PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #1  

Default hair loss.....got sunburnt

Ok,
so I am completely freaked out and need help. I was diagnosed PCOS earlier this year but suspect I have had it since my teens. I am on levothyroxine for a low thyroid which I had before I found out I was PCOS. Since the diagnosis I have been on 1000mg a day of metformin and my endo has also prescribed phentermine.
I have been losing a little bit of hair on and off for about a year but now I am losing it in clumps. I always had really thick hair but it has thinned so much that I got sunburnt on my scalp the other day which has never happened before. I told my endo about the hair loss but he just documents it and keeps going.
I am so freaked out but I know that all of my medications cause hair loss on their own. The metformin is controlling my insulin and my weight has dropped and I have felt the best I have felt in years! I don't want to be bald though!
IrishDMBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #2  

I know how you feel, I've had 5 years of hair thinning and I can't stand it anymore so I've been researching and researching.

The only thing I've done over 5 years is take a multivitamin, which obviously doesn't grow hair lol

I'm like you I go to the pool and get a bit of sunburning around the front line of my hair, it stinks right

Hopefully we can all find something to stop the shedding and grow hair back, I know I've read all over the internet different ways to, guess I just need to find what will work for me.
CourtneyTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/175

Height: 5'3

I use coconut oil in my hair once a week. I just heat it up slightly and massage it into my scalp. It has helped it to become stronger and doesn't fall out as much. It also has the advantage of being a completely natural product. If you don't like the smell of coconut oil you can use olive oil or almond oil.
Mission Fat to Fab is offline   Reply With Quote