Faith Based Support Groups - Christian Encouragers-July thread

View Full Version : Christian Encouragers-July thread

ronni62
07-01-2013, 10:03 AM
--------------------------------------

Welcome Friends
--------------------------------------

You've found a great place to come and vent, share or ask for prayer support. This is a great group who will be very encouraging, caring and loving.......anyone is welcome to join!

A Servant's Prayer --

Jesus, My Jesus....How marvelous are your ways....
Far more splendid than my mind can envision.
What an honor to be chosen by you.
A lowly child I am, but empowered by the Holy Spirit
to fulfill the great hope to which you have called me.
I give myself totally to you, Lord.
Take my imperfect heart and make it perfect.
Peel away the hardness.
Close the doors I have opened to the temptations of this world.
Gently remove the roots of painful memories, sins, doubts and fears.
Discard anything that separates me from you.
Lord, fill the emptiness with the light of your love that I might be a
beacon calling the lost back to you.

To love as you love.....
To serve as you serve.....
To forgive as you forgive.....
Always mindful of my nothingness while doing great
and marvelous things in your name and for your glory.
This I pray, Jesus, in YOUR name ...
Amen.

ronni62
07-01-2013, 10:06 AM
OOPS! Forgot it was a new month, so I started the new thread and posted this here too! Welcome to July!!

Hi, everyone! And, :carrot: I finally found my way off my plateau!!! Lost 4 pounds last week doing the Fast Diet. On 2 nonconsecutive days each week (I chose Monday and Thursday), you (women) eat only 500 calories and make sure they're good calories, like protein and fiber to keep you full. The other days, the diet says you can eat anything you want, but I try to stay reasonable, with fruits, veggies, and good proteins and fats. I found that, on the 'normal' days, I was eating less, too, and being very mindful of what was going in my mouth. Feeling very good, too! The only thing I did notice was a headache by evening on the 'fasting' days, so I'm being more mindful of how many carbs I eat on the normal days to avoid sugar crash. The most amazing thing I've noticed is that my digestive system seems to be improving over the last couple weeks-I haven't taken any MOM in over 2 weeks! Of course, that could be that my latest MS exacerbation is waning, f.i.n.a.l.l.y.!

Wish I had more time here to talk, but must go take Mom to the psychiatrist. She's already wanting her meds changed, so here we go again She's listing her trailer to move to AZ if it sells. Part of me is glad that my sister will have to deal with some of this for awhile and I'll get a break, but, then, I know sis doesn't need any more on her plate either.

Well, take care and have a blessed day, friends!

gamechanger
07-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Hey Ronni, Congratulations on the jump off the plateau. That's awesome and so are you. May God continually bless you and your mom. I pray your strength in the Lord, and the prayer you posted is beautiful and powerful. I gain so much strength from coming here to 3FC. I asked the Lord for help, and He guided me here. I thank Him for his lovingkindness.

bargoo
07-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Happy Canada Day to our wonderful Canadian friends !!!!

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-01-2013, 05:45 PM
BARGOO -- THANKS, and HAPPY CANADA DAY to all our other Canadian friends out there too.

RONNI -- THANKS SO MUCH for starting the new July Thread; I have been very busy the last few days. I have been packing for our trip back home. We are so excited to be able to go back to our house again. As much as I have loved visiting and recuping here, we really miss our own place. My aunt says the grass is high enuff to "bale" now; oh dear, that won't make the neighbours very happy, but then none of them offered to help us out either. ;)

My chemo symptoms are starting into week #3 so the muscle/skin numbness and stingies have started already. It makes it uncomfortable to walk but I am grateful the earlier symptoms were milder this round too. My hair is growing back in already and you can see the outline of it (it's growing in darker too). I never did lose all of it, so I am glad that I didn't shave it off. My BIL was praying his head off that all my hair would not fall out; and that prayer was sure answered.

I have been trying real hard to eat better, but I think that I will have to cut back even further than I thought. I am not going to weigh myself for awhile as that was sooo very discouraging to see a weight-gain after each round. I hope it doesn't take long for the steroids to get out of my system. The DA says it can take up to 6 months ... eeks!

We plan to leave early Wednesday morning, so please pray for a safe trip for us; it is a very long one. My brother is going with us; and he's always fun company on road trips ... :D

MELISSA ~ thanks for your very optimistic post at the end of the June Thread; loved it! Just what we need to hear when life is battering us around a bit. We have had beautiful weather here on the lake; so lovely to sit out there on the porch, and enjoy GOD's natural beauty -- and yes, we have lots of great food to eat, and piles of nice clothes to wear. We have many blessings that we must look at instead of all that other stuff. :)

Time to get the BBQ ready; PRAIZE GOD for His many blessings! ^PRAYERS^ continue for you and yours ... :hug:

ronni62
07-02-2013, 08:16 AM
Hi!

Gamechanger-thanks for the encouraging words! I love that prayer too-it's been the starter for the Encouragers' thread since long before I was here!

Rosebud-I'll be praying for your trip home and for settling back in. Plus, prayers for the chemo effects to wear off quickly and get you back to your normal self. And the requests mentioned in the Prayer Warriors thread. Hope you had a very nice Canada Day!

Bargoo-You're always in my prayers!

Hello to all our mia's also! Prayers for each one of you!

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-02-2013, 06:42 PM
THANKS RONNI -- congrats on breaking through that plateau. I have made up a new eating plan for when I get back home; similar to the one I was on before. I don't want to lose weight too fast; and will be using my hand weights again (my arms sure need them). ;) I hope to get my rowing machine back upstairs if I can find room for it. Plus, I can start walking around the block again; the sidewalks at home are very handy. We would like to see how much the aqua-fitness or swimming program is too -- if it is affordable, we will try that out as well.

I had a lot of work to do today: finishing the packing and loading the car. Got DH to help carry and load so that part went pretty fast. We had free4all for dinner tonight -- I had leftover salad and a roast beef sandwich (not too bad). DH had his BBQ'd Superdogs, and the others had BBQ'd bangers (sausages).

You know, I was thinking so much about what MELISSA said and I really believe that is what GOD wants us to do -- no matter what circumstances we find ourselves going through, I think He wants us to keep our eyes on JESUS. Don't look at what is happening around you; just keep going forward. Winston Churchill said during the war -- "WHEN YOU FIND YOURSELF GOING THROUGH ****; JUST KEEP GOING!"

That is so important; and GOD showed me that recently. No matter how much crap is around me, just focus on Him. I read something in a book that was similar to that last night and then I read something in a file too. That's three times in a couple of days; to me, that's not a coincidence but GOD giving me a message. Don't look at your circumstances; ignore the threats; ignore the lies (of uknowwho); and just pray.

When your life is full of crap, He can still turn it around for good. Trust Him and just continue walking through life. Do what you have to do; follow the process; do your job; take care of business -- whatever. Then, watch GOD sort it all out. There is GLORY even in the midst of the crappiest crap. LOL!

We have lovely :sunny: beaming down upon us through my bedroom window where I have my PC, and I can hear the birdies chirping away too. So much beauty here to enjoy; it's a choice -- we choose what to focus our attention on. This is the time to keep our eyes on the keeper of the prize. :cool:

pattygirl63
07-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Sorry I have been MIA for a while. Hopefully things are going to settle down around here for a while so I can be here more often. DH is finished with therapy although he is supposed to continue doing it at home. I learned a lot and will be doing them too to hopefully strengthen my neck and back. Saw the surgeon who did his neck last week and he told DH that he has choices... 1. hire someone to do the lawn, 2. if he insists in doing it himself, he needs to do it over 2 or 3 days or 3. continue doing it all in one day like he does and be aware that he will be in pain for 2 or 3 days unable to do anything. Therapist says he is an A personality and won't change. However, I took the bull by the horn and I had one of the sons of one the beauticians where I get my hair done come out to give us an estimate of what he will charge to either do it or to do some of it. I really think it is good for DH to do some of it because it keeps him busy, but he needs help and DGS isn't much help. The guy came out but hasn't called back to say what he will charge. If it is too much for us to pay, I hope we can negotiate with him and have him just come ever so often to trim trees, bushes etc that DH doesn't need to be doing any more. DH doesn't have any doc appts this month except to get blood draw for his blood thinner. I think he is feeling better because he is almost like he was when we married which is so nice. Thanks for y'alls prays concerning his health.

Also, I would like to share something else you might add to your prayers. His daughter sent me the roses for Mother's day. She never did anything for her Daddy. She finally texted me on Monday after and said "Please Happy Father's day to my best Dad in the whole world. His card is late because I don't have a stamp. I'll call tonight." That's it no card ever sent and no call. I have to tell you that really makes me mad and some how, I want to find a way to tell her without causing trouble NOT TO EVER DO ANYTHING FOR ME if she isn't going to do for her Daddy. He already feels like they only use him. DGS thinks nothing of asking for something he needs and doesn't do a lot to help around here and acts like his DGD is asking too much when DH asks him to do something for him. He had to live here this summer to go to college to save his scholarship. When I told him he needed to be sure and take care of the scholarship, he says well if I lose I can go to the Technical college here. I finally told him last night that he better take care of the scholarship because we cannot support him while he goes to technical school. If he plays around and loses his scholarship, he needs to go home to FL and live with his Mom. It is all I can do to pay bills and feed him and he puts nothing in to help. I need to find a way to take care of this without it becoming a stress thing for DH and me. Thanks for listening guys I appreciate it.

Rosebud I am so thrilled with your progress and your hair growing back. :carrot: I told you I had seen it happen and I was praying with your BIL for it to grow back. PRAISE THE LORD He answered all our prayers for that situation!!! And I believe He is working behind the scene on the other situation that Satan has hit you with. Our Pastor said one day "Satan knows that he can't stop you from being saved and going to heaven. So he works to try to distract you from your focus on God so you will doubt the Lord and he wants to destroy your witness to others". Satan has come against you from every side, but you continue to stand and be a witness of God's Goodness. What a testimony and inspiration you are to others. I believe God something really great in store for you. While it is true God does not causes these things to happen, I believe He does use the things Satan throws at us to develop our faith as well as our character so that we mature spiritually and become more like Christ. I think of Job and the victory Job had when he came THROUGH all Satan threw at him. I like what you quoted that Churchill said. Reminds me of what Joyce Meyer always says "When you find yourself going through something, just keep going through to the other side". I can't wait to see how God is going to bring you through this and what BLESSING He has for you on the other side. :hug:

Gamechanger Not sure I welcomed you so I will officially say :welcome2: fellow TX girl. :) I notice you live in or around Houston, TX. I live in SC, but am TX born and raised in Waco. Left 10 1/2 yrs ago when I married DH. Never thought I would ever leave. Took me out of TX, but never will take TX out of me. hehe Lived in League City for about 8 yrs then moved back to Central part and lived there until DH #2 passed away and I married present DH.

Ronni Hope things go well with your Mom moving to be with your Sis. Is it going to be a shared responsibility with your Mom staying there some and coming to be with you some or will it be a permanent thing when she moves. Whichever, I pray your Mom will continue with the meds. Prayers continue for you.

Bargoo Hope everything is good with you.

Everyone else lurking etc :wave:

Well, I missed the Canadian Day for our precious Canadian family here. Hope y'all had a great day.

HAPPY 4th to all of us here in America.

I love my Christian family and I too love being able to be included with those of you here at 3fc and hate it when I can't get here. If pc keeps working right and things settling down a little, hopefully that will be different now.

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-04-2013, 11:06 PM
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY -- to all our American friends here. Hope you all had a great day celebrating your country and your freedoms there ... :D

TRISH -- THANKS for your encouraging words of support; yes, I feel a bit battered but am also waiting to see what great blessing GOD will bring out of this situation for us.

Had a busy day; did some yard work. They did get the grass cut for us; GOD bless that fella who did it. It was very hot and he worked so hard; sweating buckets for almost 5 hours. It was so nice to drive up and see the grass was cut for us. They left some for DH to rake up; he did some but didn't last long, so tomorrow AM, I'll help him gather some to use as mulch around my berry bushes. It was a hot one today too, but we had a lovely breeze out on our front porch.

Have to take it easy a bit, as my muscles were hurting a lot. Will try to watch it for the rest of the 3rd week. THANKS FOR YOUR PRAYERS FOR my family and I. :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-08-2013, 10:10 PM
:wave: HI EVERYONE ~ fighting hard to get through the side effects of the last round of chemo; have really been "PUSHING THRU THE PAIN" as I like to say. We did some more raking and mulching this AM; then after dinner, I had a second wind and did some more raking. There are about 5 piles of hay -- I mean grass, for DH to help me spread around tomorrow AM ... :lol: I know he'll love that, but we have to keep him busy too as "idle hands are the :devil:'s playground ... ;)

I actually felt better the second time round; think that may be the adrenaline kicking in to help my musculs feel better. Think I'll go to bed earlier: do some extra prayers and maybe some reading. My eating went better today; that's another area that I have been battling since coming home.

As I said in the prayer thread, I have been sorting the summer vs winter clothing and packing the winter stuff, tossing what we don't need or use; some may go to good will, if I can get them there. Have also been cleaning as I go along as well; the house needs a good one over after not being done for so long. I was pleasantly surprised that there wasn't very much dust though. :D

We had some :rain: on Sunday, so I did some baking; made a pumpkin custard for me (DH had pumpkin pie and meat pie), and some banana-oatmeal muffins for the week as well. A cool day is perfect for catching up on the baking and on the weekend, the hydro is less too (that's a double bonus really).

So you know what I'll be doing all week. Hope you all are having a good one out there too. Remember to PRAIZE GOD NO MATTER WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH -- I spent last night and daytime listening to Christian music. That never fails to lift my spirits. Have a great week everyone ... :)

pattygirl63
07-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Rosebud Praise is the key. I know the importance of praise, but I'm learning it 1st hand now. I appreciate everyone's prayers as I am beginning to feel better already. I really think my problem is that I usually get to go home every other year, but haven't been home in 3 yrs. Probably just feeling homesick. This too will pass as they say. Well, these are the times that causes us to develop spiritual character.

Sounds like you are settling into a routine now that you are home and I pray things just get better and better.

Bargoo I pray you good news on the eye situation and it will just mean you need glasses.

Everyone else :wave:

Bootsie
07-10-2013, 12:08 AM
Girls I tried to get on here two days before my husband went into emergency and it said it had been hit with a virus. I been at the hospital with hubbie and running the business , ranch, house etc.. Staying up tonight to clean up for contractors so I can get airconditioning in. I have to get busy but wated to tell you I just got a message email from Facebook that told me I had some messages , and they never showed them to me before and one was from Gary in January , that was trying to friend me, oh how I wish I had got that message! There was 10 messages I never got from different people! Just don't understand that!

pattygirl63
07-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Bootsie I had problems getting on here for a while too. Sorry to hear about your DH and will be praying for him to get well and for you as you are under the stress.

Getting out of the house this eve with a friend. Sunday was my beauticians birthday and we are going out to eat at Cracker Barrel to celebrate. I'm really looking forward to it. She has had a lot of problems and needs to get out and so do I although things are getting better with me. Just got to keep my focus on the Lord regardless of what else is going on.

Hope everyone is doing good today.

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-10-2013, 09:00 PM
:wave: HI EVERYONE -- I've been getting lots done around here this week. Today, I did the washroom and washed the floors as well; plus, a bit of this and that in the afternoon.

TRISH -- I had a good chat for a couple of hours with a couple of friends today too; just catching up and such. It's so nice to have even just one friend who I can talk to that won't judge me or what I say or my life. With so many issues going on in my life, that means so much to me. A really good friend is a great listener and knows how to say ... uh, huh ... uh, huh ... uh, huh! Hope you and yours have a wonderful time together. :)

BOOTSIE -- sending up prayers for your DH and for you since you have so much on your plate right now too. Sorry to hear you missed those messages on Facebook, esp from GARY, but don't worry -- he knows what happened by now, I'm sure. Sure miss that guy around here. Every now and then I still think of him (esp when I see his name or one of his posts), and send up a "HEY; and don't forget us down here, friend." They say that when we get to heaven that we will know and understand everything; and that theory is actually based on scripture too. So whenever I think of GARY, I send up a prayer for ANGIE and the family as well.

BARGOO -- sending up prayers for your eyes and you; hope they get to the bottom of the problem quickly .... :hug:

RONNI -- not sure your sister knows what she is in for if your mother moves closer to her. While it will give you a reprieve, she may have her hands full. Praying everything goes well in this situation.

We've had a lot of :rain: lately but our grass sure needed it becuz it was yellow underneath the hay part that was whizzed off with a weed-whacker. We are starting to see some green coming up now and the rain really helped that I'm sure. It's also a nice break from the hot and humid days that we have had in between. I'd much rather have the cooler, rainy days, as you can always put on a sweater or jacket or another blanket.

Have a great week everyone ... :flow2:

Bootsie
07-12-2013, 12:35 AM
Your right Rosebud so right. We are dry also but I got a feeling it is really fixing to rain for the ants and insects are running like crazy and that means rain close in the future. Our river is lower than a creek could call it a stream.
Rosebud I don't judge you....I think your awesome, always have!
Bargo and Ronni praying for both of you and your sister, Ronni.

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-13-2013, 10:30 PM
BOOTSIE ~ oh, I didn't mean to imply that anyone here or anyone specific as judging me ... although, I have had a couple of people questioning me concerning DH's care. I have worked with Alzheimer's patients before, so I do know all the symptoms (well, most of them; no-one knows everything except my brother and this other person I know ... ;)); and I do take care to make sure he is safe in many respects. That is a difficult thing when you are also trying to let him still have some kind of freedoms too.

Plus, he is still quite well aware of that at this point, and doesn't like people treating him like a baby that needs to be coddled -- and he vocalizes that quite often. Of course, I am the one who get the brunt of it whenever they make suggestions about this and that. They won't bring this stuff up to him: that dirty task is left to me; and the fall-out from it is too.

Since he has been home, he has had no problem finding his way back home. I suggested that he start with short walks around the block which he is doing every day. I walked to the lake today which is about 6 short blocks but enuff for me at this point as I'm still a bit sore from the last chemo round; and I sat on a bench for awhile just enjoying the view like I used to many years ago when I lived in town before.

I cleaned out our dressers today; sorting and such. While we were down south, I was able to get us both some new clothes at really good prices so we can toss some of the old ones out now. Sometimes I have a hard time deciding what stuff to keep and what to get rid of -- some things are obvious, but others notsomuch ... :dizzy:

The day started off cool but got hotter as the day went on; thank goodness, it cooled off in the evening so I sat on our front porch reading a novel this evening. The front porch is long so a nice breeze passes through it, and the bushes and ivy give lots of shade as well. It is just more pleasing to look at as well.

BTW, I finally met my new neighbour to the left of us; she's a 81 years young, very with it, and friendly (inviting me to come over anytime). That is so nice; sounds like a GODsend to me. Hope everyone out there is having a wonderful weekend -- ^prayers^ ascending for you all ... :flow2:

gorillamama
07-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Hello to the Christian Encouragers group,
I just joined this group today and was feeling a little overwhelmed by the quite extensive options available for posting, reading, etc. It seemed as I was about to just close my browser and forget the whole thing, the Lord led me down one more rabbit trail and I found this thread...Praise Him!
I am hoping to make a few friends to help support me on a potentially very long and life-changing journey of losing 101 pounds and keeping it off for good! I look forward to talking more with many of you in the future.
gorillamama

bargoo
07-14-2013, 08:42 AM
gorillamama. welcome and good luck with the weight loss.

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-14-2013, 10:13 PM
:welcome: GORILLAMAMA -- glad you found us over here. We hope that we will be able to encourage and support you in your WL journey. I am trying to get 30 lbs back off from my chemo days. Ate too well but the docs wanted me to wait until I was finished, so I have been going for a walk each day even when I hurt: pushin' through the pain anyways ... :)

pattygirl63
07-15-2013, 08:07 PM
GORILLAMAMA :welcome2: Glad you found us.

Rosebud wrote... Plus, he is still quite well aware of that at this point, and doesn't like people treating him like a baby that needs to be coddled -- and he vocalizes that quite often. Of course, I am the one who get the brunt of it whenever they make suggestions about this and that. They won't bring this stuff up to him: that dirty task is left to me; and the fall-out from it is too.

I think that is because it is difficult for men to deal with. I remember when DH#2 came home after he had been diagnosed with congestive heart failure. My aunt lived with us and she would "watch" him. It would get so irritated about it because he said it was "like she is watching for me to die". Of course, she was just checking on him and was worried about him, but he never could see it that way.

It is so difficult to watch them go through the mental emotions. I'm praying for you and your DH.

Bootsie My sister said they were excited about finally getting rain yesterday and today. She said she went out and stood in it. I hope you got some of that rain as well. Also pray your DH is doing better.

Bargoo You are on my heart and my prayers are with you.

ronni62
07-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Hi and Welcome to Gorillamama! Glad you found us:)

I've been so busy this last week or so-had to get the house ready for our 4 grandkids to come, so I was cleaning and storing, then, it was a very busy few days while they were here. Our boys who are still at home are 21 & 16, and the grandkids are boy 15, girls 14, 7, & 5, so it was a very noisy, busy household! We even took them to the amusement park in Des Moines on Monday-whew! We were ALLLLLL worn out after that! And, grandma here learned that I can still NOT ride that teacup ride! It was a hot day, but yesterday was even hotter here-temp in the mid-90's and heat index over 100! We took the kids home yesterday, had supper at McD's with their mom and visited a bit, then came home and collapsed in front of the tv! It's an hour and half drive one way to their home, so I was worn out.

Now, today, must go to town to replenish some supplies and talk to counselor. If you all get a chance, please send up prayers for a couple requests. DS2 is trying to find a room to rent off campus for his senior year and it's getting down to the wire here-he really needs to find one he can afford quickly.

The other request is for DS1 and his wife (and the grandkids, as well). DS1 just can't seem to keep himself out of trouble. He got caught driving while suspended and may be facing jail time plus a huge fine. He has trouble staying with a job and for some reason, his wife won't even try to get a job. She says she can't handle being out with the public, like working at Walmart, so she won't even try to apply for anything else or get assistance to go to school (we're not sure whether she ever graduated high school). There are a lot of issues with both of them and they really need to grow up NOW as they're 32 & 33 years old with the 4 kids relying on them. Our poor 14 year old granddaughter seems to have to do most of the 'parenting' to the 5 & 7 year olds and we've noticed it's been going on for a long time. They need Jesus very desperately, but no matter what we try to say, they aren't hearing. The grandkids are open, though, so we try to share as much as we can in the short times we get to see them. I use my facebook to share as much as I can with the 2 older ones;)

Thanks so much for the prayers.

Hope everyone has a great day! You're all in my prayers every day!

pattygirl63
07-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Ronni Will be praying for you, your sons, and family.

bargoo
07-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Went to radiation today, while waiting my turn I picked up some patient journals and read a few pages. How inspiring ! Many praises and scriptures .Remember these are written by women facing tough times. It did my heart good. Praise the Lord !!

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-19-2013, 10:54 PM
RONNI -- it was terribly hot & humid here for almost a week too; thankfully, that has cooled off with lots of :rain: the last two days. Sending up prayers for your family's needs ... :hug:

TRISH -- thanks for your prayers and thoughts; yes, I agree with the fact that all the talk about his illness probably bothers him more than living through it at times. I try not to say the word but use codes like ALZ and keep the conversations away from him. He got very upset in the drug store this week when we were going to buy him an id bracelet; didn't like that idea at all and refused to wear it ... :nono: It has been ordered but I have a sneaky suspicion that it will never be worn.

BOOTSIE -- hope you all got the expected :rain: down there in Texas. :D

pattygirl63
07-20-2013, 03:53 PM
Went to radiation today, while waiting my turn I picked up some patient journals and read a few pages. How inspiring ! Many praises and scriptures .Remember these are written by women facing tough times. It did my heart good. Praise the Lord !!

Sounds like the Lord was speaking to you through those scriptures. I love how the Lord plants something or someone right where I needed, when I needed. To me it is like He is putting His personal touch on the situation. God is sooo good.:hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-20-2013, 10:43 PM
BARG00 -- I agree with TRISH about the journals and stories from other patients with scriptures in them. GOD uses others all the time to encourage us just when we need it. I find this in daily devotionals; songs and hymns; books & bible scriptures; on our local Christian radio station; on here or other sites with Christian partners, warriors, and friends; and when just talking with caring friends & loved ones!

Just wanted to share that 3 of our neighbours have offered us support at this time; and that is very appreciated. They weren't sure how to handle or talk to DH during his hallucinations episodes, and explained that today. I think they were a bit scared really. DH is in the hospital and they are finally trying some anti-psychotic drugs for the hallucinations. He was a bit groggy in the am but was talking much better for the rest of the day. He was making sense and was able to keep a conversation with us for a change. I hope he will improve even more as they get the exact right dose for him. We were amazed at the difference in just one day; and we hope that continues.

Sadly, we had one young nurse being very rude to us tonight becuz DH got out of his room once. They had him locked in a geri-chair (claiming it was for "possible" infectious reasons although my SIL and I would have already contracted anything he had by now and visa-versa, since we live in the same house). :dizzy:

Anyhow, she said I had my gown on wrong and threatened that if I didn't put it on right she wouldn't allow us to see DH anymore ... I thought, "whoa girl, take it easy!". I told her that I had lots of experience putting on gowns that fit properly, and had worked with many geriatric patients in nursing homes & group homes, so know very well that geri-chairs are used for patients they don't want to have to watch all the time (another nurse had already fessed up to that earlier in the day). Plus that as soon as DH is well enuff we will be taking him home so we don't have to listen to that kind of crap again. She muttered something and left.

Well, one of my doctors told me that I needed to stand up for myself more, so I did. I hate it that DH hadn't been allowed to go to the bathroom since morning and his legs were cramping from being in that chair so long. So I told her to make sure he was allowed to get up at least every 2 hours max to go to the bathroom and stretch his legs. There is no reason that couldn't be arranged: we did it for them most of the day and I suspect that will be the same for the rest of his time there.

We spent our time there talking to DH; telling him jokes and stories; and I even danced with him for a bit, which is one of his favorite activities. He was in a great mood when we left so that makes me more optimistic for down the road. :)

ronni62
07-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Rosebud-I have also found many of the nurses/staff in psych wards are rude and obnoxious. I know that they have to deal with a lot of problem patients, including drunks and drug addicts (at least, here at our local hospital), but that's no reason to lock one patient down and neglect basic attention. In my mom's case, we have had problems getting her regular medical treatment in an emergency. When she had to be taken to the ER due to confusion and weakness, they immediately placed her back in the psych ward, even though her blood tests showed extremely low blood sugar. When we found that out, I went to the psych ward and had her released. She has been much more diligent about eating every couple hours since then (except when she was in the midst of the unmedicated delusion episode the last few months). So many in health care are very, very uneducated about mental illness and how to handle psychiatric patients, including Alzheimer's patients. Sad situation, especially considering how much we pay for health care and how much is charged by colleges for medical school and nursing school. Praying for you.

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-25-2013, 05:43 PM
RONNIE ~ thanks goodness, there was just that one incident; she avoided us after that and we didn't seek her out either. He had two great male personal care nurses the rest of the time and that was good. He is finally home, and so far so good -- the new meds are making a difference. He slept through the night as far as I can tell. It's hard for me to know exactly what time he gets up unless I sit up all night to watch. He can't remember the time or how to read the clock to tell what time he got up.

Think I'll check earlier tomorrow am to see if he is still in bed or not. Some times he is and others, he is already up. If he gets up in the middle of the night, I encourage him to go back to bed. We'll have to wait and see how things go with these new meds. He certainly is more alert since he has been on them. His memory is the same but he was chattering like a bird this am; and that's a good thing.

So I went to the lawyers today to do my WILL & POA; and there were a few things that surprised me, so I have a couple of things that I need to think about. It is a tad more complicated when you have no children, and a spouse with DH's condition. He said that he has seen many incidents where a spouse (like my DH) has refused to go to get a WILL & POA done.

He can't accept the ALZ diagnosis and the subject of death upsets him. He gets very upset whenever he hears someone he knows has died. Just today, he saw my Aunt and had forgotten her husband has died and was upset to hear that. So hard when she was upset that he forgot her DH but that is the Alzheimers causing that. Once she told him he had died then he got upset. It's like he is hearing of their deaths for the first time.

So there are many reasons to ask a lawyer about a WILL & POA when you are younger. Thankfully, you can change a Will anytime you want throughout your life; and circumstances are always changing as well so there's more to consider than it first appears. :dizzy:

It's :rain: here today; and the dampness bothers my right knee something aweful but I'd rather have this now & then than 90 heat with humidity. We've actually had pretty good weather here this year and all the rain is helping my garden flowers/bushes grow well. I am enjoying them immensely. :D

Hope you are all having a great JULY, and safe vacations too ... :flow1:

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Well, I got a lot accomplished today -- in the AM, I dead-headed my rose peony bushes and trimmed around the front porch and a few other small yard jobs. In between, I did a few loads of laundry as the hydro is almost half off on the weekends; then in the afternoon, Dh and I took a walk to the nearest store and back. When things cooled off in the evening, I also took a walk around the block since I felt good, but now I am feelin`it, so tomorrow will be a rest day for me. Think I`ll stick something easy in the oven for dinner if it is cool enuff.

I also crocheted some socks for the bottom of my kitchen chairs as they were making a heck of a racket on the tile floor in there. I made 8 yesterday and 8 today; and now you can barely hear anything at all when you move them around -- what a difference. I am so glad that I found my wool and crochet hooks when I went snooping in the basement. I found some other stuff I needed too; there are still a few things missing, but I may find them eventually (maybe next week).

Just wanted to pop in here to see if there were any new requests; but now I am going to go to bed early and rest this ole bod of mine. Take care and I hope you are all having a wonderful July weekend out there ... :hug:

pattygirl63
07-28-2013, 12:27 PM
Rosebud You really inspire me. You never stop. In fact, as I read your post of all you did yesterday, I think I'm going to have to stop letting DH tell me what I can't do. There are things that need to be done in our yard that would be a help to him and exercise for me. I am going to make it a goal to get out and pull some weeds etc. around here.

I want to thank you guys for praying me out of the slump I was in a while back. I think I was just feeling like I wasn't doing a lot of things I should be doing. Lost my purpose for a while. I think I've shared that DH and I do the Online prayer ministry for our church making sure that all the prayer requests go out to our prayer partners at church. Actually, Tony writes them and send them out. He is so good at it because he worked in Neo-Natal ICU for almost 20 yrs so he knows enough about a lot of the medical requests that come in to write just enough of info of how we need to pray for healing. Sometimes, I feel like I do nothing. In previous churches, I've always filled whatever position was needed. Although I could do it, I did not always enjoy it because I was just meeting a need... not always what I felt called to do. Then I realized one Sunday after pastor's sermon at church, I realized that my ministry is Intercessory prayer. I know how to pray things through and get results. However, I also figured out a way to make our prayer ministry better by contacting the people that I can to get updates on the prayer requests so DH can send out updates to the prayer partners so they can see how their prayers are being answered. Our pastor stresses to the church that the only reason we have seen the miracles and successes we've seen is because we are a praying church. The updates reinforce that. I have learned that my ministry is also encouraging others and I'm learning that too is very important. Helps me feel good too. I think I just needed to know where my place really is in the Lord's Kingdom. I can do devotionals at church when needed and the Lord always anoints that too, but I don't do that on a regular basis. Just available when needed. But prayer is something that is always needed.

So again thanks for your prayers.

Prayers continue for all.

gamechanger
07-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Hi Everybody,

I've been away for a little while. I've been engaged in two major activities: working and job hunting. Yes, I'm still looking. I've had some interviews, which is an improvement from the past. However, I haven't received a job offer yet. I've received some rejections, but no job offers at this time. It's frustrating and frightening. Nevertheless, I will continue to have faith that God is faithful. He has made some promises to me, and I know that He will fulfill them. I just don't know when, so I'm waiting and following His lead. In the meantime, I record my own thoughts on being unemployed and/or underemployed in my blog of encouragement. Like any other responsible adult going through this type of situation, encouragement is sorely needed. I attempt to encourage myself and to encourage others.

I'm grateful to be able to come to this forum to learn and to draw strength from all of your entries. We are all facing our own challenges and bearing our own crosses, but the Lord is with us every step of the way. I take comfort in that fact. God bless you all. Love you.

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-28-2013, 07:08 PM
THANKS TRISH -- it's a two way street; you all inspire and encourage me too. That was one of the things the LORD impressed on me over 7 years ago -- that even though I didn't have a lot of money, was isolated living in the country, and had some physical limitations, I did have the time and inclination to be a PRAYER WARRIOR, a CHRISTIAN ENCOURAGER, and a MESSENGER OF LOVE & HOPE. I think that all of us can do one or more of those important jobs for GOD.

There are days when I keep busy as that helps me keep my mind clear of the neggies, esp when DH isn't having a good day. If we go outdoors or go for a walk, that seems to help both of us feel better. Today, we took our furry baby and walked to the lake in the center of town.

We went a bit further than I normally go -- just pushing myself a wee bit. I would like to go to the beach or to a park in the other direction soon as well. I think that I may be ready to try one of them. My big goal after that is to walk all the way up town (but I can rest at the lake on benches halfway there). I haven't done that in years, and I may have to rest for a day afterwards but it will be so awesome when I accomplish that.

For lunch, I whizzed up some leftover veggies and broth for a thick soup; and I did put that frozen lasagna in the oven for dinner. I had salad with mine and I just added a bit more cheese on top as well. It turned out great and DH loved it. We have some ice cream sundae for dessert but are going to have that as a snack later on.

The only work I did today beside meals/dishes was take up a pair of Dh's new pj bottoms. I have two more to do; one each day will do fine. We had :rain: and :sunny: all day long; even some thunder, lightening, and hail for a few minutes but it didn't last, thank goodness.

MELISSA -- we will continue to pray that GOD will find the best position for you. It is very difficult in the US right now where people are losing jobs for no reason at all. It's not you; it's your ecomony and that terrible ripple effect that occurs in these situations: well, joe smoe is laying people off, so I can too syndrome. It happened in our country in every recession in the early 80's, 90's, and millennium. Things are better now, but some places still have few jobs available -- mostly in the retail, restaurant, and tourist areas (and many of them are only for the summer too).

Hope you all had a super Serene Sunday ... :hug:

pattygirl63
07-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Gamechanger I always believe that God wants to be so involved in our lives that He even has a special place where He wants us to work. I pray He leads you to that perfect place soon.

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-31-2013, 09:49 PM
Well, I can't believe that it is already the last day of July; where does time go? Only one month of summer left (well, unofficially, that is). We've been so busy this month, with so much to do around here; and looking after DH is a full-time job in itself (as my DAD says). However, I can see that I have been making great progress.

My flowers and plants look lovely; I trimmed them up myself. Put the peony plants and flowers in there metal cages. I have been training my Ivy plant to form an archway in front of the doorway and its almost there. Had to hire a guy to cut the lawn this year; it was so high (up to about the knees they say). He had to use a weedwhacker at first, then a cut with the mower. It took him 5 hours, sweating like buckets in the heat. He just had to do it again after all the :rain: we've had lately.

The weather has been cooler and wetter this summer; with one week of really hot/humid days so far. The odd day of heat but not all the time, thank goodness. The rain has really been helping my plants and they are doing great becuz of that and the compost we put in the beds last year.

Just went to the doctors and my blood pressure is too high; so have to try to address that anyway we can. Been under a lot of stress with DH and his condition; hopefully it isn't a physical cause. I gained back some weight from those steroids they gave me to handle the chemo; they worked well, but now I am having to work twice as hard to lose some of it again. My goal is about 30 lbs over the next year.

I've been pushing myself to do my walks each day; gotta keep in shape and I've been doing well. Sometimes, I was in some pain, but I just told myself my sister's mantra "SUCK IT UP, BUTTERCUP" and that helped. Plus I reminded myself all I went through after the surgery and chemo. If you can do that, you certainly can press on a bit more; that worked too. These are just a couple of my pep talks to myself.

Hope you've all been having a great summer so far -- see you again in the month of AUGUST starting tomorrow ... :flow2: