Old 06-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #1  

Default PART 2: For those who have lost 100+ pounds

Okay, I have another question... for those who did it without surgery... how did you do it? And how long did it take? Were you always overweight?
Trying my best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #2  
There I am!

S/C/G: 279/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Hi Trying! I started out by changing my eating habits and making healthier food choices January 2012. I slowly started incorporating walking into my routine. I then started doing low carb and that lasted for several more months until I fell off the bandwagon. I more or less took the summer off last year, gained back about 25lbs and re-started in October. I have been at it since and hoping to get to goal before the year is over!
thnknthin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #3  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

Hey Trying...I wasn't always very overweight. I weighed about 150-155 until I was 26 or so and then started gaining massive amounts of weight.

I tried losing a few different times but finally committing to a low-carb diet has been the only thing that has worked for me long term. I have food allergies to peas, beans and cauliflour and now I tell myself that I have an allergy to sugar. I just don't know how to handle it so I avoid it.

Getting the majority of the weight off hasn't been that difficult but the closer I get to my goal weight, the harder I'm finding it to stay motivated. It's a process.
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Height: 5'6"

I was always obese. I was definitely over 160 when I was 14 years old and it only got worse from there. At 18, I was over 200. By 27, I was 265 lbs.

I lost the first 40 lbs through modifying my diet on my own. I cut out all fried food and tried to eat a little as possible, but still satisfying my hunger. I always tried to eat slowly and end a meal when I felt "not hungry" rather than "full." I usually found 10-20 minutes later, I felt full anyway.

I plateaued out around 205 and started to gain a bit after 2 months. This is when I realized I needed help and signed up for weekly weight loss classes at my doctor's office. They do a very strict program called HMR and I started losing 2-3 lbs a week. I have since been on this plan for 17 weeks and have lost over 40 lbs.

I exercised on and off throughout my weight loss. Getting a work out in has always been a struggle for me but I try my best to do something active 3 times a week.

I started dieting on Christmas Day 2011 and hit 100 lbs lost on Memorial Day. So about 17 months.

Last edited by Underwater; 06-17-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 258/146ish/146ish

Height: 5' 5

I wasn't always overweight. I was a scrawny little kid like my brothers up until my 5th grade summer. This was around the time we moved from a neighborhood where I had several good friends two hours away to a rural neighborhood with no girls my age. I think that had some to do with it. That and I think eating became my hobby(something to do)... Anyways, I lost some weight here and there... My highest weight was in college(think unlimited food in the cafeteria). When I graduated college, my mom had just started weight watchers and so I did too. I also had a major life change which I think helped forced some new habits. I moved cross country to another state and was basically on my own starting my first job. I created new habits such as exercise and with healthy eating. I would say it took me a year to lose 100 lbs and then 4-5 more months to lose the last 20 lbs. In the beginning, the weight fell off it seemed especially since I exercised. My exercise did begin as a 1/2 mile walk and then progressed to powerwalking 3 miles, running 3 miles, cycling 10 miles, to cycling 100 miles

I maintained this weight loss for 8 years!!!! 2 years ago I had to give up running(bad knees due to overtraining) and I finally added some variety in my very rigid way of eating. I didn't really eat my own birthday cake or a meal at Thanksgiving or Christmas. I incorporated a once a week splurge meal that became a splurge day which really was more like a binge in terms of the amount of food. I did maintain several good habits though which is why I only gained 30 lbs back. January 2nd I found my fitness pal(a way to track your calories) and have been using that. I am within 10 lbs of my goal weight. My knees do allow me to exercise! I can do cardio(kickboxing, elliptical, zumba, etc...) and I'm incorporated strength training. I am actually eating more than I did when I had restricted myself on WW and I also am eating lower carb(not no carb). I am getting enough healthy protien and fats which I didn't get on WW. I think WW is a great program and it was the way I worked it that lead to my struggles I did lose 120 lbs on it when I really didn't know I could lose any weight(had tried a lot of things). One thing I liked about WW is it didn't start you off at a very low points/low calorie since the number of points you use is based on your weight. I did learn healthy eating from WW but I didn't use the weekly points or exercise points in a way that allowed me to learn moderation(allowing myself a treat every now and then). I know that is built into WW, I just didn't learn that So, that is what I'm determined to learn as I lose these last 10 lbs and then hit maintenance.

Last edited by monmis12; 06-18-2013 at 06:32 AM.
monmis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #6  

I was height-weight proportionate until I had a baby at age 20. I'd gone up 30 pounds with the pregnancy, and then added another 120 pounds over the next two decades. It took about a year to lose 98 pounds, have plateaued for about a year, and I still have 50 pounds to take off. (I told the how part of your question in my answer to the first thread).
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote