Old 06-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #1  
IP Start Date 5/13/13

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 5'7"

Default Experimenting with no restricteds?

I'm 6 weeks in and I've lost 16 lbs. it's pretty frustrating that I lose it in waves. I will lose nothing for 7-10 days then suddenly lose 1/2 lb or more a day. Bizarre.

When I'm on a run losing weight every day, I feel good. But when I hit these slumps, even though I know they're coming, I get discouraged. Particularly when I log in here and see people for whom 2 lbs a week is a slow week.

I have been 100% OP from day 1. At first I wasn't getting enough oil but I changed that and noticed a difference. I drink at least 125 oz of water a day, sometimes more. I've only had occasional veggies twice in 6 weeks. I'm a rule follower and I've been very, very good.

I know 16 lbs is 16 lbs and I'm better off with that loss than without. And yes, ive lost inches. About 12 in total. But I would like to see if there is anything I can do to pick up the pace a bit here. I have about 60 more lbs to go. Making mattered worse, I can't cross over into Onederland. I've been bobbling between 200.0 and 201.1 for the last 5 days. It's not TOM (in fact that just passed so I was hoping for the whoosh others have experienced, no such luck.) The big C? I dunno. I don't feel it, but am definitely not going often. I tried smooth move tea the other night with no luck. I've also been taking Senekot which is what my coach recommended. Not much going on there. So, I have to believe its not C.

I'm thinking about cutting all my restricteds for a week just to see what happens. Has anyone done that before? How were the results? I love my bars, but I love my pre-made chocolate drinks just as much so I can handle it for a while if it will show results.

Thoughts? Advice? Suggestions?

Last edited by hangdog; 06-24-2013 at 09:52 AM.
hangdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 260/260/150

Height: 5'3"

Try a week without any restricteds and see if that gets things moving. Aside from that first week, I generally only lose .5-2 lbs/week, and when I go a few days without restricteds, it helps moves things along a little better.
jodi73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #3  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I watched some of the Ideal Protein videos. One of them was specifically about carbs. Ideal Protein's range of daily carb intake is between 25 to 40 g per day. That includes the carbs in the packets and the vegetable intake.

The comment made by one of the physicians was that some people can easily lose even when consuming at the high end of the range on a daily basis. Other people will have to work to keep carb intake closer to 25.

I have found that when I carefully measure my vegetables (surprising what their carb content is when I look it up) and stick to the non-restricteds, my weight loss is better during that week. O, and also important with that is that I drink lots and lots of water. It is through water that our burned up fat is eliminated. No water, no elimination of fat. Stays in the body as junk???

I will see if I can find that video for you.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 395/241.5/250

Height: 6'4"

Everyone's body responds differently. In the four months that I've been on it I have found that my body responded with only losing weight every second week. I too, lost big numbers - 15 pounds - 20 pounds - 12 pounds - etc. It worked out to over 7 pounds per week.

Then just to throw me off I didn't lose anything for close to 3 weeks before returning to my "normal" weight loss routine.

At this point I seem to lose on a weekly basis - just smaller numbers.

As far as restricteds - I don't use them. What I've found is as soon as I eat any restricted item the weight loss train comes to an immediate halt. Even after stopping it takes several days for me to start losing again. I can only guess that ketosis is stopped when I eat restricteds. I must be that sensitive to carbs - lucky me.

So, do I follow the program exactly as it is laid out? No, but that hasn't stopped me from losing 105 pounds in 4 months on it.

Finally, if I may be so bold - I too would like the process to be sped up - seems like it doesn't take anytime at all to put the pounds on does it? However, that type of instant gratification thinking has resulted in the obesity in the first place (among other reasons) - in my case anyway.

Stay strong, stay on program and the weight will be lost. Four months ago I didn't think I would be where I am at either - it will happen for you.
Spiritman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #5  
IP Start Date 5/13/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annik View Post
I watched some of the Ideal Protein videos. One of them was specifically about carbs. Ideal Protein's range of daily carb intake is between 25 to 40 g per day. That includes the carbs in the packets and the vegetable intake.

The comment made by one of the physicians was that some people can easily lose even when consuming at the high end of the range on a daily basis. Other people will have to work to keep carb intake closer to 25.

I have found that when I carefully measure my vegetables (surprising what their carb content is when I look it up) and stick to the non-restricteds, my weight loss is better during that week. O, and also important with that is that I drink lots and lots of water. It is through water that our burned up fat is eliminated. No water, no elimination of fat. Stays in the body as junk???

I will see if I can find that video for you.
Thanks! Would love to see the video if you can find it. Most of my veggies appear relatively low carb. Lunch is a salad with romaine lettuce and 2 cups of veggies consisting of cucumbers, bell peppers and steamed broccoli florets. Sometimes celery. Dinner veggies typically include broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus or mushrooms. When I take the average and calculate 4 cups a day, I should be around 12 grams of carbs. Then, I typically have a Wildberry yogurt for breakfast (4 grams) and a ready made chocolate drink with lunch (4 grams). That puts me at 20 grams. If I swap out a restricted bar for another shake, I will be around 24 grams versus 36. Definitely worth a try!!!!! I will let you know how it works.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #6  
IP Start: 05/16/13

S/C/G: 215.8/140.3/145

Height: 5'5"

Good morning. My center says that maintaining a carb count between 25 and 35 grams per day (veggies, packets, everything included) is ideal for weight loss. I have done that fairly consistently and have seen losses which have made me happy. I have found, however, that in order to be fully between those numbers, I have to limit my restricted. I keep them for more "special" occasions - going to a movie, having a really crappy day, etc. I average about 1 per week (sometimes, two) and when I do, try to eat lower carb veggies and other foods.

My IP foods are generally the following: Vanilla drink, chicken soup (with veggies), RTD chocolate, puddings (butterscotch or dark chocolate). Sometimes chicken pottage, pina colada, jello. I try to make sure that I am keeping towards the lower end of the carbs with my unrestricted, w/ the exception of pottage and dark choc. pudding.

Last edited by sarita75; 06-24-2013 at 11:45 AM. Reason: typo!
sarita75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #7  
IP Start Date 5/13/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarita75 View Post
Good morning. My center says that maintaining a carb count between 25 and 35 grams per day (veggies, packets, everything included) is ideal for weight loss. I have done that fairly consistently and have seen losses which have made me happy. I have found, however, that in order to be fully between those numbers, I have to limit my restricted. I keep them for more "special" occasions - going to a movie, having a really crappy day, etc. I average about 1 per week (sometimes, two) and when I do, try to eat lower carb veggies and other foods.

My IP foods are generally the following: Vanilla drink, chicken soup (with veggies), RTD chocolate, puddings (butterscotch or dark chocolate). Sometimes chicken pottage, pina colada, jello. I try to make sure that I am keeping towards the lower end of the carbs with my unrestricted, w/ the exception of pottage and dark choc. pudding.
Thank you! I'm going to try that. You are actually one of the people I've been watching here. We have similar starting weights and started about the same time but you are leaving me in the dust!!!!!!!! I would really like to catch up to you and experience similar results. I like the idea of saving them for a treat.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangdog View Post
Thank you! I'm going to try that. You are actually one of the people I've been watching here. We have similar starting weights and started about the same time but you are leaving me in the dust!!!!!!!! I would really like to catch up to you and experience similar results. I like the idea of saving them for a treat.

I am sorry that I have complained about only 2# then! Please remember that everybody has a different body. I have a lot of lean muscle mass from prior triathloning and 1/2 marathon-ing - even at 200+#. So that is a factor in my losses. However, I believe the cutting restricteds has helped as I keep my carb counts lower. If you are using My Fitness Pal, I am happy to become "friends" with you on there so we can share our journals.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #9  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Hangdog,

Here are some of those videos: http://www.idealcoaching.tv/video-samples.html

I think it is the one called 'Restricted and Unrestricted Ideal Protein Foods' that includes the information I spoke about.

Good to be having this conversation and I am keen to hear how things go for you!

Last edited by Annik; 06-24-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #10  

Quote:
I'm 6 weeks in and I've lost 16 lbs. it's pretty frustrating that I lose it in waves. I will lose nothing for 7-10 days then suddenly lose 1/2 lb or more a day. Bizarre.

When I'm on a run losing weight every day, I feel good. But when I hit these slumps, even though I know they're coming, I get discouraged. Particularly when I log in here and see people for whom 2 lbs a week is a slow week.

I have been 100% OP from day 1. At first I wasn't getting enough oil but I changed that and noticed a difference. I drink at least 125 oz of water a day, sometimes more. I've only had occasional veggies twice in 6 weeks. I'm a rule follower and I've been very, very good.

I know 16 lbs is 16 lbs and I'm better off with that loss than without. And yes, ive lost inches. About 12 in total. But I would like to see if there is anything I can do to pick up the pace a bit here. I have about 60 more lbs to go. Making mattered worse, I can't cross over into Onederland. I've been bobbling between 200.0 and 201.1 for the last 5 days. It's not TOM (in fact that just passed so I was hoping for the whoosh others have experienced, no such luck.) The big C? I dunno. I don't feel it, but am definitely not going often. I tried smooth move tea the other night with no luck. I've also been taking Senekot which is what my coach recommended. Not much going on there. So, I have to believe its not C.

I'm thinking about cutting all my restricteds for a week just to see what happens. Has anyone done that before? How were the results? I love my bars, but I love my pre-made chocolate drinks just as much so I can handle it for a while if it will show results.

Thoughts? Advice? Suggestions?
Okay. I'm at my computer now.
I thought some other IP long-timers (or John) would have jumped in before now!

First: I think you are stressing yourself out comparing yourself to others. We all lose at different rates. Our metabolisms are all different. My goodness, halfagain has lost OVER TWICE the amount of weight I've lost in a similar amount of time! We all are different ages and heights, have different hormonal balances (or imbalances) and have different lives! And, stress increases the hormone cortisol, which interferes with weight loss.

Second: Weight loss is not linear. You will not lose x amount per day or per week. AND what we are trying to lose is FAT. The scale measures overall weight. So it measures heavier if we are retaining water (for whatever reason) or if we are constipated or WHATEVER. These things are completely separate from actually losing fat. You complained about losing in waves but that is precisely what happens to most of us. It is not bizarre at all.

Third: It seems like you are complaining about an average weight loss of OVER 2.5 lbs/week. You are averaging an average amount for IP. If you are still hanging on to the bigger claims they used to make, know IP revised those claims. What other diet has given you results like this???

Fourth: If you are stressing over the scale, then STAY OFF OF IT. A watched pot doesn't boil and sometimes watched scales don't move (the stress increases cortisol). Follow the protocol (including your restricteds) and trust the process. You can't game the IP protocol to speed things up. This is ALREADY a quick weight loss program (most other plans average .5-1/week).

Yes, there are some people who are so extremely carb sensitive that they can't use the restricteds, or must severely limit them. From your description, you are not one of them. You are steadily losing weight (not daily, but steadily, in whooshes, the way it happens).

You will probably have at least one week of a zero loss. Most of us have. This is just the way long-term weight loss works. John has some great articles you need to read & he'll link to them if he jumps in here. But if you stick with it, you'll get the results you want. It may not be in the timeframe you want but you know what? Tough. Life isn't always fair. I've been dealt MANY blows while I've been on this plan and I'm still working it and still headed toward my goal (thyroid problems, a course of steroids & injuries to name a few). If I had averaged 2.5 lbs/week every week, I'd be at my goal right now. I'm not. Oh well. I'm still moving forward and headed in the right direction.

We can do it together as long as we stay positive and leave the stress out of it and stop comparing our results to the results of others. We aren't living their lives. We are only living our own.

So, my question to you is this: What can you do today to reduce the stress and relax and enjoy it while this weight comes off and you change sizes and gain back your healthy life? I predict Onderland will appear when the stress dissipates.

Last edited by lisa32989; 06-24-2013 at 03:24 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #11  

I love Lisa's answer.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #12  
IP Start Date 5/13/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarita75 View Post
I am sorry that I have complained about only 2# then! Please remember that everybody has a different body. I have a lot of lean muscle mass from prior triathloning and 1/2 marathon-ing - even at 200+#. So that is a factor in my losses. However, I believe the cutting restricteds has helped as I keep my carb counts lower. If you are using My Fitness Pal, I am happy to become "friends" with you on there so we can share our journals.
Hahaha, no need to apologize! We all complain about our results, no matter how great they may seem to others. I get it. You're still my hero and I am striving to achieve something close to your losses. May or may not work for me, but if nothing else, it will keep me OP and prevent me from cheating because its just going to take me longer.

I haven't done much with Fitness Pal. Mi signed up, but am not sure what to do with it. Do you find it helpful?
Old 06-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #13  

Quote:
Hahaha, no need to apologize! We all complain about our results, no matter how great they may seem to others. I get it. You're still my hero and I am striving to achieve something close to your losses. May or may not work for me, but if nothing else, it will keep me OP and prevent me from cheating because its just going to take me longer.

I haven't done much with Fitness Pal. Mi signed up, but am not sure what to do with it. Do you find it helpful?
I do indeed. It helps me recognize where I am with my carbs and to look up foods that I am considering. As for being your hero - blush. I am glad we are in this "together." Will PM you my information for MFP if you care to link up.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #14  

Default Morning restricteds

Hi!

I'm new here and I know that the timing of eating has been discussed and basically dismissed as unimportant, but my coach suggested eating restricteds in the morning since it gives you all day to use up the energy. She says several of her clients have moved their restricted to the morning and have lots of water with them, and have pushed past plateaus that way.

I think it sounds kinda nuts, but the way my schedule works I usually have a restricted bar in the morning as I fly out the door and I don't think it would hurt to try it out just to see if it improves your WI. I noticed if I didn't have a restricted in the morning, I was hungrier by lunch. She did say not to skip them though and that seems to be a the consensus here too.

Not sure if this helps, but thought it might.
StormyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #15  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Okay. I'm at my computer now.
I thought some other IP long-timers (or John) would have jumped in before now!
Ha! I started answering this question three times but got too busy and I'm still too busy to say anything but this.

I think you covered it well - not exactly the same way I would have but better from a practical perspective.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote