Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-13-2013, 05:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 331/320/250

Height: 5ft 5ins

Default Overwhelmed

Hi,

I'm coming up to 9 weeks now eating healthy and for the most part i have been ok. A few slip ups where i have not been totally on plan but i have to say the past few days i have just felt overwhelmed. I have lost 9 pounds so far and i know that may not seem a lot seeing as i am in my 8th week but i have come a long way in 8 weeks. I suffer with severe clinical depression, OCD, Anxiety, Social phobia and a lot of physical problems too. Diabetes, arthritis, back pain & knee problems. I never used to get dressed all day and i would sit in front of the tv. I did some light housework but it was only a little and i was exhausted after that. I now get dressed every day, i do my housework and i do my dinner and cook the tea a couple of nights a week too. I exercise every day for 10 minutes (all i can manage at the moment) and i eat healthier. So i have changed things a lot but i just feel like i have hit a brick wall and i feel so overwhelmed. It makes me want to cry because although i know i have done well in the back of my mind this voice keeps saying you could have done better. And i keep saying to myself you need to get your game face on and do even better in the next 8 weeks. I have just put so much pressure on myself that it's left me feeling so fed up and it's making me feel so so depressed. I have not come to this section of the group because i didn't want to confront the fact i am dieting with depression (i don't really know why to be honest). But i need help and i don't know what to do, i just feel like crying and never stopping.

Last edited by BuffyInSunnydale; 06-13-2013 at 05:12 AM.
BuffyInSunnydale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #2  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

You are doing fantastic!

Don't take it 8 weeks at a time, take it a day, or an hour at a a time. Celebrate your victories as you make them! If you can get through an hour you can get through 2, and then 24, and 48 etc!

But don't stress! You got this!
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

When I started, I was only losing 1 lb per month, and when I complained to my doctor that I should be able to lose more and he scolded me, reminding me that even at my size, losing even one pound a month would be a feat that few people accomplish consistently. Just by not gaining back the weight loss you are beating the odds.

Think of that - even if you never lose another pound, your success will be extraordinary just by sticking with it.

We've been taught that 2 lbs per week is the average weight loss, but it's not - average is losing a few pounds and then giving up and regaining. Anything more than zero is amazing success. Recognize and be proud of that success and focus on one pound at a time, or even one-tenth if you have a digital scale.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

You are doing so amazing!!!

You have so many victories to be proud of!!! (big, small...doesn't matter. They're victories, be proud of every single one!)

Always remember it is worth it, YOU are worth it!!! On the days where I am ready to just throw my hands in the air and give up, I cling to that statement because deep down, I know it's true. The struggles I face now are nothing compared to the struggles I would face if I kept going down the same path I had always done. So whenever I face that wall that says "stop here, why continue?", I just knock it over and keep moving forward.

Keep up the awesome job! 9lbs is fantastic, and I know you'll continue to see more as you keep working towards your goal!!
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

You are doing just fine. If you think you could have done better, try to do better going forward. Something that helps me is to chart my weight loss (but you could do it with any metric, like exercise minutes or servings of vegetables eaten per day, whatever motivates you) When I start feeling down about my progress, I look at my chart. It has its ups and downs, but the general trend is down. It is right there in black and white that I have made consistent progress. Sometimes it helps to get out of your own head.
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Hi Buffy!

I was missing you in the 300+ area so I went looking for you. Glad I found you. Everyone has given you great advice. I think it is something we have to remind our selves. If we have not given up, that in itself is great progress. On days when I feel like I "should have accomplished more" I find something that weighs how much I've lost and carry it around. It gets heavy fast. Weight loss is complicated when we have so many other things going on. Hang in there Buffy you are an important part of this community.

Ubee
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #7  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

Weight loss is complicated for sure! We tend to live and die by the scale and what it says. The truth is, the scale is not the only nor the most accurate gauge of progress or health. For instance, I gained two pounds on the scale this week, but lost a pants size. So I weigh more, but look and feel better.

But I get it! I have been trying to get out of the 270's for over a month!!!
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 234/see ticker!/150

I have depression, anxiety, and OCD as well. And I feel low a lot of times too. But honestly what I've learned is you absolutely can not let any and I mean ANY negative thoughts enter your mind at all. No matter how hard things get at times. For every negative thought you have during you journey think of 3 positive things to over power that one ugly negative.

Today i gained 4 lbs, when 2 days ago I was 1 lbs away from hitting my 30lbs lost mark. I balled like a baby. But then I realized that 4 months ago i was not even able to fit clothes i like. I didn't give up then so why should i do that now?

Continue eating healthy, move as much as you can. Nothing good happens over night. Like my mom always tells me, "believe it or not, time is your best friend"
CannaBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #9  
Slender Nerdess Inside...

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'0"

I'm with CannaBliss on this. I decided to splurge a little earlier in the week and ended up going from 157 to 165 in 2 days. I wanted to cry. So I sat myself down and decided that I would take it one step at a time to get back on track. Sometimes you just need to look at everything you've written down to see what is working and what isn't, redo your plan and continue.

Each 10 minutes of exercise is a HUGE accomplishment. Each meal that you make is the chance to make good decisions. Take a deep breath and take it one pound at a time. Celebrate each and every time that scale goes down even .2 because that is .2 less on your body. Always remember YOU ARE WORTH IT and you are losing weight for YOU and YOUR HAPPINESS. Keep your chin up and keep up the awesome job!!!!
tehshort1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #10  
Leaving PCOS In My Dust!

S/C/G: 272/Ticker/150

You're doing an awesome job!! It's so easy to lose sight of all you have accomplished and end up concentrating on "I should have done this" or "why didn't the scales move today" or anything else negative when reality is you have done an extreme amount of positive changes in your life to get yourself healthy. Try to remember why you started losing weight and all the positive outcomes it will have for you and bit by bit it won't seem as overwhelming And best of all, remember you aren't alone and we're all here to support you through the ups and downs
Rosalitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #11  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Sometimes you have to tell that little voice that is talking that way to SHUT UP. I know this because I have to do it. Even if you have to scream out loud SHUT UP then do it! (Yes I have done that too)

Sometimes when negative thoughts come in I do something to distract myself, something as simple as whipping out a game of solitaire on my phone. I can't tell you how many MILLION games I've played. And my therapist said it was a great idea. As time has gone on, I have played it less and less.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote