Living Maintenance - Maintainers Getting Slim through Summer

Pages : [1] 2

neurodoc
06-05-2013, 11:48 PM
Ok, here's the inaugural post of the newest "5-10 pound" weight loss thread. Here's to all of us seeing our goal weights again by August.

Mudpie
06-06-2013, 06:35 AM
And here's to enjoying :D all summer has to offer while we try to lose those lbs.! I plan to eat fresh berries, corn on the cob, :drool: BBQ, lots of new salads from my salad book, etc. I'm going to kayak, SUP and bike :bike2: whenever I can, go to two open art shows and a couple of music festivals, see some summer blockbusters, and just hang out in my backyard with my cats. :beach:

Now if only the $#*& weather would co-operate! :p

Dagmar :sunny:

BillBlueEyes
06-06-2013, 06:45 AM
Welcome summer! Welcome summer thread!

I intend to have a watermelon instead of a birthday cake - taking into account neurodoc's post about its calories, of course.

saef
06-06-2013, 09:56 AM
I'm going to try to trust that I've fully adapted to my new job, and, like a surfer crouching on a surfboard, let myself stand upright and ride the waves. I'm going to actually schedule vacation in the next few months and take my hard-earned time off, rather than carrying it over into the next year and risking losing some of it.

And I'm going to continue my exercises in loosening up my rigidity and opening up my life.

bargoo
06-06-2013, 10:07 AM
I bought strawberries, blueberries and bananas yesterday. I never have trouble getting enough fruit it is the vegies I have trouble with. It seems like they are such a nuisance to prepare before you can actually eat them. Now, fruit, wash and go !

alinnell
06-06-2013, 11:19 AM
I eat plenty of vegetables, but have trouble fitting in the fruit, and all this talk of watermelon is making me want some. I did buy a melon assortment--including watermelon--and it'll be part of tonight's dinner.

Off to San Diego for the day. DH and I are going to the Pacific Builder's Show at the convention center. Long drive for something I consider a tad boring, but at least I'll be away from work. It can be extra boring when DH isn't in the office.

krampus
06-06-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm OK with the scale # and want to focus on fitness. Looking to spend a lot of time outside this summer. I already look much better in a swimsuit than at this time last year which is great. I feel encouraged after a nice long run yesterday and an insatiable craving for...salad.

JenMusic
06-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the new thread, Andrea!

I find I'm needing to step away from the number on the scale for a bit, as well as my focus on "restriction." Both of those things have messed with my head the last month or so, and I think contributed to some of my overeating episodes. I'm still going to count calories, but I'm going to stay closer to 1300-1400 per day instead of the 1200-1250 per day I've been sticking to. I need to remind myself that a consistent 1400 per day is better than 1200 a day for the weekdays, then 3000+ on the weekends. :)

My big goals for the summer are to change habits. Specifically:
- Social situations do not always call for excess food and drink. In fact, they RARELY do.
- No more "pattern binges." Those are just a habit, at this point.
- I miss writing in my journal and on my personal blog. I used to do that a lot more, and that was a really nice creative outlet. I want to do that more and build up a new habit.

My thoughts for this rainy Thursday!

Mudpie
06-06-2013, 04:33 PM
I would like for it to change from November to June please. Then I can actually start getting interested in salad recipes, instead of wanting to bake cookies (I have become a fan of a reality show where people bake) and then crawling into the still warm oven.

BLEAGH!

Dagmar :( :brr: :crazy:

freelancemomma
06-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Ok, here's the inaugural post of the newest "5-10 pound" weight loss thread. Here's to all of us seeing our goal weights again by August.

For me it's gotta be by July 13, when we're having relatives at our cottage. That gives me just over 5 weeks. I'd like to lose about 5 pounds, so it's doable.

Freelance

Mudpie
06-06-2013, 05:53 PM
I just want to get down under my redline (135 lbs.) by a couple of lbs. and stay there. I will make my target date July 22 just because that happens to be when we take possession of the new house.

Dagmar :dizzy:

lin43
06-06-2013, 08:58 PM
I'll be visiting my family down south July 10 - 20, so I would like to be 4-5 lbs. less by then. I'm in!

JenMusic, I have to ask, what is a "pattern binge"?

- No more "pattern binges." Those are just a habit, at this point

JenMusic
06-06-2013, 11:16 PM
Lin - The "pattern binges" are what I've decided to call the recent overeating times, when I was eating out of habit (as opposed to emotional stressors, which happens at times, too). They almost always follow the same pattern:

- There's always a social event involved, be it dinner with the bf, or a group of friends, or even just meeting at someone's house.
- Somewhere along the line, I stopped actively making a plan for these situations, so AFTER I get somewhere and see all the delicious food, I start to make poor choices.
- I may have a beer or a glass of wine. If that happens, look out.
- If there is sugar in the vicinity it will go in my mouth.
- I will decide I've totally blown it for the day, so I might as well keep eating.
- Finally, if I leave the social situation and am still feeling like I want to keep eating, I've been known to stop for ice cream. For real.

So yeah, there's the pattern. Specifics might change but my thoughts are mostly the same: I don't plan at all (even planning to overeat would be an improvement), I decide I've blown it, and just start eating junk. After the conversations we've been having here on 3FC and the books I've been reading, I really do think these times are mostly just habit at this point, ingrained behavior, and I need to actively break the habit.

Which leads me to . . . . tonight! :) Some friends were meeting at a local brewery for a tour and tasting. I knew this was going to be a danger zone, but I planned and stuck to the plan.
- Filling snack before we met.
- 3 small beer pours at the tasting.
- When everyone else wanted to do dinner after, I went and had a cup of soup. Bonus - the soup was maybe one of the yummiest things I've had in a while. Very spicy green chile with a little ground pork.

Completely on plan and under calories for the day, but even more, I proved I can do this. I used to do this all the time while losing weight, I just have to get back to that mindset - not deprivation, but also not a total free-for-all.

Shannon in ATL
06-07-2013, 12:58 AM
Jen, that soup sounds amazing. Was it the new brewery that opened downtown? And I agree - patterns patterns patterns.

I've had a terrible week. Working catering all week, so driving everyday to Norcross which should be one of the levels of h e double l. 28 year old friend had a mini stroke on Tuesday so DH was at the hospital all day. MIL thinks her cancer is back and was refusing to find d a new doctor that takes Medicare -I finally called her old doctor and begged. Planning a baby shower for 50 on Saturday - hard. Today the honoree couple had to put their dog down - stomach cancer. DH picked DSS up from camp today and he was vomiting and sick - Again. Hadn't eaten all day, nothing since some milk and a handful of cheerios this morning. Back to catering tomorrow, then cooking for shower. So I had ice cream for dinner. Patterns.

I need a break. Before I have a breakdown.

Shannon in ATL
06-07-2013, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the new thread, Andrea!

Mudpie
06-07-2013, 06:33 AM
:hug: Shannon a big :grouphug: to you.

Dagmar :(

JenMusic
06-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Oh, Shannon, that all sounds so rough. I can sympathize with some of your struggles, but I do know exactly what that commute to Norcross is and it is the WORST (did I ever mention my bf lives in Tucker, near Stone Mountain? Yeah, and I live on the westside and teach at KSU. Miserable.) Atlanta traffic is enough to give me a stroke.

I hope you're able to get that break as soon as possible. For your own health and well-being. :(

ETA: It was Monday Night Brewing, off Howell Mill. A fun way to spend $10 and some time with friends in the summer!

BillBlueEyes
06-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Sending supportive thoughts to Shannon - that's a lot on your plate.

bargoo
06-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Jen, that soup sounds amazing. Was it the new brewery that opened downtown? And I agree - patterns patterns patterns.

I've had a terrible week. Working catering all week, so driving everyday to Norcross which should be one of the levels of h e double l. 28 year old friend had a mini stroke on Tuesday so DH was at the hospital all day. MIL thinks her cancer is back and was refusing to find d a new doctor that takes Medicare -I finally called her old doctor and begged. Planning a baby shower for 50 on Saturday - hard. Today the honoree couple had to put their dog down - stomach cancer. DH picked DSS up from camp today and he was vomiting and sick - Again. Hadn't eaten all day, nothing since some milk and a handful of cheerios this morning. Back to catering tomorrow, then cooking for shower. So I had ice cream for dinner. Patterns.

I need a break. Before I have a breakdown.

Shannon, I got tired and stressed just reading this post. Promise me that when all this is done you will only do what is necessary. When did you last hace a vacation ?

alinnell
06-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Hugs Shannon! You'll get through this.

As for me, DH and I were in San Diego yesterday and found a nice restaurant for lunch. We each had a different panini with a side salad and swapped sandwich halves so we could sample both. Do you think the ciabbata bread could have been the culprit in a 1.6 pound gain over night? Granted I had a glass of wine with lunch, but no other alcohol the rest of the day and we had a pretty healthy dinner (breakfast for dinner). It was really distressing to see that number on my scale this morning. Planned 45 minutes on the treadmill this afternoon.

WardHog
06-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Shannon, you poor thing. I am also stressed just reading that. BTW, if you ever find yourself in Norcross with a little extra time, we should get together. We could work out (or not).

I am in for this 5-ish pound challenge. I need it to be gone before we go to see DH's family on July 26. I have fallen back into my old pattern of restricting during the week and free for all the whole week-end. So I put on 5 pounds and then get rid of it, only to repeat it the next week. Frustrating!

lin43
06-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Jen, thanks for explaining. You seem like you did great at your latest social outing, so good for you!

Shannon, it seems like you had a horrible week! Why do so many stressful things have to happen all at once?? I hope all is calm for you soon.

krampus
06-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Shannon, I am packaging up a bundle of strength and some fairy dust that will help share some of the stress load. :\ Hope "R&R" is in your future.

Shannon in ATL
06-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Thanks guys! I swear, I feel like I've been moving from crisis to crisis with no gaps for close to a year now. I can't remember the last time I took a vacation other than some days off around Christmas which really didn't count with all the driving and wrapping and prepping. November of 2011 I think? We cancelled our anniversary trip last year to pay back some debt. Though we did take a few days off around there I think, it's a blur. I was supposed to take some time off around my birthday and ended up only getting a half day Wed afternoon and then Thursday morning until around 1. Worked long days driving to Athens and downtown that whole week. I have a week booked off in November. It can't come soon enough, and I may have to take a few days before then.

Oh, and my 81 year old grandfather has to have surgery next week, if they can get his blood pressure down to clear him. Just found that out. Uncle undergoing chemo had a bad reaction to treatment two days ago and his whole body broke out in hives, we are catering a party for him on Sunday (combining work and personal there, I've been coordinating his job this week in catering) and I hope he is up for it. It always hits at once, doesn't it?

Ward - I'll not likely have any time this time around, but I have to come back over this way in a couple of weeks for an audit where I set my own times instead of running to the catering schedule. I'll let you know when it is and we can try to connect.

Jen - ouch. That drive from west to KSU is bad enough, add in Tucker/Stone Mountain and it is crazy making. I'm going to check out the brewing company, that sounds cool. And we need to try to grab some coffee (or a run!) sometime, too. Maybe if I make plans to run with you and exercise with Ward I'll actually do it. LOL

Allison - does ciabatta bread have a lot of salt? Or maybe the oil in the panini press? I know I generally uptick after a panini, but never thought about the component reasons.

Back to the booking computer. I'm trying to get out of here at 2 this afternoon to get my last few things for the shower, and I have PhotoChik coming over to help me cook tonight. Or more accurately, she will cook and I will chop and run errands. LOL Luckily she was willing to help, as none of the honoree couples friends stepped up.

Back later, hopefully calmer. :)

Shannon in ATL
06-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Oh, I do have some good news. Paid off another credit card this month. And opened a new bank account so am finally away from the bank that kept getting hacked and spammed and fraud notices. Progress! :)

silverbirch
06-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Photochick? That's a name from the past! Hope she's doing well. I should move to Atlanta - you've got quite a node of 3FCers there.

Progress is poor here. Multitasking.

ICUwishing
06-07-2013, 01:41 PM
May I climb back on board the loss train? Seems as soon as I set my redline, I jumped back over it and have been yo-yoing just above, since about March. I figured that starting to train for the 10-mile would move the needle back down - nope. I'm definitely moving more than I did before (a positive), and firming up spots that were jiggly ... but it's becoming very clear that I need more aggressive actions to address my insulation layers. :D Time to fire up LoseIt again!

shannon, oh gosh, you have had your turn in the wringer! :crazy: :dizzy: Wishing you peace among the chaos!

bargoo
06-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Becky, you are always welcome.Maintenance can be a bumpy road, fortunately there is no expiration date , you can always get back on board.

traveling michele
06-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Jumping in too.....

Houston with dd was great but traveling is always exhausting. Everything accomplished though-- she met her future employers, took and passed her teaching exams, found an apartment, looked at cars, and explored the area (we looked at healthy restaurants/ options so she continue on her weight loss quest). Of course our return flight was majorly delayed so we got home in the middle of the night Thursday and I had to work Friday. Then when we got home the power was out and stayed out most of the night. It's back on today (it's 106 now so maybe the outage was heat related?) but I've yet to unpack, grocery shop, etc.

Dd leaves tomorrow so I'm trying to have some fun with her and younger dd today. Dd joined me for bikram yesterday and today-- she's come a long way to even be brave enough to try it-- I'm so proud of her!!

We had a healthy lunch and are off to see a movie soon.

Dh returns again from China on Monday so I really need to clean the house before he gets home!

Hugs to you Shannon!!

My goal? Get back under my redline and stay there!!! I don't think I gained in Houston-- not sure as I never trust post-flying weights-- but we exercised and ate healthy the whole time-- I wanted to show dd it was possible there!!

neurodoc
06-09-2013, 10:44 PM
Stopped eating at 1250 calories [again] today and am currently fighting with myself to avoid eating anything else. Listening to my inner voice alternately cajoling, wheedling, demanding and pouting "it's not fair" all in an effort to get me to stuff a bunch of sweet carbs into me. I'm doing my best to maintain detachment, understanding that it's just a habit without any basis in biology, but it's hard. Both "Brain Over Binge" and "Ditching Diets" say that after a couple of days/weeks of practicing the skill of "letting the hungry voice just talk," it either disappears entirely (BOB) or becomes way easier (DD). Wrong, I find it just as challenging now as I did a month ago. Doesn't make it any easier when I've been nearly perfect with food (1200-1300 cal/day) for the last few weeks and have once again bounced back up to 126.

ICUwishing
06-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Began logging again with breakfast. I went a little nuts this weekend knowing that Monday was on the horizon, so I start my decline at an artificially inflated 154. And it feels every ounce of it. I did notice that good ole TOM is also preparing to pounce midweek, hooray, yahoo. It's a setup that should give a nice boost downward for next week - IF I do what I know I need to do!

CherryPie99
06-10-2013, 10:14 AM
I know that this is something that each person has to determine on their own, but I was wondering if some of you would share with me how you determine your "red line".

When I went to the doctor (late last summer) and then to the nutritionist, they both told me that 120-125 was a good weight for me. I told them that I was aiming for 115-119 and they both said that this was fine.

Next month will mark 1 year since I hit my goal of 119. Since then I've done a lot of bouncing around. I have never really been able to get to 116-117 and stay there consistently. But it is fairly "easy" (not really but I think you all probably know what I mean) for me to stay around 120-122.

I think I could live with that, but I have a lot of self doubt, plus I worry about "lowering my standards" - as in, ok, so if I'm ok with 122, what's next? I become okay with 125? It's a slippery slope methinks!

Yesterday morning I weighed in at 119.5. I went on my long run and when I got back I was 116.0 (I always drop weight during a run and I always jump on the scale - I know it's fake, but I like seeing that low number). I ate really well yesterday and was 121.2 this morning.

Ok, well I'm rambling now, but any input would be appreciated!

Jen

bargoo
06-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Andrea, I have found those food/binge/carb urges don't go away. I had a medical procedure last week, I have the same thing every month, not particularly painful but it takes up my whole afternoon. It gets me out of the hospital just in time for the afternoon commute rush. It is about a half hour drive home, as I started home I began to think how good a Burger King Hamburger and fries would be. Why Burger King ? I pass one on my way home. I had pretty much convinced myself it be OK. Did I stop at Burger King ? NO, I reminded myself that it couldn't possibly be as good as I imagined and I would be disappointed.I still think about it once in awhile, though.

alinnell
06-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Jen~my red line is (or was) the point where I felt my clothes starting to get a bit tight. Basically my red line is 145--which is 5 pounds over my goal of 140. For me, it is the weight where I really need to clamp down and get back to goal so that I don't end up where I am now. That red line worked for me for a few years. Then complacency reared its ugly head and I ignored that red line and now I'm paying for it.

bargoo
06-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Jen, I don't really have a red line , I go by my goal weight , as long as I am below that I am a happy camper. If I am at goal and creeping above that number I get nervous.

ICUwishing
06-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Jen, I'd love to comment, but I feel totally unqualified at this point. :D If I were to answer, it would sound a lot like what Allison wrote. Everything I own fits well at 148 and my negative voices are silent. Beyond that, well, I guess I'll know more when I get back down there!

dstalksalot
06-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Hi there, new to maintenance here and trying to determine my red line weight at this point. I could technically lose more, but I want to stay where I am at right now. ( I think ) . Technically I'm still in loss mode, but I am slowing it down. I increased my cal but also my activity so I am still losing a half a pound a week. I will increase again if I am still losing by this time next month. This part of the process seems complicated. I am at a healthy BMI just barely but there is still a huge healthy weight range below me.

alinnell
06-10-2013, 12:11 PM
I am at a healthy BMI just barely but there is still a huge healthy weight range below me.

First off, welcome!

I hear you on being in a healthy BMI. I've pretty much always been in the healthy range for BMI, but right now I'm in the upper range and I'd prefer being in the lower range! Sometimes I think the my mindset of knowing I'm at a healthy weight makes it that much harder (mentally) to get back into the loss mode.

bargoo
06-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Welcome, dstalksalot, congratulations on your loss.

saef
06-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Jen, regarding choosing your weight and your redline, my advice is to choose sustainability, and not something which would require you to be "perfect 100% of the time." I think it is comparable to athletic prowess, and so there's doable, and doable with an effort, and doable with one going at one's utmost, which is, finally, not sustainable. You have to figure out what the range is for each. I'd say you're still engaged in a process of discovery, even this far out from your big loss.

I also think it's hard to come to terms with these numbers because it means accepting the limits of reality as opposed to one's dreams. It's such a journey: First, we thought we were fat and could never lose weight. Then we found we could lose weight, and got good at it, and the success maybe made us think there were absolutely no limits to how we could shape & hone our bodies. And then we came out on the other side and saw that yes, there are physical limits, at least if we want to keep doing this for the rest of our lives, and no, the possibilities are NOT infinite, and we decide what we can live with. I think it's like accepting one's mortality.

As for me, I'm low in spirits, due to last night's encounter with a buffet in a restaurant at a Poconos casino & resort. I ate so much my stomach hurt. Why? Because I'd been restrictive for the last two weeks, I'm sure. Huge shrimp, steamed salmon, marinated bay scallops, chickpeas, lots of vegetables, some drenched in butter. You'd think I'd learn.

dstalksalot
06-10-2013, 04:20 PM
First off, welcome!
Sometimes I think the my mindset of knowing I'm at a hea hy weight makes it that much harder (mentally) to get back into the loss mode.
Yes! My long term goal has been accomplished. ( I got my Tiffany bracelet as a reward!) now what?

Actually I am making some more goals. Weight lifting etc.

I think what Saef says rings true. Sustainability is the key. What that is for me at this point. I dont know. ??? I know this Summer I can lift some and swim some. So that is what I will do.

I still fear gaining back those 80 pounds plus more. I fear that fear will cause it to come true. I need to believe in my self more I guess.

CherryPie99
06-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Saef - I think that you are right! Does it make sense to constantly battle to be 117 if I can comfortably be 121? Probably not, but it is like admitting a HUGE defeat by making a goal and not being able to sustain it! And of course in this perfectionist's mind, defeat=failure=I am a total failure.

You may have eaten too much, but most of what you ate (with the exception of the butter) is extremely healthy and good for you! After the restricting you have been doing, you might even be rewarded with a whoosh downward! Fingers crossed!!!

Jen

Mudpie
06-10-2013, 06:40 PM
I have never gotten down to my goal weight honestly :o. I upped the goal by 5 lbs. and made it down once by being super dehydrated :faint: when I weighed. I knew that but it was still a thrill :hyper: to see that 129 on the scale.

But at what cost? :dizzy:

My body, since I was a teenager, has always been comfortable @ around 134-137 lbs. I was not at all muscular until my 20's (when I got a big dog and had to start working out to exercise her) and did not eat healthily until my late 30's. :D

I can get down to 130 lbs. but I have to engage in some unhealthy things to do it and I have to constantly fight with my body and be slightly hungry all the time to stay there. :(

I have finally opted to stop struggling and stay at the weight my body wants me to be. That is from 133-137 lbs. Right now I'm at the upper limit as it's still not in any way salad and fruit eating weather here. As warmer weather comes I will probably drop down to the lower limit. I can maintain this weight range without all the weighing and calculating and portioning etc. (all stuff that drives me nuts and is not worth all the energy it takes) that anything lower would take

My red line is dead center, more for convenience than anything else. :shrug:

Dagmar :cool:

lin43
06-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Both "Brain Over Binge" and "Ditching Diets" say that after a couple of days/weeks of practicing the skill of "letting the hungry voice just talk," it either disappears entirely (BOB) or becomes way easier (DD). Wrong, I find it just as challenging now as I did a month ago. Doesn't make it any easier when I've been nearly perfect with food (1200-1300 cal/day) for the last few weeks and have once again bounced back up to 126.

I haven't read Ditching Diets, but I have read Brain Over Binge. My understanding is that she is referring to the "binge" voice, not the "hunger" voice. In all fairness to you, 1250 calories would probably make most people hungry, so I'll bet that your hunger is legitimate and not based on the need to eat for eating's sake, as was the case with the author of Brain Over Binge (and many other bingers).

neurodoc
06-10-2013, 08:56 PM
FIrst of all, Jen, I picked my red line weight based on my ideal weight + 4 pounds, which is the most I can ever imagine shooting up due to water retention alone. Anything more than 4 pounds would, almost by definition, be a true fat gain and thus an indication that I needed to go back into weight loss mode. Unfortunately for me, my ideal weight (118 pounds) is not one I've ever seen, and even the upper end of my maintenance range (122) is not a place I seem to be able to stay any longer.

Which leads me to number two. After a "perfect" OP day -again- yesterday, I woke up this morning at 127. This makes essentially a month of 1200-1300 calories without cheating, exercise 5 days a week, and no fat loss. Seeing that number on the scale again literally made me cry, and I'm throwing in the towel. I can't do it. My metabolism is clearly "ruined" (whatever the **** that means) and anything more than starvation is not going to result in my getting back to even the high goal weight I set. I made a deliberate choice today to "refeed" myself, and ate about 2200 calories (including a 200 calorie oatmeal raisin cookie and a 300 calorie apple muffin). Binge? maybe partly, but a "planned" binge.

So, I guess I'm leaving this thread, and resetting my goal weight to "whatever weight I land at when I eat a steady 1500 calories a day," which is the minimum I consider to be sustainable for the long haul. Sorry everyone. I'll see you in the weekly chat thread, and some of the exercise threads.

Time to go out and buy new and bigger clothes. Cause I sure as **** won't be staying in the 120s for long. :>(

Andrea

alinnell
06-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Andrea~don't leave! We're ALL dealing with this!

And on your comment that your metabolism is ruined. I don't know if it is true or not, but my DD, who has lost about 55 pounds has also decided this. Now, granted she is young and unemployed (and currently not enrolled in school) so she has a LOT of free time. She has decided to REALLY up her calories (3000+) and up her protein (don't know exactly how many grams) and is spending copious amounts of time at the gym (but not overdoing it IMO). She has not lost any more weight, but after 6 weeks, she posted a before and after and wow! Her tummy pouch is gone and she seems to be gaining the first part of a six-pack. She decided that a low cal diet wrecked her metabolism and is trying to "fix" it by eating a lot more and dedicating herself to exercise. She lifts, does some cross-fit and runs once a week.

And I just ordered some new shorts. Size 8. Prayed they'd fit because, you know, I'm NOT losing this extra weight. And thankfully they fit! I just got another order where a couple of items I ordered in Large because, well, I didn't think Medium would fit. Sending them back--one for a medium and two for refund as they aren't flattering at all.

So you're NOT alone. DO NOT QUIT. :hug:

Shannon in ATL
06-10-2013, 10:50 PM
Andrea, I'm where you are wondering if I should just buy bigger clothes and toss it in. I don't want to though.

Allison - reading about your DD made me remember something. I maintained my weight a lot better when I ate a lot more protein and exercised more consistently. I wonder if I jumped up the protein that would help me.

bargoo
06-11-2013, 12:18 AM
Andrea, I am a little below goal, now, but I assure you it was not an easy road to get there. I had many ups and downs lost, regained and lost again, plateaued , etc, The one thing I did that got me where I am today is I hung in there, I didn't give up, I persisted even though I wasn't sure if I would ever make it. This is what worked for me .

Mudpie
06-11-2013, 08:07 AM
Andrea You have probably posted this before but could you "remind" me how you arrived at your "ideal' weight? thanks!

JenMusic
06-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Interesting. Last week I put away the scale, and just yesterday had the thought that I should just eat 1400 calories per day, have my 2 splurge meals a month, exercise like I have been doing (all of this feels very sustainable to me) and see where I end up landing. But, grrrrrrr! The idea of buying bigger clothes, of gaining weight, of "giving up"!

I really, truly, honestly wish I'd never started weighing myself as a method of tracking my progress. That dumb scale number messes with me, even when I think it doesn't.

All that to say, Andrea, do whatever is sustainable for you physically and mentally. Find that sweet spot of peace and let me know how to get there. :)

silverbirch
06-11-2013, 08:55 AM
I really, truly, honestly wish I'd never started weighing myself as a method of tracking my progress. That dumb scale number messes with me, even when I think it doesn't.

Do you think anything would work better for you, Jen? I sometimes use a tape measure but I don't get very reliable figures. I sometimes wonder about clothes but that doesn't really work for me either. I don't wear tight clothes and don't try on or buy many clothes at all. Sizing seems to be vary variable - even between different colours. Apparently black bras, for example, are always a bit tighter because they make the bra first and then dye it. And clothes in different colours may be made in different factories, and even different countries.

ICUwishing
06-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Andrea, I'm sorry that what has worked for you in the past isn't working now. It must feel like your body is betraying you. Have you considered seeing a holistic pro - for instance, the Downing Clinic? I haven't had any issues that justify seeing them, although my neighbor did and she absolutely raves about what they did for her (shifted nutrient ratios, added a precursor hormone supplement, and found her a neuromuscular therapist to address the source of her headaches). Sometimes the traditional methods just don't work and it could be something very simple that falls outside the mainstream.

Logged faithfully yesterday (1460 cal) and 11335 steps; was rewarded by the "day 1 whoosh" of 2.5#, or back to the territory I've been occupying (maintaining?) for 8 months. Food challenge is that I'm home alone today; physical challenge comes tonight when my running group takes to the track for speedwork.

I guess I got myself back here because the scale number doesn't mess with me enough, :lol: Too much "hakuna matata" is not a good thing, either. ;)

JenMusic
06-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Birchie - I don't know what would work for me now, but I know that my clothes were a great indicator when I started losing weight. I started somewhere north of 200 pounds and began just with walking more and trying to eat/snack less and make better food choices when I could. Around 175 pounds I bought a scale and started counting calories and from then on my scale was my guide. That's when I decided what my goal weight would be, and started worrying about BMI and being a "normal" weight.

For the record, my mood is pretty good about all of this right now. I realize tone is hard to tell online, but I don't feel a sense of despair about this. I haven't really made any decisions - just wondering if that path would be mentally healthier for me in the long run.

JayZeeJay
06-11-2013, 12:37 PM
I guess I'm leaving this thread, and resetting my goal weight to "whatever weight I land at when I eat a steady 1500 calories a day," which is the minimum I consider to be sustainable for the long haul.

Andrea: this sounds like sanity, not surrendering. It seems likely that you will equilibrate at an average weight (with the usual fluctuations, of course) a bit higher than your goal, but without the emotional baggage that comes with the constant "MUST lose" mentality. I hope this is a happier approach for your body and mind.

JenMusic: I hate the power the scale has over me, too. This may be wacky, but I just heard about these "weightless" scales - do you know about these? One is called the Quantum Scale. It only reports fluctuations in your weight from your baseline (the first time you step on it), without ever giving an absolute number. I'm not sure if it's really a solution - it still gives a number, but maybe not seeing an actual weight removes some of the excess emotional reaction. I think they may be expensive though.

silverbirch
06-11-2013, 01:00 PM
JenMusic: I hate the power the scale has over me, too. This may be wacky, but I just heard about these "weightless" scales - do you know about these? One is called the Quantum Scale. It only reports fluctuations in your weight from your baseline (the first time you step on it), without ever giving an absolute number. I'm not sure if it's really a solution - it still gives a number, but maybe not seeing an actual weight removes some of the excess emotional reaction. I think they may be expensive though.

I used to weigh myself in kilograms (and I know others do too). I haven't made the mental switch to metric units (younger British people have) so it had the "quantum effect" for me.

CherryPie99
06-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Andrea - I can so feel the pain that you are in right through the screen and it brought tears to my eyes. So first I just want to give you some virtual hugs. Like Dagmar, I am wondering how you determined 118 as your "ideal weight"? I think that giving yourself a break is a great idea. As we all know, no decision is final. So to have a bit of a splurge and then start eating a little more is a great idea for now. Who knows what next week holds, but it sounds like the stress of trying to force your body to comply might be more effort then it's worth right now.

JenMusic - I hope that you will continue posting about your experience in stepping away from the scale. Every day I tell myself that the scale number doesn't matter. And then, like today, I stepped on it and was POSITIVE I would be down and it read 121.7 and I just felt DEVASTATED.

The Harris-Benedict equation tells me that for the amount I'm exercising I should be able to eat 2100-2200 calories per day to maintain. I am eating 1700-1800 and not losing. It is tremendously discouraging.

Jen

Shannon in ATL
06-11-2013, 04:15 PM
The Harris-Benedict equation tells me that for the amount I'm exercising I should be able to eat 2100-2200 calories per day to maintain. I am eating 1700-1800 and not losing. It is tremendously discouraging.

Jen

I never lose on 1700-1800 even when I exercise, and I get similar Harris-Bendict numbers to you when I'm working out regularly. I've decided exercise does nothing to help me lose, only to change my shape some.

CherryPie99
06-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Well crap, Shannon, that's not what I wanted to hear!! :(

Weight is still up today, despite good eating and exercising. Guess my denial is going to have to go away!!!

Jen

bargoo
06-12-2013, 01:33 PM
As if peanut butter in a jar is not treacherous enough I discovered Ben and Jerry's Peanut Butter Cups ice cream. What a dirty trick !! B & J know that no peanut butter lover can resist this. Of course I fell face first into it and the scale recorded my addiction. Tonight I have a birthday party to attend. My son is the host and he has a grill that does everything but set the table. I expect the menu to feature items that are grilled, smoked and or rotisseried . Have mercy !

alinnell
06-12-2013, 01:39 PM
While not B&J's, DH and I shared a bowl of PB cup ice cream the other night. DS has ice cream (right in FRONT of us) at least five times a week. We had had a rather light dinner and I guess DH and I felt the need for something sweet, so we shared a small bowl. Delicious! I don't feel bad about it myself as this is the first time I've eaten ice cream in months! It's one of those things that I can keep in the house and ignore. Not so with cheese. Or crackers. But I am reigning in my need to snack on them every day! And when I do, I can limit myself to just four crackers with cheese.

krampus
06-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Had reunion band practice last night and the third member (who couldn't make a veggie side dish because he went to the supermarket and could not identify vegetables, I'm not joking about this) had made pizza. I had just a little, and some Smartfood popcorn, and feel really oversalted. Still at an artificially low but not artificial at all weight.

Shannon in ATL
06-12-2013, 02:10 PM
Well crap, Shannon, that's not what I wanted to hear!! :(

Sorry honey. :( It stresses me out some, too. The exercise does make a huge difference in the shape though.

As if peanut butter in a jar is not treacherous enough I discovered Ben and Jerry's Peanut Butter Cups ice cream. What a dirty trick !! B & J know that no peanut butter lover can resist this. Of course I fell face first into it and the scale recorded my addiction.

They currently have two peanut butter cup flavors - the traditional with peanut butter ice cream and peanut butter cups and a limited batch chocolate peanut butter cup with chocolate ice cream, peanut butter swirl and peanut butter cups. Not that I also fell face first into ice cream and saw these at the store while picking out mine this weekend, not at all. ;)

It's one of those things that I can keep in the house and ignore. Not so with cheese. Or crackers. But I am reigning in my need to snack on them every day! And when I do, I can limit myself to just four crackers with cheese.

I can ignore cheese and crackers for weeks or months or sometimes forever, but I can't ignore ice cream in the freezer. It is always there whispering in the back of my head, reminding me of its presence.

I'm trying to get back on track today after shower food all weekend and dinner out Monday night. Just in time for hospital food and road food and lunch out for Father's Day all weekend. Whew.

JayZeeJay
06-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Still at an artificially low but not artificial at all weight.

Just curious, what do you mean? For me, if I've been eating at a deficit but eating my regular proportion of foods, any weight loss seems "real". But if my deficit consists of almost-complete carb removal from my diet, I generally know that there's some "artificial" (water) loss in there too - and if I so much as make eye contact with a scone, I'll gain that part right back.

Good grief, PB cup ice cream. I am actually pretty grateful for my severe lactose intolerance, it keeps me out of my boyfriend's ice cream. Last night he bought two B and J flavors, vanilla and red velvet cake (!), mashed both pints together in a big bowl and went to town. Curse him and his BMI of 20.

JenMusic
06-12-2013, 05:08 PM
Ice cream is EVIL. Peanut butter ice cream? Evil squared! (Bargoo, I believe we have the same PB addiction.) I can't keep ice cream in the house or it will be gone that day. I had a roommate once who would eat one or two spoonfuls after dinner a few nights a week. A pint of B&J's lasted her for weeks. I always thought she must be part alien. :lol:

Jen - Sorry for this, too, but we're the same height and I've never been able to go by what the calculators say I should be able to eat. You're more active than I am, I believe, but I'm not sedentary by any means and still can't go much over 1400/day. It does stink. :(

I've been meaning to share - I've gotten a couple of new exercise DVDs that I've been enjoying. The instructor is Kelly Coffey Meyers, and she has a series called "30 Minutes to Fitness." I've tried the Weights DVD and the Bootcamp DVD and both are good. She's straightforward and not too perky (which is a bonus for me) and encourages heavy weights. So far, so good.

Speaking of . . . time to go work out!

Mudpie
06-12-2013, 05:10 PM
:yikes: No more ICE CREAM PORN!!! DH and I have faithfully been eating our semi-frozen unsweetened fruit with a dollop of low fat vanilla yogurt. Now I am craving ice cream, particularly with PB cups in it.

But you know what? If I run out and get some I'll bet I'm only able to eat one bowl, rather than the litre I used to put away every second night or so.

My ice cream treats now involve a 2K walk to the ice cream store and the purchase of a single scoop waffle sugar cone of Kawartha Lakes. Then it's 2K back home while I eat my treat. I can do this once a week and during the summer I do.

Dagmar :angel: :lol:

saef
06-12-2013, 06:06 PM
I don't eat ice cream. I've cut it out of my life. Instead, I freeze Jell-O sugarfree pudding cups, take one out, nuke it for 15 seconds in the microwave (with the tinfoil lid off, when I remember), then eat it with nearly pornographic relish. And then look around for more, and so have to distract myself immediately with some other past-time and get out of the kitchen. I'm not saying I'm satisfied, just that this is one of those things that I do to keep myself from remembering former indulgences and feeling attracted to them again.

If I did eat ice cream, I'm certain I'd be battling a 30-lb weight regain rather than about 15 lbs.

BillBlueEyes
06-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Dagmar, Your friend, Cesar Millan is in the news: http://rockcenter.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06/12/18918537-bitten-by-tragedy-cesar-millan-returns-wiser-as-leader-of-the-pack?lite

[Running away as fast as I can before I go buy a pint of Ben & Jerry's.]

Mudpie
06-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Dagmar, Your friend, Cesar Millan is in the news: http://rockcenter.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06/12/18918537-bitten-by-tragedy-cesar-millan-returns-wiser-as-leader-of-the-pack?lite

[Running away as fast as I can before I go buy a pint of Ben & Jerry's.]

Bill Maybe the fast running will burn off some of the Ben & Jerry's cals? :lol3:

This was all mentioned in a documentary about Cesar's life, which I saw on TV months ago. He now has a new girlfriend who is bubbly and bouncy - DH refers to her as the "giggly hooterbabe" - and is back on track with his business and personal lives.

I wish he WAS my friend - I could probably have consulted him and poor Lucy would not be condemned to walk on leash for the rest of her life. And there are a bunch of other dogs with behavioural problems that I had to give up who Cesar probably could have helped.

I still really respect Cesar Millan for his ability to read dogs and to train their owners. But I really do NOT like his new show. I have tried watching it 4 times now and come away each time feeling like I've just seen some cheap game show. The assessment of the dog is still interesting but I really don't like the rest.

Dagmar :shrug:

Mudpie
06-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Mudpie apparently didn't get the memo about cats being carnivores :dunno:. She just spent 10 minutes shamelessly begging :drool: while I made the side for dinner. Its main ingredients are some of her all time faves - black beans, fresh corn kernels, orange sweet peppers, and avocado. Had I garnished it with tortilla chips she would have been over the moon. :D

CherryPie99
06-12-2013, 09:15 PM
LOVE LOVE LOVE peanut butter and ice cream! I tried that Artic Ice about a month ago - chocolate peanut butter flavor. I actually liked it. 150 calories for a WHOLE PINT. It's not anywhere close to ice cream, but as a faux ice cream....

Jen - Kelly Coffey Meyer has a kickboxing video that I LOVE.

I also am a HUGE Cesar Milan fan - DH bought me the "pack leader" bracelet for my birthday! http://www.cesarsway.com/shop/gifts/cesar-millan-foundation-pack-leader-bracelet

Jen

neurodoc
06-12-2013, 11:46 PM
Well, I told myself that I would stop reading this thread, and even unsubscribed myself from it (oh the irony, considering I started it), but then tonight I realized that I consider many of you on here my friends now, and I missed you. I had thought I'd "see" you all on the Maintainers weekly chat thread, but actually quite a few of you don't seem to "hang out" there.

Now I'm not sure what to do, because as long as I keep reading this thread, it will keep me feeling sad that I'm not losing weight, but if I don't, I feel like I'm missing part of my social support system. I had deferred buying a bathing suit for vacation to the last possible minute (I'm leaving for Greece on Friday morning) so I could buy one for my anticipated new weight, and I felt some real self-disgust tonight in the fitting room, seeing the jiggly bits along my sides and bottom, knowing they weren't there back in the winter.

Dagmar, I selected my ideal weight partly based on BMI (5'2, 120 pounds = BMI of 22, the highest I felt was reasonable) and partly on appearance - the weight where the jiggle is gone when I also engage in regular weight training.

For once, the food conversation isn't tempting me: oddly, I'm not a big fan of ice cream. The only appeal for me is when it's full of stuff like chocolate pieces or crunchy things, and at that point, I might as well just eat the chocolate directly and save the ice-cream calories. I have to say though, that since I've been a maintainer, PB (and nuts in general) have become HUGELY tempting, extremely satisfying and one of my favorite foods to overeat. I suspect because it's one of the few foods I eat that remains full-fat (or nearly so - I drain the excess oil off the PB), and the mouthfeel is heavenly even when it sticks to the roof of my mouth.

So, anyway, I don't know what I'm going to do about this thread, and this site. Since I'll be in Greece through the end of June, I suspect I"ll have far less time and ability to access the internet anyway. And I'll have far less control over what food I eat as well, making this a double challenge since I maintain based on calorie-counting and daily weighing. I guess that, like you Saef, I'm about to have a semi-involuntary exercise in relaxing some of my control mechanisms. It feels a little like jumping off the high diving board.

Mudpie
06-13-2013, 06:23 AM
Andrea thanks for the info on how you selected your ideal weight. I hope you can enjoy your vacation in Greece. Such a beautiful place!

You are a part of the Maintainers and I hope you continue to post somewhere in the forum. Some of us have taken breaks from the forum and then come back. Please feel welcome whatever you decide to do.

A lot of us DO hang out in the Maintainers Chat thread - it's just kinda slowing down for summer. I think most of us from the north :brr: are out and about more in summer :beach: and not posting as much.

But beware :eek: - there is a LOT of pet stuff there. But you have a dog now, yes? And kids? A lot of us posting in Chat talk about our families and pets and gardens and other such stuff and sometimes even relate the posts to food!

bargoo
06-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Andrea, you are a maintainer and can post anywhere you like. I, in particular like this one because it goes until 500 posts so it is easier for me to look back and see something that may have been posted several day ago. The weekly chat is good, too but concerns itself more with day to day living including all the things Dagmar mentioned.
PS regarding ice cream, it isn't just the ice cream it is the combination of ice cream and peanut butter that is so hard to resist. If I could sit down with a jar of peanut butter and a spoon, I for sure could easily scarf down a pint of B&J's. This is a good reminder that if I must pass the frozen food section, I must not even slow down. Keep walking and don't look left or right.

saef
06-13-2013, 10:22 AM
Andrea, I consider this thread to be the only one in which I can talk strictly about stresses and beliefs that I know have an impact on my ability to stay at a healthy weight & it is where I can raise those serious questions that I know I've got to answer if I'm going to be able to get by in this life. It's about that, rather than just about a goal of mathematical subtraction.

Today, with another three to five inches of rain in the forecast, I'm back from the gym & looking forward to a busy day prepping for midyear evaluations for my team and having a long conversation with my manager. I'm trying to praise my body today for the deadlifts that I just finished, rather than for the slack skin around my midriff.

alinnell
06-13-2013, 10:27 AM
Now I'm not sure what to do, because as long as I keep reading this thread, it will keep me feeling sad that I'm not losing weight, but if I don't, I feel like I'm missing part of my social support system.

This is exactly how I feel.

Andrea~Have a wonderful time in Greece! Walk a lot. You'll burn tons of calories. Things will look up once you're back.

traveling michele
06-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Andrea-- I hope you have a wonderful time. I hope you are able to relax and enjoy your trip and not worry so much about the calories.

Me-- One social event down-- took my friend to sushi last night (after bikram so I got that in)--

Today is a little more challenging. I have a work party from 2-5. I know that people leave early or come late so my plan is to go from 2-3:45 and then leave for yoga. My issue is eating/lunch. I usually eat lunch by 12:00. Do I eat lunch and then trust myself not to eat at the party? Do I plan on having a little at the party? I know there will be copious amounts of food but some will be healthy-- I signed up and brought sugar snap peas.

Then I had another work party planned for next week. I stressed myself out enough about it that I withdrew my RSVP. I don't HAVE to be there and it was from 4:30 on. That would eliminate any chance of exercising and everyone was signing up to bring lasagna and much more-- none of which sounded slightly healthy.

Today is the last day for the students here. I work through next Thursday then I'm OFF for the summer!!

Back to my inventory--- 34,000 books and counting....

JayZeeJay
06-13-2013, 12:47 PM
...I selected my ideal weight partly based on BMI (5'2, 120 pounds = BMI of 22, the highest I felt was reasonable) and partly on appearance - the weight where the jiggle is gone when I also engage in regular weight training.

Whenever I get too focused on my BMI (I still hover above 22, despite being an avid runner, and it makes me upset sometimes), I remember something I read a while back: Mia Hamm was interviewed soon after her team won the World Cup and they asked her weight, for some reason. She said "about 145" and it was clear she couldn't care less about the number. That puts her at a BMI of 23.4 (she's 5'6").

At the time, I was feeling very low about my body - I was in the 160's and couldn't even imagine being able to lose what I thought was the "right" amount of weight, at least 30 lbs. This turned me around: one of my idols who was ridiculously fit and a world-class athlete wasn't one of the "skinny girls", yet she was my idea of someone with a perfect body. It started me down this path that I am on today, that ANYTHING I do to improve my health and fitness will show - possibly not on the scale, but in other ways that are even more important. Because placing well in a race really does feel much better than seeing some randomly low number on a scale.

Sorry for the long anecdote! It was a big "ah ha!" moment for me. My main goal now is to try to love my body regardless of the numeric values assigned to it (not always successful, but always trying).

Have a wonderful time in Greece!!

CherryPie99
06-13-2013, 01:08 PM
Andrea - I'm so glad you stopped back in. Incidentally, everyone here is SO much more well taveled then I am - makes me feel like a loser! I hope that you have an awesome time in Greece! Maybe it will give your brain a bit of a reset and make you feel better. Fingers crossed!

JayZeeJay - I liked your story regarding Mia Hamm.

I happened to see the doctor yesterday. It was a new doc and he was very complimentary about my "story". He also was shocked that I am fighting my weight saying that in his estimate I have about 12-15% body fat. I think he's way off, though.

I received some bad news at the doctor's which I am still processing and trying not to over-react to. I think the scale must have heard and feels sorry for me, because I was below my red line this morning on my weigh in!

Jen

saef
06-13-2013, 01:51 PM
I received some bad news at the doctor's which I am still processing and trying not to over-react to. I think the scale must have heard and feels sorry for me, because I was below my red line this morning on my weigh in!

Take care, Jen. :hug:

JenMusic
06-13-2013, 03:38 PM
Jen - So sorry about the bad news. We're here whenever you need us. My thoughts are with you.

Michele - If you weren't going to enjoy the work social event anyway, I think it's fine that you cancelled your RSVP. So many of those events are, too an introvert like myself, more trouble than they're worth.

Andrea - Good luck in Greece! I hope you can de-stress enough to enjoy the experience without letting the anxiety of food and exercise become an issue. Don't let this steal your joy.

I don't keep up with the Maintainers' Chat thread because I've always felt bad that I can't check in there more often, then I feel behind and like I'm ignoring the group. My schedule is hit-or-miss and I can't really contribute there as much as I'd like. So this is my "home" on the boards. In any case, there's great support and camaraderie wherever we choose to post, and I'm so thankful for that (and all of you!).

Today has been one long afternoon of car repair. I went in for a schedule oil change, which then became an AC recharge (much needed, here in boiling Atlanta), and is now capped of by the purchase and installation of 2 new tires. Those were desperately needed, as well, which is embarrassing because I've always been proud of how well I maintain my faithful 98 Camry.

All that to say I've been sitting in a waiting room since noon, my small, tide-me-over lunch is long gone, and the prospects of me getting in an afternoon run are rapidly shrinking. Ah, well, things happen.

WardHog
06-13-2013, 03:38 PM
I hope you are ok, Jen.

Dara Torres is my athlete idol. She is not super skinny but has beautiful lean muscles. I have a picture of her inside my pantry door for daily inspiration.

Andrea, I hope you have a great trip. I always find it liberating to go on vacation where no one knows my except DH and the kids. I will throw on a bikini and not worry about what other people think because chances are I'll never see them again. :)

traveling michele
06-13-2013, 05:07 PM
Hugs to you Jen. Please take care of yourself.

I also love the Mia Hamm story. I need to keep reminding myself of it.

Off to my work party in a few. I'm going home to have a quest bar first (and let the dogs out) so I won't be ravenous.

bargoo
06-13-2013, 07:10 PM
Jen, can we help ?

lin43
06-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Speaking of ice-cream, my new favorite is Talenti Gelato, Sea Salt Caramel flavor. Itís creamy and delicious, and thereís no way I can get some without eating the entire pint in one sitting. Has anyone tried this?

But if my deficit consists of almost-complete carb removal from my diet, I generally know that there's some "artificial" (water) loss in there too - and if I so much as make eye contact with a scone, I'll gain that part right back.

This is exactly why I have resisted the temptation to go on a low-carb diet to get rid of the 5 lbs. that's plaguing me. I know I could lose pretty fast on even reduced carbs, but since I don't intend to stick with that way of eating, I don't see the sense in trying it.

I don't know if it is true or not, but my DD, who has lost about 55 pounds has also decided this. Now, granted she is young and unemployed (and currently not enrolled in school) so she has a LOT of free time. She has decided to REALLY up her calories (3000+) and up her protein (don't know exactly how many grams) and is spending copious amounts of time at the gym (but not overdoing it IMO). She has not lost any more weight, but after 6 weeks, she posted a before and after and wow! Her tummy pouch is gone and she seems to be gaining the first part of a six-pack. She decided that a low cal diet wrecked her metabolism and is trying to "fix" it by eating a lot more and dedicating herself to exercise. She lifts, does some cross-fit and runs once a week.

Ever since I read your post about this on another thread, I've been wondering how it is working out for her. I think it's great that she is eating so much without gaining. Even maintaining on that high number of calories is unbelievable.

This week has been an "easy" week for me, meaning that I've had a few scrumptious treats, but I've still managed to stay within a reasonable calorie level without feeling hungry or deprived. But my calorie range by the end of the week will still average out to about 2000 per day. That's below what my maintenance calories are (or what they were??? not sure if my body is rebelling), but it's not enough for me to see any sort of loss, and I'm planning to weigh in this coming week. I have a feeling that I'm not going to push it, though. I think if I can just stay below my weekly calories for a few months, that might actually be more do-able for me than drastically cutting my calories, even though it will obviously take months for me to lose the few pounds I'd like to.

alinnell
06-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Ever since I read your post about this on another thread, I've been wondering how it is working out for her. I think it's great that she is eating so much without gaining. Even maintaining on that high number of calories is unbelievable.

I seriously don't know how she does it either. She came for a few days visit near the end of May (for her brother's high school graduation). One day I watched her fix lunch. Albertson's (a grocery chain here) sells a wonderful pre-seasoned mix for fajitas. Either steak or chicken and the onions and pepper mixture separately wrapped. Each package will satiate two people easily. All you need to add is the tortilla. She fixed two huge tortillas full of the mixture and ate them both! I had a stomach ache just watching her!

She claims that what she is doing is very, very high in protein and very, very low in carbs and then with her exercising, she is able to up her calories without gaining weight. See if you can see her photo here: DD (https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/431908_500804113308352_751327222_n.jpg)
It's a Facebook photo, but I think it's an open page. If you can't see it, let me know and I'll put it on my photobucket and share it there.

traveling michele
06-13-2013, 10:00 PM
I can see the pics-- she looks incredible! WOW! Great abs!

My concern would be that I would get "used to" eating that many calories and would have a hard time greatly reducing that if needed-- like if she was exercising less for example.

bargoo
06-13-2013, 10:13 PM
Allison, she looks great. I could never eat that number of calories with out blowing up like a balloon.

dstalksalot
06-14-2013, 12:01 AM
I can see the pics-- she looks incredible! WOW! Great abs!

My concern would be that I would get "used to" eating that many calories and would have a hard time greatly reducing that if needed-- like if she was exercising less for example.

Exactly! I fear this now and am only working out 3 times a week....but these are the type of changes I am hoping to see eventually. Less fat more muscles and no weight loss.

Photos are amazing. Especially the last two. Only one pound difference.

I am trying to figure out calorie cycling with a new workout schedule and increased calories in maintenance.

After all the ice cream and peanut butter talk around here I thought I would try some vanilla Greek yogurt/ PB2/ slivered Dove dark chocolate square/ and TBS slivered almonds. yummy!!!

traveling michele
06-14-2013, 12:16 PM
I am such a creature of habit/ routine.
I went home briefly yesterday before my work party. That made me sleepy. I drug myself to the party and left at the planned time to pick up dh and get to the gym or yoga. I couldn't drag myself back out to the gym though. Dh went without me. My weight is up as a reward. Tomorrow is my monthly weigh in. I'm quite discouraged with myself but trying to think of Mia Hamm and other strong, fit women because I know that I am one.

Yesterday was our last day with kids at school. I work through next Thursday but I'm going to try to get focused now.

Dh told me the other day that I could "get" a maid. I've wanted one for years but he never wants to spend the money. I decided not to be offended by him noticing my lack of a clean house, but instead happy that I can maybe have a clean house soon! We'd probably just have them come every other week but it will help with the dog/cat hair and dust that I'm constantly chasing!

CherryPie99
06-14-2013, 12:55 PM
Allison - Your daughter looks AMAZING! I was literally like "WOW!" when I saw her pics!

Michele - I literally just had a housekeeper in for the first time in my life last week! She charged me $350 to clean TOP TO BOTTOM. I mean they scrubbed EVERYTHING. She wants to come in every 2 weeks at $90 a pop which is beyond my financial ability, so I am trying hard to keep up from where they left off so I don't need her! But BLAH! Who has the time??

Thanks for the well wishes everyone - my medical situation is nothing acute - and I tend to be a drama queen about medical issues. Still processing....

Jen

lin43
06-14-2013, 01:59 PM
See if you can see her photo here: DD (https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/431908_500804113308352_751327222_n.jpg)
It's a Facebook photo, but I think it's an open page. If you can't see it, let me know and I'll put it on my photobucket and share it there.

I cannot believe she is 150! I would have guessed 135 at most. The difference is amazing between the second and third picture---and she's just 1 lb. less! That really goes to show the effect that exercise can have. That's inspiring! Thanks for posting it.

JenMusic
06-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Allison, those pictures . . . wow! How is that possible with eating 3000+ cals a day? Because I want those abs! :)

Nothing much to report here, weight/healthwise. Yesterday was a bit stressful with an unexpected car situation and no workout got done, which I tried very hard not to feel guilty about. I general take one rest day every 10 days or so . . . why is it I'm convinced I'm going to lose ALL my fitness if I have to take an occasional extra rest day?

Have a good Friday, everyone!

silverbirch
06-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Allison, amazing progress by your DD. What's BSN?

alinnell
06-14-2013, 03:54 PM
I'm not sure what BSN is. I think it refers to some bodybuilding thing. I know that she referred to some contest she was entering and said something like "shredding" which to me means reducing your body fat and gaining muscle. She uses a lot of different protein mixtures.

Oh, I found it: BSN (http://blog.bodybuilding.com/BodySpaceAdmin/2013/03/25/2013_bsn_summer_shred_challenge/)

Mudpie
06-14-2013, 08:11 PM
OMG! I have one constant "luxury" in my life and that's my housecleaners every 2 weeks. I was so broke that I had to resort to being a cleaner for about a year back in 1993 and I was forced to clean my parents' house since I was a little girl - from around the age of 10 I think) until I moved out.

In 1993 I swore that, if/when I could afford it, I would NEVER, EVER CLEAN AGAIN. Been there since 1999 and will happily stay there until I die or am put into care.

Dagmar :beach:

bargoo
06-14-2013, 08:30 PM
I still do my own housecleaning, I don't pay someone to do it as I know I would kill myself cleaning before the housecleaners arrive .Wouldn't want them to think I had a dirty house !

Mudpie
06-15-2013, 06:48 AM
I still do my own housecleaning, I don't pay someone to do it as I know I would kill myself cleaning before the housecleaners arrive .Wouldn't want them to think I had a dirty house !

I know you are partially kidding here bargoo. I guess because I know so many people who have lots of pets that a dirty house, to me, doesn't mean anything other than the homeowner doesn't have time to clean it herself. I really don't care who knows that my house is dirty, all I want is for someone ELSE to clean it! :p

If I ever win the lottery :cp: I will have a housekeeper who comes in every day and runs the household for me. I will no longer have to worry about any chores - cooking, cleaning, errands - and will be free to devote my time to education, art, film and travel. :woohoo:

Dagmar :encore:

dstalksalot
06-15-2013, 11:06 AM
That would be nice.

My problem is not dirt so much but I have a clutter problem. I have little space and too much stuff. We had a garage sale early this month and got rid of a ton my my old clothing and my kids old clothing. But I feel like I'm still unorganized. Receipts get piled and my husbands electronics wires ( he is in the AV field) boys toys and my art supplies etc.

alinnell
06-15-2013, 11:57 AM
I love having a housekeeper. Every two weeks the whole house is done. In between that, I clean the kitchen every day before fixing food (you never know if the cats have gotten on the counters or not) and about every day (especially in the spring and summer) I vacuum up pet hair with my hand vac. If we're expecting company I'll vacuum the living room carpet. Before the housekeepers come, I always pick up all the animal toys and put odds and ends away so it's easier for them to do the hard stuff.

I stopped at Trader Joe's on the way home from work yesterday and I scored big! They had boxes of either peaches or nectaries for only $4.99 a dozen and huge containers of blueberries for only $5.99. I'm set for the week!

DH has to have a colonoscopy on Tuesday. I feel bad for him. No food after lunch on Monday and his appointment isn't until 3 PM Tuesday. I think I'd starve!

JenMusic
06-15-2013, 12:06 PM
When I was teaching in China, I had a local woman come in once a week to help out in my apartment. I resisted for a long time because it felt lazy and just wrong, but it's very common over there. She would spend a couple of hours (it wasn't a huge apartment) and dust, sweep, mop, wash dishes, do laundry . . . anything she thought needed doing. She also would speak Chinese with me, very patiently. :)The grand total for all this work? 30 RMB, or about $3.50 (USD) at the time. I know, it sounds terrible, but to put it in perspective the Americas who had household help were paying almost double local rates, and I as a university teacher was making about $300 a month.

Went to dinner last night with my BF and it was my "splurge" meal for the week. Not too bad, until we also ended up at Waffle House this morning and I ate ALL of my day's calories before 10 AM. Hmm . . . .

lin43
06-15-2013, 04:23 PM
If I ever win the lottery :cp: I will have a housekeeper who comes in every day and runs the household for me. I will no longer have to worry about any chores - cooking, cleaning, errands - and will be free to devote my time to education, art, film and travel.

This would be a dream come true for me! Cleaning is such a bore---especially since the results are so short-lived. I feel like Sisyphus sometimes (but most of the time my house is a mess, so I guess I'm always at the bottom of the mountain with the boulder on my shoulder). When I first started dieting, I used to enter my housecleaning into my Calorie Count app as part of my day's exercise. That gave me the incentive to do more, but since I've become more fit, I keep thinking that I won't burn many calories housecleaning (well, at least that's my rationalization and I'm sticking to it :). The only thing that makes housecleaning bearable is listening to some music on Pandora as I do it.

When I was teaching in China, I had a local woman come in once a week to help out in my apartment. I resisted for a long time because it felt lazy and just wrong, but it's very common over there. She would spend a couple of hours (it wasn't a huge apartment) and dust, sweep, mop, wash dishes, do laundry . . . anything she thought needed doing

I lived on a French island for several months, and I had a house cleaner come in twice a week. She was great! Somehow, someway, she managed to get all the sand out of the house (we lived on a beach). We lived in a "French-style" condo unit (translation: miniscule kitchen, no laundry facilities in the unit), and she would actually hand wash our sheets (we didn't tell her to; it's just something she did). We paid her $8 an hour, which was almost double the average salary for that job on the island, but we were so grateful to have her that we figured she was worth it. Boy, was she sorry to see us move (and was I sorry to leave!)!

Saturdays are always my day of extra splurging. Lately, I have a routine of going to a local bakery after CrossFit and getting some goodies (a bit self-defeating, I know). Well, today the CF workout stunk; our usual instructor was not there, and our actual time of working out was only about 10 minutes, tops. I've found that so many CrossFit classes are that way, and it's one reason I stopped going to them until I found the class with this one instructor I like (he kicks our butts for 30-40 minutes). I don't buy the fact that I'm getting just as good of a workout in 10 minutes because it's intense. I push myself as much as I can, but I don't even begin to sweat in 10 minutes the amount that I do when I'm pushing myself for 30-40 minutes. Anyway, you would think that having burned so few calories this morning that I would forgo my usual bakery stop, right? No chance. I had some red velvet cupcakes on my mind and I was darn well going to get them. I had two (they're small) and a large chocolate chip cookie. Then, for lunch, I had two small bags of Cheetos. Yes, it was not my finest eating day, but I really don't feel guilty about it because I sort of plan that for Saturdays anyway, and I'm still well under my weekly calories.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend so far!

Mudpie
06-15-2013, 06:38 PM
lin I'm totally there with the red velvet cupcakes and cookie but Cheetos? I used to love them but now they'e too "artificial" for my tastebuds. I am having chips and beer tonite - a planned splurge. So much more "natural" :lol3:

We enjoy what we enjoy! :^:

Dagmar :p

lin43
06-15-2013, 06:49 PM
lin I'm totally there with the red velvet cupcakes and cookie but Cheetos? I used to love them but now they'e too "artificial" for my tastebuds. I am having chips and beer tonite - a planned splurge. So much more "natural" :lol3:

We enjoy what we enjoy! :^:

Dagmar :p

LOL! I hear you, and I'm kind of embarrassed that I like them---especially that I'm a foodie in every other respect (shop at Whole Foods, eat ONLY organic meat, dairy, and most fruits & veggies, etc.). Cheetos is the one junky, artificial snack I still crave for some reason.

JayZeeJay
06-18-2013, 08:50 PM
It looks like the 'malware-induced hiatus' is over. Thank goodness! I missed this forum. And I've not been eating well the last few days either, so I need the help. I got rejected for the "dream job", the interview that I flew out for a few weeks ago. And what does rejection equal? That's right, an excuse to eat lots of crap!!

alinnell
06-18-2013, 09:08 PM
Sorry you didn't get the job. Sorry you're resorting to bad eating to compensate.

DH had a colonoscopy today so I didn't fix dinner last night. We had chicken broth and followed it up with water. He had apple juice and jello in an attempt to stave of starvation today. It didn't work! Thankfully someone cancelled and his appointment was moved up 2.5 hours. I picked him up and brought him home and made him a PB&J. I had had a light lunch at work so I didn't eat. I'm fixing breakfast for dinner tonight--something that I can usually pass off larger portions to DS and DH thus eating quite well myself!

saef
06-18-2013, 10:53 PM
To all of you messing around with the food: Knock it off. (In my best tough-love voice.)

If you have developed a cupcake habit, change up your routine and stop it.

If you didn't get the job, dammit, those who did not hire you are idjits and there's some other plan for you.

One of my spin instructors, who's big on an inspirational playlist, keeps playing this one song with a refrain that says: "Don't you worry, don't you worry, child/See Heaven's got a plan for you." I don't know how many times I've sprinted with heavy resistance to that song before the words sank in. I want to believe it's true for myself, and for all of us here, particularly in our most trying moments, when we feel there's no plan whatsoever and no reward for all our efforts.

Oh, boy, have I been hungry a lot over the past few days, still restricting as much as I'm able to. Nevertheless I've gone to bed at night with swollen legs and feet. This is probably due to salt content in the delicious but unsightly pork stew that I made in my slow cooker & have been eating for several nights in a row. The recipe is based on something that I found online & was inspired by my visit to Santa Fe earlier this year & called for a jar of tomatillo salsa, some green chiles, some lime juice, some tiny red jacket potatoes and a can of posole. Tastes wonderful, with that slightly sweet-acidic tang of the tomatillos. But it's a really unattractive color, so I'd hesitate before serving it to someone else. Sadly, it doesn't seem to take much sodium to make me bloat up, particularly after a mostly sedentary day, working on midyear evaluations for my team. That has pretty much eaten up my life this week. I need more sleep. Logging off now to try to get it ...

dstalksalot
06-18-2013, 11:47 PM
Jay, sorry you did not get your job. I have been rejected more times this last year than my entire job hunting career. Don't quite know what's going on other than a super sucky depressed economy.

ICUwishing
06-19-2013, 10:46 AM
jay, condolences. Now, step out of the kitchen. ;)

I had a pretty good week after the rather appalling last Monday at 154.0, so the week average Mon-Sun came in at 151.8. I'll only have 4 days to average this week, as I don't expect to find a scale on the cruise ship (wouldn't that be something? :lol3:). We ran 9.65 miles last night, a number that sort of blows my mind. :eek: I did that? I am taking my running shoes and one sink-washable exercise outfit, but my real goal is to disconnect and really savor every minute of this experience - enjoy the regional cuisines and the visual feasts, and VACATION!!!

alinnell
06-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Have a great cruise, Becky! I'm counting the days until we leave for our European cruise!

traveling michele
06-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Becky--- I missed that you were cruising-- enjoy! I love cruising!!

I'm mad at the scale and mad at myself. Enough said.

Dh and I are going to Napa overnight Sunday to Monday and planning to indulge. I'm cringing to think of what the scale will say after this getaway if I leave with it being so high. He also wants to "celebrate" my last day of school tomorrow with a nice dinner out, and to "celebrate" dd when she comes home from camp (she's a counselor) on Saturday. The thought of all of this celebrating terrifies me. I'm hoping once I'm off next week I can refocus myself.....

JayZeeJay
06-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Ladies, thank you for the tough love. I'm stepping out of the kitchen now :smug: I'm cutting it off at four days of careless, depressed eating -

dstalksalot: I have two close friends who have both said the same thing, that this has been their worst job-hunting year ever. It seems like the stabilized economy should be helping with obtaining new jobs, but maybe there's such a large group of people who have been waiting for new positions to finally open, that the competition is extra fierce. They did tell me that they had never had so many qualified applicants before.

Shannon in ATL
06-19-2013, 03:53 PM
Jay, I see so many more qualified applicants than I used to see. A few years ago I would get hundreds of people applying for any position and could easily cull out most of them as obviously not qualified for the position. Things have shifted in the last 18 months and now all of the applicants are good ones. I don't know if the lesser qualified people are in lower skilled jobs now and not applying with me, or what. I've also figured that the more qualified folks have been waiting awhile for positions, so are really getting into looking. Sorry you didn't get your job, honey. :(

alinnell
06-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Jay, I see so many more qualified applicants than I used to see. A few years ago I would get hundreds of people applying for any position and could easily cull out most of them as obviously not qualified for the position. Things have shifted in the last 18 months and now all of the applicants are good ones. I don't know if the lesser qualified people are in lower skilled jobs now and not applying with me, or what. I've also figured that the more qualified folks have been waiting awhile for positions, so are really getting into looking. Sorry you didn't get your job, honey. :(

It's so funny (well, not really). On another chat board there's a discussion going on about how horrible the coworkers/employees are these days. Some saying that their coworkers just don't care to learn their jobs, etc. One saying they have a receptionist who refuses to answer the phone. Others talking about working with the "mentally retired" who just come in to collect paychecks but don't really contribute.

I'm just glad we have a 90 day trial period where we have the right to fire the person for any reason if they aren't working out.

traveling michele
06-19-2013, 05:49 PM
Jay-- let me add my well wishes. Where was the job located? You can beat N. Cali!

I'm trying to remind myself of all that I have to be thankful for. Very grouchy that my "fat" jeans are tight and my tummy roll is spilling over them today. I was going to go to lunch with a co-worker and had planned on offering some healthy suggestions. She was late to work and we had a shorter time than planned so we went to the local Chinese place which I despise. I ordered a veggie dish but who knows what was in it. It came with a small cup of hot and sour soup which I also had. I had a small amount of the fried rice but didn't eat the crunchy cracker things or the fortune cookie. I was grouchy with her for limiting our choices but I didn't tell her so. I'm trying to wrap things up at work as I'm fed up in general!

lin43
06-19-2013, 06:24 PM
. . so we went to the local Chinese place which I despise. I ordered a veggie dish but who knows what was in it. It came with a small cup of hot and sour soup which I also had. I had a small amount of the fried rice but didn't eat the crunchy cracker things or the fortune cookie. I was grouchy with her for limiting our choices but I didn't tell her so. I'm trying to wrap things up at work as I'm fed up in general!

Oh, one thing that can get me really irritated is having to go out to eat when I don't especially care for the menu and/or my menu options are limited (in terms of eating healthy). This is the problem I have during the summer. My husband LOVES going for breakfast, but I'm not a big fan of eating breakfast out; I figure, why pay for something that I can prepare more to my liking at home, that isn't all that difficult to make, and whose calories I can control and calculate more precisely if at home? (Dinner is a different story; at least some of the menu items are things I cannot easily prepare at home, so the calories are worth it). So, I've limited him to going out to breakfast twice a week (he would go almost every day if I were game). Sometimes when we go out, though, if I am hungry, I'll succumb to pancakes or something like that, and there's 800 calories or so easily (the minimum number of pancakes to fill me is three, and with syrup, it's a hefty chunk out of my daily calories).

I missed my regular workout today but I got in some treadmill time anyway.

I hope everyone is having a great week so far!

dstalksalot
06-19-2013, 10:12 PM
Jay
I think you are right. People are working, they are just under employed. So I think that is why the applicant quality has increased.

sontaikle
06-19-2013, 10:45 PM
I've been absent from the forum and it (kind of) shows. I'm hoping I can jump in here with the rest of you maintainers. I put on a little bit of weight and I want to get it off. Nothing major, clothes still fit, etc. and I'm betting a lot of it is muscle because I am stronger :)

However, I DON'T want to be in the 120s and I definitely feel it (whether it's muscle or fat I just feel...heavy). 115 was a happy weight for me, so let's see if I can get back there

Mudpie
06-20-2013, 07:18 AM
I've been absent from the forum and it (kind of) shows. I'm hoping I can jump in here with the rest of you maintainers. I put on a little bit of weight and I want to get it off. Nothing major, clothes still fit, etc. and I'm betting a lot of it is muscle because I am stronger :)

However, I DON'T want to be in the 120s and I definitely feel it (whether it's muscle or fat I just feel...heavy). 115 was a happy weight for me, so let's see if I can get back there

:wave: Welcome back!

Shannon in ATL
06-20-2013, 04:32 PM
DH and I booked a b&b in New Orleans for our anniversary in November last night. We usually rent a cabin here in the mountains, and last year didn't go anywhere to save money. This year we decided it had been a tough year and we were spending a week in NOLA. Probably not the smartest financial move yet as we are still in the middle of debt repayment, but I'm excited. We need a vacation. :)

alinnell
06-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Everyone needs to get away now and then. Have fun! I've never been to NOLA but my sister has been there many times.

Mudpie
06-21-2013, 10:43 AM
IS NOLA New Orleans?

alinnell
06-21-2013, 11:27 AM
IS NOLA New Orleans?

Yes.

Feeling a bit discouraged today, but on the upside it is Bring your Dogs to Work day so the two are here with me.

krampus
06-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Just had a tiny muffin from the diabetes-riffic spread downstairs at work. My mouth feels soapy. Was saddened seeing my hallway neighbor (who is quite obese, parks illegally in a handicapped space and takes the elevator when it's maybe a 75 foot walk including the stairs) piling a plate high with donuts talking about how she eats when she's stressed.

Canoeing and camping all weekend! Gonna premiere my new bathing suit. I'm nervous about meeting 12 of BF's awesome friends I've never met but it will be a welcome break from my social group here who are beginning to irritate me since all they do is drink.

saef
06-21-2013, 01:49 PM
Sontaikle, welcome back, and oh yes, I do remember you. We're probably neighbors of a sort, or at least relatively geographically near each other compared with some of the other Maintainer members.

I'm still getting my mind around Thursday morning: I was on my way out of the gym, and the gym's director, a little spitfire with a deep tan and incredible abs & usually some jewelry in her navel, confided in me that she's despondent because she's five pounds overweight. She's lost some definition in her belly and can feel it in her upper thighs, she says. This is a fitness professional, who teaches probably 11 classes a week, in addition to training for half-marathons. And she sounds exactly like me these days. She did say something interesting: That she attributed at least a fraction of the lingering pounds to the prolonged chill & rainy weather of our spring. In the heat, she thinks, it's easier to take off and keep off weight.

As for me, not a great weigh-in. Down from this past Monday. But I woke up with ankles that I could press dents into, which means some fluid retention happening.

silverbirch
06-21-2013, 03:47 PM
She did say something interesting: That she attributed at least a fraction of the lingering pounds to the prolonged chill & rainy weather of our spring. In the heat, she thinks, it's easier to take off and keep off weight.

Interesting. I had a similar conversation with someone on the supermarket checkout who I know from the gymn. We are both half a stone (7ibs) heavier than this time last year which she attributed to the length and depth of the winter and no proper spring. This could be true, could be an urban myth, could be a grain of truth in it. I think there are other factors at work in our cases, though, notably that we're taking less exercise (read "are less active") than we were as she's working more and I still haven't reliably sorted out my SI joint.

JenMusic
06-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Hey, all! I've been MIA this week due to some work stresses and life stresses. Nothing depressing or out of control, but posting needed to be way down the list of priorities. On the plus side, workouts got done and food was (mostly) on target. :) I'm not sure when things will be slowing down for me here, but I'll check in when I'm able.

As for warm weather and weight loss - yes! In fact, I came to that conclusion just today, as I was rejoicing in the summer solstice. Sunlight and warm weather (hot weather, here in GA) makes weight loss and maintenance easier for me. Not easy, mind you, but heavy, bready carbs are easier to turn down and I don't crave sugar as much.

And Shannon, I'm so glad you're going to be getting away! I've been to NOLA once before and loved it. You'll have a blast!

traveling michele
06-21-2013, 11:46 PM
Shannon,
I'm so glad you will get away! I've been to Nola many times, but not since Katrina.

Today was my first day off and it was a busy one! The housecleaning service came and gave me a quote. I've got a deep cleaning set up for Wednesday. Can't wait!

lin43
06-22-2013, 10:42 AM
Hi, all! I hope everyone is having a great weekend so far.

I finished my workout this morning----but almost didn't. Sometimes I really feel as if there is this dark side of me that just wants to throw everything positive in my life down the tubes. I feel like one of those cartoon characters with the angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other. The positive side is the one that goes to the gym at 5:30 a.m., eats and enjoys healthy food, etc. But then there's the other side. It's the side I have to battle several times a week. For example, every Saturday a.m., I go to a CrossFit class on the beach. On my way there, I pass a bakery with scrumptious cupcakes in great flavors. I was physically and mentally tired this morning, and passing a rude jogger (who was jogging in the middle of the street & didn't move even though there was a sidewalk) was just the thing I didn't need; it set me on a mental tirade about how people are so rude these days, where has consideration gone, etc., etc., etc. (Please don't think I'm this way all the time; I was just in that frame of mind this a.m.). Anyway, I parked by the part of the beach where the class is held, and I had the strongest temptation just to skip the workout, drive to that bakery, and get two cupcakes and a giant cookie. I actually put my keys back into the ignition---the will to leave was so strong (and I actually love this class). I stayed, though, and even on the way home, I didn't stop at the bakery.

I wish this were just a matter of willpower, but I think it's even deeper. It's almost like there's a part of me that just wants to say, "to **** with it!" It's a self-destructive part, and it's really tough battling it sometimes.

saef
06-22-2013, 12:43 PM
I wish this were just a matter of willpower, but I think it's even deeper. It's almost like there's a part of me that just wants to say, "to **** with it!" It's a self-destructive part, and it's really tough battling it sometimes.

I get this, though I have thought of the term "creative destruction," which I've heard a lot on my job at a consulting firm.

There's part of me that loves the comfort of a routine, of knowing where I'll be & at what time.

There's another part of me that rebels against routine and wants to kick free, shrug off the harness, and hightail it out of there, looking for something new, an adventure, something unexpected. That's what some foodstuff can represent. It's hard to remember, in the moment, that what I want is stimulation, change, excitement, some kind of sensation that I can feel, and not necessarily food. If I could rewire my brain and not have food spring up as the answer to the question "What am I going to do with myself?" or "I need something new in my life" or "I am craving change," I'd be a lot better off.

Mudpie
06-22-2013, 02:24 PM
I get this, though I have thought of the term "creative destruction," which I've heard a lot on my job at a consulting firm.

There's part of me that loves the comfort of a routine, of knowing where I'll be & at what time.

There's another part of me that rebels against routine and wants to kick free, shrug off the harness, and hightail it out of there, looking for something new, an adventure, something expected. That's what some foodstuff can represent. It's hard to remember, in the moment, that what I want is stimulation, change, excitement, some kind of sensation that I can feel, and not necessarily food. If I could rewire my brain and not have food spring up as the answer to the question "What am I going to do with myself?" or "I need something new in my life" or "I am craving change," I'd be a lot better off.

I tend to fall into that with online shopping. I could use this new house as an excuse to purchase $$$$ worth of stuff. I could also save the money and ease off a bit on the dogwalking as I get older.

I find myself erring on the positive :angel: side more often than the negative :devil:. But it is a struggle. I "lost" about a decade to substance abuse and tend to find myself constantly wanting to experience new things. I am hyper conscious of how much life time I probably have left to do things.

Balance and moderation are key. But sometimes so BORING! :dizzy:

Dagmar :?:

lin43
06-22-2013, 04:36 PM
Saef and Mudpie, I find it really interesting that you both mentioned boredom/routine as the impetus to overeat (Saef) or shop (Mudpie; by the way, shopping can be a problem for me, too). Many years ago, everyone in the office I was working in took the Myers-Briggs Personality Test (I can't even remember why). When we got the results, we shared them with each other. I was stunned at how accurate the test had "typed" my co-workers, which gave me some confidence that it had pegged me correctly as well. I can't even remember what type it put me in, but I do remember one of the comments being that I am the type of person who hates routine. This was actually a surprise to me. I had always thought of myself as someone who wanted routine, but when I read that comment, all of a sudden I realized that it was true and that it explained, to a large extent, why I had always had so much trouble sticking to a diet. Dieting or effecting a "lifestyle change"---whatever you want to call it---requires some planning. That's where I tend to rebel. I don't like planning. It takes the "fun" out of eating. Exercise usually involves routine as well. I think the only reason that I actually love exercise this time around is that I have managed to multitask by combining it with my job (my husband created a tread-desk for me) and the classes I take a the gym are CrossFit/Bootcamp-like classes that involve many different exercises within one hour, so the boredom factor is nil.

Saef, on another thread some time ago, you used a term that sticks in my mind: "food thrill-seeking." The reason I remember that term is that it perfectly describes my mindset toward food. I'm probably the only person I know IRL who actually likes food shopping---especially if it's somewhere like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. I actually plan it out and make a day of it. It's pathetic that food "fun" is that important to me, but I can't lie and say it isn't. I've made huge progress over the years in becoming more realistic about weight loss and maintenance, but certain mindsets about food still linger.

traveling michele
06-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Facing challenge #345,267.... Going to Napa with dh. We will indulge. The scale will respond. I'm starting almost 4 pounds over my redline. But with dh gone so much I need to not be too rigid. My plan is to do insanity this morning before we go, and then hopefully be home tomorrow in time to workout. Looking forward to the short getaway though. I don't think we have ever stayed in a true B&B before. We are also going to Bottega for dinner. We have been once before and it was amazing!

The weather looks crummy too so probably no long walks. Oh well. Happy Sunday everyone!

lin43
06-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Michele, I hope you had a great time!

krampus
06-24-2013, 12:12 PM
I'm probably the only person I know IRL who actually likes food shopping---especially if it's somewhere like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. I actually plan it out and make a day of it. It's pathetic that food "fun" is that important to me, but I can't lie and say it isn't. I've made huge progress over the years in becoming more realistic about weight loss and maintenance, but certain mindsets about food still linger.

I don't understand the mindset that it is pathetic or somehow a personality flaw to enjoy food and get excited about it. Unless this mindset is applied exclusively to "binge days/evenings" where the frenzied collector amasses 5,000 calories of garbage to be devoured in secret followed by shame, I think it's great and healthy. Much better than treating grocery shopping and mealtime like washing sheets or bathroom cleaning.

alinnell
06-24-2013, 12:21 PM
While I don't consider grocery shopping a chore, it isn't nearly as fun as choosing my menus for the week! I often set aside a couple of hours to peruse cookbooks and my own compilation of recipes on my Paprika app. When bored at work I Stumble Upon cooking blogs or visit those sites where I know I'll find something tasty to add to my Paprika. I'll dutifully write down the name of each dish I plan on making for the week and check both pantry and fridge to insure that I have all the ingredients and if not, add it to my grocery list (which is divided into categories such as fruits & vegetables/frozen/meats/dairy/canned & bottle/packaged and misc.).

Somehow, with no help from myself, I managed to lose a pound this weekend.

lin43
06-24-2013, 04:48 PM
While I don't consider grocery shopping a chore, it isn't nearly as fun as choosing my menus for the week! I often set aside a couple of hours to peruse cookbooks and my own compilation of recipes on my Paprika app. When bored at work I Stumble Upon cooking blogs or visit those sites where I know I'll find something tasty to add to my Paprika. I'll dutifully write down the name of each dish I plan on making for the week and check both pantry and fridge to insure that I have all the ingredients and if not, add it to my grocery list (which is divided into categories such as fruits & vegetables/frozen/meats/dairy/canned & bottle/packaged and misc.).

Somehow, with no help from myself, I managed to lose a pound this weekend.

Congrats on your loss!

Wow--you're really organized. My husband says I have a mental block against making a grocery list or if I do make one, I often don't use it. Again, I think it's part of that "food fun" issue I referred to before.

I'm avoiding the scale this week because I feel fat. My shorts even seem a little tight. This is discouraging since I've been eating at or under what I thought were my maintenance calories. For more than a year on maintenance, it seemed like I could eat nearly anything and as long as I stayed within my calories, I would not gain weight. I'm wondering if that has changed because I seem to be gaining now even though I'm doing the same thing (I will weigh myself in a couple of weeks; this week is the pre-period week, so I'm afraid I've retained water).

Mudpie
06-24-2013, 04:49 PM
I like grocery shopping if it's at an unusual store (like the asian or jamaican markets I go to occasionally). Regular grocery shopping is pretty hohum. During the week I tend to cook the same things over and over 'cause I'm tired, they're fast, I know approx. how many cals my portions contain, and there's less chance of DH freaking out over something he has to eat.

I do experiment on weekends when the weather's crappy or I'm not working. That's about 10 weekends per year so our menus are pretty standard.

For me the "food thrill-seeking" occurs when dining out. I keep forcing DH to go to new restos (so many reasonably priced ones in TO to choose from) and I order something different each time.

bargoo
06-25-2013, 10:59 AM

Welcome back ! You can do it !
I've been missing a few days, myself due to a computer crash.

alinnell
06-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Again, with no help from me, the one pound is managing to stay lost. IDK what I'm doing, but I'll take it. 1 pound a month kinda sucks. If I could get it to 1 pound every two weeks I'd be happier.

Ah, Bargoo, computer crashes are no fun!

silverbirch
06-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Those of you who have time between returning to the house (from work or wherever) and making the evening meal, how do you spend that time? I find the "changeover" times from one place to another are difficult to handle at the moment and some days there are too many. I need to mark them somehow without too much fuss or too much food. Traditionally, a cup of tea does the job in Britain but it's not cutting it with me at present. I seem to remember Allison reads her story book which sounds very calm and relaxing.

Today, I've hurtled in from work/school/supermarket, taken some photos, sorted out some work comms, mown the lawn, negotiated and agreed the DB's access to the internet for tonight ... and eaten too much on the run. Now resting before making the tea. It's not very restful.

Shannon in ATL
06-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Birchie - that between time kills me. I find if I do something in the gap I'm okay - ideally exercise, but work in the garden helps, too. If I'm idle I snack.

alinnell
06-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Birchie~it really all depends on what time I get home from work. If I keep myself at work until 4 PM and get home around 4:30, I'm pretty busy right up until dinner time--feeding the animals, cleaning the kitchen (despite trying to keep the cats off of the counters, I know that they still jump up there), and fixing dinner. On the days that I'm super slow at work I'll leave as early as 3 PM and then I have oodles of time on my hands. Those are the days I might sit down with my book or work in my book of crosswords. Snacking hasn't been an issue lately. If I'm hungry, I'll allow myself a moderate snack and then leave the kitchen. I was being quite diligent about getting on the treadmill in the afternoon, but taking a second shower each day was getting monotonous and I've given up. I know that isn't the right thing to do, but I just cannot for the life of me grasp the notion of getting up earlier to exercise.

silverbirch
06-25-2013, 03:14 PM
I feel quite tired by 4pm so I want to stop but know I have to start again quite soon. I get up at 6am and it's usually non-stop, one way or another, until I get in. I think I'll have to start making a pot of tea again and sit down for a set time. (Sometimes I'm so tired I just go to bed for an hour. That's when the light's gone off too late for me, several nights on the trot. Yes, I do need my sleep.)

Mudpie
06-25-2013, 04:40 PM
I feel quite tired by 4pm so I want to stop but know I have to start again quite soon. I get up at 6am and it's usually non-stop, one way or another, until I get in. I think I'll have to start making a pot of tea again and sit down for a set time. (Sometimes I'm so tired I just go to bed for an hour. That's when the light's gone off too late for me, several nights on the trot. Yes, I do need my sleep.)

I get up any time between 3 and 5 a.m. (not by choice). I start work @ 8 and usually get home by 4 p.m. at the latest depending on how busy I am any particular week. I have the same routine - shower, eat a protein snack (usually cheese or similar), drink a hot drink in winter/cold in summer, feed cats, 20 min. nap, and start dinner prep around 5:30 or 6 p.m.

That provides a much needed break in the day, some fuel - both food and drink, and sometimes even a bit of extra sleep. That gives me the energy to get through dinner, chores, cat activities, housework, work prep for the next day, and some TV time with DH.

traveling michele
06-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Birchie-- I tend to struggle with this more in the summer when I'm not working. I keep wandering into the kitchen thinking I'm hungry when most often I'm not.

My housecleaner is coming tomorrow for the first time and will be doing a "deep clean". I'm spending much of today trying to put stuff away so they can actually get to everything to clean.

Dh and I had fun in Napa (overnight). As suspected my weight has shot up. I came back yesterday and got to bikram and went again this morning. I'm probably going to go to UJam this afternoon too. I'm trying to stay uber focused and get back to my redline by the time I go to Houston to help dd move (mid July).

Tonight, however, we are taking younger dd out to our favorite Italian restaurant. I ALWAYS have trouble staying out of trouble there but I have a plan. We order an amazing bruschetta and it comes with three pieces so I will have one. I won't have any other bread. I will not have my usual wedge salad, but instead will have minestrone soup. For my main, I will order whatever fish special they have and will ask to substitute veggies if it comes with potatoes or the like. That's the plan anyway-- I'll get back to you on whether or not I stick to it! Obviously no dessert or alcohol for me....

saef
06-25-2013, 11:07 PM
No such interval in my life just now. I get up about 4:30 am, have breakfast, head to the gym at 5:40 am, have to be at my desk between 8:30 - 9 AM, which could mean commuting to CT, leaving by 8 AM, or hopping in the shower and then sitting down at my desk at home. I end work anywhere from 6 PM to 8 PM, make dinner (or if I haven't had a morning workout, go to the gym then), and I'm in bed by 9-10 PM.

As for grocery shopping, I've been through a period when I was obsessed with it, practically, going over the ads for the bargains, visiting three stores to cherrypick from sales. And I've been through periods when I try to cram it in during the evening commute. Usually though I go at 7 AM on Saturday morning, before the day really starts, and try to hit two stores quickly. I find it a source of stress & plan it like a Navy Seal mission, down to imagining the aisles in my head and what I'll grab on the way.

traveling michele
06-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Tonight, however, we are taking younger dd out to our favorite Italian restaurant. I ALWAYS have trouble staying out of trouble there but I have a plan. We order an amazing bruschetta and it comes with three pieces so I will have one. I won't have any other bread. I will not have my usual wedge salad, but instead will have minestrone soup. For my main, I will order whatever fish special they have and will ask to substitute veggies if it comes with potatoes or the like. That's the plan anyway-- I'll get back to you on whether or not I stick to it! Obviously no dessert or alcohol for me....

Operation Italian restaurant was a success!
They didn't have minestrone soup which threw me for a curve. However, I got the soup of the day which was a crab and corn chowder (small cup). For my main, I had the fish special which was salmon over grilled zucchini. My weight was actually down today! :carrot: Now to keep going to get back to my redline weight. :o

alinnell
06-26-2013, 08:30 PM
That one missing pound from Sunday is still mysteriously gone as of this morning. That said, I'm fixing a rather carb-heavy meal for dinner tonight so it might show back up tomorrow.

Congrats on the Italian restaurant success, Michele!

Mudpie
06-27-2013, 07:16 AM
Operation Italian restaurant was a success!
They didn't have minestrone soup which threw me for a curve. However, I got the soup of the day which was a crab and corn chowder (small cup). For my main, I had the fish special which was salmon over grilled zucchini. My weight was actually down today! :carrot: Now to keep going to get back to my redline weight. :o

:cp: Well done!

I'm hoping other people's successes here will provide some much needed motivation for me. I have gone rather badly off the rails lately probably due to a combination of fear and excitement. I am actually going to own a house. We're going in for our first "visit" and the HVAC guys are meeting with us next Wed.

I am generally a very responsible person and I know I will enjoy having a house. But the responsibilities and legalities of it all are kind of daunting. I do have DH to rely on - have to keep reminding myself I'm not doing this alone.

Dagmar :eek:

Shannon in ATL
06-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Great job with the Italian, Michele! Woo!

You can do this, Dagmar. Buying a home is one of the top five stressors, I think. It will be done soon, then you can work on getting everything the way that you want it. :)

I'm trying to pull myself together. Exercised the last three days, trying to eat better. I bought some trail mix on Tuesday, but I'm not ready for that yet so it needs to go in the trash once I'm back in my office. Had to go to a restaurant today, 1.5 hours from my house, to investigate a harassment issue. On the personal side, I feel like things keep whacking me around this month. Things have slowed a little, but the month has overall been pretty terrible. Here's hoping July will be better.

alinnell
06-27-2013, 10:21 AM
Interestingly enough, the pound is still gone this morning.

I've been trying new recipes this week. Some are of the light, lower calorie type but that one last night sure wasn't! Tonight we'll have leftovers to clean out the fridge and then tomorrow will be an interesting vegetarian lasagna with the "alfredo" sauce made from cauliflower. Sounds interesting.

Mudpie
06-27-2013, 10:45 AM
Shannon I hope July will be more positive for you. :cheer2:

traveling michele
06-27-2013, 12:31 PM
Hang in there Shannon. Why do you need to throw out the trail mix? Too tempting? I had way too many grapes yesterday (again). Sigh.

Allison-- you sound baffled about your loss. Take it and run!

I'm carless today. It will be a challenge not to graze in the kitchen (there are more grapes in the fridge-- they were on sale!). I know what I should do-- go upstairs and tackle my closet. But that doesn't sound fun does it!!?

We are probably going to see Monsters University tonight. Hopefully going to the gym first and sushi but we'll see when everyone (with cars!) gets home.

Tomorrow dh is driving up to Spokane to start helping dd pack. He is bringing a car full of stuff-- table and chairs, etc. so hopefully it fits in my car. The plan is to pack what he brings plus what she is moving into a Pod to ship. They will also craigslist some of the things that she doesn't need. It should be very busy as she is finishing her masters and has barely started packing. They will pack/move for a few days then drive back here with her truck and my car (plus her cat and service dog). The plan is for them to be back July 3. Younger dd and I will have to share one car while they're gone so it should be interesting-- hopefully she "lets" me drive her to work so I have a car those days.

My housecleaners had to reschedule so they are coming July 3. I had spent the day getting ready for them. Now we have more time to prepare but the house looks like it's getting messier, not cleaner!!

I found out my principal is leaving-- she took an important position at the district office. She is the only principal the school has had (and my only principal for the past seven years). I'm worried about who will take her place.

saef
06-28-2013, 09:50 AM
What a weigh-in this morning: 148.9. I don't know whether to be glad that my scale is so exquisitely calibrated or to feel a bit sad that a lot of work on my part and vigilance about what I ate while out at the B&B in Connecticut only resulted in a fraction of a shift downward.

I feel like I've got other things to think about, and this is lower on the list, though still there. As it always is and ever will be.

JayZeeJay
06-28-2013, 06:25 PM
I feel like I've got other things to think about, and this is lower on the list, though still there. As it always is and ever will be.

This is my problem lately. I have been so busy with work that extends past 10-hour days into working at home on nights and weekends, plus squeezing in whatever "life" I can, that weight management has officially gone to the very back burner. I haven't weighed in weeks, and haven't really thought about food other than how to squeeze in a meal when I can. In a way, this feels healthy - like this is how "normal" people might treat eating, and that weight is something that you really shouldn't think about that often.

But I've been in this place before, and it eventually ends in a somewhat shocking weigh-in where I discover that lack of vigilance alone, even without overt excessive eating, has allowed me to creep up beyond my comfort zone and back into the "hard work now required to fix this" zone. I know that maintenance is really yo-yoing on a short string...it's when the string gets longer and longer that trouble starts.

Mudpie
06-28-2013, 06:40 PM
This is my problem lately. I have been so busy with work that extends past 10-hour days into working at home on nights and weekends, plus squeezing in whatever "life" I can, that weight management has officially gone to the very back burner. I haven't weighed in weeks, and haven't really thought about food other than how to squeeze in a meal when I can. In a way, this feels healthy - like this is how "normal" people might treat eating, and that weight is something that you really shouldn't think about that often.

But I've been in this place before, and it eventually ends in a somewhat shocking weigh-in where I discover that lack of vigilance alone, even without overt excessive eating, has allowed me to creep up beyond my comfort zone and back into the "hard work now required to fix this" zone. I know that maintenance is really yo-yoing on a short string...it's when the string gets longer and longer that trouble starts.

I like your comment about the yo-yo string - mine has become a bungee cord of late :lol3:.

saef
06-30-2013, 03:44 PM
I'd be a lot better off with my body image if, whenever someone gave me a compliment, I didn't inwardly gape at them, and in my mind, start stuttering: "But ... but ... but ... but ..." as I remember all my shortcomings.

This all happens inside of me, since I've learned not to verbally deflect compliments. That doesn't mean my thinking has caught up with my behaviors.

Yesterday, it was when I was talking back from the gym, passing through our communal gardens. I had on a spandexy sort of gym tank, because of the really high humidity level, which somehow also invades even the well-airconditioned gym. I attribute the shaping power of spandex to my sweet upstairs neighbor, Mary, poking me in the belly and saying, "Look, you're flat there. You have no roll at all." She's in her late 70s & said this with some wonderment & I like her very, very much, so that's why I wasn't offended at being touched.

It took all my will to thank her and not launch into some overly detailed explanation, which would have sounded something like this: "Actually, no, I'm not. I'm a bit dehydrated from my workout, which helps. But I have a B-shaped belly with a flat lower half and a rounded upper half. Some of this is because of loose skin from losing over 100 pounds after being obese for many decades. Tight elastic-enforced clothing like this is actually my friend because it compresses the loose skin and the remaining pebbly fat cells."

That's my interior monologue.

Why can't I just let it go? I stared at her, this very kind woman who's someone's great aunt. I wanted to believe her. I knew better. Then the self-castigation.

What a lot of time & energy I waste thinking about this subject.

traveling michele
06-30-2013, 05:58 PM
Saef--- someday you and I will meet. We will sit down, perhaps having coffee, and chat at length about our frustrations and similarities. Maybe it will never happen, but I definitely feel a kinship to you.

Your Spanx story reminded me of something my hubby said to me about a week ago. He very nicely suggested I get Spanx. He thought I would love them. I was surprised by his suggestion, but then he told me how much he likes his Spanx. He doesn't have Spanx. He meant spandex. I thought it was hilarious and am glad I wasn't offended before I figured it out!

I am having my own deep frustrations lately. I truly cannot figure out why I've gained weight over the last year. My age? My thyroid? I don't know but it is making me so frustrated that I want to give up sometimes. I have all but eliminated processed foods, I continue to exercise virtually daily, and only eat something off plan once a month or less. It could be too much fruit, but really?! It makes me p**sed that I could eat so healthy, exercise, and do everything right, yet my weight keeps creeping up. I'm going to my endocrinologist soon and I've complained about the gain to him before and he doesn't seem all that sympathetic. I know that I'm still "small" and at a healthy weight, so it seems like they don't care. It reminds me of when I was young and trying to get pregnant. I started trying to get pregnant when I was 21 (I got married at 20) and suffered through years of infertility and miscarriages. Because I was young, doctors didn't really feel the need to investigate. If I was 35, they would have been more aggressive.

Just venting here.....
I went to Zumba this morning and will go to Bikram this afternoon. I'll just keep on keeping on as I don't know what else to do.

bargoo
06-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Saef--- someday you and I will meet. We will sit down, perhaps having coffee, and chat at length about our frustrations and similarities. Maybe it will never happen, but I definitely feel a kinship to you.

Your Spanx story reminded me of something my hubby said to me about a week ago. He very nicely suggested I get Spanx. He thought I would love them. I was surprised by his suggestion, but then he told me how much he likes his Spanx. He doesn't have Spanx. He meant spandex. I thought it was hilarious and am glad I wasn't offended before I figured it out!

I am having my own deep frustrations lately. I truly cannot figure out why I've gained weight over the last year. My age? My thyroid? I don't know but it is making me so frustrated that I want to give up sometimes. I have all but eliminated processed foods, I continue to exercise virtually daily, and only eat something off plan once a month or less. It could be too much fruit, but really?! It makes me p**sed that I could eat so healthy, exercise, and do everything right, yet my weight keeps creeping up. I'm going to my endocrinologist soon and I've complained about the gain to him before and he doesn't seem all that sympathetic. I know that I'm still "small" and at a healthy weight, so it seems like they don't care. It reminds me of when I was young and trying to get pregnant. I started trying to get pregnant when I was 21 (I got married at 20) and suffered through years of infertility and miscarriages. Because I was young, doctors didn't really feel the need to investigate. If I was 35, they would have been more aggressive.

Just venting here.....
I went to Zumba this morning and will go to Bikram this afternoon. I'll just keep on keeping on as I don't know what else to do.

About how many calories a day do you eat ?

traveling michele
07-01-2013, 01:46 AM
Bargoo--- good question and I'm not exactly sure-- I don't count calories. I lost my weight with Weight Watchers so I count points. I haven't been tracking lately but I'm pretty sure I'm staying within my points. Obviously, one thing to try would be to go back to tracking-- whether points or calories. I was tracking religiously and still gaining though. A few years ago (while on Weight Watchers), I tracked my calories as I was curious as to how my calorie intake compared to my points. At that point, I was eating 1300-1400 a day. I might be eating a little more now but I don't really think so.

Mega exercise today-- so I'm hoping maybe I'll see a whoosh tomorrow. That would certainly help my mindset at this point.

saef
07-01-2013, 10:48 AM

Ah, Michele, I'd like that. We'll go out for an Acai bowl -- do I have the name of the thing right? And we'll talk together & completely understand each other's frustration with the concept of homeostasis, and how our bodies have cleverly adapted to the nearly continual calorie limitation and all the exercise we engage in.

This week I'm trying to find some love inside myself for my legs. After all, they are strong and get me through a lot of cardio. They're highly functional. But their appearance leaves much to be desired. I wish I were less of an aesthete & then I wouldn't be so hard on myself.

bargoo
07-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Bargoo--- good question and I'm not exactly sure-- I don't count calories. I lost my weight with Weight Watchers so I count points. I haven't been tracking lately but I'm pretty sure I'm staying within my points. Obviously, one thing to try would be to go back to tracking-- whether points or calories. I was tracking religiously and still gaining though. A few years ago (while on Weight Watchers), I tracked my calories as I was curious as to how my calorie intake compared to my points. At that point, I was eating 1300-1400 a day. I might be eating a little more now but I don't really think so.

Mega exercise today-- so I'm hoping maybe I'll see a whoosh tomorrow. That would certainly help my mindset at this point.

I wish I could give you advice that would be 100% guaranteed to work. I am at a good place tight now but that hasn't always been the case. I have had my share of stalls, plateaus and other stumbling blocks. The one thing that I have done right is I did not give up. Oh, I have in the past but somewhere along the line I realized that was a self defeating attitude. I do count calories and even more importantly I plan my menus for the day, everyday. My menus are not carved in stone so I may alter them , staying within my calorie allotment. I sometimes binge and when I do I keep it to one day and it usually does not do any harm , except mentally. I go to restaurants and social events and try to practice portion control but generally a little more lenient with my choices than everyday at home eating. My best piece of advice. Do Not give up !

traveling michele
07-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Thanks Bargoo for the support. You are right. Giving up surely isn't the answer.

Yes, Saef, you got it correct. I'd like that.

I was quite a grouch this morning when I awoke expecting a whoosh and I was actually up on the scale! How could that be? I did zumba (and I move and jump like crazy) and bikram yoga in 100 degree temps (outside). I was so irrationally mad but forced myself to go to bikram as planned. Someone was in "MY SPOT"- how rude. So, I had to practice in a different spot. I had some major soul searching during yoga. I started off MAD at myself, but then I realized I was directing my anger towards the wrong person. I am doing everything I can, so being mad at myself is fruitless. I redirected my anger to my body (also not very productive) and my scale. As class went on, I got less angry and left in a pretty good place. I know I shouldn't weigh myself after class but I do sometimes--- if I'm lucky I'm the same (I drink two big smart waters during class). I was down over 2 pounds! Hmmmm..... I'm making sure to eat lightly and smartly today and I'm about to go to body pump. Sometimes body pump causes my weight to increase but I'm hoping it will be down tomorrow just a little bit! I'm taking a friend out to lunch tomorrow so that is always tricky but I've given her a few healthier options to choose from. Gotta keep on keeping on....

Mudpie
07-02-2013, 07:31 AM
I am on my first day without energy drinks. I feel really nervous. Stupid yes but this is a repeat of what I went through with the diet cola. I got to the point where I felt weird :spid: without any in the house. For me that spells trouble.

So no more Rockstar or M or any of the others. I will probably substitute ONE iced coffee (which I make myself) for the several cans of e drinks I've been consuming every day. Healthier and much cheaper. Win/win. :D

Dagmar :yikes:

JayZeeJay
07-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Mudpie: Totally a win/win! Energy drinks are scary when used regularly. I know a very successful person who sleeps 4 hours each night then wakes up, starts in with some diet Red Bulls and keeps them going all day. If the constant flow of Red Bulls stops, so does the person's productivity - in a very serious way. It seems like a bad way to live on a daily basis. Good for you!!

I finally weighed myself - and I'm 137.5, exactly what I was a month ago. I think I will stick to weighing every month and that's it. It helps my sanity to not weigh daily and to avoid seeing the constant weight fluctuations due to water/hormones/large meals.

Mudpie
07-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Mudpie: Totally a win/win! Energy drinks are scary when used regularly. I know a very successful person who sleeps 4 hours each night then wakes up, starts in with some diet Red Bulls and keeps them going all day. If the constant flow of Red Bulls stops, so does the person's productivity - in a very serious way. It seems like a bad way to live on a daily basis. Good for you!!

I finally weighed myself - and I'm 137.5, exactly what I was a month ago. I think I will stick to weighing every month and that's it. It helps my sanity to not weigh daily and to avoid seeing the constant weight fluctuations due to water/hormones/large meals.

Yeah, I was waking up around 2 or 3 a.m. and having an energy drink to quell the caffeine cravings enough that I could maybe get back to sleep for a couple of hours. I should be on Shatner's "Weird or What" :lol3:.

And I drank 2 per day and 2 coffees. I can imagine what quaffing Red Bulls (which to me taste like cough medicine :barf:) all day would do to a person. I imagine they would be in some sort of hyper-caffeinated daze and only appear to be productive.

But I am just dragging now and probably will fall asleep at the dentist. They love that I'm so relaxed - they were all truly impressed one year when I fell asleep during root canal - as most of their patients are the opposite.

Tomorrow will be better. My body is quite predicatable in withdrawing from things and I still clearly remember the diet cola experience. At the end of the week I will feel such RELIEF that I'm not throwing these chemicals into my body any more.

Dagmar :tired: :faint:

lin43
07-03-2013, 09:31 PM
I'd be a lot better off with my body image if, whenever someone gave me a compliment, I didn't inwardly gape at them, and in my mind, start stuttering: "But ... but ... but ... but ..." as I remember all my shortcomings.

. . .
Why can't I just let it go?

Good question. When you get the answer, let me know; I do this, too. The only time I tend to be easy on myself is when I'm internally "defending" myself from hurtful comments. So, what's the solution---seek more hurtful comments? Nah--probably not a good solution.

May I take a minute to unload about competitive people at the gym? They irk me. A few months ago, I switched gyms. My old gym had some lovely classes with some great women of various ages---from 18 - 70. We all seemed to have similar goals---e.g., get in shape, get healthier, etc. I had a great rapport with the participants and the instructor. I switched gyms, though, because the current gym's class schedule is so much more convenient for me and the classes are more intense, so I'm getting a great workout. The problem is that the people in my current class (mostly men, and a few women) are so different from the crowd at the old gym. In this class, the people are so competitive and "hard core," even the women (and they're not youngsters---mid 30's to mid 40's). It's as if the goal is not just getting in shape; it's about beating someone else's time or one's own best time. (They even have real competitions every once in a while). It reminds me so much of gym class in high school----and, yes, I was always the last or next-to-last person to finish whatever exercise we were doing. I try my personal best, and believe me I push myself----but not to the point where I feel an injury could occur. (Two people in class already have injuries---one that requires surgery---and they're still doing hardcore routines). But I almost feel looked down on in this class. The others are nice to me, but I sense a patronizing attitude as if "you're not one of us" because I don't have their "balls-to-the-wall" attitude. I wish I could keep this class' schedule and intensity and switch the people :). Anyway, that's my official whine for the day.

Hope everyone has a great 4th!

saef
07-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Lin, I agree, it hurts to grow, to reach a certain level of competency and mastery in something and then, once you've pushed yourself to move onto the next level, to once again be humbled and relegated to a near-beginner. I've experienced this in the gym, in college, in writing courses, on the job. It's growing pains. And also partly because you are the new kid in school in your gym class.

I think that once you become friends with at least one or two other people, you will feel better.

Or you may decide you have a limit to how hard you want to push in a particular area of your life, and there are other things you want to attain mastery in, rather than overachieving in all areas of your life.

But please don't back off from going to the gym at all, though, as that would not be a good outcome.

Mudpie
07-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Good question. When you get the answer, let me know; I do this, too. The only time I tend to be easy on myself is when I'm internally "defending" myself from hurtful comments. So, what's the solution---seek more hurtful comments? Nah--probably not a good solution.

May I take a minute to unload about competitive people at the gym? They irk me. A few months ago, I switched gyms. My old gym had some lovely classes with some great women of various ages---from 18 - 70. We all seemed to have similar goals---e.g., get in shape, get healthier, etc. I had a great rapport with the participants and the instructor. I switched gyms, though, because the current gym's class schedule is so much more convenient for me and the classes are more intense, so I'm getting a great workout. The problem is that the people in my current class (mostly men, and a few women) are so different from the crowd at the old gym. In this class, the people are so competitive and "hard core," even the women (and they're not youngsters---mid 30's to mid 40's). It's as if the goal is not just getting in shape; it's about beating someone else's time or one's own best time. (They even have real competitions every once in a while). It reminds me so much of gym class in high school----and, yes, I was always the last or next-to-last person to finish whatever exercise we were doing. I try my personal best, and believe me I push myself----but not to the point where I feel an injury could occur. (Two people in class already have injuries---one that requires surgery---and they're still doing hardcore routines). But I almost feel looked down on in this class. The others are nice to me, but I sense a patronizing attitude as if "you're not one of us" because I don't have their "balls-to-the-wall" attitude. I wish I could keep this class' schedule and intensity and switch the people :). Anyway, that's my official whine for the day.

Hope everyone has a great 4th!

From your post to me it sounds like the goal at your old gym is health and personal fitness and the goal at the new gym is showing of, even at the risk of injury. If it were me I'd be running back to the old gym. I too am not adept at many physical things but I enjoy them. I do not enjoy being with people who are pushing me by sneering at me. I like support, not competition.

I would pick "Bob", rather than "Jillian", to be my trainer (America's Biggest Loser). I have no use for someone who hectors me and abuses me and tells me I'm not trying hard enough. BAH!

Dagmar :bike:

lin43
07-09-2013, 08:17 AM
Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend! How did you guys do with food and exercise? The 4th isn't a big challenge for me in terms of eating because most of the foods are grilled and I like fruit enough to substitute it for dessert (if the dessert isn't too tempting!)

Lin, I agree, it hurts to grow, to reach a certain level of competency and mastery in something and then, once you've pushed yourself to move onto the next level, to once again be humbled and relegated to a near-beginner. I've experienced this in the gym, in college, in writing courses, on the job. It's growing pains.

How true! The positive part is that this has given me renewed empathy for my students who struggle with writing issues (I teach English). It can be so frustrating at times to teach numerous lessons on the same topic, show examples, etc., and still see those same errors in students' writing, but being a part of this gym class has helped me to be even more patient with the students who struggle with writing.

I think that once you become friends with at least one or two other people, you will feel better.

Or you may decide you have a limit to how hard you want to push in a particular area of your life, and there are other things you want to attain mastery in, rather than overachieving in all areas of your life.

But please don't back off from going to the gym at all, though, as that would not be a good outcome.

Naw--no chance of that. Actually, there are a couple of nice women there. Their goals are different from mine (they're definitely more self-competitive), but they are encouraging. I have a feeling that the personality of this class is mainly due to the higher male-to-female ratio than in my previous class.

I like support, not competition

This sums up my preference, exactly.

I'm off to visit my family for a couple of weeks, but I think it will be easy to stay on track. Even though we all like to eat, my sisters like to keep in shape, too, and we're all aware of keeping our weight down.

Everyone have a great day!

ICUwishing
07-09-2013, 09:01 AM
4th of July weekend wasn't too bad for me, except for DS14's 24-hour birthday party. Between the vacation and the party/long weekend, my loss target kind of fell to the bottom of the priority list. I am getting my act back together slowly and implementing the first and most important step that helped me lose - 1/3 reduction in portion size. I need to back away from wanting to feel full (as opposed to satiated) after meals. That's all I want to work on this week.

Shannon in ATL
07-09-2013, 11:42 AM
4th of July weekend ended up not bad for me, either. No big plans, so no huge over eating and got my exercise in.

krampus
07-09-2013, 12:15 PM
I'm 119.2 this morning, probably in large part due to the fact that I did not time meals well yesterday around my fillings and by the time my face was un-numb it was "too late" to eat a full meal. Many hours were spent headachey and distressed at how HUNGRY I was. Ended up having yogurt and peanut butter, a veggie smoothie that was too disgusting to finish, and my BF made couscous.

First gym in 6 days this AM. I am filled with manic energy.

silverbirch
07-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Back from hot & steamy London feeling very bloated and lumpy. My legs are particularly bad. I don't do well in the heat. I'm concentrating on some of my better features (lovely skin, good hair) until I can shoo away the bloat.

I've got to buckle down. The school holidays start tomorrow (this afternoon - now!) and I often lose the will to live and eat properly towards the end.

saef
07-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Birchie, oh, I know that particular misery. I had an evening earlier this week when I could feel how very tight my skin was over my swollen legs whenever I stood up. There wasn't much slack to enable that slight crease of skin at the top & front of the foot where it joins the leg. It was that sausage casing look. For me, I'm pretty sure it was due to chewing through two consecutive packs of sugarfree gum and sitting at a desk with my legs dangling for hours on end. I keep meaning to try the legs-up-wall yoga pose to see if that helps.

I'm seeing the dark cloud of work lift a little this week but not before the storms of conducting midyear reviews with each of my team members.

saef
07-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Back from hot & steamy London feeling very bloated and lumpy.

Birchie, you were in London?!!!

Did you see the Giant Colin Firth statue?????????

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2013/07/giant-statue-wet-colin-firth-obviously-kind-creepy/66918/

silverbirch
07-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Saef - what a mad piece of publicity! (Who on earth is UKTV and what is their drama channel?) No, I didn't see it so that means you have to get over here and take me for a stroll along the Serpentine and then we'll have a cup of tea.

I did manage a hair cut, a couple of business meetings and an overnight stay with friends. It was the most relaxed trip for years, for some reason.

I'm reassured that your legs get like this too. Do your legs actually dangle when you're at your desk? That doesn't sound good. I spend a lot of time with my legs elevated at home but I didn't in London. I did drink loads of water as I felt very dehydrated: I thought this was good but perhaps it was a cause. And I walked, of course, except when I was on the train or the tube. It was a fleeting, 24-hour trip so that won't have helped. Will do legs up the wall and report back. Does it do any more than use gravity, do you think?

Sorry if the above's a bit garbled. I'm on the phone, in bed and quite tired.

Shannon in ATL
07-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Saef - could you put a step under your desk to put your feet on so they won't dangle? That isn't good for you.

kittycat40
07-11-2013, 07:30 PM
add mine to the aching swollen legs around here

hi all :)

haven't been posting much, partly because im running here and there and partly because I have been downright moody and pissy.

Trying to count my blessings because overall, everything is really just fine! Now that im typing this out, im thinking maybe it is simply is a matter of burning the candle at both ends.

i decided to keep a daily blessing chart as a way of reminding myself. but haven't quite followed thru on that yet ;)

interesting occurrence- I finally bought clothing that fits my smaller body (had a severe wardrobe crisis) and now have overeaten- on garbage, on purpose, for the past several days. hmm. self-sabotage?

Shannon in ATL
07-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Hey, KC! :) Don't self sabotage the new clothes.

I have also been burning the candle at both ends for a while, and pretty much crashed a few weeks ago. Since then I've been working my way back up - I've been eating better and exercising for about a month, with the last 12 days being perfectly on point with exercise every day and food being pretty spot on. I am starting to feel better, and am getting back to having some energy to spare instead of feeling worn and rundown all the time.

ICUwishing
07-12-2013, 03:05 PM
After the memorial service, I found a pint of B&J's "Chocolate Therapy" in the freezer. Good things: 1. I didn't eat all of it. 2. DS helped. 3. There's still about a third of a pint left. What is it about "comfort food"? Why can't I learn to go for a "comfort run" or "comfort swim"? Argh.

Shannon in ATL
07-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Becky - I ask myself the same thing. I feel much better if I happen to choose a 'comfort run' or 'comfort yoga', but I still reach for the Chocolate Therapy. Good job on not eating all of it. :)

ICUwishing
07-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Thanks, Shannon!

I continue to bounce around the 151-154 range. It's "okay" ... things fit, I can wear regular clothes, and I'm still weighing regularly and keeping track of my daily steps. Problem is - it feels like a 60% effort. I am coasting. I think I'll let my head run wild for a few days and consider all my potential paths. It may be time for a course correction.

Mudpie
07-13-2013, 08:23 AM
Thanks, Shannon!

I continue to bounce around the 151-154 range. It's "okay" ... things fit, I can wear regular clothes, and I'm still weighing regularly and keeping track of my daily steps. Problem is - it feels like a 60% effort. I am coasting. I think I'll let my head run wild for a few days and consider all my potential paths. It may be time for a course correction.

I think I am at a similar point Becky. I am, for the second Saturday, hungover and bloated from beer and chips last night. I keep thinking DH will suddenly be happy about the new house and start celebrating (for real) with me. So when he talks about how unhappy he is I indulge in these self-destructive behaviours I thought I'd left behind. I am disgusted with myself for doing this and it stops today. I'm not going to waste any more of my life hurting myself because I feel guilty about not making him happy. He has to make himself happy.

I guess for now I'll have to be happy alone face-to-face and post here with my online friends. I keep forgetting that I DO have a support system here.

Dagmar (:( but going to be :cool:)

bargoo
07-13-2013, 11:02 AM
Not o get too personal here, Dagmar but isn't this YOUR house ?

Mudpie
07-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Not o get too personal here, Dagmar but isn't this YOUR house ?

Yes it is. But DH will be living there with me and sharing in the expenses and maintenance. We had a chat this morning and we are both going to try to change some of our behaviours toward each other. We tend to sulk and try to read each other's minds instead of talking to each other about the big stuff.

Dumb. Just like the beer and chips. Dumb. We can and will do better.

Dagmar :o

alinnell
07-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Although it is just one week before I leave for vacation, I have decided not to wait until after my vacation to get back into diet mode. Yesterday I stocked up on egg whites and this morning had a huge plate of scrambled egg whites for breakfast. I even managed to NOT put any cheese on them--just a little salsa. That will be my breakfast this week. I still have a little Greek yogurt and some blueberries that will give me one or two snacks this week. I also bought some apples (which I will eat SANS peanut butter--or I might mix up some PB2 to put on them). I have salad items on hand for dinners. I'll see what else I can do that will help jump start me into loss mode.

CherryPie99
07-15-2013, 12:41 PM
My 2 week vacation has ended and so it is back to reality for me today!! We hosted a huge family reunion on Saturday and "Fat Jen" took the opportunity to suck down as many unhealthy things as possible. Including "double doozies" which I had never heard of before!

I feel lucky that I am up "only" .2 pounds over redline this morning.

I hit my goal weight of 119 on July 29, 2012, so my goal is to be less then that in 2 weeks for the anniversary.

I know a lot of people find the winter hard to keep the lbs off, but for me, summer is MUCH harder!

Jen

alinnell
07-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Has anyone ever seen these? Zaggora (http://zaggora.com/atomica-hotpants/). Do you suppose they work?

silverbirch
07-15-2013, 03:45 PM
It seems that Zaggora breached the UK's advertising laws by overclaiming. The Advertising Standards Authority told them to go and get some proper evidence (http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2012/8/Celu_Lite-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_179699.aspx)

and they asked the Chelsea School of Sport, University of Brighton to test them. Granted I'm on the phone, but the first place I can see the results is here (http://makeupuniversity.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/zagorra-hot-pants-hot-and-worth-it-for.html?m=1). Makeup University?

So I really don't know. Would you like to be our guinea-pig, Allison??

Shannon in ATL
07-15-2013, 03:54 PM
I looked them up after getting an ad for them Allison, and now I get google ads for them ALL THE TIME. LOL

And I'm greatly entertained by "Makeup University".

I suspect they will go the way of the Sketchers Shape Up.

alinnell
07-15-2013, 03:55 PM
I don't know. They're kind of cute. Maybe when I get back from vacation I'll order a pair.

Mudpie
07-15-2013, 05:17 PM
Has anyone ever seen these? Zaggora (http://zaggora.com/atomica-hotpants/). Do you suppose they work?

:rofl: I don't think much of these Allison for weight loss (unless making me laugh really hard burned some extra cals :p) but you're right - they are cute!

Dagmar :D

JayZeeJay
07-15-2013, 06:05 PM
It looks like they claim to retain heat and slightly increase core body temperature, contributing to increased calorie burn - is that right?

A researcher I know works in the field of heat extraction to increase aerobic and resistance exercise endurance. One bottom line of his research is that increased core body temperature, especially in a warm/hot environment, will substantially decrease aerobic endurance. So I wonder if wearing 'heat-trapping' clothing to exercise is a good idea??

Realistically though, it seems that the likely outcome will be that nothing changes - after all you're still just wearing clothes, not military armor.

Mudpie
07-15-2013, 06:17 PM
It looks like they claim to retain heat and slightly increase core body temperature, contributing to increased calorie burn - is that right?

A researcher I know works in the field of heat extraction to increase aerobic and resistance exercise endurance. One bottom line of his research is that increased core body temperature, especially in a warm/hot environment, will substantially decrease aerobic endurance. So I wonder if wearing 'heat-trapping' clothing to exercise is a good idea??

Realistically though, it seems that the likely outcome will be that nothing changes - after all you're still just wearing clothes, not military armor.

Funny - I apparently give off a lot of body heat. DH likens sleeping with me to sleeping with a piglet - they too give off a lot of body heat. And someone who did Reikki (sp?) on me @ a "slow yoga" class had to take off her top shirt because I generated so much body heat at her.

It's sure not because I'm burning up fat. :lol3:

Dagmar :hot:

ICUwishing
07-16-2013, 08:21 AM
Allison, yes, I agree they're cute. :) Beyond that, hey, anything else would be a bonus.

Dagmar, I'm just the opposite. The only time I've ever had ANY body heat was the winter I was pregnant. DH thinks I'm part lizard.

Jen, nice job with the family reunion! Very cool that you're coming up on your anniversary - one down and a lifetime to go!

Toe's better today but I'm pretty sure the nail is toast. Such is life. Here I was all geeked up that it felt good enough to run, and it appears that the heat index will be so high tonight that training will be canceled. If so, I will take the opportunity to get fitted for a new pair of shoes. From the waist up, I'm still sore from Saturday's 18 holes of golf. Guess I need to do more of that!

I'm getting better with my eating and banishing the simple carbs. The ice cream thing of last Thursday set off a less-than-ideal cascade of "wantwantwant"; I think four days of that is quite enough. My mom has started back to WW, and that will also help me. ;) Partner in crime, y'know.

bargoo
07-16-2013, 11:15 AM
I brought this up in the weekly chat but will refer to it here as these postings last a little longer. Every thing that happens to me is part of my life and part of my maintenance battle. Many of you know that I am a cancer patient with breast cancer that has spread to the bone, I have been in treatment for that and have just recently learned that the cancer has spread to my brain.. I have started radiation and also a steroid medication. The steroids do cause me some concern as they can cause a weight gain and of course the radiation has it's own set of side effects. All good thoughts are welcome.

ICUwishing
07-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Bargoo, you definitely have all the best thoughts I can send. I'm sure the temptations of "comfort" food are very strong; it's a testament to your ongoing strength that you can stay focused on providing your body with the nutrition it needs during this battle. :hug:

Just Dance Girl
07-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Bargoo, you definitely have my good thoughts and prayers.

Shannon in ATL
07-16-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm now three weeks into my healthier habits. DH says he can see a difference. I can't so much yet, but I'm hopeful that my eye just can't tell. I feel better, so that is good. :)

Bargoo - :hug:

silverbirch
07-16-2013, 02:54 PM
I've just had some very nice broccoli which had just the right bite to it. With a little pasta (farfalle - butterflies) and a fantastically successful sauce. Bolognaise but stretched out with a tin of black-eyed beans and a large aubergine. Eight meals in all! *Becky*, I spell this out as it went down extremely well with my in-house male teenage metabolism rep.

Friends, I'm eating too much. And I made the fatal mistake of looking at my naked rear-view in the bathroom mirror. Some nice muscles but the fat isn't good.

I like your DH's feedback, Shannon! Encouraging.

lin43
07-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Bargoo, I am saddened by what you're going through (I did not know of your cancer until your most recent post). I just said a prayer for you after I read your post.

silverbirch
07-16-2013, 06:10 PM
It was rather too busy to think here earlier but it's a lovely quiet summer evening now. Bargoo, what was in my mind was that I thought you might like the broccoli I had for tea (if you like that kind of veg). Not a comfort food as in pies and puddings but something very satisying. Good with soy sauce, ginger and spring onion. Ha, I've convinced myself all over again! You can guess what's on tomorrow's menu.

Mudpie
07-17-2013, 06:24 AM
:hot: :hot: :hot: The heat is draining all the energy out of me. I tried to put some of that back last night by eating weird stuff. Didn't work. :devil: No surprise that.

I live with central air from Monday on the next 2 weeks so that should help quite a bit (we have window units in 2 rooms only so my office is a hot box). I am going to try eating a lot of salad/protein dinners. And it's much harder to snack if a bulldog is sitting on your feet, drooling on your legs as she watches you snack. :p

Dagmar :flame:

bargoo
07-17-2013, 07:33 AM
It was rather too busy to think here earlier but it's a lovely quiet summer evening now. Bargoo, what was in my mind was that I thought you might like the broccoli I had for tea (if you like that kind of veg). Not a comfort food as in pies and puddings but something very satisying. Good with soy sauce, ginger and spring onion. Ha, I've convinced myself all over again! You can guess what's on tomorrow's menu.

Birchie, I had Broccoli cheese soup for lunch ,yesterday. What is broccoli pie. care to share ?

On the other hand I have been on the steroids 5 days and have gained 4 pounds.

ICUwishing
07-17-2013, 10:05 AM
shannon - feeling better radiates to the outside! Isn't it cool that it only takes 3 weeks to reclaim some of that energy?

silver - your broccoli dish sounds wonderful! We're beginning to find that our in-house rep is getting less reliable as a source of "taste" feedback. He's getting that somewhat-crazed look of "I can't get enough food!". And as we all know, what that really means is "I can't get enough nutrition!" to support the body that grew 7 inches in 1 year, yet only put on 7 pounds. Needless to say, the grocery bill is growing too!

Dagmar, one of my bunnies has a very unhealthy craving for potato chips and pretzels. It is impossible to enjoy a serving of either one in the living room (the rabbits refuse to touch the tile, so the kitchen is safe), as she will jump into your lap and schmooze - which leaves fur EVERYWHERE. A furry potato chip is not appetizing, even to me. :p Bulldog drool on my feet and wheedling brown eyes staring at me would be an equal deterrent, I'd think.

bargoo, if the number stresses you, maybe hide the scale for a bit? I couldn't tell from your comment if you were just dispassionately observing the work of the steroids or not. As you've said, "it is what it is". If they help the double vision ... that would balance things out.

I am working on my plan for the rest of the summer and the next 5 years. Getting back to 148 or less is definitely a big priority, and getting truly fit is even higher on the list.

bargoo
07-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Oh, Becky . I am distressed about seeing the number go up. I really do not want to , or think I should cut calories. My insurance will include dietician/ nutritionist consults. I may take advantage of that. The double vision is certainly a pain you know where but it is what is causing it that is the real problem.

Desiderata
07-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Sorry to be another lurker/thread-interjecter - but you have my best wishes as well, bargoo.

You may already know this better than me, but my understanding (from my doctors and Dr. Google :p) is that while steroid treatments can have a documented effect on metabolism/real weight gain (separate from hunger issues), it takes long-term courses to see that. In the short run, the immediate weight jumps are from water retention/general screwiness - not fat gain. (This might not allay your concern entirely if you're looking at a long course, but I am sure those recent 4 lbs are water-related.)

I know my weight likes to shoot up even on very short-term, low-dose steroids - and then takes extra time to come back off. It's distressing and unpleasant, but not real gain.

bargoo
07-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Sorry to be another lurker/thread-interjecter - but you have my best wishes as well, bargoo.

You may already know this better than me, but my understanding (from my doctors and Dr. Google :p) is that while steroid treatments can have a documented effect on metabolism/real weight gain (separate from hunger issues), it takes long-term courses to see that. In the short run, the immediate weight jumps are from water retention/general screwiness - not fat gain. (This might not allay your concern entirely if you're looking at a long course, but I am sure those recent 4 lbs are water-related.)

I know my weight likes to shoot up even on very short-term, low-dose steroids - and then takes extra time to come back off. It's distressing and unpleasant, but not real gain.

Thanks for that info. I will keep it in mind.

ICUwishing
07-18-2013, 08:41 AM
Yesterday was a good day - no non-meal eating, and I kept busy during my "danger" hours between arriving home and dinner. This needs to become my new normal. :yes:

I'm generally not much of a mirror person; I find myself rather boring to look at. For the last few days though, I've had this weird sense of feeling "big" in my normal space. Not fat - my clothes don't feel different and I don't have any of the negative spin ... it's more of a clunky, awkward, pushing borderlines sort of thing. Like I'm overlapping into places I'm not supposed to be. :shrug: Strange.

silverbirch
07-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Becky, maybe you're just mirroring your boy as he grows and pushes the boundaries! Proprioception: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprioception

saef
07-18-2013, 11:43 AM
I made myself get on the scale this morning because I've felt all week as though I've ballooned up. I'd even imagined specific numbers. So it was a relief to see that yes, even though the visible fluid retention had added a few pounds, it was nowhere near what I'd been imagining.

This week's gain seems partly due to the heat wave we've been experiencing, which I find myself not minding as much as I would have years ago because I look decent in tank tops, thanks to all the strength training. And partly due to stress, as I'm trying to attain escape velocity from my job before a week of vacation. But I'm not looking forward a lot to the vacation because there will be a lot of duty visits to relatives with my mother in tow. I'm telling myself it will be more relaxing & fun than I think it will be.

traveling michele
07-18-2013, 12:32 PM
I'm so sorry to hear your news Bargoo. You will be in my daily prayers. Thank you for sharing. Please keep us posted.

Shannon in ATL
07-18-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm still hanging at the same weight as last week, and feel pretty bloated. My rings are a little tight today, so obviously retaining some fluids. I'm considering restarting my colace, too. Things aren't always working smoothly there, either. :eek:

Saef - heat always makes me feel heavy.

Bargoo - how are you feeling today? I've been thinking about you.

alinnell
07-18-2013, 01:05 PM
My rings were tight last weekend, and I know I had gained and wasn't going to worry about it until after the vacation, but surprisingly I seem to have lost 2 pounds. I'll take it! I'll take any kind of loss!!

JayZeeJay
07-18-2013, 02:06 PM
I have been weighing myself monthly, no more, for the past three months. I was hoping that this way, I wouldn't waste so much mental energy worrying about maintenance and loss. Very strangely, I have now weighed EXACTLY the same thing on all three weigh-ins. Either my scale is broken and only reads either zero or 137.5 (possible, I suppose) or this is working. It helps that I weigh at the same time every month (5 days after TOM starts, so at the point of minimum bloating). I think I'll keep trying this to see if it is enough.

saef
07-18-2013, 07:32 PM
JayZeeJay, for the longest time my scale read exactly the same weight. That was how I discovered that sometimes, I've got to re-set it. It has a memory, unfortunately. So before a weigh-in, I do plank on it with my hands, then stand up (incidentally, my plank can be as much as 104 pounds on my hands!), and then when I stand on the scale again, I get my true weight.

Yeah, weird, especially since I weigh naked, so I'm doing a naked plank before the weigh in. ;-)

JayZeeJay
07-18-2013, 08:17 PM
JayZeeJay, for the longest time my scale read exactly the same weight. That was how I discovered that sometimes, I've got to re-set it. It has a memory, unfortunately. So before a weigh-in, I do plank on it with my hands, then stand up (incidentally, my plank can be as much as 104 pounds on my hands!), and then when I stand on the scale again, I get my true weight.

Yeah, weird, especially since I weigh naked, so I'm doing a naked plank before the weigh in. ;-)

Oh crud. I bet you're right. It seems way too unlikely that I have been THAT consistent over months of time. Now the fear and dread are starting to creep in...how far off am I? Ten pounds? A HUNDRED and ten pounds? :) OK, not likely.

But in any case I'm going home tonight to do a naked plank on my scale before the BF comes home to witness it (though he's seen me do much weirder things). Now I wish I hadn't eaten two lunches.

silverbirch
07-19-2013, 03:30 AM
I don't want to spoil things but I just step on mine with one foot. I do that each time I want to use it. (I don't want to at the moment but I think I should.)

Mudpie
07-19-2013, 06:25 AM
I don't want to spoil things but I just step on mine with one foot. I do that each time I want to use it. (I don't want to at the moment but I think I should.)

I haven't been weighing more than once a week and it's really starting to show - literally! I am now up to over 138 lbs. and my stomach is bulging. I will reset my scale too - probably with your method birchie - but I don't think that will change the now too, too high number.

A lot of my overeating involves my failing relationship with DH. He just can't seem to be happy about anything that's happening and that's making me angry so I eat. I have tried to talk to him but he's so deep into his pity party that he's not hearing it.

I am about to realize a dream I've had for about half a century - owning my own home. Everyone else I talk to IS happy for me. Except my sweetie. SIGH.

I am very appreciative of all the support here. But I wish I had some face-to-face friends I could enjoy this with too.

Dagmar :dance: :(

bargoo
07-19-2013, 07:42 AM
Dagmar, is DH depressed ? This might be something to check into . Trying to deal with a person who is depressed is a losing proposition. I have no suggestions other than trying to find out.

Mudpie
07-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Dagmar, is DH depressed ? This might be something to check into . Trying to deal with a person who is depressed is a losing proposition. I have no suggestions other than trying to find out.
bargoo that's one of the frustrating things. DH is depressed and has said so numerous times. But he refuses to do anything about it. I have suggested a therapist - even found one for myself and gave him her name - but apparently there's no one that could possibly understand DH. I suggested going to a doctor for a diagnosis and possibly some meds and DH said all of that was "psychobabble" and that the drugs didn't work for him. Etc. etc. etc.

I really think DH likes being miserable. It's easier than being engaged in life and trying to move ahead etc. You can sit in front of the TV every night eating, rather than attempting to go out, or work out, or anything else.

I can't do anything about it. Except leave. And i really don't want to do that because, even with his faults, DH is the only face-to-face support I have in life. I'm not ready to be totally alone, nor do I want to be.

I'm hoping, once he starts doing some physical work on the house that will help pull him out of this rut.

Oops - gotta go to work now!

Dagmar :(

krampus
07-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Dagmar, I hope something will work out for him and at least moderate his symptoms. I see a little of your situation in my parents' relationship - my dad is severely depressed, has eaten his way to obesity and poor health, and makes almost no effort to change anything. Mom walks 3 miles a day, manages all the finances and house and yard, and is alone much of most days - she had a very hands-off-talking-about-feelings upbringing though so it may be "normal" for her.

Shannon in ATL
07-19-2013, 11:39 AM
My heart breaks when I read some of your posts, Dagmar. I hope the work on the house helps. :(

JayZeeJay
07-19-2013, 01:09 PM
bargoo I really think DH likes being miserable. It's easier than being engaged in life and trying to move ahead etc.

This I understand completely. My last BF/partner suffered from something resembling depression but with a liberal helping of anger on top. And I think this sums up a lot of it - deep deep down, he was super afraid of failure and very insecure. It was easier for him to just opt out altogether than to address it somehow.

Saef: I naked-planked last night (mine was 82 lbs) - now naked planking is a "thing"! :) The good news is that the re-weigh was 139 lbs. So I didn't spiral out of control unknowingly. But I'm pretty sure you were right, it was stuck in a memory loop. Thank goodness it didn't remember some ridiculously high weight - imagine if it was 20 lbs more and I kept thinking that no matter what I did, I was going to be 160! I'd be down to 800 calories a day by now out of sheer desperation. Stupid scales and their stupid powers.

CherryPie99
07-19-2013, 01:12 PM
Naked planking on scale - the new internet obsession?

LOL

When I want to reset my scale I just put one leg on it and apply a little pressure... :p

Shannon in ATL
07-19-2013, 01:56 PM
I didn't naked plank on the scale yesterday, but I might give it a try in the morning. LOL Though my scale did change today, so I can't say it is stuck on the exact same thing.

krampus
07-19-2013, 02:42 PM
Instead of naked planking, I put my scale on the rug and fold the rug a bit so it's uneven. I have found I can often get it to nudge down .2 from the initial step-on.

If I told anyone else this, I would sound insane!

saef
07-19-2013, 03:05 PM
I should explain that the very first naked plank ever occurred because my scale refuses to weigh me unless I have two weights pressed down & equally balanced on either side of it. One must be still & balanced to obtain a reading; otherwise it tells me I'm off-balance & it says "Err." If I just put on foot or leg on one side, it won't re-set.

JayZeeJay, whew, glad we caught this in time. No, you weren't really that far off, but in our world, as Krampus knows, even .2 pounds is fraught with significance.

Dagmar, this was poignant to read.

... even with his faults, DH is the only face-to-face support I have in life. I'm not ready to be totally alone, nor do I want to be.

Can you change that?

What if you suddenly had to?

I mean, what if you didn't leave him, but he left you, due to accident or ill-health, to pursue passionate adultery, or while running from the law, you would still have this problem to face. As we all do. It's the existential dilemma that we're all alone, ultimately.

I can't be the only one who wishes you got more respect from the men in your life. (In fact, I know I'm not -- I'm pretty sure Bargoo has some thoughts on this situation.) From where I sit, you are a strong woman who's been tied to a lot of dead weight in the form of depressed and angry males. First your father, now your husband. I only know you through the mediation of this laptop screen, but I refuse to believe you are completely unlikable in real life. Dogs know.

[Hearing Beyonce's "Irreplaceable" in my head as I type this.]

Shannon in ATL
07-19-2013, 03:39 PM
I can't be the only one who wishes you got more respect from the men in your life. (In fact, I know I'm not -- I'm pretty sure Bargoo has some thoughts on this situation.) From where I sit, you are a strong woman who's been tied to a lot of dead weight in the form of depressed and angry males. First your father, now your husband. I only know you through the meditation of this laptop screen, but I refuse to believe you are completely unlikable in real life. Dogs know.

[Hearing Beyonce's "Irreplaceable" in my head as I type this.]

Dagmar - this, exactly. I've been in a marriage where I was belittled and undermined and dismissed by my husband, and I was terrified to leave because I felt like I couldn't survive on my own. That I would never find anyone else and I would be alone forever. That I didn't deserve better. I was alone for a little while, yes, but now I'm not.

I'm always here to chat if you want to hit me on FB or here on a PM, honey.

silverbirch
07-19-2013, 06:56 PM
Hesitating to weigh in.

I saw a picture today - I think it was on that "You Are Awesome" site saef posted - of a woman standing up paddling. I thought, "that's what Dagmar does!" I've never seen it before. So impressive. Such fun.

Dagmar, I've been struck in the past how much you seem to like canoeing and stand-up paddling. I wonder if you (just you) could meet some people through this? Yes, I know it's a busy time for you with the house and so on, but these are the months people are out on the water. Jessica has talked about meet-ups: I don't really know what they are but they sound promising. Perhaps there's a watersports one like her cooking club. Or another club. But just for you.

I've also been stuck in a relationship with a depressed man. It was very difficult to get out of but my life was going nowhere in it. After I left (I lived in a very cold caravan - trailer? - that winter and then I slept on the floor at the office) things started to improve. Step by step but they improved. Things changed when I decided I *had* to put myself first.

Must turn out the light. Night night, all

Mudpie
07-20-2013, 07:07 AM
Thank you all for the support re DH. He is in a big negative :mad: state but he CAN be a happy, affectionate, funny and intelligent companion. I know that man is still in there :love: and I'm kinda hoping all this new stuff will bring him back out.

I'm not making excuses for DH (well I am a bit :shrug:) but he is not all bad like I sometimes make him out to be. There is a lot of insecurity and self-directed anger in him. He worked damn hard for close to 4 years to get his CMA and had end goals and all of that didn't happen. He's over 50 and despairing :stress: of ever making something of himself. I have been in that place.

And yesterday he came home with some new tools and an eagerness to get into the new place and start taking down the stuff in the basement so that the HVAC guys can start down there.

He has always had a project and, since the band he was in folded, he is at a loss. I think the house reno will become his new project and there's enough to do there to keep him busy for the next 10 years! :p

As for my dad saef your assesment is correct. There is only pure meaness there and I will be very relieved when he finally dies. I feel no urge to try to reconcile with him and keep hoping for that phone call to let me know it's all over. That sounds really harsh but it is what it is.

Dagmar :dance:

alinnell
07-20-2013, 08:21 PM

It seems that Zaggora breached the UK's advertising laws by overclaiming. The Advertising Standards Authority told them to go and get some proper evidence (http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2012/8/Celu_Lite-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_179699.aspx)

and they asked the Chelsea School of Sport, University of Brighton to test them. Granted I'm on the phone, but the first place I can see the results is here (http://makeupuniversity.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/zagorra-hot-pants-hot-and-worth-it-for.html?m=1). Makeup University?

So I really don't know. Would you like to be our guinea-pig, Allison??

I looked them up after getting an ad for them Allison, and now I get google ads for them ALL THE TIME. LOL

And I'm greatly entertained by "Makeup University".

I suspect they will go the way of the Sketchers Shape Up.

Well, I decided to order them and they arrived today. All I can say is that they're very similar (if not identical) to wet suit material. They're a little more difficult to get into than regular yoga pants and once on they're kind of slimming. I would imagine exercising in them would induce extra sweat but whether or not that means extra weight loss, who knows. But they are cute!

traveling michele
07-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Dd and I are off to Carmel today with Dewey the dachshund. There is a huge dachshund picnic on the beach. We've not been before but there should be over 100 doxies there! Carmel is known as the most dog friendly city in the country. We are staying at a dog friendly b & b and are planning to eat at a restaurant with a dog menu! Probably won't get any exercise in and food will be off plan but still excited.

I didn't workout at all in Texas last week. Been back two days and worked out both days but I still don't feel back in my routine. I'll have to get back on plan next week. My weight was good yesterday (125) but back up two pounds today. Dd wanted cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory .... I didn't have any but I had extra fruit plus we ate at PF Changs. We also stopped at a pet store and fell in love with some kittens! They were polydactyl and one was so sweet! Dd was dismayed we couldn't adopt him! She told me she would never eat steak or cheesecake ever again if we got him.... Her two fave foods!

In other cat news.... Older dd's cat has hid in the bathroom since she moved to Texas over a week ago. Hopefully he eventually decides his new digs are okay. We are thinking he may wait till my dh goes there in two weeks! He is going to help her with her shipment... Her couch, etc. so he will recognize his stuff!

ICUwishing
07-23-2013, 08:46 AM
Dagmar, having house projects to play with might be a terrific thing for DH. Mine usually has two going on at any one time, just so he has a choice of what to work on. ;) Just to put in my two cents - I have been the depressed side of the relationship equation. What worked, and continues to work every time I spiral back into the hole, is finding a PURPOSE. I am sure it was a huge letdown to DH to work his fanny off for the certification and to not have it play out like the fantasy. He may find that he really enjoys working with his hands and completing things around the house - which would be awesome for you, because that task list is INFINITE!

michele, the idea of 100 weiner dogs on a beach made me laugh out loud! That's definitely a Kodak moment!

The weight groove is feeling like a rut. I have been working on my 5-year plan in my head and it's the prioritization that's a problem. Even at my most efficient, I don't seem to be able to carve out the hours I need to do the things I would find meaningful. My solution (temporary and trivial, but hey, it was something!) was to go out and buy a Powerball ticket. :D For $2, it buys 48 hours of grand fantasy.

Shannon in ATL
07-23-2013, 03:55 PM
I made it through the weekend with a good diet. I did decide to take off from exercise on Sunday, I was pretty sore. I still got five days in last week, so I'm okay with it.

JayZeeJay
07-23-2013, 08:03 PM
I made it through the weekend with a good diet. I did decide to take off from exercise on Sunday, I was pretty sore. I still got five days in last week, so I'm okay with it.

You've been doing really well staying on plan recently!! :carrot:
(I've always wanted to use the carrot)

saef
07-23-2013, 11:07 PM
Shannon, I find you inspiring.

I'm on vacation, eating according to other people's whims and needs, going hungry a lot longer than I would normally. This better lead to something.

I'm dreading a family cookout this Saturday, but my mother more or less begged me to attend so she wouldn't be alone, seeing family she hasn't seen in 40 years.

ICUwishing
07-24-2013, 10:35 AM
Shannon, :woohoo: ! Good for you on getting back in the groove - like saef said, it IS inspiring!

saef, I'm sorry you're dreading the cookout. :hug: I've had to go to two funerals recently and have realized that there are actually some pretty neat people in my family. Surprise! I hope your vacation refreshes you and doesn't result in a scale punishment.

Ran with my training group last night; I had a choice of 5 miles on the road, or roughly 3 miles of speedwork with 1 mile warmup/cooldowns - I chose the track and have a nice case of "zombie legs" today. I have some work to do with catching back up - I have a 5k Color Run on 8/3, and then the 10 mile on 8/24. After removing last week's appalling bloat, my scale continues to report 152.0 or 152.5 day after day. I think it's time to go back to the 1 pound at a time mindset. Thus, this week's target is the 151's.

Shannon in ATL
07-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Thanks guys. :o

I'm not sure how inspiring I feel. My weight isn't moving any way but up and I feel bloated and uncomfortable all the time. It is making me very frustrated and wanting to be done with the healthy diet and exercise. I was maintaining at this same weight when I wasn't exercising a whit and was eating whatever I got my hands on. Meh.

My exercise for July so far, plus I did the last two days in June that you just can't see on here.
http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq12/ShannoninATL/July2013ExerciseCalendar.png

Becky - sounds like a great run!

Saef - vacations always make me feel out of control. You can do it.

traveling michele
07-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Hugs Shannon. I feel your frustration!

I saw my endocrinologist yesterday and as usual, he ignored me when I mentioned weight gain. My thyroid levels are stable.

I have my yearly physical today. I'll see if this doc listens. Then I have to have a crown replaced. Not looking forward to either of these! I'm a wimp at the dentist. Yuck!

CherryPie99
07-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Shannon - I know your frustration. Hopefully you will be rewarded for your good work with a WHOOSH soon!

I am experiencing the exact opposite - nothing has changed for me exercise or eating wise and my weight right now is the lowest it has EVER been consistently all week. Don't get me wrong, this makes me happy except for the unpredictable nature of it!!! I wish I knew what makes our bodies do these weird things!

On the good side I am approaching my maintenance-aversary of 1 year. So I'm feeling that I've been pretty successful.

Jen

krampus
07-24-2013, 01:24 PM
michele, good luck at the dentist! I have an 8 AM fillings appointment tomorrow.

I'm in the same boat as you, Jen. I feel like if anything I'm eating a bit worse and slacking on exercise. 120.0 even though we had Chinese takeout last night.

saef
07-24-2013, 03:05 PM
Sometimes this all feels so random and focused effort seems futile, or maybe I am just not good at delayed gratification.

The cookout starts at 2 PM. This seems like good news. I could eat beforehand, then say I'm not hungry, like Scarlett at the Barbeque, but I'll have to watch myself after a couple hours. Why do I feel like this is one of those social functions that will last much, much longer than it ought to, like wedding receptions that continue for hours & hours beyond my conversational powers or tolerance for social situations? Becky, you're right, I'll probably find at least one interesting relative.

Shannon in ATL
07-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Cookouts are good ones for me to wander around with a drink and talk to people, not have to eat. I love the Scarlett at the Barbeque reference, I had forgotten our discussion of that. LOL Find that interesting relative and latch on to them, learn everything about them.

silverbirch
07-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Reading not posting. Had better change that.

Not a great day today though not terrible either. I had to squeeze in a lot at work, only took morning snack with me (apple, a few nuts), did not want food midday (too hot, on a roll with work etc), had a few nuts and a piece of chocolate. Had late lunch of tin of sardines, a few oatcakes and two tomatoes. Got home and had slice of fabulous polenta cake (made for first time by the DB so clearly not possible to turn down). Small tea (cod, anchovy sauce, kale, v little potato). Tension building in the SO about our trip to see his father after his mother's death in May/June. And in me about the hot, itchy weather, and having to drive and (secretly, between ourselves) about having to spend too much time with strangers and semi-strangers. And have just had another smallish slice of polenta cake and glass of milk in bed.

I quite like meeting people and chatting. What I don't like is when I can't see the exit. I like to have, require almost, an escape route.

I don't know Gone with the Wind so the Scarlett reference is lost on me. I'll have to fill this gap in my knowledge.

JayZeeJay
07-24-2013, 08:03 PM
I too am reading but rarely posting. So...

Been "sort of" on plan with eating. The nice thing about bike commuting to work every day is that the exercise is built-in to the day. It is 15 mandatory miles of riding (round trip) with a few mandatory big hills. Any exercise on top of that is gravy. Plus I get to be a bit smug about it at work - just kidding, I'm not one of those people!

The down side is that it allows me more flexibility in my eating than I used to have. Like, "Leftover cookies in the conference room? Heck yeah! I burned those calories off already!" But, if I eat in a controlled fashion (and this needs to happen more often than it is), this daily exercise makes maintenance much easier than it used to be for me.

Shannon in ATL
07-25-2013, 12:30 PM
:tantrum: Bah. Up another pound today. Again. :tantrum:

silverbirch
07-26-2013, 06:11 AM
Not too happy here. After a year or so working on ironing out back and shoulders pain and niggles (almost there), I find that my shoulders are broader than they were. Just a bit, I suppose, but when put together with my lower body pudge we are looking at problems with the summer wardrobe.

In particular, the secondhand (probably "vintage") blouse I wear to emphasise my small waist and nice arms etc has become too tight to drive in.
I wear this blouse a lot in the summer usually as it gets me through tricky situations. Argh.

A few other blouses.

No trousers which fit apart from a black viscose pair which are cut very well but have not washed well.

The thighs are ridiculously large now. Two bias-cut linen skirts don't look nice. The skirt from a suit I wore after I had the DB (he's 13) and even this is a bit tight.

I have three dresses which are OK.

Three nighties of varying ages and a dressing gown. I look great in these.

I think separates aren't working on me at present.

I like clothes which you don't have to tug at and fiddle with as you wear them to make them hang properly. I like clothes which allow air to circulate round the body. I don't like tight clothes.

OK. Thanks for letting me moan. We are off to the in-laws tomorrow for a week. You can understand that I'd like to look gorgeous and not a slobby almost 58 y o with their 46 y o son. I don't like shopping (and we have very little choice here) but I'll try to find something today.

traveling michele
07-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Good luck Birch. I hope you find something lovely and flattering!