Mini-Goals - I Am Awesome!

View Full Version : I Am Awesome!

zoesmom
06-25-2013, 08:25 PM
A little over a year ago, I couldn't walk more than two feet without passing out due to severe lung issues brought on by a cocktail of wonderful diseases and an eventual diagnosis of ARDS complicated with severe asthma. I was on an O2 tank (which is collecting dust in the corner now...AHAHAHAHAHAH!!) and was told to file for disability at the ripe "old" age of 29. I was told, in not so many words, that I would not really have any quality of life. And don't even get me started on those DAMNED stairs leading up to my apartment!!!!

And today, I went a grand total of 3 miles in 30 minutes. I ran 20 minutes of it. AND I RAN UP MY STAIRS FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, WITHOUT A RACING HEART!!!

I still have asthma attacks. I still have emergency trips to the ER. I still have to check my O2 levels multiple times a day. But I am healthier, stronger, and more powerful today than I was last year...and far exceeding that of what doctors thought I would be able to do.

When someone tells you that you can't, do it anyways. When someone tells you it is hopeless, keep hoping. When someone tells you it is over, prove them wrong.

I did these things. And I am not yet done. I. Am. Awesome.

And so are you

Annik
06-25-2013, 08:40 PM
You are awesome! Keep going!

PUPMOM5
06-25-2013, 09:27 PM
That's incredible and so so inspiring! You ARE awesome!!!

Megan33
06-25-2013, 10:11 PM
I clicked on your post because the title made me smile. Yes, you ARE AWESOME!!!! Congrats and rock on!!!!

Lecomtes
06-25-2013, 10:24 PM
You are indeed! Well done!

Mozzy
06-25-2013, 10:29 PM
Good for you! Congrats!

Changergirl
06-25-2013, 10:48 PM
Congrats. You are doing so wonderful and are an inspiration to so many people.

Keep up the good work.

2fat2jump
06-25-2013, 10:53 PM
You're an inspiration zoesmom!! So happy for you!

KindaSortaAthlete
06-25-2013, 11:58 PM
How wonderful!! Keep up the good work!!

SuperHeroTeacher
06-26-2013, 01:21 AM
You are fantastically awesome!!!

Kitcherella
06-26-2013, 03:11 AM
:bravo: That's the spirit! Thanks for sharing and don't forget: You are awesome!!! :)

zoesmom
06-26-2013, 08:39 AM
Thanks everyone :) I just hope someone who is feeling lost and unable sees this and gets their blood racing and his/her mind going. For years I thought I couldn't. Now I know that it was everyone else thinking I couldn't that shaped my mind. Because I can. And if I can, ANYONE can!!! :hug:

Quiet Ballerina
06-26-2013, 01:08 PM
I have goosebumps reading your post! That is fantastic!! You are awesome for sure!

Only Believe
06-26-2013, 01:29 PM
I loved reading this! You are awesome and so inspiring!!

nitrus29
06-26-2013, 02:33 PM
Yes you are!!! :hug:

Chronostasis
06-26-2013, 02:53 PM
That's awesome! You're amazing and inspiring!

tehshort1
06-26-2013, 03:43 PM
:hug: You ARE SUPER AWESOME! Keep up the great work!

jessicado22
06-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Holy crap, that is awesome. YOU are awesome!!!!! And dayum, you must have been cooking to do 3 miles in 30 minutes only running 20! WTG!!!!

(Edit, I don't mean "only running 20" as in a "you ONLY ran 20?!?!?" nasty comment, I meant that if you can get 3 miles in 30 minutes without running the entire 30 minutes, then you must have been REALLY kicking but during those 20 and walking. I don't think I could do that!) Hope that makes sense....

zoesmom
06-26-2013, 08:42 PM
LOL! No offense taken. I had motivation. The...guy...who harassed me a few months back was doing his run yesterday. I have made it a personal goal to MAKE HIM EAT MY DUST! So..I BOOKED it like no tomorrow! I am beyond sore today...but by George, I did it! That means if I slow down, I can probably run all of it with no issues. And it also means, that in my near future, I can increase my speed easily. See...nasty people CAN be inspiration sometimes :D

miMOMMYof3
06-26-2013, 11:07 PM
Awesome don't cover it!!!! CONGRATS!

Nagazim
06-26-2013, 11:37 PM
Yes you are!

NorthernChick13
06-27-2013, 12:12 AM
That's amazing, zoesmom!! Congratulations!!!! And yes, you ARE mighty awesome!!!

SuperHeroTeacher
06-27-2013, 02:08 AM
LOL! No offense taken. I had motivation. The...guy...who harassed me a few months back was doing his run yesterday. I have made it a personal goal to MAKE HIM EAT MY DUST! So..I BOOKED it like no tomorrow! I am beyond sore today...but by George, I did it! That means if I slow down, I can probably run all of it with no issues. And it also means, that in my near future, I can increase my speed easily. See...nasty people CAN be inspiration sometimes :D

I think it says so much about your character that instead of taking what that slime-ball had to say to heart and letting it crush your spirit, you kick his a$$ everyday on your run! :kickbutt:

Amy1313
06-27-2013, 03:36 AM
First, I'm do sorry about your diagnosis and health issues. Not fun. I know I have never even met you, but I'm so proud of you! It's so much harder to do things with a disability and you aren't letting that stop you. I hope you know that your wonderful attitude has made at least one person smile :D
Thank you, so much, for sharing this. Keep up the amazing work!
:woohoo::running::running::running::cp:

zoesmom
06-27-2013, 08:03 AM
I want to take a bow. :) Seriously. Thank you, everyone!

I love sharing my story because I remember what it was like thinking it can't be done. The depression. The lack of care. The "why bother" mentality. If I can help just ONE person realize they too are worth it, that would mean everything to me. Despite the fact I may never be rid of that nasty O2 tank in my house and the fact that I will be on medications the rest of my life for my lung issues, I refuse to accept that I have to sit out of life. For every person who tells me I can't, for every person who thinks I won't, for every person who believes I will fail this time like I have every other time, I have a dozen here who tell me I can, who think I will, who believes I will succeed.

And if I can...I KNOW you all can. I LOVE being part of such an awesome and inspiring group. I know I get called an inspiration often, but truthfully, it is everyone here that has been my inspiration to keep going, even when life dealt me a nasty blow. I could have given up. I was told I should give up. By everybody...except for 3FC. :grouphug: thank you.

betsy2013
06-27-2013, 11:04 AM
I've got tears in my eyes from reading these posts. And at my age, it takes a lot to get me teared up. Thanks for sharing and providing the encouragement that all of us need at some time. Keep going, girl. You are indeed awesome!

Amy1313
06-29-2013, 02:54 AM
You have the BEST attitude! I'm rooting for you and I'm looking forward to reading your future posts :)
I have quite a few health problems, too and I know the pride that comes with doing something you thought you weren't able to do. I have to say that you've inspired me to be more proud of my accomplishments, to be my own cheerleader :cheer3:

:congrat: to us both!

Daisydixon
06-29-2013, 08:16 AM
What a fantastic piece of advice! Half the time doctors just seem to be guessing. Your attitude is great, keep it up!

sarcruze
06-30-2013, 05:57 PM
That is a huge accomplishment. Congratulations!! U are an inspiration to those who feel like giving up when faced with bad news.

zoesmom
06-30-2013, 06:06 PM

I know how it feels to want to give up. I remember the depression. The fear. The moment of self pity so low that you wonder what's the point of even going on. I remember sinking so low that for a moment, and only a moment, I though of just ending it all because of the burden I would be on my family if I did file disability and cave to what was expected of me. And then something snapped. I refused to go out without attempting to better myself. I owed it to myself to see what I was capable of. I owed to to my daughter, who saved my life, to try and make it a life worth saving.

I know the best advice I got was from the least likely person, my daughter. Once out of the hospital, she saw me having problems moving from the couch to the chair, a mere 5 foot walk. The kid was three at the time (4 now.) She came over to me, gave me her hand and said, "Mommy, I know it is hard to learn to walk. Just take baby steps like I did when I learned." I know she misunderstood what my real issue was, but in the same token, she was right. Baby steps. That was the answer. I spent the next several months forcing myself to go one extra step. The first day, I made 5. The next, 6. It was gradual and it was slow. I was SO out of breath...my lungs hurt...I wanted to give up. But every time I tried to just throw my arms up, there was that little hand holding mine. The stairs where the worst part. I could only do one at a time...and I had a whole flight in my way just to get outside. It took me three months just to be able to go up them without having my O2 levels drop dangerously low.

If you had asked me a year ago (okay, 8/13 will mark a year, but close enough) what I would be doing, I would never believe you that I wouldn't need assistance breathing and I most certainly would not believe you I could run.

If this has taught me anything, it has taught me that our only obstacles in life is us.

BridgetA
07-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Thats great and inspirational!! keep up the good work!