Weight Loss Support - inches

View Full Version : inches

goodgurrrl
06-08-2003, 11:31 AM
Hello all :)

I have a question regarding inch loss. When someone says they lost a certain amount of inches, does that mean inches overall (encompassing several different body parts, eg. thighs, hips, waist, bust, etc.), or does it refer to the inches lost on one specific body part (eg. waist). As well, what is a good, consistent time of day to measure yourself (early morning, before breakfast)? Depending on how much I've eaten/drank at any given time throughout the day, my stomach balloons either in or out. Also, one last Q., what is considered a healthy waist to hip ratio? I've read that for women the ideal ratio is 0.8 (calculated by dividing your waist measurement by your hip measurement); however, I'm wondering what the average real woman's ratio is (mine is more like 0.9--gasp!!).

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any replies.

Have a great day!! :)

BarbPA
06-08-2003, 09:14 PM
Hi Goodgurrrl -
I don't have all the answers for you, but thought I'd try to help - the measurement of inches is a combination of body parts - typically: waist, hips, chest, upper abdomen, thigh & upper arm. I usually take my measurements once a month in the morning. Good luck in your journey!
:)Barb

goodgurrrl
06-09-2003, 05:38 PM
Thanks barb :)

Take care.

Jane
06-10-2003, 09:23 AM
Goodgurrl,

Barb already gave you the best answer for the areas measured. In regard to waist/hip ratio - I don't think there is a correct answer to this one. Bodies are so different in shapes and if I were you, I wouldn't worry about that. Concentrate on the weight you need to lose, be sure to exercise and your genes will determine the ratio. A friend of mine has lost all of her weight through WW, exercises regularly and her waist is almost as big as her hips. That is because she is very busty and all the women in her family have this shape. She is slim, but big on top in comparision. Just be the best you can be and love yourself for it. :)

Jana

goodgurrrl
06-11-2003, 05:44 PM
Thanks for your reply :). I know I shouldn't obssess over this, but I can't help but long for a perfect hourglass figure (not this upside-down pyramid figure I'm stuck with!!). Anyhow.....

Take care :)