Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat June 17-23

saef
06-17-2013, 10:54 AM
The Google Chrome Browser emphatically did NOT want me visiting 3FC yesterday or today, but I punched the button labeled "proceed at your own risk" and now I'm here, opening up a new chat thread on behalf of those who are more prudent in their risk management practices.

I laced up my sneakers & went out for a run this morning in a nearby park, rather than heading out to my usual Monday 6 AM spin class. I've been meaning to do this for weeks, but on the mornings when I felt ready, we usually had some kind of downpour happening. Here's to successfully challenging my routines this week in whatever small ways that I can manage.

Shannon in ATL
06-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Thanks for starting the thread, Saef! Chrome isn't letting me into 3FC either, I had to come in with another browser. Good job on the run this morning! Changing the routine is good.

I have to get back into my routine this week. I feel run down and terrible, and I feel like lack of exercise has to have something to do with that.

krampus
06-17-2013, 12:08 PM
WHEW I can get on here again!

Today I have my first dentist appointment in 5 years. Yep, 5 years. I lived in Japan for 3 and just never went there, then I came home and had no insurance/no drive to go. I'll be lucky if I don't have gum disease and need all my teeth extracted. -__-

I watched "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" right before bed, so I slept sort of funny.

Mudpie
06-17-2013, 07:47 PM
The malware has been defeated! I couldn't get on with either browser I use :tantrum: until now.

I had a quiet Monday. 3 of the dogs are away. I took the last walk of the day's pair to a different off leash and the poodle was SO happy with the change in routine (saef take note :p). She sprinted through the grass and tried to steal toys from the dogs in the water. Usually, at the regular off leash, she's off in search of p**p to eat - :barf: I have the two of them again tomorrow (along with a lab going on a second walk) and I'm going to go there again. It's a bit far to drive but worth the effort to make the dogs so happy.

The beer and chips blowout from Saturday hasn't left yet but I'm confident it will be gone by tomorrow. I wore shorts at work for the first time this year. I think I can finally switch over to summer cooking too - many more salads (I have a new recipe book) and meat thrown on the grill. I can feel those 5 winter weight lbs. starting to leave already!

Good week all! Glad we can all chat again.

Dagmar :beach:

alinnell
06-17-2013, 08:41 PM
I could have bypassed on Chrome at work today but didn't want to risk it. Safari at home would not allow me to proceed.

I've been discussing wedding plans with DD. It seems that sooner rather than later is the choice--something around Christmas. But they're torn on location. Seattle (where his family is) and here. I don't relish planning a wedding and reception up there from down here. And I looked at wedding planners--does $2000 or more make it that much more worthwhile to use a planner? She doesn't want a church wedding, but if they have it there it'd be at his family's church. She really wants it outside and you just can't do that in Seattle at that time of year. Really, you can't plan a lot outside in Seattle regardless of the time of year! Yikes! And to top it off, she'll be in grad school AND trying to plan this at the same time!

DS gets to have a colonoscopy tomorrow. His last meal was lunch and the procedure isn't until 3 PM. He's already hungry!

traveling michele
06-18-2013, 12:21 AM
Your son is having a colonoscopy Allison?

I don't relish the idea of wedding planning. Sounds very stressful! But exciting!

I use Firefox at work and couldn't get on here either. I'm at home on my iPad so I wonder if things are back to normal?

I'm incredibly sore from trying the insanity DVD yesterday. It started in my calves and seems to be spreading! I did body pump tonight which was probably a mistake. Now I can barely move!

BillBlueEyes
06-18-2013, 06:50 AM
Yay for saef treading where others feared to tread - malware or no. Thanks for starting the weekly thread. I missed my 3FC fix yesterday.

Good luck with the dentist, krampus. My hope is that at some point in life a trip to the dentist isn't dreaded. I still feel like a little boy when I get scolded because I haven't flossed daily.

My challenge today is to assist with some plastering and painting, which is not a trade where I could make a living because I just don't like to paint. The good news is that it's hard to nibble anything when the hands are grubby, LOL.

Mudpie
06-18-2013, 07:57 AM
Always nice to use my fitness in everyday life. I just turned our double mattress 90 degrees by myself. :strong:

Dagmar :cool:

alinnell
06-18-2013, 10:22 AM
Your son is having a colonoscopy Allison?

I don't relish the idea of wedding planning. Sounds very stressful! But exciting!

I use Firefox at work and couldn't get on here either. I'm at home on my iPad so I wonder if things are back to normal?

I'm incredibly sore from trying the insanity DVD yesterday. It started in my calves and seems to be spreading! I did body pump tonight which was probably a mistake. Now I can barely move!

Oops! NO, DH is having the colonoscopy.

It sounds like a good stretching session or yoga will help with the ache, Michele.

traveling michele
06-18-2013, 11:36 AM
LOL Allison! That's what I thought. Good luck to him!

Bikram Yoga is on the schedule tonight so hopefully that will help with the soreness-- it is slightly better than yesterday.

Hope the dentist goes well Krampus!

My work party that I got out of for today is back on my schedule. They changed the time and I didn't have a good excuse so I'm going. I will avoid the lasagna, the desserts, and alcohol. I'm bringing fresh fruit and hope there are some other healthier options. It's at lunch time so I don't plan on eating much (or staying too long).

Three more days of work until my break. I can make it!!

paperclippy
06-18-2013, 01:37 PM
Hi folks! Things are either getting crazy or settling down here, I'm not sure which. We finally have both babies home from the hospital! Just finished giving them baths. Feeding is kind of confusing because sometimes both of them are really hungry, sometimes one of them only eats a little, and sometimes one of them is just sleepy and won't eat at all. Right now DD2 (hey, I can refer to my DD's now!) wouldn't wake up to eat, probably because she was tired out from her bath. I guess we should have fed her right after washing her instead of waiting until DD1's bath was done. (DD1 chowed down.)

In any case, other than us trying to figure out what is "normal" in terms of their eating, they seem to be doing just fine. My parents are coming into town tomorrow to see the babies (they saw them right after they were born in the NICU but then flew home again) and help out. I'm not sure how it will go -- my mom is generally really helpful to have around, but my dad sometimes just causes more stress. I'm hoping that if I give him a job and a todo list that it will keep him out of my hair (plus, they are staying in a hotel instead of in our house which helps). We've decided to ask him to do some home repairs and babyproofing, and also hand over the video camera and make him the official videographer. My mom, I'm hoping, will help us out with groceries and cooking, which is where we're struggling right now.

I posted photos of the babies on facebook but they're protected. I'll try to get a good one to show you guys soon!

Allison - congrats to your DD! Wedding planning is a major pain, and IMO a wedding planner is 100% worth the money. There are different levels of planners depending how much help you need. They should be able to work within your budget if they're any good.

alinnell
06-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Jessica! So glad to hear the girls are home. How is Carter reacting to them? Don't worry, you'll fall into a routine with the feeding/changing/bathing/napping soon enough. Just remember to get enough sleep yourself!

So another chat session with DD regarding venues. His family is from Sequim, WA, which is north of Seattle. I found a really nice venue there and a caterer they recommend. She said she'd rather have it in Seattle. Ugh. More $$! I did suggest she call a wedding planner to get an idea of what to expect.

krampus
06-18-2013, 03:57 PM
ARGH have a few cavities ($700 worth of work WITH insurance?!) and I need my upper wisdom teeth out. I cried a lot after the appointment but BF calmed me down with a delicious homecooked dinner ripe with GARLIC PASTE and my roommate took us out for ice cream - Went back for my cleaning today and I have 3 weeks til filling appointment #1. Somehow I managed to leave my free toothbrush & floss there - ARGH!

Nice fast-paced run at lunch today. Looking forward to lifting later, too.

dstalksalot
06-18-2013, 04:35 PM
^ you will be happy you got your teeth worked in. Instead of waiting any longer. I waited too long and needed a good gum cleaning....but thankfully no fillings.

I am at maintenance now of 145, but after only a week in maintenance I went up to my red line weight 146. I guess I need a bigger cushion and get down lower. So, I am kicking up the weight lifting and calorie restriction. I have a graduation and a bridal shower to host this weekend so things ate kind of crazy.

I will do my best but maintenance seems to have eluded me so far.

I second the others who suggest a wedding planner. I am my BFF's wedding planner and sheesh, its a ton of work.

iriswhispers
06-19-2013, 12:18 AM
Krampus, I had a similar dentist experience a few years ago - it was about a 5 year lapse for me as well, and not a pleasant experience. It'll be good to have everything taken care of, though!

Jessica, congratulations on the new additions to your family!

Allison, good luck with the wedding planning for your DD! A handful of my classmates got married (or will be) this summer and I have no idea how they managed to do any planning during the school year.

My mom and aunt visited this weekend, which was a really nice "girls weekend" but I think mostly all we did was eat! Today I took a pretty long walk/jog with a friend but I'm still feeling the bloat hanging on. I definitely want to watch my eating and keep up the workouts this week - next week my bf and I are going to the beach and I know this week won't make a huge difference but I'll FEEL better in my bathing suit if I stay on track.

ICUwishing
06-19-2013, 10:29 AM
krampus, better late than never! It will feel really good to know that all the work is done and you don't have to wonder about it any more.

Dagmar, how's your wound healing? You sound upbeat - like spring is finally reaching you!

michele, I've watched the Insanity infomercial several times with a sort of fascinated horror. :p Much as I love to imagine what I could gain from doing it, I know I have a long way to go before I could carry out that kind of exercise commitment!

bill, too true about grubbiness and nibbling!
Jessica, congrats on having the babies at home! I think your strategy with the parents is a great one - tell them what you need and would appreciate the most. All parents remember the experience of a new baby, and we know how incredibly busy those first months are, and how grateful new parents are for any sort of help!

ds, maintenance has its ebbs and flows. The only constant seems to be the lack of constants! :lol:

iris, agree with you that being on track is a huge mental leap ahead!

:wave: We're getting ready to leave tomorrow night for Europe and there have been a lot of things to do. Originally my mom was handling all the details, but with my grandma in hospice care, she's obviously spending a lot of time there. I'm starting to get really geeked up. :D

We logged 9.65 miles last night. The weather couldn't have been more perfect, so they pushed an extra mile and a half on us. Today ... oh, my, I am feeling it! Sitting on an airplane for 8 hours actually sounds good at the moment!

Mudpie
06-19-2013, 11:19 AM
becky Have a GREAT time in Europe! Enjoy all sorts of excellent beer! :hat:

Dagmar :cool:

traveling michele
06-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Sorry Krampus but you need to take good care of your teeth! My mom lost her teeth at an early age and it has scared me to take good care of my teeth-- I floss (almost) daily, brush multiple times a day and always go for cleanings!

I did the insanity video on Sunday and my calves are still super sore!! Wow! Not sure when I'll try it again! I'm hoping that is partially the cause of my weight being up more than usual.

krampus
06-19-2013, 11:58 AM
I really wish I hadn't waited so long. Turns out I'm not afraid of the dentist and they're not out to ruin my life or anything. I already scheduled my next cleaning in 6 months.

Weather's finally nice and I had a really weirdly low WI this morning (121.2 after gym and a decent BM) despite having what felt like a maintenance calories day yesterday. I also checked myself out in the mirror and saw the faint shadow of ABS - they went away once I drank water, but still...

Mudpie
06-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Just bought a rug for the new place - like this but in red! I was going to actually GET the yellow but the decor worked out differently. I'm going for a vibrant scando/asian feel. A very colourful train wreck is probably what I'll end up with but it'll be a fun house! :p

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/HAND-KNOTTED-6X8-100-WOOL-FOLK-ART-LORI-BUFT-MODERN-GABBEH-RUG-SH406-/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/$(KGrHqZHJCwFDOOO+I7HBQ0MTgqDhw~~60_3.JPG

I didn't have much usefor interior decorators - until now. This stuff is hard! Spoke to one of the other dogwalkers who is just in the process of redoing her living room. Her decorating tastes sound quite a bit like mine - turquoise couch and eggplant walls for her place. No beige or gray allowed!

I do confess I will probably have gray curtains and a gray ottoman, just to provide a bit of relief from all the vibrant colour and to have a neutral throughout the house.

DH will kill me if he finds out I bought a rug without carefully measuring the space and charting it out on graph paper. I have a great spatial sense, both in 2 and 3 dimensions. I can take all the furniture that is supposed to go into a room and have it arranged in a functional yet pleasing way in about 15 minutes.

Another largely useless skill, along with spotting spelling mistakes, being able to match colours to things in the back of my closet I haven't seen in 2 years without looking, hanging art without having to measure, etc.

Dagmar :flow2:

ChrisMohr
06-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Karen and I have been running a very successful wedding chapel for 17 years now. But business is way down this year, so much so that we are selling the building and going out of business. Not fun news at all for a guy who's six years away from retirement. We've both been depressed, scared, uncertain. I have managed to maintain my winter weight and not go even higher, but the goal of losing that last ten pounds again is eluding me. I'm self-medicating with chocolate chip cookies (in a controlled way at least) but that's no way to lose weight. Bummer.

Mudpie
06-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Karen and I have been running a very successful wedding chapel for 17 years now. But business is way down this year, so much so that we are selling the building and going out of business. Not fun news at all for a guy who's six years away from retirement. We've both been depressed, scared, uncertain. I have managed to maintain my winter weight and not go even higher, but the goal of losing that last ten pounds again is eluding me. I'm self-medicating with chocolate chip cookies (in a controlled way at least) but that's no way to lose weight. Bummer.

Sorry to hear that Chris. I too "run my own show" and it can be difficult at times. I hope there is work that you enjoy still in your future and that you will be able to retire comfortably.

Now step away from the darn cookies! (I say this in my nicest tough love voice) :rollpin:

Dagmar :(

alinnell
06-21-2013, 11:30 AM
So sorry about the business Chris. It is difficult to be a small business owner and having to deal with the economy and uncertainty.

I haven't heard much more from DD regarding her wedding plans. I don't think she felt well yesterday so probably didn't "work" on it much. I do wish she'd come home for a weekend so we could talk about it all rather than doing FB or Google chat.

WardHog
06-21-2013, 02:09 PM
I am sorry about the business, Chris.

Wedding planning via FB is no fun!

Ugh - came home from a swim meet at 11 pm last night to no A/C upstairs. A repairman will be here sometime between 1 and 4 so we wait. I am dreading hearing what the cost will be.

Not to mention that DH's car has been in the shop for a week. He is driving a rental. The car rental place was all out of "normal" cars so he has a mustang. I have been chiding him all week about his "muscle car".

traveling michele
06-21-2013, 11:48 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your business Chris. Do you have other plans now, or can you retire early? As you know, food is not the answer (I need to tell myself this on an almost daily basis!).

Megan1982
06-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Summer busy-ness continues around here. The sea turtles on my island are laying nests like crazy this year. It's good for them but I'm sure tired! I can feel my body getting into better shape from all the field work. The heat is really wreaking havoc with my appetite. I'm trying to just listen to my body for when I'm hungry. I mean, why force food? Though it's strange to me because I'm not one of those people who can usually just skip a meal. :dizzy: BF's new sailboat is also doing a booming charter business and he's exciting this idea seems to be working. He works 7 days a week and gets home at 9:30 PM when I'm close to passing out :faint: from his sunset cruises so we don't see eat other much, but that's normal for this time of year. This is his season to make money, he's got to take advantage! Our never ending bowls of kale salad and romaine salad in the fridge, combined with larger batches of various proteins cooked with leftovers in mind work well for both of us. All of this is good for my body and my weight!

I found a place sort of nearby to pick blackberries, so I'm going with a friend later today. I hope to freeze a bunch. I've already frozen one batch of blueberries from a pick-your-own place that uses no pesticides. Of course I eat as many as I can fresh, too! I've got to eat as many berries while I have the chance! I love berries and summer fruit.

Dagmar, sounds like you're having a great time making this new home your own. Love it! Glad you're having so much fun.

Chris, sorry to hear about your chapel closing. Can you retire early or do you or Karen have any prospects? Will the building sale give you some cushion? Is your opera and music stuff able to provide you with some income? :hug: in this difficult time.

Insanity sound crazy to me! There is one time I might have been in good enough shape to do the workouts. I sort of lament that, but the amount of workouts that took may not have been sustainable for me. Michele I'll bet you're sore! Good for you!

Iris, wow. Medical school is HARD. Enjoy your well-deserved break! Good to see you here, too! :wave:

Becky, I hope you have a great time on your trip.

Jessica, the girls are so precious. I love the Ctrl C & Ctrl V onesies. Sounds like a good idea to have your dad do some home repairs. I'm sure your parents just want to be helpful without being too in the way.

Allison, congrats to your DD! How exciting. If you can afford it a wedding planner would probably be really helpful. There's nothing like having a local who knows the resources available.

Hi to everyone else. :wave: Have a great weekend everyone.