General chatter - What are your Reading-July 2013 Edition

Smiling_Sara
07-02-2013, 03:29 PM
New month everyone! Please share with us what you are reading.

I'm reading Heart of the Matter by Emily Griffen

LGMongoose
07-02-2013, 04:00 PM
The Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore.

Angelic Fruitcake
07-02-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm still reading A Game of Thrones. I really like it so I don't know why it's taking me so long!

TurboMammoth
07-02-2013, 04:22 PM
I'm still reading A Game of Thrones. I really like it so I don't know why it's taking me so long!
I've been reading those books since last summer LOL I red 2 different book between the 3rd and the 4th, and another one between the 4th and the 5th (that I am still not done with) though.

Which one are you reading right now? :)

JenteIsving
07-02-2013, 04:28 PM
I just started reading "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" by Ransom Riggs.

Buffinlovin
07-02-2013, 06:12 PM
I'm re-reading the entire Sookie Stackhouse series from start to finish, since Charlaine Harris just released the final book for the series. I read the previous book so long ago, and the rest of the books even longer, and to be honest I seem to forget some of the finer details. It's slow going right now, still on the first book, but I know I didn't really get into the series until book 3, if I recall correctly.

diamondgeog
07-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Requiem by Ken Scholes. The series started with Lamentation. Very good series if you like fantasy and not super well known.

I have read all the Games of Thrones. I thought book one was good. Book two was ok. I HATED book 3. Hated the characters he focused, hated the writing, hated the plot.

Gave up on the series. But then my library started having book 4 and book 5 for free for my Kindle. So I gave them a try. I thought they were the best books in the series.

So I might be weird but hated book 3.

saggzz
07-02-2013, 06:27 PM
I just finished reading Last Night at Chateau Marmont by Lauren Weisberger.
Not sure what I am going to read next.

Psychic
07-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Currently reading...
The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

Read so far...
Firelight by Sophie Jordan
Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead
The Walking Dead Book 1 Graphic Novel

Missys Mom
07-02-2013, 08:29 PM
I am currently reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

I just finished Book 1 of the Thirst Series by Christopher Pike.

EagleRiverDee
07-02-2013, 09:43 PM
The Dome (inspired by the tv show) but I don't know- it's well written but it's just one tragedy after another and I keep waiting for there to be some sort of triumph for the good guys but so far nada. I'm actually not sure I'm going to finish it.

Jilu
07-02-2013, 09:48 PM
I'm currently reading "The Blade Itself" by Joe Abercrombie (First Law trilogy). It's a good fantasy book so far.

I'm also getting "Indexing" by Seanan McGuire. It's a Kindle Serial so they release an "episode" (about 40 pages) every 2 weeks. It's about an organization tasked with protecting the world from fairy tales. It's amazing so far with 4 episodes released. You buy it once and whenever a new episode is available it downloads straight to your kindle (or kindle app).

Seanan McGuire also has an amazing series of books called the October Daye series. It's about a halfblood fairy private detective. I adore them and foist the books on everyone at every opportunity.

Wisertime
07-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Currently reading Duma Key by Stephen King. Next on my list is Red Dragon by Thomas Harris.

Angelic Fruitcake
07-02-2013, 10:39 PM
I've been reading those books since last summer LOL I red 2 different book between the 3rd and the 4th, and another one between the 4th and the 5th (that I am still not done with) though.

Which one are you reading right now? :)

The first one! I'll definitely have to read something else before I start #2! It probably doesn't help that I'm reading them in English (which is not my first language) but I prefer not to read translations if I can help it.

Pink Hurricane
07-03-2013, 07:34 AM
Finished reading Sugar Salt Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us

Going to the library today to pick up A Game of Thrones.

chahma
07-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Recently finished "And the Mountains Echoed" by Khaled Hosseini.

Currently reading "Maya's Notebook" by Isabelle Allende. It's an interesting read, not really along the lines of Allende's typical late 1800s Spanish style writing, but I'll finish it.

Up next: "Together Tea" by Marjan Kamali.

Looking for a good detective/mystery series to begin.

diamondgeog
07-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Not reading it currently, but I encourage everyone to at least read the reviews for the Thursday Next books by Jasper Forde. They are a lot of fun. Especially for people who like to read. I know kind of a weird statement. But if you read the books you will understand.

Jilu
07-03-2013, 11:30 AM
I love the Thursday Next books. They make me incredibly happy.

FrouFrou
07-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Just finished Freeman and I LOVED it! Not my normal type of read but glad I did.

Miggy
07-08-2013, 11:20 PM
The Kite Runner for my school summer assignment...gotta write a paper too... :(

sparks17
07-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Also reading the Game of Thrones books this summer! So far I really like them...but I am waiting for Book three right now, as my daughter got to it first!

And I am reading a few non-fiction books as well - The Mindful Attraction Plan (Kay), The Disorganized Mind (Ratey), Ooh La La!: French Women's Secrets to Feeling Beautiful Every Day (Callan) and Cook This, Not That (Zinkzenko).

I like to have a few books going at once and I have more time to read in the summer so I am really enjoying myself right now!

EagleRiverDee
07-09-2013, 08:57 PM
I finished "The Dome" by Stephen King and am now back to reading the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon. I'm on "The Fiery Cross" right now. I've read them before but a long time ago, and they are great stories.

PatLib
07-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Big Brother by Lionel Shriver

Pink Hurricane
07-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Are the Thursday Next books anything like Pretty Little Mistakes? Random question I know, but I remember picking up Pretty Little Mistakes a few years ago and loved the way it was written, it was pretty cool!

forkeeps
07-10-2013, 10:05 AM
Just finished "The Mapmaker's War" by Ronlyn Dominigue. Loved it!

Now I am starting "World War Z" then I will read "Speaker for the Dead" by Orson Scott Card (first follow up book to "Ender's Game").

Yay reading!!!!!

CrystalNichols44
07-10-2013, 10:35 AM
I am reading Odd Interlude by Dean Koontz

LucreziaBorgia
07-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Just finished "Skinny B...." , moving on to some Sartre.

diamondgeog
07-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Flipped from Requiem by Ken Scholes to Mockingjay, last book in the Hunger Games trilogy because my July free Amazon prime book lend kicked in.

Really enjoyed it. Finished it a couple of nights ago. Very relevant to what is going on now. I call my daughter Catnip sometimes now. I hope she grows up to be as strong as Katniss.

Hey someone has to help raise the next gen rebels.

LucreziaBorgia
07-10-2013, 11:43 AM
Hey someone has to help raise the next gen rebels.

True, true.

Those books ARE great, aren't they? :)

diamondgeog
07-10-2013, 12:01 PM
Yes. They turned into the going to sleep too late kind of books.

As an aside I LOVE the Kindle Paperwhite. I have some friends that are like no no books are the only thing I will ever use.

Hogwash. I love books just as much as they do. They were a huge part of my life and still are. And ereaders are Awesome. Boomarks, light, a whole library that will fill two rooms in the palm of my hand. Easy to find any book. And the booklight of the lastest gen were the final bit of incredbileness.

I read about 4 times more having bought an ereader. Love, love, love em.

You are still reading a book. Did anyone somehow stop listening to music when cassets replaced records, and CDs replaced them. and MP3s replaced them? No.

Sorry for a bit off topic on what book we are reading. It just made me think of friends not using ereaders since I got Mockingjay and the other two on my Kindle. But I just cringe when my book loving friends wont even try ereaders. I was that way for a bit. And they were super expensive. But not as much now. Must have for book lovers I say. I'd say only get the Paperwhite if you go for Kindle though. The light is the best feature.

LucreziaBorgia
07-10-2013, 12:46 PM
I agree and I'm an e-book fan myself. It's easier to carry around ten books on an ipad than having to fit one into a luggage.

I know myself, a fast reader. And a traveller. For me, ebook readers are the best invention so far.

sparks17
07-10-2013, 03:38 PM
As an aside I LOVE the Kindle Paperwhite.

I'd say only get the Paperwhite if you go for Kindle though. The light is the best feature.

ITA. I got one for Christmas and I am reading more than I have for a while. Two of the books I am reading right now are on the Kindle - one Amazon Prime and the other from my library.

SuperHeroTeacher
07-10-2013, 05:02 PM
I LOVE my Kindle Paperwhite! I had a first generation Kindle and absolutely LOVED having my entire library with me wherever I go. I am reading anywhere from 3-5 different books at any given time, it was awesome not to have to worry about which book should I take with me, now I have them all with me all the time.

I bought myself the Paperwhite for my birthday last fall. I can't believe how much better it is! Now I can read in bed without my book light keeping my hubs awake - the screen is plenty lit for me to read without hurting my eyes, but dim enough that it doesn't light up the room.

Back on topic :D - I'm currently finishing up September by Rosamunde Pilcher and just recently downloaded Moms Who Drink and Swear for my vacation beach read in a couple weeks.

Mama Whitty
07-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Oh I love her blog and facebook posts. Can't wait to hear if her book is any good. I mean how can she make a whole book out of that topic. (Moms who drink and swear) I am currently reading a new Marian Keyes book on my kindle and saving 3 books from my favorite authors for my California Vacation in 3 weeks. I actually purchased the books, because I have trouble reading my kindle in the sun.

alinnell
07-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Recently finished "And the Mountains Echoed" by Khaled Hosseini.

Currently reading "Maya's Notebook" by Isabelle Allende. It's an interesting read, not really along the lines of Allende's typical late 1800s Spanish style writing, but I'll finish it.

Up next: "Together Tea" by Marjan Kamali.

Looking for a good detective/mystery series to begin.

How was And the Mountains Echoed? That one is on my query list.

Yes. They turned into the going to sleep too late kind of books.

As an aside I LOVE the Kindle Paperwhite. I have some friends that are like no no books are the only thing I will ever use.

Hogwash. I love books just as much as they do. They were a huge part of my life and still are. And ereaders are Awesome. Boomarks, light, a whole library that will fill two rooms in the palm of my hand. Easy to find any book. And the booklight of the lastest gen were the final bit of incredbileness.

I read about 4 times more having bought an ereader. Love, love, love em.

You are still reading a book. Did anyone somehow stop listening to music when cassets replaced records, and CDs replaced them. and MP3s replaced them? No.

Sorry for a bit off topic on what book we are reading. It just made me think of friends not using ereaders since I got Mockingjay and the other two on my Kindle. But I just cringe when my book loving friends wont even try ereaders. I was that way for a bit. And they were super expensive. But not as much now. Must have for book lovers I say. I'd say only get the Paperwhite if you go for Kindle though. The light is the best feature.

LOVE my Kindle! I started with the paperwhite, but upgraded to the Fire and love it.

Oh I love her blog and facebook posts. Can't wait to hear if her book is any good. I mean how can she make a whole book out of that topic. (Moms who drink and swear) I am currently reading a new Marian Keyes book on my kindle and saving 3 books from my favorite authors for my California Vacation in 3 weeks. I actually purchased the books, because I have trouble reading my kindle in the sun.

I find any kind of electronic equipment difficult to see in the sun, but the paperwhite was the worst. It's almost like the words on the "page" burnt into the screen so when you turned the page everything was unreadable.

I'm reading The Mill River Recluse (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051PRFLQ/ref=oh_d__o04_details_o04__i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It's a nice story although really predictable.

patns
07-12-2013, 02:58 AM
I love my ereaders too for all the reasons mentioned but also they save so many trees.
Books on them are far less expensive. About half the members of my book club won't use them saying they need the feel of the actual book in their hand which I don't get. Then when it's time to chose a new book for the club it's always an issue if someone picks something resent because new releases and often hard covered and expensive if you have to buy the actual book.

LucreziaBorgia
07-13-2013, 02:11 AM
Oh and ebooks are cheaper. And you can find ebooks easily, while you would have to search in different bookstores for a book you cannot find. I had to find this really old book for a project and people had stopped printing them. Found it as an ebook.

Terra1984
07-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Im reading Take It Like A Man by Boy George

FrouFrou
07-17-2013, 03:27 PM
I am not a fan of ebooks/nooks or any of those things...I want a book in hand. I am very saddened by the recent news of Barnes & Noble and I do hope they don't close! We've already lost all the other book stores here and there are NO music stores which is sad. I am all for technology but it is killing things! :(

Anyway, after finishing Freeman I went back to Blood Meridian (been working on it for quite a while, sort of. Haven't really been able to get into it) and also NYPD Red by James Patterson.

SuperHeroTeacher
07-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Sunday morning when I read online that JK Rowling wrote a new book under a pen name, I immediately downloaded it - "The Cuckoo's Calling" by Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling).

It's a great book so far. She is an amazing writer, but don't be mistaken, this is not Harry Potter, fantasy, or a children's book. It's a crime/mystery novel, and it's probably one of the best written I've read in the genre.

CanadianCutie
07-18-2013, 01:32 PM
I just finished NOS4A2 by Joe Hill. I really enjoyed it. Tonight I'm planning on starting Inferno by Dan Brown.

KYgirlinSC
07-20-2013, 09:30 PM
I just read the in death series by J D robb aka Nora Roberts. I am a fast reader but it was read at the end of June and just finished the most recent today!

I LOVE my kindle....but still like to hold a book in my hand...as a matter of fact...the in death series was all books!