Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 317/292/150

Height: 5'3 ½

Default Which is worse? To hate your body or to hate your face?

I used to love my face. Even after I gained the weight I still got the "oh your face is gorgeous" crap. Nobody thinks that anymore, I can't even trick myself into thinking that anymore. And while I realize that not everyone can be pretty, I am to the point where I hate my face. I just want to cover up all the mirrors in the house. I don't know why this last week has been so hard on me, mainly about stuff I never really cared about before but now all of a sudden I do. I looked in one of the mirrors at the grocery store the other today and I wanted to go home right that instant. I almost started crying in the middle of the store. My ocd kicked in and I started counting over and over and then doing my reverse alphabetical order.
I just feel like I am never going to like myself. It doesn't matter if I am 110 lbs or 350lbs.

Last edited by livelaughlovesunshin; 06-22-2013 at 06:36 PM.
livelaughlovesunshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:47 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

I had the same issue a while ago. I feel your pain. I was very depressed and went to a doctor about it right away (unfortunately, I realized I was depressed when I started to make comments about ending my life). I don't know if you're depressed, but please talk to somebody about it if you are. We are beautiful and we deserve to be happy with ourselves inside and out, do we not? Get a new haircut, buy new makeup, get a massage, get a manicure, and/or take a vacation. Do something that will make you feel good. We all deserve it once in a while.
SoOverThisFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

Self acceptance is so important and it really has nothing to do with what you actually look like, your face or body. I hope that you can make peace with yourself.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:22 AM   #4  
Crimson

S/C/G: HW:150, SW:139, CW:120, GW:120

Height: 5'6.5"

I don't think it's true that "nobody thinks you have a beautiful face anymore". Have you asked them? I think your thinking might be a little warped. I hope you can be more mindful of your thoughts, and perhaps challenge some of the negative assumptions you're making.

Regardless of whether other people think you're beautiful, I agree with JessLess that self-acceptance is really important. Not easy, but important. Your worth as a person doesn't depend on a pretty face.
alizarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:43 AM   #5  
PoundPuncher

S/C/G: 176/161/155

Height: 5'7

I agree with the comments above. Accepting yourself is the most important thing in overcoming your depression. You have to love yourself no matter what you look like.
myjade84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:19 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 346/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2

I've hated my face and body for years from being picked on since early childhood up until I graduated highschool last summer. In 10th grade (not even the worst year) I tried to commit suicide and was on life support while in a coma. When I graduated, things got a million times better. I was able to tell myself I look beautiful, mean it (because most days I do believe I'm pretty), and not have someone shoot me down in the next few hours. I still hate my body, because I'm still fat and have been that way, to some extent, my whole life. Some days I hate my face, but to a much lesser degree than I used to. All that said, I am still depressed, so I completely understand why I think the things I do about myself. My level of depression is pretty mild for me right now though, I can get much worse, given the psychiatric disorders I have. I think being talked badly about as a young child (since I was about 6) formed my self hate the most. I can't shake it. I've always been told that I need a therapist or something, but I don't trust therapists. So, there's that.

To answer your question... I guess it's worse to hate your face.. You can always work on your body to a certain degree. You're stuck with your face. But, I don't mind that, because my face, even if not stunning, is not unfortunate in any way. Be confident in that. Play your strengths. Work on your body to the best of your ability. Why be a 6 (avg) when you could be an 8(hot)? lol

I learn to like myself more and more everyday by saying positive affirmations about myself while looking in a mirror. It may seem dumb or pointless, but it will help if you do it often. I don't do it daily, but when I need a boost, I go to a mirror, and I pick one or two things I like about myself. Doesn't even have to be physical.
alyssarof2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think hate is such a destructive emotion, that it's equally bad no matter where it's directed.

The question is a bit like asking "What's worse, crushing a pet puppy to death or a pet kitten?"
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/188/110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLess View Post
Self acceptance is so important and it really has nothing to do with what you actually look like, your face or body. I hope that you can make peace with yourself.
I don't think that is correct. People with a nice face usually know they have a nice face. I know I have a nice face.

All my friends seem to have correct understanding of themselves too.

My body is horrible though. Not just fat, but strange unusual shape.
Noriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 346/see ticker/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMisfit View Post
How about hating both almost equally? I am getting some cosmetic surgery on my face so hopefully I will feel better.
What kind of things can you get done to your face? I never thought about that. I think I have an average face, not ugly, but definitely not amazing, and I'd be interested in that.
alyssarof2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #10  

I am adopted and I know who my birth mother is.
She is a relative and my parents and everyone who knew her said what a terrible and ugly person she was. Now I knew who my birth mother is but no one knew I knew. So when I was about 17 we went to visit another relative who made the remark that I looked just like my birth mother. So ever since I have not got that statement out of my head before that I always believe I was very beautiful
STorres43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

I think I have a nice face...noone ever really called me ugly except for my mother who constantly criticized me. How I survived being raised by her I'll never know. To answer your original question I'd rather have a nice face..because you can hide a body under clothes.
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #12  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

We all have what we have. Body, face, metabolism, what ever.

The best thing we can do, is to strive to do the best we can with what we have, stand up straight, walk tall, be confident, and love the body you have, not some stupid photo shopped pipe dream.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #13  
Almost there!

S/C/G: 212/163.8/130

Height: 5'4

We are our own worst judge. I don't like my face either and I don't like my body (after being pregnant, it destroyed me, that's the honest truth). However, finding the right clothes and putting on makeup makes me look like a totally different person and that's when I love the way I look. My advice? Getting a makeover will do wonders for you. Be positive and happy. The way you feel on the inside reflects heavily on the way you look from the outside.
Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 185/180/135

I have days where I wake up and hate both the body and the face, but there are some days where I wake up and think I'm ok. Although many of those days I end up seeing a mirror somewhere, and begin to hate myself all over again. :/
TofuSprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote