Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 317/257/167

Height: 5'2"

Default Is it bad to take a day off?

I been going to the gym for about a month now. I try to go most days only taking days off when I have plans I can't avoid, but today I am just SO TIRED.

I've gone the past 6 days in a row and yesterday I was really sluggish. I was walking slower than usual and my heart rate was higher than usual. Today I just feel SO TIRED. I'm thinking maybe I'm over doing it? Maybe I just need a day off, but I don't want to feel guilty about it. lol I guess I just want reassurance that it's okay to take a "rest day"
kwin1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 141.4/138.2/126.8

Height: 5'7"

Don't feel guilty! You may be working out to much. I think your body is asking you for a break. Take one and relax.
AngelicPeony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130

You need a day off! If your body is saying that you are truly too tired to work out, then you probably are!
GordonGirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #4  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

rest days are a MUST! You don't need to be a lazy log on rest days, but there is no reason you need to kill yourself at the gym every single day. You need to give your muscles a chance to heal between workouts!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGirl16 View Post
You need a day off! If your body is saying that you are truly too tired to work out, then you probably are!
^^^^^This!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

What exercise are you doing? You can do light/medium intensity cardio just about every day, but if you are strength training or doing higher intensity cardio you absolutely must take breaks. Your body rebuilds muscle when you rest. Ignoring your body when it needs a rest is a surefire way to get injured/get sick.

Last edited by stella1609; 06-05-2013 at 10:11 PM.
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #7  
Is walking to Mt. Doom

S/C/G: 195/ticker/135

Height: 5 ft 7

Yep, you definately need rest days thrown in with the mix!

Rest days allow your muscle fibres to rebuild stronger. If you don't allow them the time to heal, you can end up with muscle scarring which will not be pleasent later in life.

I tend to drop my calories on rest days to counteract the lack of activity

Last edited by lilsquirrel; 06-05-2013 at 10:18 PM.
lilsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #8  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

my calories are naturally lower on rest days most of the time....I also give myself rest days as needed, usually on weekends when my routine is different...keeps me from getting bored, injured or burned out

however I DO have days where I just DO NOT want to run and I bargain with myself like "do half of it" or "just do the running warm up part" and then give myself permission if I truly feel too tired or like I need to stop, that I will stop running and just walk out the rest of the 45 minutes on the treadmill

that's only happened once or twice that I can remember....once I had full intentions of doing a running workout on the treadmill and started to run and my whole mind and body just said "NOOOOO" and I just stopped and walked....I don't even know why, but I believe in listening to your body and when my body said that loudly that day "NO" I listened...and that never happened again

the only other time I quit in the middle of a workout was when I was running and really struggling to breathe....turns out I had pneumonia but that's another story
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwin1973
I been going to the gym for about a month now. I try to go most days only taking days off when I have plans I can't avoid, but today I am just SO TIRED.

I've gone the past 6 days in a row and yesterday I was really sluggish. I was walking slower than usual and my heart rate was higher than usual. Today I just feel SO TIRED. I'm thinking maybe I'm over doing it? Maybe I just need a day off, but I don't want to feel guilty about it. lol I guess I just want reassurance that it's okay to take a "rest day"
the last rest day I took I hit the gym the next day and beat my running record my a mile and a half the time before that I beat it by a mile! I don't take alot of rest days but when I do I do great things the next day! DO IT!

Posted from 3fatchicks.com App for Android
Jeannierae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #10  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

I think of it as a Mental Health Day!

Regroup and come back refreshed
Always remember this is suppose to be good for your spirit not just the body
Enjoy playing Hooky

Roo2
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote