Calorie Counters - eeeek i only ate 300ish calories in a day!?

Alyssa Autopsy
06-11-2013, 11:25 PM
(from my calorie log)

6/9/13
breakfast: 2 mugs coffee- 50
snack: skipped
lunch: skipped
snack: skipped
dinner: 1/2 cup spaghetti squash(42) with 1 tbsp sauce(15), 3 turkey and spinach meatballs(75), 1 cup lightly buttered steamed veggies(25)- 157
snack: 2 slices bacon, 1 box raspberries- 180
total: 387
exercise:
notes: oh dear god that is a low calorie count

my appetite problems are seriously doing bad things to me. i don't know how long i can go on eating under 1000 calories a day (today's count is 532) before i get sick or something.

does anyone have any advice on HIGHER-calorie yet healthy foods? i like steak but it's pricey, and i'm on a no-carb (except from fruits and veg) diet so i can't start eating peanut-butter-and-banana sandwiches on whole wheat bread (*drool* i haven't had one of those in so long) even though it's higher calorie without being TOTALLY unhealthy... i mostly seem to eat fruits and veggies that are low-cal, even though i add butter that doesn't add many calories.

i also don't eat potatoes(tho sweet potatoes are okay), legumes, or dairy products except the heavy cream in my coffee. no noodles. i'm just new to this dieting thing really, you can see when i started dieting in my sig, and i thought the key to weightloss was lo-calorie but now that i can barely eat, it's backfiring on me.

anyone have any advice? =/

tapifish
06-11-2013, 11:37 PM
You definitely want to up your calories not only will your weight stall but your missing out on vital nutrients....maybe eat a higher calorie dinner on your lower intake days....

luckymommy
06-11-2013, 11:47 PM
I don't know how to increase your appetite in a healthy way. Why not make a smoothie? Mix milk (or milk alternative) with a banana, strawberries, a bit of vanilla, and almond/cashew butter.

Make some burgers and eat them protein style. Instead of using a bun, you just wrap it with lettuce. Combine that with veggies such as tomatoes and that will help you absorb more iron.

Make a salad with olive oil....it's nutritious but calorie dense.

Make some guacamole. A whole avocado, mix in some lemon juice, salt, garlic, cilantro (if you like) and some olive oil will help make it higher calorie.

Alyssa Autopsy
06-12-2013, 12:18 AM
You definitely want to up your calories not only will your weight stall but your missing out on vital nutrients....maybe eat a higher calorie dinner on your lower intake days....
its hard when the highest-calorie thing in your house is a 97% fat-free turkey burger *sweatdrop* and i think i need more calories throughout the day i just can't seem to eat with this damn appetite loss. but i AM taking vitamins so hopefully i don't become malnourished.

Alyssa Autopsy
06-12-2013, 12:19 AM
I don't know how to increase your appetite in a healthy way. Why not make a smoothie? Mix milk (or milk alternative) with a banana, strawberries, a bit of vanilla, and almond/cashew butter.

Make some burgers and eat them protein style. Instead of using a bun, you just wrap it with lettuce. Combine that with veggies such as tomatoes and that will help you absorb more iron.

Make a salad with olive oil....it's nutritious but calorie dense.

Make some guacamole. A whole avocado, mix in some lemon juice, salt, garlic, cilantro (if you like) and some olive oil will help make it higher calorie.i do use olive oil on my salad. also i'm allergic to avacado unfortunately. and ive had the burger-on-lettuce thing, it's good but makes a mess, i'd rather make taco salad by seasoning ground turkey and putting it in with my salad.

as for the shakes, i tried making one the other day with raspberries and almond milk and it was horrendous.

Candeka
06-12-2013, 01:27 AM
I know that after I exercise I am way hungrier. Maybe do some cardio or strength training and see if that increases it.

ValRock
06-12-2013, 01:41 AM
Fat has more calories per gram than carbohydrates and protein do. Add coconut oil, avocado, and olive oil to all your foods.

Good advice about exercising, too! Your metabolism may need a kick start.

Alyssa Autopsy
06-12-2013, 02:02 AM
I know that after I exercise I am way hungrier. Maybe do some cardio or strength training and see if that increases it.i keep not exercising.... i have no excuse really, i mean i do have health problems but i should at least be doing some light stuff like wall pushups.... i just have no motivation.... can't seem to get myself to do it for more than a week at a time...

Candeka
06-12-2013, 02:05 AM
i keep not exercising.... i have no excuse really, i mean i do have health problems but i should at least be doing some light stuff like wall pushups.... i just have no motivation.... can't seem to get myself to do it for more than a week at a time...

Well that's something you'll probably want to focus on. Not only will it be good physically for you, but maybe it will get you to eat more. Two birds with one stone.

Alyssa Autopsy
06-12-2013, 02:10 AM
Well that's something you'll probably want to focus on. Not only will it be good physically for you, but maybe it will get you to eat more. Two birds with one stone.

i used to exercise before these damn meds
now i don't wanna do anything
i used to write and draw and needlepoint, don't do that anymore
used to just take off on my bike and ride for hours, now i have my heartrate at 195 after 1/2 a mile....

Candeka
06-12-2013, 02:13 AM
I hate exercising too but I just get up and do it. Once i'm out the house, I just force myself to keep on running/walking. The hardest part is getting started.

Alyssa Autopsy
06-12-2013, 02:35 AM
I hate exercising too but I just get up and do it. Once i'm out the house, I just force myself to keep on running/walking. The hardest part is getting started.hardest part for me is finding exercises that don't cause me pain or an elevated heartrate. 195 after 1/2 a mile is not normal. even walking hurts, even with expensive insoles. and i can't do yoga, tried it, hurts like ****... i think i need my meds changed, because i used to walk everywhere and not mind and now i really just wanna sleep all day. my grandmother said she doesn't like how i've changed, too.

Sheena82
06-12-2013, 03:11 AM
Try sticking to foods high in healthy fats when you arent able to eat much, i usually eat a small avocado and 28g of walnuts for breakfast which will come in at just over 300calories by theselves.

FiftyFive
06-12-2013, 05:58 AM
Eggs!!!! One egg is 80-90 calories and you never eat just one... unless they are hard boiled!
I follow a low carb diet my Dr prescribed for my IR and I eat a lot of eggs, for breakfast they are great scrambled with a little olive and hard boiled eggs are good snacks, easy to make and to take places...

Sheena82
06-12-2013, 06:30 AM
Can you lift weights and do squats etc? If it helps i hate exercise and tend to start and stop, i don't know what health problems you have but you could keep your heart rate down a bit by lifting till you are able to get cardio in. Having said that i'm allergic to cardio and frankly have been sitting on my arse for the last week. Sunday is my cut off point for getting back onto it. Katrina is right, starting sucks but it gets better. Also when i started exercising, everything hurt, i literally couldnt walk up and down the stairs, pushed through it and it stopped aching so much.

Is there any reason why its hurting? Flexibility? Shin splints? Sore muscles? Some of thats normal and improves, callanetics is quite good for flexibility and there are modifications as well!

Valrocks got a point, if i'm light on the calories i add in a bit more oil or nuts to my diet. Its working for me! Also if you are having a problem with eating could you try something like a protein shake, dont do it myself but it might help!

Alyssa Autopsy
06-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Can you lift weights and do squats etc? If it helps i hate exercise and tend to start and stop, i don't know what health problems you have but you could keep your heart rate down a bit by lifting till you are able to get cardio in. Having said that i'm allergic to cardio and frankly have been sitting on my arse for the last week. Sunday is my cut off point for getting back onto it. Katrina is right, starting sucks but it gets better. Also when i started exercising, everything hurt, i literally couldnt walk up and down the stairs, pushed through it and it stopped aching so much.

Is there any reason why its hurting? Flexibility? Shin splints? Sore muscles? Some of thats normal and improves, callanetics is quite good for flexibility and there are modifications as well!

Valrocks got a point, if i'm light on the calories i add in a bit more oil or nuts to my diet. Its working for me! Also if you are having a problem with eating could you try something like a protein shake, dont do it myself but it might help!i dont have weights but i could do squats.... like i keep saying, i'm not motivated.

yes theres a reason it hurts. i have fallen arches, lack of cartilage+early arthritis in my knees, occasional sciatic pain, and scoliosis.

starbrite
06-12-2013, 11:24 AM
I think as long as your calorie intake does not stay so low for too long, I wouldn't worry. There have been months on my journey where I didn't feel like eating, and ate very little. Your body could be telling you something?

luckymommy
06-12-2013, 11:31 AM
You said the rasberrie smoothie was horrid, but did you put banana inside? If there's no banana, then of course it would be gross. :)

I like the egg idea...you could make eggsalad! Yum!

laciemn
06-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Well, I too struggled with health. Before I was diagnosed with polymyositis 3 years ago, I mysteriously lost around 40 lbs and quit eating, mostly. I only ate a yogurt and something else small for a long time. Although I lost weight, almost all of it was muscle mass. You aren't doing yourself any favors for recovery! You should push yourself to do everything you can, or you might find it gets more and more impossible to attain your previous levels of fitness or strength, let alone surpass that.

Get to you doctor immediately and ask him to to refer you to a physical therapist, hopefully 2 times per week. Supplement that with the exercise you can manage on your own, and what your doctor and physical therapist suggest you do. You can also look up rehabilitation exercises on YouTube. The motivation will not come to you, only continue to drain out, unless you decide to change things.

You will probably have to forget traditional "hard" exercise and start building up your supporting muscles and core muscles. A little pain is unavoidable, so work through a little pain, not too much. Don't confuse pain and discomfort. Discomfort is the only way you'll be able to get your muscles back into shape.

Silverfire
06-12-2013, 03:13 PM
One of the best quotes I have heard around these parts is:

"It's not about motivation... It's about commitment"

I understand you have some physical limitations, making it difficult to do lots of things that people have been suggesting, and your medication is doing a number on your appetite, and I can only imagine how much that sucks.

However.

I am going to try to be the lest offensive or hurt your feelings, please don't take offence! Sometimes I forget to be tactful!

I feel like, from reading your posts, you are your biggest obstacle here. Yeah, your meds are making it extra hard, but I feel like you are making it harder on yourself that it needs to be.

I don't know much about your situation, other than little tidbits from other posts and such so please correct me where I am wrong!

You currently are unemployed? That sounds like the potential for a little extra free time!

You have the internet right? If I had that extra time available, I would be googleing my face off in search of any sort of physical activities I could do. You tube every workout routine you can get your hands on, try them all out until you find something you can do without hurting, and then keep a list of things you can do and stick it up beside your computer, or tv or whatever. Look for little things you can do while sitting on the couch too, like lifting your legs up and down over and over again... stuff like that. Set a reminder on your phone to go off every half hour/hour/whatever time works for you to remind you to get up and take a lap of your house or something! Even just adding that little bit of extra movement in a day can help. In the end though, you can have all the motivation in the world, but you have to be committed to it or else what is the point?

Now for your appetite issues... I can't offer up too much help, as I have never had that problem (um, the opposite in fact lol!) But there has to be SOMETHING that you like/can afford and/are willing to eat! The eggs suggestion was good, protein is always a good plan. Watch for the big bags of almonds to go on sale! Beef Jerky maybe for a snack (higher in sodium tho.. :( )
Do you like edamame? I really like to add that to my salads to bulk them up a bit. Eating low calorie foods is good, but not eating enough calories is bad! So, if you eat less frequently, you should be looking for the higher calorie (while still healthy for you) foods! Sounds like the perfect opportunity to have a bit of dark chocolate and some dried fruit maybe!

You will get it sorted out. I am sure of it. Good luck :D

Candeka
06-12-2013, 03:29 PM

I understand you have some physical limitations, making it difficult to do lots of things that people have been suggesting, and your medication is doing a number on your appetite, and I can only imagine how much that sucks.

However.

I am going to try to be the lest offensive or hurt your feelings, please don't take offence! Sometimes I forget to be tactful!

I feel like, from reading your posts, you are your biggest obstacle here. Yeah, your meds are making it extra hard, but I feel like you are making it harder on yourself that it needs to be.

I don't know much about your situation, other than little tidbits from other posts and such so please correct me where I am wrong!

You currently are unemployed? That sounds like the potential for a little extra free time!

You have the internet right? If I had that extra time available, I would be googleing my face off in search of any sort of physical activities I could do. You tube every workout routine you can get your hands on, try them all out until you find something you can do without hurting, and then keep a list of things you can do and stick it up beside your computer, or tv or whatever. Look for little things you can do while sitting on the couch too, like lifting your legs up and down over and over again... stuff like that. Set a reminder on your phone to go off every half hour/hour/whatever time works for you to remind you to get up and take a lap of your house or something! Even just adding that little bit of extra movement in a day can help. In the end though, you can have all the motivation in the world, but you have to be committed to it or else what is the point?

Now for your appetite issues... I can't offer up too much help, as I have never had that problem (um, the opposite in fact lol!) But there has to be SOMETHING that you like/can afford and/are willing to eat! The eggs suggestion was good, protein is always a good plan. Watch for the big bags of almonds to go on sale! Beef Jerky maybe for a snack (higher in sodium tho.. :( )
Do you like edamame? I really like to add that to my salads to bulk them up a bit. Eating low calorie foods is good, but not eating enough calories is bad! So, if you eat less frequently, you should be looking for the higher calorie (while still healthy for you) foods! Sounds like the perfect opportunity to have a bit of dark chocolate and some dried fruit maybe!

I second this^^^

ValRock
06-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Also, the only way you're going to get your heart rate under control is to engage in regular cardiovascular exercise. Your heart rate is high because your body isn't used to moving. You need to ease in and improve your heart health!

joefla70
06-12-2013, 04:14 PM
hardest part for me is finding exercises that don't cause me pain or an elevated heartrate. 195 after 1/2 a mile is not normal. even walking hurts, even with expensive insoles. and i can't do yoga, tried it, hurts like ****... i think i need my meds changed, because i used to walk everywhere and not mind and now i really just wanna sleep all day. my grandmother said she doesn't like how i've changed, too.

Are you talking about meds that are prescribed by a doctor? Or are they weight loss supplements that you are taking on your own? Either way, I think you should consult a doctor about it if it causes you pain and/or severely elevated heart rate when you do any form of exercise.

seize the day
06-12-2013, 04:32 PM

However.

I third this! ^

Silverfire
06-12-2013, 05:23 PM
I found some links that may interest you (5 minutes of googling)

A pinterest board with exercises for those with limiations. Knees and scoliosis included! http://pinterest.com/maddier88/exercise-with-conditions/

http://www.bcf.nhs.uk/docs/9149_2855536313.pdf?_ts=1&_ts=1

here are some things you can try to help your fallen arches (http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/health--injury/fallen-arches---exercises-for/72311.html)too!!

Sheena82
06-12-2013, 05:36 PM
I third this! ^

4th it!

Sheena82
06-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Alyssa If it helps we could start an exercise accountability thread and invite members to log what they've done for the day? The site is for advice and mutual support so we can post exercise (or lack thereof) to help encourage each other? Everyones at different levels, you arent going to see me running a marathon anytime soon but every bit counts right?

seize the day
06-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Alyssa If it helps we could start an exercise accountability thread and invite members to log what they've done for the day? The site is for advice and mutual support so we can post exercise (or lack thereof) to help encourage each other? Everyones at different levels, you arent going to see me running a marathon anytime soon but every bit counts right?

I think this is a great idea for everyone. It's hard to get on board with exercising, especially with limitations, but I think most/all of us 3F people are willing to do what we can to support each other.

kaplods
06-13-2013, 11:37 AM
I know how hard it is to exercise with pain and mobility/flexibility issues, but if you aren't active the pain and stiffness only get worse, until you end up on bed-bound on disability.

That's where I was 8 years ago, and while I can't work yet, I'm no longer unable to leave my home and I don't spend the day in bed, and I can prepare my own meals and do some of the house chores.... things I couldn't do 8 years ago.

Physical activity may be even more important than weight loss for health, general well-being, and possibly even longevity. Eating healthfully also may be more important than weight loss as well.

Luckily, if you commit to increasing physical activity and to eating a variety of healthy foods in healthy amounts, the weight loss will follow.

I started with a step-counting pedometer, and made a game out of trying to "beat" the previous day's step-count, even if by only a step or two.

Writing the step-count on a calendar every day, helped me see my progress.

On 300-400 calories a day, you won't have energy to do much of anything. Even your appetite may improve if you stop skipping meals. Before adding high calorie foods, you may want to try eating and moving more throughout your day.

None of this is easy or everyone would be active and at their ideal weight.

alizarin
06-13-2013, 12:21 PM
From my experience, those low calorie days happen, and even a week or two or a month of them aren't a big deal - as long as you're not consciously letting yourself go hungry, your body will pop back out of it, and it'll demand more food on its own when it wants it. If right now your body (and really your body, not your weight-loss focused mind) tells you to only eat very little, that's ok. It'll come around, and tell you when it's time for some more energy as well.

Just give it time. Don't sweat it :)

Alyssa Autopsy
06-13-2013, 01:41 PM
Are you talking about meds that are prescribed by a doctor? Or are they weight loss supplements that you are taking on your own? Either way, I think you should consult a doctor about it if it causes you pain and/or severely elevated heart rate when you do any form of exercise.i'm not taking any weightloss pills, all they do is decrease your appetite and i really don't need to be eating less than i am... it's meds prescribed to me by a doctor. i went to my pharmacist and asked her to look up if any of my meds have the side-effect of lack of appetite and she literally said "A few of your prescriptions have that side-effect" so i'm looking into getting my meds changed but that won't be ahppening for a while, my APN is out and the covering APN can't drive to me like my normal APN can and i can/'t drive so i have to wait til July, possibly August.

Silverfire
06-13-2013, 02:30 PM
That seems like a long time to wait to get your medication sorted out :(

Is there no public transit where you live?

kaplods
06-13-2013, 02:56 PM
Most medications list nausea and loss of appetite as potential side effects, and in most cases the effects are temporary. If the meds are relatively new to you (if you've been taking them less than six months), it's likely that your appetite will recover.

If you can eat, but just don't want to, the solution may be to eat anyway, to keep your energy up. VLCDs (very low calorie diets - those significantly and consistently lower than 1000 calories) can cause all sorts of health issues, from the annoying (such as brittle nails or hair loss) to serious and even deadly (such as immune dysfunction, gall bladder problems, and even cardiac damage).

If you find it difficult to eat because off nausea, forcing yourself to eat may or may not be successful.

A day or even a week of "too low" probably isn't going to be a big deal, but the longer you avoid eating, the more likely you are to experience side effects such as hair loss.

For many people, hair loss, ironically is often more disturbing than the more serious and dangerous effects. Even moderate calorie restriction can cause hair loss, but with diets under 800 calories, the hair can come out by the handfuls, even leaving visible bald spots.

I usually feel nauseated in the mornings (this was true even as a child) so I try to make breakfast something I can sip or nibble on gradually. My natural inclination is to skip breakfast, but I have more energy for everyday tasks as well as exercise if I spread my calories evenly throughout the day.

merilung
06-14-2013, 08:22 AM
I know how hard it is to exercise with pain and mobility/flexibility issues, but if you aren't active the pain and stiffness only get worse, until you end up on bed-bound on disability.

^^ THIS. I also have arthritis, and regular exercise is the primary difference between feeling normal-ish and literally not being able to get out of bed on my own in the morning.

My husband also has scoliosis and fallen arches and has done much, much better with minimalist shoes. They can be expensive, so that might not be an option for you right now, but he would prefer to workout barefoot than in high priced trainers with fancy insoles at this point - minimalist/barefoot exercise has done wonders for his pain levels and mood. YMMV, of course, but it could be something to look at.

As for higher calorie foods, I like making smoothies with banana, almond butter, almond or coconut milk, and raw cacao powder (you can also use regular unsweetened baking cocoa, but that's not what I have on hand) - tastes like the world's best chocolate milkshake and is about 600 calories a serving. We also mix cacao powder and almond butter together to make a delicious dip for apples.

Do you have issues digesting larger amounts of dairy? If not, you could consider adding more heavy cream and lots of butter or ghee.

I'd definitely replace the turkey burgers with ground beef, which will be higher in calories. Beef jerky is easy to make yourself if you don't want added sodium.

Dates are SUPER high in calories - like over 100 calories a pop - and it's easy to eat 4 or 5 at a time!

cantgetenoughchoc
06-14-2013, 07:39 PM
I'm having the same issue! Today I had 3 meals and I got to 700 calories! I even had a chocolate as a treat. I just have a lot of salad and veg with my meals. But still... I thought that's what you did on a diet? Obviously not. I've been like this for a few days now, I'm worried that my body will go into that starvation mode. Even tho I don't feel that hungry. I've been off uni this week so I've been sat around all day... I'm not burning anything and so I think that's why I don't feel the need to eat as much. I'm gonna try and be more active tomorrow... even if your joints are sore and exercise is hard, just try being up early and moving around a bit more?

Alyssa Autopsy
06-18-2013, 02:05 AM
That seems like a long time to wait to get your medication sorted out :(

Is there no public transit where you live?

closest bus stop is about 10 miles away
and i can't afford taxis, i took a taxi home from a town 20 minutes away from me once because the person who was supposed to be the designated driver got drunk and i DO NOT get in cars with drunk drivers... and the fee was $38. that's without tip.

Alyssa Autopsy
06-18-2013, 02:10 AM
Most medications list nausea and loss of appetite as potential side effects, and in most cases the effects are temporary. If the meds are relatively new to you (if you've been taking them less than six months), it's likely that your appetite will recover.

If you can eat, but just don't want to, the solution may be to eat anyway, to keep your energy up. VLCDs (very low calorie diets - those significantly and consistently lower than 1000 calories) can cause all sorts of health issues, from the annoying (such as brittle nails or hair loss) to serious and even deadly (such as immune dysfunction, gall bladder problems, and even cardiac damage).

If you find it difficult to eat because off nausea, forcing yourself to eat may or may not be successful.

A day or even a week of "too low" probably isn't going to be a big deal, but the longer you avoid eating, the more likely you are to experience side effects such as hair loss.

For many people, hair loss, ironically is often more disturbing than the more serious and dangerous effects. Even moderate calorie restriction can cause hair loss, but with diets under 800 calories, the hair can come out by the handfuls, even leaving visible bald spots.

I usually feel nauseated in the mornings (this was true even as a child) so I try to make breakfast something I can sip or nibble on gradually. My natural inclination is to skip breakfast, but I have more energy for everyday tasks as well as exercise if I spread my calories evenly throughout the day.
ive been on the meds about 2.5 years now

and i kinda wanna eat, kinda don't, but my body itself just doesn't seem to handle food well. i eat childlike portions because when i eat a lot i feel like spewing, both voluntarily and involuntarily. 2 eggs with mushrooms made me feel so sick i had to lay in bed for half an hour before i stopped feeling so damned bloated.

and i know the side effects of anorexia, ive been eating disordered for 18 years. i have 2 heart problems from it. thats why im so upset that im undereating so greatkly, i don't wanna further damage my heart or start damaging other organs,.

BettyBooty
06-28-2013, 07:33 AM
What happened between March and June? Looking at yout food logs from march, you were eating pretty well.