Chicks in Control - How do you stay away from fast food?

gingercat
06-11-2013, 02:39 PM
That is my main problem. Driving by Taco Bell on my way home from work. I have started going a differant way home! How sad is that? Because I will literally get enough food for 2 people and binge when I get home. Then feel horrible. I never did this before. I don't know WHAT has happened to me. The last 5 years of my life have been full of stress and depression. And I have turned to food to fill me up.

Any tips on what to do when you feel like you are going to crawl out of your skin if you don't binge? It makes me really feel out of control. I hate it.:?:

And is it just me or does every other commercial on tv seem to be about FOOD?

KoriHallelujah
06-11-2013, 02:48 PM
I'm a huge fast food binger. Instead of trying to eliminate it fully from your diet, you need to focus on picking healthy things when you do allow yourself to go there and not just say screw it and get enough for two people. There are a lot of things that can be made calorie-conscious on the taco bell menu. Check out the Fresco menu. You just can't allow yourself to get whatever you want. It's the hardest thing in the world when you're stressed, but you can do whatever you set your mind to.

Usually I find working out helps me sort through my emotional stuff enough to not binge badly, but sometimes the eating disorder takes over and I can't help it. Challenge yourself to 10 days without binging, and take it one day at a time.

redE2losewa8
06-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Hey,

I have that problem too but I remember what motivated me to keep on driving by...its not worth it! Fast food is evil and is what is making us FAT and UGLY!!! Just think how hard you have to work to burn off all that greasy food. And, its also causing your body to age faster. Don't give in to what is your worst enemy...its what got us all here in the first place.

EAT FRESH!!! ~SUBWAY :carrot: :cb:

Ijustcant
06-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Your job must be a little trying or stressful.
I say that, cause the only time I ever felt like I had to stop and get something to eat after work every day was when I was working in an extremely stressful environment.

I used to no lie, get a fully loaded Chicago style Gyro every day after work.
When I stopped working that job the cravings stopped.

Obviously you can't quit your job.
However subconsciously you seem like you feel you have to reward yourself after a days work.

So what kinds of junk food do you like?
I'm being serious here.

I'm not going to give you some advice like, "carry veggies and ranch dip with you" cause most of the time when you want something you want something that tastes good, and is flavorful.

So why not substitute for now.
Instead of going to Taco Bell go to the gas station on your way home.

Think about your average Taco Bell order.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kwcvmeGx3K1qazex8.jpg

Soda, burrito with sauce, and a side maybe.
Well the Soda and the burrito is 1000 to 1500 calories right there and the sodium is off the charts crazy.

Now substitute that with a small bag of plain lays chips
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uI6NcLacAKs/UD2Cw8qrO7I/AAAAAAAABmk/-p2CaziJUEk/s1600/lays-classic.gif
and a bottle of powerade.

Your looking at 500 calories at the most vs 1500 to 2000 Taco Bell calories(do not want)!

KoriHallelujah
06-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Subway is full of chemicals, equally as bad as Taco Bell. Don't eat chips if you want a burrito, you're just going to eat the entire bag of chips and still want the burrito.

I've been in eating disorder recovery for a year now. Just find a meal you'll be satisfied with that doesn't put you into a catatonic binge state afterwards. Make easy switches. Beef for Chicken, get rid of the cheese and sour cream (*you can make anything on the menu fresco, it replaces the cheese and sour cream with pico de gallo), and instead of getting cheesy potatoes or that extra taco, grab a side order of beans and rice to fill you up.

Also, I'm not sure if you're using the term "binge" facetiously, but as someone with bulimia, I can tell you now that my binges are enough for eight people, not two people. Are you using the term just to explain that you're overeating?

joefla70
06-11-2013, 03:13 PM
I used to do the same thing as you. Heck, I would go to the drive-thru of multiple fast food places to get food in addition to buying enough food for two people.

The only answer I have is that I was finally ready to give up the junk fast food. Once I was ready to do it, I've been able to stay away. I must say that it was harder at first and then got easier.

I do still eat fast food, but its not from places like Taco Bell or McDonalds. I will go to places like Boston Market (for the turkey and chicken) and Pollo Tropical for the grilled chicken.

I was hesitant to mention Pollo Tropical because they are mostly in Florida. But I checked and found that there is one in Laurenceville, GA. I probably go to Pollo Tropical 3 or 4 times a week to get their boneless grilled chicken. It is SO much better than the so-called "grilled" chicken you get at other fast food restaurants. Unfortunately they don't serve veggies, so I usually get a double order of salad with it and get the dressing on the side. Sometimes, if I am too lazy too cook dinner, I will buy some of their chicken and serve it with some microwaved steamed veggies that I make when I get home.

gingercat
06-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Yes - my job is SUPER stressful. In fact - since I started working here I have put on about 50 pounds. I work in medical property management and it's always "Something". Every day. And I work for a huge corporate company so that is very stressful as well. Plus I sit on my rear end at a desk in front of a computer all day.

Combo burrito - add sour cream and nachoes bellgrande. That's my go to meal. One time I got 3 combo burritos and ate them in the car on the way home. It was the first time in my life I felt ashamed of myself for food. I felt like "wow - that was messed up". And I eat it like I'm starving to death and won't have food for a month.

It's like I can't get full. I do not drink sodas at all. I only drink water or diet tea (Lipton green diet citrus tea - love it!). So atleast that is not a problem. I used to drink lots of cokes. I have stopped that. But I just feel like my body is screaming for food! It's been about a month since I have started this and I lost 5 pounds immediately then it's like my body has hung on for dear life and I'm starving all the time.

KoriHallelujah
06-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Try setting aside a night at home as burrito night and make your own so you have a legit excuse not to eat it on the other days. Even if you make a replica calorie-wise at home, you're saving yourself the chemicals.

gingercat
06-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Thank you! I did buy some fat free refried beans at the grocery store and low fat cheese to eat. But I also put sour cream in there and some doritoes. I'm trying to find some "substitues" for my fast food cravings.

I don't know if what I'm doing is truly "binging" or not. I have never been bulimic. I think I was anorexic in my past and def have depression/anxiety issues.

It's more like I have this impulsive urge to stuff my face. Sometimes I am shaking when I'm eating - it's not good. It upsets me when I do it. I have become very self conscious eating around people too. Like at work. My boss is super fit, runs, barely eats all day, etc. I will only eat if he's not around!

Try setting aside a night at home as burrito night and make your own so you have a legit excuse not to eat it on the other days. Even if you make a replica calorie-wise at home, you're saving yourself the chemicals.

KoriHallelujah
06-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Never be ashamed to eat. It sounds like some emotional overeating - have you considered a therapist? or even counting ten to one backwards slowly until the need to binge goes away. Sometimes I have to count to one from ten fifty or so times before it goes away; but it always, always, goes away.

Ijustcant
06-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Yes - my job is SUPER stressful. In fact - since I started working here I have put on about 50 pounds. I work in medical property management and it's always "Something". Every day. And I work for a huge corporate company so that is very stressful as well. Plus I sit on my rear end at a desk in front of a computer all day.

Combo burrito - add sour cream and nachoes bellgrande.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m52cj9jxGV1qdr16ko1_500.gif

Oh god. I haven't been to Taco Bell in ages!
I remember Nacho Bell Grandes used to be my favorite, especially with sour cream! I'm getting cravings!!! LOL.

The only thing stopping me from breaking a 2 year Taco Bell boycott is the fact that I KNOW they no longer put green onions(scallions) in it!

Girl I'm such a picky eater that I can't believe I've gotten so big.

Anyway try something, cause YOU and I both know that Grande ain't right.
Sure it might give you that warm itus feeling, but its not worth it.

I say substitute for the next 7 days with any non fast food meal, then tell us how that worked for ya.

joefla70
06-11-2013, 03:45 PM
I have to say, Taco Bell is VERY conducive to over eating. What you described as being "ashamed" of was pretty much my typical meal at taco bell. I would usually have a couple of the smaller chicken burritos and a larger grilled stuffed burrito. Sometimes I'd be too full to eat all of it, but I would always have enough food to make me completely full. Most of the time I would eat past the point of being full.

Speaking of low fat substitutes, have you ever tried using Fage 0% (no fat) Greek yogurt as a sub for sour cream? I do that all the time.

QuilterInVA
06-11-2013, 04:46 PM
I eat lots of protein, no simple carbs, and lots of veggies. I'm always full and satisfied.

freelancemomma
06-11-2013, 07:05 PM
I've never binged on fast food. I don't enjoy the artificial taste, and all the cost-cutting fillers they add dilute the flavour and coarsen the texture. When I used to binge, it was always on the highest-quality, most interesting, most "foodie" type of foods. Needless to say it became an expensive habit. The "benefit" was that gourmet foods are harder to get than fast foods.

Can you develop a bit of a "food snob" mentality? If you become discriminating about quality and refuse to overeat unless you get high-quality taste for your buck, it may help with the binging. Just an idea to consider.

F.

xiaobaicai
06-12-2013, 03:00 AM
I absolutely agree with freelancemomma. I've had episodic binges in the past, but they were never on fast food -- for the same reasons as she states.

It sounds elitist to say this, but developing a more discriminating sense of what tastes good and is worth eating could very potentially curb your binges, if only because they'll become prohibitively expensive. When I was younger, I was not concerned with aesthetic appeal in foods. Now I am, and it keeps me away from the general lot of junk food.

Lassilsa
06-12-2013, 12:16 PM
I used to binge on fast food a lot. There weren't any Taco Bell's around, but there was plenty of other restaurants in its place. What finally made me stop was saving the money I would use for buying food at a fast food restaurant for two weeks.

So, for two weeks, I made all my meals at home and refused to even spend a single cent on any fast food. I tallied up what money I still had in my wallet against what I normally would have and found I had an extra $213 sitting pretty in it. I was spending over $200 on fast food every two weeks. Fortunately for me, my frugality, beats my binge eating habits senseless.

To break binge eating, its about finding something that works for you. For me, its the fact that it cost too much to binge. For some, they start to do yoga to help with stress, others literally tell themselves no. Not just think No, but audibly saying No to themselves. Apparently it works better to say it than to just think it.

Also, about the commercials, you should start trying to point out faults instead of thinking that looks good. Try looking up, food commercial tricks. It will make you see those commercials in a completely different way.

luckymommy
06-12-2013, 12:24 PM
What helps me with binge eating is cutting out processed foods and sugar in general. I try to avoid things like tortillas, bread, pasta, white potatoes, pastries, etc. I have found that cutting them out (for the most part) has helped me with cravings.

Working out also helps me put my head on straight.

Preventing hunger and avoiding alcohol helps me think rationally.

Counting calories is a biggie for me because it just doesn't allow me those types of foods....unless there's a low cal menu at the fast food place.

Intermittent Fasting helps me a lot because I have a smaller window of time when I can eat the same amount of calories and gives me that full feeling I like. It took some getting used to but it has been tremendous this time around.

Chewing gum. I still get cravings every night...that's my time when I want to inhale the house but I just have gum. I know it's not healthy but it sure is better than the out of control feeling of a binge and, of course, the sick feelings afterwards (physically and mentally).

Drinking enough water and getting enough sleep. The first one is easy for me to do but the sleep thing is a tough one. I'm NOT a good sleeper and being sleep deprived definitely increases my cravings.

If you must drive a different route to avoid the fast food, then there's nothing wrong with it. If an alcoholic drives a different route to avoid a bar, that's to be commended and I feel the same way with this scenario. Eventually, you'll be able to drive by Taco Bell without stopping by but it takes time so give yourself a break.

zoesmom
06-12-2013, 12:27 PM
I found that staying away is a lot easier if you are educated. Pull up the menu and look over the nutritonal values. Memorize what is "diet friendly" and make a point to only order that. That way you can indulge guilt free. After a while, that will be the only thing you order as you are on auto-pilot or, you will avoid the place as you are getting burnt out of the same thing over and over and over again. For me? I got burnt out. :lol: I haven't walked into a fast food joint in over 8 months now at this point. I can only eat so much grilled chicken wraps without the wrap before it is beyond boring :)

seize the day
06-12-2013, 12:36 PM
I used to stop at Tbell or some equivalent fast food place almost every day coming home from work. My methods to stop doing this (Also, heads up, sometimes reading lists of advice on dieting etc. can be triggering for people with EDs, so if you have an ED and feel like this might trigger you, please skip the list!):

1. Take a different route home. See if you can find a route with less tempting food items.

2. Make a trade. Allow yourself to have a reasonable amount of the "bad" food, and then require yourself to go for a long walk/have a long workout

3. Order what you want to order, eat half of it and take the rest home to put in the fridge. The next day, go straight home and eat the fast food in the fridge from the day before.

4. Keep your home/office/bag stocked with food that mimics the food you crave: ie. if you crave Tbell, make a taco salad with fresh ingredients to bring to work for lunch. Keep salsa and quacamole around for snacks (I eat them with peppers, because I am low carb but if you can control how many chips you eat, you could try portioning reasonable amounts of tortilla chips too).

5. Tell yourself that you don't want it. Tell yourself that it's disgusting and full of fat and chemicals. Read up on the business and nutritional practices of the fast food places that you are most drawn to. Focus on the disgusting and unhealthy nutritional practices and then tell yourself you don't want that in your body, and you don't want to associate with a business that has those practices.

Stay strong, you can get past this!

Desiderata
06-12-2013, 12:44 PM
I'm with freelance and others. Make an effort to learn just what you're eating when you go to Taco Bell. It's revolting. Yes, it seems to taste good - because it's been engineered to manipulate you.

Some site claims that the Nachos Bell Grande has 125 ingredients. Look up all the chemicals that are unfamiliar to you, and see if it still sounds appealing. Here's one example, from here: http://www.tacobell.com/nutrition/ingredientstatement

NACHO CHEESE SAUCE*
Nonfat milk, Cheese Whey, Canola Oil, Modified Food Starch, Cheddar Cheese (Cultured Milk, Salt, Enzymes), Maltodextrin, Natural Flavors, Contains Less Than 1% of: Sea Salt, Jalapeno Puree, Potassium Phosphate, Vinegar, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Lactic Acid, Potassium Citrate, Sodium Caseinate, Citric Acid, Color Added (Including Yellow #6), Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Cellulose Gum. CONTAINS: MILK

Nonfat Milk, Cheese Whey, High Oleic Canola Oil, Corn Starch-Modified, Cheddar Cheese (Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, and Enzymes), Maltodextrin, Natural Flavor, Salt, Jalapeno Puree, Dipotassium Phosphate, White Distilled Vinegar, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Lactic Acid, Potassium Citrate, Casein, Sodium Phosphate, Citric Acid, Annatto Extract, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Cellulose Gum, FD&C Yellow 6. CONTAINS: MILK

Mute or look away from the TV when food commercials are on. Like Lassisla said, it's fake. They'll smear plastic objects with petroleum jelly so you see them glistening. Don't fall for their illusions.

I get this this stuff tastes good, but it isn't food. You deserve real food. You should be angry that they lie and manipulate you. Don't reward them with your money, and don't disrespect your body with fake food-like product.

atmos
06-12-2013, 12:45 PM
I don't know if what I'm doing is truly "binging" or not. I have never been bulimic. I think I was anorexic in my past and def have depression/anxiety issues.

It's more like I have this impulsive urge to stuff my face. Sometimes I am shaking when I'm eating - it's not good. It upsets me when I do it. I have become very self conscious eating around people too. Like at work. My boss is super fit, runs, barely eats all day, etc. I will only eat if he's not around!

If you have the means to do so, you might consider getting some treatment (like therapy) for these urges and thoughts. Especially as you feel you have had disordered eating in the past.

That said, I'm going to take a slightly different approach than the other great advice you've been getting. From what you describe, it doesn't sound like there is anything specific about the fast food that is causing you to binge, but rather the environmental factors around you (i.e., your stressful job). I don't really have any advice, but I'll share my story and how I'm (slowly) overcome my binging issues.

For me, I had typical binge foods I would eat. Particularly potato chips and cheese especially, but I went through a fast food period too. The food never tasted good to me, especially the fast food, but that wasn't the point. The point was to methodically eat as fast as I could so I could completely tune out what was going on around me. It was my way to escape stress and responsibility. I didn't need to dust the living room because I was eating. I didn't have to think about someone I felt had slighted me because I was eating. I didn't have to worry about why I couldn't attract a boyfriend to save my life because I was busy eating. I didn't have to think. I didn't have to think at all.

I still binge, but with much less frequency and in much smaller amounts than I used to do. The first step was to recognize why I was doing it, which was to avoid facing up to all the scary, stressful thoughts...to escape it. Now that I recognize that, I'm working on facing my stressful thoughts head on and trying to learn to be happy with myself and my life and making it better, rather than escaping it.

I guess my point is that I understand what you're going through and recommend you take some time to recognize why you're turning to Taco Bell, rather than searching for little tricks to curb the urges (which never worked for me). Basically, treat the root cause rather than the symptoms.

And once again, I understand and you're not alone. You don't need to feel ashamed. :hug:

krampus
06-12-2013, 01:33 PM
I eat pretty clean but I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Taco Bell despite the weird soapy flavor and gutrot it produces.

The problem isn't the fast food, it's the behavior, like atmos mentioned. I would urge you to think about what factors are making you binge - on top of the life events and stress/depression, if you're dieting, it could very well be that focusing on weight loss and caloric restriction is spurning binge urges.

GordonGirl16
06-12-2013, 01:35 PM
I work at a Wendy's, and sometimes it's SO hard not to get that burger with extra crispy bacon and a large side of fries. And as food gets to cold to sell, we get to eat it, and those chicken nuggets are delicious! I try to tell myself that I can get one of the salads with grilled chicken after work, but even though I do really like it, that doesn't always do the trick. Every time I want something, I try to tell myself the havoc it's going to wreak on my body. And I can even see it happening in my skin - my acne gets much worse when I work there. Those days that I just can't resist I try to eat slowly, and tell myself just have a little less than I did yesterday, and that seems to help. Next time you go to the Taco Bell, try ordering your usual meal with one less item, or a different small change, like getting chicken instead of beef or not getting cheese on it. Gradually make more changes, and eventually you won't even want that huge meal anymore. If you quit cold turkey you will just end up binging again, but if you take it slowly you will be able to make changes but still get the satisfaction your body is craving.

amandie
06-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Don't feel ashamed!!! I used to stop by T'Bell, McD's, Wendy's, order pizza hut all the time.

I'm still a foodie so... What helped me stop that fast food habit slowly was to learn how to cook, mostly emulate the deliciousness of the fast food (and other comfort faves like mac-n-cheese, fried chicken, even pizza etc) yet make it healthier than their counterparts.

After a couple years now, I think I've got most of it down pat especially with Chipotle's bols- so easy and delicious! Not to mention, it's helped my wallet a LOT since I can get more bang for my buck if I make it myself. More work but worth it for me.

seize the day
06-13-2013, 11:50 AM
After a couple years now, I think I've got most of it down pat especially with Chipotle's bols- so easy and delicious! Not to mention, it's helped my wallet a LOT since I can get more bang for my buck if I make it myself. More work but worth it for me.

I am so with you on the Chipotle. I'm sort of addicted. I get the salad (no dressing) with peppers, protein, 2 salsas cheese and sour cream, and sometimes guac (I'm low carb-ketogenic, so the high fat isn't really an issue). I'm sure if I could kick this habit my weightloss goals would be more easily obtainable, but damnit, I just love chipotle.

NemesisClaws
06-13-2013, 02:00 PM
One thing that stops me cold every time is that I start thinking about all the nasty stuff that happens behind the restaurant's counter that the public are not often aware of. Really works for me....

And secondly, instead of trying to please everyone and feed them all, start exercising to work off your tension and stress. Use exercise in place of food, and only use food when you're hungry.

Wannabehealthy
06-13-2013, 10:03 PM
My husband likes Taco Bell so I have found a way to work around it. We get ours "to go" so I get 1 taco, then when I get home I make a big salad and scrape the filling from the taco into the salad. I get a little bit of the taste of the taco but am really filling up on salad.

KittyKatFan
06-13-2013, 11:45 PM
Fast food is one of my traditional binge foods. I can stay away from it when I'm eating clean, but if I binge, watch out fast food places! Strangely, I never was much of a French fry eater, but the last two binges I have been on have featured McDonald's fries and Chick Fil-A waffle fries. Strange.

Anyway, about Taco Bell. Used to be a favorite binge destination but not so much anymore. Probably because I live in south central Texas and there are two other fast food "Mexican" chains that I like better. They have become my binge places.

One of my most shameful binge moments is when I went to TB drive thru, ordered a combo meal, a steak soft taco, a burrito, caramel apple empanada, and a meximelt, and the cashier seemed to know it was all for me when he said "enjoy your dinner." It just felt like he knew I was the one who would eat it all.

Can you try just buying one burrito? And being satisfied ith that? The black bean burrito is good, filling, and relatively low in calories. Try just ordering one with a diet drink or unsweetened tea and see if you feel satisfied with just that. Tell yourself you can always go back for a second one if you are still hungry.

seize the day
06-14-2013, 11:43 AM
My husband likes Taco Bell so I have found a way to work around it. We get ours "to go" so I get 1 taco, then when I get home I make a big salad and scrape the filling from the taco into the salad. I get a little bit of the taste of the taco but am really filling up on salad.

This ^ is a great idea! I might have to steal that with Chipotle. I already get their salad, but I could probably expand on the salad part with more lettuce and fresh veggies, and split it into 2 or 3 portions.

Thanks for this tip!

TheSecondHalf
06-14-2013, 12:36 PM
You could try the gross-out method and get educated about what's actually going in that food. Don't try this unless you are really ready to be done with fast food, but there are a ton of books on just how bad the quality of food is - and I don't just mean chemicals in the food. You have to wonder how so much food can be so cheap, you know? And it's not because Taco Bell loves you and wants you to be happy.

Lecomtes
06-14-2013, 01:17 PM
A different take on the gross out method that is sometimes effective for me (not just to avoid fast food, but any unhealthy food) Warning: graphic!...all three of my sisters work in health care. They frequently work with diabetes patients whose feet are literally rotting off and have to be amputated. They see people all the time suffering from heart disease and wheelchair bound from extreme obesity. I think to myself...this is the food that leads to that kind of end-of-life experience. Morbid, I know, but it helps me see the food for not just how it tastes, but what it will do to my body.

BettyBooty
06-27-2013, 10:32 AM
I am not big on fast food (and for some reason I always get the trots from Taco Bell, ALWAYS), but fancy ice cream and gelatos were a major binge food for me. I'd buy the pint and hide in the car or the bathroom and scarf the whole thing down without my husband knowing. The only way I can keep myself from doing this occasionally is to completely avoid the ice cream aisle in the supermarket and to never shop alone. Being on depression meds helps, too, because I don't feel the urge as often to binge.

Harriette
06-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Fast food is a tough one. I am also in the group that used to eat fast food (at least a super sized meal) minimum once a day. Sometimes more. I find that having a snack with me at all times helps. If I am not starving it is easier to not go there.

I also find thinking about not spending money helps. I now carry cash around with me instead of cards and try not to spend it unless it is on veggies or something else healthy.

Today my office bought donairs. I have a lunch bar. I find if I am actually eating something, anything! I am ok.

And then if all else fails, I think about the clothes I can not wear anymore and how much I want to be thin again.

NeeneeKhaleesi
06-27-2013, 04:52 PM
I was all about the fast food binges too. So I got a party size veggie tray anc was like "I'm going to eat brocolli until I can't move, *******it." So I did and there was no room for fries. The next day I went to get another party tray and so on. The cravings for fast food have stopped. It took about a week to break the habit and I fel:hug:t satisfied longer and my weight dropped and my skin looked better and I felt better. Now, I'm still working on the over eating part but at least the fast food isnt as making everything worse.

Munchy
06-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Two suggestions:

1) I am a homemade freezer food fanatic. You can easily cook up all of your burrito meat (lean meat, lighter cheese, the onion and beans, plus the sauce), stuff and roll them in low calorie wraps (I like Ole Wellness for 90cals) and wrap them individually in plastic wrap and freeze. You will have 8 burritos at your disposal in your freezer. I like to calculate the calories and write them on the bag that I freeze them in. Warm in a microwave and even crisp in a dry pan after for a quick homemade combo burrito.

If it were me...I would probably add in 1-2 large shredded zucchinis or finely chopped mushrooms right into the meat when it cooks. I like knowing that I'm eating more veggie, plus it fills me up for fewer calories.

2) I would eat a small snack right before leaving work that tides you over for the drive. I do like tomatoes or carrots with hummus or some kind of dip, but it can be whatever you have the calories allotted for without dipping into dinner.

MAK247
06-27-2013, 11:02 PM
You mentioned you hardly eat at work, that may be a big part of your problem. I very often did and still do go for entire 8+ hour days without eating. Combine that with the fact that I almost always had a sweet tea or frappe with breakfast, my sugar would be super low by the end of the work day and I felt desperately hungry, there was no way for me to wait the few extra minutes it would take to get home and eat. It also made it very hard to make 'better' choices when I did go to the drive through.

I still almost always go all day at work without eating, but I am also avoiding foods and drinks that might give me sugar spikes so as long as I have my water I don't usually get too terribly hungry. If I do, I will usually get a yogurt or hard boiled egg on my lunch break.

One thing you might try is keeping a snack in the car to eat with a bottle of water to help fill your stomach right as you leave work. This will hold off your hunger until you can get home to prepare a meal. :)

happybug
09-17-2013, 04:40 AM
I used to get the DT's when I couldn't have take away, LOL. I needed it, needed it or I'd die, LOL. Because I had to buy it for my family I couldn't help having some too and I'd allow myself to do that, until I realised that by doing it I was sabotaging my efforts to lose weight. So when I started WW this time, take away (my trigger food) I cut out completely. It's been two months and the most takeaway I've had is a Subway foot long which spiralled me into a binge. So I've learned that take away is probably not something I can afford to have yet, but I try to have something yummy for myself on the nights my family have take away, like a frozen pizza round or a lean meat pie or avocado and ham sandwich. Cutting out take away was a necessity for me. Good on you for going the long way and avoiding it! I know what you're going through!

Mazzy
09-18-2013, 09:38 AM
I used to be a fast food binge eater. That's how I became morbidly obese. One day I just decided to stop. I think I just said no. It was costing too much, so I allowed myself to make the equivalent at home.

The thing about fast food binges is the urgency behind them. For me, it's like this intense pressure to get the food fast so I could get high without any sustained effort. Effort = pain. When I'm already in pain from a bad day at work, I'm looking for immediate relief. The food just tastes so good compared to the need behind it. Even knowing I'll be rewarded and treated is like being a happy kid again, or a princess. But why didn't I already feel like a princess?

I still binged after I stopped eating fast food and only recently learned how to stop. I learned that I was repressing anger because I didn't know how to express it properly. By repressing the anger, it's like a wall of pressure built up and the only release was self-destruction, since I didn't mind hating myself as long as no one else was mad at me. Work is like that for me...how do I push back? How do I say no? I had to learn to be assertive, so I studied assertiveness. I'm still learning, but boy does it help. You can stand up for yourself without being a bully that everyone hates. Also, I learned that food is not a good release. It's just too self-destructive. Now that I value myself more, I acknowledge the anger and do my best to find the proper place for it. If I can't figure out how to be properly assertive in the moment or there just is no choice, I will release my anger by walking or writing or talking to a friend. Or I just experience it and let it flow through me in awareness.