Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #1  

Default "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall-great true story--and motivation for runners

This book was my favorite of all time regarding running. A true story--of Caballo Blanco--along with an Indian tribe in Mexico that no matter what super runners they're put against always managed to win--(in their homemade--rubber tire sandals) ha.ha. Like the Leadville 100. Anyway for a great motivational book for all the runners on this board this should be it. It's really a great inspiration for anyone who exercises--not just runners.

"Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall

Last edited by Kscott; 06-11-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

I'm about a third through this book - I need to finish it! I started it a few months ago but have since put it down to read other things (liiiiike re reading Harry Potter for the 10th time )
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/142/135

Height: 5'4"

I LOVE that book! You know Caballo Blanco died not too long ago, right? Sad

I was especially fascinated by the Persistence Hunting chapter. I had no idea we could do that! And the man vs. horse races, where sometimes the man wins! There was so much interesting info in that book. Glad to read this post
KindaSortaAthlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #4  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I actually just bought that book recently, but haven't had a chance to read it yet.... I bought "Eat & Run" by Scott Jurek and "Findind Ultra" by Richard Roll at the same time (Damn You Amazon! and your "one click" ordering... lol...) so I'm just finishing up "Eat & Run" which I really liked... So I'll definitely read "Born to Run" next...

It's funny I been feeling kind of "blah" about my running lately, so I thought few books like those would be just what I need to get me motivated again...especially since I need to start my training soon for my next marathon...

I've actually run an Ultra... well, a "baby" ultra anyways... I did a 50K (31mi) race a few years ago... And even though it was pretty tough... It actually was pretty amazing... and it was actually a bit easier than some of the marathons I've run... And I'm hoping to eventually do a "real" ultra someday... so a 50 miler... But to be honest... I don't know how anybody runs a 100 miles or more in a day... That is definitely beyond my imagination at this point... But hey, who knows...? Maybe someday...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

I have started to read Born to Run at least 3 times and can never make it through the first half. I hear it`s such a good book but darn I fall asleep as soon as I start within 2 pages of reading... I want to read it as everyone says it`s to great but just can't...

I have read "Eat & Run" by Scott Jurek and could not put that one down...

TripSwitch, congrats on your "baby" ultra... 50 miles, THAT is beyond MY my imagination
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #6  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
I have started to read Born to Run at least 3 times and can never make it through the first half. I hear it`s such a good book but darn I fall asleep as soon as I start within 2 pages of reading... I want to read it as everyone says it`s to great but just can't...

I have read "Eat & Run" by Scott Jurek and could not put that one down...

TripSwitch, congrats on your "baby" ultra... 50 miles, THAT is beyond MY my imagination
Thanks! but it was a 50K not 50mi, so just a little bit over 31 miles... But it definitely was an "ULTRA" to me... lol... I am hoping to do a 50 miler someday... maybe as soon as next year... we'll see... but I don't think I could ever do a 100 miler like all those hardcore ultra runners... I just can't even imagine what that takes... although I do always like to say "never say never..." so who knows... right?

Oh, and I couldn't put down "Eat & Run" too...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote