Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 06-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Default NSV....I can run 11 miles, and I'm working toward 15 this summer! Woo!

Running 11 miles was like a dream. When I first started running, I couldn't run for 30 seconds straight. I started at 268lbs. Running in a body like that is hard and I believe it was a few months before I could even run a mile straight. I'm still overweight, but it's so much easier to run, even if I am still very slow. When I ran 10 miles, I was tired. After 11, I was zonked. This was the hardest run of my life, but I'm hoping it is a stepping stone into some better, longer, and more enlightening runs. <3 I have this dream of becoming a long distance runner someday, where I run ultras. At least once, I want to run an ultramarathon. I know I haven't even been in a race yet, but I know that over the past two years, I've come to love my running. It's saved me in many ways. Depressed? Run! Happy? Run! Morning, noon and night, I can run for any reason at all. I can run when I'm poor or when I have money and sometimes I run twice in one day. My longer runs are meditation. It's my leisure time and my hard working time all in one. I am never, ever more free than when I am running.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #2  
They call me Nunu!

Height: 170 cms/ 5’7

Wow, itīs inspiring to find someone who loves running so much! I run (or jog) too, I used to be pretty good but after moving to Barcelona I stopped running, now Iīm running again but itīs harder than before. I used to do 21 kms at a decent pace, now my longest run is 14 kms and very very slowly! I hope to start loving running again!
Your story is so inspirational!
FiftyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #3  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Congrats!!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #4  
pick your hard

S/C/G: 240/192/145

What is there to say? keep going!!
Anything past 5 miles seems daunting to me, I aspire to be where you are.
Kitcherella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #5  

It's attainable. I just kept on and on.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #6  
a healthier me

S/C/G: 161/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3" Age: 42

Awesome! Hold on to your dreams...I am betting that someday they will come true.
aspen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #7  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I am super-impressed, especially at your weight. I was expecting to see a 145 on your ticker and I get 181! 11 miles! Wow!

The most I can run is 3.5 miles and I am 196lbs. And trust me, that distance busts my butt! I'm hoping that having ran at heavier weights will allow me to go the distance as I lose.

Last edited by IanG; 06-24-2013 at 05:28 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
I am super-impressed, especially at your weight. I was expecting to see a 145 on your ticker and I get 181! 11 miles! Wow!

The most I can run is 3.5 miles and I am 196lbs. And trust me, that distance busts my butt! I'm hoping that having ran at heavier weights will allow me to go the distance as I lose.
I would say you're correct. I started running at my starting weight. It was HARD at first, but I was at nine miles before I broke 200. I'm slow, at 12 mins a mile for my short runs, and 14 per mile on my long runs. I'm working on my speed, and that's been my roughest hurdle. Don't worry. If I can run this far, you can too. It's just a question of preparation. It took me two years to work up to this far, and honestly, I'm pleased as punch to be where I am.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:56 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspen13 View Post
Awesome! Hold on to your dreams...I am betting that someday they will come true.
Thank you! I will. I have big dreams, but you have to if you expect to achieve big goals.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #10  
Cindy

S/C/G: 219/see ticker/136

Height: 5'6"

That is awesome! I also use my runs as meditation time. The more focused and mindful I am of the run and my surroundings, and the less I think about other things in my life, the faster I go. I usually only go 3 miles, and this morning was my fastest run ever (36 minutes). Like you, I want to work on my speed.

Congrats and keep up the great work. You are an inspiration!
forkeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #11  
forever a lake effect kid

S/C/G: 262.6/181.3/162.6

Height: 5'4''

You are so amazing! I'm just like you, I've always wanted to be a runner. I started at 265 lbs as well. So far, the farthest I've managed is 8 miles, but I can't wait to hit 11 miles so day. You are inspiring!
epicskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #12  
Slender Nerdess Inside...

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'0"

Wow! I wish I could run like that! Do you have any tips or tricks? I've been walking and the most I could run is like 90 seconds and I...want...to...die... My knee problems don't help. :/

I hope to slowly work my way up to running a 5k race. That is my super goal by the end of the year. I need to just stop making excuses! If you guys can do it that so can I!
tehshort1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:38 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 178/142/135

Height: 5'4"

Congrats on your new record!!! What an amazing feeling!

I secretly want to do an ultramarathon too. Our bodies are amazing, I think we can do it!
KindaSortaAthlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicskyline View Post
You are so amazing! I'm just like you, I've always wanted to be a runner. I started at 265 lbs as well. So far, the farthest I've managed is 8 miles, but I can't wait to hit 11 miles so day. You are inspiring!
8 miles is amazing! Don't worry. Eventually, you'll be way further!
Old 06-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehshort1 View Post
Wow! I wish I could run like that! Do you have any tips or tricks? I've been walking and the most I could run is like 90 seconds and I...want...to...die... My knee problems don't help. :/

I hope to slowly work my way up to running a 5k race. That is my super goal by the end of the year. I need to just stop making excuses! If you guys can do it that so can I!
When I started, I ran for like 30 seconds and walked until I felt not winded. My goal was to try and run at least one step further each time. My tips and tricks include: keep on going, as long as you're trying you're succeeding and be mindful of your body. If it hurts, like actual pain and not vague muscle soreness, you probably need a rest. Happy running!