Old 06-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/181/175

Height: 5'10

Default insomnia related to IP?

I am not 100% ready to blame it on IP because I experienced this years ago as well, however the last few weeks (maybe 3?) I have had a hard time falling asleep.
It honestly could be job stress or excitement over my IP progress, but it sometimes takes me 2-3 hrs to fall asleep each night. When it started happening I dusted off my old melatonin bottle and within 30-45 minutes later. Can sleep but then don't really want to wake up.

Is this a normal side effect? Is there by chance caffeine in the chocolate drink I have each night as a snack?
IPguy442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/163/148

Height: 5'4"

I had a lot of trouble sleeping the first week - but then, I also had trouble concentrating, had a headache and could not get out of my own way I was SO exhausted. I doubt there would be caffeine in the chocolate since there is none in the cappucino drink (I asked). It could be your hormones surging as your fat cells release them.
SeattleNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #3  
Started IP 5/29/13

S/C/G: 192/179/135

Height: 5'5.5"

I am experiencing this too - I feel tired and yet not sleepy at night. I'll have to try melatonin. I'm getting only about 6 hours of sleep and really need more.
Tomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #4  

I definitely experienced this when doing phase 1 (I have been maintaining for several months now). It was horrible! I was so tired physically and emotionally from the diet but really struggled to sleep. In general, I really didn't feel great like others report while on IP. I felt anxious and all over the place. I think there is a lot of artificial ingredients in the foods which can trigger sensitivies. Maybe try a sleep aid if it doesn't improve.
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #5  

I had sleep disturbances for at least 6 weeks.

The estrogen released when fat is burned upsets many hormones in the body, including cortisol. It also can affect thyroid and adrenal function.

Many things to be monitored by a good quality practitioner.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #6  
4/15/13

S/C/G: 232.4/TTT/160

Height: 5'9"

I seem to have the opposite, I feel like I cannot get enough sleep, I'm going to sleep at least 1 hour earlier than I used to and wake up to wanting to go back to sleep... been on IP for 7 weeks now, at least I don't feel drained and weak anymore like I did at the start
accgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:24 AM   #7  

Default yes, I had trouble sleeping

As my body was going into ketosis on about the 4th day, I had trouble sleeping. Intensely wound up, like I was on something. It lasted a few days. This happened both when I initially started IP and when I went back to it. The only other time I have been that wound up at night was when I accidently took too much allergy/cold medicine years ago.
LilacPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #8  
Getting there!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/158

Height: 5'6

I experienced sleep challenges and the odd thing was I was not tired, I was wired and energized. It lasted for a few weeks and I took OTC Advil PM occasionally. It passed for me. It is really important to get quality sleep.
workingit50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Insomnia is a normal response to significant calorie and/or carb restriction. It's usually temporary though your sleep needs can also apparently change. I'm not on IP, but I do have a lot of experience with dieter's insomnia.

Without sleep studies I can't be sure, but I feel like I sleep better/deeper on low-carb. I definitely feel more fatigued and sleep longer on high carb, needed 10 or more hours of sleep to feel functional. On low-carb I feel decent on 6-7 and rarely sleep more than 8.

I know that seems like a lot of sleep to anyone working and/or taking care of a family, but sleep is a priority for me to control my fibromyalgia symptoms. I'd gladly sleep 12 hours if it meant less pain and more energy (especially the energy. I can do a lot in pain, I can do almost nothing when I'm tired and groggy).

I take a small dose of melatonin every night, but I take it early - at least 2 hours before I fall asleep, and that seems to help with clearheadedness when waking up.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote