Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 06:53 AM   #1  
she who must be obeyed

Thumbs down Week of 6-9...WLS CHAT

Morning all!!!!! Where is everyone? I'M GETTING LONELY!

I have proven to myself that walking and exercise, really, really make you feel better.

Last Monday, my knee started acting up for the first time in a very long time. Couldn't walk except on Monday and Friday. My eating was offf a little and I just feel so sluggish. Hubby and I tried to go to the park yesterday, but many, many little t-ball games were going on and a Harley rally was forming. We couldn't find a place to park so ended up back at home doing nothing

I did something yesterday I don't think I have EVER done in my adult life Don't worry Ruth, nothing will need to be censored. I got down on my kitchen floor on my knees and scrubbed under the cabinets. I even called my husband in to see "something you have never seen before." Me on my hands and knees cleaning THE WONDERS OF WLS!!!!!!

Jiff did you have a chance to check out QVC for Stone Mountain Handbags? And........waiting to hear about your star appearance!

peachie, where are you my friend???

Chickadee any word from Kaiser?

Everyone else.......at least check in and let us know how things are going for you?

I hope your Monday is wonderful!
Old 06-09-2003, 08:27 AM   #2  

I'll try to post later....or call!

peach
Old 06-09-2003, 01:05 PM   #3  

Hey I'm still here!

I read more then type anymore as things are getting so busy! At work and at home.

John is doing great! Got the all clear at his 3 month check-up. He is doing more and more every day. We put up a wood fence this weekend. Cleaned the basement the weekend before. God only knows what we will be doing next weekend! LOL!

He is down 65+ pounds and feeling great. We have actually "exercised" together which was sort of neat. He is more of a mow the lawn type of guy then walk for 30 minutes on the tread mill guy. So he has been keeping busy doing lawn work and things like that.

The only problem he is having is he works out to much or to long and ends up feeling shaky and this past weekend ended up getting sick! So I think he will slow down a bit! Guy feels good and does not want to take a break! Who ever thought that would be a problem?!

Well I will try and post more often!

Diane
Old 06-09-2003, 10:06 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

Default sorry for having been a posting slug

too busy. too overwhelmed. now, let's see what i can say...

first, luna, great news about john. now, just remember some 'rules' as he's now buzzing around for hours. he MUST be sure to increase the water while he's working. 100 oz are not unreasonable. really and truly!11

AND be sure he's getting 15 grams of protein every 3 hours or so. especially when he's busy. it'll stabilize his blood sugar. this, and dehydration, are two major risks we face.

and trust me. i know from experience that he has to do this.

now.. onto other stuff...

not sure about the handbag. wrote the girl a note today about what she'd like, but frankly, she won't answer. she said a couple of weeks ago that all she wants for graduation is to see me healthy. and she means it. which is of course why she deserves something nice.

and lasting.

now, about the star thing. it'll be out next week, and presented at the annual meeting of the american societ of bariatric surgeons [asbs] which is june 17-19 or so in boston.

not sure where they filmed, but they did apparently visit several people in other parts of the country. but from my center, they taped melissa, a darlin 30 year old, john, a 40-ish 'tough guy' who's a true kittycat who rebuilds harleys. and nancy, who's such an inspiration to me. and MOI. they said they got more footage of me than of anyone else [maybe because i was the only one willing to do the exercise thing for them?????] but i told them they weren't allowed to use the shar-pei legs [i was dumb enough to wear shorts, too!!!!!]

and they set up a fake patient interview with mary, who run the center, and donna, who was just 3 weeks postop. and they filmed a doctor. a sweet young boy. and i gave him the annual peaches and nectarines warning as well. he was surprised that something so simple could wreak such havoc!

If anyone's doctor brings this back, and you get to see it, i'm the one wearing a hot pink shirt.

it was fun! all they did was ask me questions, and film me. They were extremely curious, in a nice, kind way, and they were amazed with all of us. first, that we'd consider it at all, and second,that we were determined to make it work.

ok. now there's more news. i have an appointment with the plastic surgeon on july 18!!!!! he's a rated top doc, and he said some very important words: LARGE VOLUME LIPOSUCTION. and 'there are some procedures that i will not do in the office because they're too dangerous to do outside of a hospital setting. so don't ask!!!'

I officially have 35 pounds to go, and then 20-30 pounds of excess skin [estimated], so it's about time to make an appt and start talking about what has to happen and when.
can't wait for the boob lift!!!!!

and i haven't been going to the gym every day. oh don't gasp in shock!!! now that the weather is better [at least when it's not pouring!!] I've been taking the mutt on at least an hour-long hike every day. it's a real nice change. much more soothing than the bike to nowhere. and she's better behaved as well. and then i go to the gym only for the weights 3-4 times a week.

and the flirtation with the french chef continues. i'm starting to ask friends to go over there to inspect him!!!

MOM IS, well, mom. she hasn't been going to exercise class, and it shows. the socialization is at least as important as the movement, and she's losing ground again.

and barb, so sorry i didn't get back to you. please forgive me. the job... well... i'm going back to the company that went bankrupt while i was in the hospital for 8 weeks in 2001. they've formed a new, more organized, more focused company, and they've wanted me back [and i've wanted to go!} for awhile. but they didn't have a spot for me. their clients are asking for more services, the kinds of things i excel at, and so, it's now time!!!! I'M SO GLAD!!!!

this last jobhas been a living ****... as we all know.

but they also hadn['t seen me since the surgery. oh, they knew that there had been a lot of change, but no one can actually VISUALIZE what a 270+ pound loss actually LOOKS LIKE until you see it.

must admit: i looked fabulous!! pale grey linen pantsuit with mandarin jacket, black shoes, red earrings. red beaded necklace.

everyone was so happy for me, with me, around me!!!! Lots of hugs and kisses. and they are so happy i'm coming back.

what else can i say? not much. this pretty much hits the high points.

Last edited by jiffypop; 06-09-2003 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:53 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Old 06-10-2003, 07:10 AM   #6  
she who must be obeyed

Good Morning and Ruth back at ya!

Jiff so glad things slowed a little for you so you could post. All I can say is........WOW!!! So many good things are going on in your life........so glad you are going back to your old company. the "star spot" sounds like it was major fun. The French Chef?? Do tell!!!

Diane so glad John is doing so well.

peachie tapping the foot here Just kidding........you post when you have the time.

I had a couple of sugar free cookies last night......not a good food choice This morning I woke up with stomach cramps........from the Maltitol? I know better!

Daughter will be flying solo to Grandma and Grandpa's in about 10 days......I'm trying very, very hard not to worry about it. Not being very successful I might add. She is 17.......but she's my baby!! The security restrictions will only allow one person to go to the gate with her and that person must be issued a pass. Hubby will be that person as I have a support group meeting that day. I promise I won't whine too much between now and than

Hazel and I hope to get a mall walk in today.

Jiff what is your thought on longer term post ops and protein drinks???

Have a good day
Old 06-10-2003, 10:50 AM   #7  
Old Cackler

just a quick fly by... deb... get over it!!!! yes, she's your baby, but she'll be just fine!!!! honest!!!! she's a lovely, intelligent, strong young woman [just the way you wanted her to grow up!!!!] and she's gotta test those wings.

as for longer term postops.. i know some of them don't use protein drinks, but others do. it all depends on how they're meeting their protein goals. i don't know of anyone who drops below 50 grams after they hit their goal/stable weight, and many of them hang around 60 grams a day. a couple of them have said that they'd prefer to be hitting 80 grams, but the only way they can do that is if they have a protein shake, and they don't want to do that.

so, what it comes down to, deb, is that i have no real idea!!!!! for me, i think when i stabilize/reach goal, i'll aim for 60 grams a day and use protein shakes if i need them. but i can actually eat 60 grams of protein a day now. the doc wants me to have at least 80 still....
Old 06-10-2003, 11:41 AM   #8  
she who must be obeyed

thanks Jiff.......for the kick in the arse and the info on protein drinks.

The reason for the protein question is, Hazel went to her surgeon yesterday and he told her to aim to get her protein from food and wean from the protein drinks. I use Hazel's info as my info, since I have NO relationship with my surgeon. And, I was just wondering what you did with the protein drinks, since our surgery dates were around the same time.

Last edited by debkay; 06-10-2003 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:21 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

well, let's ask it this way... what do YOU think you should be doing? we're also told that we should give more priority to actually eating than to the protein shakes, but if we can't make our protein goals, then we need to supplement.

i guess that's the key: they need to be used as a supplement at some point, and not a major source. i know when i'm having a bad food day that a protein shake gets me through everything so that i don't pass out.

but hazel is only a few months out.. HAZEL: what protein goals did your surgeon set for you? can you meet them without the shake???
Old 06-10-2003, 02:34 PM   #10  

pardon me while I put my sunglasses on a PB.

Jiff, your mother (and mine) has chosen not to go to exercise class because quite frankly she has more fun with me. I have been taking her out Monday-Friday to run errands and then I make lunch for her and the big kid. They play a rousing game of war where they call each other horrible names like "evil" and "treacherous" . She is ruthless (no offence ruth) Yesterday, in all honesty was not a real fun day for her since I had to do some of her heavy duty banking and had her go to the post office to sign off that all of her mail will be sent to the p.o. box that I set up for her because bills are falling through the cracks at the house. She was pretty sad about that.

The little guy is home today and I took him to the doc this am. (before picking up and running around with mom) He has skeeter bites ALL over him and I wanted to make sure they were not something funky like chicken pox.

The big kid has a night game at 7:45 tonight and I am hoping I can get a baby sitter for the little guy.

later,
peach
Old 06-11-2003, 06:52 AM   #11  
she who must be obeyed

Morning all!

Jiff as you know, I was behind the ball on the protein thing. I have been using the Nectar style of protein for about a month or so. I do one drink a day, usually after my walk. It is 90 calories, no fat, no carbs and 29 grams of protein. I think I feel better using it, but not sure if it is the drink, the exercise, or a combination of the two. For now I think I will continue to do the one drink in the AM after exercise. I just purchased two containers of the stuff, so I will finish them at the very least.

peachie, the little guy didn't have chicken pox, right?? How did the big guy's game go last night?

Well I finally did it.........went shopping that is! I purchased some girlie things, I ended up with two skirts, right above the knee and a couple shirts. I just love skirts and now since the belly doesn't hold them out so far, they look much better on me. They are very casual and can be worn anywhere. Of course daughter went with me and she came home with more clothes than I did.

So Jiff, do tell us about the French Chef!

A good day to all!!!!!
Old 06-11-2003, 05:19 PM   #12  

Hi Everyone,
It sure it quiet around here!

Deb - I'm so proud of you for finally getting some new clothes. It didn't hurt a bit did it? What I (and everyone else, I'm sure) wants to know is if your "girlie" things included a thong or two? C'mon, spill girlfriend!
Do you watch TLC? I decided (yeah, I know, who made me queen of the universe?) you and Hazel should go on "A Makeover Story". You'd be perfect candidates with your svelte new bodies. Just let me know when to tune in!

Jif - I dreamed about you last night. How weird is that? I've never even met you! I think it was the "large volume liposuction" comment. In my dream the docs unzipped your skin, and you stepped out all fresh and new ... um, kind of like a snake! Of course, you're not a snake (is she Peach?). Strange dream, but very cool! Oh yeah, I want the scoop on the French Chef too.

Peach - Hi sweet thang. That's pretty much it, just hi! Except for THE ROCKIES ROCK!. But you knew that already. If they win on the road again tonight, another round of limericks may be forthcoming! Go hide now, while you can.

Kaiser is still burning my toast. No answers, no contact, no nothing. Humph! I am trying to be good to myself and am working out four days a week. I must admit it feels pretty great. Some days it feels like my life is on hold.

And, that's about it! Later gators,
Chickadee
Old 06-12-2003, 06:43 AM   #13  

Good morning everyone! I just wanted to pop in and say hi !

Jiff my surgeon wants me to get in at least 50 gms of protein in food, and if I am doing that (which I am) not to drink the protein drinks.

I am so sad because I am not going to be able to walk today ! I have started taking my glucophage again for my PCOS, and the lovely side effects have kicked in! So I will be hanging around the bathroom today

Chickadee I think that is a great idea!!

Oh I failed a blood test my TSH levels were 0.15, so my pcp thinks I may have Hyperthyroid??? I had to do more blood work and will find out in a couple of days !! And if I do have it I will have to go back to the endo!

I sure hope everyone had a great day!

Hazel
Old 06-12-2003, 06:52 AM   #14  
she who must be obeyed

Good Morning......I just cannot believe it is the 12th of June already!!

My Mom has 4 radiation treatments left. I know she is so ready for this to be over. Her neck area is so burned from the treatments it's purple in color. She is being a real trooper in all of this, but I know she is tired of being tired.

Chickadee.......no thongs, I did have my daughter with me Maybe when I'm out alone I will pick up a pair and "flip-up" one of my new skirts in hubby's face just to get his reaction. Gosh, I hope noone I know in real life reads this.

Hey Chickadee and peachie........have you noticed how "hot" my Javy is right now! I think a vote for the All Star team is in order......please, please, please!!

Chickadee I know Hazel finally gave up on Kaiser and changed her insurance company. I hope things go better for you.

It's so funny you mention the make over story on TLC. A couple of months ago I submitted my sister and I. My sister has lost 110 pounds and the big thing is, she had kept it off! She lost the weight doing low-carb. Never heard from them.......guess we weren't interesting enough. Oh well, life goes on

I have much to do today......off to get started.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:57 AM   #15  

OOOOOHHHHH Debbie I read that!!!! And I am going to tell everyone we know!!!

Ok not really since it was my suggestion that we go check out the panty sale at Victoria Secret!!! I WANT A THONG!!! Ok I want my tummy tuck first so Paul can see it!

Chickadee I feel your pain with Kaiser (with a name like Kaiser I do believe Hitler is running things) do you have the option to change insurance???

Hazel
Closed Thread