the end of October rolls around.
<snip>
I'm going to miss the flock of bearded lifters/crossfit dudes, but sadly, they aren't worth spending the $$$ to watch.
<snip>
[I]nstead of lacing up my running shoes, I'm going to start shimmying in the living room. :)

If you're lifting heavy enough weights for now at Dad's house, then I wouldn't waste money on the gym anymore. That will get the rest of your body strong enough that running isn't really giving you any benefit over any other form of cardio.

I made the same decision a while back; getting to the gym was just becoming so time consuming, so I'm looking for other training methods for now until I need heavier weights. Then I'll probably just look into a powerlifting gym. That would at least have the bearded Viking looking men I love so much. Powerlift gyms also tend to be no-frills warehouses full of weights, so the expense is usually much less. Course, the health club I went to didn't have any powerlifters, just guido looking dudes who sat in the squat rack between their supersets of light biceps curls in the mirror, so the decision to quit going was a lot easier for me than you. ;)

PreciousMissy
08-22-2013, 03:19 PM
I went to Costco yesterday and saw pallets of coconut oil. I had never heard of it before that, and here ya'll are, talking about it today, lol.

I might have to get some and try it in my hair. When I was younger my mother used to buy coconut hair dressing and put it in after she would wash my hair. (my hair was really dry and brittle when I was younger) I really think it is what helped me to have thick healthy hair as an adult.

Issaknits
08-22-2013, 03:27 PM
I've heard about using a spoonful of coconut oil in your coffee in lieu of sweetner, but I've never tried it.

I think my fitness goals have started to veer away from the group classes that I was going to for the past three years to the solo lifting stuff, so I'm going to keep going to the gym until my membership expires so I can get my money's worth and then do the at-home routine paired with free resources like the high school track and the hike & bike trail. I'm still a total newbie lifting the baby weights, but if it ever gets to the point where I've outgrown everything we have in the garage, (and if I do, that's waaaaaaaay in the future unless I start getting some mega fast strength gains) I might consider shopping around town to see if there's a no-frills gym available.

just guido looking dudes who sat in the squat rack between their supersets of light biceps curls in the mirror

No curling in the squat rack EVER. :mad: Not cool, Curlbro. Not cool.

fadedbluejeans
08-22-2013, 03:34 PM
I got to move my ticker down today :carrot: It's been a long time!

DaugT
08-22-2013, 08:15 PM
Hi! :wave:

Well, I am doing the very thing that a year and a half ago I promised myself I would never do, restart! :p
But I am where I am and can only move forward!

Weight problem my whole life, blah, blah, blah, fast forward to February 2012 at 245 pounds and I decided enough was truly enough this time! I got in the zone and kicked butt for almost 5 months, getting to a 39-pound loss . . . and then . . . brakes squealing . . . it all came to a stop.
Slowly since then I have inched my way back up to 231. I AM thankful I did not gain it all back and then some, as that has been my routine up until now.

I really wish I knew what stopped my progress, was I scared of onderland, only being 6 pounds away, do I have emotional baggage I still haven't dealt with, do I just plain like to eat too much?!??! Truth is, I simply don't know. I never consciously tell myself . . . time to sabotage or you are eating becase of XYZ. UGH!
I've spent a lot of time lately thinking about where I would be now had I stuck with it, but all that has done is make me gain another 5 pounds. LOL! So time to snap out of THAT! The saddest part was coming on here and having to delete my cute little 35-pound chick avatar. I WILL get that sucker back and a whole bunch of its friends too! :D

I have a milestone birthday coming up in December, so my mini goal is to get on that scale on my birthday and see the number ONE staring back at me.

Looking forward to going through this with everyone! TFL!

TooWicky
08-23-2013, 08:45 AM
Hey everybody!

Man oh man do I hate taking progress photos, in a way. I've forced myself to take some at 15 lbs lost, 25 lbs, and now 40½ lbs - ye olde front view and side view. Yesterday I changed it up a bit. I found a not-so-flattering pic of myself from about 3 months ago sitting in a computer chair. I posed similarly and had my daughter take a progress photo. Yes, I am smaller, and yes, that is motivating to see, BUT lawd I am still big all over and have a long way to go to get to a healthy weight. I feel much more comfortable comparing face photos. I have spent years avoiding photos that show my body and I'm a serial cropper of pics of myself. This is obviously just as much of a mental/emotional journey as a physical one! Onward!

Llilith, isn't it disconcerting to see the scale go up, however minutely? I have had a loooong run of losing 3 lbs per week on average. In a nutshell, that means that each time I step on the scale, I'm legit losing weight, as in a lower number, even if just a fraction of a number. I recently increased my calories a bit, and it's a whole different wild ride. Twice I have had bounce-ups of weight, which I was wholly not used to experiencing and I had to take a deep breath to not freak out. I have decided to trust in the numbers (of caloric intake,) and laser focus on my weekly Tuesday weigh-ins to observe my weight loss trend, rather than the day-to-day weight. You are definitely eating at a calorie deficit overall, and you WILL lose weight, hold firm!

I'm kind of curious about others who are counting calories and how much they are eating. My daily goal is to land anywhere from 1200-1400. I'm still trying out these levels and am hoping for about 2 lbs per week loss.

Hello DaugT :welcome: :)

Gratz, fadedbluejeans, on the ticker movement. That's wonderful!!

I don't know what is going on with coconut oil, but I suddenly feel like I must have some immediately, lol.

:bday2: HelloNurse! I, too, am in a terrible sleep pattern at the moment that involves 4 hours at night and a 3 hour nap during the day, lol, it's insane! It's a miracle I haven't completely blown my diet. I finally started a bit better of a sleep schedule the night before last, but it's still not normal. Hopefully I will be sleeping like a regular person in a few days. Good luck to you on this!

Llilith
08-23-2013, 11:16 AM
HelloNurse - I'm with you on the bearded viking men LOL

PreciousMissy - I heard that Costco has the best price around on the coconut oil, unless you find a killer sale somewhere. I couldn't believe all the good things that coconut is supposed to do for you - If true, it's quite amazing!

Issaknits - I also read that about the coconut oil in coffee. I don't know if I could deal with it - greasy coffee sounds weird. I guess some people eat it by the tablespoon as a supplement - obviously they aren't counting calories :P I heard it's good on popcorn, both to pop in and to use as the butter. Not low calorie, but I think it's good calories kinda like avocado. :-)

fadedbluejeans - yay - I love those days! Onderland by Christmas - you go girl!!

DaugT - welcome back! I don't know why our progress stops some times. I know for me, a lot of eating is emotional. In 2011 I'd done really well and lost about 30 pounds - then my Mom died and a year after, my dad. Talk about getting off track, omg the only thing I wanted was to sleep and eat. :( This time around I can really recognize that behavior in me again. I've been dealing with some stuff at work and really struggling with wanting unhealthy food. It actually is a craving for comfort for me. :( I hope you saved your 35 pound chick avatar - you'll need it soon enough!!

TooWicky - I totally get the photos thing. My uncle is a professional photographer. At every family gathering he takes tons of pics. I had to disable auto tagging on facebook cause some pics of me that were absolutely hideous got posted. Not due to his skills, but due to all my "insulation". I made a folder for weight loss pics to keep track of progress too. I still have to dig up a really bad pic from when I first started losing though. 40.5 pounds? That is so awesome!! Thanks for the words of encouragement about the scale. I had gotten used to seeing a small loss each day for awhile, so I was so disappointed to see an increase yesterday. However, everyone here was right - today I'm back to 227.8. I need to not beat myself up about the numbers. :) I'm allowed 1350 calories according to my Loseit app, if I want to lose 2 pounds a week. Sounds like we have pretty similar amounts.

HelloNurse
08-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Scale said 224.6 yesterday and 223.8 today, so I'm going to cut the difference and claim 224 lbs for myself. Which means I get to update my ticker to reflect the next mini-goal. Yay!

Maybe I'm weird, I love to have my picture taken. I used to not, but then my dad said to me "You might not like the way you look, but someday your nieces and nephews and children if you have them are going to wish they had more pictures of you." So now I pose happily and freely, because I remember that the pictures aren't for me, they're for people who will want to remember me. And they already know how I look, I'm not hiding anything.

Llilith
08-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Good point about the photos HelloNurse! One of my favorite musicians, Ani Difranco, has some song lyrics that come to mind.

"It took me too long to realize that I don't take good pictures because I have the kind of beauty that moves." Love that!

DaugT
08-23-2013, 02:27 PM
Scale said 224.6 yesterday and 223.8 today, so I'm going to cut the difference and claim 224 lbs for myself. Which means I get to update my ticker to reflect the next mini-goal. Yay!

Maybe I'm weird, I love to have my picture taken. I used to not, but then my dad said to me "You might not like the way you look, but someday your nieces and nephews and children if you have them are going to wish they had more pictures of you." So now I pose happily and freely, because I remember that the pictures aren't for me, they're for people who will want to remember me. And they already know how I look, I'm not hiding anything.

Thanks so much for this post, It is so true!! I am trying to change my mindset about pictures. I realize my kids are half grown and there are not many pics of me with them because I just wanted to look my best (like miraculously I would be 110 pounds LOL) . . . but I have to live in the now!! And you saying, they already know how I look, I'm not hiding anything, really hit home with me!!

PreciousMissy
08-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Wow, a lot to catch up on!

Short on time today, but I wanted to stop in and say hi :wave: and do my daily weight posting, lol.

224 today.

SeeMyFeet
08-24-2013, 07:36 AM
Helloooooo Ladies,

Thanks for all the comforting words when I mentioned work stress. I've been focusing effort on my brain (again), teaching myself how to roll with the punches and not let other people's toxicity, hatefulness, and bad behavior cause me trauma. (A lifelong struggle.) My methods are working--my friends and DS have commented on how happy I seem lately. And I am. Less Inner Turmoil. That crap has really cut into my productivity and I blame it for my weight. So today, Saturday, I'm up at 5:30 am, having coffee, cleaning the house, posting here, and getting work done (!?!?). I feel I've become a new person, like this kind of crap will never bother me again.

I did not step on the scale today. I'm sure the past week or two has caused some damage. I've been eating well, but not exercising much and I haven't counted calories, so I'm sure there was some creep. Three steps forward, two steps back. But pretty soon, I'll be saying "Mother, may I?" and I'll have my head in the game again....addicted to my spreadsheet, cracking jokes and blowing the weight loss whistle around here again.

Looks like you guys are kicking butt and taking names. Don't write my name down yet, I'll catch up.

CrazyCatWoman
08-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Hi everyone!

I know I'm not writing regularly but this thread is really helpful to me. I am still a bit stuck but had my 'day off' yesterday and enjoyed a wonderful meal out. I reduced the carbs but had a great curry. And the scales this morning were sympathetic.

As for photos..... I have spent years avoiding the camera but decided that for posterity (and to record a gigantic posterior) when I started out I would take photos on the same day each month. Not only that, I'd do clothed and unclothed versions. No one else can access them, so I feel safe about that! If I ever put weight back on I'll need those photos to show me what I do not want to become again. I am so glad I forced myself to stand in front of that camera.

On a different note - to help my motivation and also to help my class at school (I'm a teacher) I have suggested we raise money for our class trip next year by them sponsoring me to lose weight over 3 months: 1€ a kilo or so. Okay, it means I have to stand on a scale in front of them, but I hope I can show them I can be a role model. And it 'll help pay for the trip.

Have a good weekend everyone :)

Dendrobate
08-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Hello! I started on August 15 at 240 and today weighed in at 230.8 so I would love to join this group! Looking forward to getting into the 220's!

CrazyCatWoman
08-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Yay! Welcome Dendrobate. Great start.

DaugT
08-24-2013, 10:41 PM
Hi everyone!

I know I'm not writing regularly but this thread is really helpful to me. I am still a bit stuck but had my 'day off' yesterday and enjoyed a wonderful meal out. I reduced the carbs but had a great curry. And the scales this morning were sympathetic.

As for photos..... I have spent years avoiding the camera but decided that for posterity (and to record a gigantic posterior) when I started out I would take photos on the same day each month. Not only that, I'd do clothed and unclothed versions. No one else can access them, so I feel safe about that! If I ever put weight back on I'll need those photos to show me what I do not want to become again. I am so glad I forced myself to stand in front of that camera.

On a different note - to help my motivation and also to help my class at school (I'm a teacher) I have suggested we raise money for our class trip next year by them sponsoring me to lose weight over 3 months: 1€ a kilo or so. Okay, it means I have to stand on a scale in front of them, but I hope I can show them I can be a role model. And it 'll help pay for the trip.

Have a good weekend everyone :)

What a brave and wonderful idea!! That's awesome. Keep us posted, sounds like an all-around win situation!