Weight Loss Support - Anyone love exercise but hate the food part of weightloss??

GlamourGirl827
07-02-2013, 10:55 AM
I'm getting excited about starting my post baby weight loss (few more weeks), but I realized that most of my excitement is about running. I can't wait to get back to running, but I do have some serious weight to loss as well.
I'm not excited about the "weightloss" part relating to food. I have been pretty laxed with my calories as I get closer to having the baby, and I'm also getting relaxed about my food choices. I've done this with each baby, towards the end I kind of let myself eat as I please as kind of like a last hoorah before I have to lose the baby weight.

My whole life I've loved the exercise part!! And hated the calorie counting part. I'm just not happy on 1200, 1500, or even 1800 cals a day. And at my typical weight (like 160s) that's around what I should be eating. I've always been an over eater and I feel frustrated and unhappy if I just can't eat whatever, whenever and however much I want. If I ate to my hearts content I would be like 500 lbs.

In fact my biggest motivator to lose weight (eating controled) is that the lighter am the better I run! Without the want to exercise better, I doubt anything would convince me to not eat tons of food.

Anyone totally in love with exercise but just can not stand watching their eating??

I'm already ready dreading the intense calorie counting, the measuring out foods, carefully watching everything so I dont go over my calories...And I HAVE to do that, I can not eat by intuition! My internal food alarm (not eating too much) does not work!!! I cannot be trusted to eye ball anything!

Euphy
07-02-2013, 11:00 AM
No, I'm the other way around. I hate exercising, I hate sweating, I hate feeling hot.

freelancemomma
07-02-2013, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't use the word "love" to describe my feelings about exercise, but I do enjoy it to some extent and I've been rock-solid with it for the past 19 months.

I completely share your feelings about controlling portions and calories. If I had my druthers I'd be eating 5,000 calories every day. Although I do practice moderation and portion control, I haven't fully embraced the idea. I'm sure my attitude is making maintenance more difficult for me, but it would be dishonest for me to say that I feel physically better and more energetic on moderate portions.

Freelance

GlamourGirl827
07-02-2013, 11:41 AM
No, I'm the other way around. I hate exercising, I hate sweating, I hate feeling hot.

I'm not a swimmer, but maybe swimming might be away around this? I know I did not like the gym, because I don't like being indoors, I don't like being crammed close to other people...I started running (outdoors) and occassionally biking and I couldn't get enough. I need to be outside and well alone for the most part to love exercising lol.

GlamourGirl827
07-02-2013, 11:44 AM
If I had my druthers I'd be eating 5,000 calories every day....
...it would be dishonest for me to say that I feel physically better and more energetic on moderate portions.

Freelance

Me too, seriously I'm amazed at how much I have to eat to feel satisified. And I notice my energy level suffers at lower calorie amounts (like 1400- 1500)...I don't feel good unless I'm closer to about 2000 cals a day. Fine now, but not when I'm 170 lbs trying to get down to my goal...

gagalu
07-02-2013, 12:56 PM
i honestly bounce back and forth between loving and hating both aspects. right now i'm loving both, but frequently it's only the eating part that i hate. i feel ya.

Kayles
07-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Sometimes I'm really into my exercise and sometimes I get unmotivated and prefer to focus on food. I find food harder to control though

TripSwitch
07-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Actually, I can completely relate... Really strict calorie counting tends to burn me out after awhile and I just need a break from it... I still watch what I eat, but I try to be a bit more relaxed and not make myself so crazy with all the tracking of my calories and macro's, etc... But I also incorporate IF into my overall plan so that helps to keep things in check... I too love running and much prefer to focus on that than super strict control of every single calorie I'm eating, so that's what I'm doing now... I've decided to put my focus on getting ready for my next marathon... and I'm sure the rest of the weight that I would like to lose will come off eventually... And I know for me that collecting another "finishers" medal is going to give me a lot more longer lasting satisfaction than seeing my "dream" number on a scale again...

krampus
07-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Yeah, dieting stinks. The kicker is that deficit calories mean crappy lackluster workouts and no gains. It's literally impossible to gain strength while eating at a deficit.

sacha
07-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Yes absolutely. I can (and have) trained hours daily but I am a crazy you-know-what in a calorie deficit. I love eating. I love cooking. That's all tehre is to it. I am not an emotional eater, I am not a stress eater, I don't have lingering psychological issues, I just love a good bag of potato chips :(

ShaMac
07-02-2013, 05:18 PM
This is me all the way, love exercising, I do at least two gym classes a day. I absolutely hate counting, tracking, and controlling my portions. I'm a food lover and what's more, I love sweets and all thngs junk food! I'm sitting here now dreading the fact that I need to be good because I'm over my goal weight. I'm having so much trouble maintaining my weight, I'm in a serious yo yo session because, I eat too much most days since I made goal:nono:. If it were not for my love of exercise I don't know if I could have made it.

Missy Krissy
07-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Yes absolutely. I can (and have) trained hours daily but I am a crazy you-know-what in a calorie deficit. I love eating. I love cooking. That's all tehre is to it. I am not an emotional eater, I am not a stress eater, I don't have lingering psychological issues, I just love a good bag of potato chips :(

Me too! I find eating to be so pleasurable I would chose to eat over nearly any other activity. And yes, I'm aware that's not exactly "normal".

Running has really been growing on me, and I get cranky if it's raining and I can't get out for my run.

GlamourGirl827
07-02-2013, 06:21 PM

I always considered myself an emotional eater but over the years I've noticed and my husband has pointed out that I actually lose my appetite when I'm upset, mad, stress, anxious, frustrated etc. There have been some things that my DH and I have faced (very upsetting events) and he says he wants to eat because of it, where I am too annoyed/worried to eat. If I'm in a generally mellow mood, I do enjoy eating though! I guess I'm like you, I just like to eat!! :dizzy:

sacha
07-02-2013, 06:23 PM
I'm not an emotional eater but sometimes I want to eat and blame the emotions for it, iykwim?? Maybe you are the same :)

GlamourGirl827
07-02-2013, 06:24 PM
Me too! I find eating to be so pleasurable I would chose to eat over nearly any other activity. And yes, I'm aware that's not exactly "normal".

Running has really been growing on me, and I get cranky if it's raining and I can't get out for my run.

Yes, I see eating as a pleasurable activity too. So when I'm "restricting" eating to a certain number of calories/portions etc, I feel like one of my activities is gone. I get alittle...lost.

Now when I started running, I did very much enjoy that, but sometimes eating is way easier to do, with two soon to be three kids I can't just go running when I want, but I certainly can grab a snack pretty easily! lol I find eating a relaxing activity, and I agree, I know that totally not normal! :dizzy:

olehcat
07-02-2013, 06:33 PM
yep, right there with you. I love the exercise part, the running, the feeling "fit" and HATE restricting what I eat.

Missys Mom
07-02-2013, 06:59 PM
I hate exercising, I hate watching what I eat but I have had a weight problem ever since I was a little kid. I am currently on Weight Watchers and I despise it with a passion (I am being totally honest here). I am able to eat whatever I want but I have to put a point value to everything I stuff into my mouth. No going over 42 points a day unless absolutely necessary. I have an extra 49 points I am allowed to eat a week plus I can eat my exercise points if I am hungry. The previous six weeks I fell off the wagon big time due to three deaths over a six week period and one I had to keep from my mom as she was in europe on vacation and I didnt want to ruin it for her (her bf passed away). Now that I have dealt with all this grief and stuffing my face like no tomorrow I am doing my best to get back on track with exercising (I try to go to the gym 6-7 days a week) and keeping to my points values in regards to eating but I am completely miserable. I have also gone back to PGX Daily as well as a few other supplements to help with the weight loss but no noticeable results as of yet.

Streudel
07-02-2013, 07:08 PM
I'm with you on this. I absolutely loved running for a lot of reasons. One of the biggest was that guilt-free, post long run breakfast of whatever the heck I wanted. A 10 mile run will offset almost anything calorically.

I spent a year either racing or training ( almost always to excess ) for a race. During that time I pretty much didn't calorie count, which was awesome because after dieting for the last 28 years, I'm about sick of it.

I didn't gain or lose a pound. I was still 40 lbs overweight, so that wasn't exactly what I wanted, but hey, maintenance is good, right? It was great right up until I injured my foot. I haven't been able to run, or give up my undisciplined eating habits since then. I gained back 55 out of 70 lbs. lost. :mad::(

I still hate calorie counting, and I still have the urge to over-exercise, but I hate weighing 230 lbs WAY more.

GlamourGirl827
07-02-2013, 07:19 PM
I still hate calorie counting, ...., but I hate weighing 230 lbs WAY more.

This is a good point. After each baby I was will be) about 220 lbs which is higher than my usual overweight weight (about 160-170) I hate being over 200 lbs more than calorie counting, but as I get closer to goal the scale tips the other way (no pun instended) and while I want to lose more I'm not so incredibly unhappy, so I slip up more in the food area.

Streudel
07-02-2013, 07:30 PM
" but as I get closer to goal the scale tips the other way (no pun intended) and while I want to lose more I'm not so incredibly unhappy, so I slip up more in the food area."

There's this amnesia that seems to kick when the goal is in sight. I can't seem to accept that calorie counting is something I'm going to have to do for life. Maybe one day I'll get it...

anm17
07-02-2013, 10:06 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with exercising, but the food part is definitely the hardest! I have a food addiction issue and have been trying to find the right balance. Exercise has been my savior in this process, but I still need to figure out the food part of losing weight.

Terra1984
07-02-2013, 10:38 PM
I dont like either but I deal with both because I know I need to do both in order to lose weight

stimkovs
07-02-2013, 10:43 PM
having been in this process for many years- i can almost absolutely deduce that exercise is a part of staying FIT but food is a part of weight maintenance, unfortunately.

i have food issues, and i have always had food issues. when i am able to over-exert and over exercise, i lose weight. when i am unable to exercise, i gain weight because i have always over eaten. i am like many of you not satisfied on under 3000+ calories, and find it a chore.

unfortunately though, i think having fine tuned eating habits is what makes for successful maintenance.

sontaikle
07-03-2013, 03:06 AM
I neither hate it or love it, it's just something I do at this point,

I'm always planning ahead as part of my nature. I suppose it's just something us teachers always do after all.

carter
07-03-2013, 06:33 AM
I dont like either but I deal with both because I know I need to do both in order to lose weight

Yeah, this is how I feel too. Even though I have figured out ways to have tasty delicious food for myself, I still often bristle at the effort it takes to prepare it day after day after day. I miss eating mindlessly, and I terribly miss recreational eating, and limiting that requires a constant effort of pure will and discipline that is sometimes irritating and sometimes downright annoying.

As for exercise, that too is a pain in the neck, and while I don't always hate doing it I do often have to force myself to get started by sheer will. I resent how long it all takes - I resent how much more time in the day my friends have who don't spend time at the gym and order takeout whenever they feel like it. It is a consolation that those people tend to be less trim and fit than I am (though not always) and that is what I have to hold onto - I remember how I felt at 275 and I know how I feel now, and I just have to keep in mind that the better feeling is worth all the effort.

sontaikle
07-03-2013, 07:31 AM
" but as I get closer to goal the scale tips the other way (no pun intended) and while I want to lose more I'm not so incredibly unhappy, so I slip up more in the food area."

There's this amnesia that seems to kick when the goal is in sight. I can't seem to accept that calorie counting is something I'm going to have to do for life. Maybe one day I'll get it...

What really helps me is thinking of it as something I must do for my health. The way someone with high blood pressure must watch sodium, or someone with diabetes must watch sugar, I--a formerly obese person--must watch my caloric intake.

Munchy
07-03-2013, 08:30 AM
I neither hate it or love it, it's just something I do at this point,

I'm always planning ahead as part of my nature. I suppose it's just something us teachers always do after all.

Same here. I have been "on plan" with food for 20 years. It just IS. If I eat something that I don't consider to be the healthiest choice once in a while, it's all good because I just keep going and it evens out.

The hard part about exercise is that while food planning makes my life easy because it saves me time, exercise TAKES time. That's why I tend to fall off of my exercise regimen depending on how busy my life gets.

Terra1984
07-05-2013, 02:21 PM
the better feeling is worth all the effort ~ I totally agree

Lizzyg
07-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Yup, I feel the same way. I love running (most of the time, I'm hating it kind of right now) and I like biking and walking and doing whatever but I hate that I can't eat how much and what I want all the time.

GlamourGirl827
07-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Thank you all for your replies. I agree finding something important enough so that I am ok with (even if not happy about) restricting what I eat is the key. I wonder if 20 years from now I will still dread calorie counting everyday. I wonder if a time will come when I can stop calorie counting...

Arctic Mama
07-06-2013, 12:34 AM

Word. I gained weight because I over-ate for too many years, with a metabolism that is prone to obesity and blood sugar instability. The combination of my genetic predisposition to growing new fat cells, plus deep enjoyment of eating, was not a really waistline-friendly combo.

I am okay with maintenance calories, but I DETEST the levels I have to have to lose. I'm more comfortable a few hundred calories higher, so I'm just sucking it up for a few months and putting my head down in a forward charge to get there. I'm awesome at maintenance, but losing is a lot of work for me. Workouts are no big deal - it's just consistently making time for them when I'm so busy every day that I find challenging.

Arctic Mama
07-06-2013, 12:39 AM

Do you know what has helped me in this so much? Looking at obesity for what it really is - my default condition if I don't take steps to counteract it.

My obesity is in remission - I don't look obese or have any health problems associated with it. But it's still there and a potential relapse is a possibility for the rest of my life.

It's something I have to manage daily, because even though I am 100 pounds lighter the situations, personality traits, and bodily tendencies that made me a morbidly obese teenager are all real factors in my life. It's a disease I have, and one that I must manage. No stress, no fighting, just a fact.

In order to live a healthy life and be the best wife and mommy I can be, I must not throw up my hands and let that condition go untreated.

Tony did an awesome post on this, I highly recommend it:
http://theantijared.com/2013/06/i-have-obesity.html

Lizzyg
07-06-2013, 08:18 AM
Do you know what has helped me in this so much? Looking at obesity for what it really is - my default condition if I don't take steps to counteract it.

My obesity is in remission - I don't look obese or have any health problems associated with it. But it's still there and a potential relapse is a possibility for the rest of my life.

It's something I have to manage daily, because even though I am 100 pounds lighter the situations, personality traits, and bodily tendencies that made me a morbidly obese teenager are all real factors in my life. It's a disease I have, and one that I must manage. No stress, no fighting, just a fact.

In order to live a healthy life and be the best wife and mommy I can be, I must not throw up my hands and let that condition go untreated.

Tony did an awesome post on this, I highly recommend it:
http://theantijared.com/2013/06/i-have-obesity.html

I like the way you phrased this. And maybe if I can look at it that way too - it will help me stay on track and not fall back into old habits.

Thank you for posting this!

JollyGreenSteen19
07-06-2013, 10:01 AM
I definitely alternate back and forth. Some days I would rather exercise for an hour or two than run and other days I'd rather sit on the couch and eat like a rabbit all day.

Right now I'm trying to enjoy a balance of both - I will say, I'm enjoying the successes of completing my running program.