Old 06-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #51

Good morning to you ladies. It cooled off overnight, but it is creeping its way back up this morning already.

I have the house done except for dusting and we will do carpets tomorrow and Sunday since Jack didn't get them done before we left and they are a mess with Fortune having gotten sick on them. Sunday Jack is going to get an oil change as the thing dinged at us all the way home from Indiana and kept scaring the heck out of me that something was wrong.

I just got a texted from my sister that lives in Phoenix. They are going to his parents house in Arkansas over the 4th weekend and want us to come over and see them. His parents really were the ones that introduced me to Jack and treat us like family (actually his mom is my step aunt, long story.) So when I get done here, I will text Jack and ask him about going over on Saturday and coming home on Sunday or going over Friday night after work and coming home on Saturday.

I am down another couple lbs which is great considering birthday cake and pizza and all over last weekend.

Maggie: It is either feast or famine, too much rain or too much heat will take out all your garden. I can't wait for some fresh tomatoes. I am thinking I will go to Fresh Market and check theirs out.

Well girls, not much more excitement around here. Have a great weekend all. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendy Hot Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

It is 80º this beautiful day at 10:30 am and the sun is shining brightly. I am back in the swing of things and writing what I bite. I have been good every day now since I started back in doing that.

Since my computer is on its last leg I saved all the addresses to my “favorites” and have them on a thumb drive now. Some of the things I want to purchase later I had to do a long search for and didn’t want to lose the addresses. They are certain particular things I want for the motor home and don’t need to get them before we purchase a motor home. I didn’t want to lose their address if this computer decides to crash. Hopefully this computer doesn’t crash and I can transfer my things over but just in case I wanted those web addresses saved.

For dinner this day I am making pork chops with apricots, rice, green beans and a salad. I have the chops in the fridge to be thawing. For lunch we are going to get a subway sandwich which I will probably just eat half of.

These cotton wood trees around here are shedding and have my nose twitching. They make it look like it is snowing in 90 degree weather. There are a lot of those trees in the park we drive through to get to the buffalo pen each day. They have a Frisbee Golf course through that park and we have gotten to know a lot of the teens that go there to play. There is always the same group of collage boys and they can get air with those Frisbees. Nice kids. We miss seeing them when the weather is bad and they don’t play.

Will is just outside my office door pulling the tacks out of the floor and Beanie and Cecil are right there supervising and Ragg Mopp is under my desk snoozing. He isn’t one to be getting in the way and likes it under my desk where he doesn’t get bothered. I have never seen a dog and a cat get along so well as these two do. They are brothers in arms. Will is just now taking a break and Cecil has come to me for some attention along with Beanie. We are going to have to decide what we will do with these boys when we do decide to travel. We know the next door neighbors would take them in a heartbeat for they like them all. We shall see just what happens when the time comes.

DONNA FAYE Have a nice visit with you sister. It is fun to get with relatives on ocasion. It is nice to have fresh vegges to buy and we do have a good Farmers Market for those folks have green houses and can control their growing. I just wanted to grow my own. But, alas it was not meant to be.

I am off to do some work that needs my attention in the kitchen. Nothing major ~ unload the dishwasher and put the dishes up.

Have a great day Magnolias
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #3  

Good Afternoon! We've had sunshine, wind, rain, and now back to sunshine again. Crazy weather! I feel like the hamster running in the wheel. Spent the morning making my menu, checking recipes, and going to both grocery stores. This is NOT my idea of a vacation! I haven't even started to pack but all the clothes are clean. We went to Sioux City yesterday afternoon to get kitty litter (I think Sonny does a happy dance in his box and flips litter far and wide) at SAM's Club, then picked up Beth and the kids to head off to Ian's game. It was a late game, but he had 3 hits and made it home twice so was a fun game. It was after midnight when we finally got home.

Maggie -- With the cents off for gas at the one store, I got $1.61 today. That's good for 30 days so I can add to it when we get home if need be. There was an extra 30 cents off because I filled out a questionnaire in the store. It's a good thing you are computer smart and can teach a new computer what to do. That will never happen here! The cottonwood trees around here are finally dropping their little puffs of fuzz.

"Gma" -- I'm glad Fortune is eating! I'm sure your dil will enjoy her bracelet; a nice gift idea. I dated a guy in high school whose small town school consolidated with mine. There everyone called him Richard or Rich, but when he came to my school he wanted to be called Dick. We have a John/Jack at church and I can never remember which he likes to be called as his checks have the other name. on another 2#s gone! I hope it works out that you can visit your sister over the 4th.

I need to get back to my chore of getting ready to leave tomorrow. My heart is not in this little escapade. Hope you all have a nice weekend!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #4  

Good morning to you all. It is pleasant this morning and we have spot cleaned and are ready to do the front room carpet. We are Law and Order fans and on Sat and Sun morning we watch reruns so Jack wants to finish the one currently on before starting the shampooing. I can do it, but his manliness thinks he is better at it so who am I to wrestle it from him!

I didn't sleep particularly well last night so I imagine a nap is in my future today.

Jean: Congrats to Ian for good ball playing. Jack has already started putting together his clothing for the cruise. I have started a list for things we need to remember, like taking clothes to dry cleaners, buy bonine for me to take to help with the motion sickness, etc. As I remember something, I write it on the list then it will go on the "master" list. We are still deciding whether to take an extra day coming back as we drove straight home from Indiana and it exhausted us. We are taking 3 days to go down to Florida, and two to come back but are thinking of staying an extra night so we aren't so tired when we get home. Hope you have a nice time in Minnesota.

Maggie: I am going to be making meatballs today for spaghetti and meatballs tomorrow. Sounds like you had a good dinner. When Jack's dad was alive, he was Jack, they called my husband Jackie, and we call our son Jay. Jack's dad passed away and Jack is now Jack, we still call our son Jay, and then there is Jackson, which was my fathers-in-law legal name.

Well, I better get ready to help Jack and unload and reload the dishwasher. Have a great Saturday. Faye
Old 06-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #5  

We have arrived! Sunshine and 81 degrees! We drove through hard rain -- I even asked Bob if we should go back home and check the basement. Hopefully it won't get any wetter than it is. It's supposed to be nice all week until Friday. I was NOT organized this time; next year I've got to do better! I've got pizza for supper so need to get it going so the guys can go fishing!
Old 06-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Saturday Evening

I have a new computer and am in the process of trying to transfer some things from my old one and it is not an easy task since it is running so slow but I will persevere and get it done. I'll post later.
Have a great evening.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #7  

Happy Father's Day! It sunny and nice though a little breezy. Guys are out fishing while we made a trip to the grocery store for items we forgot. Otherwise nothing planned for the day.

"Gma" -- Jason and Ian's coach came up with a plan to get Ian to swing the bat. He would do fine at practice but seemed to freeze when facing pitchers at the game. If he gets one hit he gets a mini blizzard, two hits is a small, etc. food talks with Ian!

Maggie -- Hope the new computer is set and ready to go! Fun for you!

I need to copy a recipe before I forget. Have a great day!
Old 06-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #8  

Good afternoon, ladies! 85 degrees and sunshine - but thunderstorms on tap for this evening and the next 3 days.

Friday we had a terrible storm. Thousands were without power, trees down and many inches of rain. My yard man came yesterday and cleaned up my yard which was a mess. We had a tree down across the street so no one could go out until they came and cut it up - luckily Friday night.

Yesterday I had a machine applique class with a renown quilting teacher Jane Sassaman. One of her quilts is in the 100 best quilts of the century (last century). It was so much fun and I learned a lot. She was very inspiring. I'll post a picture of my quilt when I get it finished. It has to be done by the first Thursday in July.

Today was my day to do all the floors in the house - either vacuum or mop - and clean the bathrooms. I always chuckle to myself because I have 3 bathrooms for one person. One doesn't get used so it's more of a dusting. running the water in sink, tub, shower and flushing the toilet to keep everything working. Next week I'll be starting to clean carpets.

I'm in a "clean out" mood so when the Disabled American Veterans thrift store truck comes the 24th they are getting 2 end tables, a typing table, a vacuum cleaner (works good if you don't have long haired cats), 2 printers with replacement cartridges, a Singer sewing machine , 3 bags of clothes, 2 boxes of kitchen things. And I still have a week to round up more. I am tired of having so much stuff. Then I'm going to go through my fabric stash and organize it once more and get a box ready to take to the donation table at quilt guild. I have fabric I bought years ago that is not to my taste at all any more so it is going. I also have duplicates on a lot of sewing implements and I'm going to pass some of them along as well. Casper has been there every step of the way supervising me and making sure I don't give away his toys.

Faye, its good to have you back with us. I'm sorry Fortune isn't feeling well. Do you have that refrigerated dog food at any of your stores. He'd probably scarf that down when you don't want to cook.

Jean, will you be going to the Mall of Americas while you are on your vacation...or have I remembered that totally wrong. I always end up forgetting something. Yesterday I forgot the Shir-Tailor I need for class and had to run home to get it. Luckily I had enough time so I was back before class started. I like Ian's reward for hits...nothing like Dairy Queen. Unfortunately I have one within walking distance from my house but I haven't been there in 3 months.

Maggie, any more baby buffalo? I sympathize with you getting everything back to your new computer having just gone through that myself. Now that I'm used to it, I really like Windows 8 a lot.

Happy Father's Day to all your husbands and sons. Have a wonderful evening.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #9  

Susan -- I wish you could come help me sort and pitch at home! This kitchen has lots of cupboards and drawers but nothing is organized. I think people bought things when not being able to find something and then left them here. There are lots so multiples scattered in all the drawers. The oven is a sight with burned stuff on the bottom. Sonny follows me around hoping I will find his toy balls. They have slits in them and when he gets tired of playing hockey, he carries them around in his mouth. He is a funny cat. Enjoy your squeaky clean floors! No, we're not going to the mall as we are a couple hours (?) north of there. St. Cloud has a nice mall with new-to-me shops so we shop there a couple times during the week. They have a huge new Penneys store that was under construction last year so am anxious to see that too.

Last edited by Jean; 06-16-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #10  

I just found an amazing website where you can take courses from colleges around the world for FREE.

https://www.coursera.org/courses

I just signed up for a 6 week course in Nutrition from the University of California at San Francisco.

They offer courses in all kinds of interests. I'm really glad I found this.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #11  

Good morning to everyone! It is already hot and sticky this morning so the ac is going and I am getting started for the day.

Jack asked me to make chicken and dumplings again so that is what we are going to have again. He ate three portions last time and ask me why we didn't have them more often as he loves my chicken and dumplings. I told him everytime I make a menu I ask him if there is anything he would like and he always tells me no so I do not read minds.

Down another lb!

Jack went to Firestone, which is where we get all our car stuff done and paid $46 for an oil change with a coupon. I was really irked about it and looked at a previous oil change. They went up $2 on their oil filter and $15 total on their oil. I understand our oil changes costing more as Jack has always put a premium synthetic oil in our Mariner, but durn, $17!!! On top of that they did a battery test and suggest we get a new battery so this weekend we will shop for a new battery. I am not paying the $160 plus they want to put in a battery when I can get a duralast at Autozone and they put it in, same number of years warranty and it would cost me $114.

I have my doctor appt this week, but I hate to even type it, I have had no bleeding of any sort since the 11th so am keeping my fingers crossed there. Last time this happened though, I went to the drs and the next day started up again. Hopefully, that is not what is going to happen here.

Jean: You all have a great time in Minnesota. Hope you can find some deals at Penneys. They are in so much financial trouble they have big sales all the time. I actually like Penneys though I can't buy there for myself clothing wise. I had to at Ian and his batting. Wonder if he sees the pitcher as a big blizzard????

Maggie: Hope you get your computer all up and running correctly.

Susan: Thanks for the college classes link. I was afraid you would get some of that awful storm that came across the country. Some people really got whacked by it. My dd is making a dress and it has raglan sleeves and she was griping about them on FB this morning. She finally has had enough time to play with her new sewing machine. Her husband and son are at camp together so she has the house to herself.

Well, time to get going on chores and get a shower. Have a great start to your week. Faye
Old 06-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! Have made one trip to Target and the mall today. Bath & Body always has a sale this time of year so I stocked up on my favorite body cream and foaming soap. We are grilling turkey fillets for supper so I will make cheesy potatoes and cut up fresh fruit to call it good. Kind of feel like all we do is eat! We've had a nice sunny day so far.

"Gma" -- I did find a couple tops at Penneys this morning. I needed something a little better than t-shirt type tops for the church office and/or casual meetings, but not too dressy. One is light weight sweater material but will be fine with air conditioning; the other two are cotton prints. Good luck with your doctors appointment.

Hope you all are enjoying a great day!
Old 06-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Default Monday Monday

It has been a horrible couple days trying to get this new computer to co-operate. I was on the phone with a teck for over an hour last night and again this day and she cleaned out a bunch of things on it that don't belong that were causing trouble. Asked me if I had downloaded them but they were downloaded before I bought the thing. Someone in the store evidently played a trick on it and downloaded some not so good things on it. She was able to search them out and delete them on the most part. I am certainly going to tell the manager of where we bought it what happened. It wouldn't even stay connected to the internet so I couldn't get in here to post or receive my mail on this computer. Got that straightened out now somewhat so here I am. I am not here for long though to post individually. This Windows 8 is certainly different and takes some learning.

Type at y'all later
Old 06-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #14  

Good morning to you gals. It is cooler in the house so must be a bit cooler outside this morning. We did get rain yesterday so maybe that is why. It is still going to climb into upper 80's though.

Fortune is eating his homemade dog food just fine. I used a lb of gr sirloin, 2 cans of beets, 2 cans diced potatos and 3 eggs. I mushed the veggies together in the food processor, then cooked the hamb and the eggs together then mixed it all together and bagged it. I can hear the clink of his tags behind me so that means he is eating it as the clinking is his tags hitting his ceramic bowl. I am going to buy several new foods to try him out on including the refrigerated ones. This is worse than the kid who will only eat chicken fingers or something!

Maggie: I would be plenty angry if I bought a new computer and it came junked up. They would be replacing it with a new one not just cleaning it out. Hope you get it completely up and running. I think I have windows xp on this computer.

I guess I better get to chores for the day. Have a good Tuesday all. Faye
Old 06-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #15  

It's another sunny day in MN. The guys have caught a few fish but they are either too big or too small to keep. Poor Barney, the dog, fell into the lake jumping from the boat to the dock. We went to Kohl's this morning while the guys shopped at Gander Mountain for fishing stuff. My "mom" treated us to lunch at Olive Garden. This afternoon has been a lazy one reading and sitting outside. It's not my night for the menu, so have no idea what we are having. I have a feeling we will be hauling food home with us!

Maggie -- You have my heartfelt sympathy in dealing with the computer glitches! I would have had to haul it back to where I bought it, being as clueless as I am.

"Gma" -- Glad Fortune is enjoying his homemade food! Do you use a recipe from the vet or make up your own? Did you get all of your chores done?

Hope you all have a nice day!

Last edited by Jean; 06-18-2013 at 04:58 PM.