100 lb. Club - Ultimate Goal

View Full Version : Ultimate Goal

JustB1027
06-08-2013, 07:22 PM
I have been thinking about my final weight and what it should be. Honestly I have no idea. How did you all decide? My lowest adult weight was 283. That was in 2007 and I have no idea where to go from here. BMI says anything from 110 - 140. That's a good bit of wiggle room.

Underwater
06-08-2013, 08:11 PM
I've been thinking about the same thing for the last 25 lbs or so.

I set my goal high because I wanted to feel like it was achievable. And I did achieve it. And that was on Memorial Day.

I've decided every extra pound is "bonus" weight loss and I won't be upset wherever I wind up from here. I'm on a doctor-supervised diet and will up my calories in about 2 weeks and I'll see less of a loss each week.

I would like to maintain below 155 lbs if I can. That's my new bonus goal. But if I wind up maintaining at 160, I'm cool with that, too.

I would say wait and see how you feel at an "overweight" BMI. Then see if you're able to get to "normal." But if you settle somewhere in the "overweight" BMI, I think it's okay as long as you are active and eating well :)

Nagazim
06-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Ugh, tough question for me too. I've set my goal for 170lbs since I'm pretty sure that's what I weighed when DH and I met/dated/married. In the ball park of 170 anyways. So I at least what to be there again to just say I did it. But I can remember going from 225 to 146 when I was 16 and felt fabulous. So I may shoot for the 150 area. I wore a size 3-5 somehow at 150. Guess I'm just built that way. I've also kept a skirt I wore back then and I'd love to put that baby back on. I'm pretty sure I'd hear the Hallelujah Chorus.

Mozzy
06-09-2013, 12:23 AM
I picked the high end of "normal" (from the bmi chart) it was an arbitrary pick to be honest

SuperHeroTeacher
06-09-2013, 12:39 AM
I'm far from goal, but I think about this a lot. Medifast set my goal for me at 155. It sounded good to me at the time, but I think I may want to adjust it down. I'm just not sure how far. BMI says I should weigh between 112 and 117, which is ridiculous in my opinion. I'm thinking 130ish...

Everlasting
06-09-2013, 01:05 AM
I have set 160 because I want to get below where I was before for sure, which is 170. I have no idea how far I can go... I think "normal" bmi for my height is 155 so I might go lower. My mom is the same body type as me and is 145 and looks pretty good, but she is also 2 inches shorter. I guess Im more going to lose the first hundred... then look and see what happens after that where I feel like I am easily maintaining.

JustB1027
06-09-2013, 01:05 AM
I am thinking around 125. I dont want to be thinking about because I am so far from it but you know I do!

Roo2
06-09-2013, 03:35 AM
I sat my goal and 120 lbs than once I reached it I went down.

Since in the past I have been this weight I knew it was attainable plus used the BMI and professional recommendations are useful.

Good Luck ,see you at Goal:hug: Roo2:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot

shutterbugmama84
06-09-2013, 07:39 AM
I set my ultimate goal slightly high so it felt achievable and realistic. I will reevaluate when I get there. In my early 20s I was 135 but I was very thin, I've since had two kids, my body has changed and I'm older so I think 150 would be very healthy for me.

ubergirl
06-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Originally, when I lost weight the first time around, I picked a goal of 175, because I thought it seemed reasonable, and my lowest adult weight was 150 back in my early 20s, so 175 seemed very doable. However, after more than a year on plan, back in 2009-2010, I stopped losing when I got to 186 and simply could not get any lower in spite of very low calories and a lot of running. I managed to maintain 188-192 for about a year. At that weight I looked and felt really good, but psychologically, I never switched into maintenance mindset. I always thought of myself as trying and failing to lose more. Then, when I hit a very rocky period in my life, I gained a lot back very quickly. In retrospect, I wish I had focused on maintaining in the high 180s low 190s and stopped trying to get to 160 (a normal BMI for my height)

Because of this, I have set my goal weight at a weight that is inside the overweight BMI range, but also a weight that I have had success maintaining.

I'm 51, and when I was 190 I had my body fat percentage evaluated and it was in the normal range for my age. I have excellent lean body mass, and in the 190s I look good--not bikini good-- but bathing suit good. Also, even with a 100 lb loss, I didn't see any significant problems with loose skin.

In short, I think when you have a lot to lose, it's a good idea to pick a weight that is in the overweight BMI range. Believe me, you will feel amazing if you achieve that. Then, if you keep losing past your first goal, you can readjust. I have seen lots of people on the boards zoom right down to a normal BMI, but I've seen others stall like me. At some point or another, your body picks the weight it's willing to maintain and that point is different for different people-- and age may be a factor as well.

MsModelSara
06-09-2013, 09:28 AM
@ubergirl - You have a great attitude and mindset, with that - I'm sure you will succeed :)

MsModelSara
06-09-2013, 09:31 AM
I have been thinking about my final weight and what it should be. Honestly I have no idea. How did you all decide? My lowest adult weight was 283. That was in 2007 and I have no idea where to go from here. BMI says anything from 110 - 140. That's a good bit of wiggle room.

I'd say start at the high end of the BMI range. Keep in mind BMI charts don't take into account your lean muscle mass weight. Someone that is very muscular could have a BMI in the overweight or even obese range but clearly wouldn't be considered unhealthy.

My BMI range for 5'6" is 118 - 148 and I've chosen 140 as an initial target

betsy2013
06-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Just B, I set my goal for 160 because that's what I weighed when I got married oh so long ago. However, in the back of my mind, I want to weigh 140 because that's what I weighed all through high school.

I know what you mean about thinking how long that will take -- so right now I'll be thrilled to get below 300 because it will mean that I've lost close to 100 pounds and because I haven't been there since 1990!

Your goal seems like a good one and I think it's entirely fair to change goals as we move through this phase of our lives.

tehshort1
06-09-2013, 12:53 PM
According to WW my goal should be somewhere between 106-132. I chose 130 because I have honestly never been down that low in my adult life and I have no idea what to expect. I figure as long as I can maintain 130 and hit lifetime I can themn decide if I should continue my weight loss or stay there. For me, as long as I am in the "normal BMI" range, Ill be happy. I'm more concerned with feeling good about myself and getting fit than a number on the scale. My original goal when I started out was 160 and I never thought I'd get here! Now that I've reached the "unreachable" I figure I should go for it!

JustB1027
06-09-2013, 03:35 PM
I have not been below 200 since middle school. I have no idea what I will look like at that weight !

betsy2013
06-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Considering that you look pretty darn good right now, I'd say that you might move on in to the fantastic range. But the big thing is how much better we'll all feel which makes us feel like we look good!

BASarp
06-10-2013, 09:16 AM
I set my goal weight to 130. That number scares me. I honestly (like you) have no idea what it will be like to be that weight. I might have weighed that much at the end of elementary school for all I know. I don't know how long it will take me to get there, but I know I can get there. And you can get to your goal too!

time2lose
06-10-2013, 09:49 AM
My first long term goal was to get below 200 pounds and that seemed very difficult. I thought that I would be satisfied with 199 pounds. When that started getting closer and I began to believe that I could actually get below that 200 pound line, I started thinking about a slightly lower weight of 190 or, maybe even, 180 pounds.

Then I got below 200. Part of me was thrilled that I had done it. I felt better and looked better. BUT ........ I still had so much fat that I felt discouraged. I had hit what I thought should be a wonderful weight and still was covered in fat! I think that mind set contributed to my gaining weight. Unlike Uber, I did not feel that I looked good, better but not good. I certainly was not bathing suit good. Of course, I am 6 inches shorter than Uber so that would make a difference.

This time I think that I am better prepared mentally. I am in my late 50 and I probably will never be what I consider bathing suit good. I have lose skin now so it could be very bad at a lower weight. But I have determined to judge by how I feel and what I can do, not my physical appearance.

I have set 160 as my goal because that will put me in the overweight category. I can't imagine 160 so I surely can't imagine any lower. I will worry about that when I get there!

Rosalitta
06-10-2013, 10:15 AM
I honestly picked a number that puts me borderline overweight :) I wanted something that's close to where I should be but not quite there because then I'll be able to set a new goal and reach my ultimate supreme weight :D

Issaknits
06-10-2013, 01:50 PM
I set my goal at 150 because the number seemed the most do-able from the range of weights (anywhere from 130 to 150) that multiple BMI calculators gave me. My lowest adult weight has been 210, so anything starting with a 1 would feel fantastic.

AllyG47
06-10-2013, 02:43 PM
I choose 150 because it's 15 lbs lower than the lowest weight I can remember being. I got down to 165 as a sophomore in high school and I still had quite a bit of weight to lose. Once I get down to 150, I can adjust it. I would love to lose an even 100 lbs and get down to 120. I don't know if I could even get down to that weight without starving myself and I might look too scrawny that low. I also think I might be big boned and if that's the case, 130 or 140 might be a better number for me. Anyways, I'm not going to worry about that until I reach my original goal of 150.

IanG
06-10-2013, 03:19 PM
I spoke to my doctor and she suggested 170lbs which would put me at the very upper limit of normal for my height. I'll reassess when I get there.

I am a big build so I am sure going to look skinny at 170!

JustB1027
06-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Betsy thank you. I have never felt that I was pretty or looked even remotely good. I am loving that I have a collar bone starting to show! I almost have ankles. I am excited. Thanks everyone. I am not setting a true goal yet other than 250. I guess it will depend.

kwin1973
06-11-2013, 02:49 PM
I chose 167 because that would mean I lost 150 lbs from my high weight. I would be happy just being under 200 though. Right now I'd be happy to be under 300...

pnkrckpixikat
06-11-2013, 04:45 PM
I picked 150 because the charts claim 130-170 is the range for my height and I started a bit over 300 lbs so I liked the idea of losing over half my body weight. Honestly, I can't remember a time being under 200 so I will probably be delighted with anything under that.

ikesgirl80
06-23-2013, 03:58 PM
My goals have changed throughout my journey. I'll give you a list style run down of them and reasonings. Maybe that will help you. I was 180 in middle school, so I had a similar mindset as you!

12/31/2010: Weight: 350 pounds
Short term: under 300
Long term: 280
Life Time: stay under 300

March/April 2011: Weight: 300ish
Short term: 280
Long term: 250
Life time: under 238 (lightest weight as an adult)

September 2011: Weight 240ish
Short term: 220
Long Term: 200
Life Time: Maintain 199.8 pounds (hey, it's under 200! lol)

**It took me from September 2011 to February 2013 to get from 240 to 199. But I maintained from September to December 2011 as a "break" and to "appreciate" the time and effort I took to lose 100 pounds. I also looked at it as practice maintenance, as if I couldn't maintain the loss, what was the point in pushing forward. If I couldn't maintain it, I was going to look to other solutions (surgery, being miserable, gaining a ton of weight and joining the circus (only partly joking!)).

February 2013: Weight: 199
Short term: 180
Long term: Skin removal surgery
Life time: 159.8 (just inside of the "normal" BMI for my height)

June 2013
Weight June 5th: 188
June 6th: Skin removal surgery (8 pounds of skin from stomach area and a little more from "side boobs"
Weight June 14th: 180 (still LOTS of swelling)
Weight June 15th-current: 180-183

By 8/14/2013 (start of new school year): 175-180
Then I will test my body fat percentage, and make a decision from there. At this exact moment, with some swelling still and ZERO exercise and extremely limited movement for 3 weeks now, I see a little softness around my middle, that is more than what I would prefer. But I think if I keep my calories in check, and focus on core work once I am released to, that will spring to where I want it. I can also see softness setting into my calves (lean from running) that bugs me slightly, but I keep telling myself I am not being a bump on a log from my own choice. I am under strict doctor's orders that I cannot even walk around the grocery store! I have to get an electric cart or wheelchair!

Hope this helps you!

Chris

Loch
06-23-2013, 04:06 PM
My lowest was 160, and I felt amazing then, looked good too. I decided, based on that, that I'll stick between the recommended 130 to 160. It's good to set mini goals, and realistic goals. :)

HeidiL84
06-24-2013, 10:59 AM
It's reassuring to hear other people worry about what their goal weight should be. I was asked once when was the last time I was my ideal weight and I simply said when I passed it on the way up. I've been big pretty much since I was a teenager, so the idea of being thin is kind of scary. Right now I've set my goal for 130 to get within normal BMI, but we'll see if that's doable. My goal is to be healthy and not just skinny, so we'll see where that puts me!

jm474
06-24-2013, 11:46 AM
I checked what a normal weight would be for my height with a BMI calculator. Then I picked the highest normal weight, which was 145 pounds considering I'm older (45). It's not set in stone and might change when I get closer to goal depending on how I feel. I was about 130 in my 20's and felt good. I'm trying to give myself a realistic goal because I've been obese for a long time.

Terra1984
08-06-2013, 06:05 PM
A BMI Calculator said I would be in normal weight at 136 so thats my ideal weight I want to reach