Looking Good, Feeling Great - How much do you spend on bras?

View Full Version : How much do you spend on bras?

Underwater
06-22-2013, 05:58 PM
I have terrible, hard-to-fit boobs so my bra selection is very limited. Today I went to Macy's, tried on about 30 bras, and bought 2 of the same in different colors- $62 each! (at least I had 25% off, so about $50 each...)

I have friends that spend $15 on bras from Target and friends that go to the fancy lingerie boutique and spend $100-200.

What do you guys spend? Have any favorites to recommend that come in DD sizes?

amandie
06-22-2013, 06:04 PM
I got some bras from Gordman's on sale for like 3-5 dollars each (very lucky find!) but about 2 weeks later, they didn't fit anymore, LOL (good thing I didn't spend too much!) and apparently they don't carry DDs so that store is out for me now.

I love Kohls especially if you use their 30% off and they have signs above the bras that will tell you if they carry your band and cup size which makes it somewhat easier to find. I'm not at home to know the brands I have but I'll come back and update. Oh yea, most of the bras there were about 30 bucks or under or at least the ones I got were. 34DD here.

I hate bra-shopping but well worth it when you have 2-3 good ones.

halo104
06-22-2013, 06:31 PM
I always stock up during the semi-annual sale at Victorias Secret. I'm a 38 DD and the ones at Macy's and JCPenney are super ugly and granny bras, quite frankly. So I stock up on my nude and patterned bras, and they're usually about 20 bucks a pop at that time.

Hyacinth
06-22-2013, 06:32 PM
My experience is just like yours, Underwater.

I love Wacoal bras, and go in to Macy's once in a while to get sized. I buy one or more bras, then come home and look them up by part number and size on google shopping, and buy them in different colors.

Also, I have a hard time getting the right fit in the right size and almost never have luck with Victoria's Secret. Cute, and how I wish, but not at this time. I currently need industrial-strength bras. :(

CanadianCutie
06-22-2013, 06:50 PM
I'm in a 40DD or 40DDD depending on brand. I lucked out at a US walmart and got two 40DDs that fit perfectly for $5 a piece on the clearance rack (along with about 10 pair of just my size panties from packages the others had opened for .50 a pair). I usually get my bras from penningtons or addition-elle here in Canada, if you want to take a look at what they have on their website google them, I believe they ship to the US.

Changergirl
06-22-2013, 07:00 PM
I found a European store in the Toronto area that I absolutely love called Changes. I know it's growing in North America so there may be stores around you, however it is pricy, unless you stumble upon a sale. I spend normally around $50-65 a bra, but they are definitely worth it. I'm a size (or was) 38G and they are the first bras I've ever owned that keep me lifted without having massive straps.

My boobs have shrunk a lot so I'm excited for when I go home (live in Korea=no bras close to fitting me) in a couple weeks to see what size I am now and how cheap I can get some.

livelaughlovesunshin
06-22-2013, 07:05 PM
I have to spend about $60/70 on each one unless they are on sale but I rarely find that happens. :/ I was just fitted for the second time in a year cause my other bras weren't fitting right anymore and the lady told me I need a 42J. Of course they didn't have it and I was desperate and tired of being stabbed in the titty by underwire so I got the next size down. I hate the damn thing. I have to order it offline.

Katydid77
06-22-2013, 07:08 PM
I tend to shop at fredrick's online, b/c bras are the one thing that I NEVER shop for in a regular store.

I have gotten so fed up with seeing cute bras and them never having my size. I'm a 34DD and anything less than a 36DD is difficult (read: impossible) to find off the rack . . .(get it?! rack . . . .. :p )

Aaaannyway, I pay about $35 to $50 for them, and like everyone else, usually wait for some type of coupon or percentage off.

I budget everything, so I tend to spend about $120 on them twice a year.

A lot of times I go ahead and buy undies at the same time, just so I have this illusion of actually trying to be sexy and cute.

This of course deteriorates as I have to be at work at 5am and getting dressed at 4am does not make one give a crap which pair of undies they fish out of the drawer. LOL

freelancemomma
06-22-2013, 07:19 PM
I
What do you guys spend?

Well, I've got hard-to-fit arms, legs and feet, but easy-peasy boobs! I buy a lot of my bras from Winners (Canadian equivalent to Ross) off the rack for under $20 and they fit just fine.

F.

novangel
06-22-2013, 07:21 PM
I just got some at Target for $17. They have some really nice ones that feel/fit just as comfortable as VS. I'm so over spending $50+ on boob holders. With that said; I have a very common size so I have no issues finding bras that fit.

Riddy
06-22-2013, 07:30 PM
I've never had a mainstream size (42ddd to 40f to 38ddd to 36ddd to 34ddd), so with the exception of a La Mystere at a consignment store, my cheapest bras are about $35. My Panache sports bras are almost double that, but they're worth it to prevent pain while running.

alaskanlaughter
06-22-2013, 09:34 PM
ive always bought bras from fred Meyers or walmart, the only places in town to buy these from...I used to wear up to a 42D or DD (can't remember) and now i'm at a 36C size and could wear a 34-something but haven't had the patience to figure out what....a 34B is too small of a cup....either way I just grab some from walmart for $10-16...I also got sports bras from there, just generic pack of 3 in a medium size and it's always worked just fine....I might just be cheap, or impatient or whatever but that's all I've ever done in terms of bra-shopping lol

cwhetstine
06-22-2013, 10:31 PM
I used to buy the 18 hour bras from Walmart since they were the only ones that even came close to being comfortable and fitting right. Last year I went to a boutique and was fitted. I was wearing the wrong size, not really a big surprise considering they say like 80% of women wear the wrong size. Was buying a 38C or 38D....found out I was a 34E! BIG difference. I just about choked when I saw the prices of the bras I was trying on but they were SO comfy! I bought one and hoped my husband wouldn't kill me since we live off one (small) income. Once he saw how nice I looked with my girls in the right place and how much more confidence I had, he was okay with the price I paid. I did find the same bras on ebay for half the price.

Anyway, my most favorite brand was Elomi. Since I've lost some weight, I'm down to a 32E now and Elomi apparently doesn't make bras in anything smaller than a 34. :(

My newest bras are from Wacoal (sp?) and Panache. From the store they're anywhere from $50 - $80 but TOTALLY worth it in my opinion. They are so comfy when they fit right, they feel like a second skin. No more rolls all over the place, no more strap adjusting, etc. Plus, if you find one you like, you can almost always get one cheaper online.

Arctic Mama
06-22-2013, 10:43 PM
I have a very hard size to find - 32I, currently. I don't mess with success and only buy Ewa Michalak these days. They come to about $40 per bra, are beautiful, and ship from Poland. I've spent three times as much before and haven't had as good of construction. For US companies the bras but, like sports bras, are in the $60-80 USD range.

http://www.ewa-michalak.pl/eng_m_Bras-119.html

mimsyborogoves
06-22-2013, 11:16 PM
I buy off the 2-fer wall at Victoria's Secret now that I'm in a 34C. For some reason those bras seem to fit me best. I'm curious to try cheaper places like Target though now that I have a easier-to-fit size.

Annik
06-22-2013, 11:31 PM
Undergarments are something I don't skimp on. Worth every penny for proper fit (I go to a lingerie store where they do the measuring) and helps me feel confident that my pack is put together right.

When I see photos of myself wearing improperly fitted bras, I cringe!

These days I am wearing spanx and a bra tank.

Underwater
06-23-2013, 12:02 AM
Thanks all. I am keeping the expensive bras in the bag and am going to check out Kohls tomorrow. I used to have trouble there when I was a DDD, but now that I'm a DD, maybe I'll have more selection.

cookinmary
06-23-2013, 12:28 PM
I just bought some bras this month. I bought mine at Dillards. Wacoal, and they were reduced to 36 bucks where the regular price was 60 bucks. I bought three of them. The ones I got were reduced because of the color. Pink and aqua color. I'm happy with them. If you look online at Dillard's, they may still have them for you.

ArtThistle
06-24-2013, 03:06 PM
Personally, I shop at La Senza. Their bras are fairly cheap and fit a variety of sizes. And they have tons in DD sizes.

ChickieChicks
06-24-2013, 03:19 PM
A ridiculous amount. :-(

I am a 32F/G.

My sports bras are about $65 each. The best, most functional bra I have was $82. I have gotten some DDDs in "cute, sexy styles", but they really only work as lingerie.

I usually wear the same bra almost everyday, a great one from Nordstom's, so it wears out much more quickly. I need to just suck it up and buy a few.

Sum38
06-24-2013, 03:43 PM
I am a 34E so none of the "regular" stores carry my size. I just got fitted and bought two sets (incl panties to match). They were 30% off and total bill came to $160.

Leaves
06-24-2013, 04:06 PM
Also lots and lots. Another 32gg (depending) here, so decently fitting bras cost an absolute fortune :( I really need some new ones as well now since the weight loss. Not looking forward to that shopping trip..

Mozzy
06-24-2013, 04:40 PM
I used to spend $50-100 dollars on a bra and wear them until they were shredded. Now I shop at the thrift stores. I'm a weird size and it can be a challenge to find, but when I get lucky I GET REALLY LUCKY!!!!!

pucedaisy
06-25-2013, 01:26 PM
I spend about $65-$80 on bras. I'm a 32HH and I go to a specialty lingerie store or Nordstrom- I can't find my size anywhere else. Getting professionally fitted is really important, if you haven't done that. My friend thought for years she was a 42DD and got fitted- she is a 38F! Very big difference in support and fit!

I also use a website called HerRoom. Sometimes even Nordstrom doesn't have my size. HerRoom has a very easy return system so I can order a bunch in new styles and send back whatever doesn't work for me.

I hate my boobs much less when I have some good bras that fit me well. It is definitely worth the money and effort.

Rosalitta
06-26-2013, 11:41 AM
It depends on the bra :) Usually it's between $20 and $60 but I do try to watch for sales! I tend to get mine through penningtons/addition-elle (which btw ship to the US!)

Kymish
06-26-2013, 12:16 PM
I use to have to order from speciality stores, and had to pay around 100-200 per bra, but since weight loss i now fit into ones from like victoria secret and la senza. i ALWAYS wait for bra sales to purchase thou so i never spend more then 50 on 2. and i basically live in sports bras unless its a occassion that requires me to be more dressy lol. sports bra wise i spent about 10-20 each. and for me the ones that fit me best i found at roxy.com and old navy :)

runningfromfat
06-27-2013, 08:34 PM
Even for very hard to find sizes you can get them for cheaper! I currently wear a 32K/KK and typically spend $40 or less on bras. I typically look at ebay UK, figleaves (they have both a US and a UK website- sign up for their emails and you can get 20-25% off coupons), Large Cup Lingerie- they ship from the UK but the shipping is free and they offer good discounts on sports bras, and Brastop (watch for free international shipping!).

Also, make sure you're in the right size. If you're trying on so many bras I do wonder if you've got the right size to begin with? 80% support of the bra comes from the band so you really want a tight band to get enough support. Check out Butterfly Collection to get a good estimate for your size: http://www.butterflycollection.ca/bra-size-calculator/ and make sure your bras fit. Signs to check for:
- center gore lays flat against your sternum
- the bra itself doesn't cut into any breast tissue- no quadraboob
- there is no wrinkling in the cups
- the underwires don't pinch and aren't too wide or too narrow
- the back of your bra band does not ride up and its comfortably tight.
- the straps don't dig into your shoulders

ETA: also check out Bratabase: http://www.bratabase.com/ you can often find good used/new bras on there for sale. Like I PP mentioned, I too buy a lot of Ewa Michalak bras. Those I'm willing to spend a bit more because the quality is so great!

Mama Whitty
06-28-2013, 03:44 PM
I spend about $60 on a bra. Usually only buy from Victoria Secret. I am a 38DD. I really hope to be a "C" when it's all said and done. I hate my chest.

jessicado22
06-29-2013, 02:46 AM
As I've made my way down the weight loss chain, I've ranged from a 42DDD to a 36DD currently. I am super frugal. I buy pretty much all my underwear/bras from Ross/TJ Max, Marshalls, Kohls, etc. Usually Ross, because bras are about $6-$7 and you can get nice quality ones. But the other stores have bras for about $10-$15 usually and also good brands that would be much more expensive in a normal departments store. I consider it splurging if I spend $15 on a bra, lol. When I was larger, it was hard to find bras, but I would just buy the 42DD and bend the wires out. As I am losing weight so quickly now, I am glad that I am not spending alot on bras, as I just have to buy new ones!

65X65
07-07-2013, 11:50 AM
I spend about $60 on a bra. Usually only buy from Victoria Secret. I am a 38DD. I really hope to be a "C" when it's all said and done. I hate my chest.

Well...my daughter dragged me off to a "Bra Diva" in April once I lost enough to need new ones...and I spent more on 1 than I ever spent on multiple purchases in the past. I must say it was one of the nicest things I did (actually..was made to "did"...) for myself while losing.

All of a sudden my clothes look 200% better...and it made me look even thinner...I was amazed...You don't need a lot...esp if you're still losing. But if your budget lets you...Then do it! Yes...I spent about $60 each on a black one and nude one. Now I'll need to do it again before the summer ends...
You can go less expensively for slacks or tops...but I'm a believer. They don't refer to them as foundation garments for nothing!!

SeeMyFeet
07-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Well...I've tried spending a lot and a little, and, frankly, there is not much difference between the two with respect to comfort, fit, or durability, as far as I can tell. Then again, I prefer practical over fancy.

Fit is important, but I find that different styles--even from the same manufacturer--don't fit the same on me. Anyone else have this issue? I always try on before buying and start by testing different sizes.

.....still searching for the perfect shapewear.....(or shapeshifters, as I like to call them).....

65X65
07-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Well...I've tried spending a lot and a little, and, frankly, there is not much difference between the two with respect to comfort, fit, or durability, as far as I can tell. Then again, I prefer practical over fancy.

Fit is important, but I find that different styles--even from the same manufacturer--don't fit the same on me. Anyone else have this issue? I always try on before buying and start by testing different sizes.

.....still searching for the perfect shapewear.....(or shapeshifters, as I like to call them).....
Interesting you did not see a difference.... ... We're you ever measured and fitted by a pro? That was the big difference for me. Apparently a majority of women are in the wrong size....! It amazed me...Was so sure they were going to tell me I was OK where I was!! The size recommended to me by the fitter was NOT what I ever would have tried on by myself. That was where it became indisputable .... I was part of that majority in the wrong size ..... And holy smoke...those girls looked quite right sized for the rest of me !!!

SeeMyFeet
07-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Yes, I have "pro" measurements. I tend to look for the same features and style in such garments, so I might be purchasing different labels made by the same manufacturer. Or they are using similar patterns and fabrics.

Funny memory from when my boys were little: they preferred to call underwear "overbutts"......I miss my little boys!

Sirius Amadeus
07-17-2013, 12:05 PM
I've been getting my bras from Lane Bryant for years; they have pretty much every larger size you could imagine, and are the longest-lasting bras i've ever owned! I'm a 38DDD, and my boobs have been known to destroy bras within a couple months. The bras from LB, however, last me at least 3 yrs (!!) before I need new ones. Not putting them in the dryer helps, too ;)
They run about 30-40$ per bra, but there's usually a buy one get one half off promo going on. Google "cacique bras" if you're curious.

NeeneeKhaleesi
07-17-2013, 01:46 PM
I work in a retail store where we have crazy amounts of clearance bras. My manager got fed up with the inventory not moving so he made all of the bras 1.99 each. With my 20 percent discount on to of that, I ended up buying a HUGE bag of bras. However, they are starting to be a little big on me now which is a good and sad thing.

mymagicnumber
07-17-2013, 02:05 PM
I also have hard-to-fit boobs, one bigger than the other. I never had been fitted for a bra before. Decided to check out Aerie in the mall the other day to see if they did fittings -- they did. So I thought, why not? Apparently, even though I measure like a D, I wear a C -- a C36. I tried on oodles and oodles of bras which made me look GREAT, but the "touching elbows" test always resulted the same. The bra would stop holding my boobs and slide down my stomach. Finally I found what I call the "hooker bra," called Emma I believe, and oh my gosh. $30, great lift, boyfriend enjoyed it, even said my posture looked better than ever. After 5 bras you get the 6th free.

Honestly, I'll go back.

FrouFrou
07-17-2013, 02:55 PM
I wouldn't mind spending $50 or more on a bra if I could find one worth that. Really would like to find some good sports bras that don't make me look like I have a uni-boob! I think the most I have spent on one is about $35 and out of all the ones I have there is not one that I truly like.

Underwater
07-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Well guys, I started this thread, and let me update you! It took months of searching, but I found the right bras for me.

Body by Victoria Unlined Perfect Coverage. They only sell these bras online. I know everyone is different, but these are just perfect for me. And they are not ugly!

shcirerf
07-19-2013, 12:44 AM
If it fits properly, is comfy and makes me look good, I will spend up to $50. 38DD, had kids, long floppy girls. :D

Since it is an item most of us wear most of the day, everyday, it needs to fit, be comfy and enhance the figure, this all helps to make our shirts look better, and keep the wild ones in check!:D

Rhiko
07-19-2013, 02:38 AM
Typically I would spend a maximum of $50 NZD ($39.50 USD). However, now I'm a student and I don't want to spend my partner's money, I get $20 ones from Bendon. The $20 last just as long as the more expensive and look just as fantastic.

happy dance
07-19-2013, 01:51 PM
If anyone has the opportunity, try The Towne Shop (sp?) in New York for a fitting. It was one of the best things I ever did! Eight of us ladies trooped in on a trip to NY and each of us had our own "fitter." They even tell you "we don't "measure" you; we "fit" you." Long story short, only one of the eight of us was wearing the right size! I felt so good in the bras I bought there that I wore one out of the store -- threw the one I had been wearing away right then. I must have spent over $200 on bras that day, but they were one of the best investments I ever made (Chantelle and Wacoal). Well fitting bras seem to last longer, too.

I wear a 32DD, so they can be difficult to find (and pricey), but I will never scrimp on them again.

NJChick78
07-19-2013, 02:31 PM
$3 - $12 at Ross and Burlington

Hyacinth
07-19-2013, 03:27 PM
I spent $60 on 2 bras this weekend at Macy's. I almost always go to Macy's because of a hard-to-find size (38G). I look forward to the day when I have a more mainstream size and can buy $20 bras.

Ambrosia
07-19-2013, 05:04 PM
I spent -about $30 per bra. I usually buy them online when Lane Bryant has those buy two get two free sales.

Mission Fat to Fab
07-20-2013, 11:33 AM
I'm a 38J so I spend a ridiculous amount on bras, and what's worse is that there is no where in Spain that does my size. I tend to stock up when I go to London as I can buy loads from Debenhams in my size, both in their own brand and in the other brands they carry. Otherwise I order them online on figleaves but that's still around 40 a pop.

LadyPetite
08-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Currently I'm a 38DDD and the bras I bought are the Playtex 18 hour ones from Walmart. Not very sexy and flirty looking but they keep everything in place and help to slightly defy gravity. They cost around $20.

modifyeddoll87
08-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Im a 38 DDD and i cannot sing the praises of CASIQUE (spelling ) bras loud enough they are cute sexy and DURABLE <<<<

because my boobies are heavy they usually warp the underwire of regular bras in under a week .... these bras are built to last catch them on the semi annual and you can score 4 bras for 90 bucks including the tax so its about 22 dollars ish a bra and they are CUTE !!!

they start at a 36 D i believe

i hope even when i loose weight i never shrink out of thier sizing id be so sad !