South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #1  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Default Anyone new or restarting? It's July 1!

I've noticed a few people saying hello in the past couple of days. It often happens that people say Hi! I'm new, or restarting, and are warmly welcomed, but then don't post, or post for a day or two and drift away. Here is a thread for you to ask questions, or just talk about any problems -- and share successes! -- you're having.
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 241/232/165

Height: 5.7

Hi Xan!

How serendipitous..was just going to lurk around, wallow in my shame a bit and then I saw your post. As if you were reading my mind! I, too am a serial rejoiner (love that). Been slogging through TTC hades, and fell off the wagon.
I have been off the fertility hormones for two cycles now and am slowly feeling like myself again and so I really want to get back on track and be healthy and in tune with myself.
In all the insanity in TTC, I completely lost sight of me. The painful experiences were too hard to bear but I felt I had to move forward, no time to grieve etc (doctors pressuring me as I am 40 already.."Every month counts!") and I turned to food. Only sporadic exercise. I just shut down and stuffed my face.
And these are my Achilles' heels: stress, pain, denial, sickness
I love the South Beach way of life, the food is delicious and I always feel amazing when I stay OP...however! as soon as life hits the proverbial fan, it seems way too strenuous to maintain healthy habits...the prep, the grocery shopping etc just feels like a millstone around my neck.
Long story short: back on the beach, semester is over so hoping to find the spark, that motivation for the cleansing P1 and looking forward to hanging out with all you inspiring chicas.
jandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #3  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

I'm trying to get back on track after a looong bout with a stomach bug. I haven't gone totally off plan and still showed a modest loss for the week, but I need to buckle down again, especially with exercise, now that I'm feeling slightly better. I'm still having trouble eating some of my go-to on plan foods, like my usual huge salads for lunch. The veggies just aren't apetizing at all. I'm sitting here trying to figure out what I want for supper, and the only thing that sounds good is a PB&J sandwich. Maybe I'll make one of the smoothies I usually have for breakfast instead.
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #4  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I restarted 2 days ago!

This is my 7th go at SBD. I left a few months ago after being diagnosed with sarcoidois and the doctors wanting me to try all types of diets.

They don't work. Especially mixed with prednisone.

So I am back and feeling better than every. Ok, that part is a lie. I feel like crapola. But being back on plan while on TOM and dealing with this all makes me feel strong!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 241/232/165

Height: 5.7

Hey Jenne, I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis in 1998, after heavy duty corticosteroid treatment over a year I was "cured" (basically the docs have no idea why it left, or why it hasn't resurfaced-it did leave my spleen non-functional & I had to work on rebuilding lung functionality) so I know how tough it is, especially with the typical weight gain!

I hope you are as lucky as I was & it'll phase out.
jandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #6  
Xan
serial rejoiner

Hello Jenne, Jandaman, Hello Nurse -- everyone getting through the Fourth in one piece?

Jenne, you've had a rough go. I hope you're still feeling strong!

For me, as always, it's not a question of learning, but of doing. And of posting. I thought I would have a carefree summer, but I'm working on a big project unexpectedly. I will be on plan (I hope and plan) but not posting as much as I'd like.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 263/214/157

Height: 5'2"

Cool I'm back again.

I was lurking around and saw this thread. I decided to post. A LOT has happened since I last posted here. I have changed jobs, my significant other was diagnosed with and is being treated for advanced cancer and my daughter is beginning a high risk pregnancy. I have been trying other diet plans but I always come back to the Beach. I have lost some weight since I was last here. I am battling stress and dealing with time management issues.
Ohio Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Restarting today. Hoping it sticks this time!
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #9  
Xan
serial rejoiner

Terrific! Welcome, Cindy and penmage. Cindy, you've had a rough time indeed. I hope you will feel so much better on South Beach that it will help you stick with it. Penmage, welcome, good luck, and please post often.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #10  

I am new to the board BUT not SB diet. I lost 30 lbs the beginning of this year then I started working again. It kicked my butt, I went back at the busiest time of the year. I went from not working to work 6 days a week and about 60 hours. Let me say I didn't win any awards for what the kids and I were eating. There was no planning on my part and most days I didn't eat but breakfast and supper. Heck if I had just got me a protein shake to do for lunch it would have been better than nothing. I am starting back today and I will be up front and let you know I am going to use a shake once a day.

I need someone to be responsible too and it is not my husband. He will eat what I give him at the house and then go to mcdonalds EVERYday for lunch....

I am going to look around the board some more and see what all I can find.

Thanks!!
b3mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Today is day 3 of my re-start, and I'm hanging in there! I'm not usually a sweets person, but I'd eat the crap out of a bag of Skittles right now. I settled for a SF jello
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 145 / 145 / 132

Height: 5'6"

Hello - I originally went on the South Beach diet back in 2007. I lost 50 lbs!! Yiippee!!! But over the last year I have gained approximately 20lbs of it back :-( So I am revisiting "the Beach" with hopes of losing the weight again.

I was wondering if anyone knows if an iced coffee (just black with cream only), from McDonald's, is OK for phase 1??

Thanks bunches!!!!!
lucky001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Welcome new/returning hicks. Yes, McD's iced coffee is fine. me personally, does not count my "dairy" when it comes to coffee. Coffee is my vice so I don't mess with it ever
jekel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandaman View Post
Hey Jenne, I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis in 1998, after heavy duty corticosteroid treatment over a year I was "cured" (basically the docs have no idea why it left, or why it hasn't resurfaced-it did leave my spleen non-functional & I had to work on rebuilding lung functionality) so I know how tough it is, especially with the typical weight gain!

I hope you are as lucky as I was & it'll phase out.
Sorry about the delay - I went away for the holiday! Sarcoid is never cured but you can have "flares" - which is when symptoms come back. Apparently, I am in a flare. I've just been stepped down from 60mg of prednisone (after 5 weeks) to 50mg. I've got it in my eyes and lungs. Not too badly in the lungs though so hopefully things will return to normal once they get the eyes under control!

Sorry to hear about your spleen though. Here's to hoping you don't have a re-flare!
Old 07-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #15  

PS - I've noticed how just plain LAZY I am. It's so much easier to NOT cook and do dishes! But, I've been back on plan since Monday. Still doing some late night snacking though but on-plan at least. It's the meds.

Anyway, here's to not being lazy!